BucConeer Report

Marilee J. Layman

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
BucConeer Report

Summary

It was the best of cons, it was the worst of cons. At least in my con
experience. This was my first Worldcon and I debated about going
since the con would be so spread out. For those who haven't been
following the story of my life, I'm disabled. I have trouble walking
and I'm not very strong (partially paralyzed on the left, renal
failure, lung damage, etc.). Baltimore turns out to be vastly
unfriendly to the gimp on the street. The curb cuts are diagonal at
the corners so you have to walk into traffic to use them, and the
curbs are very high. The con couldn't help this, of course, and they
did yeoman work of providing shuttle buses between the hotels and the
convention center, including buses with lifts and buses that kneeled.
The con also provided scooters & wheelchairs at cost to those who
needed them, but I decided I didn't and I probably did.

The best parts of the con: meeting people I know from online (we got
our O*W*C folk together for a picture, and I ran into a number of
rasffians), hearing Mike Flynn's Statistics talk (thanks to Evelyn's
Wiscon review for making me go), seeing Allen win another Hugo,
talking with Melissa Scott about her books, and the magazine panel
where Ellen Datlow valiantly defended online mags against the slings &
arrows of print publishers.

The worst parts of the con: not meeting people I know from online
(never got to see Patrick & Teresa, Vicki, Lis, my beading friend
Judith, our O*W*C regular Jim Van Pelt, and many others), pain and
exhaustion, only getting to the fan lounge once, only getting to the
con suite once, not getting to any filking, not getting to any
parties, and braving the streets of Baltimore, even just between the
shuttle/taxi and the hotel/convention center. All of these bad parts
come from the con being spread out and my disability. I voted for
Orlando because of this, but I hear there's a hotel directly connected
to the Philly convention center. I wonder if they take reservations
this early?

Day by Day

My con started early when I picked up TAFF delegate Maureen Kincaid
Speller and her husband Paul Kincaid at Dulles Airport on Sunday. We
had a great three days together (with enough other fen taking them off
so I could get packing and preparation done for the con) and headed
out about noon on Wednesday. The "Surrender Dorothy!" graffiti was
gone from the bridge, but they did get to see the Mormon temple in all
its glory. We had an uneventful drive up and I dropped them at their
hotel, dropped a 20-pound box of books for my friend Karen at her
hotel (she'd UPSed them to me and ended up having room for all of the
signed books in her luggage to go home), and finally to my hotel, the
Tremont Plaza. I had a nice handicapped accessible room with kitchen
and cardiac chair. My con roommate, Deborah, came later and between
us, we'd brought enough food to feed several families. I met O*W*C
friends at opening ceremonies and found that my friend Mark had signed
me up for Melissa Scott's kaffeeklatsch, which was very nice of him.
I had the jewelry for TAFF auction with me and left them with Mary Kay
in the art show room. We had a abysmal dinner at a restaurant across
from the convention center (not the Wharf Rat) where the only really
good food was the onion rings (my "nachos" had barbecue sauce on them)
and then Mark came with me to get the ceramics for auction. After we
dropped those at the art show, we wandered off to the Hilton to meet
the others and wait for the fan lounge to open. Madle's interview ran
late, and the lounge opened late, and there wasn't anybody we knew
there, so after making some small talk, I went to bed and the others
went on to parties.

Thursday I went to a few panels, listened to Jordin Kare's concert,
napped, went to the crab fest (please, no more Old Bay!) where I
taught the others at our table how to open the crabs and passed out
wet towelettes at appropriate moments, and then back to my room to
host my chat. I ended up closing the chat 15 minutes early because I
hurt too much. To bed and to sleep.

Friday morning became Friday afternoon as I measured how much I hurt
and what I really wanted to do, so I started my con day at 1pm with
Melissa Scott's kaffeeklatsch. She wasn't distracted by my beading,
so I managed to occupy my hands enough to think intelligently. I
enjoyed meeting her and the others at the table and Melissa agreed to
come chat with O*W*C sometime soon. I went on to the combined
charities auction which started late because Michael Whelan thought he
had the room right until the time the auction was to start. I wrote
receipts (good luck reading those, Mary Kay!) and kibitzed from the
back of the room with the other clerks (Parris, and Dot Willis).
Unfortunately, many of the folks at the auction left before we got to
some of my jewelry, so it didn't bring in as much as I'd hoped, but
it's still more than I could have afforded to give in cash so TAFF
made out okay. Janice Gelb arrived after the Pretty in Pink set had
been sold and she still wanted the earrings, so she gave TAFF some
money and I promised her a pair when I got home. It turned out that
Chris Marble's wife doesn't have pierced ears, so we worked it out
that Janice would take the pierced earrings home and I would mail him
earrings with clips (I've already started them, expect to mail
tomorrow). I went back to the room for another nap and some beading
and came back to the convention center in time for the Hugos. My
choices won in about half the categories, which isn't bad, and I was
pleased to see Allen Steele win another Hugo. Allen has been a
regular with O*W*C for about five years and I contributed some minor
bits to some of his books, but I'd never met him in person. After the
awards, I wormed through the crowd to find him. I held out my hand
and said "Congratulations!" and he shook my hand and said "Thanks!"
with insufficient enthusiasm, so I aimed my badge at his face, and he
shouted "MY GOD! MARILEE LAYMAN!" and about hugged the breath out of
me. He had to go get pictures taken and I didn't see him again, but
that was a nice few seconds. Our O*W*C folk retired to my room after
the Hugos to eat some of the food, but not nearly enough of it. I had
my notebook signed on to our chat and we took turns confusing the
guests by all appearing on my screenname. Mark had gone home to get
his almost-eight-year-old daughter and she was markedly bored by the
grownups. When Mark & Karen had to feed their nicotine jones, we
started shutting down and I got a brief eight pages read before I went
to sleep.

Saturday morning I finally got to the con suite only to find Judith
wasn't there and I left off our contribution and went on to the
convention center. All the O*W*C folk met with one of our regulars,
Locus photog Beth Gwinn, to have our picture taken and we got a few
with my digital camera, too. After chatting, we broke up to different
directions. Several of us went to Mike Flynn's statistics talk and
after that, I finally got to the dealer's room. Never did make it to
see the actual art show. I liked that there was a lot of books, but
none were in alphabetical order and I can't stand long enough to
search through. I bought puzzle animals for my niece & nephew, a cat
fantasy magnet for the neighbor who watched my kitties, and 10
iridescent marbles that I'll make into netted earrings. Back to the
room for another nap and more beading and a return to the convention
center for the Masquerade. The sad and shocking part happened early
when Marty Gear, attempting to show off the awards, apparently tripped
and fell, bringing down the breakable awards with him. He seemed
fine, but shaken, and they said they had extra awards and would
replace those. Tech seemed to have problems with the lights so we
were treated to way too many vampire jokes during the lulls. As
usual, there were strange entries, confusing entries, and wonderful,
beautiful entries. Dave Weingart and company were "Bootie and the
Beets" and Eugenia Horne was "BucConeer Barbie." Both won awards.
The really splendid piece was "The Huntswoman" with a mechanical/human
riding beast and they won Best in Show. Probably the funniest one was
the black monolith from 2001 with voiceover about all the questions
the book left and then, as the monolith turned, the answer: 42. By
the time the awards were announced, it was almost midnight and all I
could do was to go to bed.

Sunday had nothing I really needed to see or do, compared with my
pain, and so I slept in a bit, packed, and came home. Five loads of
laundry, five hours of online, and half a pizza later, I went to bed.
The kitties were more loving than usual, but didn't seem to be too
angry at me. Today: more laundry, more unpacking, and more online.

I enjoyed what I could do at the con, but I didn't get to do things I
wanted to do because they were too hard for me to get to at all the
different hotels. It won't be possible for me to go to Australia or
Chicago, so I'll have to think if the Philly Worldcon is sufficiently
central or not. And I'll probably go anyway.

--
Marilee J. Layman Co-Leader, The Other*Worlds*Cafe
relm...@aol.com A Science Fiction Discussion Group

Stevens

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
Marilee J. Layman wrote:

> It was the best of cons, it was the worst of cons.

That would average out to my view. Kind of subdued, I'd call it.

> I bought puzzle animals for my niece & nephew[...]

I bought the puzzle pregnant rabbit for my mom, who collects
objets des bunnies.

> [...]the Masquerade. The sad and shocking part happened early

> when Marty Gear, attempting to show off the awards, apparently tripped
> and fell, bringing down the breakable awards with him. He seemed
> fine, but shaken, and they said they had extra awards and would
> replace those.

From the fifth row (thanks for letting us earn those seats,
Seth), it seemed like such a perfect pratfall that I first
thought he had rehearsed it. He seemed to tumble off the
stage, catching the table so it also did a complete 180-
degree flip. I don't remember hearing anything, even. But,
when over a dozen people sprinted to the spot, it became
fairly obvious he'd fallen by accident. He really earned some
applause by not only returning to the mike, but stating,
"Dracula rises from the dead." A showman.

> Tech seemed to have problems with the lights so we
> were treated to way too many vampire jokes during the lulls.

At the post-mortem on Sunday, Marty explained that the
computer-controlled lighting board had crashed, causing
the complete loss of all presets, which had to be entered
manually for the rest of the show. Sounds like an odd
system to me, but the experienced among us seemed very
sympathetic, and I won't presume to contradict them.

> The really splendid piece was "The Huntswoman" with a mechanical/human

"Huntress," IIRC.

> riding beast and they won Best in Show.

It _was_ impressive, with lights and metallic gleam; it
looked like a robotic cross between a motorcycle and a
sabre-toothed tiger, being ridden by one of those almost-
sexy shiny female-shaped robots that Japanese artist
paints so often.

Unfortunately, the tigercycle had no traction between its
feet and the stage, so it was barely able to propel itself.
In trying, it moved a yard, then fell completely over on
its side, rider and all (and, again, a dozen frantic
rescuers ran in from all directions). If functionality
is relevant, I don't see how this entry could have won, but
it did. If only static display matters, then it won by
right.

> Probably the funniest one was
> the black monolith from 2001 with voiceover about all the questions
> the book left and then, as the monolith turned, the answer: 42.

I loved the humor so many of the entries provided. But,
the funniest was not, I think, designed to be any kind of
joke. It was a full-scale rendition of the Army men from
"Toy Story." First one, then--suddenly--about a dozen of
them, including one attached to a parachute by the big
plastic O-ring some of us may remember. Their costumes
were both detailed in ways that seemed to match the movie
characters (the plastic flashing at the edges of the molds
were perfect), and recreated the original glossy green
plastic that, again, some of us may remember. It was
truly impressive, and funny in a very uncommon way. (Due
in part, I should add, to the excellent physical acting
skills of the masquers; they might have been coached by
The Blue Man Group.)

> I enjoyed what I could do at the con, but I didn't get to do things I

> wanted to do[...]

Me either, though this time it was never because a panel
or event was in a room too small (which happened a few
times in '94).

I liked the con, but it seemed... well... a bit "flat,"
if that makes any sense. There were panels, a dealers'
room, an art show, a film show, kaffeeklatsches, and the
masquerade. But the film show was sort of blah with, I
thought, very few amateur or short productions. The art
show included both originals and posters of some of the
same originals, which seemed odd to me. It also managed
to escape my notice that it would be closed to viewing
for several hours on Saturday. And I went all the way
back to my hotel rather than check my camera, which it
turns out I _could_ have taken in to the show if the
artist whose work I wanted to photograph had consented
(and it turned out he was consenting, bless his heart).
There was very little sculpture, but lots of 2D stuff.
The dealers' room seemed almost like a professional mall
or regular weekend market. There were book dealers,
tee-shirt vendors, jewelry makers (some with no apparent
sf or fantasy offerings at all), lots of poster sellers.
But I felt there should have been more stuff one just
wouldn't find other than at a con. I have some vague
memories of blinking lights and plastic chips and funny
bottle labels and so forth from the few cons I attended
in the '70s. Nothing like that seemed to be at this one.
The panels included a number of topics I found interesting,
but the panelists often seemed ill-at-ease with their
topics. For example, David Cherry had to be told from the
audience, at "Legal Systems of the Future," that the United
States has virtually abandoned state efforts at the
rehabilitation of sex offenders (which he offered as the
first thing he wished it would stop diverting resources
into). S. M. Stirling was superb on the same panel, so
it averaged out, I guess. The obligatory FTL panel (this
one was on using the ERP trick to teleport) was chaired
by the author of a fine Analog article from '93 that
explains the technique, yet he managed to render his own
subject matter impenetrable to a packed room. Charles
Sheffield and the other panelists bailed him, but the
audience seemed grumpy (particularly when it became clear
that the ERP trick does _not_ permit FTL travel in any
practical sense (hey, what did you expect?)).

The readings were as good as readings always are, but Liz
and I enjoyed Walter Jon Williams (and she got to attend
his klatsch, would made her very happy). On the whole,
we both enjoyed it a lot, but it seemed to me, overall, to
be somewhat too finely machined. All the parts were there
and they all fit where they were designed to go, but it
lacked the energy that a little too much coal in the
boiler might have added.

I do want to add that I am in awe of the organizers: this
was an enormous event, particularly in view of the number
of disparate subevents all being gathered into one place.
My sources tell me that, internally, things were not so
perfect. But from my perspective as a simple member, it
seemed well-tuned. I was impressed.

--
Stevens R. Miller - Director, Technology & Online Forensics
DSFX International, Falls Church, VA - (703) 207-0600

Elisabeth Carey

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
Marilee J. Layman wrote:

> BucConeer Report
>
> Summary
>
> It was the best of cons, it was the worst of cons. At least in my con
> experience. This was my first Worldcon and I debated about going
> since the con would be so spread out. For those who haven't been
> following the story of my life, I'm disabled. I have trouble walking
> and I'm not very strong (partially paralyzed on the left, renal
> failure, lung damage, etc.). Baltimore turns out to be vastly
> unfriendly to the gimp on the street. The curb cuts are diagonal at
> the corners so you have to walk into traffic to use them, and the
> curbs are very high. The con couldn't help this, of course, and they
> did yeoman work of providing shuttle buses between the hotels and the
> convention center, including buses with lifts and buses that kneeled.
> The con also provided scooters & wheelchairs at cost to those who
> needed them, but I decided I didn't and I probably did.

Someone told me that Baltimore is the least handicapped-accessible
city she's been in in North America. She had a good deal to say about
some places that claimed to be handicapped-accessible, but had a step
up just inside the door, or no space for a scooter to pivot, or the
hotel that had only one door wide enough to accommodate a scooter or
wheelchair--the baggage entrance.

<snip>

> The worst parts of the con: not meeting people I know from online
> (never got to see Patrick & Teresa, Vicki, Lis, my beading friend

I was there, truly!:)

I was in one sense very easy to find--I spent a lot of time on the
Orlando bid table until the close of voting Friday, and a lot of time
on the NESFA sales table in the dealers' room after that, and in
another sense I was very hard to find--I didn't get too many other
places, and didn't arrive until Thursday, besides. Whenever I
contemplated going to the fanzine lounge or the consuite or the
newsletter office [where someone else I wanted to find was spending
most his time], I contemplated the heat and the humidity and the
Baltimore streets, and signed up for another hour on whatever table I
was on, instead.

I did manage to meet Ulrika, catching up with her at the etiquette
panel. I saw Gary Farber Saturday afternoon. He says we also met at
the Orlando Flamingo Noir party on Thursday, but I just stared blankly
at him. Given what my travel experience on Thursday was like, and my
consequent state of exhaustion, this seems unsurprising to me. I saw
PNH and TNH several times, but mostly in passing. Seth Breidbart and
Saul Jaffe I saw quite a bit of, because we were all working on the
Orlando bid and on the NESFA sales table.

I also saw a bunch of people from the Fido SF echo, mostly because
they left warning notes at the voodoo board, so that I was reminded
at-con to be actively looking for them [and also to respond with notes
of my own, explaining where and when I was most likely to be found.]

It was a very hectic con.

It did definitely have its positive points though, especially the
people I did meet, including Jack Williamson and Charles Harness. Both
men were quite charmingly pleased with the books [the Williamson
bibliography and the Harness collection], and a delight to have
sitting at the table for two hours apiece, signing books. And since
Harness doesn't in general do conventions, and only came out for the
day because of the book and because he lives in the area, this was
probably a once-only opportunity. I enjoyed our parties, even though
they were exhausting; there are few things quite like the amusement
value of walking up to someone with a tray of salmon & cream cheese,
offering them "smoked flamingo", and watching the reaction. One child
very sensibly wanted to know what it tasted like, and his mother,
after she stopped giggling, said "It tastes just like salmon, honey;
you'll like it." And the flamingo giveaway Saturday night was great
fun, especially after we realized there WERE people in the world mad
enough to want to take the giant flamingo parade floats off our hands.

I took pictures; they have already been sent off to be developed.
Certain people should be very afraid; they may even remember who they
are.

<snip>

Lis Carey

Gary Farber

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
In <35CFB725...@mediaone.net>
Elisabeth Carey <lis....@mediaone.net> wrote:
[. . .]
: I was there, truly!:)

I can vouch for that, in that we got to wave at each other, and say
"hello" (the first time you didn't recognize me; the second time you did);
but we didn't get to do more than that, which was frustrating. I probably
should have spent more time at a Boston party, I guess, though I did spend
a cumulative three hours or so over a couple of nights -- but talking to
Other People. (If there are any tee-shirts left, I Really Want One.)

: I was in one sense very easy to find--I spent a lot of time on the

: Orlando bid table until the close of voting Friday, and a lot of time
: on the NESFA sales table in the dealers' room after that, and in
: another sense I was very hard to find--I didn't get too many other
: places, and didn't arrive until Thursday, besides. Whenever I
: contemplated going to the fanzine lounge or the consuite or the
: newsletter office [where someone else I wanted to find was spending
: most his time], I contemplated the heat and the humidity and the
: Baltimore streets, and signed up for another hour on whatever table I
: was on, instead.

Well, *that* makes sense. Outside, yuck! And it Wasn't Bad, given how it
could have been. It was merely Yucky, and Icky, versus potentially
Unbearable and Fainting.

Why do we hold Worldcons in summer, again? (I ask this every year I
attend one.)

: I did manage to meet Ulrika, catching up with her at the etiquette

: panel. I saw Gary Farber Saturday afternoon.

For a minute. But I Don't Blame You, honest, trulio, really. It's the
Worldcon, That's How It Is, and it's more my fault as yours.

: He says we also met at

: the Orlando Flamingo Noir party on Thursday, but I just stared blankly
: at him.

If I had a penny for everyone who did that, I would have had bus fare back
to NYC. Rusty Hevelin did it, Covert Beach did it, a long list of folks
did it. No prob; I don't expect people who see me once every decade to
place me. Heck, I feel lucky if people who see me only every month can do
that. :-)

[. . .]

: It was a very hectic con.

Different from an average Worldcon? When did you start, anyway? :-)

: It did definitely have its positive points though, especially the

: people I did meet, including Jack Williamson

There was a rumor about him being taken out of one of mass events, either
Hugos or Masquerade, unwell, though not seriously; I hope he's well.

[. . .]

: And the flamingo giveaway Saturday night was great

: fun, especially after we realized there WERE people in the world mad
: enough to want to take the giant flamingo parade floats off our hands.

Seeing them walking through the streets late at night was quite a sight,
to be sure.

: I took pictures; they have already been sent off to be developed.

: Certain people should be very afraid; they may even remember who they
: are.

GIF, GIF, GIF!

--
Copyright 1998 by Gary Farber; Web Researcher; Nonfiction Writer,
Fiction and Nonfiction Editor; gfa...@panix.com; B'klyn, NYC, US

Tom Galloway

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
In article <35CF9D...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:

>Marilee J. Layman wrote:
>> Tech seemed to have problems with the lights so we
>> were treated to way too many vampire jokes during the lulls.
>At the post-mortem on Sunday, Marty explained that the
>computer-controlled lighting board had crashed, causing
>the complete loss of all presets, which had to be entered
>manually for the rest of the show. Sounds like an odd

And it wasn't only that. There was also an elderly author who had to be
removed from the audience due to feeling dizzy/faint. And backstage someone
tripped and racked up their knee. And a fair number of entries required
time to setup and disassemble props.

>Unfortunately, the tigercycle had no traction between its
>feet and the stage, so it was barely able to propel itself.
>In trying, it moved a yard, then fell completely over on
>its side, rider and all (and, again, a dozen frantic
>rescuers ran in from all directions). If functionality

There was someone inside the cycle, which weighed about 300 pounds. As a
catcher (who learned when it fell over that I'm getting too old to vault
onto a five foot or so raised stage from a standing start), we warned/were
warned in advance that should the thing somehow go over the edge, we'd
try to save the rider, but the cycle and its occupant were on their own
as any catcher who put their body between it and the floor would be smushed.
The rider was quite fortunate that her leg didn't get caught under the
fallen bike, as I suspect there would've been a loud "CRACK" had that
happened.

tyg t...@netcom.com

Ulrika

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
In article <35CF9D...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> writes:

>That would average out to my view. Kind of subdued, I'd call it.

You were there? Bastard. Where the hell were you???

Um. Which is to say, golly Steve, sure sorry I missed meeting
you.

"Yes, indeed, the Lord is a shoving leopard." -- Rev. W.A. Spooner
** Ulrika O'Brien-...@aol.com**

Perrianne Lurie

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
Gary Farber <gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote:

>In <35CFB725...@mediaone.net>

>Why do we hold Worldcons in summer, again? (I ask this every year I
>attend one.)

Of course, this won't be a problem next year, since September in
Melbourne is WINTER.

>There was a rumor about him [Willimason] being taken out of one of mass events, either

>Hugos or Masquerade, unwell, though not seriously; I hope he's well.

It was the Masquerade. He's fine. Just needed rest and food. (Like so
many of the rest of us.)

Perrianne Lurie
BucCONeer, the 56-th World Science Fiction Convention
August 5-9, 1998, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
P.O. Box 314, Annapolis Junction, MD 20701
bucc...@bucconeer.worldcon.org
http://www.bucconeer.worldcon.org

Personal E-mail: bucc...@pipeline.com

Zev Sero

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, bucc...@pipeline.com (Perrianne Lurie) wrote:
>Gary Farber <gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote:

>>Why do we hold Worldcons in summer, again? (I ask this every year I
>>attend one.)

>Of course, this won't be a problem next year, since September in
>Melbourne is WINTER.

Well, spring. Spring starts on 1-Sep and the con starts on 2-Sep.
--
Zev Sero Programming: the art of debugging an empty text file
zs...@bigfoot.com

Evelyn C. Leeper

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
In article <35e36cbc...@news.idt.net>,

Zev Sero <zs...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, bucc...@pipeline.com (Perrianne Lurie) wrote:
> >Gary Farber <gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote:
>
> >>Why do we hold Worldcons in summer, again? (I ask this every year I
> >>attend one.)
>
> >Of course, this won't be a problem next year, since September in
> >Melbourne is WINTER.
>
> Well, spring. Spring starts on 1-Sep and the con starts on 2-Sep.

Spring, last time I checked, started on 22-Sep in the Southern
Hemisphere.
--
Evelyn C. Leeper | ele...@lucent.com
+1 732 957 2070 | http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4824

Gary Farber

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
In <tygExI...@netcom.com> Tom Galloway <t...@netcom.com> wrote:
[. . .]
: And it wasn't only that. There was also an elderly author who had to be

: removed from the audience due to feeling dizzy/faint.

Jack Williamson, right?

By the way, I didn't realize that it was you who was sitting opposite me
on the bed at Moshe and Lise's Sunday night party, near Ruth Sachter, John
Lorentz, and Bruce Pelz, otherwise I would have specifically said "hi."
I'm not sure we've otherwise previously met in person.

[. . . .]

Gary Farber

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
In <199808111130...@ladder03.news.aol.com>
Ulrika <ulr...@aol.com> wrote:
: In article <35CF9D...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> writes:

:>That would average out to my view. Kind of subdued, I'd call it.

: You were there? Bastard. Where the hell were you???

: Um. Which is to say, golly Steve, sure sorry I missed meeting
: you.

Yeah, I only saw him and Elizabeth by fluke, for about four minutes, while
our paths crossed in the main Con Center area, near registration, one
afternoon. Never saw them again, sigh.

Elisabeth Carey

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
Gary Farber wrote:

> In <35CFB725...@mediaone.net>
> Elisabeth Carey <lis....@mediaone.net> wrote:
> [. . .]
> : I was there, truly!:)
>
> I can vouch for that, in that we got to wave at each other, and say
> "hello" (the first time you didn't recognize me; the second time you did);
> but we didn't get to do more than that, which was frustrating. I probably
> should have spent more time at a Boston party, I guess, though I did spend
> a cumulative three hours or so over a couple of nights -- but talking to
> Other People. (If there are any tee-shirts left, I Really Want One.)

I think I saw an empty box where the tee-shirts used to be, but I'll
check.

<snip>

> Why do we hold Worldcons in summer, again? (I ask this every year I
> attend one.)

Tradition. Fans love tradition. Also, it's easier to get facilities
when no _other_ group is crazy enough to want to be someplace. IOW,
we're cheap.

<snip>

> : He says we also met at
> : the Orlando Flamingo Noir party on Thursday, but I just stared blankly
> : at him.
>
> If I had a penny for everyone who did that, I would have had bus fare back
> to NYC. Rusty Hevelin did it, Covert Beach did it, a long list of folks
> did it. No prob; I don't expect people who see me once every decade to
> place me. Heck, I feel lucky if people who see me only every month can do
> that. :-)

I don't think it's the infrequency of the meeting, at least not
altogether; I think the advanced state of exhaustion I was in after
what Southwest put me through just getting to the con was a
significant factor. Thursday night, other than active NESFen and
MCFIers, I recognized only people who I've personally scheduled on
Boskone program, I'm nearly certain. I did much better the rest of the
weekend.

> : It was a very hectic con.
>
> Different from an average Worldcon? When did you start, anyway? :-)

Well, no, not different from the average Worldcon.:)

My first Worldcon was Noreascon Two. I just barely missed having
Noreascon One as my first Worldcon: my first con was Boskone in 1980;
I was told about Worldcon coming to Boston later that years, but I
hadn't yet figure out this Fannish Stuff sufficiently to realize I
wanted to attend. It was the following Boskone, in 1981, when I
figured out that I'd made a mistake and missed something I _really_
wanted to attend.

Live and learn.:)

> : It did definitely have its positive points though, especially the
> : people I did meet, including Jack Williamson
>

> There was a rumor about him being taken out of one of mass events, either

> Hugos or Masquerade, unwell, though not seriously; I hope he's well.

Just exhaustion, but _he_ had the sense to say, "I'm feeling faint;
get me out of here."

> : And the flamingo giveaway Saturday night was great
> : fun, especially after we realized there WERE people in the world mad
> : enough to want to take the giant flamingo parade floats off our hands.
>
> Seeing them walking through the streets late at night was quite a sight,
> to be sure.

What's really scary is that the Holiday Inn wanted them, but couldn't
work out a place to store them.

> : I took pictures; they have already been sent off to be developed.
> : Certain people should be very afraid; they may even remember who they
> : are.
>
> GIF, GIF, GIF!

Patience, patience, patience! I have to get them back first.

Lis Carey

Stevens

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
Gary Farber wrote:

> In <tygExI...@netcom.com> Tom Galloway <t...@netcom.com> wrote:
> [. . .]
> : And it wasn't only that. There was also an elderly author who had to be
> : removed from the audience due to feeling dizzy/faint.
>
> Jack Williamson, right?

Yes, that's who it was. As he is all of 90 years old, I'm
not shocked that he might leave early. I'm not sure what
point Tom is making, but Williamson's departure in no visible
way interfered with the proceedings. I have no inside info
on this, but we were sitting right behind him and I got the
impression that he was probably just tired or not feeling
well. Several helpers assisted him into a wheelchair, and
he left quickly, but there was no sense of emergency on
display. I hope he's alright, of course.

Stevens

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
Ulrika wrote:

> In article <35CF9D...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> writes:
>
> >That would average out to my view. Kind of subdued, I'd call it.
>
> You were there? Bastard. Where the hell were you???

Looking up your- er... I was around, sorta.

> Um. Which is to say, golly Steve, sure sorry I missed meeting
> you.

Likewise. You owe me a curtsy.

[BTW, I _am_ a bastard; no need to sidestep the point. 8-)]

Stevens

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
Gary Farber wrote:

> In <199808111130...@ladder03.news.aol.com>

> Ulrika <ulr...@aol.com> wrote:
> : In article <35CF9D...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> writes:
>
> :>That would average out to my view. Kind of subdued, I'd call it.
>
> : You were there? Bastard. Where the hell were you???
>
> : Um. Which is to say, golly Steve, sure sorry I missed meeting
> : you.
>
> Yeah, I only saw him and Elizabeth by fluke, for about four minutes, while
> our paths crossed in the main Con Center area, near registration, one
> afternoon. Never saw them again, sigh.

Funny; Liz asked me if maybe the New York fans were avoiding
_us_ for some reason. Next time, we'll make better plans.
I never did find Vicki, and I had tried to set that up in
advance. But it was nice to recognize and talk to the
familiar faces we did encounter. For some kind of record,
they were:

Patrick Nielsen Hayden
Teresa Nielsen Hayden
Gary Farber
Seth Breidbart
James Macdonald
Debra Doyle
Zev Sero
Larry Niven

Well, okay. I don't really _know_ Larry Niven. But I am
familiar with his face and we did stand next to him in the
art show for a little while. Seth was better company.

Stevens

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
Zev Sero wrote:

> On 11 Aug 1998 20:12, Gary Farber <gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote:
> >Ulrika <ulr...@aol.com> wrote:
> >: In article <35CF9D...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> writes:
>
> >:>That would average out to my view. Kind of subdued, I'd call it.
>
> >: You were there? Bastard. Where the hell were you???
>
> >: Um. Which is to say, golly Steve, sure sorry I missed meeting
> >: you.
>
> >Yeah, I only saw him and Elizabeth by fluke, for about four minutes, while
> >our paths crossed in the main Con Center area, near registration, one
> >afternoon. Never saw them again, sigh.
>
> I also saw them once, for about ten seconds. I was walking out of
> somewhere, and they were walking in, but I can't remember where or
> when.

Well, we saw you _twice_. Once when you were entering the
center on Friday, then again at the Omni when you were
hollering for minyan volunteers. But, it was only during
our second sighting that we got your attention.

Next time, let's have an NYC Chapter Raseff party.

Clive Newall

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
e...@hobcs1.mt.lucent.com (Evelyn C. Leeper) writes:

:> In article <35e36cbc...@news.idt.net>,

:> Zev Sero <zs...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
:> > On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, bucc...@pipeline.com (Perrianne Lurie) wrote:
:> > >Gary Farber <gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote:

:> >
:> > >>Why do we hold Worldcons in summer, again? (I ask this every year I
:> > >>attend one.)
:> >
:> > >Of course, this won't be a problem next year, since September in

:> > >Melbourne is WINTER.
:> >
:> > Well, spring. Spring starts on 1-Sep and the con starts on 2-Sep.
:>
:> Spring, last time I checked, started on 22-Sep in the Southern
:> Hemisphere.

Nope. Maybe elsewhere in the southern hemisphere, but as far as
Australia is concerned the seasons start on 1 March, 1 June, 1 Sep,
1 Dec. (Being Autumn, Winter, Spring & Summer, respectively.)

Of course, the _real_ seasons start on 1 Oct (Cricket) and 1 Apr
(Football).

--
Clive Newall <c...@bby.com.au> / ITG Australia Ltd, Melbourne Australia
"I think Casper is the ghost of Richie Rich. I wonder how Richie died?"

Zev Sero

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
On 11 Aug 1998 16:27, e...@hobcs1.mt.lucent.com (Evelyn C. Leeper) wrote:
>Zev Sero <zs...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> >Of course, this won't be a problem next year, since September in
>> >Melbourne is WINTER.

>> Well, spring. Spring starts on 1-Sep and the con starts on 2-Sep.

>Spring, last time I checked, started on 22-Sep in the Southern
>Hemisphere.

Not in Oz, it doesn't. In Oz the seasons officially start on 1-Mar,
1-Jun, 1-Sep and 1-Dec.

Zev Sero

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
On 11 Aug 1998 20:12, Gary Farber <gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote:
>Ulrika <ulr...@aol.com> wrote:
>: In article <35CF9D...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> writes:

>:>That would average out to my view. Kind of subdued, I'd call it.

>: You were there? Bastard. Where the hell were you???

>: Um. Which is to say, golly Steve, sure sorry I missed meeting
>: you.

>Yeah, I only saw him and Elizabeth by fluke, for about four minutes, while
>our paths crossed in the main Con Center area, near registration, one
>afternoon. Never saw them again, sigh.

I also saw them once, for about ten seconds. I was walking out of
somewhere, and they were walking in, but I can't remember where or
when.

Tom Galloway

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
In article <35D0F9...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:
>Gary Farber wrote:
>> In <tygExI...@netcom.com> Tom Galloway <t...@netcom.com> wrote:
>> : And it wasn't only that. There was also an elderly author who had to be
>> : removed from the audience due to feeling dizzy/faint.
>> Jack Williamson, right?
>Yes, that's who it was. As he is all of 90 years old, I'm
>not shocked that he might leave early. I'm not sure what
>point Tom is making, but Williamson's departure in no visible
>way interfered with the proceedings. I have no inside info

It delayed the proceedings somewhat. It was handled quickly, correctly,
and without calling too much attention to it, but I'm pretty sure it
caused a pause of a couple of minutes as people attended to the situation.
And that was the whole point of the post; in addition to the light cues,
there were several other incidents causing delays during this masquerade
and leading Marty to keep decending further and further into his stock
of vampire jokes.

As a side note, I didn't see any particular point in mentioning the name.
In retrospect, I shouldn't have specified "author". Since, fortunately,
he was OK, it's not really of signifiance to others that it happened to
this particular person.

tyg t...@netcom.com

Zev Sero

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
On Tue, 11 Aug 1998 22:37:29 -0400, Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:

>> I also saw them once, for about ten seconds. I was walking out of
>> somewhere, and they were walking in, but I can't remember where or
>> when.
>

>Well, we saw you _twice_. Once when you were entering the
>center on Friday, then again at the Omni when you were
>hollering for minyan volunteers. But, it was only during
>our second sighting that we got your attention.

Oh, so that's when it was; thanks for jogging my memory. You were
walking out of the movies, right? I'm sorry I didn't have time to
talk longer. There were people waiting upstairs, including two
people who wanted to say kaddish, so I needed to find some volunteers
of the right nationality and sex fairly quickly.

David G. Bell

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
In article <35ebfa9d...@news.idt.net> zs...@bigfoot.com "Zev Sero" writes:

> On 11 Aug 1998 16:27, e...@hobcs1.mt.lucent.com (Evelyn C. Leeper) wrote:
> >Zev Sero <zs...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> >> Well, spring. Spring starts on 1-Sep and the con starts on 2-Sep.
>
> >Spring, last time I checked, started on 22-Sep in the Southern
> >Hemisphere.
>
> Not in Oz, it doesn't. In Oz the seasons officially start on 1-Mar,
> 1-Jun, 1-Sep and 1-Dec.

There are times when I think that fixing the seasons according to the
equinoxes and solstices is, in some practical ways, a little wrong. I'm
not sure that I would start Spring quite so early, but those dates do
seem to be a better approximation to the transitions.

--
David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, and Punslinger.

Gary Farber

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
In <35D0FF...@erols.com> Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:
[. . .]

: Next time, let's have an NYC Chapter Raseff party.

Well, most of us *were* hanging out in the Fan Lounge much of the time.
And there were Moshe Feder and Lise Eisenberg's several traditional
parties, on the first couple of nights, and on Sunday night.

It occurred to me, too late, to consider the possibility of a Sticker For
Us, but then, it really doesn't seem terribly necessary, either. And, of
course, some of us did have Marilee's Bookworm stickers, or the buttons
someone else (Nancy?) had done.

Brenda Daverin

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
In article <902912...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>, db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk
wrote:

I seem to recall in my studies that at least one tribe of pagan Europeans
were of the opinion that the solstices and equinoxes were actually the
halfway point between the season changes and not the demarcation points
for same. Australia's dates for the seasonal transitions are only one
month off of the synced-to-Gregorian Celtic seasonal marker days of Imbolc
(Feb 2), Beltane (May 1), Lughnasadh (Aug 2) and Samhain (Nov 1), allowing
for the hemisphere flip-flop. I think it's closer to reality, too.

--
Brenda Daverin
bdav...@best.com

Rob Hansen

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
On 11 Aug 1998 20:12:35 GMT, Gary Farber <gfa...@panix2.panix.com>
wrote:

>In <199808111130...@ladder03.news.aol.com>

>Ulrika <ulr...@aol.com> wrote:
>: In article <35CF9D...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> writes:
>
>:>That would average out to my view. Kind of subdued, I'd call it.
>
>: You were there? Bastard. Where the hell were you???
>
>: Um. Which is to say, golly Steve, sure sorry I missed meeting
>: you.
>
>Yeah, I only saw him and Elizabeth by fluke, for about four minutes, while
>our paths crossed in the main Con Center area, near registration, one
>afternoon. Never saw them again, sigh.

So, remind me again; just *why* do you guys like these big cons?
If I couldn't find the people I went to a con to see it would pretty
much be a washout for me.

Rob Hansen
My Home Page: http://www.fiawol.demon.co.uk/rob/
Feminists Against Censorship:
http://www.fiawol.demon.co.uk/FAC/

John Lorentz

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
Elisabeth Carey <lis....@mediaone.net> wrote in article
<35D0C77B...@mediaone.net>...

> I think I saw an empty box where the tee-shirts used to be, but I'll
> check.

They were very much gone by the time that Ruth and I got to the party (two
empty boxes--I stacked them up to make for a little bit more room).

> > Why do we hold Worldcons in summer, again? (I ask this every year I
> > attend one.)
>

> Tradition. Fans love tradition. Also, it's easier to get facilities
> when no _other_ group is crazy enough to want to be someplace. IOW,
> we're cheap.

On the other hand, I've love (as I mentioned to Ruth) to go to a Worldcon
where it was _colder_ than usual--say one day of 60 degrees and raining...

(But then, I handle "cold" a lot better than "hot".)

> My first Worldcon was Noreascon Two. I just barely missed having
> Noreascon One as my first Worldcon: my first con was Boskone in 1980;
> I was told about Worldcon coming to Boston later that years, but I
> hadn't yet figure out this Fannish Stuff sufficiently to realize I
> wanted to attend. It was the following Boskone, in 1981, when I
> figured out that I'd made a mistake and missed something I _really_
> wanted to attend.
>
> Live and learn.:)

Add one to your baseline--1980 was Noreascon Two and 1989 was Noreascon
Three.

My first worldcon was Iggie, and I remember the announcement that Boston
had won the site selection vote and memberships were going on sale then.
If I'd realized that I'd be heading to Boston in 1980, I would have saved
some money and bought my membership then. But then, I didn't realize that
there even _was_ a site selection vote going on at Iggie.

--
John

David G. Bell

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
In article <35d8b746...@news.demon.co.uk>
r...@fiawol.demon.co.uk "Rob Hansen" writes:

> On 11 Aug 1998 20:12:35 GMT, Gary Farber <gfa...@panix2.panix.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In <199808111130...@ladder03.news.aol.com>
> >Ulrika <ulr...@aol.com> wrote:
> >: In article <35CF9D...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> writes:
> >
> >:>That would average out to my view. Kind of subdued, I'd call it.
> >
> >: You were there? Bastard. Where the hell were you???
> >
> >: Um. Which is to say, golly Steve, sure sorry I missed meeting
> >: you.
> >
> >Yeah, I only saw him and Elizabeth by fluke, for about four minutes, while
> >our paths crossed in the main Con Center area, near registration, one
> >afternoon. Never saw them again, sigh.
>
> So, remind me again; just *why* do you guys like these big cons?
> If I couldn't find the people I went to a con to see it would pretty
> much be a washout for me.

Likewise.

And the only time I went to a Worldcon, the people I usually chat with
were being run off their feet as con staff.

I ended up chatting up two American trekkies....

Marilee J. Layman

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
In <6qrrr3$5...@news1.panix.com>, Gary Farber
<gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote:

>In <35D0FF...@erols.com> Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:
>[. . .]
>
>: Next time, let's have an NYC Chapter Raseff party.
>
>Well, most of us *were* hanging out in the Fan Lounge much of the time.

Except the night *I* managed to get there, of course.

>It occurred to me, too late, to consider the possibility of a Sticker For
>Us, but then, it really doesn't seem terribly necessary, either. And, of
>course, some of us did have Marilee's Bookworm stickers, or the buttons
>someone else (Nancy?) had done.

Yes, and since I never got back to the Fan Lounge, I still have large
batches of the Bookworm stickers. I was thinking of sending some to
Geri for distribution. I don't know why, but I kind of think of her
as a center for fannish activity.

--
Marilee J. Layman Co-Leader, The Other*Worlds*Cafe
relm...@aol.com A Science Fiction Discussion Group
*New* Web site: http://www.webmoose.com/owc/
AOL keyword: BOOKs > Books Community > The Other*Worlds*Cafe (listbox)

RSmith2678

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
In article <35d15e05...@news.erols.com>, mjla...@erols.com (Marilee J.
Layman) writes:

> After we
>dropped those at the art show, we wandered off to the Hilton to meet
>the others and wait for the fan lounge to open. Madle's interview ran
>late, and the lounge opened late, and there wasn't anybody we knew
>there, so after making some small talk, I went to bed and the others
>went on to parties.

Well, gee. I was in the fan lounge at the time and you were certainly
one of the people I was hoping to meet. Maybe I was too busy putting
out goodies or sorting old fanzines? Patrick and Teresa came by later
that evening and were there until the wee hours of the morning.

--Randy Smith
RSmit...@aol.com or randy...@navix.net

--The Guy From Nebraska

Stevens

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
Tom Galloway wrote:
> In article <35D0F9...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:
> >Gary Farber wrote:

> >> Jack Williamson, right?

> >I'm not sure what
> >point Tom is making, but Williamson's departure in no visible
> >way interfered with the proceedings.

> It delayed the proceedings somewhat.

That's not what I remember, but I could easily be wrong.

> As a side note, I didn't see any particular point in mentioning the name.

Fair point; anyone can need help. FWIW, whatever pause
his departure caused might not have resulted if he had
been seated in the back, and one had to be Someone Special
to be in the first four rows.

Stevens

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
Marilee J. Layman wrote:
> <gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote:
> >In <35D0FF...@erols.com> Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:

> >: Next time, let's have an NYC Chapter Raseff party.

> >Well, most of us *were* hanging out in the Fan Lounge much of the time.

> Yes, and since I never got back to the Fan Lounge, I still have large

> batches of the Bookworm stickers.

The "Fan Lounge"? Was that the space outside the dealers' room,
with the three-dollar hotdogs?

Stevens

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
David G. Bell wrote:
> r...@fiawol.demon.co.uk "Rob Hansen" writes:

> > If I couldn't find the people I went to a con to see it would pretty
> > much be a washout for me.

That's flattering, Rob. But I don't think anyone went to
this con to see me.

> Likewise.

OTOH, there are those of us who go to these things to have
experiences we've not had before. In nearly all cases,
this means meeting people we do _not_ know.

Geri Sullivan

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
Marilee J. Layman wrote:

> Yes, and since I never got back to the Fan Lounge, I still have large
> batches of the Bookworm stickers. I was thinking of sending some to
> Geri for distribution. I don't know why, but I kind of think of her
> as a center for fannish activity.

<blush>

I'd be honored, and happy to spread some bookworms around.

We put bunches o'penguins on Minicon progress reports, and some koalas
and kangaroos that David Russell sent from Australia some time back. I
hope to be at Flashback, Orycon, and Smofcon yet this year, so I'll be
seeing a fair number of people who might enjoy wearing bookworms on
their name badges.

Geri [gonna be really embarrassed if you're thinking of another Geri]
--
Geri Sullivan g...@toad-hall.com
===================================

Mary Kay Kare

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
In article <35CF9D...@erols.com>, just...@erols.com wrote:

> The panels included a number of topics I found interesting,
> but the panelists often seemed ill-at-ease with their
> topics. For example, David Cherry had to be told from the
> audience, at "Legal Systems of the Future," that the United
> States has virtually abandoned state efforts at the
> rehabilitation of sex offenders (which he offered as the
> first thing he wished it would stop diverting resources
> into).

I was sort of surprised to see David's name on that panel. He hasn't
practiced law since about 1980--at least not full time. I'm not sure why
he agreed to do it.

MK

--
Mary Kay Kare

Abandon hope all ye who
Press Enter Here.

Bernard Peek

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
In article <35d8b746...@news.demon.co.uk>, Rob Hansen
<r...@fiawol.demon.co.uk> writes

>So, remind me again; just *why* do you guys like these big cons?

>If I couldn't find the people I went to a con to see it would pretty
>much be a washout for me.

It's a simple choice really. If you go to a large con then everyone you
want to talk to is there, somewhere, and you'll get a chance to talk to
some of them. If you go to a small con you can talk to all of the people
who are there, but most of the people you might want to talk to are
somewhere else. If they were all there it wouldn't be a small
convention.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

Zev Sero

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 21:06:57 -0400, Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:

>The "Fan Lounge"? Was that the space outside the dealers' room,
>with the three-dollar hotdogs?

No, it was in the Hilton. Near the Gay Fandom suite, and just over
the bridge from the Omni, but not near very much else.

Stephen Boucher

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In article <6qpepa$bvu$1...@camel15.mindspring.com>,

Perrianne Lurie <bucc...@pipeline.com> wrote:
>Gary Farber <gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote:
>
>>In <35CFB725...@mediaone.net>
>>Why do we hold Worldcons in summer, again? (I ask this every year I
>>attend one.)
>
>Of course, this won't be a problem next year, since September in
>Melbourne is WINTER.

SPRING :)

And let me tell you it was wonderful to get back this morning to 14C
after spending the last week ducking from one air conditioned building
to another.

Stephen

Zev Sero

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:00:15, r...@fiawol.demon.co.uk (Rob Hansen) wrote:

>So, remind me again; just *why* do you guys like these big cons?
>If I couldn't find the people I went to a con to see it would pretty
>much be a washout for me.

Because we *do* see lots of the people we came to see; just not all
of them.

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98

From: Stevens <just...@erols.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 21:06:57 -0400

Marilee J. Layman wrote:
> <gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote:

> >Well, most of us *were* hanging out in the Fan Lounge much of the time.

> Yes, and since I never got back to the Fan Lounge, I still have large

> batches of the Bookworm stickers.

The "Fan Lounge"? Was that the space outside the dealers' room,
with the three-dollar hotdogs?

That was originally designated to be the daytime fan lounge, and have
programming, too. We decided very quickly that this would make the
SECC (sp?) look good (not only no ceiling, but no walls, not even
curtains) and the Hilton space was available, so we just shifted over
and stayed, sacrificing the comfy chairs. The curtains for the area
got lost in the shuffle, and adding them at the time would apparently
been horribly expensive, so....

73, doug

Who was fan lounge host at opening and closing on Wednesday, and
certified fan lounge loafer the rest of the con.

Ulrika

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
Hansen) writes:

>So, remind me again; just *why* do you guys like these big cons?
>If I couldn't find the people I went to a con to see it would pretty
>much be a washout for me.

Look, you're preaching to the /q/u/i/r/e/ converted here, Rob.
I would by and large prefer a much smaller convention that
I could still count on seeing most of the same fannish draw at.
But I have to admit that I had much better luck finding people
at Bucky than I feared -- perhaps this is a matter of low expectations.
There were certainly several people whom I either only saw once
or twice during the run of the convention, or not at all, despite
their being there. But that happened at Intuition, too. I think it
would have been a lot better if the fan lounge had been larger
and better located, and also if the Hilton bar had been larger
and/or less crowded, but there were lots of people I did manage
to see and hang out with, and on the whole I had a better time
than several other Worldcons I could name. I guess I'm saying
that for me, for a Worldcon, it was pretty good.

--Ulrika
"Yes, indeed, the Lord is a shoving leopard." -- Rev. W.A. Spooner
** Ulrika O'Brien-...@aol.com**

Ulrika

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In article <35d2f5f0...@news.erols.com>, mjla...@erols.com (Marilee J.
Layman) writes:

>Yes, and since I never got back to the Fan Lounge, I still have large

>batches of the Bookworm stickers. I was thinking of sending some to
>Geri for distribution. I don't know why, but I kind of think of her
>as a center for fannish activity.

Sounds like an NPR sponsor: The Sullivan Center for Fannish Activity.
I wonder if we can get her a MacArthur grant?

Ulrika

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In article <35D23C...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> writes:

>That's flattering, Rob. But I don't think anyone went to
>this con to see me.

Exclusively? No. Would I have liked a chance to do it
while I was on the same coast? Hell, yes. Grumble.

Ben Yalow

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In article <35d8b746...@news.demon.co.uk>,

r...@fiawol.demon.co.uk (Rob Hansen) wrote:
>On 11 Aug 1998 20:12:35 GMT, Gary Farber <gfa...@panix2.panix.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Yeah, I only saw him and Elizabeth by fluke, for about four minutes, while
>>our paths crossed in the main Con Center area, near registration, one
>>afternoon. Never saw them again, sigh.
>
>So, remind me again; just *why* do you guys like these big cons?
>If I couldn't find the people I went to a con to see it would pretty
>much be a washout for me.

Because you get to see some of them -- just not all of them.

Because on (I think) Friday, I had lunch with Ulrika O'Brien and Terry Frost,
and on Sunday, I went to dinner with Janice Gelb and KIM Campbell. I can't
think of any convention other than a Worldcon that would have allowed for
both of those combinations, and most cons wouldn't have allowed either one.

>Rob Hansen

Ben

------
Ben Yalow yb...@panix.com
Not speaking for anybody

David G. Bell

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In article <nS6ZdDA5...@shrdlu.com>
Ber...@shrdlu.com "Bernard Peek" writes:

> In article <35d8b746...@news.demon.co.uk>, Rob Hansen
> <r...@fiawol.demon.co.uk> writes
>

> >So, remind me again; just *why* do you guys like these big cons?
> >If I couldn't find the people I went to a con to see it would pretty
> >much be a washout for me.
>

> It's a simple choice really. If you go to a large con then everyone you
> want to talk to is there, somewhere, and you'll get a chance to talk to
> some of them. If you go to a small con you can talk to all of the people
> who are there, but most of the people you might want to talk to are
> somewhere else. If they were all there it wouldn't be a small
> convention.

Define "small" and "large".

Compare and contrast convention sizes in the UK and the USA, with
particular reference to the Eastercon and either the Worldcon or the
NASFiC.

Write on only one side of the screen at the same time.

Perrianne Lurie

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:

>Fair point; anyone can need help. FWIW, whatever pause
>his departure caused might not have resulted if he had
>been seated in the back, and one had to be Someone Special
>to be in the first four rows.

Only the first four rows in the center section (behind the judges)
were reserved for "Special" people, plus a few seats in the front row
on the sides for those with limited vision or in need of sign language
interpretation. Of all the masquerades I've worked (nearly all of them
since ConFiction), there were probably the FEWEST number of reserved
seats at this one. The "reserved" seats for others with disabilities,
the press, and late-working committee and staff were NOT in the front
rows.

Perrianne Lurie
BucCONeer, the 56-th World Science Fiction Convention
August 5-9, 1998, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
P.O. Box 314, Annapolis Junction, MD 20701
bucc...@bucconeer.worldcon.org
http://www.bucconeer.worldcon.org

Personal E-mail: bucc...@pipeline.com

Jonathan J. Baker

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In < Stevens <just...@erols.com> writes:
>Marilee J. Layman wrote:
>> <gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote:
>> >In <> Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:

>> >: Next time, let's have an NYC Chapter Raseff party.

>> >Well, most of us *were* hanging out in the Fan Lounge much of the time.

>> Yes, and since I never got back to the Fan Lounge, I still have large

>> batches of the Bookworm stickers.

>The "Fan Lounge"? Was that the space outside the dealers' room,
>with the three-dollar hotdogs?

No, the Fan Lounge was a room on the mezzanine of the Hilton, just
past the bridge to the Omni. There was a fanzine display there,
some historical ones in plastic covers, some recent ones for sale,
other recent ones as freebies, and a lot of chairs and a sofa. We
collated APA-NYU there on Thursnight. It's where I met Ulrika.

--
Jonathan Baker
jjb...@panix.com

ly...@access4.digex.net

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In article <902945...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>,

David G. Bell <db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <35d8b746...@news.demon.co.uk>
> r...@fiawol.demon.co.uk "Rob Hansen" writes:
>
>> On 11 Aug 1998 20:12:35 GMT, Gary Farber <gfa...@panix2.panix.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In <199808111130...@ladder03.news.aol.com>
>> >Ulrika <ulr...@aol.com> wrote:
>> >: In article <35CF9D...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> writes:
>> >
>> >:>That would average out to my view. Kind of subdued, I'd call it.
>> >
>> >: You were there? Bastard. Where the hell were you???
>> >
>> >: Um. Which is to say, golly Steve, sure sorry I missed meeting
>> >: you.
>> >
>> >Yeah, I only saw him and Elizabeth by fluke, for about four minutes, while
>> >our paths crossed in the main Con Center area, near registration, one
>> >afternoon. Never saw them again, sigh.
>>
>> So, remind me again; just *why* do you guys like these big cons?
>> If I couldn't find the people I went to a con to see it would pretty
>> much be a washout for me.
>
>Likewise.
>
>And the only time I went to a Worldcon, the people I usually chat with
>were being run off their feet as con staff.
>
>I ended up chatting up two American trekkies....

I think you are overreacting. Even though Worldcons are large
get-togethers, they're not *that* large. There are still only a few
thousand people mostly in a confined area; it's not as if you're trying to
locate someone in all of New York City.

There were lots of people I looked forward to seeing at Bucconeer. I
found every one of them, reasonably easily.

Rich

MIMOSA website: http://www.smithway.org/mimosa <-- M22 now online
Eurodiary site: http://www.smithway.org/eurodiary
http://www.smithway.org/eurodiary2
Russia 94 site: http://www.smithway.org/russia94

Evelyn C. Leeper

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In article <FAUNT.98A...@netcom19.netcom.com>,

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <fa...@netcom19.netcom.com> wrote:

> The "Fan Lounge"? Was that the space outside the dealers' room,
> with the three-dollar hotdogs?
>
> That was originally designated to be the daytime fan lounge, and have
> programming, too. We decided very quickly that this would make the
> SECC (sp?) look good (not only no ceiling, but no walls, not even
> curtains) and the Hilton space was available, so we just shifted over
> and stayed, sacrificing the comfy chairs. The curtains for the area
> got lost in the shuffle, and adding them at the time would apparently
> been horribly expensive, so....

Well, what *I* was told (by Laurie Mann) was that although the concept
of the Fan Lounge had been moved to the Hilton, the Fan Programming
originally scheduled for the Convention Center was still being held
there. Of course, this was after I didn't go to the panel I was on on
fanzines because I had agreed to a panel in the Convention Center and
didn't have time to walk all the way to the Hilton and back. Apologies
to my numerous fans who showed up only to find I wasn't there. :-) :-)
--
Evelyn C. Leeper | ele...@lucent.com
+1 732 957 2070 | http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4824
All work and no play makes Jack a valued employee.

Julie Holm

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
ly...@access4.digex.net wrote:

> I think you are overreacting. Even though Worldcons are large
> get-togethers, they're not *that* large. There are still only a few
> thousand people mostly in a confined area; it's not as if you're trying to
> locate someone in all of New York City.

> There were lots of people I looked forward to seeing at Bucconeer. I
> found every one of them, reasonably easily.

Me too. I found all the people I was looking for, and ran into some folks
I wasn't expecting.

The message board DID help, if you used it.

Julie

Ulrika

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In article <6qusa9$9...@access4.digex.net>, ly...@access4.digex.net writes:

>There were lots of people I looked forward to seeing at Bucconeer. I
>found every one of them, reasonably easily.

This is at variance with my experience of Bucky. It is wildly
at variance with my experience of some other Worldcons.
I don't think I've ever been to a Worldcon where I have managed
to find every person I was hoping to see -- perhaps I'm too
ambitious, I don't know -- and I've certainly been to more than
one Worldcon where I barely managed to find anyone I
wanted to see. What distinguished this Worldcon from others
for me was that serendipity seemed to be working mostly
in my favor for a change -- I had no idea either Jim Young or
Janet Wilkins would be at Bucky, yet I managed to find both
of them, at least briefly, so I was pleased about that.

Gary Farber

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In <35D23C...@erols.com> Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:

: Marilee J. Layman wrote:
:> <gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote:
:> >In <35D0FF...@erols.com> Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:

:> >: Next time, let's have an NYC Chapter Raseff party.

:> >Well, most of us *were* hanging out in the Fan Lounge much of the time.

:> Yes, and since I never got back to the Fan Lounge, I still have large
:> batches of the Bookworm stickers.

: The "Fan Lounge"? Was that the space outside the dealers' room,
: with the three-dollar hotdogs?

No, it was in the Hilton, as mentioned in the Daily Newsletter and Program
Update Sheets, and as I told you was where we were hanging out when I saw
you, as well as mentioned numerous times in advance of the con on this
newsgroup. (I was pleased to see that Peggy Rae's Chair's Message, the
first piece of text in the Progr^H^H^H^H^H Souvenir Book, told people to
check out the Fan Lounge.)

--
Copyright 1998 by Gary Farber; Web Researcher; Nonfiction Writer,
Fiction and Nonfiction Editor; gfa...@panix.com; B'klyn, NYC, US

Gary Farber

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In <36005b69....@news.idt.net> Zev Sero <zs...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
: On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 21:06:57 -0400, Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:

:>The "Fan Lounge"? Was that the space outside the dealers' room,
:>with the three-dollar hotdogs?

: No, it was in the Hilton. Near the Gay Fandom suite, and just over

: the bridge from the Omni, but not near very much else.

Well, for the record, aside from being near the Hilton bar, it was just
down the hall from the Anime Room, and upstairs via elevator were the SFWA
and ASFA suites.

I never did cross the threshold into the Omni. Meant to get there for
Victor and Sheila's party on Sunday night, but I was having a good time at
Lise and Moshe's, and it was Such A Schlep.

I also was only in the Marriott once, when I got my "Temp" registration
Wednesday night. (Not being impressed that the evening registration was
only open for forty-five minutes, from 8:30 p.m. to 9:15 p.m., when they
ran out of Temp badges; I got the third from last badge. I was also
staggered that Peggy Rae said, at a Gripe Session, that it had never,
ever, ever, crossed her mind, in her wildest dreams, that anyone might
want to register Tuesday night; this seemed extremely peculiar to me.)

Gary Farber

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
: David G. Bell wrote:
:> r...@fiawol.demon.co.uk "Rob Hansen" writes:

:> > If I couldn't find the people I went to a con to see it would pretty

:> > much be a washout for me.

: That's flattering, Rob. But I don't think anyone went to

: this con to see me.

Of course we did: we went to the con to see our friends. You are among
our friends. QED. We didn't, however, go to the con *just* to see you.

:> Likewise.

: OTOH, there are those of us who go to these things to have
: experiences we've not had before. In nearly all cases,
: this means meeting people we do _not_ know.

"We go to the con to meet our good friends, including those we haven't met
yet."

Kim Campbell

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In article <6qtmm9$kjp$1...@news.mel.aone.net.au>, ste...@mtiame.mtia.asn.au
(Stephen Boucher) wrote:

> Perrianne Lurie <bucc...@pipeline.com> wrote:
> >Of course, this won't be a problem next year, since September in
> >Melbourne is WINTER.
>
> SPRING :)
>
> And let me tell you it was wonderful to get back this morning to 14C
> after spending the last week ducking from one air conditioned building
> to another.
>
> Stephen

*14C* ! My Ghod, that's almost up to UK summers! We're all going to fry
next year! :-)

Kim :-)
--
KIM Campbell
Convener: UK in '05

Marilee J. Layman

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In <35D253...@toad-hall.com>, Geri Sullivan <g...@toad-hall.com>
wrote:

>I'd be honored, and happy to spread some bookworms around.

<snip>

>Geri [gonna be really embarrassed if you're thinking of another Geri]

Nope, I meant you, and still have your address, so I'll get them out
soon. :) (I have an Aunt Geri (pronounced Ant in WA, but I've always
just called her Geri), but she'd be a center of neurotic activity.)

--
Marilee J. Layman Co-Leader, The Other*Worlds*Cafe
relm...@aol.com A Science Fiction Discussion Group
*New* Web site: http://www.webmoose.com/owc/
AOL keyword: BOOKs > Books Community > The Other*Worlds*Cafe (listbox)

Marilee J. Layman

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In <6qtqhd$p...@news1.panix.com>, yb...@panix.com (Ben Yalow) wrote:

>Because on (I think) Friday, I had lunch with Ulrika O'Brien and Terry Frost

I think this was Thursday, because I had been talking to y'all on the
second level and by the time I got down and into a cab (heading for a
nap at the hotel), I saw you waiting in line at the Wharf Rat.

Marilee J. Layman

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
In <199808122323...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
rsmit...@aol.com (RSmith2678) wrote:

>In article <35d15e05...@news.erols.com>, mjla...@erols.com (Marilee J.
>Layman) writes:
>
>> After we
>>dropped those at the art show, we wandered off to the Hilton to meet
>>the others and wait for the fan lounge to open. Madle's interview ran
>>late, and the lounge opened late, and there wasn't anybody we knew
>>there, so after making some small talk, I went to bed and the others
>>went on to parties.
>
>Well, gee. I was in the fan lounge at the time and you were certainly
>one of the people I was hoping to meet. Maybe I was too busy putting
>out goodies or sorting old fanzines? Patrick and Teresa came by later
>that evening and were there until the wee hours of the morning.

Ack. I thought I read all the badges. But I wouldn't have been able
to stay later, I was really dead by then.

Stevens

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
Perrianne Lurie wrote:

> Of all the masquerades I've worked (nearly all of them
> since ConFiction), there were probably the FEWEST number of reserved
> seats at this one. The "reserved" seats for others with disabilities,
> the press, and late-working committee and staff were NOT in the front
> rows.

True. However, let me add that anyone in a wheelchair was welcome
to take any aisle seat; we just yanked that chair and made them a
space. The reserved spots scattered around for them were actually
to guarantee non-wheelchaired friends of those in wheelchairs a
place where they could sit together.

Also, there were two batches of seats reserved for late-working
con staff, one of which was, albeit not in the front, in the
center section just aft of the lateral mid-section walkway.
The view from there would have been pretty good, IMHO.

--
Stevens R. Miller - Director, Technology & Online Forensics
DSFX International, Falls Church, VA - (703) 207-0600

Stevens

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
Gary Farber wrote:
> In <35D23C...@erols.com> Stevens <just...@erols.com> wrote:

> : The "Fan Lounge"? Was that the space outside the dealers' room,

> No, it was in the Hilton, as mentioned in the Daily Newsletter and Program
> Update Sheets, and as I told you was where we were hanging out when I saw
> you, as well as mentioned numerous times in advance of the con on this
> newsgroup.

Er, did I say something wrong, Gary?

Anyway, notwithstanding the other sources, page 4 of the Pocket
Program had it outside the dealers' room, and the Information
Desk said they were out of updates when we arrived on Friday.

Usenet as an authority?

Stevens

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
Gary Farber wrote:

> "We go to the con to meet our good friends, including those we haven't met
> yet."

I like that. Who said it?

Afterburner

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
ulr...@aol.com (Ulrika) sez:

>This is at variance with my experience of Bucky. It is wildly
>at variance with my experience of some other Worldcons.
>I don't think I've ever been to a Worldcon where I have managed
>to find every person I was hoping to see -- perhaps I'm too
>ambitious, I don't know -- and I've certainly been to more than
>one Worldcon where I barely managed to find anyone I
>wanted to see. What distinguished this Worldcon from others
>for me was that serendipity seemed to be working mostly
>in my favor for a change -- I had no idea either Jim Young or
>Janet Wilkins would be at Bucky, yet I managed to find both
>of them, at least briefly, so I was pleased about that.

Heh.

In my particular case, it seemed that my particular interests
coincided with some of the same folks, because I kept seeing them
repeatedly in different panels. I was beginning to wonder if I was being
followed. :)

AB
(Tinfoil hat firmly in place, thankyewverymuch)

Afterburner

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
yb...@panix.com (Ben Yalow) sez:

>Because on (I think) Friday, I had lunch with Ulrika O'Brien and Terry Frost,
>and on Sunday, I went to dinner with Janice Gelb and KIM Campbell.

Is this the matronly woman who spelled her name K.I.M.? If so, she
was a "den mother" at the Volunteer Lounge while I was volunteering there
and she was *very* nice. If you email her sometime soon, tell her A.B.
from the Volunteer Lounge said "Hi."

>Ben Yalow

You were the smiling fellow from the "Great Forgotten SF Authors"
panel, correct?

AB

Morris M. Keesan

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
On Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:36:43 -0400, Elisabeth Carey <lis....@mediaone.net>
wrote:
<snip>
>My first Worldcon was Noreascon Two. I just barely missed having
>Noreascon One as my first Worldcon: my first con was Boskone in 1980;
>I was told about Worldcon coming to Boston later that years, but I
>hadn't yet figure out this Fannish Stuff sufficiently to realize I
>wanted to attend. It was the following Boskone, in 1981, when I
>figured out that I'd made a mistake and missed something I _really_
>wanted to attend.

There was no Noreascon One, and your first Worldcon was Noreascon 3.
The first Noreascon, which had no number, was in 1971 and was my first Worldcon.
The one you missed in 1980 was Noreascon 2.
--
Morris M. Keesan -- kee...@world.std.com

Morris M. Keesan

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
On 13 Aug 1998 15:07:57 GMT, ulr...@aol.com (Ulrika) wrote:
> I had no idea either Jim Young or
>Janet Wilkins would be at Bucky, yet I managed to find both
>of them, at least briefly, so I was pleased about that.

I also wasn't expecting to see Jim, but he was one of the first people I saw
after entering the convention center for the first time (on Tuesday evening,
just too late to register). After being in an automobile accident while riding
in a taxi, I saw Jim again a few hours later at a party, and he was particularly
pleased, because having been back in the USA for only a few hours he had already
eaten a hot dog and been to a baseball game.

Evelyn C. Leeper

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <35dab712...@news.std.com>,

Morris M. Keesan <kee...@world.std.com> wrote:
> There was no Noreascon One, and your first Worldcon was Noreascon 3.
> The first Noreascon, which had no number, was in 1971 and was my first Worldcon.

Only in the same sense that there was no Queen Elizabeth I. It's not
unreasonable to distinguish Noreascon [no number] from Noreascon 2 or
Noreascon 3 by giving it a number.

Has any convention called itself [con-name] 1 the first time it was held?

Ben Yalow

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <35d38925....@news.erols.com>,

abu...@erols.com (Afterburner) wrote:
>yb...@panix.com (Ben Yalow) sez:
>
>>Because on (I think) Friday, I had lunch with Ulrika O'Brien and Terry
Frost,
>>and on Sunday, I went to dinner with Janice Gelb and KIM Campbell.
>
> Is this the matronly woman who spelled her name K.I.M.? If so, she
>was a "den mother" at the Volunteer Lounge while I was volunteering there
>and she was *very* nice. If you email her sometime soon, tell her A.B.
>from the Volunteer Lounge said "Hi."

Since she reads this newsgroup regularly (or, will again soon, after she
recovers from the delays on her trip back), she should see this posting.

>>Ben Yalow
>
> You were the smiling fellow from the "Great Forgotten SF Authors"
>panel, correct?

I was certainly on that panel -- I don't remember if I was smiling. But I
hope you enjoyed the panel -- it was a fun one to do.

> AB

John Lorentz

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
Gary Farber <gfa...@panix2.panix.com> wrote in article
<6qv8ci$9...@news1.panix.com>...
> ...I was also

> staggered that Peggy Rae said, at a Gripe Session, that it had never,
> ever, ever, crossed her mind, in her wildest dreams, that anyone might
> want to register Tuesday night; this seemed extremely peculiar to me.)

That boggles my mind, also--especially since there was much discussion last
year immediately after LSC in planning for this year's Reg. One thing I'm
certain we discussed was the necessity of having some kind of Reg open on
Tuesday evening.

(Of course, with the then-head of At-Con Reg--TR--now in Siberia, it's not
surprising that a few things fell through the cracks.)

--John

John Lorentz

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
"Kim Campbell" <kcam...@cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote in article
<Exn70...@cix.compulink.co.uk>...

> In article <6qtmm9$kjp$1...@news.mel.aone.net.au>,
ste...@mtiame.mtia.asn.au
> (Stephen Boucher) wrote:
> > Perrianne Lurie <bucc...@pipeline.com> wrote:
> > >Of course, this won't be a problem next year, since September in
> > >Melbourne is WINTER.
> >
> > SPRING :)
> >
> > And let me tell you it was wonderful to get back this morning to 14C
> > after spending the last week ducking from one air conditioned building
> > to another.
> >
> > Stephen
> >
> *14C* ! My Ghod, that's almost up to UK summers! We're all going to fry

> next year! :-)

It figures--we finally get a _cool_ worldcon, and it's one I can't afford
to go to...

(So, Kim--did you catch your connection in Detroit on Monday?)

--John

Kim Campbell

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
(Afterburner) wrote:

> yb...@panix.com (Ben Yalow) sez:
>
> >Because on (I think) Friday, I had lunch with Ulrika O'Brien and Terry
Frost, > >and on Sunday, I went to dinner with Janice Gelb and KIM
Campbell.>
> Is this the matronly woman who spelled her name K.I.M.?

It is, indeed that same "matronly woman", although around here, we spell
that 's t a t u e s q u e', and I do use K.I.M. on badges and memberlists
to avoid confusion with other Kim Campbells.

>If so, she
> was a "den mother" at the Volunteer Lounge while I was volunteering there
> and she was *very* nice. If you email her sometime soon, tell her A.B.
> from the Volunteer Lounge said "Hi."

I was delighted to meet you, too, (Cries of "Fresh Blood" echoed around
the room.). You, or anyone else, may mail me on the above address anytime.

Kim :-) <-informal mode

Afterburner

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
kcam...@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Kim Campbell") sez:

>> Is this the matronly woman who spelled her name K.I.M.?
>It is, indeed that same "matronly woman", although around here, we spell
>that 's t a t u e s q u e'

As a dedicated admirer of statuesque women, I can assure you
there was no insult impled with the phrase "matronly." One of my
biggest gripes with American culture is that there is no word in
American jargon which means "attractively full figured." Our
advertising media has successfully convinced large portions of the
populace that "attractive" and "full-figured" are mutually exclusive
terms, and that if one has more padded curves than one has bones or
muscle sticking out, one should be ashamed of oneself and seek to
rectify the situation as quickly as possible.

In the same vein, while having this discussion with a
supermarket clerk once, she informed me that she prefered the phrase
"woman of substance."

I like that phrase. :)

>I was delighted to meet you, too, (Cries of "Fresh Blood" echoed around
>the room.). You, or anyone else, may mail me on the above address anytime.

Right-0!

AB

Aahz Maruch

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <35d47f86....@news.erols.com>,

Afterburner <abu...@erols.com> wrote:

>As a dedicated admirer of statuesque women, I can assure you there was
>no insult impled with the phrase "matronly." One of my biggest gripes
>with American culture is that there is no word in American jargon
>which means "attractively full figured." Our advertising media has
>successfully convinced large portions of the populace that "attractive"
>and "full-figured" are mutually exclusive terms, and that if one has
>more padded curves than one has bones or muscle sticking out, one
>should be ashamed of oneself and seek to rectify the situation as
>quickly as possible.

"Rubenesque" and "zaftig" come to mind. Although I'm not exactly an FA
(Fat Admirer, aka chubby chaser), I've yet to have a relationship with a
thin woman.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 <*> -=> http://www.rahul.net/aahz
Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het

"It's 106 miles to Chicago. We have a full tank of gas, a half-pack of
cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." "Hit it."

Bernard Peek

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <35d47f86....@news.erols.com>, Afterburner
<abu...@erols.com> writes

>kcam...@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Kim Campbell") sez:
>

>>> Is this the matronly woman who spelled her name K.I.M.?
>>It is, indeed that same "matronly woman", although around here, we spell
>>that 's t a t u e s q u e'
>
> As a dedicated admirer of statuesque women, I can assure you
>there was no insult impled with the phrase "matronly." One of my
>biggest gripes with American culture is that there is no word in
>American jargon which means "attractively full figured." Our
>advertising media has successfully convinced large portions of the
>populace that "attractive" and "full-figured" are mutually exclusive
>terms, and that if one has more padded curves than one has bones or
>muscle sticking out, one should be ashamed of oneself and seek to
>rectify the situation as quickly as possible.

Nice catch.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

Brenda Daverin

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <6r1b3t$f...@nntpa.cb.lucent.com>, ele...@lucent.com wrote:

> In article <35dab712...@news.std.com>,
> Morris M. Keesan <kee...@world.std.com> wrote:
> > There was no Noreascon One, and your first Worldcon was Noreascon 3.
> > The first Noreascon, which had no number, was in 1971 and was my first
Worldcon.

> Only in the same sense that there was no Queen Elizabeth I. It's not
> unreasonable to distinguish Noreascon [no number] from Noreascon 2 or
> Noreascon 3 by giving it a number.
>
> Has any convention called itself [con-name] 1 the first time it was held?

I'd say ConFurence did, but its first convening was actually referred to
as ConFurence 0. So there was a specifically labeled ConFurence 1, but it
was the second time the event was held. I can't remember if the
little-noted and lightly attended CossackCon 1 was called such. We did
have a CossackCon 2, though. No 3, but that's a different discussion.

--
Brenda Daverin
bdav...@best.com
"Usenet is just email with witnesses." -- Rob Hansen

Mary Kay Kare

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <aahzExo...@netcom.com>, aa...@netcom.com (Aahz Maruch) wrote:

> "It's 106 miles to Chicago. We have a full tank of gas, a half-pack of
> cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." "Hit it."

My very favorite line from that movie! Did you see it recently on
tv--I've seen bits and pieces of it at least twice recently on the box.

MK

--
Mary Kay Kare

Abandon hope all ye who
Press Enter Here.

Joyce Carroll

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
On Fri, 14 Aug 1998 18:42:36 GMT, Aahz Maruch <aa...@netcom.com> wrote:
>In article <35d47f86....@news.erols.com>,
>Afterburner <abu...@erols.com> wrote:
>>
>>As a dedicated admirer of statuesque women, I can assure you there was
>>no insult impled with the phrase "matronly." One of my biggest gripes
>>with American culture is that there is no word in American jargon
>>which means "attractively full figured." Our advertising media has
>>successfully convinced large portions of the populace that "attractive"
>>and "full-figured" are mutually exclusive terms, and that if one has
>>more padded curves than one has bones or muscle sticking out, one
>>should be ashamed of oneself and seek to rectify the situation as
>>quickly as possible.
>
>"Rubenesque" and "zaftig" come to mind. Although I'm not exactly an FA
>(Fat Admirer, aka chubby chaser), I've yet to have a relationship with a
>thin woman.

"Rubenesque" and "zaftig" are usually the ones I use. And I since I fall
in that catagory (or at least my husband tells me I do), I much prefer
those terms over Fat Lady.

Happy, Happy, Joyce | Member: Philadelphia Science Fiction Society |
Joyce Carroll Grace | New England Science Fiction Association |
car...@netaxs.com | Lunatic Phrynge Chapter of the |
jgr...@nine.com | International Costumer's Guild |

Afterburner

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
aa...@netcom.com (Aahz Maruch) sez:

>"Rubenesque" and "zaftig" come to mind.

Yah, but "zaftig" isn't really part of American culture. And
neither are used with any frequency. (And even when they do, there's
always the tacit assumption that you're saying "rubenesque" as a "nice" way
of saying "fat.")

AB

Mary Kay Kare

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <199808111130...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
ulr...@aol.com (Ulrika) wrote:

> In article <35CF9D...@erols.com>, Stevens <just...@erols.com> writes:
>
> >That would average out to my view. Kind of subdued, I'd call it.
>
> You were there? Bastard. Where the hell were you???
>
> Um. Which is to say, golly Steve, sure sorry I missed meeting
> you.

Doubled in spades. I hardly saw any of the people I'd hoped to. My own
fault really. I retired after the 93 worldcon but let Kathryn sucker me
back into this one with a small simple easy job. But being out of
practice at saying no thank you very much, I ended up with 2 more and that
doesn't even count the bid... I did get to meet Lawrence Watt-Evans and
have a nice quiet chat with him. Most enjoyable.

Mary Kay Kare

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <199808122323...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
rsmit...@aol.com (RSmith2678) wrote:

> In article <35d15e05...@news.erols.com>, mjla...@erols.com (Marilee J.
> Layman) writes:
>
> > After we
> >dropped those at the art show, we wandered off to the Hilton to meet
> >the others and wait for the fan lounge to open. Madle's interview ran
> >late, and the lounge opened late, and there wasn't anybody we knew
> >there, so after making some small talk, I went to bed and the others
> >went on to parties.
>
> Well, gee. I was in the fan lounge at the time and you were certainly
> one of the people I was hoping to meet. Maybe I was too busy putting
> out goodies or sorting old fanzines? Patrick and Teresa came by later
> that evening and were there until the wee hours of the morning.

Sigh. Would that the fan lounge hadn't been so far away. I spent my days
in the CC and my nights in the Holiday Inn with little energy to go
further. I did make it to the fan lounge Sunday afternoon...

Aahz Maruch

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <kare-14089...@ppp-asok03--129.sirius.net>,

Mary Kay Kare <ka...@sirius.com> wrote:
>In article <aahzExo...@netcom.com>, aa...@netcom.com (Aahz Maruch) wrote:
>
>> "It's 106 miles to Chicago. We have a full tank of gas, a half-pack of
>> cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." "Hit it."
>
>My very favorite line from that movie! Did you see it recently on
>tv--I've seen bits and pieces of it at least twice recently on the box.

We have it on laserdisc. Not the last time I watched it, but the time
before, I added that line to my list of .sig file quotes.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 <*> -=> http://www.rahul.net/aahz
Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het

"It's 106 miles to Chicago. We have a full tank of gas, a half-pack of

Kim Campbell

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <01bdc79b$788851e0$caac...@LORENTZ1.PLANAR.COM>,
jlor...@spiritone.com (John Lorentz) wrote:

> It figures--we finally get a _cool_ worldcon, and it's one I can't afford
> to go to...

There-in lies the advantage of being from the UK, every where is warmer!
By the way, did I mention that I am bidding for another Worldcon? Ah, I
thought I might have....

> (So, Kim--did you catch your connection in Detroit on Monday?)

Oh yes. The 'plane was kind enough to wait for me, for an hour. Then it
decided it didn't really want to go out in all that weather, so it waited
some more, meaning I missed my connection at Amsterdam. The really
strange thing, though, was that no one wanted to check my passport. Not
for any of the flights. It was as if it was sufficient that I had a dark
blue booklet of the right size and shape, so that was good enough. Very
strange.

Kim :-)

Kim Campbell

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <qLVTiAAw...@shrdlu.com>, Ber...@shrdlu.com (Bernard
Peek) wrote:

> In article <35d47f86....@news.erols.com>, Afterburner

> <abu...@erols.com> writes

> > As a dedicated admirer of statuesque women, I can assure you
> >there was no insult impled with the phrase "matronly." One of my
> >biggest gripes with American culture is that there is no word in
> >American jargon which means "attractively full figured." Our
> >advertising media has successfully convinced large portions of the
> >populace that "attractive" and "full-figured" are mutually exclusive
> >terms, and that if one has more padded curves than one has bones or
> >muscle sticking out, one should be ashamed of oneself and seek to
> >rectify the situation as quickly as possible.
>

> Nice catch.

Excellently done, I thought. :-)

Kim Campbell

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
wrote:

> In article <35d47f86....@news.erols.com>,

> Afterburner <abu...@erols.com> wrote:
> >
> >As a dedicated admirer of statuesque women, I can assure you there was
> >no insult impled with the phrase "matronly." One of my biggest gripes
> >with American culture is that there is no word in American jargon
> >which means "attractively full figured." Our advertising media has
> >successfully convinced large portions of the populace that "attractive"
> >and "full-figured" are mutually exclusive terms, and that if one has
> >more padded curves than one has bones or muscle sticking out, one
> >should be ashamed of oneself and seek to rectify the situation as
> >quickly as possible.
>

> "Rubenesque" and "zaftig" come to mind. Although I'm not exactly an FA
> (Fat Admirer, aka chubby chaser), I've yet to have a relationship with a
> thin woman.

"Rubenesque" works for me. "Zaftig", however suggests more in the line of
energy and enthusiasm, with an implication of undertall. At 1.8m, I don't
really feel this can apply to me.

And "chubby chaser" sounds down right perverted!

Kim Campbell

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <35d4a07d....@news.erols.com>, abu...@erols.com
(Afterburner) wrote:>
> Yah, but "zaftig" isn't really part of American culture. And
> neither are used with any frequency. (And even when they do, there's
> always the tacit assumption that you're saying "rubenesque" as a "nice"
way> of saying "fat.")

> AB

Maybe this is a cultural difference. Over here "rubenesque" has a much
greater feeling of healthy curves. And long red hair, but that's a
different story.

Kim :-)

In fact, the lovely Geri Sullivan is a perfect illustration of the UK
definition of Rubenesque.--

Morris M. Keesan

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <slrn6t97ur...@unix3.netaxs.com>,
Joyce Carroll <car...@netaxs.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Aug 1998 18:42:36 GMT, Aahz Maruch <aa...@netcom.com> wrote:
>>In article <35d47f86....@news.erols.com>,
<snip>

>>"Rubenesque" and "zaftig" come to mind. Although I'm not exactly an FA
>>(Fat Admirer, aka chubby chaser), I've yet to have a relationship with a
>>thin woman.
>
>"Rubenesque" and "zaftig" are usually the ones I use. And I since I fall
>in that catagory (or at least my husband tells me I do), I much prefer
>those terms over Fat Lady.

But, really, "It's not over until the zaftig woman sings" just doesn't
have the right "ring" to it.

P Nielsen Hayden

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In <35d4a07d....@news.erols.com> abu...@erols.com (Afterburner) writes:

>aa...@netcom.com (Aahz Maruch) sez:
>
>>"Rubenesque" and "zaftig" come to mind.
>

> Yah, but "zaftig" isn't really part of American culture.

_Your_ "American culture", maybe.

--
Patrick Nielsen Hayden : p...@panix.com : http://www.panix.com/~pnh

Aahz Maruch

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
In article <Exp9B...@cix.compulink.co.uk>,

Kim Campbell <kcam...@cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <aahzExo...@netcom.com>, aa...@netcom.com (Aahz Maruch)
>wrote:
>>
>> "Rubenesque" and "zaftig" come to mind. Although I'm not exactly an FA
>> (Fat Admirer, aka chubby chaser), I've yet to have a relationship with a
>> thin woman.
>
>"Rubenesque" works for me. "Zaftig", however suggests more in the line of
>energy and enthusiasm, with an implication of undertall. At 1.8m, I don't
>really feel this can apply to me.

<raised eyebrow> Are you channelling Morgan Gallagher? (I.e., I've
never heard anything like that as the definition for "zaftig".)

Michael T Pins

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
e...@hobcs1.mt.lucent.com (Evelyn C. Leeper) writes:

>Has any convention called itself [con-name] 1 the first time it was held?

From the flyers I picked up in Baltimore:
GaFilk 1
EerieCon I

So there appear to be at least two in the next year....

* Michael T Pins | mtp...@visi.com *
* keeper of the nn sources | mtp...@isca.uiowa.edu *
* ftp.isca.uiowa.edu | #include <std.disclaimer> *

Cally Soukup

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
Evelyn C. Leeper <e...@hobcs1.mt.lucent.com> wrote:
> In article <35dab712...@news.std.com>,
> Morris M. Keesan <kee...@world.std.com> wrote:
> > There was no Noreascon One, and your first Worldcon was Noreascon
> > 3. The first Noreascon, which had no number, was in 1971 and was
> > my first Worldcon.

> Only in the same sense that there was no Queen Elizabeth I. It's not
> unreasonable to distinguish Noreascon [no number] from Noreascon 2 or
> Noreascon 3 by giving it a number.

> Has any convention called itself [con-name] 1 the first time it was held?

Capricon I did. It was, of course, a play off the movie name. There
was some talk of having the next convention run by the same committee
be (some famous movie sequel like name) II, but by that time inertia
had set in, so they've been Capricons ever since. It's a medium
sized convention in the Chicago area, BTW.

--
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend
to the death your right to say it." -- Beatrice Hall

Geri Sullivan

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
Kim Campbell wrote:

> In article <35d4a07d....@news.erols.com>, abu...@erols.com
> (Afterburner) wrote:>
> > Yah, but "zaftig" isn't really part of American culture. And
> > neither are used with any frequency. (And even when they do, there's
> > always the tacit assumption that you're saying "rubenesque" as a "nice"
> way> of saying "fat.")
> >
> > AB
> >
> Maybe this is a cultural difference. Over here "rubenesque" has a much
> greater feeling of healthy curves. And long red hair, but that's a
> different story.
>
> Kim :-)
>
> In fact, the lovely Geri Sullivan is a perfect illustration of the UK
> definition of Rubenesque.--

May I quote you on that the next time my son accuses me of not being a
redhead? Heck, may I use it in a pre-emptive strike? I owe him a letter
or three (dozen).

Geri
--
Geri Sullivan g...@toad-hall.com

Michael T Pins

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98

>My very favorite line from that movie! Did you see it recently on

>tv--I've seen bits and pieces of it at least twice recently on the box.

I tried to watch part of it on TV once, while working out at a con no less.
Problem is, they *time*compressed* it. How can you time-compress a movie
that is so timing dependent??? I gave up in disgust after about the first
5 minutes.

Afterburner

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
Ber...@shrdlu.com (Bernard Peek) wrote:

>> Nice catch.

kcam...@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Kim Campbell") sez:

>Excellently done, I thought. :-)

I got skills.

AB
(These are trained professionals. Kids, please don't try this at
home.)

Ed Dravecky III

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
Kim Campbell (kcam...@cix.compulink.co.uk) wrote:
> The really strange thing, though, was that no one wanted to check
> my passport. Not for any of the flights. It was as if it was
> sufficient that I had a dark blue booklet of the right size and
> shape, so that was good enough. Very strange.

My experience with international travel has been that few Western
democracies care who is *leaving* the country, just who's entering.

Me, papers at the ready, queued up
to return to the USA for the first
time in the Toronto airport: "Good morning."
Stern-looking Border Patrol person: "Morning. Destination?"

Me (wondering what he'll ask me to
prove that I'm really an American: "Dallas."
BP (not digging very deeply into
my innermost thoughts and desires: "Where do you live?"

Me (wondering where this is going): "Addison, Texas"
BP (who is either psychic or deaf
as I do NOT have a Texas drawl and
indeed have absorbed a great deal
of the Ontario accent on my trip): "Welcome back. Next!"

The screening at the US/Mexico border was even less "rigorous"
but it probably helped that I was a) walking and b) Anglo.

--
Ed Dravecky III <*>
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/2727/

Loren Joseph MacGregor

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
In rec.arts.sf.fandom, Cally Soukup <ma...@mcs.com> wrote:

: Evelyn C. Leeper <e...@hobcs1.mt.lucent.com> wrote:
: > In article <35dab712...@news.std.com>,
: > Morris M. Keesan <kee...@world.std.com> wrote:
: > > There was no Noreascon One, and your first Worldcon was Noreascon
: > > 3. The first Noreascon, which had no number, was in 1971 and was
: > > my first Worldcon.

: > Only in the same sense that there was no Queen Elizabeth I. It's not
: > unreasonable to distinguish Noreascon [no number] from Noreascon 2 or
: > Noreascon 3 by giving it a number.

: > Has any convention called itself [con-name] 1 the first time it was held?

: Capricon I did. It was, of course, a play off the movie name.

In that case, the next year's con should have been called Capricon I 2.

-- LJM

Ray Radlein

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
Afterburner wrote:

> aa...@netcom.com (Aahz Maruch) sez:
>
> >"Rubenesque" and "zaftig" come to mind.
>
> Yah, but "zaftig" isn't really part of American culture.
> And neither are used with any frequency.

I use it, where appropriate, quite regularly; and I have never had
anyone stare at me with mute incomprehension as a result.

- Ray R.

"I've got three paperclips, a toaster, and some pantyhose. If
I can find a bar of chocolate and some hairspray, I can make
myself a suit of BIO-BOOSTER ARMOR!" -- MacGuyver

Ray Radlein - r...@learnlink.emory.edu
homepage coming soon! wooo, wooo.

Jo Walton

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
In article <Exp7K...@cix.compulink.co.uk>
kcam...@cix.compulink.co.uk "Kim Campbell" writes:

> There-in lies the advantage of being from the UK, every where is warmer!
> By the way, did I mention that I am bidding for another Worldcon? Ah, I
> thought I might have....

For where specifically, within the UK? Inquiring minds... well, just
nosy minds actually, would like to know.

(Somewhere with _ceilings_.)

--
Jo - - I kissed a kif at Kefk - - J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Laurie D. T. Mann

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
Afterburner wrote:
> Yah, but "zaftig" isn't really part of American culture. And
> neither are used with any frequency. (And even when they do, there's
> always the tacit assumption that you're saying "rubenesque" as a > "nice" way of saying "fat.")

Frankly, I'd like to reclaim the term "fat" as a non-pejorative
term. I don't care that I'm fat - it just bugs me that many people
assume fat=ugly/unattractive/nonsexual/incompent.... (and the
beat goes on).

True story - there was (and perhaps still is) a law on the books
in Baltimore that it is ILLEGAL for a woman who weighs over 235
pounds to wear shorts and drink beer in public. I wanted to corral
a group of women of about that weight for a panel called "We're
Breaking the Law in Baltimore - Tell Us Which One."

--
Laurie D. T. Mann http://www.city-net.com/~lmann/dps
Hoax virus E-mail is a lot like VD...

Ulrika

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
In article <35D53...@learnlink.emory.edu>, Ray Radlein
<r...@learnlink.emory.edu> writes:

>I use it, where appropriate, quite regularly; and I have never had
>anyone stare at me with mute incomprehension as a result.

No more so than usual, anyway.

"Yes, indeed, the Lord is a shoving leopard." -- Rev. W.A. Spooner
** Ulrika O'Brien-...@aol.com**

James Nicoll

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
In article <35D4F6...@toad-hall.com>,

Geri Sullivan <g...@toad-hall.com> wrote:
>Kim Campbell wrote:
>>
>> In article <35d4a07d....@news.erols.com>, abu...@erols.com
>> (Afterburner) wrote:>
>> > Yah, but "zaftig" isn't really part of American culture. And
>> > neither are used with any frequency. (And even when they do, there's
>> > always the tacit assumption that you're saying "rubenesque" as a "nice"
>> way> of saying "fat.")
>> >
>> > AB
>> >
>> Maybe this is a cultural difference. Over here "rubenesque" has a much
>> greater feeling of healthy curves. And long red hair, but that's a
>> different story.
>>
>> Kim :-)
>>
>> In fact, the lovely Geri Sullivan is a perfect illustration of the UK
>> definition of Rubenesque.--
>
>May I quote you on that the next time my son accuses me of not being a
>redhead? Heck, may I use it in a pre-emptive strike? I owe him a letter
>or three (dozen).

Isn't the easiest test for red-headedness to expose the
alleged RH to UV? If they burst into flames, they were a red head.
Worked on my exwife, anyway.

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98

From: "Laurie D. T. Mann" <lm...@city-net.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 07:04:18 -0400

True story - there was (and perhaps still is) a law on the books
in Baltimore that it is ILLEGAL for a woman who weighs over 235
pounds to wear shorts and drink beer in public. I wanted to corral
a group of women of about that weight for a panel called "We're
Breaking the Law in Baltimore - Tell Us Which One."

My observations of people in shorts in Baltimore is that less than 1/3
of all people wearing shorts should have been. That's not restricted
to fans, or women, either. Sometimes it was funny, other times it was
repellent. I think people just don't look at themselves.
73, doug

Afterburner

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98

>My observations of people in shorts in Baltimore is that less than 1/3
>of all people wearing shorts should have been. That's not restricted
>to fans, or women, either. Sometimes it was funny, other times it was
>repellent. I think people just don't look at themselves.
>73, doug

I wear shorts for my benefit, not yours.

AB

It is loading more messages.