Gibson's Alien3 Script(Correction)

maha...@happy.uccs.edu

Aug 16, 1993, 11:02:28 PM8/16/93
>Thanks Ken Hung for posting that synopsis of Gibson's Alien3 Script.

[Oops, I saw Ken Hung on the from line of the post, but it looks like Steve
Copold is the one who posted it. My apologies. ]

It would have made a much better movie. I can see why it was turned
down. It would have been extremely expensive to make. Probably more
so than Aliens. If anyone had objections to the U.P.P., they
could've been changed the U.P.P. to some rival corp. I also noticed
that Ripley role was diminished in the script, and that may have
contributed to it's downfall too.

When I had initially heard the Gibson was scripting it, I had high
expectations. The script lived up to those expectations. Too bad.

Mike Hansen
MAHA...@UCCS.EDU

Mr A.J. Mockler

Aug 17, 1993, 4:08:42 AM8/17/93
maha...@happy.uccs.edu wrote:
: >Thanks Ken Hung for posting that synopsis of Gibson's Alien3 Script.

Having read the script also, I am inclined to agree that it would
have made a better movie. Though whether it still would have been
up to the standard set by the first two is another matter alltogether.
The characters are the strong point of the script, but some of the
action sequences would have been v.difficult to bring off on the
big screen. The final fight for example. Also there were a
number of "unrealistic" elements which detracted from the impact of
the script. Such as the almost instantaneous rate of human to alien
metamorphosis!

I read somewhere that the reason the Gibson script wasn't used was
because when he wrote it Weaver hadn't signed for another film,
so accordingly Ripley appears in a mere couple of scenes (generally
comatose). Unfortunately for us all, she decided to do the film after
all, and rather than rewrite the "Hicks-heavy" script, they just started
all over again, although I'm sure the script went through a lot more incarnations
than just these two.

Alan

UK478 Richard Bown

Aug 17, 1993, 6:30:56 AM8/17/93
In article <CBw9A...@liverpool.ac.uk>, ajm...@liverpool.ac.uk (Mr A.J. Mockler) writes:
|> maha...@happy.uccs.edu wrote:
|> : >Thanks Ken Hung for posting that synopsis of Gibson's Alien3 Script.
|> [ ... loads and loads ...]
|> than just these two.
|>

|> Alan

Forgive my ignorance but is this _William_ Gibson? I can't think of any other
SF Gibsons.

Andrew Miller

Aug 22, 1993, 3:19:47 PM8/22/93

My guess is the same... though I would like to know if this is the script that
was synopsied in DWB #81 (I think..) where the "Company" decided to engineer
their own ALiens which produced a gas which turned humans into Aliens... is
it? If not, please e-mail it to me!!

Cya

Andrew Miller - and...@scorch.apana.org.au

Steve Copold, Director Technology Resources

Aug 22, 1993, 11:44:00 AM8/22/93
In article <1993Aug22....@scorch.apana.org.au>, and...@scorch.apana.org.au (Andrew Miller) writes...

Yes...It is the same William Gibson that wrote Neuromancer, Count Zero,
Burning Chrome, etc. I prepared the synopsis from Gibson's original script that
was submitted to Walter Hill et al. There was nothing in it concerning any
company created aliens, other than the genetic tampering that the "Soviet
Space Brothers" manage to pull off.

Someone else also mentioned that there was something in Gibson's script about a
religious cult...NOT TRUE. That concept was not introduced until Vincent Ward
got involved and managed to thoroughly muck things up. What I posted is all
that was ever in the Gibson script.

Yes, I have the entire script. No, I will not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES e-mail
you a copy. I was as careful as possible in preparing the synopsis to be fair
to Mr. Gibson. It is his work and his property. I purchased the script from a
legitmate source and I stayed within the guidelines of the fair-use doctrine.
If you want a copy....BUY IT. They are available from a shop in Cambridge,
Mass. called the PIX POSTER CELLAR. I have lost their phone number, but you
can call information and get it as they are listed in the phone book. They
also have the Neuromancer script if you're interested in that. Each script
is $15.00 (unbound) plus shipping.

-Steve Copold

Ken Hung

Aug 22, 1993, 2:19:48 PM8/22/93
and...@scorch.apana.org.au (Andrew Miller) writes:

> rich...@comm.mot.com (UK478 Richard Bown) writes:
>
> >In article <CBw9A...@liverpool.ac.uk>, ajm...@liverpool.ac.uk (Mr A.J. Mo

> >Forgive my ignorance but is this _William_ Gibson? I can't think of any othe

> >SF Gibsons.
>
> My guess is the same... though I would like to know if this is the script tha

> was synopsied in DWB #81 (I think..) where the "Company" decided to engineer
> their own ALiens which produced a gas which turned humans into Aliens... is
> it? If not, please e-mail it to me!!
>
> Cya
>
> Andrew Miller - and...@scorch.apana.org.au

yes, this is most *definitely* _william_ gibson...and i think you're
thinking of the same script, altho it's not a gas, but airborne spores...

-ken- 8)

Ken Hung -> (coa...@lunacity.com)
LunaCity BBS - Mountain View, CA - 415 968 8140

Ken Hung

Aug 22, 1993, 2:23:04 PM8/22/93
sce...@panam1.panam.edu (Steve Copold, Director Technology Resources) writes:

> Yes, I have the entire script. No, I will not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES e-mail
> you a copy. I was as careful as possible in preparing the synopsis to be fair
> to Mr. Gibson. It is his work and his property. I purchased the script from a
> legitmate source and I stayed within the guidelines of the fair-use doctrine.
> If you want a copy....BUY IT. They are available from a shop in Cambridge,
> Mass. called the PIX POSTER CELLAR. I have lost their phone number, but you
> can call information and get it as they are listed in the phone book. They
> also have the Neuromancer script if you're interested in that. Each script
> is $15.00 (unbound) plus shipping.
>
> -Steve Copold

hm, now this is interesting...i spoke with gibson (wow! i did?! i'm
still in shock!) at a signing he attended in my area recently. someone
asked him about the aforementioned script, and he said that he could not
provide copies or even a source for the script, stating that the script
was no longer his property (presumably he meant it was the film-maker's
property)...but, he also mentioned that the only way you could go about
getting a copy would probably be bootlegs....hm. oh well.

does anyone have the address for pix's??

Joshua Bell

Aug 26, 1993, 5:25:10 PM8/26/93
In article <22AUG199...@panam1.panam.edu>, Steve Copold, Director Technology Resources <sce...@panam1.panam.edu> wrote:

>Someone else also mentioned that there was something in Gibson's script about a
>religious cult...NOT TRUE. That concept was not introduced until Vincent Ward
>got involved and managed to thoroughly muck things up. What I posted is all
>that was ever in the Gibson script.

I posted the following article about this time last year. It
explains many of the reasons A^3 was such a screwed up picture. I
can't garuntee the accuracy of the facts.

Well, this is from the british magazine, Aliens, Volume 2 Number
1, which does stuff like reprint old Dark Horse Comics Aliens and
Predator comic series', have interviews w/ the actors and
behind-the-scenes stuff:

(Blantantly copied, (C) 1992 Dave Hughes & Lee Brimmicombe-Wood)

Unnatural Selection - The Evolution of Alien 3

| Time

\|/

WHO WHAT

Hill, Giler, Carrol Producers Walter Hill, David Giler
| \ and Gordon Caroll hire SF Novelist
| Gibson William Gibson to write a screenplay
| . from their treatment, on a Soviet
| . space station. Gibson's draft is
- . rejected.
.
Harlin . Eric Red is hired along with director
/ | . Renny Harlin. Red's script, set in
Red | . a colony of redneck farmers (w/o
- . Ripley) is rejected. Harlin hates it
. so much he quits.
.
Ward, Fasano Twohy--Twohy David Twohy writes two versions of
| . story set on a prison planet, one
| with Ripley and one without.
| .
| Vincent Ward, hired as director, wants
| . to set the story on a monestary on a
|\ wooden planetoid. Fox hires John Fasano
| \ . to write Ward's verion, telling Twohy
| \ that Fasano's script is for Alien 4.
| Pruss .
| | Greg Pruss hired to rewrite Fasano's
| | . script. Pruss finds working with Ward
| | hard going and quits over "creative
| | . differences." Fasana returns to rewrite
| Fasano own script.
| | .
- | The Fasano/Ward partnership goes out of
| . control. "Ward started to flip out,"
| says insider. Exit Ward as director even
| . as sets are being constructed in London.
$10 Million-- |
| .
Fincher, Ferguson Enter 27-year-old commercial and music
\ . video director David Fincher and Larry
\ Ferguson to rewrite Fasano's 'monks'
$20 Million-- \ . script. Weaver ("At that point I was
\ willing to follow him anywhere," she
\ . says) but not with Ferguson, who she
Fincher, said had made Ripley sound like "a very
Hill, pissed off gym instructor". Exit Ferguson.
Giler
| Hill and Giler decide to write as well
| as produce. Their "emergency rewrite"
| reintroduces elements of Twohy's
| "prison planet" script but retains the
| religious elements of the Ward/Fasano
| period.
/|
/ | Rex Picket hired to rewrite second half
/ | of Hill/Giler script. Picket attacks
Picket | Hill and Giler in a private memo
| supporting Fincher's input over the
| writer-producers'. Exit Picket. Fox
| and Weaver happy with Hill/Giler script,
| but Fincher has reservations.
|
| Hill, Giler and Fincher fight for two
| months over the script. Fincher has
| problems with budgetary limitations.
| He recalls that when the president of
| Paramount told him, "Fincher, nobody
| is going to give you $40 million for
$35 Million-- | a first picture," he answered, "I
| know that. What would I do with a
| 40-minute movie?"

$40 Million-- | Fincher busy filming his "perfectionist"
| Alien 3 in London. Against a background
| of spiraling costs, Fox send
| "troubleshooter" to oversee Fincher. After
| seeing rough cut, Fox pull plug and order
| Fincher and his crew home.

$55 Million-- | Hill and Giler return to supervise
| post-production. Extensive list of
| reshoots drawn up, but budgetary
| limitations and Weaver's refusal to
| shave head again prevent ending being
| dramatically altered, despite obvious
| (but coincidental) similarities to the
| ending of Terminator 2.

$65 Million-- ALIEN 3 released in US.

Sorry for the... er... maze? Trust me, on paper it looks worse,
this ugly twisted mass of black blobs on a multi-colored backdrop.

This issue also has tech specs for the Pulse Rifles, Smart Guns
and Flamers from Aliens.

Joshua
--
| "Has it been a bad year, or what?" - Meriadoc Brandybuck, |
| upon returning to the Shire after the War of the Ring. |

Keith Meng-Wei Loh

Aug 27, 1993, 11:01:34 PM8/27/93
jsb...@acs.ucalgary.ca (Joshua Bell) writes:

>I posted the following article about this time last year. It
>explains many of the reasons A^3 was such a screwed up picture. I
>can't garuntee the accuracy of the facts.

>Well, this is from the british magazine, Aliens, Volume 2 Number
>1, which does stuff like reprint old Dark Horse Comics Aliens and
>Predator comic series', have interviews w/ the actors and
>behind-the-scenes stuff:

>(Blantantly copied, (C) 1992 Dave Hughes & Lee Brimmicombe-Wood)

Just to mince plagiarism notes but the information below I found
very similar to the article "Mother from another planet" from
Premiere magazine especially the quotes. Though it wasn't in
schematic form, it sounded very familiar.