Dumbest thing overheard at SW:SE

Xkot

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

Have you ever heard someone make such a stupid comment that you just have
to wonder why they even bother getting out of bed in the morning?

When I saw SW:SE, the film broke right as R2 began playing Leia's message
to Luke. Naturally, everyone in the audience was pretty peeved, but one
guy behind me tried to calm everyone by saying "What do you all expect?
I'm not surprised the film broke. After all, it's 20 years old!"

::groan::

Chris Pierson

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

In article <19970201104...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

I hope everyone reacted appropriately -- mocking laughter, pained winces
and a boot to the head. :)

Chris Pierson ** Films to watch for: Swingers, Albino Alligator, Shine,
Game Designer ** Mother, Breaking the Waves, Prisoner of the Mountains

Hellspawn

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

In article <5cvost$d...@news-central.tiac.net>, cpie...@tiac.net says...

I can top that!

The guy behind me was a star wars nut and was trying to impress his
girlfriend and buddies with all his knowledge. Among his facts:

Lucas invented THX.
Lucas invented CGI.
Lucas filmed some scenes for ANH, like the Jabba scene, knowing that he
didn't have the technology to complete it, but knew that he would create CGI
in the future.
THX, unlike normal surround, which has a front, left, right, and rear-left
and rear-right channel (Which is wrong anyway), THX has TWELVE channels.

I know he said more, but I was too busy trying not to laugh to hear
everything!

Hellspawn

StrScream

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

The dumbest thing I heard, and this topped the guy behind me who kept
going "Shiiiit" for ever new scene, was the enourmous crowd uproar over
Fett's glance at the camera. Hey, Fett wasn't working for Jabba until
AFTER ESB. Wow, can you say shameless fan wank material. Some guy said
"Fett should get his own movie. He's such a bad ass." *sigh* I bid first
for the Gonk movie and Greedo film. I should start the Greedo fan club.

Matt Fanter
---VictoryLeo---

"I got the poison, I got the remedy"

David R. Heffelfinger

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

El...@Virginia.edu (Chris Ellis) wrote:

>The Greedo Scene alteration makes no sense; Greedo just shoots into the air.
>I've seen Lucas's explanation, but it's quite lame. They'd better
>change it back for video.

[snip]

>The only possible explanation I can come up with is that Greedo missed on
>purpose because Jabba wanted him alive. This is, admittedly, unconvincing. Any
>ideas?

This is what *I think* may have happened. (Then again I will need to
watch the scene again when it comes out on video.)

Han noticed that Greedo was about to blast him, so he drew his blaster
and "fried" Greedo first, Greedo was shot at the same time he was
pulling the trigger, but Han's blast made him miss.

MTFBWY,
Heffel
"Ä„Raro Prodigio! Ä„Culta Maravilla! | "Who is General Failure,
El pan de Dios lo tiene todo el mundo, | and why is he reading
Pero el agua de Dios solo Aguadilla!" | my disk?"
- José de Diego |

joanne watkins

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

hef...@pipeline.com (David R. Heffelfinger) wrote:
>El...@Virginia.edu (Chris Ellis) wrote:
>
>>The Greedo Scene alteration makes no sense; Greedo just shoots into the air.
>>I've seen Lucas's explanation, but it's quite lame. They'd better
>>change it back for video.
>
>[snip]
>
>>The only possible explanation I can come up with is that Greedo missed on
>>purpose because Jabba wanted him alive. This is, admittedly, unconvincing. Any
>>ideas?
>

>This is what *I think* may have happened. (Then again I will need to
>watch the scene again when it comes out on video.)
>
>Han noticed that Greedo was about to blast him, so he drew his blaster
>and "fried" Greedo first, Greedo was shot at the same time he was
>pulling the trigger, but Han's blast made him miss.
>
>MTFBWY,
>Heffel

No,no,no! Greedo shot FIRST, a split second before Han did! That is why we are so pissed off. Han's fate was put in the hands of =
a incompetent bounty hunter, who would have killed him had his aim been true. The Han we all know and love would never have let Gre=
edo get the first shot off; GL really botched this one, and no one really knows why.

Dannik Jerriko
(-o-)
--jwa...@mail.telis.org--

'Jabba, you're a wonderful human being.'

Thomas Brenndorfer

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

> Han noticed that Greedo was about to blast him, so he drew his blaster
> and "fried" Greedo first, Greedo was shot at the same time he was
> pulling the trigger, but Han's blast made him miss.

The second time I saw the movie I thought this as well. There is a delay
with Greedo falling, but only because it takes a while for a creature to
die from a blast in the stomach. We don't actually SEE Han's shot, so it
may very well be that both fired very close to each other, with Greedo
being hit at the exact time he pulled the trigger.

In any case, the timing is so tight that Han may very well have decided to
shoot when the Greedo blast zoomed by. He didn't flinch because his mind
was on his own action -- he saw it through, perhaps being aware that Greedo
was lousy at everything including shooting, and so moved on with nary a
thought except to pay his tab.

Tom Brenndorfer
tho...@msn.com

jed...@aol.com

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

As far as the Greedo thing goes, here's my take on it. Greedo's shot,
could have been merely reflexive. Maybe he jerked his trigger finger,
that would have caused him to miss to the right as he did.
Maybe Greedo DID get the drop on Solo, but Han got lucky. That sort of
thing happens all the time. I think Han had every intention of blasting
Greedo all along.
Just because Greedo got off the first shot doesn't mean Han is lame.

May the Force be with you.
JEDI AL

"Warriors, warriors we call ourselves. We fight for splendid virtue, for
high endeavor, for sublime wisdom, therefore we call ourselves warriors."

Aunguttara Nikaya

Vladimir Protic

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

joanne watkins <snow...@mail.telis.org> wrote in article
<5d2gg0$c4f$7...@news.campus.mci.net>...

hef...@pipeline.com (David R. Heffelfinger) wrote:
>El...@Virginia.edu (Chris Ellis) wrote:
>
>>The Greedo Scene alteration makes no sense; Greedo just shoots into the
air.
>>I've seen Lucas's explanation, but it's quite lame. They'd better
>>change it back for video.
>
>[snip]
>
>>The only possible explanation I can come up with is that Greedo missed on
>>purpose because Jabba wanted him alive. This is, admittedly,
unconvincing. Any
>>ideas?
>

>This is what *I think* may have happened. (Then again I will need to
>watch the scene again when it comes out on video.)
>

>Han noticed that Greedo was about to blast him, so he drew his blaster
>and "fried" Greedo first, Greedo was shot at the same time he was
>pulling the trigger, but Han's blast made him miss.
>

>MTFBWY,
>Heffel

No,no,no! Greedo shot FIRST, a split second before Han did! That is why

we are so pissed off. Han's fate was put in the hands of a incompetent

bounty hunter, who would have killed him had his aim been true. The Han we

all know and love would never have let Greedo get the first shot off; GL

really botched this one, and no one really knows why.

Dannik Jerriko
(-o-)
--jwa...@mail.telis.org--

'Jabba, you're a wonderful human being.'

----------
I also had the feeling that Han shot first. Even if he didn't I dont't
think that was the major screw up. Jabba/Han scene just didn't work for me
(especially after seeing that Scottish guy on Entertainment Tonight).
Everything else was great! I was also glad that the crowd, here in Montréal
was very enthusiastic. Perfect (almost).

Rich Handley

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

The immortal strs...@aol.com (StrScream) wrote:
>Hey, Fett wasn't working for Jabba until AFTER ESB.

Where did you get that idea? To my knowledge, there's never been
anyting of the sort said.

Later!

Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)
Visit "The Exhaustive Guide to Star Wars Comics"
at http://www.asb.com/usr/cardsafe/intro.htm

Gregg T. Allinson

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com) wrote:

: The immortal strs...@aol.com (StrScream) wrote:
: >Hey, Fett wasn't working for Jabba until AFTER ESB.

: Where did you get that idea? To my knowledge, there's never been
: anyting of the sort said.

Well, there's a sort of implication that Fett hasn't worked for Jabba
before, or at least not recently, in the radio play when Heater threatens
to hire Fett. Also, in the Holiday Special cartoon (OK, it's dubious
evidence, but it's the best I can do right now:)), Han and Chewie don't
know Fett.

--
Au Bon Pain!,
Gregg "Dave" Allinson

Visit The Scrapyard ("I don't like that Rollo!") @ http://miso.wwa.com/~roscoe
"Could Star Saber be a glutton? Does he grab up and eat his food before he
should? Did he ever wet his bed and get scolded? Was he a kid just like
us?"
-From "Seibertron Banzai", the closing theme to Transformers: Victory

Jonathan Robertson

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Xkot wrote:

> Have you ever heard someone make such a stupid comment that you just have
> to wonder why they even bother getting out of bed in the morning?
>
> When I saw SW:SE, the film broke right as R2 began playing Leia's message
> to Luke. Naturally, everyone in the audience was pretty peeved, but one
> guy behind me tried to calm everyone by saying "What do you all expect?
> I'm not surprised the film broke. After all, it's 20 years old!"
>
> ::groan::

Here's one. After the movie as the end credits were rolling by,
the kid beside me says: "Wow, Harrison Ford was in this movie."

JR

mdb

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

Before the movie and trailers start, there is a 'slide show' of things
like trivia questions, ads, info on new movies in production/on the
way out. One trivia question was Who directed The Shining. Someone
behind me said "Rob Reiner." The guy with her went, "Really" and she
replied "Yeah, I think so." I won't take points of for not knowing it
was Stanley Kubrick, but Rob Reiner???
mdb

And that
is all
the people
need
to know

John Grabowski

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

>In article <5d5tvv$f...@nr1.calgary.istar.net>, Jonathan Robertson

><jrob...@viridianinc.com> wrote:
>
>>Xkot wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you ever heard someone make such a stupid comment that you
just have
>>> to wonder why they even bother getting out of bed in the morning?
>>>
>>> When I saw SW:SE, the film broke right as R2 began playing Leia's
message
>>> to Luke. Naturally, everyone in the audience was pretty peeved, but
one
>>> guy behind me tried to calm everyone by saying "What do you all
expect?
>>> I'm not surprised the film broke. After all, it's 20 years old!"
>

>The coolest thing to say when there's a projector problem at an SE:
"I
>don't think THIS is Lucas' original vision!"

I don't think it's quite as dumb, but a group of self-styled "Star Wars
fanatics" behind me in the theater said their favorite scene is where
"Luke goes outside and stares at the two moons." Honest.

John

Spaceman Spiff

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

On 4 Feb 1997 12:51:37 GMT, joh...@ix.netcom.com(John Grabowski)
blithely scribbled:

>I don't think it's quite as dumb, but a group of self-styled "Star Wars
>fanatics" behind me in the theater said their favorite scene is where
>"Luke goes outside and stares at the two moons." Honest.

What's wrong with that? That is one of the more moving and emotional
parts of the movie, I think (and I KNOW others on here feel the same).
Besides which, it also has some of the best music in the movie at that
point. Sure, it may not be the most action packed, but I got chills
watching that scene.

-spiff

(-o-)

I've got the Fever!
-----
"Now THAT's entertainment." -Vlad the Impaler

free.chic...@pobox.com
pi...@kickinit.com

Message has been deleted

Spaceman Spiff

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

On Tue, 04 Feb 1997 08:00:44 -0800, Michael Parker
<mpa...@octfcu.org> blithely scribbled:

>John Grabowski wrote:
>>I don't think it's quite as dumb, but a group of self-styled "Star Wars
>>fanatics" behind me in the theater said their favorite scene is where
>>"Luke goes outside and stares at the two moons." Honest.
>

>Spaceman Spiff replied:

>>What's wrong with that? That is one of the more moving and emotional
>>parts of the movie, I think (and I KNOW others on here feel the same).
>>Besides which, it also has some of the best music in the movie at that
>>point. Sure, it may not be the most action packed, but I got chills
>>watching that scene.
>

>Uh, hello? Spiff? The point of John's post was to point out these
>"fans" didn't understand that Luke was staring at two SUNS, not moons.

Yes, yes, yes, I missed it this morning. Thankfully I was already
alerted to my lack of sleep by one polite individual.
I'll sleep more tonight, I promise!
But please, don't slap my wrists anymore... They're raw enough already
this morning.

Jason Brian Chapa

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

At the theater I went to, it had those trivia questions. And one of
the questions was, "What was Princess Lea's last name?" I turned to
my girlfriend and pointed out that they spelled Leia wrong. I
couldn't believe it. No one else around me seemed to notice it. Of
all the places to spell a major character's name wrong, that had to be
the worst!

| Jason Brian Chapa Jason...@tamu.edu |
| Jason...@cyberstation.net Jason...@salma.com |
| http://www.cyberstation.net/jasonchapa http://www.salma.com |

Victory Marasigan

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97
to Spaceman Spiff

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Spaceman Spiff wrote:

> On 4 Feb 1997 12:51:37 GMT, joh...@ix.netcom.com(John Grabowski)
> blithely scribbled:
>

> >I don't think it's quite as dumb, but a group of self-styled "Star Wars
> >fanatics" behind me in the theater said their favorite scene is where
> >"Luke goes outside and stares at the two moons." Honest.
> >

> What's wrong with that? That is one of the more moving and emotional
> parts of the movie, I think (and I KNOW others on here feel the same).
> Besides which, it also has some of the best music in the movie at that
> point. Sure, it may not be the most action packed, but I got chills
> watching that scene.
>

> -spiff

I believe that the "dumb thing" that he is taking issue with is the fact
that Luke was staring at two *suns*, not moons.

Victory A. Marasigan

jed...@aol.com

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

In article <01bc1150$b5252ea0$6751...@odyssee.net.Vladster>, "Vladimir
Protic" <v...@odee.net> writes:

>No,no,no! Greedo shot FIRST, a split second before Han did! That is why
>we are so pissed off. Han's fate was put in the hands of a incompetent
>bounty hunter, who would have killed him had his aim been true. The Han
we
>all know and love would never have let Greedo get the first shot off; GL
>really botched this one, and no one really knows why.

Greedo got the drop on Solo and got off a shot first and Han got lucky
that Greedo missed. Solo was going to "crispa Greedo" all along. Solo
gets lucky a lot, let's drop this already.

usher

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

the.incredible...@airmail.net (Spaceman Spiff) wrote:

>On 4 Feb 1997 12:51:37 GMT, joh...@ix.netcom.com(John Grabowski)
>blithely scribbled:
>>I don't think it's quite as dumb, but a group of self-styled "Star
>>Wars fanatics" behind me in the theater said their favorite scene is
>>where "Luke goes outside and stares at the two moons." Honest.

>What's wrong with that? That is one of the more moving and emotional
>parts of the movie, I think (and I KNOW others on here feel the
>same). Besides which, it also has some of the best music in the movie
>at that point. Sure, it may not be the most action packed, but I got
>chills watching that scene.

I was sure you would have realized that the "fan" misidentified the
objects being ogled.

usher
Rambling Old Jedi Engineer & RASSM rascal

Come chat with me: http://www.tripod.com/bin/chat/search?Melosh

Awarded the HNTC Award for Valor during the Debacle at Hallifax
Survived Sith War I (1996) with my ship intact.

I disapprove of what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire
Use soft words and hard arguments. - English proverb
The only dumb question is the unasked one.
"It isn't even wrong." - Wolfgang Pauli

Artist & Author of stuff. Down with the CDA. Up with Prop. 309.
<*> http://members.tripod.com/~Melosh/swlinks.html & index.html
"pages by usher(tm)" - coming soon to a website near you

Matt Martinez

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

mdb wrote:

> Before the movie and trailers start, there is a 'slide show' of things
> like trivia questions, ads, info on new movies in production/on the
> way out. One trivia question was Who directed The Shining. Someone
> behind me said "Rob Reiner." The guy with her went, "Really" and she
> replied "Yeah, I think so." I won't take points of for not knowing it
> was Stanley Kubrick, but Rob Reiner???

Well, Rob Reiner does have connections to Stephen King, like the fact
that he directed STAND BY ME and that he owns Castle Rock Productions
(doesn't he?). I'd say that if a person didn't know the answer it'd
seem like a reasonable guess.

--

Matt

"Do not be so proud of this technological terror you have constructed.
The ability to criticize Star Wars is insignificant next to power of the
Fans"
-Brandon David Short
(-o-)

Spaceman Spiff

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

On Tue, 04 Feb 1997 18:52:18 GMT, y...@somewhere.intime (usher)
blithely scribbled:

>the.incredible...@airmail.net (Spaceman Spiff) wrote:
>
>>On 4 Feb 1997 12:51:37 GMT, joh...@ix.netcom.com(John Grabowski)
>>blithely scribbled:
>>>I don't think it's quite as dumb, but a group of self-styled "Star
>>>Wars fanatics" behind me in the theater said their favorite scene is
>>>where "Luke goes outside and stares at the two moons." Honest.
>
>>What's wrong with that? That is one of the more moving and emotional
>>parts of the movie, I think (and I KNOW others on here feel the
>>same). Besides which, it also has some of the best music in the movie
>>at that point. Sure, it may not be the most action packed, but I got
>>chills watching that scene.
>
>I was sure you would have realized that the "fan" misidentified the
>objects being ogled.
>
>usher
>Rambling Old Jedi Engineer & RASSM rascal

(*spiff clutches his raw and bleeding wrists and moans pathetically*)
I'm sorry! Remind me never to waltz in here with less than 6 hours of
sleep again! It was one mistake!
(*groan!*)

banz...@aol.com

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

In article <32f8715d...@news.cyberstation.net>,
Jason...@cyberstation.net (Jason Brian Chapa) writes:

>On Tue, 04 Feb 1997 00:12:29 GMT, sar...@nando.net (mdb) wrote:
>
>>Before the movie and trailers start, there is a 'slide show' of things
>>like trivia questions, ads, info on new movies in production/on the
>>way out. One trivia question was Who directed The Shining. Someone
>>behind me said "Rob Reiner." The guy with her went, "Really" and she
>>replied "Yeah, I think so." I won't take points of for not knowing it
>>was Stanley Kubrick, but Rob Reiner???

>>mdb
>
>At the theater I went to, it had those trivia questions. And one of
>the questions was, "What was Princess Lea's last name?" I turned to
>my girlfriend and pointed out that they spelled Leia wrong. I
>couldn't believe it. No one else around me seemed to notice it. Of
>all the places to spell a major character's name wrong, that had to be
>the worst!

My favorite is one asking something along the lines of "Which of these
parts did Boris Karloff play?" and the choices are A, B, C, or C.

Chris

Pacarana

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

>>Xkot wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you ever heard someone make such a stupid comment that you just have
>>> to wonder why they even bother getting out of bed in the morning?
>>>
>>> When I saw SW:SE, the film broke right as R2 began playing Leia's message
>>> to Luke. Naturally, everyone in the audience was pretty peeved, but one
>>> guy behind me tried to calm everyone by saying "What do you all expect?
>>> I'm not surprised the film broke. After all, it's 20 years old!"
Or how about a kid starting into that whole recite the lines ahead of
time bit only to get his first two tries wrong! :) Thankfully, the
embarassment shut him up really quickly and he didn't try it anymore.

Gerthein Boersma

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

The one and only joh...@ix.netcom.com(John Grabowski) wrote:

>I don't think it's quite as dumb, but a group of self-styled "Star Wars
>fanatics" behind me in the theater said their favorite scene is where
>"Luke goes outside and stares at the two moons." Honest.

A very poor joke could be made at this point.

I agree with Spiff that this is a beautiful scene though (haven't seen
the SE's yet, living in Holland :(.

I *can* get recent episodes of Jay Leno here though.. anyone else
notice he's dusted off the old StarWars jokes, and is readily using
'em again? Annoying, but kinda fun (seeing as we hadrly see any TV
programmes even *mention* Starwars in this country).

- Gerthein
-----------------------
gert...@worldaccess.nl
-----------------------

Jo Grove

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

In article <Pine.SGI.3.95.970204...@umbc8.umbc.edu>, Victory Marasigan <vma...@gl.umbc.edu> says:

>On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Spaceman Spiff wrote:
>
>> On 4 Feb 1997 12:51:37 GMT, joh...@ix.netcom.com(John Grabowski)
>> blithely scribbled:
>>

>> >I don't think it's quite as dumb, but a group of self-styled "Star Wars
>> >fanatics" behind me in the theater said their favorite scene is where
>> >"Luke goes outside and stares at the two moons." Honest.
>> >
>> What's wrong with that? That is one of the more moving and emotional
>> parts of the movie, I think (and I KNOW others on here feel the same).
>> Besides which, it also has some of the best music in the movie at that
>> point. Sure, it may not be the most action packed, but I got chills
>> watching that scene.
>>

>> -spiff
>
>I believe that the "dumb thing" that he is taking issue with is the fact
>that Luke was staring at two *suns*, not moons.
>
>Victory A. Marasigan

Yep. And it *is* a moving scene...so much so that I can almost manage to
suspend my disbelief that Luke isn't spending the rest of the movie
coping with the retinal damage...! (You'd think a desert dweller would
know better!) <g>

Jo

Bradley Kulp

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

hey Jo! those were "setting suns". you've never stared into a sunset?
-
BRAD DOCKING BAY NINETY-FOUR LAM...@prodigy.com

Rich Handley

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

The immortal LAM...@prodigy.com (Bradley Kulp) wrote:
>hey Jo! those were "setting suns". you've never stared into a sunset?
>BRAD DOCKING BAY NINETY-FOUR

[Rich nods] Ninety-four....

Ernie Oporto

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

Not to mention that the scene looks extremely stupid. Greedo's gun
was not aiming in the direction that his shot went off.

-Ernie

-Ernie
--
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/9276
_____/ ____ / /Ernie "Shokk" Oporto-SysAdmin

Greg Bengston

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

ernie_...@mentorg.com (Ernie Oporto) wrote:
>Not to mention that the scene looks extremely stupid. Greedo's gun
>was not aiming in the direction that his shot went off.
>
>-Ernie

I was thinking about this, maybe Greedo's gun misfired on purpose. Han
was destined not to be killed. The force was with him. It could be
thought of as irony because Han refuses to believe that there is a force
controlling everything. It was a miracle that he was not killed. I think
that the force had something to do with his survival. You may not
believe it, Han may not believe it but I do.

I know...most people still think it was just a stupid addition to the
movie. But I see things differently than some people I guess.

Greg

Ming the Merciless

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

Yep. And it *is* a moving scene...so much so that I can almost manage
suspend my disbelief that Luke isn't spending the rest of the movie
coping with the retinal damage...! (You'd think a desert dweller would
know better!) <g>
Jo
======
well, the novelization does say something about how you could
burn your eyes out faster staring at the suns' glare on the sand
than by looking at the suns themselves . . . but remember it's
not noon, it's near evening.

sig

usher

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley) wrote:

>The immortal LAM...@prodigy.com (Bradley Kulp) wrote:
>>BRAD DOCKING BAY NINETY-FOUR

>[Rich nods] Ninety-four....

Looks like someone's beginning to take an interest in your handiwork.

usher
Rambling Old Jedi Engineer, RASSM rascal & Too Cool to be recognized

Jo Grove

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97

In article <5djgdd$24...@usenetz1.news.prodigy.com>, LAM...@prodigy.com (Bradley Kulp) says:

>hey Jo! those were "setting suns". you've never stared into a sunset?
>-
>BRAD DOCKING BAY NINETY-FOUR LAM...@prodigy.com

At the pretty colors? Yup. *Directly* at the sun itself? Nope.
Not for any appreciable length of time, anyway. I like my eyes.
They're not perfect, but they're the only ones I've got....

Besides, I'm more into starlight. :-)

Jo

Eric Fulton

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97

banz...@aol.com wrote:
: My favorite is one asking something along the lines of "Which of these

: parts did Boris Karloff play?" and the choices are A, B, C, or C.

: Chris

hehe..I got that one too. on the answer slide, they're still A,B,C,C
as choices. I enjoy seeing the backwards/upside down slides too.

(rarely see less than one/movie :)

Eric

Matt Stevens

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Greg Bengston wrote:

> I was thinking about this, maybe Greedo's gun misfired on purpose. Han
> was destined not to be killed. The force was with him. It could be
> thought of as irony because Han refuses to believe that there is a force
> controlling everything. It was a miracle that he was not killed. I think
> that the force had something to do with his survival. You may not
> believe it, Han may not believe it but I do.

I think that, if there's ever a third trilogy, Han is destined to have
some affinity with the Force. You see specific foreshadowing of this in
ROTJ--and when George Lucas uses foreshadowing, he employs it with all
the subtlety of a hammer:
--THE BIG ONE: When he's warming up the _Tydirium_, he gazes off at the
_Falcon_ with a distant look on his face. When Leia asks him what's
going on, he says, "I have a funny feeling, like I'm not going to see
her again." This winds up coming to naught in the version of ROTJ that
was released--but in the original cut, remember, the _Falcon_ was
destroyed in the Death Star, and Lando was killed. (Audiences were so
irked at the killing off of Billy Dee Williams that Lucas had to reshoot
the ending.) What produces funny feelings like that? Only the Force.
--Solo, _blind_, shoots the Sarlacc tentacle off Lando's leg. He just
says, "Trust me." That echos Kenobi's test in ANH, which he had
pooh-poohed.
--In TESB, there's a potentially symbolic moment in which Solo takes up
Luke's lightsaber to save his life.
--Solo is a singularly brilliant pilot. Unbelievable. Moreover, he's
the only guy who ever got upsun of Darth Vader. How did Vader, with the
ability to sense other people, miss his freighter? Hmmmm....
--Kenobi said "There's no such thing as luck." In other words, only
the Force guides your destiny. By this logic, to escape all the scrapes
he's been in, Solo needed either incredible luck or an incredible assist
through the Force.

I think it would be great if Han, with his cynicism and tendency toward
anger, fell toward the dark side in the third trilogy. That would set
up wonderful character situations.
Potential horror: Han, Luke and Leia are Jedi triplets.

Sincerely,
Matt Stevens
no...@inlink.com

Michael Mierzwa

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Matt Stevens (no...@inlink.com) wrote:

: I think that, if there's ever a third trilogy, Han is destined to have

: some affinity with the Force. You see specific foreshadowing of this in
: ROTJ--and when George Lucas uses foreshadowing, he employs it with all
: the subtlety of a hammer:

: --THE BIG ONE: When he's warming up the _Tydirium_, he gazes off at the
: _Falcon_ with a distant look on his face. When Leia asks him what's
: going on, he says, "I have a funny feeling, like I'm not going to see
: her again." This winds up coming to naught in the version of ROTJ that
: was released--but in the original cut, remember, the _Falcon_ was
: destroyed in the Death Star, and Lando was killed. (Audiences were so
: irked at the killing off of Billy Dee Williams that Lucas had to reshoot
: the ending.) What produces funny feelings like that? Only the Force.

Well since Lando wasn't killed ... I'd heavily discount this one.

: --Solo, _blind_, shoots the Sarlacc tentacle off Lando's leg. He just

: says, "Trust me." That echos Kenobi's test in ANH, which he had
: pooh-poohed.

Pretty good.

: --In TESB, there's a potentially symbolic moment in which Solo takes up

: Luke's lightsaber to save his life.

Actually something else of interest is that in the SW:CCG Hoth expansion
rules set it states that Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber can only be used by
Skywalkers ... "even those who don't know it yet."

: --Solo is a singularly brilliant pilot. Unbelievable. Moreover, he's

: the only guy who ever got upsun of Darth Vader. How did Vader, with the
: ability to sense other people, miss his freighter? Hmmmm....

Well that could have been Chewie, but the arguement is still valid. ;)

: --Kenobi said "There's no such thing as luck." In other words, only

: the Force guides your destiny. By this logic, to escape all the scrapes
: he's been in, Solo needed either incredible luck or an incredible assist
: through the Force.

Good again.

: I think it would be great if Han, with his cynicism and tendency

: toward anger, fell toward the dark side in the third trilogy. That
: would set up wonderful character situations.

It has been pointed out that Luke did turn to the dark side, and maybe Han
will fill in Luke shoes. ???

: Potential horror: Han, Luke and Leia are Jedi triplets.

Now that I don't care for. Han might not be Vader's son, but just related
some other way.

Michael Mierzwa

Paula

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

> Now that I don't care for. Han might not be Vader's son, but just
related
> some other way.
>
> Michael Mierzwa

or... maybe he's Anakin's son by another woman... hmmmm, Luke's older
half brother. I just have a problem with Leia and Han's relationship,
though. It would still be incest, no matter how you look at it. Guess
George knows if Han is related or not. I'm fairly sure he would say "NO."

--
Paula
pa...@onramp.net

Michael Mierzwa

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Paula (pa...@onramp.net) wrote:
: > Now that I don't care for. Han might not be Vader's son, but just
: > related some other way.

: or... maybe he's Anakin's son by another woman... hmmmm, Luke's older

: half brother. I just have a problem with Leia and Han's relationship,
: though. It would still be incest, no matter how you look at it. Guess
: George knows if Han is related or not. I'm fairly sure he would say "NO."

Right, the whole incest thing should be avoided.

Han need not be a blood relative to Luke and Leia. But somehow this is
escaping me right now. Let's start a family tree

Luke Skywalker
Leia "Organa"
came from: Anakin Skywalker
Mrs. Skywalker
Now Anakin or Mrs. had a sister or brother who married a sister or brother
of one of Han's relatives. ??? Maybe

I'll just have to maybe make a real tree thing. Maybe it isn't possible.

Michael Mierzwa

Susan bartholomew

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Maybe Han has a relative who's Force-sensitive, but isn't a Skywalker
(they can't ALL be related to Luke!). Remember, we know nothing about
Han's parents-all I ever heard (from "Skywalking") was that he was
abandoned by "space gypsies", who could have been anybody. Maybe a
Dark Side bunch who used their powers to rip people off and didn't
want to bother with a kid? And if Han found out he could use the
Force, what would his reaction be? My guess is he'd be greatly put
out, since he's always been an independant guy who never needed any
help from anybody and is damn proud of it. Maybe someday someone will
write a novel on this subject and answer this question!

Rakelle

Feb 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/14/97

The question is; is it really necessary to have *everybody* have some
Force entanglements? Even if the Force is important, everybody doesn't
really need to be entangled with it. Everything doesn't have to be
connected in some way.

Rakelle

Kris

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

In article <5dvjpj$lnm$2...@mark.ucdavis.edu>,
ez06...@dale.ucdavis.edu (Michael Mierzwa) says:

>Matt Stevens (no...@inlink.com) wrote:

(snip)

>: --THE BIG ONE: When he's warming up the _Tydirium_, he gazes off at the
>: _Falcon_ with a distant look on his face. When Leia asks him what's
>: going on, he says, "I have a funny feeling, like I'm not going to see
>: her again." This winds up coming to naught in the version of ROTJ that
>: was released--but in the original cut, remember, the _Falcon_ was
>: destroyed in the Death Star, and Lando was killed. (Audiences were so
>: irked at the killing off of Billy Dee Williams that Lucas had to reshoot
>: the ending.) What produces funny feelings like that? Only the Force.
>
>Well since Lando wasn't killed ... I'd heavily discount this one.

I wonder if the reason for the test audience not liking lando getting
killed, had something to do with him being black/brown.

(snip)

>: --In TESB, there's a potentially symbolic moment in which Solo takes up
>: Luke's lightsaber to save his life.
>
>Actually something else of interest is that in the SW:CCG Hoth expansion
>rules set it states that Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber can only be used by
>Skywalkers ... "even those who don't know it yet."

Perhaps han solo is a cousin or 2nd cousin of Lukes.

>: --Solo is a singularly brilliant pilot. Unbelievable. Moreover, he's
>: the only guy who ever got upsun of Darth Vader. How did Vader, with the
>: ability to sense other people, miss his freighter? Hmmmm....
>
>Well that could have been Chewie, but the arguement is still valid. ;)

If it *was* Vader's freighter, he might not have recognised it due to
a memory loss, caused by the outcome of the Kenobi vs. Anakin duel.
Or maybe the falcon had been modified beyond recognition while it was
past from owner to owner (maybe this has already been pointed out).

(snip)

>: Potential horror: Han, Luke and Leia are Jedi triplets.
>

>Now that I don't care for. Han might not be Vader's son, but just related
>some other way.

Vader's nephew and Lukes cousin maybe?

-kris

>Michael Mierzwa

TomServo

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

> >: --In TESB, there's a potentially symbolic moment in which Solo takes up
> >: Luke's lightsaber to save his life.
> >
> >Actually something else of interest is that in the SW:CCG Hoth expansion
> >rules set it states that Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber can only be used by
> >Skywalkers ... "even those who don't know it yet."
>
> Perhaps han solo is a cousin or 2nd cousin of Lukes.
>
> >: --Solo is a singularly brilliant pilot. Unbelievable. Moreover, he's
> >: the only guy who ever got upsun of Darth Vader. How did Vader, with the
> >: ability to sense other people, miss his freighter? Hmmmm....
> >
> >Well that could have been Chewie, but the arguement is still valid. ;)
>
> If it *was* Vader's freighter, he might not have recognised it due to
> a memory loss, caused by the outcome of the Kenobi vs. Anakin duel.
> Or maybe the falcon had been modified beyond recognition while it was
> past from owner to owner (maybe this has already been pointed out).
>
> (snip)
>
> >: Potential horror: Han, Luke and Leia are Jedi triplets.
> >
> >Now that I don't care for. Han might not be Vader's son, but just related
> >some other way.
>
> Vader's nephew and Lukes cousin maybe?
>
> -kris
>

> >Michael Mierzwa

How about the fact that Obi Wan finds in the cantina Chewbacca who is
"first mate on a ship that might suit us." I've recently taken this to
be a prequel hint regarding the Falcon but this Han is a Skywalker stuff
adds even more to this line.

All said, if Han is a Skywalker, him being in love with Leia is about as
sick as you can get in popular cinema!

solo351

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97
to TomServo

> How about the fact that Obi Wan finds in the cantina Chewbacca who is
> "first mate on a ship that might suit us." I've recently taken this to
> be a prequel hint regarding the Falcon but this Han is a Skywalker stuff
> adds even more to this line.
>
> All said, if Han is a Skywalker, him being in love with Leia is about as
> sick as you can get in popular cinema!

I for one think Chewie would be a great seguay from the epsiodes 1,2,3 &
4,5,6. But I do not think Ben actually knew Chewbacca (Chewie is 200+
years old). If Ben did, he would not have needed the introduction by
the fellow with the red flightsuit and 50's style greaser haircut (aka
"Boshek" in Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina book). The only way to
tie the Falcon & Mos Eisley into the prequels is to postulate that
Kenobi had previosly seen the Falcon at Mos Eisley. He might have seen
it land at Docking Bay 94 as he and Luke and the Droids entered Mos
Eisley (However, the new footage in the SE makes this improbable, as we
don't see the Falcon like we do the Outrider in the Mos Eisley entrance
scene). Ben might also have seen the Falcon at Mos Eisley on a previous
occasion. In either case, Kenobi knew or had a hunch that the Falcon
was at Mos Eisley that faithful day. He wanted the Falcon for the
dangerous trip to Alderaan, perhaps for its special past w/ the jedi in
the clone wars (which is alluded to, among other places, in the SW
Technical Manual). Therefore, maybe Kenobi went up to
Greaser-in-flightsuit aka Boshek in the Cantina and said "Excuse me, but
could you direct me to the pilot of the Millenium Falcon?" Greaser
responds, "Yeah, actually Chebacca here behind me is first mate on the
Falcon," as he gestures at Chewbacca, a gesture we see in the movie.
This theory has to be reconciled with Ben's "should I have [heard of
the Millenium Falcon]?" line. Easy. It was a ruse. Ben did not want
Luke or Solo or Chewie to know just what was up with the Falcon's past.
We all know Ben has a penchant for fibbing. As a matter of fact, take a
look at Chewie's facial expressions during the exchange between Solo and
Ben at the table. He looks skeptical about something, but he cant quite
put his finger on it. Perhaps Chewie sensed that Ben knew more than he
was letting on. Lucas himself has said Wookie's are force sensitive
creatures.

Anyway, just some thoughts

Kris

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

Well maybe it's an unknown fact in the Star Wars universe, that the
majority of people and aliens, and not just the Jedi, have the
potential to use The Force.

Jedis are simply people who have alot of Force support, have *relised*
it, where upon they've decided to become a Jedi and dedicate their
lives to The Force and keep peace and justice in the republic.

There are people who probably have just as much Force support but use it
for other purposes or keep it to themselves, for various reasons.
Then there's people who - like Han - probably have a good deal of support
from the Force (although not as much as the average Jedi) but don't
relize it and just think they're *lucky*.

Force use is perhaps more commonplace than seen in epi. 4-6, it's just
that the Force is stronger with some more than others. Kinda like with
people on this planet, who seem to have a 7th sense, see visions of the
future, read other people's minds etc. :)

-Kris

>Rakelle

Pacarana

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

MS> I think that, if there's ever a third trilogy, Han is destined to have
MS> some affinity with the Force. You see specific foreshadowing of this in
MS> ROTJ--and when George Lucas uses foreshadowing, he employs it with all
MS> the subtlety of a hammer:

MS> --THE BIG ONE: When he's warming up the _Tydirium_, he gazes off at the
MS> _Falcon_ with a distant look on his face. When Leia asks him what's
MS> going on, he says, "I have a funny feeling, like I'm not going to see
MS> her again." This winds up coming to naught in the version of ROTJ that
MS> was released--but in the original cut, remember, the _Falcon_ was
MS> destroyed in the Death Star, and Lando was killed. (Audiences were so
MS> irked at the killing off of Billy Dee Williams that Lucas had to reshoot
MS> the ending.) What produces funny feelings like that? Only the Force.
A popular foreshadowing example used in many films.

MS> --Solo, _blind_, shoots the Sarlacc tentacle off Lando's leg. He just
MS> says, "Trust me." That echos Kenobi's test in ANH, which he had
MS> pooh-poohed.
He says something like "my VISION IS RETURNING. Trust me".

MS> --In TESB, there's a potentially symbolic moment in which Solo takes up
MS> Luke's lightsaber to save his life.
I don't buy that.

MS> --Solo is a singularly brilliant pilot. Unbelievable. Moreover, he's
MS> the only guy who ever got upsun of Darth Vader. How did Vader, with the
MS> ability to sense other people, miss his freighter? Hmmmm....
Yeah, now this may be something. It has always left me wondering.
I can think up other reasons too though and what about Chewie?
Still, it is an intriquing thought.

MS> --Kenobi said "There's no such thing as luck." In other words, only
MS> the Force guides your destiny. By this logic, to escape all the scrapes
MS> he's been in, Solo needed either incredible luck or an incredible assist
MS> through the Force.
Hmm. I never thought to take that line in relation to Han before.
Interesting.

MS> Potential horror: Han, Luke and Leia are Jedi triplets.
Considering the near decade difference in ages between Luke/Leia and
Han I don't think you have anything to worry about.

MS> I think it would be great if Han, with his cynicism and tendency toward
MS> anger, fell toward the dark side in the third trilogy. That would set
MS> up wonderful character situations.
This could be a horror.

Bermuda999

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

lar...@gramercy.ios.com (Pacarana) writes, in

>MS> --Solo is a singularly brilliant pilot. Unbelievable. Moreover,
he's
>MS> the only guy who ever got upsun of Darth Vader. How did Vader, with
the
>MS> ability to sense other people, miss his freighter? Hmmmm....
> Yeah, now this may be something. It has always left me wondering.
>I can think up other reasons too though and what about Chewie?
>Still, it is an intriquing thought.

I'm not quite sure what the point is here. In the movie trilogy, exactly
whom did Vader ever sense EXCEPT Jedis in tune with the Force (Obi-Wan and
Luke)?
I'm not clear on how Vader's failure to sense Solo is any indication that
he is especially connected to the Force.

mdb

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Oh yeah. That'll happen.

>The question is; is it really necessary to have *everybody* have some
>Force entanglements? Even if the Force is important, everybody doesn't
>really need to be entangled with it. Everything doesn't have to be
>connected in some way.

You a Calvinist? You think only a select few get God's grace? You
think only a few people breath? If the Force surronds "us" and binds
the universe together, then are any excluded from it?

>Rakelle

mdb

Stick with me and you won't go far wrong.

Rakelle

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

mdb wrote:

> Oh yeah. That'll happen.
>
> >The question is; is it really necessary to have *everybody* have some
> >Force entanglements? Even if the Force is important, everybody doesn't
> >really need to be entangled with it. Everything doesn't have to be
> >connected in some way.
>
> You a Calvinist? You think only a select few get God's grace? You
> think only a few people breath? If the Force surronds "us" and binds
> the universe together, then are any excluded from it?

What I was referring to was the idea that Han could have some relative
with Force potential. I didn't say people were excluded from it, but
I happen to feel not everybody has to be Force-*sensitive* or related
to Jedi.
We all get God's grace (pardon to other religions), but only a few
people are saints.

> mdb
>
> Stick with me and you won't go far wrong.

That depends upon if you're headed the right direction, doesn't it? ;)

Rakelle

John Vann

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997 09:09:58 -0800, pennies from heaven rained down upon
the computer keyboard of one "TomServo", and these words of wisdom (?)
espewed:

:>
:> >: --In TESB, there's a potentially symbolic moment in which Solo takes up
:> >: Luke's lightsaber to save his life.
:> >
:> >Actually something else of interest is that in the SW:CCG Hoth expansion

:> >rules set it states that Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber can only be used by
:> >Skywalkers ... "even those who don't know it yet."

Well, since Han will be Skywalker by marriage, maybe that counts.

:> Perhaps han solo is a cousin or 2nd cousin of Lukes.
:>
:> >: Potential horror: Han, Luke and Leia are Jedi triplets.
:> >
:> >Now that I don't care for. Han might not be Vader's son, but just related

:> >some other way.
:>
:> Vader's nephew and Lukes cousin maybe?

:All said, if Han is a Skywalker, him being in love with Leia is about as

:sick as you can get in popular cinema!

Funny that ya'll should mention that. I saw the ESB SE today, and when
Leia leaned over and gave Luke a long, wet kiss, everyone in the theater
was either puking or screaming: "He's your brother!"

--
Till next time, as Yoda's cousin from the Bronx once said...
May da Foice be wid ya... BUB!

**a widely disputed translation of Jabba the Hutt's remarks to Luke
Skywalker
John Vann