Need the techie perspective

Jacque

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
A friend of mine is a career counselor and is doing some research on
job-satisfaction in the technical fields. Her primary thrust is people
working in information technology, but she's curious to hear from
anybody who does related work, from software engineers to tech writers,
managers to worker-bees. I thought I'd post this query here, since a
lot of folks here work in these fields.

She says:

> They're offering ski weekends and daycare centers to keep IT people,
> but most corporations forget to ask what their information technology
> people really want.
>
> And, judging by the many IT people who call me for private sessions,
> the techies are having a bit of a problem figuring it out too. But for
> lots of them, something's missing. They sense there's no point in
> trying out a new company until they figure out what that is.
>
> Some patterns are beginning to emerge, however, and I'd love to talk
> to some IT people to fill out my ideas here. If you are or if you know
> such folk, please tell me your perspective. Perhaps we can help each
> other.
>
> Here are the questions I'm asking IT people:
>
> What are the best and worst parts of your daily work activities?
> What's missing?
>
> If money weren't an issue, what's the most interesting thing you can
> imagine doing with your time? (This doesn't have to be in your field
> at all.)"

Thoughts?

--jm
Jacque Marshall jac...@UNSPAM.netcom.com http://www.eskimo.com/~jacquem

Dave Weingart

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
One day in Teletubbyland, jac...@UNSPAM.netcom.com said:
>> They're offering ski weekends and daycare centers to keep IT people,
>> but most corporations forget to ask what their information technology
>> people really want.

Both of these actually sound good (although I'd rather snowboarding
than skiing). But they're gravy.

The tools to do the job w/o needing to justify every RAM upgrade
in triplicate, ongoing technical training to keep current, the chance
to actually WORK with newer tech, casual dress, flextime, no
micromanagement, less paperwork, understanding managment who actually
ASK programming how long something will take before they commit to
a schedule...the same thing that lots of other people want.

Oh, and lotsa babes in skimpy outfits. Leather pocket protectors...yeah
baby! That's it.
--
73 de Dave Weingart KA2ESK Want to help me raise funds for
mailto:phyd...@liii.com cancer research? Sponsor me in

Beth Friedman

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
Dave Weingart wrote in message <7q19j1$k2c$1...@cedar.liii.com>...

>One day in Teletubbyland, jac...@UNSPAM.netcom.com said:
>>> They're offering ski weekends and daycare centers to keep IT people,
>>> but most corporations forget to ask what their information technology
>>> people really want.
>
>Both of these actually sound good (although I'd rather snowboarding
>than skiing). But they're gravy.

True.

>The tools to do the job w/o needing to justify every RAM upgrade
>in triplicate, ongoing technical training to keep current, the chance
>to actually WORK with newer tech, casual dress, flextime, no
>micromanagement, less paperwork, understanding managment who actually
>ASK programming how long something will take before they commit to
>a schedule...the same thing that lots of other people want.

Those are all good, especially ongoing technical training and opportunities
to network.

Also feedback. Just having someone thank you every so often and tell you
you're doing a good job is worth a great deal to me in job satisfaction.

Money is good, too. Somehow, a boring job at $50/hr is considerably less
boring than the same job at $15/hr.

--
Beth Friedman
b...@wavefront.com

Jacque

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
I forwarded:

>[my friend] says:
>>
>> They're offering ski weekends and daycare centers to keep IT people,
>> but most corporations forget to ask what their information technology
>> people really want.

Actually, another point I'd be curious to hear people's experience on
is: have you ever worked for, or ever heard of, a company that gets
it right (for you). How did the situation work? How you happen into
that circumstance? How do you think the company accomplished getting
it right?

Beth Friedman

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
wrote:

>>Money is good, too. Somehow, a boring job at $50/hr is considerably less
>>boring than the same job at $15/hr.
>
>I suspect you're just rationalising just how boring it can be.

Of course I am. But that doesn't make it less real.

> I imagine Marc Andreessen transported to a sysiphean hell with an

Since you're using this as your sig file: it's "Sisyphean."

--
Beth Friedman
b...@wavefront.com

Patrick Connors

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
I think of myself as a creative person who happens to work in computer
code. I've left jobs mainly out of boredom. for the right job that
matches my interests, I'll take a pay cut (as long as the bills can
still be paid).

The most interesting parts of my day are when I'm creating something
that works well and will be USED by people.

Worst part: Routine work that I can't automate.

Missing: appreciation, work that meets my interests, time off (but I
must qualify the time off thing: I have a REALLY long commute - I
actually work very little overtime)

Jacque <jac...@UNSPAM.netcom.com> wrote:
: A friend of mine is a career counselor and is doing some research on

: job-satisfaction in the technical fields. Her primary thrust is people
: working in information technology, but she's curious to hear from
: anybody who does related work, from software engineers to tech writers,
: managers to worker-bees. I thought I'd post this query here, since a
: lot of folks here work in these fields.

: She says:
: >

: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
: Jacque Marshall jac...@UNSPAM.netcom.com http://www.eskimo.com/~jacquem

--
Patrick Connors
p...@primenet.com

Jason Stokes

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:27:58 -0500, Beth Friedman <b...@wavefront.com> wrote:

>Money is good, too. Somehow, a boring job at $50/hr is considerably less
>boring than the same job at $15/hr.

I suspect you're just rationalising just how boring it can be.

Stressful jobs are even worse. I hear horror stories of network
administrators on call 24 hours a day, and living at work with no life
outside the system.

--
Jason Stokes: js...@bluedog.apana.org.au

I imagine Marc Andreessen transported to a sysiphean hell with an

Internet-connected computer and told the key to his escape is hidden in one
of a million million web pages, everyone one of them crammed with
unnavigable frames, animated GIFs and blinking text. If he ever finds it,
he will discover the page requires a plug-in not available for his
operating system.

Steve Davies

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99

> A friend of mine is a career counselor and is doing some research on
> job-satisfaction in the technical fields. Her primary thrust is people
> working in information technology, but she's curious to hear from
> anybody who does related work, from software engineers to tech
writers,

> --jm

> Jacque Marshall jac...@UNSPAM.netcom.com

I suggest borrowing a copy of Rapid Development by Steve McConnell
(ISBN 1-55615-900-5) and reading the chapter on motivation along with
some of the references he cites.

For myself, things that motivate me are technically interesting
problems, intelligent co-workers who like to discuss the interesting
problems, lack of hassle (paperwork, complex expenses rules, noisy
offices, poor-quality PCs etc.), some respect (trips to conferences,
company laptop, generally not being treated like scum) and cool toys.

Steve Davies

Plokta News Network -- www.plokta.com/pnn

Nancy Lebovitz

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
In article <7q19j1$k2c$1...@cedar.liii.com>,

Dave Weingart <phyd...@liii.com> wrote:
>One day in Teletubbyland, jac...@UNSPAM.netcom.com said:
>>> They're offering ski weekends and daycare centers to keep IT people,
>>> but most corporations forget to ask what their information technology
>>> people really want.
>
>Both of these actually sound good (although I'd rather snowboarding
>than skiing). But they're gravy.
>
>The tools to do the job w/o needing to justify every RAM upgrade
>in triplicate, ongoing technical training to keep current, the chance
>to actually WORK with newer tech, casual dress, flextime, no
>micromanagement, less paperwork, understanding managment who actually
>ASK programming how long something will take before they commit to
>a schedule...the same thing that lots of other people want.

That's what I expected. I remember a programmer going on delightedly
about a job where he could just order the $100's of dollars worth
of books/manuals he wanted without having to justify it to anyone,
and another geek obsessing about a job where the boss wanted to
get some complicated expensive system when all the place needed
was two more phone lines.

I don't think there's a really good vocabulary for pleasures and
frustrations that result from wanting to do things really well.

--
Nancy Lebovitz na...@netaxs.com

Calligraphic button catalogue available by email!

Betsy Perry

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
In article <7q13rf$q...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,

Jacque <jac...@UNSPAM.netcom.com> wrote:
>> And, judging by the many IT people who call me for private sessions,
>> the techies are having a bit of a problem figuring it out too. But for
>> lots of them, something's missing. They sense there's no point in
>> trying out a new company until they figure out what that is.
>>
>> Some patterns are beginning to emerge, however, and I'd love to talk
>> to some IT people to fill out my ideas here. If you are or if you know
>> such folk, please tell me your perspective. Perhaps we can help each
>> other.
>>
>> Here are the questions I'm asking IT people:

I'm a tech writer, and NO, this is not my work address, for obvious
reasons.

>> What are the best and worst parts of your daily work activities?
>> What's missing?

The best part: The intellectual challenge
The worst part: The ongoing distrust for corporate project decisions
(what gets funded, what doesn't, and the time it takes to decide to do
either)

What's missing: A belief that the work I'm doing matters, that
customers will be benefitting from the documents I produce, and that
the products are great products with a solid commercial future.

>> If money weren't an issue, what's the most interesting thing you can
>> imagine doing with your time? (This doesn't have to be in your field
>> at all.)"

I'd be documenting products that I cared about, that shipped, and that
customers were pleased to have bought. And I'd be spending some time
as a reading tutor in the local schools.

--
Elizabeth Hanes Perry bet...@vnet.net

Zandy Hemsley

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
In article <7q20jg$kt6$1...@nnrp03.primenet.com>, Patrick Connors
<pmcSP...@primenet.com> writes

>Worst part: Routine work that I can't automate.

That speaks to my condition.
--
Zandy Hemsley
`How will it end?' - The Truman Show

John Dallman

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
In article <7q19j1$k2c$1...@cedar.liii.com>, phyd...@liii.com (Dave
Weingart) wrote:

> The tools to do the job w/o needing to justify every RAM upgrade
> in triplicate

Got that. Now, if only the purchasing system would actually produce
them...

> ongoing technical training to keep current, the chance
> to actually WORK with newer tech,

Well, more the chance to invent it.

> casual dress, flextime,

Naturally.

> no micromanagement

Very little of it.

> less paperwork

Err, no paperwork appart from stock options and performance reviews.

> understanding managment who actually ASK programming how long
> something will take before they commit to a schedule...the
> same thing that lots of other people want.

I have that, although some other people don't.

> Oh, and lotsa babes in skimpy outfits.

Well, we have some. Mostly with doctorates.

> Leather pocket protectors

Now, this is the bit that puzzles me. Why do people want pocket
protectors? Not carrying pens, except in your Time Manager, and/or putting
things into the palmtop, seem like much better ways of avoiding clothing
stains.

And the problem is I still have lots of stress. Take note, people, some of
those obstacles to work are helping keep you sane.

---
John Dallman j...@cix.co.uk

Doug Wickstrom

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:07 +0000 (GMT), j...@cix.co.uk (John
Dallman) excited the ether to say:

>Now, this is the bit that puzzles me. Why do people want pocket
>protectors? Not carrying pens, except in your Time Manager, and/or putting
>things into the palmtop, seem like much better ways of avoiding clothing
>stains.

A pocket protector is more than just an ink barrier, he says,
looking down at a pen, a screwdriver, a tuning wand, and a
flashlight. It's a way to stay organized. I wish I had one.

--
Doug Wickstrom
"People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions

John Dallman

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
In article <37e43c97...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>, nims...@aol.com
(Doug Wickstrom) wrote:

> A pocket protector is more than just an ink barrier, he says,
> looking down at a pen, a screwdriver, a tuning wand, and a
> flashlight. It's a way to stay organized. I wish I had one.

Ah! I keep the swiss army knife and the mini-maglite on my keyring, and
the screwdrivers, multi-tool, etc, in my cycle pannier.

---
John Dallman j...@cix.co.uk

Doug Wickstrom

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:43 +0000 (GMT), j...@cix.co.uk (John

Dallman) excited the ether to say:

>In article <37e43c97...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>, nims...@aol.com

A swiss army knife doesn't have blades small enough. And if your
tools are in your cycle pannier, what good are they under the
floor in the computer room, or on top of a ladder?

--
Doug Wickstrom
"Whenever I watch TV amd see those poor starving kids all over the world,

Ulrika O'Brien

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
John Dallman, <j...@cix.co.uk>, was kind enough to say:

> In article <37e43c97...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>, nims...@aol.com
> (Doug Wickstrom) wrote:
>
> > A pocket protector is more than just an ink barrier, he says,
> > looking down at a pen, a screwdriver, a tuning wand, and a
> > flashlight. It's a way to stay organized. I wish I had one.
>
> Ah! I keep the swiss army knife and the mini-maglite on my keyring, and
> the screwdrivers, multi-tool, etc, in my cycle pannier.

As good a proof as any that you don't drive. When I tried keeping a
micro-mini mag on my key ring, it just kept banging me in the knee
whenever I had to shift from accelerator to brake. Anything long,
pendant, and heavy is likely to be a nuisance on my key ring.

Pocketknife goes in my pocket, and either in my purse or my cleavage
when I have no pockets. Mini mag goes in the purse.

--Ulrika

John Dallman

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
In article <37cc3170...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>, nims...@aol.com
(Doug Wickstrom) wrote:

> A swiss army knife doesn't have blades small enough.

It's in the way you use 'em. The previous job got me a toolbox after
discovering that they'd sent me out to install several thousand pounds
worth of RAM upgrades without telling me that was what I was to do. So I
did them with the swiss army knife, without upsetting the customer - who
was almost as ignorant as the management.

> And if your tools are in your cycle pannier, what good are they
> under the floor in the computer room, or on top of a ladder?

This sort of pannier unclips and gets carried into the office. I use it as
a handbag.

---
John Dallman j...@cix.co.uk

John Dallman

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
In article <MPG.1231d427a...@news.earthlink.net>,
uaob...@earthlink.net (Ulrika O'Brien) wrote:

> As good a proof as any that you don't drive.

Correct, your grace.

> When I tried keeping a micro-mini mag on my key ring, it just kept
> banging me in the knee whenever I had to shift from accelerator to
> brake.

<Looks baffled for several seconds>

Ah! Oh, yes, the keys have to be in the car's ignition, don't they?

> Pocketknife goes in my pocket, and either in my purse or my cleavage
> when I have no pockets. Mini mag goes in the purse.

The mini mag is probably better off there: the finish doesn't half take a
beating when it spends its time amongst keys.

Hmmm. This is turning into an alt.sysadmin.recovery thread. To swing it
back to rassf, may I propose a who-keeps-most-stuff-in-her-cleavage
competition? Claire Brialey is currently in the lead with a bottle of
Laphroaig, according to unreliable sources.

---
John Dallman j...@cix.co.uk

David G. Bell

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
In article <memo.1999082...@jgd.compulink.co.uk>
j...@cix.co.uk "John Dallman" writes:

> In article <37cc3170...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>, nims...@aol.com
> (Doug Wickstrom) wrote:
>
> > A swiss army knife doesn't have blades small enough.
>
> It's in the way you use 'em. The previous job got me a toolbox after
> discovering that they'd sent me out to install several thousand pounds
> worth of RAM upgrades without telling me that was what I was to do. So I
> did them with the swiss army knife, without upsetting the customer - who
> was almost as ignorant as the management.

You can assemble a PC-Clone with a Swiss Army Knife. It just gets
awkward when PC assembly operations get delusions of grandeur and start
using Torx-head screws.

--
David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, and Punslinger.

Mike Scott

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:11:11 -0700, uaob...@earthlink.net (Ulrika
O'Brien) wrote:

>As good a proof as any that you don't drive. When I tried keeping a

>micro-mini mag on my key ring, it just kept banging me in the knee

>whenever I had to shift from accelerator to brake. Anything long,
>pendant, and heavy is likely to be a nuisance on my key ring.

Not sufficient proof. I keep both a Maglite Solitaire and a Leatherman
Micra on my key-ring. They knock against my right knee occasionally
while I'm driving, but it doesn't bother me.

--
Mike Scott
mi...@plokta.com

Erik V. Olson

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:43 +0000 (GMT), j...@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
wrote:

>Ah! I keep the swiss army knife and the mini-maglite on my keyring, and
>the screwdrivers, multi-tool, etc, in my cycle pannier.

Got the SA knife on the keychain as well. The mini-mag is in a combo
holster with the leatherman..
--
Erik Olson, SFOF. er...@NOSPAMmo.net : Eric Conspiracy Secret Labs
Ceci N'est pas une sig : There *was* no cabal

Rachael Lininger

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
John Dallman <j...@cix.co.uk> wrote:

>> And if your tools are in your cycle pannier, what good are they
>> under the floor in the computer room, or on top of a ladder?
>
>This sort of pannier unclips and gets carried into the office. I use it as
>a handbag.

Is it red?

Rachael

--
Rachael Lininger | "A sentence without syntax
lininger@ | is like an egg without salt."

Robert Sneddon

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
In article <935873...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, David G. Bell
<db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk> writes

>You can assemble a PC-Clone with a Swiss Army Knife.

I use my Swiss-Army chain^H^H^H^H^Hcrescent wrench (found it in a tool
catalogue - scissors, cross-head and slot screwdriver, knifeblade and
20mm adjustable spanner. Had to have it).

> It just gets
>awkward when PC assembly operations get delusions of grandeur and start
>using Torx-head screws.

After the third time I found somebody had been messing with a machine I
was supposed to be responsible for (he wanted to fit a sound card to
play audio CDs on the CD-ROM drive), I replaced the case screws with
security Torx bolts. Hehehe.

--
To reply by email, send to nojay (at) public (period) antipope (dot) org

Robert Sneddon

John Dallman

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
In article <7q9up1$sb1$1...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu>,
lini...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu (Rachael Lininger) wrote:
> In article <memo.1999082...@jgd.compulink.co.uk>,
> John Dallman <j...@cix.co.uk> wrote:

> >This sort of pannier unclips and gets carried into the office. I use
> >it as a handbag.
>
> Is it red?

Black. You can't go far wrong with black.

---
John Dallman j...@cix.co.uk

Marilee J. Layman

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
In <memo.1999082...@jgd.compulink.co.uk>, j...@cix.co.uk (John
Dallman) wrote:

>Hmmm. This is turning into an alt.sysadmin.recovery thread. To swing it
>back to rassf, may I propose a who-keeps-most-stuff-in-her-cleavage
>competition? Claire Brialey is currently in the lead with a bottle of
>Laphroaig, according to unreliable sources.

It isn't in the same category, but I frequently end up with several
grams of small beads in my cleavage when I'm clumsy.

--
Marilee J. Layman Co-Leader, The Other*Worlds*Cafe
relm...@aol.com A Science Fiction Discussion Group

Sue Mason

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:18:18 GMT, mjla...@erols.com (Marilee J.
Layman) wrote:

>In <memo.1999082...@jgd.compulink.co.uk>, j...@cix.co.uk (John
>Dallman) wrote:
>
>>Hmmm. This is turning into an alt.sysadmin.recovery thread. To swing it
>>back to rassf, may I propose a who-keeps-most-stuff-in-her-cleavage
>>competition? Claire Brialey is currently in the lead with a bottle of
>>Laphroaig, according to unreliable sources.
>
>It isn't in the same category, but I frequently end up with several
>grams of small beads in my cleavage when I'm clumsy.

Hell, I've lost entire spelunking teams down my cleavage...

I have a photo of a large can of beer in there, bloody cold.
I hate cold beer and I think I was warming it up. But this was at an
Eastercon party so heavens alone know why, it seemed like a good idea
at the time.
--
Sue Mason
s...@arctic-fox.freeserve.co.uk

Ailsa N.T. Murphy

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
John Dallman wrote:

> Hmmm. This is turning into an alt.sysadmin.recovery thread. To swing it
> back to rassf, may I propose a who-keeps-most-stuff-in-her-cleavage
> competition? Claire Brialey is currently in the lead with a bottle of
> Laphroaig, according to unreliable sources.

I've stashed my entire keychain (keys, nail clippers, SA knife, folding
scissors, coin purse) in there at times, as well as the random business
card, paper money, odd bits of change, etc. It's annoying that people
find this sort of thing sexy (yes, I _do_ have the good sense to add &
remove things from there only in private), as it is a handy place to
carry things if you don't have pockets.

-Ailsa
--
One knows his subjects cold but can't heat up Ailsa N.T. Murphy
an audience. The other promises the global an...@world.std.com

Rachael Lininger

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
In article <37CA92...@world.std.com>,

Ailsa N.T. Murphy <an...@world.std.com> wrote:
>John Dallman wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. This is turning into an alt.sysadmin.recovery thread. To swing it
>> back to rassf, may I propose a who-keeps-most-stuff-in-her-cleavage
>> competition? Claire Brialey is currently in the lead with a bottle of
>> Laphroaig, according to unreliable sources.
>>
>I've stashed my entire keychain (keys, nail clippers, SA knife, folding
>scissors, coin purse) in there at times, as well as the random business
>card, paper money, odd bits of change, etc. It's annoying that people
>find this sort of thing sexy (yes, I _do_ have the good sense to add &
>remove things from there only in private), as it is a handy place to
>carry things if you don't have pockets.

Due to Morgan's suggestion of stuffing the cat down my bathrobe, I've had
a kitten in my cleavage for most of the weekend. :)

Ailsa N.T. Murphy

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
Rachael Lininger wrote:

> Due to Morgan's suggestion of stuffing the cat down my bathrobe, I've had
> a kitten in my cleavage for most of the weekend. :)

Little kitten claws, eeek!

Doug Wickstrom

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
On 30 Aug 1999 12:53:15 -0500, lini...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu
(Rachael Lininger) excited the ether to say:

>In article <37CA92...@world.std.com>,
>Ailsa N.T. Murphy <an...@world.std.com> wrote:
>>John Dallman wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmm. This is turning into an alt.sysadmin.recovery thread. To swing it
>>> back to rassf, may I propose a who-keeps-most-stuff-in-her-cleavage
>>> competition? Claire Brialey is currently in the lead with a bottle of
>>> Laphroaig, according to unreliable sources.
>>>
>>I've stashed my entire keychain (keys, nail clippers, SA knife, folding
>>scissors, coin purse) in there at times, as well as the random business
>>card, paper money, odd bits of change, etc. It's annoying that people
>>find this sort of thing sexy (yes, I _do_ have the good sense to add &
>>remove things from there only in private), as it is a handy place to
>>carry things if you don't have pockets.
>

>Due to Morgan's suggestion of stuffing the cat down my bathrobe, I've had
>a kitten in my cleavage for most of the weekend. :)

Lucky kitten.

Rachael Lininger

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
In article <37CADB...@world.std.com>,

Ailsa N.T. Murphy <an...@world.std.com> wrote:
>Rachael Lininger wrote:
>
>> Due to Morgan's suggestion of stuffing the cat down my bathrobe, I've had
>> a kitten in my cleavage for most of the weekend. :)
>>
>Little kitten claws, eeek!

That's not a problem, yet, and I intend to keep them trimed so it remains
not a problem.

Morgan

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99

an...@world.std.com "Ailsa N.T. Murphy" writes:

> John Dallman wrote:
>
> > Hmmm. This is turning into an alt.sysadmin.recovery thread. To swing it
> > back to rassf, may I propose a who-keeps-most-stuff-in-her-cleavage
> > competition? Claire Brialey is currently in the lead with a bottle of
> > Laphroaig, according to unreliable sources.
> >
> I've stashed my entire keychain (keys, nail clippers, SA knife, folding
> scissors, coin purse) in there at times, as well as the random business
> card, paper money, odd bits of change, etc. It's annoying that people
> find this sort of thing sexy (yes, I _do_ have the good sense to add &
> remove things from there only in private), as it is a handy place to
> carry things if you don't have pockets.

I too use it as a handy purse. Car keys, credit cards, receipts,
vibrating eggs... no, wait, I didn't want to admit to that. Okay, so
in moving between one house and another, I realised I'd left my vibrating
egg in the wrong house. Nipped in to get it, realised I didn't
have a purse on me, where to put it so it wasn't visible when moving
into and out of the car? Seemed the obvious choice.

Not one of those moments in which to have a car accident however.

Of course, the secret to real cleavage is that no one can tell you
have a bunch of keys in it....

--
Morgan

"Nunc demum intellego," dixit Winnie ille Pu. "Stultus et
delusus fui," dixit "et ursus sine ullo cerebro sum."

Mary Kay Kare

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
In article <memo.1999082...@jgd.compulink.co.uk>, j...@cix.co.uk wrote:

> In article <MPG.1231d427a...@news.earthlink.net>,

> uaob...@earthlink.net (Ulrika O'Brien) wrote:
>

> > Pocketknife goes in my pocket, and either in my purse or my cleavage
> > when I have no pockets. Mini mag goes in the purse.
>
> The mini mag is probably better off there: the finish doesn't half take a
> beating when it spends its time amongst keys.
>

> Hmmm. This is turning into an alt.sysadmin.recovery thread. To swing it
> back to rassf, may I propose a who-keeps-most-stuff-in-her-cleavage
> competition? Claire Brialey is currently in the lead with a bottle of
> Laphroaig, according to unreliable sources.

Saturday night at NASFIC, Amy Thomson informed me she had money, her room
key, a pen, business cards, and a couple of 3x5 cards for taking notes,
all stuffed into her cleavage. Amy has really impressive cleavage.

MK

--
Mary Kay Kare

Science Fiction Fandom: where people contradict you just to be polite.

Graydon

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
Rachael Lininger <lini...@chem.wisc.edu> scripsit:

> In article <37CADB...@world.std.com>,
> Ailsa N.T. Murphy <an...@world.std.com> wrote:
> >Rachael Lininger wrote:
> >> Due to Morgan's suggestion of stuffing the cat down my bathrobe, I've had
> >> a kitten in my cleavage for most of the weekend. :)
> >>
> >Little kitten claws, eeek!
>
> That's not a problem, yet, and I intend to keep them trimed so it remains
> not a problem.

If you can convice Chinook to let you _buff_ the cut claws with
something -- tungsten carbide file, fine (really fine) emery paper,
600 grit wet/dry, something -- that might work more reliably in the
long run, but I've only ever known one cat that would put up with the
process and they liked to be vaccuumed, too.
--
graydon@ |The Human Dress is forged Iron, The Human Form a fiery Forge,
lara. |The Human Face a Furnace seal'd, The Human Heart its

Mary Kay Kare

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99

> Rachael Lininger wrote:
>
> > Due to Morgan's suggestion of stuffing the cat down my bathrobe, I've had
> > a kitten in my cleavage for most of the weekend. :)
> >
> Little kitten claws, eeek!

Big cat claws are worse.

MK--who's had a really nasty scratch/ugly red scar spoiling *her* cleave
for some weeks now.

Mary Kay Kare

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
In article <7qf68e$n...@dfw-ixnews10.ix.netcom.com>, Ed Dravecky III
<dshe...@netcom17.netcom.com> wrote:

> Rachael Lininger (lini...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu) wrote:
> > Due to Morgan's suggestion of stuffing the cat down my bathrobe,
> > I've had a kitten in my cleavage for most of the weekend. :)
>

> Meow!
>
> (Sorry, I was trying to think of something clever to say here but the
> phrase "a kitten in my cleavage" is preventing rational or productive
> thought at the moment. I actually snarfed my Diet Dr Pepper.)

Your Meow May Vary?

MK

Ed Dravecky III

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
Rachael Lininger (lini...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu) wrote:
> Due to Morgan's suggestion of stuffing the cat down my bathrobe,
> I've had a kitten in my cleavage for most of the weekend. :)

Meow!

(Sorry, I was trying to think of something clever to say here but the
phrase "a kitten in my cleavage" is preventing rational or productive
thought at the moment. I actually snarfed my Diet Dr Pepper.)

--
Ed Dravecky III
dshe...@netcom.com

Ulrika O'Brien

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
John Dallman, <j...@cix.co.uk>, was kind enough to say:

> Hmmm. This is turning into an alt.sysadmin.recovery thread. To swing it

> back to rassf, may I propose a who-keeps-most-stuff-in-her-cleavage
> competition? Claire Brialey is currently in the lead with a bottle of
> Laphroaig, according to unreliable sources.

I generally use the bra/cleavage stowage system for purely pragmatic
reasons--like when I'm going to be bopping around between dance and
parties at a convention and am dressed up a bit and don't want to risk
absentmindedly losing a purse or jacket-- so nothing as flamboyant as a
bottle of whiskey. Certainly not a bottle of burnt-bog flavored lighter
fluid. Usually it's no more than minimal keys, or hotel room-key, most
likely, (card keys are lovely 'cause they tuck nicely flat against the
left pectorals for quick retrieval) pocket knife if I'm likely to need
it, Photo-ID if ditto, also across the pects rather than in the cleavage
proper, some folding money (and hope I don't get change in coins --
anything with copper leaves green marks, and I've been known to wake up
the next morning with the odd penny adhering somewhere)and maybe a
lipstick or so. (Lipsticks get a bit gooey after any length of time,
though, so I have to *really* not want a purse or jacket encumbering me.)
In less practical moments perhaps a rose, the lower loop of a long
necklace, or a faint swath of body glitter.

I feel certain I've had more exotic passages in my day, but nothing comes
to mind at the moment. Sad when you're not bothering to cover up your
disreputable past largely because you can't remember it...

James Nicoll

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
In article <kare-30089...@ppp-asok08--161.sirius.net>,

Mary Kay Kare <ka...@sirius.com> wrote:
>In article <37CADB...@world.std.com>, an...@world.std.com wrote:
>
>> Rachael Lininger wrote:
>>
>> > Due to Morgan's suggestion of stuffing the cat down my bathrobe, I've had
>> > a kitten in my cleavage for most of the weekend. :)
>> >
>> Little kitten claws, eeek!
>>
>Big cat claws are worse.
>
>MK--who's had a really nasty scratch/ugly red scar spoiling *her* cleave
>for some weeks now.

I don't know: the worst mauling I ever got from a cat was when
I was handed a feral kitten who suddenly decided he must be my intended
lunch. He started shrieking and flailing out with all 18 razor sharp
claws and of course I couldn't drop him since he'd have run away.

I named him Jack the Ripper but still found him a home.

Pity he reacted like that: my standard method of dealing
with feral kittens is to place them next to my chest where terror
and claws makes them adhere to me like little furry brooches.
James Nicoll
--
"You know, it's getting more and more like _Blade Runner_ down
here."

A customer commenting on downtown Kitchener

Rachael Lininger

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
In article <7qfgpb$lmf$1...@angantyr.lara.on.ca>,
Graydon <gra...@lara.on.ca> wrote:

>If you can convice Chinook to let you _buff_ the cut claws with
>something -- tungsten carbide file, fine (really fine) emery paper,
>600 grit wet/dry, something -- that might work more reliably in the
>long run, but I've only ever known one cat that would put up with the
>process and they liked to be vaccuumed, too.

_You_ can do that.

Marilee J. Layman

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
In <7qgq9g$r1b$1...@watserv3.uwaterloo.ca>, jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca
(James Nicoll) wrote:

> I don't know: the worst mauling I ever got from a cat was when
>I was handed a feral kitten who suddenly decided he must be my intended
>lunch. He started shrieking and flailing out with all 18 razor sharp
>claws and of course I couldn't drop him since he'd have run away.

Whenever Spirit is being overwhelmingly loving, I remind her that she
tried to kill me when she first met me. I only trim front claws, and
the kitties will put up with it, although it's not their favorite
activities.

Bob Webber

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
: John Dallman wrote:

: > Hmmm. This is turning into an alt.sysadmin.recovery thread. To swing it

: > back to rassf, may I propose a who-keeps-most-stuff-in-her-cleavage
: > competition? Claire Brialey is currently in the lead with a bottle of
: > Laphroaig, according to unreliable sources.
: >

: I've stashed my entire keychain (keys, nail clippers, SA knife, folding

: scissors, coin purse) in there at times, as well as the random business
: card, paper money, odd bits of change, etc. It's annoying that people
: find this sort of thing sexy (yes, I _do_ have the good sense to add &
: remove things from there only in private), as it is a handy place to
: carry things if you don't have pockets.

Seems like a cleavage could be a good place to stow a Palm Pilot,
unless like me you still think that "Palm Pilot" is just a
euphemism for "masturbator". In which case, best to avoid
the possibility of confusion.

--
You know, I could write a book.
And this book would be thick enough to stun an ox.

Mitch Wagner

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
In article <936047...@dreyfuss.demon.co.uk>, Morgan wrote:
>In article <37CA92...@world.std.com>
> an...@world.std.com "Ailsa N.T. Murphy" writes:
>
>> John Dallman wrote:
>>
>> > Hmmm. This is turning into an alt.sysadmin.recovery thread. To swing it
>> > back to rassf, may I propose a who-keeps-most-stuff-in-her-cleavage
>> > competition? Claire Brialey is currently in the lead with a bottle of
>> > Laphroaig, according to unreliable sources.
>> >
>> I've stashed my entire keychain (keys, nail clippers, SA knife, folding
>> scissors, coin purse) in there at times, as well as the random business
>> card, paper money, odd bits of change, etc. It's annoying that people
>> find this sort of thing sexy (yes, I _do_ have the good sense to add &
>> remove things from there only in private), as it is a handy place to
>> carry things if you don't have pockets.
>
>I too use it as a handy purse.

I didn't realize that Nature was quite so equal-opportunity. Yeah, guys
can write their names in the snow, but women
have this natural, extra pocket that's ALWAYS WITH THEM for carrying
stuff. Some women, at least.

--
mitch w. thri...@sff.net

Graydon

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
Rachael Lininger <lini...@chem.wisc.edu> scripsit:

> In article <7qfgpb$lmf$1...@angantyr.lara.on.ca>,
> Graydon <gra...@lara.on.ca> wrote:
> >If you can convice Chinook to let you _buff_ the cut claws with
> >something -- tungsten carbide file, fine (really fine) emery paper,
> >600 grit wet/dry, something -- that might work more reliably in the
> >long run, but I've only ever known one cat that would put up with the
> >process and they liked to be vaccuumed, too.
>
> _You_ can do that.

Well, no.

I might even be sensible enough not to try.

Berni Phillips

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
John Dallman j...@cix.co.uk wrote:

> Hmmm. This is turning into an alt.sysadmin.recovery thread. To swing it
> back to rassf, may I propose a who-keeps-most-stuff-in-her-cleavage
> competition? Claire Brialey is currently in the lead with a bottle of
> Laphroaig, according to unreliable sources.

For maximum silly during the (Christmas) holiday season, I used to wear
a string of battery-operated Xmas tree lights in my hair. The battery
pack, which consists of a couple of D-cell batteries, was hidden in my
cleavage.

Berni Phillips

Arthur Hlavaty

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Mary Kay Kare <ka...@sirius.com> wrote:

: Saturday night at NASFIC, Amy Thomson informed me she had money, her room

: key, a pen, business cards, and a couple of 3x5 cards for taking notes,
: all stuffed into her cleavage. Amy has really impressive cleavage.

I don't think I've ever done womb envy, but I could get into cleavage
envy, for its sheer practicality.

--
Arthur D. Hlavaty hla...@panix.com
Church of the SuperGenius In Wile E. We Trust

Bob Webber

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Arthur Hlavaty (hla...@panix.com) wrote:

: Mary Kay Kare <ka...@sirius.com> wrote:

: : Saturday night at NASFIC, Amy Thomson informed me she had money, her room
: : key, a pen, business cards, and a couple of 3x5 cards for taking notes,
: : all stuffed into her cleavage. Amy has really impressive cleavage.

: I don't think I've ever done womb envy, but I could get into cleavage
: envy, for its sheer practicality.

Cleavage envy is at least curable, given that you're willing to put
sufficient money into surgery and undergarments.

Rob Hansen

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:58:11 GMT, web...@world.std.com (Bob Webber)
wrote:

>unless like me you still think that "Palm Pilot" is just a
>euphemism for "masturbator". In which case, best to avoid
>the possibility of confusion.

When Moshe was over here a while back, he said "You and Patrick are
really into your Palms." "Uhh, you sure you don't wanna rephrase
that, Moshe?" I replied.

I was going to finish this 'Best damn straight man I've ever had', but
then I realized........
--

Rob Hansen
My Home Page: http://www.fiawol.demon.co.uk/rob/

Ray Radlein

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Rachael Lininger wrote:

> Ailsa N.T. Murphy <an...@world.std.com> wrote:
> >Rachael Lininger wrote:
> >
> >> Due to Morgan's suggestion of stuffing the cat down my bathrobe,
> >> I've had a kitten in my cleavage for most of the weekend. :)
> >>
> >Little kitten claws, eeek!
>
> That's not a problem, yet, and I intend to keep them trimed so it
> remains not a problem.

Trimming your breasts seems to me to be a bit of an overreaction to the
problem of cats in your cleavage.

- Ray R.

"I keep trying to atone for my past misdeeds, but every virtuous act
only serves to redeem *half* of my remaining karmic burden."
- Zeno, Warrior Princess

Ray Radlein - r...@learnlink.emory.edu
homepage coming soon! wooo, wooo.

Morgan

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
In article <37CCCF...@learnlink.emory.edu>
rayra...@earthlink.net "Ray Radlein" writes:

> Rachael Lininger wrote:
> >
> > Ailsa N.T. Murphy <an...@world.std.com> wrote:

> > >Little kitten claws, eeek!
> >
> > That's not a problem, yet, and I intend to keep them trimed so it
> > remains not a problem.
>
> Trimming your breasts seems to me to be a bit of an overreaction to the
> problem of cats in your cleavage.

What about the problem of kittens licking the back of your neck, when
the back of you neck is, ahem... your most ... sensitive... area?

I currently have one draped over the back of my neck, licking.

She is named Delilah, and is a delight. By fortuitus misfortune, we're
housesitting two five months kittens (Samson and Delilah, and an older
cat, Finley.) Delilah is a delight: energetic, playful, high jumping
and fearless. She almost took on the Dyson yesterday. Samson is playful,
thoughful and wise beyond his months. Delilah jumps straight up in three
feet high leaps, to catch things.

If she doesn't stop doing that licking thing to the back of my neck, there
could be an accident.

Samson, however, woke me up at 7am this morning, in a way so far unique
in the Morgan annals of cathood. I have a large mole on the far side of
my right breast, where the breast and underarm, meet. Samson, obviously
though I was in danger from the insect that was obviously crawling on me,
and tried to bite it off. I woke up _fast_.

Wonder when the Witchfinder General arrives?

Laura Haywood

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Morgan <mor...@dreyfuss.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> in the Morgan annals of cathood. I have a large mole on the far side of
> my right breast, where the breast and underarm, meet.

You don't happen to have any long-lost cousins in NC, do you? Seriously,
I have a mole in almost the exact same place.

When I go swimming at the local lake, it's common for some of the small
fish to come nibble at my other moles and freckles (on arms, legs and
back), obviously mistaking them for bits of food. The first time it
happened I nearly jumped out of the water.

Laura
--
Laura Haywood | Trinoc-coN: the Triangle's
Research Triangle SF Society | speculative fiction conference

Morgan

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
In article <7qj796$rbg$1...@fddinewz.oit.unc.edu>
lgha...@login6.isis.unc.edu "Laura Haywood" writes:

> Morgan <mor...@dreyfuss.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > in the Morgan annals of cathood. I have a large mole on the far side of
> > my right breast, where the breast and underarm, meet.
>
> You don't happen to have any long-lost cousins in NC, do you? Seriously,
> I have a mole in almost the exact same place.

Biazzaro. Just about all the women in my family have it! My mothers
was in almost the exact spot as mine, but smaller. My grandmothers was
over a bit, same size. All my maternal aunts have it, and many of their
daughters, although I've not seen all the younger issue. <Excuse me
ma'am, just the Morgan Mole Breast Check Survey, lift up your bra.>

As I'm from immigrant stock myself I would not doubt I have cousins
_everywhere_. I just don't know about them. The female line to
the mole by my right breast, disappears back up the line (in my
knowledge) with one Harriet Steadman from Warrington in Cheshire. Of
the Warrington Steadmans (yes, I know, but they are, apparently, a
historical middle class family). I know nothing of them. Apart from
the fact that Harriet Steadman married John William Morgan, from
Wales. Akshully, I'm only guessing Harriet Steadman had it, as Harriet
Morgan, her daughter did. I suppose it's _unlikely_ Harriet Morgan
got it from her father, and it became a female thing, but it is
_possible_.)

So, if you have relatives once called Morgan, or Steadman, we may be
on to something.

Harriet Steadman is my only English antecedant. (and, I think, my only
middle class one. Although John WiIliam Morgan may have been too, but
as he married his wife and emmigrated to Scotland to open a fish and
chip shop, I doubt it. Rich yes, middle class - don't think so!)
She looks out at me from the photos, with my eyes and my cheekbones.
The rest of the family try very hard to 'forget' that there is one,
single, solitary English ancestor in the known family tree. Scots are
really nasty about the English. They were also Protestant, so that's
not talked about either. I suspect they were Anglican, now I know a
little about English/Welsh relations. Strike that. _She_ might have
been Anglican, but he was 'Chapel'. It was _years_ before I realised
that the use of Church/Chapel denoted differences in religious practices.
My Gran Who Was My Mum, used the phrases interchangebly. As she was
a convert to Catholocism, and born and raised in Scotland, I think it
would be a fair assumtion that she learnt the phrase 'Chapel' from
her father.

Harriet Steadman Morgan died of child bed fever, after delivering her
13th child. The child died too. Her husband followed a year later, from
a broken heart. Thus began the next chapter of my families unstoppable
melodrama. She was my great grandmother. I carry her name.

> When I go swimming at the local lake, it's common for some of the small
> fish to come nibble at my other moles and freckles (on arms, legs and
> back), obviously mistaking them for bits of food. The first time it
> happened I nearly jumped out of the water.

Well jump is what I did, when Samson fastened his tiny little kitten
teeth onto mine and pulled. Which is what made it hurt so much, of
course.

James Nicoll

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
In article <936172...@dreyfuss.demon.co.uk>,

Morgan <mor...@dreyfuss.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Samson, however, woke me up at 7am this morning, in a way so far unique
>in the Morgan annals of cathood. I have a large mole on the far side of
>my right breast, where the breast and underarm, meet. Samson, obviously
>though I was in danger from the insect that was obviously crawling on me,
>and tried to bite it off. I woke up _fast_.

Nimrod used to bite at my shirt buttons, apparently thinking
that they were fur snarls. She made the mistake one day of deciding
to trim the zipper off my trousers. Being bitten in the crotch by
a needle toothed kitten is extremely painful. I've hear fo worse,
though: soemone on one of the other newsgroups mentioned that while
they and their spouse were making love, their cat came in, decided
the two bouncing round objects were a cat toy and sank eight claws
into them.

Sue Mason

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:13:33 -0400, Marilee J. Layman
<mjla...@erols.com> wrote:

>In <7qgq9g$r1b$1...@watserv3.uwaterloo.ca>, jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca
>(James Nicoll) wrote:
>
>> I don't know: the worst mauling I ever got from a cat was when
>>I was handed a feral kitten who suddenly decided he must be my intended
>>lunch. He started shrieking and flailing out with all 18 razor sharp
>>claws and of course I couldn't drop him since he'd have run away.
>
>Whenever Spirit is being overwhelmingly loving, I remind her that she
>tried to kill me when she first met me. I only trim front claws, and
>the kitties will put up with it, although it's not their favorite
>activities.

The only time I've ever been scared of Spookie was when he had a fit
the day after a general anesthetic and those immense grey paws with
their razor talons went whizzing past my nose at high speed. I
realised that if one of them landed, I was in deep trouble. I ended up
throwing a towel over him. Not an experience I'd care to repeat.

Heh, I've just remembered why he'd had the anesthetic - he'd broken a
tooth and the vet reckoned that it was imbedded in some other poor
cat's shoulder. I sat in the waiting room hoping desperately that non
of the cat boxes on loving owners laps contained a cat with half a
tooth in it.
--
Sue Mason
s...@arctic-fox.freeserve.co.uk

Marilee J. Layman

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
In <7qjivc$8c6$1...@watserv3.uwaterloo.ca>, jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca
(James Nicoll) wrote:

> Nimrod used to bite at my shirt buttons, apparently thinking
>that they were fur snarls. She made the mistake one day of deciding
>to trim the zipper off my trousers.

Ow, ow! Good thing I don't have pants with zippers. I don't have
many clothes with buttons, either, but Spirit keep trying to bite them
off and I keep telling her they're buttons, not fur mats.

Laura Haywood

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Morgan <mor...@dreyfuss.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> the fact that Harriet Steadman married John William Morgan, from
> Wales. Akshully, I'm only guessing Harriet Steadman had it, as Harriet
> Morgan, her daughter did. I suppose it's _unlikely_ Harriet Morgan
> got it from her father, and it became a female thing, but it is
> _possible_.)

Well, the small bit of family history I've dug up points to ancestors from
England and Scotland, and probably from Wales and Ireland, and the rumor
of some Eastern Band Cherokee. I don't know much about the folks from
Wales except that it's on my mother's side.

> So, if you have relatives once called Morgan, or Steadman, we may be
> on to something.

Hmmm...definitely something to check into! The names I know of are
Haywood, Blake, Ussery, Nunn, Green, Jordan, Campbell, Thompson.

> She looks out at me from the photos, with my eyes and my cheekbones.

My sister looks a lot like our great-grandmother, and my cousin is the
very image of my grandmother.

> Well jump is what I did, when Samson fastened his tiny little kitten
> teeth onto mine and pulled. Which is what made it hurt so much, of
> course.

*flinch* I can imagine. It could be an argument for sleeping with a shirt
on...

-Laura

Rachael Lininger

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
In article <7qhi2t$7n4$1...@angantyr.lara.on.ca>,

Graydon <gra...@lara.on.ca> wrote:
>Rachael Lininger <lini...@chem.wisc.edu> scripsit:
>> In article <7qfgpb$lmf$1...@angantyr.lara.on.ca>,
>> Graydon <gra...@lara.on.ca> wrote:
>> >If you can convice Chinook to let you _buff_ the cut claws with
>> >something -- tungsten carbide file, fine (really fine) emery paper,
>> >600 grit wet/dry, something -- that might work more reliably in the
>> >long run, but I've only ever known one cat that would put up with the
>> >process and they liked to be vaccuumed, too.
>>
>> _You_ can do that.
>
>Well, no.
>
>I might even be sensible enough not to try.

I'm having trouble believing that one.

Julie Stampnitzky

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Morgan wrote in message <936196...@dreyfuss.demon.co.uk>...

>In article <7qj796$rbg$1...@fddinewz.oit.unc.edu>
> lgha...@login6.isis.unc.edu "Laura Haywood" writes:
>
>> Morgan <mor...@dreyfuss.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > in the Morgan annals of cathood. I have a large mole on the far side
of
>> > my right breast, where the breast and underarm, meet.
>>
>> You don't happen to have any long-lost cousins in NC, do you? Seriously,
>> I have a mole in almost the exact same place.
>
>Biazzaro. Just about all the women in my family have it! My mothers
>was in almost the exact spot as mine, but smaller. My grandmothers was
>over a bit, same size. All my maternal aunts have it, and many of their
>daughters, although I've not seen all the younger issue.

Going from what you say, I would guess that this is not a mole, but rather a
rudimentary third breast. Some mammals have several pairs of breasts; a
related condition can occur in humans. There's actually a line of tissue
running down a woman's chest where multiple breasts would hypothetically
grow.

--
Julie Stampnitzky http://www.yucs.org/~jules
New York http://neskaya.darkover.org

Marilee J. Layman

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In <#S9xabO9#GA.247@cpmsnbbsa03>, "Julie Stampnitzky"
<jsta...@ymail.yu.edu> wrote:

>Going from what you say, I would guess that this is not a mole, but rather a
>rudimentary third breast. Some mammals have several pairs of breasts; a
>related condition can occur in humans. There's actually a line of tissue
>running down a woman's chest where multiple breasts would hypothetically
>grow.

Yeah, you should try giving a cat a breast examination. First you've
got to *find* all the nipples and then make them lie still while you
check them.

Doug Wickstrom

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
On 1 Sep 1999 18:45:22 -0500, lini...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu
(Rachael Lininger) excited the ether to say:

>In article <7qhi2t$7n4$1...@angantyr.lara.on.ca>,
>Graydon <gra...@lara.on.ca> wrote:
>>Rachael Lininger <lini...@chem.wisc.edu> scripsit:
>>>
>>> _You_ can do that.
>>
>>Well, no.
>>
>>I might even be sensible enough not to try.
>
>I'm having trouble believing that one.

Vacuuming cats? I've heard of it. Tipper might even be willing
to put up with it, but her fur is so short even brushing isn't
necessary. It takes to people to trim her claws, though.

Not _all_ cats equate vacuum cleaners with Demons from Hell.
Tipper actually sits and watches. The big boys head for the
basement.

--
Doug Wickstrom
"We find two great gangs of political speculators, who alternately

Dorothy J Heydt

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <#S9xabO9#GA.247@cpmsnbbsa03>,

Julie Stampnitzky <jsta...@ymail.yu.edu> wrote:

>Going from what you say, I would guess that this is not a mole, but rather a
>rudimentary third breast. Some mammals have several pairs of breasts; a
>related condition can occur in humans. There's actually a line of tissue
>running down a woman's chest where multiple breasts would hypothetically
>grow.

While I'm sure this isn't impossible, I bet it's rare. All the
primates there are have only two breasts, as distinguished from
all the other mammals that have several. Since the primates had
separated off from the other mammals *before* the KT boundary
incident, we have behind us 65 MY plus worth of a standard of
only two apiece.

(And sometimes that's two too many.)

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com
http://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt

Ray Radlein

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
Doug Wickstrom wrote:

> Vacuuming cats? I've heard of it. Tipper might even be willing
> to put up with it, but her fur is so short even brushing isn't
> necessary. It takes to people to trim her claws, though.
>
> Not _all_ cats equate vacuum cleaners with Demons from Hell. Tipper
> actually sits and watches. The big boys head for the basement.

Back when we had a low-profile canister-style vacuum cleaner,
Pouncequick used to ride on it while we were vacuuming. Come to think of
it, he doesn't mind being vacuumed.

And Tigger loves it when Angie uses her blow-dryer on him in the
morning.

David G. Bell

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <FHF0s...@kithrup.com> djh...@kithrup.com "Dorothy J Heydt" writes:

> In article <#S9xabO9#GA.247@cpmsnbbsa03>,
> Julie Stampnitzky <jsta...@ymail.yu.edu> wrote:
> >
> >Going from what you say, I would guess that this is not a mole, but rather a
> >rudimentary third breast. Some mammals have several pairs of breasts; a
> >related condition can occur in humans. There's actually a line of tissue
> >running down a woman's chest where multiple breasts would hypothetically
> >grow.
>
> While I'm sure this isn't impossible, I bet it's rare. All the
> primates there are have only two breasts, as distinguished from
> all the other mammals that have several. Since the primates had
> separated off from the other mammals *before* the KT boundary
> incident, we have behind us 65 MY plus worth of a standard of
> only two apiece.
>
> (And sometimes that's two too many.)

The name Ann Boleyn comes to mind as one of the rare instances of extra
nipples, or is that just a legend?

--
David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, and Punslinger.

Zandy Hemsley

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <936256...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, David G. Bell
<db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk> writes
I thought that was only *fingers* (that she had an extra on one/both
hands and so always wore gloves).
--
Zandy Hemsley
`How will it end?' - The Truman Show

Morgan

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
jsta...@ymail.yu.edu "Julie Stampnitzky" writes:

> Going from what you say, I would guess that this is not a mole, but rather a
> rudimentary third breast.

Actually, its a particular type of wart, that looks like a mole. I
forget the name of the wart.

Lori Coulson

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
David G. Bell (db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: The name Ann Boleyn comes to mind as one of the rare instances of extra

: nipples, or is that just a legend?

Anne Boleyn had a "wen" (read large mole) on her _Neck_, which she hid
with a ribbon or necklace. Supposedly, she also had a partial additional
little finger on her left hand, this is the reason she designed the
so-called "Boleyn sleeve"....

As to the additional nipple, in _The Man with the Golden Gun_ the villian,
Scaramonga had a third nipple in the center of his chest...

Lori Coulson

...Or do you still wait for me, Dream Giver...
Just around the riverbend? Pocahontas

Dorothy J Heydt

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <936256...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>,

David G. Bell <db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>The name Ann Boleyn comes to mind as one of the rare instances of extra
>nipples, or is that just a legend?

IIRC what Anne Boleyn had was an extra *finger.* A little
rudimentary one branching off her pinkie.

However, her enemies claimed it was a nipple with which she
suckled the Devil, so that might be where the version you heard
came from.

Mike Kozlowski

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <FHG3D...@kithrup.com>,

Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:

>However, her enemies claimed it was a nipple with which she
>suckled the Devil, so that might be where the version you heard
>came from.

The extra nipple is a recurring motif in medieval witch trials.

--
Michael Kozlowski
http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~mkozlows/

Rachael Lininger

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <37cefcdc...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,

Doug Wickstrom <nims...@aol.com> wrote:
>On 1 Sep 1999 18:45:22 -0500, lini...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu
>(Rachael Lininger) excited the ether to say:
>>In article <7qhi2t$7n4$1...@angantyr.lara.on.ca>,
>>Graydon <gra...@lara.on.ca> wrote:
>>>Rachael Lininger <lini...@chem.wisc.edu> scripsit:

[Graydon's suggestion of buffing kitty's nails]

>>>Well, no.
>>>
>>>I might even be sensible enough not to try.
>>
>>I'm having trouble believing that one.
>

>Vacuuming cats? I've heard of it. Tipper might even be willing
>to put up with it, but her fur is so short even brushing isn't
>necessary. It takes to people to trim her claws, though.

No, no, I believed that some cats would like vacuuming (though I bet
Chinook's reaction would be "your kink is ok but not on my back").

>Not _all_ cats equate vacuum cleaners with Demons from Hell.
>Tipper actually sits and watches. The big boys head for the
>basement.

I haven't vacuumed while she was in the house, yet. It's not physically
possible--most of the carpet is covered with paper. Which she likes _very_
much, though I'm getting less and less fond of it.

She'll probably think the vacuum is a Demon from Hell, though, she was
upset when I opened the window and she could hear the various
outside-sounds: for a while she wouldn't even sit on my lap when I was
sitting by the window.

Jo Walton

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99

db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk "David G. Bell" writes:

> The name Ann Boleyn comes to mind as one of the rare instances of extra
> nipples, or is that just a legend?

Anne Boleyn had six fingers, and now I learn she had an extra pair
of breasts?

The woman was obviously an alien.

I expect she was one of those anthrolopogist types from the :Enchantress
From the Stars: and :The Far Side of Evil: universe, and she couldn't
be rescued by her own people without it giving too much away. I'm
surprised she was interfertile with Henry VIII (but maybe it explains
why Elizabeth never married), I can't imagine why her people wanted the
Anglican Church established that much but generally that theory sheds
more light than most.

Poor brave woman, with Henry waiting on his horse to rush off to
marry Jane Seymour as soon as Anne's head hit the ground, and not
asking for them to beam her back to the mothership.

--
Jo - - I kissed a kif at Kefk - - J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk
http://www.bluejo.demon.co.uk - Interstichia; Poetry; RASFW FAQ; etc.

Alison Scott

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

>In article <#S9xabO9#GA.247@cpmsnbbsa03>,
>Julie Stampnitzky <jsta...@ymail.yu.edu> wrote:
>>

>>Going from what you say, I would guess that this is not a mole, but rather a

>>rudimentary third breast. Some mammals have several pairs of breasts; a
>>related condition can occur in humans. There's actually a line of tissue
>>running down a woman's chest where multiple breasts would hypothetically
>>grow.
>
>While I'm sure this isn't impossible, I bet it's rare. All the
>primates there are have only two breasts, as distinguished from
>all the other mammals that have several. Since the primates had
>separated off from the other mammals *before* the KT boundary
>incident, we have behind us 65 MY plus worth of a standard of
>only two apiece.

It's not particularly rare; I read recently that about 2% of women
have a third nipple (and a few of those have four or more). They look
enough like moles that most people don't realise unless it's pointed
out to them or (occassionally) they produce a little milk during
breastfeeding.

--
Alison Scott ali...@fuggles.demon.co.uk & www.fuggles.demon.co.uk

Multiple award-losing fanzine: www.moose.demon.co.uk/plokta
News and views for SF fans: www.plokta.com/pnn

Rachael Lininger

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <37d029c9....@news.demon.co.uk>,

Alison Scott <ali...@fuggles.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>It's not particularly rare; I read recently that about 2% of women
>have a third nipple (and a few of those have four or more). They look
>enough like moles that most people don't realise unless it's pointed
>out to them or (occassionally) they produce a little milk during
>breastfeeding.

I've known at least one guy who had an extra nipple. He was an
acquaintance in highschool who loved pointing it out to people.

Bernard Peek

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <936274...@dreyfuss.demon.co.uk>, Morgan
<mor...@dreyfuss.demon.co.uk> writes

>forget the name of the wart.

Arthur.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

Marilee J. Layman

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In <37CE05...@learnlink.emory.edu>, Ray Radlein
<r...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote:

>Doug Wickstrom wrote:
>>
>> Vacuuming cats? I've heard of it. Tipper might even be willing
>> to put up with it, but her fur is so short even brushing isn't
>> necessary. It takes to people to trim her claws, though.
>>

>> Not _all_ cats equate vacuum cleaners with Demons from Hell. Tipper
>> actually sits and watches. The big boys head for the basement.
>

>Back when we had a low-profile canister-style vacuum cleaner,
>Pouncequick used to ride on it while we were vacuuming. Come to think of
>it, he doesn't mind being vacuumed.
>
>And Tigger loves it when Angie uses her blow-dryer on him in the
>morning.

All of my cats veer away from the vacuum cleaner (Spirit doesn't even
come out while the maids are here, I'm not sure they believe I have
three cats), but Spirit & Giorgio are really fascinated with a small
pineapple-shaped vibrator I keep in my desk drawer for when my hands
hurt. They're both short-haired and don't need to be brushed,
although Spirit needs hairball stuff because she bathes Brindle.
Brindle has a Persian-like face and fur, and I can use a shed blade on
her once a week and get four handfulls of fur.

Ulrika O'Brien

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
Rachael Lininger, <lini...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu>, was kind enough to
say:

> In article <37d029c9....@news.demon.co.uk>,
> Alison Scott <ali...@fuggles.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >It's not particularly rare; I read recently that about 2% of women
> >have a third nipple (and a few of those have four or more). They look
> >enough like moles that most people don't realise unless it's pointed
> >out to them or (occassionally) they produce a little milk during
> >breastfeeding.
>
> I've known at least one guy who had an extra nipple. He was an
> acquaintance in highschool who loved pointing it out to people.

Well, just so long as he kept away from the Witchfinder Sergeant.

Mary Kay Kare

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99

> Not _all_ cats equate vacuum cleaners with Demons from Hell.
> Tipper actually sits and watches. The big boys head for the
> basement.

Oh, mine sit and watch. But it's because they don't trust that Demon from
Hell and want to keep an eye on it. While Dominic has decided, in middle
age, that he likes being brushed, I wouldn't want to think about coming
near him with intent to vacuum. He is very strong, very athletic, and
very smart.

MK

--
Mary Kay Kare

Science Fiction Fandom: where people contradict you just to be polite.

Marcus L. Rowland

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <37CE05...@learnlink.emory.edu>, Ray Radlein
<r...@learnlink.emory.edu> writes

>Back when we had a low-profile canister-style vacuum cleaner,
>Pouncequick used to ride on it while we were vacuuming. Come to think of
>it, he doesn't mind being vacuumed.

Many years ago I had an old and extremely noisy petrol-driven lawnmower
that regularly chewed large chunks of turf out of the lawn. And in the
garden there was a robin that would fly down and perch on the handlebars
whenever I started the engine, waiting to go after any worms that were
unearthed by the mower.

I wonder if your cat thinks you're going to unearth mice with the
nozzle...
--
Marcus L. Rowland
http://www.ffutures.demon.co.uk/ http://www.forgottenfutures.com/

James Nicoll

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <936303...@bluejo.demon.co.uk>,

Jo Walton <J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <936256...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>
> db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk "David G. Bell" writes:
>
>> The name Ann Boleyn comes to mind as one of the rare instances of extra
>> nipples, or is that just a legend?
>
>Anne Boleyn had six fingers, and now I learn she had an extra pair
>of breasts?
>
>The woman was obviously an alien.
>
>I expect she was one of those anthrolopogist types from the :Enchantress
>From the Stars: and :The Far Side of Evil: universe, and she couldn't
>be rescued by her own people without it giving too much away. I'm
>surprised she was interfertile with Henry VIII (but maybe it explains
>why Elizabeth never married), I can't imagine why her people wanted the
>Anglican Church established that much but generally that theory sheds
>more light than most.

What makes you think Elizabeth was Henry's kid? Perhaps
Anne Boleyn's people are parthonogenic, can store sperm from
males for a long time or perhaps the males attach themselves to the
female of the species and then wither away except for a finger-like
vestige containing the testes.

>Poor brave woman, with Henry waiting on his horse to rush off to
>marry Jane Seymour as soon as Anne's head hit the ground, and not
>asking for them to beam her back to the mothership.

She downloaded into Elizabeth. Or uplinked to the ship as
the axe was falling.

Sue Mason

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:56:40 -0700, ka...@sirius.com (Mary Kay Kare)
wrote:

>In article <37cefcdc...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>, nims...@aol.com wrote:
>

>> Not _all_ cats equate vacuum cleaners with Demons from Hell.
>> Tipper actually sits and watches. The big boys head for the
>> basement.
>>
>Oh, mine sit and watch. But it's because they don't trust that Demon from
>Hell and want to keep an eye on it. While Dominic has decided, in middle
>age, that he likes being brushed, I wouldn't want to think about coming
>near him with intent to vacuum. He is very strong, very athletic, and
>very smart.

Spookie and the vacuum ignore each other.
Or more likely, by the time the noise has filtered it's way through
the wide open spaces of his mind, I've finished.

I once fired a ray gun in his face (I was getting it ready for
ShadowRun costume by painting it cammo coloured). Spooks, bless his
cotton socks, just sat on the arm of the chair as the very noisy gun
went crackle bang centimetres from his nose.

Five minutes later I sneezed and he leapt three foot in the air and
ran off.
I don't think it was the sneeze, I think the ray gun had just got
through to him.

All true, had witness, Gytha, if my memory serves me right.
--
Sue Mason
s...@arctic-fox.freeserve.co.uk

Philip Plumbly

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99
Rachael Lininger wrote in message
<7qmmt8$gpn$1...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu>...

>In article <37cefcdc...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
>Doug Wickstrom <nims...@aol.com> wrote:
>>On 1 Sep 1999 18:45:22 -0500, lini...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu
>>(Rachael Lininger) excited the ether to say:
>
>[Graydon's suggestion of buffing kitty's nails]

>>>I'm having trouble believing that one.
>>
>>Vacuuming cats? I've heard of it. Tipper might even be
willing
>>to put up with it, but her fur is so short even brushing isn't
>>necessary. It takes to people to trim her claws, though.
>
>No, no, I believed that some cats would like vacuuming (though
I bet
>Chinook's reaction would be "your kink is ok but not on my
back").

>>Not _all_ cats equate vacuum cleaners with Demons from Hell.
>>Tipper actually sits and watches. The big boys head for the
>>basement.

Perhaps they believe vacuum cleaners to be Feline specific
trans-dimensional matter transmitters and as such are things to
be afeared of. Certainly my cat, Barney, heads to the opposite
side of the house like greased lightning when I put my vacuum
cleaner on. The dog on the other hand loves to be vacuumed...
--
Phil Plumbly

South Hants SF Group,
2nd & 4th Tuesday evenings every month,
Lounge Bar, The Magpie Public House,
Fratton Road, Fratton, Portsmouth , UK
Come and visit, all welcome.

David Owen-Cruise

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99
In article <7qp26h$180$2...@lure.pipex.net>, "Philip Plumbly" <Philip....@ukgateway.net> wrote:
>Rachael Lininger wrote in message
><7qmmt8$gpn$1...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu>...
>>In article <37cefcdc...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
>>Doug Wickstrom <nims...@aol.com> wrote:
[I don't think I've screwed up attributions, but I may be wrong]

>>>Not _all_ cats equate vacuum cleaners with Demons from Hell.
>>>Tipper actually sits and watches. The big boys head for the
>>>basement.
>
>Perhaps they believe vacuum cleaners to be Feline specific
>trans-dimensional matter transmitters and as such are things to
>be afeared of. Certainly my cat, Barney, heads to the opposite
>side of the house like greased lightning when I put my vacuum
>cleaner on. The dog on the other hand loves to be vacuumed...

I used to see a sig quote which went roughly "The fossil record is weak,
but we do know it sounded like a vacuum cleaner and it ate cats."

--
David Owen-Cruise
"Letters are things, not pictures of things."

Ed Dravecky III

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
Mary Kay Kare (ka...@sirius.com) wrote:
> Ed Dravecky III <dshe...@netcom17.netcom.com> wrote:
> > Rachael Lininger (lini...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu) wrote:
> > > Due to Morgan's suggestion of stuffing the cat down my bathrobe,
> > > I've had a kitten in my cleavage for most of the weekend. :)
> >
> > Meow!
> > (Sorry, I was trying to think of something clever to say here but the
> > phrase "a kitten in my cleavage" is preventing rational or productive
> > thought at the moment. I actually snarfed my Diet Dr Pepper.)
>
> Your Meow May Vary?

I think you owe Ray a dollar. (I have _got_ to stop drinking
carbonated beverages while reading RASFF...)

--
Ed Dravecky III
dshe...@netcom.com

Ed Dravecky III

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
Lori Coulson (lcou...@gcfn.org) wrote:
> As to the additional nipple, in _The Man with the Golden Gun_
> the villian, Scaramonga had a third nipple in the center of
> his chest...

So does one of the characters of "Friends". (Chandler, iirc.)

obscurity

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
On 2 Sep 1999 16:25:33 -0500, Rachael Lininger <lini...@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu> wrote:
> In article <37d029c9....@news.demon.co.uk>,
> Alison Scott <ali...@fuggles.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >It's not particularly rare; I read recently that about 2% of women
> >have a third nipple (and a few of those have four or more). They look
> >enough like moles that most people don't realise unless it's pointed
> >out to them or (occassionally) they produce a little milk during
> >breastfeeding.
>
> I've known at least one guy who had an extra nipple. He was an
> acquaintance in highschool who loved pointing it out to people.

I have a third nipple (I'm male, btw). I *hate* it when people notice, and
can't imagine actually pointing it out to people. "Hey, look - I'm weird!".
(Although people usually manage to figure out I'm weird anyway. :) )

--
obscurity.

"Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure." - Oscar Wilde

Arthur Hlavaty

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
Alison Scott <ali...@fuggles.demon.co.uk> wrote:

: It's not particularly rare; I read recently that about 2% of women
: have a third nipple (and a few of those have four or more). They look
: enough like moles that most people don't realise unless it's pointed
: out to them or (occassionally) they produce a little milk during
: breastfeeding.

A long time ago, I had a girl friend with a third nipple, 3-4 inches below
the left one, a bit smaller than the others.

--
Arthur D. Hlavaty hla...@panix.com
Church of the SuperGenius In Wile E. We Trust
\\\ E-zine available on request. ///

Dorothy J Heydt

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
In article <Sat-Sep--4-19-...@burnout.demon.co.uk>,

obscurity <obsc...@obscure.org> wrote:
>I have a third nipple (I'm male, btw). I *hate* it when people notice, and
>can't imagine actually pointing it out to people. "Hey, look - I'm weird!".
>(Although people usually manage to figure out I'm weird anyway. :) )

Some are weirder than others....

no, I mean, some are born weird, some achieve weirdness, and some
have weirdness thrust upon them.

You can probably get the thing removed if it annoys you.

Morgan

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
In article <FHJy2...@kithrup.com> djh...@kithrup.com "Dorothy J Heydt" writes:

> In article <Sat-Sep--4-19-...@burnout.demon.co.uk>,
> obscurity <obsc...@obscure.org> wrote:
> >I have a third nipple (I'm male, btw). I *hate* it when people notice, and
> >can't imagine actually pointing it out to people. "Hey, look - I'm weird!".
> >(Although people usually manage to figure out I'm weird anyway. :) )
>
> Some are weirder than others....
>
> no, I mean, some are born weird, some achieve weirdness, and some
> have weirdness thrust upon them.
>
> You can probably get the thing removed if it annoys you.

You can get weirdness removed? Wow, would we be, like, normal?

Richard Brandt

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
"Marilee J. Layman" wrote:

> Yeah, you should try giving a cat a breast examination. First you've
> got to *find* all the nipples and then make them lie still while you
> check them.

Back when we wondered if our new cat had become preggers in the wild,
Michelle asked our vet if you could determine from a nipple
examination whether a cat was pregnant. This was before either
of them determined that our new cat was in fact a neutered male.

--
==== Richard Brandt is at http://www.spaceports.com/~rsbrandt ====
"To say that the web is light-years behind television as a visual