Two words: Godzilla haiku

Ken from Chicago

Mar 12, 2010, 6:22:13 AM3/12/10
Sure, in retrospect, your reaction is bound to be, "Well of course, duh!"

Godzilla haiku, like peanut butter, bacon and starships, two great things
that go great together.

[On the off chance there are some who don't know, a "haiku" is a Japanese
poem. The hard rules are that they are 3 lines, 17 syllables, the first and
last lines are 5 syllables each with middle line being 7 syllables long. The
soft rules are first line is setup, second line follow-thru, third line is
the resolution / punchline--and words are not broken up at the end of a
line.

Also they tend to be like ballads, bittersweet, a mix of melancholy leavened
with a bit of sweetness to take off the edge, like stories of unrequited
love or unconsumated love where the love is soured, (e.g., one loves another
but the other only likes the one, but not *like* like, or they are married
to other people, or one is in prison, or one thought the other had died and
married someone else, or they aare alien species who can't be together or
can be together but can't *be* be together, etc., but I digress.]

Here are some samples:

Fire does not hurt me
Neither do your silly weapons
But your words pierce true

Am I violent?
Because you assume I am?
Is this really me?

My favorite tho:

Godzilla must go
So you cannot see the depths
Of his loneliless

http://io9.com/5487955/the-existential-beauty-of-godzilla-haiku/gallery/

Be warned tho there is a somewhat disturbing one, in a socially awkward way,
like the elephant in the room no one discusses. Kids giggle awkwardly. Teens
mock it outright. Adults diplomatically ignore it (e.g., someone farting). I
won't mention it but you'll know when you see it. It's something kids would
have noticed originally when watching them back in the '70s on tv but would
have reacted as mentioned above.

-- Ken from Chicago

P.S. I'd like to add to the list:

Aaaaie! Godzilla! Run!
Adults, wait! He's not so bad.
The kid's right, he's-STOMP!

Captain Infinity

Mar 12, 2010, 8:09:49 AM3/12/10
Once Upon A Time,
Ken from Chicago wrote:

>Sure, in retrospect, your reaction is bound to be, "Well of course, duh!"
>
>Godzilla haiku, like peanut butter, bacon and starships, two great things
>that go great together.

Bambi is grazing
In the cool, green clover patch.
CRUNCH! He eats no more.

**
Captain Infinity

Mike Schilling

Mar 12, 2010, 1:05:15 PM3/12/10
The unexpected
I conquer just like the rest
But Perry Mason?

Kurt Busiek

Mar 12, 2010, 2:02:33 PM3/12/10
On 2010-03-12 10:05:15 -0800, "Mike Schilling"
<mscotts...@hotmail.com> said:

I kill them because
Their lips are so out of sync
With what they're saying

kdb
--
Visit http://www.busiek.com -- for all your Busiek needs!

Kurt Busiek

Mar 12, 2010, 2:19:25 PM3/12/10
On 2010-03-12 11:02:33 -0800, Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> said:

> On 2010-03-12 10:05:15 -0800, "Mike Schilling"
> <mscotts...@hotmail.com> said:
>
>> The unexpected
>> I conquer just like the rest
>> But Perry Mason?
>
> I kill them because
> Their lips are so out of sync
> With what they're saying

Haiku. I hate haiku.
Haiku men live in Tokyo.
Kill them. Kill them all.

icarp...@aol.com

Mar 12, 2010, 3:13:48 PM3/12/10
Matthew Broderick
And Maria Pitillo
Is there no pity?

Chris

Mar 12, 2010, 3:23:51 PM3/12/10
On Mar 12, 2:19 pm, Kurt Busiek <k...@busiek.com> wrote:

> On 2010-03-12 11:02:33 -0800, Kurt Busiek <k...@busiek.com> said:
>
> > On 2010-03-12 10:05:15 -0800, "Mike Schilling"
> > <mscottschill...@hotmail.com> said:
>
> >> The unexpected
> >> I conquer just like the rest
> >> But Perry Mason?
>
> > I kill them because
> > Their lips are so out of sync
> > With what they're saying
>
> Haiku. I hate haiku.
> Haiku men live in Tokyo.
> Kill them. Kill them all.

Urban renewal
draws many to my presence
like Mothra to flame

> kdb
>
> --
> Visithttp://www.busiek.com-- for all your Busiek needs!

Ken from Chicago

Mar 13, 2010, 11:22:31 AM3/13/10

"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The unexpected
> I conquer just like the rest
> But Perry Mason?

Wow, I forgot about the Perry Mason connection.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 13, 2010, 11:26:58 AM3/13/10

"Kurt Busiek" <ku...@busiek.com> wrote in message

> On 2010-03-12 10:05:15 -0800, "Mike Schilling"
> <mscotts...@hotmail.com> said:
>
>> The unexpected
>> I conquer just like the rest
>> But Perry Mason?
>
> I kill them because
> Their lips are so out of sync
> With what they're saying

That is so wrong, Kurt. So hilariously hysterically wrong. And soon as I can
stop grinning, I'll post a twelve page posting detailing why--while will
involve a surprising connection / citation of robocars, robotic space
explorers and the arbitrariness of SF / fantasy definitions.

> kdb
> --
> Visit http://www.busiek.com -- for all your Busiek needs!

Dude, aren't you spose to be in the hospital, griping about hospital food
and ignoring doctor's orders for bedrest while sneaktyping yet another
story?

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 13, 2010, 11:27:29 AM3/13/10

<icarp...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Matthew Broderick
> And Maria Pitillo
> Is there no pity?

I forgot about their connection--and you'll pay for making me remember!

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 13, 2010, 11:28:42 AM3/13/10

"Chris" <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Mar 12, 2:19 pm, Kurt Busiek <k...@busiek.com> wrote:
>> On 2010-03-12 11:02:33 -0800, Kurt Busiek <k...@busiek.com> said:

>> > I kill them because
>> > Their lips are so out of sync
>> > With what they're saying
>>
>> Haiku. I hate haiku.
>> Haiku men live in Tokyo.
>> Kill them. Kill them all.
>
> Urban renewal
> draws many to my presence
> like Mothra to flame

O architecture
You know the old saying, right?
"The bigger they are ..."

-- Ken from Chicago

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Mar 13, 2010, 11:44:17 AM3/13/10

"One day we'll find it
The Mason connection
The judges, Ham Berger, and me."

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Anim8rFSK

Mar 13, 2010, 10:23:51 PM3/13/10
In article <N-ednYyPZOhLIQbW...@giganews.com>,

Hospital? I hope Kurt's okay, or will be?

--
As Adam West as Bruce Wayne as Batman said in "Smack in the Middle"
the second half of the 1966 BATMAN series pilot when Jill St. John

Ken from Chicago

Mar 13, 2010, 10:53:57 PM3/13/10

"Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message

Sounds like you ... need ... to know more about Kurt Busiek. Fortunately
there is one place of ... note ... that supplies all your Busiek needs.

Speaking notes, that's the spot there you'd want to check out.

-- Ken from Chicago (still miffed at Busiek throughly thrashing his vision
of a pro writer, alone, in a secluded cabin in the woods, in a heavy wooden,
leather upholstered chair, typing away on a old typewriter on a heavy wooden
table, with a large mug of hot chocolate to chase the chill away, and the
only sound a crackling fire in the fireplace--or in a sleek apartment filled
with chrome and glass, on the Gold Coast, overlooking Lake Michigan with the
occassional sailboat plying the waves on a chill late winter's morning,
while inside the temperature-controlled apartment our stalwart writer
reclines on a new chrome and leather chair, typing away on a sleek laptop,
with a glass of ice water, with only the sound of a classical work of music
playing on his Dolby Surround Sound 7.1 audiovisual home theater system--and
either case working on the ONE STORY they have in mind)

David DeLaney

Mar 13, 2010, 6:09:48 PM3/13/10
Ken from Chicago <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
>-- Ken from Chicago (still miffed at Busiek throughly thrashing his vision
>of a pro writer, alone, in a secluded cabin in the woods, in a heavy wooden,
>leather upholstered chair, typing away on a old typewriter on a heavy wooden
>table,

... an old heavy wooden typewriter?

>with a large mug of hot chocolate to chase the chill away, and the
>only sound a crackling fire in the fireplace--or in a sleek apartment filled
>with chrome and glass, on the Gold Coast, overlooking Lake Michigan with the
>occassional sailboat plying the waves on a chill late winter's morning,
>while inside the temperature-controlled apartment our stalwart writer
>reclines on a new chrome and leather chair, typing away on a sleek laptop,
>with a glass of ice water, with only the sound of a classical work of music
>playing on his Dolby Surround Sound 7.1 audiovisual home theater system--and
>either case working on the ONE STORY they have in mind)

I'm guessing you just have to change which style sheet you're using for the
writer to achieve these effects.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Kurt Busiek

Mar 14, 2010, 12:45:35 AM3/14/10
On 2010-03-13 19:23:51 -0800, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> said:

> In article <N-ednYyPZOhLIQbW...@giganews.com>,
> "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Dude, aren't you spose to be in the hospital, griping about hospital food
>> and ignoring doctor's orders for bedrest while sneaktyping yet another
>> story?
>

> Hospital? I hope Kurt's okay, or will be?

I had day surgery a couple of weeks back. I'm fine.

kdb
--
Visit http://www.busiek.com — for all your Busiek needs!

Ken from Chicago

Mar 14, 2010, 7:37:26 AM3/14/10

"David DeLaney" <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote in message

> Ken from Chicago <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>-- Ken from Chicago (still miffed at Busiek throughly thrashing his vision
>>of a pro writer, alone, in a secluded cabin in the woods, in a heavy
>>wooden,
>>leather upholstered chair, typing away on a old typewriter on a heavy
>>wooden
>>table,
>
> ... an old heavy wooden typewriter?

There were wooden typewriters?

>>with a large mug of hot chocolate to chase the chill away, and the
>>only sound a crackling fire in the fireplace--or in a sleek apartment
>>filled
>>with chrome and glass, on the Gold Coast, overlooking Lake Michigan with
>>the
>>occassional sailboat plying the waves on a chill late winter's morning,
>>while inside the temperature-controlled apartment our stalwart writer
>>reclines on a new chrome and leather chair, typing away on a sleek laptop,
>>with a glass of ice water, with only the sound of a classical work of
>>music
>>playing on his Dolby Surround Sound 7.1 audiovisual home theater
>>system--and
>>either case working on the ONE STORY they have in mind)
>
> I'm guessing you just have to change which style sheet you're using for
> the
> writer to achieve these effects.
>
> Dave

I did say "--or...".

-- Ken from Chicago

Anim8rFSK

Mar 14, 2010, 11:39:18 AM3/14/10
In article <hnht61$slq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:

> On 2010-03-13 19:23:51 -0800, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> said:
>
> > In article <N-ednYyPZOhLIQbW...@giganews.com>,
> > "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Dude, aren't you spose to be in the hospital, griping about hospital food
> >> and ignoring doctor's orders for bedrest while sneaktyping yet another
> >> story?
> >
> > Hospital? I hope Kurt's okay, or will be?
>
> I had day surgery a couple of weeks back. I'm fine.
>
> kdb

Good news! Yay!!

Wait. Day surgery? Did you have a day added or removed?? AND IS THIS
WHY EVERYBODY IS SETTING THEIR CLOCKS BACK!?!?

Thanks, Kurt!

art...@yahoo.com

Mar 14, 2010, 11:44:17 AM3/14/10
On Mar 12, 7:22 am, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Sure, in retrospect, your reaction is bound to be, "Well of course, duh!"

Actually my reaction was that I thought that Haiku had to be more than
2 words

Michael Bowker

Mar 14, 2010, 3:25:22 PM3/14/10
Anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <hnht61$slq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-03-13 19:23:51 -0800, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> said:

>>> Hospital? I hope Kurt's okay, or will be?
>> I had day surgery a couple of weeks back. I'm fine.
>>
>> kdb
>
> Good news! Yay!!
>
> Wait. Day surgery? Did you have a day added or removed?? AND IS THIS
> WHY EVERYBODY IS SETTING THEIR CLOCKS BACK!?!?
>
> Thanks, Kurt!

Anim, forward. Spring Forward, Fall back. But it is good to know there
is a reason. :)

William George Ferguson

Mar 14, 2010, 8:10:21 PM3/14/10

Anim can't be expected to know that, since, like me, he lives in a sensible
state, where we don't need no steenking Daulight Savings.

--
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Pete B

Mar 14, 2010, 8:19:04 PM3/14/10
In article <o96dnSO2JZJ0vgfW...@giganews.com>,
kwicker1...@comcast.net says...

> Sure, in retrospect, your reaction is bound to be, "Well of course, duh!"

No no, my reaction is WHY!!! For Heaven's Sake why?!

Pete B

Mar 14, 2010, 8:21:45 PM3/14/10
In article <d4e50d4e-c73f-43e6-b748-1914b5b6c733
@q16g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>, icarp...@aol.com says...

> Matthew Broderick
> And Maria Pitillo
> Is there no pity?

Real haikus require you to mention nature (and no, those two don't
count)

Merrick Baldelli

Mar 14, 2010, 8:50:57 PM3/14/10
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 06:37:26 -0500, "Ken from Chicago"
<kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> ... an old heavy wooden typewriter?
>
>There were wooden typewriters?

They were called Printing Presses. And yes, they were once
made of wood and steel. You're old enough to remember those Ken....
The first time 'round.

--
-=-=-/ )=*=-='=-.-'-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
_( (_ , '_ * . Merrick Baldelli

David DeLaney

Mar 14, 2010, 6:03:29 PM3/14/10
Pete B <xxxh@_xsomeething.com> wrote:
>kwicker1...@comcast.net says...
>> Sure, in retrospect, your reaction is bound to be, "Well of course, duh!"
>
>No no, my reaction is WHY!!! For Heaven's Sake why?!

"And above all, why? And to what end?"

Dave "okay, it's Nourse" DeLaney

Ken from Chicago

Mar 15, 2010, 5:17:55 AM3/15/10

"Merrick Baldelli" <mbal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 06:37:26 -0500, "Ken from Chicago"
> <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>> ... an old heavy wooden typewriter?
>>
>>There were wooden typewriters?
>
> They were called Printing Presses. And yes, they were once
> made of wood and steel. You're old enough to remember those Ken....
> The first time 'round.

Yes, but I doubt individual writers have wooden printing presses in their
homes.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 15, 2010, 5:42:08 AM3/15/10

"William George Ferguson" <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

No, it's Daylight Standard Time that's evil. Why trade an extra hour of
daylight in the evening for one in the morning?

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 15, 2010, 5:43:05 AM3/15/10

"Pete B" <xxxh@_xsomeething.com> wrote in message

You're just excited by the prospect you don't know how to handle it.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 15, 2010, 6:04:41 AM3/15/10

> Pete B <xxxh@_xsomeething.com> wrote:
>>kwicker1...@comcast.net says...
>>> Sure, in retrospect, your reaction is bound to be, "Well of course,
>>> duh!"
>>
>>No no, my reaction is WHY!!! For Heaven's Sake why?!
>
> "And above all, why? And to what end?"
>
> Dave "okay, it's Nourse" DeLaney

Exceptance of him
Godzilla is no monster
He's nature's cleaner

-- Ken from Chicago

William George Ferguson

Mar 15, 2010, 11:47:17 AM3/15/10
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 04:42:08 -0500, "Ken from Chicago"
<kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

Arizona did Daylight Savings one year back in the 60s. It was still light
outside when the Tonight show would start. That's just wrong.

--
"Oh Buffy, you really do need to have
every square inch of your ass kicked."

William George Ferguson

Mar 15, 2010, 11:55:45 AM3/15/10

Again and again
Godzilla, folly of man
Nature points out

David DeLaney

Mar 15, 2010, 1:41:45 PM3/15/10
William George Ferguson <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>Real haikus require you to mention nature (and no, those two don't count)
>
>Again and again
>Godzilla, folly of man
>Nature points out
^--it

Dave

Michael Stemper

Mar 15, 2010, 1:51:57 PM3/15/10
In article <uNGdna3etsm-pQDW...@posted.rawbandwidth>, Michael Bowker <mi...@rawbw.com> writes:
>Anim8rFSK wrote:
>> In article <hnht61$slq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:

>>> I had day surgery a couple of weeks back. I'm fine.

>> Good news! Yay!!

>> Wait. Day surgery? Did you have a day added or removed?? AND IS THIS
>> WHY EVERYBODY IS SETTING THEIR CLOCKS BACK!?!?

>Anim, forward. Spring Forward, Fall back. But it is good to know there
>is a reason. :)

Maybe Anim8r lives in the southern hemisphere, where folks are leaving
(or preparing to leave) summer time.

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>

icarp...@aol.com

Mar 15, 2010, 2:37:44 PM3/15/10
What are train tracks for?
Reptilian dental floss
...sticky commuters

Matt

William George Ferguson

Mar 15, 2010, 3:46:34 PM3/15/10
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:41:45 -0400, d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney)
wrote:

>William George Ferguson <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>>Real haikus require you to mention nature (and no, those two don't count)
>>
>>Again and again
>>Godzilla, folly of man
>>Nature points out
> ^--it
>
>Dave

Form: five, seven, five
Makes seventeen syllables
'it' would make eighteen

To compress your thought
Haiku's strictures are wonderful
Twitter: new haiku?

Kurt Busiek

Mar 15, 2010, 3:58:20 PM3/15/10
On 2010-03-15 12:46:34 -0700, William George Ferguson
<wmgf...@newsguy.com> said:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:41:45 -0400, d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney)
> wrote:

>>> Again and again
>>> Godzilla, folly of man
>>> Nature points out
>> ^--it
>

> Form: five, seven, five
> Makes seventeen syllables
> 'it' would make eighteen

"Nature points out" is four syllables.

One of mine has a six syllable first line that I noticed only after I
posted it, but since it was about Godzilla hating haiku, maybe it's
okay for him to screw it up.

kdb
--
Visit http://www.busiek.com -- for all your Busiek needs!

William George Ferguson

Mar 15, 2010, 4:27:33 PM3/15/10
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:58:20 -0700, Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:

>On 2010-03-15 12:46:34 -0700, William George Ferguson
><wmgf...@newsguy.com> said:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:41:45 -0400, d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney)
>> wrote:

>>> ^--it
>>
>> Form: five, seven, five
>> Makes seventeen syllables
>> 'it' would make eighteen
>
>"Nature points out" is four syllables.

I've never mastered pronouncing 'point' as a single syllable

>One of mine has a six syllable first line that I noticed only after I
>posted it, but since it was about Godzilla hating haiku, maybe it's
>okay for him to screw it up.

And if not, who's going to tell him (or her)?

(something about being tasty and going well with marshmallows would seem
appropriate)

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Mar 15, 2010, 4:32:45 PM3/15/10
William George Ferguson wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:58:20 -0700, Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-03-15 12:46:34 -0700, William George Ferguson
>> <wmgf...@newsguy.com> said:

>>> Form: five, seven, five
>>> Makes seventeen syllables
>>> 'it' would make eighteen
>> "Nature points out" is four syllables.
>
> I've never mastered pronouncing 'point' as a single syllable

I can't easily figure out how you'd pronounce it as two. Po-oiint?

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Wayne Throop

Mar 15, 2010, 4:45:11 PM3/15/10
:: "Nature points out" is four syllables.

: William George Ferguson <wmgf...@newsguy.com>
: I've never mastered pronouncing 'point' as a single syllable

Huh. I can't make out how anybody'd make it more than one.
Is it "poi-unt" in your dialect, or "poe-int", or what?

The other possibilty I considered was pronounce the "e" in "nature".
So, "nah-too-reh".

Wayne Throop thr...@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw

Kurt Busiek

Mar 15, 2010, 5:00:30 PM3/15/10
On 2010-03-15 13:27:33 -0700, William George Ferguson
<wmgf...@newsguy.com> said:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:58:20 -0700, Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-03-15 12:46:34 -0700, William George Ferguson
>> <wmgf...@newsguy.com> said:

>>> Form: five, seven, five
>>> Makes seventeen syllables
>>> 'it' would make eighteen
>>
>> "Nature points out" is four syllables.
>
> I've never mastered pronouncing 'point' as a single syllable

There's only the one vowel sound in it. Or do you hear it as two? "Poy-int"?

William George Ferguson

Mar 15, 2010, 5:23:04 PM3/15/10

Poe-eent

I can't figure how one doesn't pronounce the i.

Do you consider coy to be one syllable or two (I hear it as two).

Do you perhpaps hear the 'oi' as wee rather oh-ee?

Mike Schilling

Mar 15, 2010, 5:27:58 PM3/15/10
William George Ferguson wrote:
>> I can't easily figure out how you'd pronounce it as two. Po-oiint?
>
> Poe-eent
>
> I can't figure how one doesn't pronounce the i.
>
> Do you consider coy to be one syllable or two (I hear it as two).

One for me and I expect for most of us.

> Do you perhpaps hear the 'oi' as wee rather oh-ee?

No, as "oi", which is one sound (though it travels within the mouth, gliding
from front to back.) Do you mind if I ask where you're from?

Jack Bohn

Mar 15, 2010, 5:50:25 PM3/15/10
David DeLaney wrote:

>William George Ferguson <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>>Real haikus require you to mention nature (and no, those two don't count)
>>
>>Again and again
>>Godzilla, folly of man
>>Nature points out
> ^--it

Nature, once again,
Points out the folly of men.
There goes Tokyo.

--
-Jack

Kurt Busiek

Mar 15, 2010, 5:50:38 PM3/15/10
On 2010-03-15 14:23:04 -0700, William George Ferguson
<wmgf...@newsguy.com> said:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:32:45 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> William George Ferguson wrote:

>>> I've never mastered pronouncing 'point' as a single syllable
>>
>> I can't easily figure out how you'd pronounce it as two. Po-oiint?
>
> Poe-eent
>
> I can't figure how one doesn't pronounce the i.

"oi" is a combined sound, not two separate souds.

> Do you consider coy to be one syllable or two (I hear it as two).

One. Also joy, boy, toy, goy, poi, Roy and soy.

> Do you perhpaps hear the 'oi' as wee rather oh-ee?

No, as "oy" rather than as "oh-ee."

I can see where some people would stretch out words like "oil" and
Freud" two two syllables, but they're considered single-syllable words
by most, and when that sound shows up in a haiku, it takes up one
syllable.

http://popup.lala.com/popup/937030214701637636

William George Ferguson

Mar 15, 2010, 6:07:09 PM3/15/10

Oklahoma (note, no 'i's in that) originally. and yes, I (we) don't
pronounce the 'i' sound the way many do (most notably, no true Oklahoman
can pronounce a long I properly).

Sean Eric Fagan

Mar 15, 2010, 5:52:46 PM3/15/10
In article <aratp5ldms2svadgn...@4ax.com>,

Jack Bohn <jack...@bright.net> wrote:
>Nature, once again,
>Points out the folly of men.
>There goes Tokyo.

The problem with that is that "Tokyo" is correctly pronounced as a
two-syllable word, to-kyo, not to-key-oh

Joe Pfeiffer

Mar 15, 2010, 6:33:45 PM3/15/10
William George Ferguson <wmgf...@newsguy.com> writes:

> Poe-eent
>
> I can't figure how one doesn't pronounce the i.
>
> Do you consider coy to be one syllable or two (I hear it as two).
>
> Do you perhpaps hear the 'oi' as wee rather oh-ee?

Must be a regionalism. How do you hear 'oy' as in 'oy vey'?

Wayne Throop

Mar 15, 2010, 6:28:58 PM3/15/10
: Jack Bohn <jack...@bright.net>
: Nature, once again,

: Points out the folly of men.
: There goes Tokyo.

Isn't it more proper to pronounce Tokyo as "toh-kyo" than "toke-ee-oh"?
(Not that I don't pronounce it in the latter fashion...)
(Of course, then we have to tinker with the pronunciation of Godzilla...
but at least they're both three syllables)

Mike Schilling

Mar 15, 2010, 6:46:06 PM3/15/10
William George Ferguson wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:27:58 -0700, "Mike Schilling"
> <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Poe-eent
>>>
>>> I can't figure how one doesn't pronounce the i.
>>>
>>> Do you consider coy to be one syllable or two (I hear it as two).
>>
>> One for me and I expect for most of us.
>>>
>>> Do you perhpaps hear the 'oi' as wee rather oh-ee?
>>
>> No, as "oi", which is one sound (though it travels within the mouth,
>> gliding from front to back.) Do you mind if I ask where you're from?
>
> Oklahoma (note, no 'i's in that) originally. and yes, I (we) don't
> pronounce the 'i' sound the way many do (most notably, no true
> Oklahoman can pronounce a long I properly).

So ah hear.

Jack Bohn

Mar 15, 2010, 6:52:00 PM3/15/10
Ken from Chicago wrote:

>Godzilla haiku, like peanut butter, bacon and starships, two great things
>that go great together.
>
>[On the off chance there are some who don't know, a "haiku" is a Japanese
>poem. The hard rules are that they are 3 lines, 17 syllables, the first and
>last lines are 5 syllables each with middle line being 7 syllables long. The
>soft rules are first line is setup, second line follow-thru, third line is
>the resolution / punchline--and words are not broken up at the end of a
>line.

Ankylosaurus,
King Kong, Mothra, and Rodan,
Then King Ghidorah.

--
-Jack

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Mar 15, 2010, 6:54:05 PM3/15/10
William George Ferguson wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:32:45 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> William George Ferguson wrote:

>>> I've never mastered pronouncing 'point' as a single syllable
>> I can't easily figure out how you'd pronounce it as two. Po-oiint?
>
> Poe-eent
>
> I can't figure how one doesn't pronounce the i.

OI is a sound like "Oy!"

Wayne Throop

Mar 15, 2010, 6:39:00 PM3/15/10
::: I can't easily figure out how you'd pronounce it as two. Po-oiint?
:: Poe-eent
: "oi" is a combined sound, not two separate souds.

FWIW, see http://www.google.com/dictionary?aq=f&langpair=en|en&hl=en&q=point
which has an audio feature to play the pronunciation.
Sure sounds like one sylable to me. And in terms of producing the
sound, my lips aren't rounded in the milddle of "oi" as they are in
the middle of "oh-ee".

I wonder if "coin" counds like two sylables?
And if not, could adding a "t" sound to the end yeilding "count"
make it tempting to say and/or hear as two?

Brian M. Scott

Mar 15, 2010, 7:58:59 PM3/15/10
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:39:00 GMT, Wayne Throop
<thr...@sheol.org> wrote in <news:12686...@sheol.org> in
rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.sf.written:

>:: Poe-eent

Presumably that's supposed to be 'yielding "coint"'.

Brian

Captain Infinity

Mar 15, 2010, 7:59:50 PM3/15/10
Once Upon A Time,
Wayne Throop wrote:

>Isn't it more proper to pronounce Tokyo as "toh-kyo" than "toke-ee-oh"?
>(Not that I don't pronounce it in the latter fashion...)
>(Of course, then we have to tinker with the pronunciation of Godzilla...
>but at least they're both three syllables)

It's pronounced "God-zirr-uh".

**
Captain Infinity

Ken from Chicago

Mar 15, 2010, 8:27:42 PM3/15/10

"Michael Stemper" <mste...@walkabout.empros.com> wrote in message

> In article <uNGdna3etsm-pQDW...@posted.rawbandwidth>, Michael
> Bowker <mi...@rawbw.com> writes:
>>Anim8rFSK wrote:

>>> Good news! Yay!!
>>>
>>> Wait. Day surgery? Did you have a day added or removed?? AND IS THIS
>>> WHY EVERYBODY IS SETTING THEIR CLOCKS BACK!?!?
>
>>Anim, forward. Spring Forward, Fall back. But it is good to know there
>>is a reason. :)
>
> Maybe Anim8r lives in the southern hemisphere, where folks are leaving
> (or preparing to leave) summer time.

Actually Anim's many many complaints about Governor Janet Napoliano was kind
of a hint his locale was near the land of the Grand Canyon.

-- Ken from Chicago

Wayne Throop

Mar 15, 2010, 9:31:27 PM3/15/10
:: I wonder if "coin" counds like two sylables? And if not, could

:: adding a "t" sound to the end yeilding "count" make it tempting to
:: say and/or hear as two?

: "Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu>
: Presumably that's supposed to be 'yielding "coint"'.

True. I think my traitorous fingers corrected it on the way from
brain to keyboard. And since I "knew" what I'd typed, proofreading
was ineffective revealing it to me.

Wayne Throop

Mar 15, 2010, 9:34:06 PM3/15/10
:: Presumably that's supposed to be 'yielding "coint"'.

: thr...@sheol.org (Wayne Throop)
: True.

Oh, and PS, at this point, I would tenatively expect that if one says/hears
"point" as "poe-eent", one would say/hear "coin" as "coe-een".
Not sure if "toy" would come out "toe-ee".

David Goldfarb

Mar 15, 2010, 9:21:11 PM3/15/10
In article <hnma3e$9pq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:
>"oi" is a combined sound, not two separate souds.

The technical term for which is "diphthong".

--
David Goldfarb |"Never argue with a pedant over nomenclature.
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | It wastes your time and annoys the pedant."

Kurt Busiek

Mar 15, 2010, 9:53:27 PM3/15/10
On 2010-03-15 18:21:11 -0700, gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu (David Goldfarb) said:

> In article <hnma3e$9pq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:
>> "oi" is a combined sound, not two separate souds.
>
> The technical term for which is "diphthong".

Watch your language.

There are ladies present.

Bill Snyder

Mar 15, 2010, 11:23:13 PM3/15/10
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:53:27 -0700, Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com>
wrote:

>On 2010-03-15 18:21:11 -0700, gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu (David Goldfarb) said:

>> In article <hnma3e$9pq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
>> Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:
>>> "oi" is a combined sound, not two separate souds.
>>
>> The technical term for which is "diphthong".
>
>Watch your language.
>
>There are ladies present.

Sexist pig. If Monica can diph her thong, I guess he can, too.

--
Bill Snyder [This space unintentionally left blank]

Kurt Busiek

Mar 15, 2010, 11:27:11 PM3/15/10
On 2010-03-15 20:23:13 -0700, Bill Snyder <bsn...@airmail.net> said:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:53:27 -0700, Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-03-15 18:21:11 -0700, gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu (David Goldfarb) said:

>>> The technical term for which is "diphthong".
>>
>> Watch your language.
>>
>> There are ladies present.
>
> Sexist pig. If Monica can diph her thong, I guess he can, too.

You really need three people to do that right. And a koala bear.

Wayne Throop

Mar 15, 2010, 11:41:03 PM3/15/10
:: Sexist pig. If Monica can diph her thong, I guess he can, too.

: Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com>
: You really need three people to do that right. And a koala bear.

What, not thirty billion undead pixies? Hm. I guess not;
we don't know the Girl's name (last I knew), and I doubt it's Monica.

"I could find another adventure for Monica."
--- Katherine Gilchrist

"If you're looking for adventure of a new and different kind..."
--- Tom Lehrer

David DeLaney

Mar 15, 2010, 11:45:32 PM3/15/10
William George Ferguson <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote:
>>>
>>>Again and again
>>>Godzilla, folly of man
>>>Nature points out
>> ^--it
>
>Form: five, seven, five
>Makes seventeen syllables
>'it' would make eighteen

...dost thou pronouncest "Nature" as "Nay-tyu-arr" perhaps? "Nat ure points
out" is four.

Dave "or perhaps you're way overemphasizing the diphthong in 'points'?" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

David DeLaney

Mar 15, 2010, 11:47:24 PM3/15/10
Bill Snyder <bsn...@airmail.net> wrote:
>Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:

>>gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu (David Goldfarb) said:
>>>
>>> The technical term for which is "diphthong".
>>
>>Watch your language.
>>
>>There are ladies present.
>
>Sexist pig. If Monica can diph her thong, I guess he can, too.

There are also triphthongs. They tend to be heard as at least two syllables
though.

Dave "but mother never danced through fire showers" DeLaney

Bill Snyder

Mar 15, 2010, 11:57:06 PM3/15/10
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:47:24 -0400, d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David
DeLaney) wrote:

>Bill Snyder <bsn...@airmail.net> wrote:
>>Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:

>>>Watch your language.
>>>
>>>There are ladies present.
>>
>>Sexist pig. If Monica can diph her thong, I guess he can, too.
>
>There are also triphthongs. They tend to be heard as at least two syllables
>though.
>
>Dave "but mother never danced through fire showers" DeLaney

And there's diph-theria, which I guess would involve bestiality.
Maybe that's what Kurt's thinking of with the koala.

Jack Bohn

Mar 16, 2010, 6:16:31 AM3/16/10
Ken from Chicago wrote:

Where the saying is, "...but it's a DRY daylight."

--
-Jack

Jack Bohn

Mar 16, 2010, 6:18:07 AM3/16/10
Sean Eric Fagan wrote:

It's a fair cop.

But in the song, they do stretch it out to three.

--
-Jack

Harold Groot

Mar 16, 2010, 6:38:46 AM3/16/10
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:33:45 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer
<pfei...@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:

>William George Ferguson <wmgf...@newsguy.com> writes:
>>
>> Poe-eent
>>
>> I can't figure how one doesn't pronounce the i.
>>
>> Do you consider coy to be one syllable or two (I hear it as two).
>>
>> Do you perhpaps hear the 'oi' as wee rather oh-ee?
>
>Must be a regionalism. How do you hear 'oy' as in 'oy vey'?

As "Poynt", one syllable.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Mar 16, 2010, 8:20:49 AM3/16/10

More like "Gohzhirah"; No "D" in it (the Romaji spelling is "Gojira").

Remus Shepherd

Mar 16, 2010, 9:54:20 AM3/16/10
In rec.arts.sf.written David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
> Bill Snyder <bsn...@airmail.net> wrote:
> >Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:
> There are also triphthongs. They tend to be heard as at least two syllables
> though.

Try 'beauty'. Most people pronounce it as 'bee-yoo-tee', but occasionally
you might hear 'bee-ah-yoo-tee'. (Probably more likely in 'beautiful'.)

I remember programming a phonetic speech synthesizer as a child, and
being surprised that there was no phoneme for 'i'. It was always represented
as 'ah-ee'. The synthesizer melded them into one syllable. I've never heard
a human being pronounce both phonemes distinctly, but then I've never been
to Oklahoma.

... ...
Remus Shepherd <re...@panix.com>
Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/remus_shepherd/

Kurt Busiek

Mar 16, 2010, 11:48:17 AM3/16/10
On 2010-03-16 06:54:20 -0700, Remus Shepherd <re...@panix.com> said:

> In rec.arts.sf.written David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>> Bill Snyder <bsn...@airmail.net> wrote:
>> There are also triphthongs. They tend to be heard as at least two syllables
>> though.
>
> Try 'beauty'. Most people pronounce it as 'bee-yoo-tee', but occasionally
> you might hear 'bee-ah-yoo-tee'. (Probably more likely in 'beautiful'.)

What, no "Byoo-tee"?

The dictionaries I checked vary between 'bju-te and 'bjut-e, but they
do seem to agree it's a two-syllable word.

Anim8rFSK

Mar 16, 2010, 12:37:29 PM3/16/10
Michael Bowker <mi...@rawbw.com> wrote:

> Anim8rFSK wrote:
> > In article <hnht61$slq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> wrote:

> >> I had day surgery a couple of weeks back. I'm fine.
> >>

> >> kdb

> > Good news! Yay!!
> >
> > Wait. Day surgery? Did you have a day added or removed?? AND IS THIS
> > WHY EVERYBODY IS SETTING THEIR CLOCKS BACK!?!?
> >

> > Thanks, Kurt!

> Anim, forward. Spring Forward, Fall back. But it is good to know there
> is a reason. :)

Backward here. We don't do DST, but (some of) our atomic clocks aren't
smart enough to know that, and jump an hour ahead, and we have to switch
them from Mountain to Pacific, setting them back ...

--
As Adam West as Bruce Wayne as Batman said in "Smack in the Middle"
the second half of the 1966 BATMAN series pilot when Jill St. John
as Molly as Robin as Molly fell into the Batmobile's atomic pile:
"What a terrible way to go-go"

Anim8rFSK

Mar 16, 2010, 12:37:43 PM3/16/10
In article <8luqp5duutlncgubs...@4ax.com>,

William George Ferguson <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:25:22 -0700, Michael Bowker <mi...@rawbw.com> wrote:
>
> >Anim8rFSK wrote:

> >> Good news! Yay!!
> >>
> >> Wait. Day surgery? Did you have a day added or removed?? AND IS THIS
> >> WHY EVERYBODY IS SETTING THEIR CLOCKS BACK!?!?
> >>
> >> Thanks, Kurt!
> >>

> >Anim, forward. Spring Forward, Fall back. But it is good to know there
> >is a reason. :)
>

> Anim can't be expected to know that, since, like me, he lives in a sensible
> state, where we don't need no steenking Daulight Savings.

Yay us!

Anim8rFSK

Mar 16, 2010, 12:39:25 PM3/16/10
In article <6hlsp51bb5acf8jv2...@4ax.com>,

William George Ferguson <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 04:42:08 -0500, "Ken from Chicago"
> <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >"William George Ferguson" <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> >No, it's Daylight Standard Time that's evil. Why trade an extra hour of
> >daylight in the evening for one in the morning?
>
> Arizona did Daylight Savings one year back in the 60s. It was still light
> outside when the Tonight show would start. That's just wrong.

Not as wrong as the Jay Leno Tonight Show starting ... well, at any time
I guess.

Pete B

Mar 16, 2010, 1:22:29 PM3/16/10
In article <FO-dnTHohrG0nAPW...@giganews.com>,
kwicker1...@comcast.net says...

> "Pete B" <xxxh@_xsomeething.com> wrote in message
> > In article <o96dnSO2JZJ0vgfW...@giganews.com>,
> > kwicker1...@comcast.net says...
> >> Sure, in retrospect, your reaction is bound to be, "Well of course, duh!"
> >
> > No no, my reaction is WHY!!! For Heaven's Sake why?!
>
> You're just excited by the prospect you don't know how to handle it.

Is that what it is... how do i make it stop?

Wayne Throop

Mar 16, 2010, 1:53:30 PM3/16/10
::: (Of course, then we have to tinker with the pronunciation of

::: Godzilla... but at least they're both three syllables)

:: It's pronounced "God-zirr-uh".

: "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com>
: More like "Gohzhirah"; No "D" in it (the Romaji spelling is "Gojira").

Thanks to the marvels of the futuristic interweb thingie...

http://www.forvo.com/word/gojira/

which has a button to have it pronounced for you by "Anonymous Forvo user".

David DeLaney

Mar 16, 2010, 2:06:54 PM3/16/10
Remus Shepherd <re...@panix.com> wrote:

>David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>> There are also triphthongs. They tend to be heard as at least two syllables
>> though.
>
> Try 'beauty'. Most people pronounce it as 'bee-yoo-tee', but occasionally
>you might hear 'bee-ah-yoo-tee'. (Probably more likely in 'beautiful'.)

You snipped two others from my original followup. :)

> I remember programming a phonetic speech synthesizer as a child, and
>being surprised that there was no phoneme for 'i'. It was always represented
>as 'ah-ee'. The synthesizer melded them into one syllable. I've never heard
>a human being pronounce both phonemes distinctly, but then I've never been
>to Oklahoma.

Listen to a good singer sometime. You don't sing on the diphthong; you sing
the first part, then 'turn' the second part right at the end. Or even a
mediocre singer. Celine Dion doesn't sing "And aieeeeeeeeeeeee will
al-waeeeeeys ...", after all.

Dave

icarp...@aol.com

Mar 16, 2010, 3:11:53 PM3/16/10
Cold blooded fossil
And yet he spits liquid fire
...with lips out of sync

Matt

icarp...@aol.com

Mar 16, 2010, 3:13:31 PM3/16/10

...drat, that joke was used already.

icarp...@aol.com

Mar 16, 2010, 3:15:23 PM3/16/10
On Mar 16, 2:11 pm, "icarpen...@aol.com" <icarpen...@aol.com> wrote:

If Godzilla wore
Attire befitting 'status'..
How big a diphthong?

Matt

Brian M. Scott

Mar 16, 2010, 3:42:04 PM3/16/10
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:54:20 +0000 (UTC), Remus Shepherd
<re...@panix.com> wrote in
<news:hno2ic$hcs$1...@reader1.panix.com> in
rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> Try 'beauty'. Most people pronounce it as 'bee-yoo-tee',
> but occasionally you might hear 'bee-ah-yoo-tee'.
> (Probably more likely in 'beautiful'.)

The standard pronunciation has two syllables -- more or less
\BYOO-tee\.

[...]

Brian

Carl Henderson

Mar 16, 2010, 6:40:00 PM3/16/10
Radioactive
Dragon from beneath the sea
Flees from Cthulhu

Kurt Busiek

Mar 16, 2010, 8:14:04 PM3/16/10
On 2010-03-16 15:40:00 -0700, Carl Henderson
<jch-u...@carlhenderson.net> said:

Is "Cthulhu" three syllables now? "Chthonic" isn't.

[checks]

Hmm. It seems Lovecraft considered it two syllables -- "Khlûl'-hloo"
-- but it's become common to pronounce it as "kə-THOO-loo." in three
syllables.

I think I'll stick with Lovecraft on this one. Languages changes over
time, but Elder Gods should get the pronunciation that sticks to the
closest the human vocal apparatus can get to the name in its actual
language.

If we want the mercy of dying first, at least.

Greg Goss

Mar 16, 2010, 8:23:21 PM3/16/10
William George Ferguson <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote:

>>> I've never mastered pronouncing 'point' as a single syllable
>>
>> I can't easily figure out how you'd pronounce it as two. Po-oiint?

>Poe-eent
>
>I can't figure how one doesn't pronounce the i.
>
>Do you consider coy to be one syllable or two (I hear it as two).
>
>Do you perhpaps hear the 'oi' as wee rather oh-ee?

Dipthongs are funny that way. Everyone hears the Canadian "house" as
"hoose", which is completely unlike how it's really said. coy, point,
or even Miss Piggy's "moi" are all one syllable with two vowel sounds
in it. (or in the latter case, with two consonants at the front.)
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Greg Goss

Mar 16, 2010, 8:27:01 PM3/16/10
Remus Shepherd <re...@panix.com> wrote:

> Try 'beauty'. Most people pronounce it as 'bee-yoo-tee', but occasionally
>you might hear 'bee-ah-yoo-tee'. (Probably more likely in 'beautiful'.)

Byoo. Tee. Two syllables to me, not three, and four is absurd.

>but then I've never been to Oklahoma.

What do you think of the music?

"Well they tell me I was born there
But I really don't remember"

Brian M. Scott

Mar 16, 2010, 9:36:48 PM3/16/10
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:23:21 -0600, Greg Goss
<go...@gossg.org> wrote in
<news:80alo...@mid.individual.net> in
rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> Everyone hears the Canadian "house" as "hoose", which is

> completely unlike how it's really said. [...]

Not everyone, by any means.

Brian

Remus Shepherd

Mar 16, 2010, 10:06:43 PM3/16/10
In rec.arts.sf.written Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
> Remus Shepherd <re...@panix.com> wrote:
> > Try 'beauty'. Most people pronounce it as 'bee-yoo-tee', but occasionally
> >you might hear 'bee-ah-yoo-tee'. (Probably more likely in 'beautiful'.)
> Byoo. Tee. Two syllables to me, not three, and four is absurd.

We may have found another regional aberration. (For reference, I moved
around a lot growing up, so my accent is from all over the Midwest and
East Coast.)

> >but then I've never been to Oklahoma.
> What do you think of the music?

I don't think I've seen the entire play. The title song is all right.
But off-topic, unless those were ray-guns those cowboys were wearing.

Wayne Throop

Mar 16, 2010, 10:08:09 PM3/16/10
:: Radioactive

:: Dragon from beneath the sea
:: Flees from Cthulhu

: Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com>
: Is "Cthulhu" three syllables now? "Chthonic" isn't.
: It seems Lovecraft considered it two syllables -- "Khl l'-hloo"
: I think I'll stick with Lovecraft on this one.

Radioactive
Dragon from beneath the sea

Flees before Cthulhu

You know, like kneeling before Zod, but faster, and with more tentacles.

Kurt Busiek

Mar 16, 2010, 10:43:45 PM3/16/10
On 2010-03-16 19:08:09 -0700, thr...@sheol.org (Wayne Throop) said:

> :: Radioactive
> :: Dragon from beneath the sea
> :: Flees from Cthulhu
>
> : Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com>
> : Is "Cthulhu" three syllables now? "Chthonic" isn't.
> : It seems Lovecraft considered it two syllables -- "Khl l'-hloo"
> : I think I'll stick with Lovecraft on this one.
>
> Radioactive
> Dragon from beneath the sea
> Flees before Cthulhu
>
> You know, like kneeling before Zod, but faster, and with more tentacles.

Works for me. So does "Fleeing from Cthulhu," for that matter.

David DeLaney

Mar 17, 2010, 12:57:51 AM3/17/10
Remus Shepherd <re...@panix.com> wrote:
>Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
>> Remus Shepherd <re...@panix.com> wrote:
>> >but then I've never been to Oklahoma.
>> What do you think of the music?
>
> I don't think I've seen the entire play. The title song is all right.
>But off-topic, unless those were ray-guns those cowboys were wearing.

Even when they get to the furry with the syringe on top?

Dave "where the planes come sweeping down the wind" DeLaney

Greg Goss

Mar 17, 2010, 1:20:19 AM3/17/10
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:

>> Anim, forward. Spring Forward, Fall back. But it is good to know there
>> is a reason. :)
>
>Backward here. We don't do DST, but (some of) our atomic clocks aren't
>smart enough to know that, and jump an hour ahead, and we have to switch
>them from Mountain to Pacific, setting them back ...

There is a corner of BC that doesn't do Daylight time. Not REALLY.
It spends the winter on Mountain (Alberta) Standard time, then the
summer on Pacific (Daylight) daylight time.

Or at least that's how it was done in the eighties. I cannot find any
confirmation of this on the web, though there is inconsistent data.
Wikipedia puts it onto Alberta time MST and MDT.

http://localtimes.info/North_America/Canada/British_Columbia/Cranbrook/
agrees with how I remember it. It's 10:20.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=1096
disagrees -- It's 11:20.

http://www.timetemperature.com/tzca/current_time_in_british_columb.shtml
specifically puts it in PST and PDT.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php?CiID=3455&forma=
says 11:20 which matches my MDT.

Ken from Chicago

Mar 17, 2010, 6:16:19 AM3/17/10

<icarp...@aol.com> wrote in message

"Tire" is one syllable.

"Attire" is two syllables.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 17, 2010, 6:17:19 AM3/17/10

"Pete B" <xxxh@_xsomeething.com> wrote in message

Breathe. Inhale. Exhale.

-- Ken from Chicago

Jack Bohn

Mar 17, 2010, 6:20:47 AM3/17/10
Greg Goss wrote:

>There is a corner of BC that doesn't do Daylight time. Not REALLY.
>It spends the winter on Mountain (Alberta) Standard time, then the
>summer on Pacific (Daylight) daylight time.

The eastern part of Indiana does the same thing, I think. They
don't change their clocks, so they've just moved from being with
neighboring Ohio in Eastern (US) Standard Time to joining the
western part of Indiana in Central (US) Standard Time. Confusing
for those who commute here to Ohio for work.

--
-Jack

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Mar 17, 2010, 9:33:24 AM3/17/10

Far down in R'lyeh
Cthulhu awakens, screaming;
Gojira is fear.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Remus Shepherd

Mar 17, 2010, 9:41:06 AM3/17/10
In rec.arts.sf.written Ken from Chicago <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Pete B" <xxxh@_xsomeething.com> wrote in message
> > kwicker1...@comcast.net says...
> >> You're just excited by the prospect you don't know how to handle it.
> > Is that what it is... how do i make it stop?

> Breathe. Inhale. Exhale.

Breathe. Inhale. Exhale.
Do not let their hatred cease
your fiery breath.

(And yes, that's a three-syllable 'fiery'. My dictionary says so.)

icarp...@aol.com

Mar 17, 2010, 10:13:45 AM3/17/10
St Paddy's Godzilla haiku

Reptile air guitar
The leprechaun then observes
Godzilla sham-rock!

Matt

Kurt Busiek

Mar 17, 2010, 11:31:40 AM3/17/10
On 2010-03-17 06:33:24 -0700, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> said:

> Carl Henderson wrote:
>> Radioactive
>> Dragon from beneath the sea
>> Flees from Cthulhu
>
> Far down in R'lyeh
> Cthulhu awakens, screaming;
> Gojira is fear.

Now, R'lyeh is one I've always "heard" as three syllables
(Rill-AYE-eh), but I have no idea how Lovecraft intended it to be
pronounced.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Mar 17, 2010, 11:35:48 AM3/17/10
Kurt Busiek wrote:
> On 2010-03-17 06:33:24 -0700, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> said:
>
>> Carl Henderson wrote:
>>> Radioactive
>>> Dragon from beneath the sea
>>> Flees from Cthulhu
>>
>> Far down in R'lyeh
>> Cthulhu awakens, screaming;
>> Gojira is fear.
>
> Now, R'lyeh is one I've always "heard" as three syllables (Rill-AYE-eh),
> but I have no idea how Lovecraft intended it to be pronounced.

I've always pronounced it as written -- rr[catch in the breath]Lyeh,
which basically is two syllables.

Kurt Busiek

Mar 17, 2010, 11:46:17 AM3/17/10
On 2010-03-17 08:35:48 -0700, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> said:

> Kurt Busiek wrote:
>> On 2010-03-17 06:33:24 -0700, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
>> <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> said:

>>> Far down in R'lyeh
>>> Cthulhu awakens, screaming;
>>> Gojira is fear.
>>
>> Now, R'lyeh is one I've always "heard" as three syllables
>> (Rill-AYE-eh), but I have no idea how Lovecraft intended it to be
>> pronounced.
>
> I've always pronounced it as written -- rr[catch in the breath]Lyeh,
> which basically is two syllables.

I wouldn't call that "as written" any more than some other
pronunciations. Apostrophes generally indicate compression from a
longer form, not a catch in the breath, and without indication it's
impossible to know whether the Y is acting as a consonant or vowel.

So it could be something like "Rull-yeh" or "Really-eh" or "Rull-ayh"
or "Rill-aye-eh," and each time it'd be being pronounced as written.

I've just always heard it, when I've heard it, with the Y as a long I
sound, like in why or lye. But as noted, no clue as to what's "right."

It is loading more messages.