What's The SciFi Channel Doing?

xi...@fishnet.net

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

I saw a commercial for a Star Wars special on the SciFi Channel a few
days ago. It's going to be hosted by Billy Dee Williams, but that's
about all it said.
Any one have any idea about what's going to be shown?
I bet we'll see the trailer.
Keep your finger crossed.
-Xizor

Jay Majer

Nov 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/17/96

I believe this is what you saw advertised:

THE STAR WARS TRILOGY

The Sci-Fi Channel is proud to present the Star Wars trilogy in
letterboxed format. See the difference for yourself when these all-time
classics are shown in their original aspect ratio. And after each movie,
stick around for specials featuring behind-the-scenes footage from the
making of each film.

SCHEDULE
STAR WARS Friday, November 22 at 7PM, 11PM ET*
- MAKING OF... Friday, November 22 at 10PM, 2AM ET*
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK Saturday, November 23 at 7PM, 11PM ET*
- MAKING OF... Saturday, November 23 at 10PM ET*
THE RETURN OF THE JEDI Sunday, November 24 at 7PM, 11PM ET*
- CLASSIC CREATURES Sunday, November 24 at 10PM ET*
FROM STAR WARS TO JEDI Saturday, November 23 at 2AM ET*
Sunday, November 24 at 2AM ET*

Jay Majer This message "Shut up, brain, or I'll
zi...@netcom.com presented in stab you with a Q-tip!"
jma...@ucla.edu ( ( ( ((T H X)) ) ) ) -Homer Simpson

Rita

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

In article <zillaE1...@netcom.com>, Jay Majer <zi...@netcom.com>
writes

>I believe this is what you saw advertised:
>
>THE STAR WARS TRILOGY
>
> The Sci-Fi Channel is proud to present the Star Wars trilogy in
>letterboxed format. See the difference for yourself when these all-time
>classics are shown in their original aspect ratio. And after each movie,
>stick around for specials featuring behind-the-scenes footage from the
>making of each film.
>
> SCHEDULE
>STAR WARS Friday, November 22 at 7PM, 11PM ET*
> - MAKING OF... Friday, November 22 at 10PM, 2AM ET*
>THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK Saturday, November 23 at 7PM, 11PM ET*
> - MAKING OF... Saturday, November 23 at 10PM ET*
>THE RETURN OF THE JEDI Sunday, November 24 at 7PM, 11PM ET*
> - CLASSIC CREATURES Sunday, November 24 at 10PM ET*
>FROM STAR WARS TO JEDI Saturday, November 23 at 2AM ET*
> Sunday, November 24 at 2AM ET*

Will we get to see this in the UK ?
--
Rita

Chuck Fullerton

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

AVOID the Sci-Fi Channels "Star Wars: The Ultimate
Experience" at all costs!!! I learned my lesson when they showed Star
Trek II in letterbox: we are talking MEGA-COMMERCIALS HERE. Avoid, avoid,
avoid!!!!!!!!

MTFBWT,
Chuck

Brian White

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

xi...@fishnet.net wrote:
> I saw a commercial for a Star Wars special on the SciFi Channel a few
> days ago. It's going to be hosted by Billy Dee Williams, but that's
> about all it said.
> Any one have any idea about what's going to be shown?
> I bet we'll see the trailer.
> Keep your finger crossed.

Well, the Sci-Fi channel for the last couple (at least) years has shown the
widescreen version of the trilogy around Thanksgiving and usually at another
time of the year. One has Billy Dee Williams hosting and the other has
Carrie Fisher. I'm not sure if they actually tape them hosting again
(doubtful) or if they just show the same stuff again, never really checked.

I guess it would be possible to see the trailer during it. It would be a
good time to do it. Now I'm going to have to watch it. (Haven't had to
lately now that I have the letterboxed versions on tape...)

--

>> Brian White <<
>> whit...@uidaho.edu <<
>> Star Wars: The Homepage <<
>> www.uidaho.edu/~whit9463/starwars/main.html <<

Genevieve Williams

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

In article <56uau9$j...@newshound.csrv.uidaho.edu>, Brian White

<whit...@buzzard.csrv.uidaho.edu> wrote:
>xi...@fishnet.net wrote:
>> I saw a commercial for a Star Wars special on the SciFi Channel a few
>>days ago. It's going to be hosted by Billy Dee Williams, but that's
>>about all it said.
>> Any one have any idea about what's going to be shown?
>> I bet we'll see the trailer. Keep your finger crossed.
>
>Well, the Sci-Fi channel for the last couple (at least) years has shown
>the widescreen version of the trilogy around Thanksgiving and usually at
>another time of the year. One has Billy Dee Williams hosting and the
>other has Carrie Fisher. I'm not sure if they actually tape them hosting
>again (doubtful) or if they just show the same stuff again, never really
>checked.

For those of you like me, whose cable provider SUCKS and hence you don't
get the SciFi channel, the tril is also going to be shown on USA on
Christmas Day. Don't know if the commercials will be any better, or even
if it's going to be letterbox, but it's an option, if you're family's into
SW or if you don't celebrate Christmas but still get the day off.

Btw, I did see the one on the SciFi channel with Billy Dee Williams
hosting a year or so back, at my parents' house (*their* cable provider is
cool). My dad walked in, watched Billy talk for a few minutes, commented,
"He sounds drunk," and left. Which tells you something about my dad's
sense of humor.

Rimrunner
he's also a member of Dogbert's New Ruling Class

Allen Newman

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

In article <56udtb$b...@camel0.mindspring.com>, Chuck Fullerton
<nou...@mindspring.com> wrote:

Oh, and aren't the commericals on that channel annoying! Those
losers-on-the-street being interviewed in the psychic-hotline ads are
driving me batty. And it's made worse by the knowledge that the channel
edits several minutes out of most series' episodes so they can show the
same stupid ads several times during the same hour. I'm about ready to
start taping every show I want to watch on that channel *even* if I'm home
during the broadcast, just so I can zap the ads.

I agree that anyone who has the letterbox Trilogy on home video, or has a
friend with it, probably shouldn't torture themselves by trying to watch
the movies on the channel. However, I do plan to tape the making-of
specials they'll be showing. I don't mean to complain too much -- the
Sci-Fi Channel is very good except for the annoyances caused by their
business/advertising operation, which is presumably run by their USA parent
company. I look forward to the day when the channel's rating are high
enough that they can make more money per ad slot and then, hopefully, cut
back on the number of ads per hour and increase the variety of ads.

ALLEN NEWMAN: Self-taught Mac masseur since 1984, recovering
Trekkie, theatre-school groupie, mass communication product,
Superman fan, and member of the Star Wars Generation.
Armed only with a blaster pistol and an intimate knowledge of
Imperial methods, Newman prepares to go to lunch....

Eric N. Tully

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

: I look forward to the day when the channel's rating are high

: enough that they can make more money per ad slot and then, hopefully, cut
: back on the number of ads per hour

And remind me again why they would cut back on the ads? I'd think that if
their ratings got higher and they could charge more per ad, they'd run
MORE ads and claim this is to balance their "low" revenues on other
channels.

As for running the trailer, I don't think it would work on a TV set. I
mean, what would we see? An X-Wing blast out of a TV set and explode into
larger than life THX quality - on a 19" TV set. Somehow, I don't think it
would have the desired effect.

Sorry, I'm in one of my cynical moods. :)

- Eric

Allen Newman

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

In article <56vjru$5...@news1.halcyon.com>, rim...@coho.halcyon.com
(Genevieve Williams) wrote:

>Btw, I did see the one on the SciFi channel with Billy Dee Williams
>hosting a year or so back, at my parents' house (*their* cable provider is
>cool). My dad walked in, watched Billy talk for a few minutes, commented,
>"He sounds drunk," and left. Which tells you something about my dad's
>sense of humor.

Well, I just saw it, and I don't think he was joking! Tibbana gas and Colt
45s don't mix, kids.

Susan C. Mitchell

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

: >xi...@fishnet.net wrote:
: >> I saw a commercial for a Star Wars special on the SciFi Channel a few
: >>days ago. It's going to be hosted by Billy Dee Williams, but that's
: >>about all it said.
: >> Any one have any idea about what's going to be shown?
: >> I bet we'll see the trailer. Keep your finger crossed.
: >
: >Well, the Sci-Fi channel for the last couple (at least) years has shown
: >the widescreen version of the trilogy around Thanksgiving and usually at
: >another time of the year. One has Billy Dee Williams hosting and the
: >other has Carrie Fisher. I'm not sure if they actually tape them hosting
: >again (doubtful) or if they just show the same stuff again, never really
: >checked.
: >

: For those of you like me, whose cable provider SUCKS and hence you don't
: get the SciFi channel, the tril is also going to be shown on USA on
: Christmas Day. Don't know if the commercials will be any better, or even
: if it's going to be letterbox, but it's an option, if you're family's into
: SW or if you don't celebrate Christmas but still get the day off.

Not an option for me. I tried to watch it the last time USA ran it. For
one thing, my USA cuts in and out at random intervals; for another, the
cuts were just too damn distracting.

(Little voice from the newsgroup: "What cuts? I didn't notice any
cuts!")

Well, kids, you see, it's this way. Sit down, children, Grandma's going
to tell you a story.

[old-fartess mode ON]

'Way back in the 1970s and early 1980s, when the Star Wars movies were
first released, there was no such thing as "waiting for it to come out on
cassette." Home video recorders were rare and expensive items, hard to
come by, kind of like lightsabers. This is why the first Star Wars movie
-- back before it was called "A New Hope" -- played in some theaters for a
year or more: because the fans wanted to see it again, over and over, and
*that was the only way they could see it*. And when you heard someone
speak of "my tape of Star Wars," it meant that they had done what I did --
taken a portable *audio*cassette recorder into the theater and recorded
the sound.
So I know the entire audio track by heart. A couple of different
versions of it, in fact (echo in the chasm?). And when I watched the USA
broadcast, I couldn't help but notice that, while all the spoken dialogue
was in its proper place, there had been many small cuts *between* lines.

[old-fartess mode OFF]

: Btw, I did see the one on the SciFi channel with Billy Dee Williams

: hosting a year or so back, at my parents' house (*their* cable provider is
: cool). My dad walked in, watched Billy talk for a few minutes, commented,
: "He sounds drunk," and left. Which tells you something about my dad's
: sense of humor.

He still sounds drunk. He sounded as if the batteries were running low.

Think globally, act locally.
Susan

--
================== NEW ADDRESS: sus...@primenet.com ==================
"Gadfly is what they call you when you are no longer | "sus...@xroads.com"

Rimrunner

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

In article <57clr5$t...@nnrp1.news.primenet.com>,
Susan C. Mitchell <sus...@primenet.com> wrote:

[munch]

> So I know the entire audio track by heart. A couple of different
>versions of it, in fact (echo in the chasm?). And when I watched the USA
>broadcast, I couldn't help but notice that, while all the spoken dialogue
>was in its proper place, there had been many small cuts *between* lines.

Wow, really? I've never seen it on USA, so I had no idea they did this.
Hm, I'll have to watch it now and listen for this.

I can imagine how irritating that would be, though. It's like when radio
stations cut out guitar solos from songs, so they can squeeze more
commercials in. This was especially noticeable in the 80s, the Era of
Slash.

Rimrunner
whoa, oh-ohh, sweet child o' mine