SWSE SPOILER

David McConnell

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

These are the enhanced scenes that I noticed:

All the planets were redone. They looked like more than paintings.

The Dewback Scene, of course. Pretty cool.

Right after the Dewback scene, there's a new shot of the sandcrawler
driving along.

Ben Kenobi's house has been changed to a house in the mountains.

The view of Mos Eisley from the mountain was changed, so that it looks like
a busy Spaceport. You can see spaceships taking off.

The shot of the landspeeder driving in to Mos Eisley is new, as is most of
the footage of Mos Eisley. It's a completely new city. As they're driving
into the city, wamp rats can be seen scurrying around. There are dewbacks
and rontos aplenty.

The officer that informs Vader and Tarkin that "Scout ships have reached
Dantooine, and there are remains of a rebel base, but it's been deserted
for some time".. It's a new guy!!!! I have no idea why they decided to
change the guy. This man has white hair.

Greedo tries to shoot Han first, then Han shoots him.

The Jabba the Hutt scene is cool. A bit more animated than the ROTJ Jabba.
But still cool. Boba Fett turns around and looks at us before it cuts.

There's a new shot of the Milennium Falcon taking off from Mos Eisley.
REALLY COOL!

The shot of Alderaan being destroyed has been redone.

The asteroids ramming into the Falcon are more realistic.

When Han Solo chases the stormtroopers down the corrider, and then he runs
into them, all aiming at him, there aren't just the ones that he was
chasing, but a whole lot more stormtroopers.

The part where Luke and Leia are stuck on the ledge, I noticed the echo
effects were different. Sounds more realistic than before. A slight bit
more of a delay in echo.

There's a new scene of Biggs and Luke talking right before the Death Star
Battle.

There are extra shots of the rebels getting ready for the battle. I guess
it's to give more of an impression that a big thing is about to happen.

All of the ship shots during the Death Star Battle have been redone.
Excellent work.

These are the ones that I can remember. If anybody can add to this, please
do.

-Dave

Brent Ragar

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

Sounds pretty complete to me. Even had a few things I didn't
notice. Just wanted to add that there seemed to be a new alien in the
Cantina and that they put in the "Close the blast doors" line. I found
myself looking so hard for new stuff that I noticed a lot that was
probably just the old I had never caught. The X-wing computer display, for
one, looked different with the glowing white light. I really did not like
the Greedo shooting first addition, nor the fact that Boba turned DIRECTLY
into the camera. It wasn't necessary. The stormtrooper getting off the
dewback was really fake, too. I was so overjoyed to see it again at an age
older than 2 that I really didn't care what the new additions looked like.
The audience was dead quiet both times I saw it. Awesome.

-Brent

Ryan Beise

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

Ahh, but you forgot the sounds. Not just the scenes, but you can hear the
hum of the landspeeder and the Falcon. There is some sort of a hum in
Kenobi's house. There were so many slight sound changes that I am sure
many people missed it. They have done a great job in bring our favorite
movie back to the big screen. Just a note: As I was waiting for some
friends to show up (I had their tickets), I heard these two old ladies
talking to the box office attendant. They were commenting how they
thought they would be OK in showing up 30 minutes before the movie to get
tickets as this movie has been playing for so long and is 20 years old and
such. One then commented," It must be all of these new additions or
something." Yeah, there aren't people who are just huge fans of these
films or nothing. Oh well, it was fun. I'm gonna go see it a couple
more times adn then I can't wait for the 21st.

DASV

dar...@u.washington.edu
Ryan Beise
Darth Vader and John Williams fanatic
Woodinville, WA

/| /|
-__---------------------------//|--|--------//|--------||
/ \ . | | | | | | | | | | ||
O--|-------------|---|---|---|-o---|---|---|-o---|-----||
| . b | | | | | | | | ||
---/------------o---o---o----|-----|--o----|----O------||
/ | | | ||
-/-----b--------------------o.-----|------o.-----------||
| ||
-----------------------------------|-------------------||

Chris

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

In article <Pine.A41.3.95b.97020...@dante24.u.washington.edu> Ryan Beise <dar...@u.washington.edu> writes:
>From: Ryan Beise <dar...@u.washington.edu>
>Subject: Re: SWSE SPOILER
>Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 11:51:27 -0800

>Ahh, but you forgot the sounds. Not just the scenes, but you can hear the
>hum of the landspeeder and the Falcon. There is some sort of a hum in
>Kenobi's house. There were so many slight sound changes that I am sure
>many people missed it. They have done a great job in bring our favorite
>movie back to the big screen. Just a note: As I was waiting for some
>friends to show up (I had their tickets), I heard these two old ladies
>talking to the box office attendant. They were commenting how they
>thought they would be OK in showing up 30 minutes before the movie to get
>tickets as this movie has been playing for so long and is 20 years old and
>such. One then commented," It must be all of these new additions or
>something." Yeah, there aren't people who are just huge fans of these
>films or nothing. Oh well, it was fun. I'm gonna go see it a couple
>more times adn then I can't wait for the 21st.

> DASV

There was something I never noticed before and it had nothing to do with it
being the SE but just the fact it was on the big screen. Check out what
seems to be a Samurai Sword hanging on the wall in Ben's house. It's behind
the trunk he opens to remove the Lightsaber out of. Could this be in homage
to one of George's hero's, Akira Kurosawa and/or the film "The Seven Samurai"?
Both of these elements were inspirations to Lucas in filmaking. Hmmmm....

May the franchise be with you....
Chris

Ronald Peritore

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

Brent Ragar wrote:

> Sounds pretty complete to me. Even had a few things I didn't
> notice. Just wanted to add that there seemed to be a new alien in the
> Cantina

Yes there were three new aliens that I noticed in the cantina. In the
original movie there were two different shots of the Wolfman guy. These
2 shots were replaced. The first was by a lizard-type guy wearing some
sort of turban and the second was by two different creatures talking or
yelling at each other. I always thought that Wolfman was a bit cheesy.

Ron

John Milazzo

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

Was it me, or did the death star layouts on the screen when the rebels
were getting debriefed seem to be more three dimensional? Also, was the
scene where R2 gets 'stolen' by the jawas seem more orange as if it was
supposed to be dusk? I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed these
things too.

Chris Morello

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

"David McConnell" <dav...@cts.com> wrote:
>These are the enhanced scenes that I noticed:
>
>All the planets were redone. They looked like more than paintings.
>
>The Dewback Scene, of course. Pretty cool.
>
>Right after the Dewback scene, there's a new shot of the sandcrawler
>driving along.
>
>Ben Kenobi's house has been changed to a house in the mountains.
>
>The view of Mos Eisley from the mountain was changed, so that it looks like
>a busy Spaceport. You can see spaceships taking off.
>
>The shot of the landspeeder driving in to Mos Eisley is new, as is most of
>the footage of Mos Eisley. It's a completely new city. As they're driving
>into the city, wamp rats can be seen scurrying around. There are dewbacks
>and rontos aplenty.
><snip>

And in the Ronto scene where the Jawa falls off, the Ronto is scared by a
Swoop!

--
Chris

"None is so blind, as he who cannot see" - Brian

DALTONDIX

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

Yes, actually 2 (that I noticed) aliens in the cantina have been re-done.
There was one that I think replaced Mr. Wolfman and there was another one
too. George must not have liked those 2 in the original.

They also redid all the lasers coming from ships. They were very colorful
and realisic looking (as if we've ever seen a real one!). There were TONS
of sounds that have been added to make it sound better. There's a new
sound whenever they show the cannon displays (like a HUD) in the falcon
when Han and Luke were blowin' them away.

I didn't like the Jabba scene either. Too fake. Mos Eisley and the Han
VS Stormtrooper scenes were my favorite.

"The Force Will Be With You... Always"

// //
// |-o-| //
// (-o-) //
// |-o-| //
// //

Todd
Dalt...@aol.com

Alison Halsall

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

Isn't the footage which shows Vader flying off at the end new? As I
recall, the last you ever saw of him was when he was hurling through space
out of control.

David McConnell (dav...@cts.com) wrote:
> These are the enhanced scenes that I noticed:

> All the planets were redone. They looked like more than paintings.

> The Dewback Scene, of course. Pretty cool.

> Right after the Dewback scene, there's a new shot of the sandcrawler
> driving along.

> Ben Kenobi's house has been changed to a house in the mountains.

> The view of Mos Eisley from the mountain was changed, so that it looks like
> a busy Spaceport. You can see spaceships taking off.

> The shot of the landspeeder driving in to Mos Eisley is new, as is most of
> the footage of Mos Eisley. It's a completely new city. As they're driving
> into the city, wamp rats can be seen scurrying around. There are dewbacks
> and rontos aplenty.

> The officer that informs Vader and Tarkin that "Scout ships have reached

> -Dave

D. Heller

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

Alison Halsall <ahal...@chat.carleton.ca> wrote in article
<5d0q0r$b...@bertrand.ccs.carleton.ca>...

> Isn't the footage which shows Vader flying off at the end new? As I
> recall, the last you ever saw of him was when he was hurling through
space
> out of control.

This is original footage, if I'm not mistaken.

D. Heller

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

John Milazzo <jfm...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> wrote in article
<32F419...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>...

I didn't notice any difference in the DS layouts, but the scene with R2 was
darker. Also, the sunset just before that scene was added.

Jeff

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

Also They fixed vaders eyes on his helmet..before you could see through
them and see David's eyes.

L8R...
Jeff

David McConnell

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

When Luke lit up his saber in Ben's house, did anyone notice how they
colored Luke's eyes to reflect the light?

D. Heller <hel...@capital.net> wrote in article
<01bc10c2$27ffb2e0$b0ab...@pppuser.capital.net>...

Steven Grobben

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

Did anyone else notice when Luke is pulling rope from his Stormtrooper
belt to swing across, Leia's blaster shots sound like a 12 gauge shotgun!
Whenever Luke shot it it sounded "normal" though.

Steve

jed...@aol.com

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

In article <32F422...@earthlink.net>, Jeff <jef...@earthlink.net>
writes:

>Also They fixed vaders eyes on his helmet..before you could see through
>them and see David's eyes.

I could have sworn I still saw his eyes during the Death Star battle
sequence.

May the Force be with you.
JEDI AL

"Warriors, warriors we call ourselves. We fight for splendid virtue, for
high endeavor, for sublime wisdom, therefore we call ourselves warriors."

Aunguttara Nikaya

rayd...@aol.com

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

writes:

>Also They fixed vaders eyes on his helmet..before you could see through
>them and see David's eyes.

I still saw David's eyes once or twice.

>L8R...
>Jeff

E-Mail:Rayd...@aol.com
THE Sailor Mercury Shrine-http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/7536

Chris

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

In article <32F422...@earthlink.net> Jeff <jef...@earthlink.net> writes:
>From: Jeff <jef...@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: SWSE SPOILER
>Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 00:12:13 -0500

>Also They fixed vaders eyes on his helmet..before you could see through
>them and see David's eyes.

>L8R...
>Jeff

I still saw Dave's eyes just fine. The best time was when he turns and says
"Let him go, stay on the leader." You can still see them.

It surprised me that this and other little things like it weren't changed.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

MadVega

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

D. Heller wrote:

> John Milazzo <jfm...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> wrote in article
> <32F419...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>...
> > Was it me, or did the death star layouts on the screen when the rebels
> > were getting debriefed seem to be more three dimensional? Also, was the
> > scene where R2 gets 'stolen' by the jawas seem more orange as if it was
> > supposed to be dusk? I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed these
> > things too.
> >

> I didn't notice any difference in the DS layouts, but the scene with R2 was
> darker. Also, the sunset just before that scene was added.

Also, the background behind the Sandcrawler was more "Dusky" than
"Sunsetty". The color changes (From crimson to violet) behind Luke when
he's looking for R2 have been fixed to one color. Seems the space
scenes are darker, too.

--
_ _
| \/ | _ _
| | \\//
|_\/_|5-\/4

(Twisted, demented, brain-cemented, and mixed in the blender!)
_ ___ _ _
| | | __| | \| |
| |_ |__ | | \ |
|___|iebe |___|tirbt |_|\_|ie!!!

MadVega

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

David Landers wrote:

> On 1 Feb 1997, David McConnell wrote:
>
> > These are the enhanced scenes that I noticed:
> >
> > (snip)
>
> I noticed these:
>
> 1.) When Ben deactivates the tractor beam, it seams that the
> background area underneath him is redone so it looks a lot better.
>
> 2.) When the Stormtroopers are chasing Han, one yells "close the
> blast door, close the blast door". Then, after it closes, they yell
> "open the blast door, open the blast door". I think that was new.
>
> 3.) The Cantina band members I believe were enhanced a bit. One had a
> really odd looking instrument that I have no idea what it was supposed to be.
>
> 4.) When R2 is captured, it is now dusk. Looks cool.
>
> And, did you notice that the Stormtrooper still hits his head? ;)))
>
> --
> David Landers - E-Mail: d...@gwis.com
> Home Page: http://www.gwis.com/~dml/

Yep! I was the only one in the theatre who cracked up when it happened.
Someone beside me looked at me funny, and I explained it to him. He
seemed to get it, and then he cracked up. I also noticed all the other
STs duck when they go back out. I thought that was funny too.

MadVega

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

They also left the red tint to his goggles in latter scenes, but got
rid of it in early shots.

Shon A. Congleton

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

rayd...@aol.com wrote:

> In article <32F422...@earthlink.net>, Jeff <jef...@earthlink.net>
> writes:
>
> >Also They fixed vaders eyes on his helmet..before you could see through
> >them and see David's eyes.
>
> I still saw David's eyes once or twice.

I did too. Two notable times were on the Death Star before Leia is
marched up to Tarkin, when Tarkin decides his target will be Alderaan.
The second one I remember is when Leia finally sees Tarkin and says when
she sees Tarkin "I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on
board." There are other places, but I can't remember them right off.

> >L8R...
> >Jeff
> >

> E-Mail:Rayd...@aol.com
> THE Sailor Mercury Shrine-http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/7536

_______________ ___ ________
( _____ ___| / \ | ___ \
\ \ | | / ^ \ | |___) |
\ \ | | / /_\ \ | /
_______\ \ | | / _____ \ | ^ <____________
|___________) |__| /__/ \__\ |__| \_______________|

M A Y T H E F O R C E B E W I T H Y O U . . . A L W A Y S
____ __ ____ ___ ________ _________
\ \ / \ / / / \ | ___ \ ( ______|
\ \ / \ / / / ^ \ | |___) | \ \
\ v /\ v / / /_\ \ | / \ \
\ / \ / / _____ \ | ^ <______) \
\__/ \__/ /__/ \__\ |__| \_____________)
Celebrating Twenty Years of George Lucas's Star Wars Trilogy
"The Greatest Space-Fantasy Film of All!" 1977-1997
Returning to your galaxy Friday, January 31, 1997

---Shon

Jeff

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

I thought the first creature that replaced the "wolfman" smoking that
space age bong was cool!

Trevor J. Zajac

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.970201132359.22354B-100000@comp> Brent Ragar <bra...@comp.uark.edu> writes:
>On 1 Feb 1997, David McConnell wrote:
>
>> These are the enhanced scenes that I noticed:

<snip>

>> Greedo tries to shoot Han first, then Han shoots him.
>>
>> The Jabba the Hutt scene is cool. A bit more animated than the ROTJ Jabba.
>> But still cool. Boba Fett turns around and looks at us before it cuts.
<snip>

> Sounds pretty complete to me. Even had a few things I didn't
>notice. Just wanted to add that there seemed to be a new alien in the
>Cantina and that they put in the "Close the blast doors" line. I found
>myself looking so hard for new stuff that I noticed a lot that was
>probably just the old I had never caught. The X-wing computer display, for
>one, looked different with the glowing white light. I really did not like
>the Greedo shooting first addition, nor the fact that Boba turned DIRECTLY
>into the camera. It wasn't necessary. The stormtrooper getting off the
>dewback was really fake, too. I was so overjoyed to see it again at an age
>older than 2 that I really didn't care what the new additions looked like.
>The audience was dead quiet both times I saw it. Awesome.
>
>-Brent

I also thought that the only changes that diminished the movie instead
of enhancing it were the "Greedo shoots first" scene, and the gratuitous
"Boba Fett pauses and looks at the camera" scene.

With Greedo he is two or three feet from Han, and he misses han by at least a
foot maybe two. Lame.

With Boba Fett, it was a little over the top.

As Always,
Trev

Indigo Vic

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

>2.) When the Stormtroopers are chasing Han, one yells "close the
blast door, close the blast door". Then, after it closes, they yell
"open the blast door, open the blast door". I think that was new.<

This wasn't exactly new. It was in at least one of the original
theatrical release mixes (either mono, stereo, or Dolby, but I don't
remember which). I believe that it was also on one or more of the early
home video releases (maybe a foreign edition?) But it hasn't been on the
last few home video releases.

There have been a couple of other lines that have appeared in some
versions, but not in others. In the Death Star, when R2 is scanning the
Death Star network. There's a shot of computer visuals, and a clicking
sound as frames change. In some versions, Threepio is heard, saying
something along the lines of "The tractor beam is coupled to the main
reactor in seven different locations. A power loss at one of the
terminals will allow the ship to leave."

I didn't note whether or not this bit was in the SE, though.
-Vic.
.

DALTONDIX

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

<<In the Death Star, when R2 is scanning the
Death Star network. There's a shot of computer visuals, and a clicking
sound as frames change. In some versions, Threepio is heard, saying
something along the lines of "The tractor beam is coupled to the main
reactor in seven different locations. A power loss at one of the
terminals will allow the ship to leave."

I didn't note whether or not this bit was in the SE, though.
-Vic.>>

It was there. I noticed it when I saw the SE and I had never heard it
before.

que...@utdallas.edu

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

i was surprised that alot of things were left alone... it does seem like
they were only concerned with adding 'toys' to the movie, and not really
enhancing it....

the biggest thing I was disappionted with was the trench sequence; in the
book, it describes the wingmen zigging and zagging to draw vader's fire,
but in the movie, they are still just sitting there, taking lasers in
their backsides... Also, the new dogfight footage is great, but because
you don't see ANYTHING going on in the bacground it still looks fake- or
else the battle just stopped for a few seconds to let the rebels do some
fancy flying!

KAW

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

On 3 Feb 1997 22:02:15 GMT, indi...@aol.com (Indigo Vic) wrote:

>There have been a couple of other lines that have appeared in some

>versions, but not in others. In the Death Star, when R2 is scanning the

>Death Star network. There's a shot of computer visuals, and a clicking
>sound as frames change. In some versions, Threepio is heard, saying
>something along the lines of "The tractor beam is coupled to the main
>reactor in seven different locations. A power loss at one of the
>terminals will allow the ship to leave."
>
>I didn't note whether or not this bit was in the SE, though.
>-Vic.

>.

Yep, that part has been put back in the SE. The part I hated most on
the SE was where Han called Jabba "a decent human being." Human
being? Human?! Helloooooo, couldn't they dub the word slug, or just
not put that line in. Oh well, didn't care for the whole Jabba scene
in general. Jabba and Han seemed to friendly, Jabba even seemed to be
afraid of Han. Jabba shouldn't be afraid seeing how he has the
galaxy's greatest bounty hunter at his disposal. Bleeech! Didn't like
the Greedo scene either. Other than that I thought everything else
was top-notch. Welllllll, maybe I could have done without the
Terminator exoskeleton in Mos Eisley... But that's ok. ;)
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ K. A. Wilson _/
_/ kaw...@jccv05.jmsaca.sunyjcc.edu _/
_/ http://www.netsync.net/users/kaw/arcanum.htm _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Marcy Malone

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97

: Yep, that part has been put back in the SE. The part I hated most on

: the SE was where Han called Jabba "a decent human being." Human
: being? Human?! Helloooooo, couldn't they dub the word slug, or just
: not put that line in. Oh well, didn't care for the whole Jabba scene
: in general. Jabba and Han seemed to friendly, Jabba even seemed to be
: afraid of Han. Jabba shouldn't be afraid seeing how he has the
: galaxy's greatest bounty hunter at his disposal. Bleeech! Didn't like
: the Greedo scene either. Other than that I thought everything else
: was top-notch. Welllllll, maybe I could have done without the
: Terminator exoskeleton in Mos Eisley... But that's ok. ;)

Well, the way I figured it was it was an insult to the slug king. A human
wouldn't like being called Hutt aboud as much as a Hutt would hate being
called human. Remember, to Jabba, being a Hutt is something to be proud
of...