My fandom sins

Dale

Aug 17, 2002, 8:33:28 AM8/17/02

Since there is all this talk about Worldcon, I thought it would be interesting
to have a thread about our differences with what seems to be a majority of
fandom. My differences/sins are:

1. I hate "Leet" speak. I find it annoying and dislike the looks I get from
people
when I don't recognize it.

2. I am not a science/techie person. I am pretty much the opposite since
I am a Director/Dramaturg for theatre. I often get minorly scorned or left
out at cons and other fandom events because I can't speak the science lingo
or said people like to tell me about how art is "inherently useless."

3. I dislike Terry Pratchet novels. I just don't find them amusing. This is
probably
my biggest sin because every other person I have ever met in fandom loves him.
They look at me like I am the anti-Christ.

So, what are your fandom sins?

Annette M. Stroud

Aug 17, 2002, 9:14:46 AM8/17/02
In article <20020817083328...@mb-cd.aol.com>,

Dale <shado...@aol.com> wrote:
>So, what are your fandom sins?

I wouldn't begin to know. I think if I began thinking of it in terms of
sins or (what would be the opposite? achieving fan saint points), game
over.

I don't think I'm really a science fiction fan, though. I have read/do
read science fiction, but I like science fiction fans more than I like
science fiction.

I may just be in denial.

Annette

recook77

Aug 17, 2002, 11:33:58 AM8/17/02

"Dale" <shado...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Since there is all this talk about Worldcon, I thought it would be
interesting
> to have a thread about our differences with what seems to be a majority of
> fandom. My differences/sins are:
>
> 1. I hate "Leet" speak. I find it annoying and dislike the looks I get
from
> people
> when I don't recognize it.
>
> 2. I am not a science/techie person. I am pretty much the opposite since
> I am a Director/Dramaturg for theatre. I often get minorly scorned or left
> out at cons and other fandom events because I can't speak the science
lingo
> or said people like to tell me about how art is "inherently useless."

Oh my. . .I thought I was the only one in this boat! I really do not pay
much attention to science/techie stuff. I always am more drawn in by great
characterization and plotting. If I don't care about the characters, the
scientific stuff won't make any difference to me.

> 3. I dislike Terry Pratchet novels. I just don't find them amusing. This
is
> probably
> my biggest sin because every other person I have ever met in fandom loves
him.
> They look at me like I am the anti-Christ.

Don't worry--there is no shame in that. British humor isn't for everyone.
I for one *love* Pratchett.

> So, what are your fandom sins?

1. I never followed Babylon 5. It just didn't interest me. You can throw
your tomatoes now.

2. Star Trek: Deep Space 9 is my favorite SFTV show of all time. I cried
when that series ended. Yes, I know it had its weaknesses and its stinker
episodes--what show doesn't? But I loved those characters, and I'm grateful
for the new DS9 novels that continue the story.

3. I don't really care for Ursula Le Guin's books. Yes, she's a great
writer, but her books don't do anything for me, aside from the first three
Earthsea books.

--
"Oh, it's a big, pretty white plane with red stripes and curtains in the
windows and wheels and it looks like a really big Tylenol."

D. Potter

Aug 17, 2002, 12:21:23 PM8/17/02
Dale wrote:
> Since there is all this talk about Worldcon, I thought it would be interesting
> to have a thread about our differences with what seems to be a majority of
> fandom. My differences/sins are:
>
> 1. I hate "Leet" speak. I find it annoying and dislike the looks I get from
> people
> when I don't recognize it.

I am a doddering Old Phart these days, but what the bleep is "'Leet' speak"?

> 2. I am not a science/techie person. I am pretty much the opposite since
> I am a Director/Dramaturg for theatre. I often get minorly scorned or left
> out at cons and other fandom events because I can't speak the science lingo
> or said people like to tell me about how art is "inherently useless."

You're hanging out with the wrong bunch. There are plenty of
non-science/techie (alright, fewer non-techie, but the techie folks I
know can all discourse about non-techie things without getting mired in
some species of libertarianism, so they count) people in fandom; fandom
is broad and deep. You may have to advertise in your general regional area.

The technical discussions of people in the arts can get pretty esoteric
too, y'know.

Art "inherently useless"? That is to laugh. Hard. While I have come
to suspect that "art" is a term with definitions too elastic to have
meaning these days, the fact remains that art is very much our
environment and contributes to the matrix of qualities we call
civilization. (And if you don't like that one, I have others.)

> 3. I dislike Terry Pratchet novels. I just don't find them amusing. This is
> probably
> my biggest sin because every other person I have ever met in fandom loves him.
> They look at me like I am the anti-Christ.

So?

You seem to have gotten the idea (from your local fandom?) that there is
a uniform mold for fans that you have not been poured into and therefore
you are left out of the fun.

You are actually one of those who could benefit from the circus-style
Worldcon; among a few thousand people, there are probably some who
share, overlap with, or know about your interests, who don't like Terry
Pratchett, either (I found the few pages I read mildly funny, but I
don't think I bought the book), and who aren't socially clueless.
(Unless, of course, they no longer attend Worldcons because there are
too many people.;-})

What plays are you working on now?

> So, what are your fandom sins?

Not having pubbed my ish, of course.

--
D.
English Major. Computer Science Minor.

Douglas Berry

Aug 17, 2002, 1:26:55 PM8/17/02
On 17 Aug 2002 12:33:28 GMT, a wanderer, known to us only as
shado...@aol.com (Dale) warmed at our fire and told this tale:

>Since there is all this talk about Worldcon, I thought it would be interesting
>to have a thread about our differences with what seems to be a majority of
>fandom. My differences/sins are:
>
>1. I hate "Leet" speak. I find it annoying and dislike the looks I get from
>people when I don't recognize it.

Are you referring to the annoying habit of using odd ASCII characters,
or fannish slang? I despise the former, but any group will develop
its own set of terms.

>2. I am not a science/techie person. I am pretty much the opposite since
>I am a Director/Dramaturg for theatre. I often get minorly scorned or left
>out at cons and other fandom events because I can't speak the science lingo
>or said people like to tell me about how art is "inherently useless."

I can turn on my computer, and use it. Other than that... I am a
rockhound, and love crunchy hard SF. My standard of excellence is a
book that has a technical appendix. Dr. Robert Forester is my
favorite.

Art useless? Anybody who says this is a heartless philistine and
should be duct-taped to a wall.

>3. I dislike Terry Pratchet novels. I just don't find them amusing. This is
>probably my biggest sin because every other person I have ever met in fandom loves him.
>They look at me like I am the anti-Christ.

I don't really like him as well. Just something about his writing
style.

>So, what are your fandom sins?

I don't like being touched, so I react badly to impromptu hugs and
back rubs. It took me years to convince some local fans that I was
serious about this. Some of them still give me odd looks when I back
off when they come for me.

--

Douglas E. Berry grid...@mindspring.com
http://gridlore.home.mindspring.com/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.

Thomas Yan

Aug 17, 2002, 2:35:48 PM8/17/02
shado...@aol.com (Dale) writes:
> Since there is all this talk about Worldcon, I thought it would be
> interesting to have a thread about our differences with what seems
> to be a majority of fandom. My differences/sins are:
>
> 1. I hate "Leet" speak. I find it annoying and dislike the looks I
> get from people when I don't recognize it.

Leet? (Another category for "Angel", between EET and NEET? EET =
*evil* evil-thing and NEET = *non-evil* evil-thing, so LEET = *lightly
evil* evil-thing?)

> 2. I am not a science/techie person. I am pretty much the opposite
> since I am a Director/Dramaturg for theatre. I often get minorly
> scorned or left out at cons and other fandom events because I can't
> speak the science lingo or said people like to tell me about how art
> is "inherently useless."

How is this your sin? It sounds like you're the sinned against by
jerks/idiots.

> 3. I dislike Terry Pratchet novels. I just don't find them
> amusing. This is probably my biggest sin because every other person
> I have ever met in fandom loves him. They look at me like I am the
> anti-Christ.

I haven't read any of his solo work. I did like _Good Omens_. But I
don't think there are any universally loved authors.

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 17, 2002, 3:13:21 PM8/17/02
In article <m0fzxdg...@localhost.twcny.rr.com>,
Thomas Yan <ty...@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>shado...@aol.com (Dale) writes:
>>
>> 1. I hate "Leet" speak. I find it annoying and dislike the looks I
>> get from people when I don't recognize it.
>
>Leet? (Another category for "Angel", between EET and NEET? EET =
>*evil* evil-thing and NEET = *non-evil* evil-thing, so LEET = *lightly
>evil* evil-thing?)

No, it's the sort of thing young computer geeks say, or
rather type. "133t" is "leet" meaning "elite" meaning
"one of us who understands this jargon." "1 pwnz j00"
is "I owns you," meaning "I am mightier than you, I can
kill you in {whatever game it is}." It is rather
boring.

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com
http://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt

Priscilla Ballou

Aug 17, 2002, 3:21:00 PM8/17/02

shado...@aol.com (Dale) wrote:

> So, what are your fandom sins?

One of my biggest is that, due to hormonal stuff and meds stuff (I
think), my memory is not what it once was, so I cannot pull characters'
names or plot points out of my head at the drop of a hat. Heck,
sometimes I can't remember what book xyz was *about*, but I can remember
how it made me feel, sometimes, and I can usually remember clearly if I
liked it or not. I think I don't pay attention the way a lot of fans do
when I read a book. As a result, I feel stupid and an outsider a lot of
time when books are being discussed. But I love to be present for book
discussions, because things people say will eventually remind me of
details about the books, plus one can get a lot of jokes without knowing
what the heck people are talking about. It's fun to listen to a witty
physicist (I think) even if I don't have a clue what he's being witty
about. True wittiness doesn't depend upon comprehension of subject
matter.

My other big sin is that I'm not really connected to too many people in
fandom, and I'm really set in my ways, so it's very hard for me to fit
into the community aspect. I do better here in RASSF better than I do
at cons, where I'm liable to sneak back to my room for a nap after
sitting alone at a couple of panels and wandering the huckster's room
for a bit. I'm jealous of the "friends meeting again" aspect of cons,
but I don't seem to have the natural ability to get myself sucked in.
It feels like it's too late, like I should have gotten into fandom
twenty or thirty years ago, so that now I'd be hooked in, and now it's
too late. Which isn't all *that* much of a problem, because fandom is
only one part of my life. I have community at church, at work, in my
neighborhood, in my family so I'm not sitting lonely in my house with
no-one to talk to. Well, not all the time. But fandom is so
interesting that I feel the lack of personal connection. (Vivid are the
exceptions -- Mary Kay stopping by my breakfase table at Boskone, Dan
Kimmel giving me his staff ribbon the previous year because he knew
ribbons mattered to me at that time, Darkhawk knowing me to say hi in
the elevator, dim sum lunch at Philcon with Jay, Cheryl, Eva, and Jack
-- and someone else?)

For my penance, I'm off shortly for my niece's 7th birthday party. It
would not be penance were it not 94 F outside with a dewpoint of 70 F,
and I'll be traveling by public transportation.

I may be back with some venial sins.

Priscilla
--
"Love is not something wonderful that you feel; it is something
difficult that you do." -- Elizabeth Goudge

Kevin J. Maroney

Aug 17, 2002, 3:43:31 PM8/17/02
On 17 Aug 2002 12:33:28 GMT, shado...@aol.com (Dale) wrote:
>Since there is all this talk about Worldcon, I thought it would be interesting
>to have a thread about our differences with what seems to be a majority of
>fandom. My differences/sins are:
>
>1. I hate "Leet" speak. I find it annoying and dislike the looks I get from
>people when I don't recognize it.

I'm not even sure what you're saying here. Can you be more specific?

>3. I dislike Terry Pratchet novels. I just don't find them amusing. This is
>probably
>my biggest sin because every other person I have ever met in fandom loves him.
>They look at me like I am the anti-Christ.

I've liked the Terry Pratchett that I've read, but I've only read two
novels and didn't feel the need to keep going. You're not alone.

--
Kevin J. Maroney | k...@panix.com
Games are my entire waking life.

Kevin J. Maroney

Aug 17, 2002, 3:45:12 PM8/17/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 16:21:23 GMT, "D. Potter" <potter...@mac.com>
wrote:

>I am a doddering Old Phart these days, but what the bleep is "'Leet' speak"?

It's a misspelling of "L33T". HTH.

Linda McAllister

Aug 17, 2002, 3:55:52 PM8/17/02

I can listen to them read out loud but on paper I can't get past the
first chapter. Too twee for my tastes. I did like Good Omens,
though, probably because Gaiman toned it down.

> So, what are your fandom sins?

My top heresies:

1. I don't like large multi-purpose conventions (e.g., Worldcons)

2. I can not read graphic novels or comics in general - more of a
deficiency than a sin as I would like to be able to appreciate them
but just can't assimilate the format.

3. I skip over all the threads about food, cats and technology for the
sake of technolgy.

3.5 I think rasff subject lines should have something to do with the
body of the post

4. Chocolate is not one of the basic food groups

linda

Dale

Aug 17, 2002, 4:22:09 PM8/17/02
>Oh my. . .I thought I was the only one in this boat! I really do not pay
>much attention to science/techie stuff. I always am more drawn in by great
>characterization and plotting. If I don't care about the characters, the
>scientific stuff won't make any difference to me.

My tastes in Sci-Fi books go for what I
call pyschadelic cyberpunk. Authors like
Neil Stephanson, Philip K. Dick, William Gibson, and most importantly Jeff Noon
(bonus points for whoever knows who Jeff Noon is.)

I don't read much fantasy. Largely because
they all seem to be in series of Wagnerian scope and my "to read" list is way
too long for me to invest serious time in these.

>Don't worry--there is no shame in that. British humor isn't for everyone.
>I for one *love* Pratchett.

I actually like a lot of British humor. I love
Monty Python, Red Dwarf, the British version of Whose Line is it Anyway?,
Shakespearean comedies and Stoppard.
I just dislike Terry Pratchett. Maybe I am just trying to be different.

Dale

Aug 17, 2002, 4:39:29 PM8/17/02
D. Potter writes:

>You're hanging out with the wrong bunch. There are plenty of
>non-science/techie (alright, fewer non-techie, but the techie folks I
>know can all discourse about non-techie things without getting mired in
>some species of libertarianism, so they count)

My college fandom group was pretty equally split between science majors and
non-Science majors. However my techie
type skills were severly lacking compared to almost everyone else. I can
operate many major appliances but I don't really care to go beyond that. I
don't need to make my own computer, the one I get from the apple website is
good enough for me.

>Art "inherently useless"? That is to laugh. Hard. While I have come
>to suspect that "art" is a term with definitions too elastic to have
>meaning these days, the fact remains that art is very much our
>environment and contributes to the matrix of qualities we call
>civilization. (And if you don't like that one, I have others.)

I'm the type of person who finds Art in everything including science. Even the
most utilitarian pieces of furniture like a classroom chair/desk set have art
involved because someone had to design it at one
point. >

>You are actually one of those who could benefit from the circus-style
>Worldcon; among a few thousand people, there are probably some who
>share, overlap with, or know about your interests, who don't like Terry
>Pratchett, either

Besides a few small anime cons and my
college group's small convention. The only convention I have ever gone to was
I-con at
SUNY Stony Brook. It's pretty fun but I usually just move around between
various anime and comic book events and the dealer's room. Some friends dragged
me to the Filking panel once because Dr.Demento was there. It was okay but I am
not much of a filker (as opposed to my friend who stays up until 6 in the
morning with the filkers. I generally like to go to bed before midnight but
have been known to go to bed at four AM sometimes.)

Being young and a student, I have not had the money to travel to Worldcons yet.
Usually because I am working at my Summer jobs when they happen.

>What plays are you working on now?

The last play(s) I worked on were Angels in
America:Parts One and Two and that was in March and April. It was my senior
project. I am waiting to go to Japan to teach English for a year if I am in a
city like Tokyo, I might try to wrangle up enough English speakers and try to
do semi-professional theatre.

Dale

Aug 17, 2002, 4:52:35 PM8/17/02
Douglas Berry writes:

>Are you referring to the annoying habit of using odd ASCII characters,
>or fannish slang? I despise the former, but any group will develop
>its own set of terms.

I hate both. My college group has began speaking it in full for about two years
thanks to an online comic called Megatokyo (www.megatokyo.com)

>I don't like being touched, so I react badly to impromptu hugs and
>back rubs. It took me years to convince some local fans that I was
>serious about this. Some of them still give me odd looks when I back
>off when they come for me.

I don't mind being touched as long as it is not the small of my back. Whenever
some touches with pressure there it feels like I am being mugged at gunpoint.
My college group was big on impromptu hugs and back rubs but I was usually not
included in these activities which usually left me slightly pissed. Though it
is probably my own fault that I was left out. I am not a big fan of couples
being overly affectionate in public. I think it is rude and inconsiderate
to the people around them (whether they are friends or strangers) I am the type
of person who is very willing to tell couples to cool their hormones, get a
room, etc. My local group is very romantically inbred and very into PDAs. I
think I offended them by my protests.

Dale

Aug 17, 2002, 5:03:19 PM8/17/02
Dorothy J Heydt writes:

>No, it's the sort of thing young computer geeks say, or
>rather type. "133t" is "leet" meaning "elite" meaning
>"one of us who understands this jargon." "1 pwnz j00"
>is "I owns you," meaning "I am mightier than you, I can
>kill you in {whatever game it is}." It is rather

No. They speak it as well or they speak it as much as possible.

More fandom sins on my part:

4. I dislike Cats. Okay, this is largely because I am highly allergic to cats
(they are not deadly to me, just highly annoying)
Even though I am allergic, they are not my ideal pet. Too aristocratic for my
tastes. I prefer dogs and not small dogs, I like the big ones you can roll
around with.
Every fandom person I have ever met seems to think cats as the best animal in
the world

Dale

Aug 17, 2002, 5:12:58 PM8/17/02
Priscilla Ballou writes:

>My other big sin is that I'm not really connected to too many people in
>fandom

I have had a similar experience with my
college group. They are largely socially inbred and hang out with themselves
only.
I would say my social like was divided equally between college fandom people
and other friends. The fandomers got really annoyed or misunderstanding when my
non-fandom life interefered with fandom life.

fairest one

Aug 17, 2002, 5:39:49 PM8/17/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:21:00 GMT,
Priscilla Ballou <vze2...@verizon.net> warbled:

> In article <20020817083328...@mb-cd.aol.com>,
> shado...@aol.com (Dale) wrote:
>
>> So, what are your fandom sins?
>
> One of my biggest is that, due to hormonal stuff and meds stuff (I
> think), my memory is not what it once was, so I cannot pull characters'
> names or plot points out of my head at the drop of a hat. Heck,
> sometimes I can't remember what book xyz was *about*, but I can remember
> how it made me feel, sometimes, and I can usually remember clearly if I
> liked it or not.

next time you and i are at a convention together (i have a vague memory
that you're in the northeast; maybe boskone?) we should sit around and
discuss books. "did you like this book? "yup, but i can't remember exactly
why." "yeah, me too."

heh.

> I think I don't pay attention the way a lot of fans do when I read
> a book.

yeah. i mean, i don't think it's anything i'm doing on purpose, but my
brain just isn't filtering for the same stuff.

> As a result, I feel stupid and an outsider a lot of
> time when books are being discussed. But I love to be present for book
> discussions, because things people say will eventually remind me of
> details about the books, plus one can get a lot of jokes without knowing
> what the heck people are talking about.

yes! i'm usually even pleased to listen to book discussions about books i
haven't read yet.

betsy.
--
"it's surprising how well cute and vicious go together!"
--squirrel token, magic the gathering.

Cheryl Martin

Aug 17, 2002, 5:44:31 PM8/17/02
In article <vze23t8n-1F3C0A...@news.bellatlantic.net>,

Priscilla Ballou <vze2...@verizon.net> wrote:
>In article <20020817083328...@mb-cd.aol.com>,
> shado...@aol.com (Dale) wrote:
>
>> So, what are your fandom sins?
>
>One of my biggest is that, due to hormonal stuff and meds stuff (I
>think), my memory is not what it once was, so I cannot pull characters'
>names or plot points out of my head at the drop of a hat. Heck,
>sometimes I can't remember what book xyz was *about*, but I can remember
>how it made me feel, sometimes, and I can usually remember clearly if I
>liked it or not. I think I don't pay attention the way a lot of fans do
>when I read a book. As a result, I feel stupid and an outsider a lot of
>time when books are being discussed.

You are me, AICMFP! For me, it's not due to meds and hormonal stuff.
It's just the way I am and have always been. People usually are okay
with me asking for a quick summary, though.

>But I love to be present for book discussions, because things people
>say will eventually remind me of details about the books, plus one
>can get a lot of jokes without knowing what the heck people are
>talking about. It's fun to listen to a witty physicist (I think)
>even if I don't have a clue what he's being witty about. True
>wittiness doesn't depend upon comprehension of subject matter.

*nod* True for me as well. I have gotten better about making comments
and asking questions if I feel really lost.

>For my penance, I'm off shortly for my niece's 7th birthday party. It
>would not be penance were it not 94 F outside with a dewpoint of 70 F,
>and I'll be traveling by public transportation.

I think you would not do well out here. It's 102F/39C at the
moment. Though perhaps the low humidity would help.

I'd love to see you come out for CopperCon or Westercon in 2004.
Heck, I'd like to see any rasseffer some visit us AZ fans!

Cheryl
--
*Moderator: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated, soc.personals *
*Associate Moderator: sci.space.moderated *

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 17, 2002, 6:12:34 PM8/17/02
In article <20020817170319...@mb-ff.aol.com>,

Dale <shado...@aol.com> wrote:

>4. I dislike Cats. Okay, this is largely because I am highly allergic to cats
>(they are not deadly to me, just highly annoying)
>Even though I am allergic, they are not my ideal pet. Too aristocratic for my
>tastes. I prefer dogs and not small dogs, I like the big ones you can roll
>around with.

It has been said that dogs are better for country people
(with lots of run-around-in space), cats for city people
with little apartments. Also, a dog will worship you,
but a cat may deign to like you (in which case it is a
great compliment). It sounds as if there's also a
dichotomy between people who like to roll around, run,
throw balls, etc., who would be naturally suited to
dogs, and people who like to sit still, read, etc., who

mike weber

Aug 17, 2002, 7:35:32 PM8/17/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:26:55 -0700, Douglas Berry
<grid...@mindspring.com> typed

>I don't like being touched, so I react badly to impromptu hugs and
>back rubs. It took me years to convince some local fans that I was
>serious about this. Some of them still give me odd looks when I back
>off when they come for me.

At least oneor two local fans in the dim past were somewhat
traumatised when they touched me unexpectedly and i damned near went
over/through the nearest wall jumping away from the contact.

If i *know* someone wants to touch me, i can usually deal with it;
generally, though, i really need to be the initiator of any random
touching or it scares me.
--
mike weber mike....@electronictiger.com
The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns

mike weber

Aug 17, 2002, 7:37:58 PM8/17/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:13:21 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) typed

>No, it's the sort of thing young computer geeks say, or
>rather type. "133t" is "leet" meaning "elite" meaning
>"one of us who understands this jargon." "1 pwnz j00"
>is "I owns you," meaning "I am mightier than you, I can
>kill you in {whatever game it is}." It is rather
>boring.

"Boring" is not the term i would use. More like "ludicrous", with a
strong strain of "get-a-life" detection thrown in.

mike weber

Aug 17, 2002, 7:40:03 PM8/17/02
On 17 Aug 2002 21:03:19 GMT, shado...@aol.com (Dale) typed

>4. I dislike Cats. Okay, this is largely because I am highly allergic to cats
>(they are not deadly to me, just highly annoying)
>Even though I am allergic, they are not my ideal pet. Too aristocratic for my
>tastes. I prefer dogs and not small dogs, I like the big ones you can roll
>around with.
>Every fandom person I have ever met seems to think cats as the best animal in
>the world

Well, they are.

But the next-best is a big wuffly dog with which (after you and the
cat finish sneering at all the peasants out there), as you say, you
can roll around.

Saint Bernards, Great Danes and Irish Wolfhounds qualify.

Kip Williams

Aug 17, 2002, 8:04:09 PM8/17/02
Dale wrote:
> More fandom sins on my part:

You worry too much. The only real sin is being boring.

I, uh, skipped the rest.

--
--Kip (Williams) ...at members.cox.net/kipw
"Freedom! Terrible, terrible freedom!" --ants in space; "The Simpsons"

Douglas Berry

Aug 17, 2002, 8:13:24 PM8/17/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 16:21:23 GMT, a wanderer, known to us only as "D.
Potter" <potter...@mac.com> warmed at our fire and told this tale:

>> 1. I hate "Leet" speak. I find it annoying and dislike the looks I get from
>> people
>> when I don't recognize it.
>
>I am a doddering Old Phart these days, but what the bleep is "'Leet' speak"?

He actually meant Welsh. Leek speak

Douglas Berry

Aug 17, 2002, 8:15:07 PM8/17/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:54:17 GMT, a wanderer, known to us only as
pci...@TheWorld.com (Paul Ciszek) warmed at our fire and told this
tale:

>I don't FRPG, and can't stand to listen to other people giving a play-by-
>play.

Most gamers get sick of this fast as well.

Douglas Berry

Aug 17, 2002, 8:17:57 PM8/17/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:21:00 GMT, a wanderer, known to us only as
Priscilla Ballou <vze2...@verizon.net> warmed at our fire and told
this tale:

>One of my biggest is that, due to hormonal stuff and meds stuff (I

>think), my memory is not what it once was, so I cannot pull characters'
>names or plot points out of my head at the drop of a hat.

Oy. With me it is the epilepsy and the meds that go along with it,
along with Hodgkin's Disease. My memory is *shot.*

So, if you meet me at ConJose, please be patient if I reintroduce
myself twn minutes later. It isn't an insult, I just can't hold onto
names very long without lots of practice.

Hal O'Brien

Aug 17, 2002, 8:29:56 PM8/17/02
D. Potter, (potter...@mac.com), was kind enough to say...

> Dale wrote:
> >
> > 1. I hate "Leet" speak. I find it annoying and dislike the looks I get from
> > people when I don't recognize it.
>
> I am a doddering Old Phart these days, but what the bleep is "'Leet' speak"?

As Kevin ever so helpfully points out, it's a variant spelling of
"l33t", usually pronounced as "elite". It's a quasi-techie mishmash
of dyslexic typing and numbers substituting for letters: "hax0r" for
"hacker", "pr0n" for "porn", that sort of thing. The main points of
the exercise, as teenager antics have been for millennia, are to
annoy adults and be horribly outdated in six months.

You can find a "translator" page at:

http://www.geocities.com/mnstr_2000/translate.html

hop3 THI$ H3lp$, {cough},

-- Hal

Andrew Plotkin

Aug 17, 2002, 9:07:24 PM8/17/02
What, I'm supposed to tell *you* what *my* fandom sins are? How the
hell should I know?

You people could tell *me* what my fandom sins are, except that none
of you (that I know of) spend any time mulling over my cultural sins.
And, hey, neither do I.

--Z

*

Pearly the cat and Harry Andruschak

Aug 17, 2002, 9:26:28 PM8/17/02
>Subject: Re: My fandom sins
>From: Douglas Berry grid...@mindspring.com
>Date: 8/17/02 5:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time

>On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:21:00 GMT, a wanderer, known to us only as
>Priscilla Ballou <vze2...@verizon.net> warmed at our fire and told
>this tale:
>
>>One of my biggest is that, due to hormonal stuff and meds stuff (I
>>think), my memory is not what it once was, so I cannot pull characters'
>>names or plot points out of my head at the drop of a hat.
>
>Oy. With me it is the epilepsy and the meds that go along with it,
>along with Hodgkin's Disease. My memory is *shot.*
>
>So, if you meet me at ConJose, please be patient if I reintroduce
>myself two minutes later. It isn't an insult, I just can't hold onto

>names very long without lots of practice.

This is happening to me, and I must admit that I am quite worried about it. I'm
not sure if it is a long term effect from the concussion I had a few years ago
when thrown from a horse, a short term effect from lack of testosterone, or one
of the 6 prescription medications I am now taking. I was hoping that the new
estrogen HRT I am on would help out, but so far it hasn't.

All E-mail to this screen name is blocked to thwart spammers. Reply to
harryandruschak AT aol DOT com
(310) 835-9202
Isaiah 56: 1-8

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 17, 2002, 10:08:17 PM8/17/02
In article <i9ntlug0bi09q7t73...@4ax.com>,

mike weber <mike....@electronictiger.com> wrote:

>At least oneor two local fans in the dim past were somewhat
>traumatised when they touched me unexpectedly and i damned near went
>over/through the nearest wall jumping away from the contact.

It beats the episode (way back in junior college in the
early 1960s this was) when I didn't object that much to
being touched in a neutral sort of way---but I really
hated being tickled.

So some guy started tickling me.

Reflexes cut in and I started clawing him like one each
big cat. I tore the pocket out of his shirt. He was
mightily miffed. But he didn't tickle me any more.

Annette M. Stroud

Aug 17, 2002, 10:20:12 PM8/17/02
In article <MPG.17c88a611...@news-remote.speakeasy.net>,

Hal O'Brien <arg...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>D. Potter, (potter...@mac.com), was kind enough to say...
>> Dale wrote:
>> >
>> > 1. I hate "Leet" speak. I find it annoying and dislike the looks I get from
>> > people when I don't recognize it.
>>
>> I am a doddering Old Phart these days, but what the bleep is "'Leet' speak"?
>>

>As Kevin ever so helpfully points out, it's a variant spelling of
>"l33t", usually pronounced as "elite". It's a quasi-techie mishmash
>of dyslexic typing and numbers substituting for letters: "hax0r" for
>"hacker", "pr0n" for "porn", that sort of thing. The main points of
>the exercise, as teenager antics have been for millennia, are to
>annoy adults and be horribly outdated in six months.

I actually am amused by 1337. My son found a 1337 Romeo and Juliet
shockwave animation that I found entertaining.

Annette

Priscilla Ballou

Aug 17, 2002, 10:44:58 PM8/17/02
In article <slrnaltgl5....@isis.visi.com>,
fairest one <kall...@tiny.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:21:00 GMT,
> Priscilla Ballou <vze2...@verizon.net> warbled:
> > In article <20020817083328...@mb-cd.aol.com>,
> > shado...@aol.com (Dale) wrote:
> >
> >> So, what are your fandom sins?
> >
> > One of my biggest is that, due to hormonal stuff and meds stuff (I
> > think), my memory is not what it once was, so I cannot pull characters'
> > names or plot points out of my head at the drop of a hat. Heck,
> > sometimes I can't remember what book xyz was *about*, but I can remember
> > how it made me feel, sometimes, and I can usually remember clearly if I
> > liked it or not.
>
> next time you and i are at a convention together (i have a vague memory
> that you're in the northeast; maybe boskone?) we should sit around and
> discuss books. "did you like this book? "yup, but i can't remember exactly
> why." "yeah, me too."
>
> heh.

Heh! You're on. Yes, I'm in Boston, and Boskone is my one constant
con. See you in February?

Mary Kay

Aug 17, 2002, 10:44:51 PM8/17/02
Priscilla Ballou <vze2...@verizon.net> wrote:

> My other big sin is that I'm not really connected to too many people in
> fandom, and I'm really set in my ways, so it's very hard for me to fit
> into the community aspect. I do better here in RASSF better than I do
> at cons, where I'm liable to sneak back to my room for a nap after
> sitting alone at a couple of panels and wandering the huckster's room
> for a bit. I'm jealous of the "friends meeting again" aspect of cons,
> but I don't seem to have the natural ability to get myself sucked in.
> It feels like it's too late, like I should have gotten into fandom
> twenty or thirty years ago, so that now I'd be hooked in, and now it's
> too late.

If it's any comfort most of us feel this way. Patrick says he always
wonders why all his friends go off to the cool parties without telling
him.

I spend a lot of time by myself in the normal course of my life and it
can be hard for me to be around a lot of people and be sociable. At
least once a con I find myself looking around thinking, "I don't like
any of these people. None of them like me. What am I doing here?"
This is, of course, untrue and it is a signal that it is time for me to
spend some quality time alone in my room.

MKK

--
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary,
and those who don't.

Mary Kay

Aug 17, 2002, 10:44:51 PM8/17/02
Dale <shado...@aol.com> wrote:

> So, what are your fandom sins?

I don't get Connie Willis, Gene Wolfe, and Jonathan Lethem. I get
Philip K. Dick and I hate it.

I really enjoy reading Alan Dean Foster books.

I'm too lazy to be fanatical about anything.

Mary Kay

Aug 17, 2002, 10:44:50 PM8/17/02
Dale <shado...@aol.com> wrote:

> >Oh my. . .I thought I was the only one in this boat! I really do not pay
> >much attention to science/techie stuff. I always am more drawn in by great
> >characterization and plotting. If I don't care about the characters, the
> >scientific stuff won't make any difference to me.
>
> My tastes in Sci-Fi books go for what I
> call pyschadelic cyberpunk. Authors like
> Neil Stephanson, Philip K. Dick, William Gibson, and most importantly Jeff
> Noon (bonus points for whoever knows who Jeff Noon is.)

Author of VURT and other books. None of which I've read, but I have
heard of him. I like the Cyberpunk stuff too.

Priscilla Ballou

Aug 17, 2002, 10:49:42 PM8/17/02

shado...@aol.com (Dale) wrote:

> 4. I dislike Cats. Okay, this is largely because I am highly allergic to cats
> (they are not deadly to me, just highly annoying)
> Even though I am allergic, they are not my ideal pet. Too aristocratic for my
> tastes. I prefer dogs and not small dogs, I like the big ones you can roll
> around with.
> Every fandom person I have ever met seems to think cats as the best animal in
> the world

I'm a secret dog person, and yes, dogs you can roll around with. I love
Goldens and Labs particularly, and my favorite dogs have been Lab x
Goldens. What good is a dog you can't sit next to, put your arm around,
and mutually lean?

But, since I work a fulltime job an hour commute away from home and live
alone in a small house, I am dogless. I have cats because I love cats
and they're low maintenance, but sometime I would love to have My Dog
living with me.

Priscilla Ballou

Aug 17, 2002, 10:52:04 PM8/17/02
> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:26:55 -0700, Douglas Berry
> <grid...@mindspring.com> typed
> >I don't like being touched, so I react badly to impromptu hugs and
> >back rubs. It took me years to convince some local fans that I was
> >serious about this. Some of them still give me odd looks when I back
> >off when they come for me.
>
> At least oneor two local fans in the dim past were somewhat
> traumatised when they touched me unexpectedly and i damned near went
> over/through the nearest wall jumping away from the contact.
>
> If i *know* someone wants to touch me, i can usually deal with it;
> generally, though, i really need to be the initiator of any random
> touching or it scares me.

It sends me to lala land where, unfortunately I cannot speak very
loudly, so it may be a while before someone notices I'm murmuring,
"Please don't do that. Please don't do that."

Marilee J. Layman

Aug 17, 2002, 11:12:29 PM8/17/02

Spirit, who is sitting in my lap, certainly thinks she is. She came
so I could dry her ear. When Giorgio bathes her, he makes her ear
sopping wet and she comes to sit while I dry it, then she goes back to
sleeping with Giorgio.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale

Cally Soukup

Aug 17, 2002, 11:42:16 PM8/17/02
D. Potter <potter...@mac.com> wrote in article <3D5E7825...@mac.com>:
> Dale wrote:

>> So, what are your fandom sins?

> Not having pubbed my ish, of course.

Failing to LOC. There, my Dread Secret is out. I'm a terrible
procrastinator, and I almost never remember to LOC. <hangs head in
shame>

--
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend
to the death your right to say it." -- Beatrice Hall

Cally Soukup sou...@pobox.com

Joyce Reynolds-Ward

Aug 17, 2002, 11:38:54 PM8/17/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:44:51 -0700, mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay) wrote:

snip

>I spend a lot of time by myself in the normal course of my life and it
>can be hard for me to be around a lot of people and be sociable. At
>least once a con I find myself looking around thinking, "I don't like
>any of these people. None of them like me. What am I doing here?"
>This is, of course, untrue and it is a signal that it is time for me to
>spend some quality time alone in my room.

Yikes.

I think we're twins.....

jrw

Marilee J. Layman

Aug 18, 2002, 12:24:47 AM8/18/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:44:51 -0700, mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay) wrote:

I just start feeling overwhelmed with so many people. Even when I'm
not as sick as I've been, I have to spend some time in the room at
cons. The doctor on Wednesday asked me if I get out and spend time
with friends. I told him the SF discussion group meets once a month
to discuss and also once a month to game, so I got socialization twice
a month. He said "Good!" and wrote something in his PDA.

The Kaiser docs are being moved to PDAs for notes and prescriptions
and so forth, he was thrilled he could send my Rx to Manassas just by
checking a box.

Timothy McDaniel

Aug 18, 2002, 12:53:21 AM8/18/02
In article <2e1tlu4tm76m8ekd9...@4ax.com>,
Douglas Berry <grid...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Art useless? Anybody who says this is a heartless philistine and
>should be duct-taped to a wall.

Art is useless. (I even said it aloud just to be sure.) Please look
for me at bondage parties at Worldcon. Please, I beg you, sir.

Tim McDaniel, 17th level member of the Philistine Liberation Organization
--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com; tm...@us.ibm.com is my work address

Matt Austern

Aug 18, 2002, 2:07:28 AM8/18/02
mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay) writes:

> Dale <shado...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > So, what are your fandom sins?
>
> I don't get Connie Willis, Gene Wolfe, and Jonathan Lethem. I get
> Philip K. Dick and I hate it.

Oh, but that's just because you haven't tried the *right* beer yet.

aRJay

Aug 17, 2002, 5:50:57 PM8/17/02
<shado...@aol.com> writes

>Dorothy J Heydt writes:
>

>>No, it's the sort of thing young computer geeks say, or
>>rather type. "133t" is "leet" meaning "elite" meaning
>>"one of us who understands this jargon." "1 pwnz j00"
>>is "I owns you," meaning "I am mightier than you, I can
>>kill you in {whatever game it is}." It is rather
>
>No. They speak it as well or they speak it as much as possible.
>
>More fandom sins on my part:
>
>4. I dislike Cats. Okay, this is largely because I am highly allergic to cats
>(they are not deadly to me, just highly annoying)
>Even though I am allergic, they are not my ideal pet. Too aristocratic for my
>tastes. I prefer dogs and not small dogs, I like the big ones you can roll
>around with.
>Every fandom person I have ever met seems to think cats as the best animal in
>the world

You definitely need to hang around here more and meet more fans, you are
generalising from a much to small sample of fandom.

There are non pet owners here, we also have dog owners, there are people
here who like cat stories along as the cute furry psychopaths stay on
the right side of the screen. There is even one owner of multiple cats
who posts here who is allergic to cats IIRC.
--
aRJay
"In this great and creatorless universe, where so much beautiful has

Vlatko Juric-Kokic

Aug 18, 2002, 3:40:32 AM8/18/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:44:50 -0700, mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay) wrote:

>Dale <shado...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> >Oh my. . .I thought I was the only one in this boat! I really do not pay
>> >much attention to science/techie stuff. I always am more drawn in by great
>> >characterization and plotting. If I don't care about the characters, the
>> >scientific stuff won't make any difference to me.
>>
>> My tastes in Sci-Fi books go for what I
>> call pyschadelic cyberpunk. Authors like
>> Neil Stephanson, Philip K. Dick, William Gibson, and most importantly Jeff
>> Noon (bonus points for whoever knows who Jeff Noon is.)
>>
>Author of VURT and other books. None of which I've read, but I have
>heard of him.

You should. I've read _Vurt_ and _Pollen_, and I liked both, although
_Pollen_ is the favourite. Wacky psychedelic _bio_punk. If I was
looking for Noon's SF precedents, I'd choose Sterling's _Schismatrix_
and Swanwick's _Vacuum Flowers_. But Noon is better than the both
books.

vlatko (okay, I'll go to rasfw now)
--
_Neither Fish Nor Fowl_
http://www.webart.hr/nrnm/eng/

Mary Kay

Aug 18, 2002, 3:53:49 AM8/18/02
Matt Austern <aus...@well.com> wrote:

:-P

aRJay

Aug 18, 2002, 6:35:24 AM8/18/02
In article <3d5f16b5...@news.aracnet.com>, Joyce Reynolds-Ward
<j...@aracnet.com> writes
I suspect that I am a near cousin at least.

Arthur D. Hlavaty

Aug 18, 2002, 7:22:14 AM8/18/02

> Dale wrote:
>
>> So, what are your fandom sins?

Talking about science fiction books.

--
Arthur D.Hlavaty hla...@panix.com
Church of the SuperGenius in Wile E. we trust

Arthur D. Hlavaty

Aug 18, 2002, 7:24:02 AM8/18/02
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 04:53:21 +0000 (UTC), tm...@panix.com (Timothy
McDaniel) wrote:

>In article <2e1tlu4tm76m8ekd9...@4ax.com>,
>Douglas Berry <grid...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>Art useless? Anybody who says this is a heartless philistine and
>>should be duct-taped to a wall.
>
>Art is useless. (I even said it aloud just to be sure.) Please look
>for me at bondage parties at Worldcon. Please, I beg you, sir.
>
>Tim McDaniel, 17th level member of the Philistine Liberation Organization

We could refer to those who don't want any of that literary stuff in
their reading as the Philistinian Authority.

Arthur D. Hlavaty

Aug 18, 2002, 7:30:43 AM8/18/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 12:55:52 -0700, Linda McAllister <l...@pensfa.org>
wrote:

>My top heresies:
>
>1. I don't like large multi-purpose conventions (e.g., Worldcons)
>
>2. I can not read graphic novels or comics in general - more of a
>deficiency than a sin as I would like to be able to appreciate them
>but just can't assimilate the format.
>
>3. I skip over all the threads about food, cats and technology for the
>sake of technolgy.
>
>3.5 I think rasff subject lines should have something to do with the
>body of the post
>
>4. Chocolate is not one of the basic food groups

I was in complete agreement until point 4. Die, heretic!

Antony J. Shepherd

Aug 18, 2002, 7:38:22 AM8/18/02

> More fandom sins on my part:
>
> 4. I dislike Cats. Okay, this is largely because I am highly allergic to
cats
> (they are not deadly to me, just highly annoying)
> Even though I am allergic, they are not my ideal pet. Too aristocratic for
my
> tastes. I prefer dogs and not small dogs, I like the big ones you can roll
> around with.
> Every fandom person I have ever met seems to think cats as the best animal
in
> the world

Not me. Don't like cats at all. For a start they totally impede my ability
to breathe through my nose. I much prefer dogs...

--
Antony J. "Dop" Shepherd --- d...@btinternet.com
"Being temporarily uncertain of your position is not the same as being lost"

Dale

Aug 18, 2002, 9:02:44 AM8/18/02
Dorothy Heydt writes:

>It has been said that dogs are better for country people
>(with lots of run-around-in space), cats for city people
>with little apartments.

However since I am interested in being involved in theatre, film, or TV; I am a
city person. More options. Though I am going to get a beach and/or country
house when I am rich ;)

> Also, a dog will worship you,
>but a cat may deign to like you (in which case it is a
>great compliment).

Why would anyone get a pet that chooses to like them? I want my pet to worship
me.
Would we accpet the friendship of some arrogant person who says "I choose to
like you even though you are really lower than me."

Irina Rempt

Aug 18, 2002, 9:08:28 AM8/18/02
On Sunday 18 August 2002 15:02 Dale wrote:

> Why would anyone get a pet that chooses to like them? I want my pet to
> worship me.

Ah, that's why I'm a cat person. I'm very uncomfortable with being
looked up to.

> Would we accpet the friendship of some arrogant person who says "I
> choose to like you even though you are really lower than me."

Would you accept the friendship of someone who says "I'm my own person
and so are you, and I choose to like you regardless of any
differences"?

Irina

--
Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin. http://www.valdyas.org/irina

Kip Williams

Aug 18, 2002, 9:32:03 AM8/18/02
aRJay wrote:
> In article <3d5f16b5...@news.aracnet.com>, Joyce Reynolds-Ward
> <j...@aracnet.com> writes
>
>> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:44:51 -0700, mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay) wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>
>>> I spend a lot of time by myself in the normal course of my life and it
>>> can be hard for me to be around a lot of people and be sociable. At
>>> least once a con I find myself looking around thinking, "I don't like
>>> any of these people. None of them like me. What am I doing here?"
>>> This is, of course, untrue and it is a signal that it is time for me to
>>> spend some quality time alone in my room.
>>

>> Yikes.
>>
>> I think we're twins.....
>>
> I suspect that I am a near cousin at least.

Oh, man, they're all related but me. What am I doing here?

--
--Kip (Williams) ...at members.cox.net/kipw
"Freedom! Terrible, terrible freedom!" --ants in space; "The Simpsons"

Sue

Aug 18, 2002, 1:15:42 PM8/18/02
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 13:32:03 GMT, Kip Williams <ki...@cox.net>
proclaimed:

>>> Yikes.
>>>
>>> I think we're twins.....
>>>
>> I suspect that I am a near cousin at least.
>
>Oh, man, they're all related but me. What am I doing here?

I find myself sometimes feeling that way. I took a hiatus from
literary cons for a couple of years after becoming a HUGE Babylon 5
fan and now I don't see a lot of people who know me and don't feel
very...connected anymore.

Sue

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 18, 2002, 11:10:06 AM8/18/02
In article <20020818090244...@mb-mt.aol.com>,

Dale <shado...@aol.com> wrote:

>Why would anyone get a pet that chooses to like them? I want my pet to worship
>me.

Then you definitely want a dog.

>Would we accpet the friendship of some arrogant person who says "I choose to
>like you even though you are really lower than me."

If he were as beautiful as a cat, sure.

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com
http://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt

D. Potter

Aug 18, 2002, 11:21:53 AM8/18/02
Dale wrote:
> D. Potter writes:
>

>>You're hanging out with the wrong bunch. There are plenty of
>>non-science/techie (alright, fewer non-techie, but the techie folks I
>>know can all discourse about non-techie things without getting mired in
>>some species of libertarianism, so they count)
>

> My college fandom group was pretty equally split between science majors and
> non-Science majors. However my techie
> type skills were severly lacking compared to almost everyone else. I can
> operate many major appliances but I don't really care to go beyond that. I
> don't need to make my own computer, the one I get from the apple website is
> good enough for me.

Alas, they refuse to download a G4 here. I'll just have to buy it.
Meanwhile (xthread--reference to comment made in another thread;
newsgroup slanguage), I like Macs just fine.

>>Art "inherently useless"? That is to laugh. Hard. While I have come
>>to suspect that "art" is a term with definitions too elastic to have
>>meaning these days, the fact remains that art is very much our
>>environment and contributes to the matrix of qualities we call
>>civilization. (And if you don't like that one, I have others.)
>

> I'm the type of person who finds Art in everything including science. Even the
> most utilitarian pieces of furniture like a classroom chair/desk set have art
> involved because someone had to design it at one
> point. >

Ah. Remind me to tell the story about a rainy day in New York, my
sweetie, and going to the Cooper-Hewitt because the Guggenheim was
closed. (You would love the Cooper-Hewitt. It's mainly a design museum
with a backyard.)

>>You are actually one of those who could benefit from the circus-style
>>Worldcon; among a few thousand people, there are probably some who
>>share, overlap with, or know about your interests, who don't like Terry
>>Pratchett, either
>

> Besides a few small anime cons and my
> college group's small convention. The only convention I have ever gone to was
> I-con at
> SUNY Stony Brook. It's pretty fun but I usually just move around between
> various anime and comic book events and the dealer's room. Some friends dragged
> me to the Filking panel once because Dr.Demento was there.

<Pardon my shriek> DR. DEMENTO? YOU SAW DR. DEMENTO? </Pardon shriek>

> It was okay but I am
> not much of a filker (as opposed to my friend who stays up until 6 in the
> morning with the filkers. I generally like to go to bed before midnight but
> have been known to go to bed at four AM sometimes.)
>
> Being young and a student, I have not had the money to travel to Worldcons yet.
> Usually because I am working at my Summer jobs when they happen.

Hmmmmm. Next East Coast Worldcon is either Toronto or Boston (someone
here will know). If you start planning now (and if your next summer job
does not involve working Labor Day weekend), you can minimize costs by
arranging ride, room, much food, and membership in advance. Do a budget.

>>What plays are you working on now?
>

> The last play(s) I worked on were Angels in
> America:Parts One and Two and that was in March and April. It was my senior
> project. I am waiting to go to Japan to teach English for a year if I am in a
> city like Tokyo, I might try to wrangle up enough English speakers and try to
> do semi-professional theatre.

That must have been one helluva lot of work (_Angels_). My sister, for
part of her graduate work, directed a Derek Walcott play, and what she
told me about the constraints was, ahem, amazing. (I have been trying
to tease out those bits ever since.) (She does choreography now.)

I look forward to hearing about your adventures in Japan (English
speakers will probably mob you for the opportunity to do stage work.
You may have a problem _choosing_ a play).

--
D.
Although they might like _The Piano_.

D. Potter

Aug 18, 2002, 11:34:07 AM8/18/02
Timothy McDaniel wrote:
> In article <2e1tlu4tm76m8ekd9...@4ax.com>,
> Douglas Berry <grid...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>Art useless? Anybody who says this is a heartless philistine and
>>should be duct-taped to a wall.
>

> Art is useless. (I even said it aloud just to be sure.) Please look
> for me at bondage parties at Worldcon. Please, I beg you, sir.
>
> Tim McDaniel, 17th level member of the Philistine Liberation Organization

Doms with duct tape. One shudders (pleasantly) to think.

How about silk scarves?

--
D.
Tongue firmly in cheek, *chortle* firmly in check.

David Dyer-Bennet

Aug 18, 2002, 11:54:03 AM8/18/02
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:

> In article <i9ntlug0bi09q7t73...@4ax.com>,
> mike weber <mike....@electronictiger.com> wrote:
> >
> >At least oneor two local fans in the dim past were somewhat
> >traumatised when they touched me unexpectedly and i damned near went
> >over/through the nearest wall jumping away from the contact.
>

> It beats the episode (way back in junior college in the
> early 1960s this was) when I didn't object that much to
> being touched in a neutral sort of way---but I really
> hated being tickled.
>
> So some guy started tickling me.
>
> Reflexes cut in and I started clawing him like one each
> big cat. I tore the pocket out of his shirt. He was
> mightily miffed. But he didn't tickle me any more.

That sort of horse-play can be fun, but it does need to be consensual
(at least by my standards).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd...@dd-b.net / New TMDA anti-spam in test
John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 18, 2002, 12:39:46 PM8/18/02
In article <m2y9b4g...@gw.dd-b.net>,
David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net> wrote:

[the guy tickled me and I tore out his shirt pocket]

>That sort of horse-play can be fun, but it does need to be consensual
>(at least by my standards).

Another way of saying "if you enjoy being tickled it's
all right." I HATED it. still do.

Douglas Berry

Aug 18, 2002, 1:32:50 PM8/18/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:44:51 -0700, a wanderer, known to us only as
mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay) warmed at our fire and told this tale:

>Dale <shado...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> So, what are your fandom sins?
>

>I don't get Connie Willis, Gene Wolfe, and Jonathan Lethem. I get
>Philip K. Dick and I hate it.

Connie Willis is one of those authors I have to work at. I've been
trying to read "To Say Nothing of the Dog" since it came out in
paperback. Once I get into it I love her, but its getting past the
first few chapters that is the problem. I had the same problem with
Dune.

--

Douglas E. Berry grid...@mindspring.com
http://gridlore.home.mindspring.com/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.

Douglas Berry

Aug 18, 2002, 1:34:52 PM8/18/02
On 18 Aug 2002 13:02:44 GMT, a wanderer, known to us only as
shado...@aol.com (Dale) warmed at our fire and told this tale:

>Why would anyone get a pet that chooses to like them? I want my pet to worship
>me.

Ah, but cats assume that you are their pet.

Douglas Berry

Aug 18, 2002, 1:35:58 PM8/18/02
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:35:32 -0400, a wanderer, known to us only as
mike weber <mike....@electronictiger.com> warmed at our fire and
told this tale:

>On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:26:55 -0700, Douglas Berry
><grid...@mindspring.com> typed
>
>>I don't like being touched, so I react badly to impromptu hugs and
>>back rubs. It took me years to convince some local fans that I was
>>serious about this. Some of them still give me odd looks when I back
>>off when they come for me.

>At least oneor two local fans in the dim past were somewhat
>traumatised when they touched me unexpectedly and i damned near went
>over/through the nearest wall jumping away from the contact.
>

>If i *know* someone wants to touch me, i can usually deal with it;
>generally, though, i really need to be the initiator of any random
>touching or it scares me.

Interesting. Most of the people who dislike being touched are
veterans, mostly those who have been in combat. I see a trend here.

Douglas Berry

Aug 18, 2002, 1:36:35 PM8/18/02
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:21:53 GMT, a wanderer, known to us only as "D.
Potter" <potter...@mac.com> warmed at our fire and told this tale:

>Hmmmmm. Next East Coast Worldcon is either Toronto or Boston (someone
>here will know). If you start planning now (and if your next summer job
>does not involve working Labor Day weekend), you can minimize costs by
>arranging ride, room, much food, and membership in advance. Do a budget.

Totonto next year.

Vlatko Juric-Kokic

Aug 18, 2002, 1:44:16 PM8/18/02
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:21:53 GMT, "D. Potter" <potter...@mac.com>
wrote:

>Next East Coast Worldcon is either Toronto or Boston (someone
>here will know).

Toronto in 2003, Boston in 2004.

And I hope Glasgow 2005. Hm. What's there to _hope_ for? Has it *ever*
happened that people didn't vote for the only site on ballot?

vlatko

Priscilla Ballou

Aug 18, 2002, 1:41:14 PM8/18/02
In article <7mmvlukq12hlfphvl...@4ax.com>,
Douglas Berry <grid...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:35:32 -0400, a wanderer, known to us only as
> mike weber <mike....@electronictiger.com> warmed at our fire and
> told this tale:
>
> >On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:26:55 -0700, Douglas Berry
> ><grid...@mindspring.com> typed
> >
> >>I don't like being touched, so I react badly to impromptu hugs and
> >>back rubs. It took me years to convince some local fans that I was
> >>serious about this. Some of them still give me odd looks when I back
> >>off when they come for me.
> >
> >At least oneor two local fans in the dim past were somewhat
> >traumatised when they touched me unexpectedly and i damned near went
> >over/through the nearest wall jumping away from the contact.
> >
> >If i *know* someone wants to touch me, i can usually deal with it;
> >generally, though, i really need to be the initiator of any random
> >touching or it scares me.
>
> Interesting. Most of the people who dislike being touched are
> veterans, mostly those who have been in combat. I see a trend here.

Or people who have at one time or another been diagnosed with some kind
of PTSD, which group includes many veterans.

Priscilla
--
"Love is not something wonderful that you feel; it is something
difficult that you do." -- Elizabeth Goudge

Miche

Aug 18, 2002, 4:01:53 PM8/18/02
shado...@aol.com (Dale) wrote:

> Since there is all this talk about Worldcon, I thought it would be interesting
> to have a thread about our differences with what seems to be a majority of
> fandom. My differences/sins are:
>
> 1. I hate "Leet" speak. I find it annoying and dislike the looks I get from
> people
> when I don't recognize it.

AMEN! I recognize it and can even read it. But I hate hate +hate+ it.

> 2. I am not a science/techie person. I am pretty much the opposite since
> I am a Director/Dramaturg for theatre. I often get minorly scorned or left
> out at cons and other fandom events because I can't speak the science lingo
> or said people like to tell me about how art is "inherently useless."

Good lord. I'm not a "real" tech, apparently, since I work in technical
support and am not a programmer or systems administrator.

> 3. I dislike Terry Pratchet novels. I just don't find them amusing. This is
> probably
> my biggest sin because every other person I have ever met in fandom loves him.
> They look at me like I am the anti-Christ.

Heh. Tastes differ. You're safe with me.

> So, what are your fandom sins?

I've never read any Isaac Asimov.

I don't like Anne McCaffrey's or Anne Rice's work.

I watch videos/movies AND read books.

Miche

--
And you may say to yourself "Well -- how did I get here?"
-- Talking Heads, _Once in a Lifetime_

mike weber

Aug 18, 2002, 4:35:43 PM8/18/02
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:35:58 -0700, Douglas Berry
<grid...@mindspring.com> typed

>On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:35:32 -0400, a wanderer, known to us only as
>mike weber <mike....@electronictiger.com> warmed at our fire and
>told this tale:
>
>>On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:26:55 -0700, Douglas Berry
>><grid...@mindspring.com> typed
>>
>>>I don't like being touched, so I react badly to impromptu hugs and
>>>back rubs. It took me years to convince some local fans that I was
>>>serious about this. Some of them still give me odd looks when I back
>>>off when they come for me.
>>
>>At least oneor two local fans in the dim past were somewhat
>>traumatised when they touched me unexpectedly and i damned near went
>>over/through the nearest wall jumping away from the contact.
>>
>>If i *know* someone wants to touch me, i can usually deal with it;
>>generally, though, i really need to be the initiator of any random
>>touching or it scares me.
>
>Interesting. Most of the people who dislike being touched are
>veterans, mostly those who have been in combat. I see a trend here.

No actual combat, but i did spend a year in The Awful Place.

Actually, i was pretty jumpy about being touched unaware *before* the
Navy...
--
mike weber mike....@electronictiger.com
The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns
something that will always be useful and which never will
grow dim or doubtful. -- Mark Twain.
Book Reviews & More -- http://electronictiger.com

mike weber

Aug 18, 2002, 4:36:20 PM8/18/02
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:41:14 GMT, Priscilla Ballou
<vze2...@verizon.net> typed

I think that may be it.

mike weber

Aug 18, 2002, 4:39:37 PM8/18/02
On 18 Aug 2002 13:02:44 GMT, shado...@aol.com (Dale) typed

>Dorothy Heydt writes:

se when I am rich ;)

>> Also, a dog will worship you,
>>but a cat may deign to like you (in which case it is a
>>great compliment).
>
>Why would anyone get a pet that chooses to like them? I want my pet to worship
>me.
>Would we accpet the friendship of some arrogant person who says "I choose to
>like you even though you are really lower than me."

Would you prefer the friendship of a person who says "I am compelled
to like you by mind control," (which covers dogs) or of one who says
"I choose to be your friend even though I don't have to."?

Kip Williams

Aug 18, 2002, 5:09:25 PM8/18/02
mike weber wrote:
> On 18 Aug 2002 13:02:44 GMT, shado...@aol.com (Dale) typed
>

>>Dorothy Heydt writes:
>>

> se when I am rich ;)
>
>>> Also, a dog will worship you,
>>>but a cat may deign to like you (in which case it is a
>>>great compliment).
>>
>>Why would anyone get a pet that chooses to like them? I want my pet to worship
>>me.
>>Would we accpet the friendship of some arrogant person who says "I choose to
>>like you even though you are really lower than me."
>

> Would you prefer the friendship of a person who says "I am compelled
> to like you by mind control," (which covers dogs) or of one who says
> "I choose to be your friend even though I don't have to."?

Wellll, I think there's a degree of mind control with cats. They are
not normally social animals once they reach adulthood, and from what
I've been told (there was a PBS show on cats a few years back, which
I've re-watched a time or two), the reason they hang with us is that
they think we are their mommies. Basically, they are kept in a state
of perpetual kittenhood, which may not be perfect control, but still
represents a little bit of futzing around with their heads.

With dogs, of course, there's that little control switch. Behind the
ears on the majority of models.

Miche

Aug 18, 2002, 5:21:59 PM8/18/02
In article <b2mvluodkccefgqut...@4ax.com>,
Douglas Berry <grid...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:44:51 -0700, a wanderer, known to us only as
> mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay) warmed at our fire and told this tale:
>
> >Dale <shado...@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> >> So, what are your fandom sins?
> >
> >I don't get Connie Willis, Gene Wolfe, and Jonathan Lethem. I get
> >Philip K. Dick and I hate it.
>
> Connie Willis is one of those authors I have to work at. I've been
> trying to read "To Say Nothing of the Dog" since it came out in
> paperback. Once I get into it I love her, but its getting past the
> first few chapters that is the problem. I had the same problem with
> Dune.

I was just the same with Guy Gavriel Kay. Now "The Lions of Al-Rassan"
(which I had to have three goes at) is one of my favourite books.

Miche

Aug 18, 2002, 5:38:11 PM8/18/02
shado...@aol.com (Dale) wrote:

> Dorothy Heydt writes:

> > Also, a dog will worship you,
> >but a cat may deign to like you (in which case it is a
> >great compliment).
>
> Why would anyone get a pet that chooses to like them? I want my pet to
> worship
> me.
> Would we accpet the friendship of some arrogant person who says "I choose to
> like you even though you are really lower than me."

I get a bit sick of people who generalize like that about cats. My cat
is devoted to me, and sometimes even clingy. She gets upset every time
I leave the house, and has been known to sit by the front door and meow
in a heartbroken fashion for up to ten minutes when I go out.

Kris Hasson-Jones

Aug 18, 2002, 5:40:01 PM8/18/02
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:39:37 -0400, mike weber
<mike....@electronictiger.com> posted the following for all the
world to see:

>On 18 Aug 2002 13:02:44 GMT, shado...@aol.com (Dale) typed
>
>>Dorothy Heydt writes:
>>
>se when I am rich ;)
>>
>>> Also, a dog will worship you,
>>>but a cat may deign to like you (in which case it is a
>>>great compliment).
>>
>>Why would anyone get a pet that chooses to like them? I want my pet to worship
>>me.
>>Would we accpet the friendship of some arrogant person who says "I choose to
>>like you even though you are really lower than me."
>
>Would you prefer the friendship of a person who says "I am compelled
>to like you by mind control," (which covers dogs) or of one who says
>"I choose to be your friend even though I don't have to."?

I prefer the friendship of someone who says "It's my nature to be in a
family with a role of my own, how about if you're part of my family?"
rather than a person who says "Well, I have needs, and I guess I can
tolerate you fulfilling them. But don't ask anything of me."

And I like both cats and dogs. I've had them both, sometimes
together.
--
Kris Hasson-Jones sni...@pacifier.com

Priscilla Ballou

Aug 18, 2002, 6:41:43 PM8/18/02
In article <i850mucsts1mrnno3...@4ax.com>,
Kettir <ket...@checkmysig.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:44:51 -0700, mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay) wrote:
>
> >I spend a lot of time by myself in the normal course of my life and it
> >can be hard for me to be around a lot of people and be sociable. At
> >least once a con I find myself looking around thinking, "I don't like
> >any of these people. None of them like me. What am I doing here?"
> >This is, of course, untrue and it is a signal that it is time for me to
> >spend some quality time alone in my room.
>

> I've always thought fen were more approachable than, say, people at a
> random party you happen to be invited to. What say you all, would you
> be offended if someone started talking to you at a gathering? Not one
> of those focused rants, or a detailed description of why Captain Kirk
> is better than Jean-Luc Picard, but just something reasonable about
> what's going on at the event? Or would you be just as happy to talk
> to someone you didn't know?

Sure, I'd be happy to talk to someone I don't know, but it seems that
everyone else is busy talking to a bunch of other people about stuff
they're all excited about, or else they're striding past purposefully on
their way to Serious Fan Things.

Priscilla Ballou

Aug 18, 2002, 6:47:16 PM8/18/02
In article <micheinnz-60736...@news.itconsult.net>,
Miche <mich...@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> In article <20020818090244...@mb-mt.aol.com>,
> shado...@aol.com (Dale) wrote:
>
> > Dorothy Heydt writes:
>
> > > Also, a dog will worship you,
> > >but a cat may deign to like you (in which case it is a
> > >great compliment).
> >
> > Why would anyone get a pet that chooses to like them? I want my pet to
> > worship
> > me.
> > Would we accpet the friendship of some arrogant person who says "I choose to
> > like you even though you are really lower than me."
>
> I get a bit sick of people who generalize like that about cats. My cat
> is devoted to me, and sometimes even clingy. She gets upset every time
> I leave the house, and has been known to sit by the front door and meow
> in a heartbroken fashion for up to ten minutes when I go out.

Yeah, those generalizations don't work all that well for me, either. My
Caley loves me madly and delights in weaving her way around my shoulders
and into my arms. I just need to look at her and speak to her and she
starts purring. She treats me as part mother, part kitten, part lover,
and she's convinced my face is always dirty and in need of a good scrub.
My Benjamin worries that he might have done something wrong and looks to
me for frequent reassurance that he's a Good Boy. He apologizes
wonderfully. I swear there must be a genetic link there somehow! My
little guy, Sebbie, thinks I'm his second Mom and bops around happily,
but every once in a while he needs to come up to me to touch base, for a
quick pet and a "Hello, squidgy!" from Mom. We're a family, an
interspecies family, but a family.

Dale

Aug 18, 2002, 6:48:27 PM8/18/02
D.Potter writes:

> I like Macs just fine.

I use Macs because they save me money. If I owned a PC, I would be spending
hundreds more a year on computer games. So Macs save me money in the long run.
My college was a Mac based campus so I got used to them.

><Pardon my shriek> DR. DEMENTO? YOU SAW DR. DEMENTO? </Pardon shriek>

We gave Dr.Demento a ride to the con. He signed the inside of my friends car.

>Hmmmmm. Next East Coast Worldcon is either Toronto or Boston (someone
>here will know).

Yes but I will be in Japan next year. I will probably check out Comiket (Comic
Market) It is a semi-annual con (December and August) devoted to Doujinshi (fan
made comics based upon anime and manga) It is several hundred thousand strong
in attendance.

David Bilek

Aug 18, 2002, 6:56:15 PM8/18/02
Kettir <ket...@checkmysig.com> wrote:

>On 18 Aug 2002 13:02:44 GMT, shado...@aol.com (Dale) wrote:
>
>>Why would anyone get a pet that chooses to like them? I want my pet to worship
>>me.
>>Would we accpet the friendship of some arrogant person who says "I choose to
>>like you even though you are really lower than me."
>

>It's not like that, really. It's more a case of, cats don't feel a
>compulsion to love or worship you. I have one, in fact, that wouldn't
>have anything to do with me for the first 10 years she lived with me,
>to the point of walking just out of my reach if I tried to pet her.
>O, the Cut Direct! She's decided to like me now though. At any rate,
>it's more like a Free Companion with a cat. I do like dogs though, I
>think they are sweethearts and humans don't deserve them on the whole.

I have a cat, so I understand what can be good about them. But why
would you put up with a cat who wouldn't have anything to do with you
for 10 years?

If my cat acted that way, he'd get a one way ticket outta here.

-David

Dale

Aug 18, 2002, 6:56:23 PM8/18/02
Kettir writes:

>My fandom sins...I'm not sure I have anything that even severely
>focussed fen

I have never been able to figure something out so maybe people here can tell
me.
What's the difference between fen and fan?
AFAICT it is an annoying, miniscule difference which causes thousands of hours
of needless debate.

Priscilla Ballou

Aug 18, 2002, 7:01:53 PM8/18/02
In article <20020818185623...@mb-cd.aol.com>,
shado...@aol.com (Dale) wrote:

Fen is fans in the aggregate. One of the fen is a fan. Fans make up
the fen.

Priscilal

Joel Rosenberg

Aug 18, 2002, 7:02:05 PM8/18/02
shado...@aol.com (Dale) writes:

> Kettir writes:
>

> >My fandom sins...I'm not sure I have anything that even severely
> >focussed fen
>
> I have never been able to figure something out so maybe people here can tell
> me.
> What's the difference between fen and fan?

Plural, and singular, respectively.

> AFAICT it is an annoying, miniscule difference which causes thousands of hours
> of needless debate.

The difference between plural and singular is important -- and I
suggest you read David Sedaris' essay in Me Talk Pretty One Day on the
subject.

Priscilla Ballou

Aug 18, 2002, 7:02:51 PM8/18/02
In article <ag90mu80cbom0ad3g...@4ax.com>,
David Bilek <dbi...@attbi.com> wrote:

That's kind of cold. Maybe it needed a home, to be taken care of?

Priscilla

Dale

Aug 18, 2002, 7:08:34 PM8/18/02
Kettir writes:

>Does anyone actually dislike Mark Twain? I mean, sure there are some
>things that he did that weren't to everyone's taste or were done to
>death in a Literature class (Jumping Frog, anyone?) but his stuff is
>just so universal.

There are a decent (but not a huge amount) of people who want to ban
Twain from middle and high school ciriculums because he uses the "N-word"
Actually Twain's use of the N-word is why
I would include him in middle and high school ciriculams because it can be used
to teach students about the prejudices of 19th century America and how language
becomes acceptable or unacceptable based upon changing societal attitudes.

Mark Jones

Aug 18, 2002, 6:49:05 PM8/18/02
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:09:25 GMT, Kip Williams <ki...@cox.net>'s OS
blew up like an imploding submarine, but the following SOS was heard:

>> Would you prefer the friendship of a person who says "I am compelled
>> to like you by mind control," (which covers dogs) or of one who says
>> "I choose to be your friend even though I don't have to."?
>
>Wellll, I think there's a degree of mind control with cats. They are
>not normally social animals once they reach adulthood, and from what
>I've been told (there was a PBS show on cats a few years back, which
>I've re-watched a time or two), the reason they hang with us is that
>they think we are their mommies. Basically, they are kept in a state
>of perpetual kittenhood, which may not be perfect control, but still
>represents a little bit of futzing around with their heads.

It's not just cats. It's my understanding that the act of
domesticating _any_ animal consists of essentially turning them into
perpetual juveniles of their species. The difference between a truly
wild animal and a domesticated animal is that the domesticated version
retains some features of immaturity all their lives
(including--happily, from our point of view--being far more tractable
than the truly wild versions).

--
Mark Jones

"You don't expect governments to obey the law because of some
higher moral development. You expect them to obey the law because
they know that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged."
-Michael Shirley

David Dyer-Bennet

Aug 18, 2002, 7:20:17 PM8/18/02
"D. Potter" <potter...@mac.com> writes:

> Timothy McDaniel wrote:
> > In article <2e1tlu4tm76m8ekd9...@4ax.com>,
> > Douglas Berry <grid...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Art useless? Anybody who says this is a heartless philistine and
> >>should be duct-taped to a wall.
> > Art is useless. (I even said it aloud just to be sure.) Please look
> > for me at bondage parties at Worldcon. Please, I beg you, sir.
> > Tim McDaniel, 17th level member of the Philistine Liberation
> > Organization
>
> Doms with duct tape. One shudders (pleasantly) to think.

Plastic wrap doesn't hurt when removed (which could be good or bad, of
course).

> How about silk scarves?

Can be hard to untie, and most people aren't willing to cut them.

Cable ties are handy too.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd...@dd-b.net / New TMDA anti-spam in test
John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net
Book log: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/Ouroboros/booknotes/

Mary Kay

Aug 18, 2002, 7:26:47 PM8/18/02
Kettir <ket...@checkmysig.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:44:51 -0700, mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay) wrote:
>
> >I spend a lot of time by myself in the normal course of my life and it
> >can be hard for me to be around a lot of people and be sociable. At
> >least once a con I find myself looking around thinking, "I don't like
> >any of these people. None of them like me. What am I doing here?"
> >This is, of course, untrue and it is a signal that it is time for me to
> >spend some quality time alone in my room.
>
> I've always thought fen were more approachable than, say, people at a
> random party you happen to be invited to. What say you all, would you
> be offended if someone started talking to you at a gathering? Not one
> of those focused rants, or a detailed description of why Captain Kirk
> is better than Jean-Luc Picard, but just something reasonable about
> what's going on at the event? Or would you be just as happy to talk
> to someone you didn't know?

I'm usually ok about someone I don't know initiating conversation.
Unless it's something like you said above. The issue isn't offended,
it's just being overloaded when you're not used to dealing with other
people a lot.

MKK
--
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary,
and those who don't.

Mary Kay

Aug 18, 2002, 7:26:47 PM8/18/02
Kettir <ket...@checkmysig.com> wrote:

> I am pretty much a lurker in "real life" fandom, I don't get out to
> many conventions alas, and as I don't have a car and I live in Central
> Ohio, I don't believe there are any groups around for me to get
> together with. That kinda makes me sad.

I'm having serious disconnect. Central Ohio is one of the best places
to live for congoing. Or at least it used to be. There are several
every year in both Detroit and Chicago. There's one in Indianapolis,
there are a couple in Columbus though I understand Marcon is seriously
downmarket these days. There's one in Cincinnati. There are a couple in
Tennessee and at least one in Kentucky. All those places I consider
easily driveable. Of course, I'm about to drive 800 miles from Seattle
to San Francisco, but I wouldn't call that easy...

Ray Radlein

Aug 18, 2002, 7:36:42 PM8/18/02
David Bilek wrote:

> Kettir <ket...@checkmysig.com> wrote:
> >
> >It's not like that, really. It's more a case of, cats don't feel a
> >compulsion to love or worship you. I have one, in fact, that
> >wouldn't have anything to do with me for the first 10 years she
> >lived with me, to the point of walking just out of my reach if I
> >tried to pet her. O, the Cut Direct! She's decided to like me now
> >though. At any rate, it's more like a Free Companion with a cat.
> >I do like dogs though, I think they are sweethearts and humans
> >don't deserve them on the whole.
>
> I have a cat, so I understand what can be good about them. But why
> would you put up with a cat who wouldn't have anything to do with
> you for 10 years?

Perhaps the cat was friendlier with someone *else* in the same
household?

- Ray R.

"Nero? Galba? Otho? Vitellius? All jerks. 'Nuff said."
- Taciturn, "Histories" 1:1

Ray Radlein - r...@learnlink.emory.edu
homepage coming soon! wooo, wooo.

mike weber

Aug 18, 2002, 7:37:31 PM8/18/02
On 18 Aug 2002 22:56:23 GMT, shado...@aol.com (Dale) typed

Well, there's that equally annoying minuscule difference between
:"man" and "men"...

Kip Williams

Aug 18, 2002, 7:41:44 PM8/18/02

Man + man = men.
Fan + fan = fen.
Phen + Phen = diet drug.

Kip Williams

Aug 18, 2002, 7:44:21 PM8/18/02
Kettir wrote:
> My fandom sins...I'm not sure I have anything that even severely
> focussed fen would call fandom sins. I like pretty much every kind of
> SF/Fantasy format (books, comics, movies, TV, whatever) so maybe my
> "sin" would be "not being severely focussed" but only to people who
> have lost their grip.

Or their glasses.

Well, maybe the glasses were in their grip.

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 18, 2002, 7:32:11 PM8/18/02
In article <kd50muoeni8odmjf8...@4ax.com>,
Kettir <ket...@checkmysig.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 00:24:47 -0400, Marilee J. Layman
><mjla...@erols.com> wrote:
>
>>The Kaiser docs are being moved to PDAs for notes and prescriptions
>>and so forth, he was thrilled he could send my Rx to Manassas just by
>>checking a box.
>
>I LOVE my PDA (a Palm Pilot M515). I've had enormous fun writing
>databases to organize my life via ThinkDB. I've got the Dragoncon
>schedule database ready, except the Dragoncon people haven't yet
>posted the agendas for several of the programming tracks. I even
>bought a modem for it so while I'm at Dragoncon I can check the
>website for last-minute changes. Anybody else enhancing their life
>with a PDA?

Hal recently got one. He puts his shopping lists in it,
and all the passwords for all his accounts (mostly
work-related), and all the phone numbers for all the
people who page him at odd moments asking him to phone
in and fix the system sight unseen.

I like, in concept, the idea of being able to carry
several books around with you and read 'em
electronically. However, I got a look at the text on a
Palm Pilot the other day. I cannot read that, my eyes
are too old. I would have the Giant Migraine that Sat
Down on Tokyo within twenty minutes.

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com
http://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 18, 2002, 7:33:37 PM8/18/02

Dale <shado...@aol.com> wrote:

>I have never been able to figure something out so maybe people here can tell
>me.
>What's the difference between fen and fan?
>AFAICT it is an annoying, miniscule difference which causes thousands of hours
>of needless debate.

Fen is the plural of fan. On the analogy of man/men.
It's a usage dating back into the days of fanzine fandom
(1940sish).

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 18, 2002, 7:29:53 PM8/18/02
In article <20020818190834...@mb-cd.aol.com>,

Oh yes. I would not necessarily give H. Finn to a grade
school kid, but someone who has gotten as far as high
school *needs* to read it, just in order to lead up to

"All right, I'll *go* to hell," and tore the paper up.

Ray Radlein

Aug 18, 2002, 7:46:46 PM8/18/02
Kip Williams wrote:

> Wellll, I think there's a degree of mind control with cats. They are
> not normally social animals once they reach adulthood, and from what
> I've been told (there was a PBS show on cats a few years back, which
> I've re-watched a time or two), the reason they hang with us is that
> they think we are their mommies. Basically, they are kept in a state
> of perpetual kittenhood, which may not be perfect control, but still
> represents a little bit of futzing around with their heads.

Actually, cats are much more social than they are typically given credit
for. Especially in environments where they don't have to compete with
each other for resources, they can live together in quite large social
structures. I remember one of those classic David Attenborough-style
hidden camera nature documentaries that followed mostly feral barn cats,
where mothers were nursing and caring for each other's kittens, and all
sorts of other social behaviors (grooming, etc.) were observed

I agree that the typical model with pets is parent/child, but don't
necessarily agree with the "perpetual kittenhood" model. I mean,
Persephone still has three of her kittens living with us, and it's
obvious that they look to her as a mother, but they clearly aren't
exactly her kittens anymore, either. And the "perpetual kittenhood"
model also fails, IMHO, to adequately account for cats who adopt human
families as mature adults.

Cally Soukup

Aug 18, 2002, 9:34:51 AM8/18/02
mike weber <mike....@electronictiger.com> wrote in article <bjntlu85ti5d2nk1s...@4ax.com>:
> On 17 Aug 2002 21:03:19 GMT, shado...@aol.com (Dale) typed

>>Every fandom person I have ever met seems to think cats as the best animal in
>>the world

> Well, they are.

> But the next-best is a big wuffly dog with which (after you and the
> cat finish sneering at all the peasants out there), as you say, you
> can roll around.

> Saint Bernards, Great Danes and Irish Wolfhounds qualify.

Saint Bernards are too drooly. But there's a Great Pyranees (damn, I
know that's spelled wrong) down at the end of the block who's just a
big sweetie. Well, a huge sweetie, actually. I don't have the time or
the inclination to take care of a Big Dog, but I appreciate them when I
meet them.

--
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend
to the death your right to say it." -- Beatrice Hall

Cally Soukup sou...@pobox.com

David Bilek

Aug 18, 2002, 8:23:22 PM8/18/02
Ray Radlein <r...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote:

>David Bilek wrote:
>>
>> Kettir <ket...@checkmysig.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >It's not like that, really. It's more a case of, cats don't feel a
>> >compulsion to love or worship you. I have one, in fact, that
>> >wouldn't have anything to do with me for the first 10 years she
>> >lived with me, to the point of walking just out of my reach if I
>> >tried to pet her. O, the Cut Direct! She's decided to like me now
>> >though. At any rate, it's more like a Free Companion with a cat.
>> >I do like dogs though, I think they are sweethearts and humans
>> >don't deserve them on the whole.
>>
>> I have a cat, so I understand what can be good about them. But why
>> would you put up with a cat who wouldn't have anything to do with
>> you for 10 years?
>
>Perhaps the cat was friendlier with someone *else* in the same
>household?

Er, that could be, yeah. I would have expected a "We have one"
instead of an "I have one" in that case, but I admit that may be off
base.

-David

Timothy McDaniel

Aug 18, 2002, 8:33:24 PM8/18/02
In article <m265y7z...@gw.dd-b.net>,
David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net> wrote:

>"D. Potter" <potter...@mac.com> writes:
>> How about silk scarves?
>
>Can be hard to untie, and most people aren't willing to cut them.

I have a dim understanding that silk can cut when tightened (like,
say, struggling) and that knots can loosen or tighten.

>Cable ties are handy too.

I learned in Melbourne several useful things:
- cable ties can tighten over time (like inferior handcuffs)
- you can twist your wrists to break cable ties off them
I would worry about cable ties and struggling, though:
aside from the ever-tightening noose part, the sharp edges might, I
suppose, cause damage.

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com; tm...@us.ibm.com is my work address

David Burns

Aug 18, 2002, 8:43:25 PM8/18/02
"Antony J. Shepherd" <d...@spammenot.btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Not me. Don't like cats at all. For a start they totally impede my ability
> to breathe through my nose.

I don't think you are using them correctly

--
"Remember, Information is not knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom; Wisdom is
not truth; Truth is not beauty; Beauty is not love; Love is not music; Music

Michael Kube-McDowell

Aug 18, 2002, 8:55:57 PM8/18/02
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:02:10 GMT, Kettir <ket...@checkmysig.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 00:24:47 -0400, Marilee J. Layman
><mjla...@erols.com> wrote:
>
>>The Kaiser docs are being moved to PDAs for notes and prescriptions
>>and so forth, he was thrilled he could send my Rx to Manassas just by
>>checking a box.
>
>I LOVE my PDA (a Palm Pilot M515). I've had enormous fun writing
>databases to organize my life via ThinkDB. I've got the Dragoncon
>schedule database ready, except the Dragoncon people haven't yet
>posted the agendas for several of the programming tracks. I even
>bought a modem for it so while I'm at Dragoncon I can check the
>website for last-minute changes. Anybody else enhancing their life
>with a PDA?

My PDA is a 5x7 spiral-bound notepad with a pen clipped inside one end
of the spiral.

And that's part of one of -my- fannish sins: I'm not an early adopter
of all things kewl and electronic.* I wait for the mass market prices
and the Rev 4.0 maturity.

K-Mac

*The most notable exception has to do with personal computers; I
bought my first in 1982, principally as a writing tool--I couldn't
face writing and revising another novel on a typewriter. OTOH, I
bought an IBM PC, which some folks probably think invalidates the
exception.

--
Michael Kube-McDowell, author and packrat
SF and other bad habits: http://k-mac.home.att.net

It is loading more messages.