The Bootleg Question

Tezza

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Ok, I'm going to take some flack for this.

I've been a StarWars fan since the age of 5 (I'm 19 now) and I
live in the UK. Why the HELL has George Lucas made us wait 2
months to see TPM?!?! If it needed to be dubbed into our
language I could understand. If we had vastly differnt cinema
equipment I could understand. George could have made so much
more by doing a similtanious worldwide release - instead the hype
machine will simply peter out by the time TPM hits England.

That's why I watched a bootleg.

No, I won't tell you where it was downloaded from - anyway; it
was 1.2Gb so only T3-ers stand a chance.

The quality was superb - it had obviously been filmed in an empty
auditorium on a high quality digital camera. The sound was fine
(okay, it wasn't suround sound)

Here's my point - I know how nuts you guys went when the movie
came out. Let me ask you; would you have paid $600 to fly over
to England to watch it? Would you have been content to miss your
favourite newsgroups and websites to avoid spoilers. How pissed
would you be if a friend gave away a crucial plot element in
conversation?

If anything this has made me want to go and see it in the
cinema - I saw it on a 27 inch monitor with a huge sound system
and (even though I LOVED every minute of the film) it wasn't
enough.

I'm not condoning bootlegging - it seriously damages the
entertainment industry but
i) LucasFilm should have realised that this would happen if they
made the rest of the world wait an extra 60 days
ii)Watching the bootleg was perhaps the best advert for a film to
be seen on the big screen that I have ever witnessed.

Again, I don't have a copy of the bootleg anymore and if I did
there's no way I'd e-mail you 1.2Gig.

Oh, if you're wanting to prosecute me - the above is all a work
of fiction. Can you understand now why people are bootlegging?

Tezza
My slice of the web...
www.ThePhantomMenace.co.uk/obi-morph/
"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

DRay9911

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
>Subject: The Bootleg Question
>From: "Tezza" <T.E...@NoSpamPlease.uea.ac.uk>
>Date: 5/31/99 7:06 AM Mountain Daylight Time

>Why the HELL has George Lucas made us wait 2
>months to see TPM?!?! If it needed to be dubbed into our
>language I could understand. If we had vastly differnt cinema
>equipment I could understand. George could have made so much
>more by doing a similtanious worldwide release - instead the hype
>machine will simply peter out by the time TPM hits England.
>

>That's why I watched a bootleg.
>

>Here's my point - I know how nuts you guys went when the movie

>came out. Let me ask you; would you have paid $600 to fly over
>to England to watch it?

>Can you understand now why people are bootlegging?

I don't blame you for one second...if I were you, i'd do the same thing.

*9911

RTJoby

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
I feel for you.
Anyone who go through desperate links to see the movie---reminds me of the many
times I have done similar things on stuff I liked.

But I think the decisions of when things get released in which countries is a
little more complicated than that---or I think he would have had it released
all at the same time everywhere.
I think it is something like this: Only a certain amount of films for the
theaters are produced because it is so costly. Right now our theater has 2 of
them airing on 2 screens. In a few weeks, they will only need 1 & send the
other back. When other theaters start doing the same---that is when those
films will be able to be distributed to the foreign market.
Plus I dont know how the dub/subtitle thing works for the countries like Japan,
etc. That is either done in USA or in Japan.

Emperor

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
In article <7iu1ml$cjl$1...@cpca14.uea.ac.uk>, Tezza <T.Eden@NoSpamPleas
e.uea.ac.uk> writes

--
I`m from the UK and I don`t feel the need to do this.
No matter what you say, there is no excuse and please don`t try to cover

Jk th Rppr

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
"Why the HELL has George Lucas made us wait 2
months to see TPM?!?!"--Tezza

It's due to the fact that the actors can't be at premieres in more than one
country at the same time. Premieres are staggered so that publicity (via
premiere events) can be drummed up for every country's release.

(That was probably the only bit of useful information found on Sci-Fi Channel's
"Episode I Unauthorized.")

--Nathan (jkth...@aol.com)
Star Wars Timeline Author

*The Old Republic*
*The Galactic Empire*
*The New Republic*

Every legend has its historian . . .

Subscribe to the SWT today.
http://www.angelfire.com/in/nbproductions/swtinfo.html

Tezza

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99

Jk th Rppr wrote in message
<19990531140102...@ng-xa1.aol.com>...

>"Why the HELL has George Lucas made us wait 2
>months to see TPM?!?!"--Tezza
>
>It's due to the fact that the actors can't be at premieres in
more than one
>country at the same time.

Oh come on - the film was made in Britain - used british actors
it deserved to be given a royal premiere BEFORE America got it.

Would be nice for once...

CCClamp

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
>I'm not condoning bootlegging - it seriously damages the
>entertainment industry but
>i) LucasFilm should have realised that this would happen if they
>made the rest of the world wait an extra 60 days

I'm sure LucasFilm did realize this would happen.

The question is really whether you can live with your conscious if you download
a bootleg.

CCC

Tezza

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99

CCClamp wrote in message
<19990601015010...@ng-ca1.aol.com>...

Well, in a way, yes. I can.

As much as I enjoyed seeing it on the small (27") screen I now
KNOW that it will quite litterally blow me away and leave me as a
little puddle of jelly when I see it 10+ times this summer.

The fact was that the hype got way too out of control. Other
films have had (nearly) similateous releases in english speaking
countries - why not this one?

I guess my main gripe is not only having to wait 2 months (think
about that, TWO MONTHS) but seeing the list of countries which
will get TPM before us. The film was made in Britain with
British cast, crew and composer - the least they could have done
would be to let us have it at a reasonable time.

A few months ago you were all hotly debating whether you would
see a preproduction video if you could get one - the majority
said "no"; it wouldn't BE SWTPM. I told myself that if the
quality of the bootleg was awful (shakey cam, people walking in
front of the sceen etc.) there would be no way that I'd watch it.
The quality was perfect. I had a group of friends and popcorn.
We watched it once and then vowed to spend our student loans
seeing it as many times as possible - when you start ducking and
diving with Ani during the pod race on a monitor; you just KNOW
what it'll be like on the silver screen!

I regret doing what I did - I won't be crying with joy as I leave
the cinema for the first time. But on the other hand I won't be
afraid to go in because "JarJar sux a$$". He rocks!

The Doctor [Lou]

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99

> >LucasFilm should have realised that this would happen if they
> >made the rest of the world wait an extra 60 days
>

> I'm sure LucasFilm did realize this would happen.

Actually, it is to my understanding that it is the studio, 20th Century
Fox that had set up the release dates outside of the U.S.

--
Remove the "NO" and "SPAM" to send email.

Adam Burakowski

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99

Tezza wrote:

> Jk th Rppr wrote in message
> <19990531140102...@ng-xa1.aol.com>...
> >"Why the HELL has George Lucas made us wait 2
> >months to see TPM?!?!"--Tezza
> >
> >It's due to the fact that the actors can't be at premieres in
> more than one
> >country at the same time.
>
> Oh come on - the film was made in Britain - used british actors
> it deserved to be given a royal premiere BEFORE America got it.
>
> Would be nice for once...
>

> Tezza
> My slice of the web...
> www.ThePhantomMenace.co.uk/obi-morph/
> "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

You *do* realize it was taped in the US too right?
You ever heard of Tunasia?(sp?)
Where they filmed Tatooine?
And his largest market is in North America.
So why premiere it there?

Adam Burakowski