Cons in the DC area -- a complete list

1 view

Keith F. Lynch

May 1, 2009, 7:44:54 PM5/1/09
Three days ago, in a side branch of the Thread From Hell, I said
to Jette:

> Thanks. I think I've tracked down every SF con ever held in the DC
> area. But not media cons.

I'm wondering if this is in fact true. In a desperate attempt to
wrench this newsgroup back on topic, let me try to make a complete
list of SF (and fantasy) cons in the Washington, DC area:

Capclave, every year from 2001 through the present.

Castlecon, every year from 1988 through 2003 (though several of them
in the '90s were in Frederick).

Conterpoint (a filk convention) 1996, 2000, 2001, 2004, and 2007.

Corflu, 1986 and 1994.

Datclave, 1980. (All other WSFA February/March relaxacons were held
outside the DC area.)

Disclave, every year from 1950 through 1997 (except 1952, 1954-1957,
and 1963-1964).

Discons I and II in 1963 and 1974 (Worldcons).

Evecon, once a year from late 1983 through early 2004. (Since it was
held around New Year's Eve, there were sometimes two in a calendar
year and sometimes none, even though they were always about a year
apart.) (Four or five of them in the '90s were in Frederick.)

Gaylaxicon, 1994, 1999, 2000, and 2008.

SMOFcon (a con for conrunners), 1984 and 2004.

Unicon, every year from 1975 through 1989 except 1981 and 1986 (though
1987 and 1988 were held in Annapolis).

Weaponscon 3, 1989.

The World Fantasy Convention, 2003.

I am not counting media cons, i.e. cons devoted to Star Trek, anime,
Higlander, Famous Monsters from Filmland, etc. Nor am I counting
gaming cons, hacker cons, mystery cons, comics cons, events held in
homes, churches, or outdoors rather than in hotels or convention
centers, or events that were called meetings, parties, picnics,
weddings, or funerals, or events held closer to Baltimore, Richmond,
Annapolis, Gettysburg, Frederick, Blacksburg, etc., than to DC.

Am I forgetting any? Was there really nothing prior to 1974 except
Disclave and one Worldcon?

I wouldn't mind seeing similar threads about other cities.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Harry Mary Andruschak

May 1, 2009, 9:17:30 PM5/1/09
On May 1, 4:44 pm, "Keith F. Lynch" <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
> Am I forgetting any?  Was there really nothing prior to 1974 except
> Disclave and one Worldcon?
>
> I wouldn't mind seeing similar threads about other cities.

Hmmmm....been a long time since I was at a convention. I wonder if
CORFLU and DITTO are still around? My last Worldcon may have been
1998,

Keith F. Lynch

May 1, 2009, 9:35:59 PM5/1/09
Harry Mary Andruschak <adopts...@aol.com> wrote:
> Hmmmm....been a long time since I was at a convention. I wonder if
> CORFLU and DITTO are still around?

Corflu is still around. As I said, it's only been in the DC area
twice, in 1986 and 1994. I don't know if Ditto is still around.
I can find no evidence of one being held since 2005. Ditto has
never been held in the DC area.

> My last Worldcon may have been 1998,

I thought you had said 1988. Which city was it in? 1988 was New
Orleans, 1998 was in Baltimore.

Harry Mary Andruschak

May 1, 2009, 11:17:38 PM5/1/09
On May 1, 6:35 pm, "Keith F. Lynch" <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

> Harry Mary Andruschak <adoptsoldc...@aol.com> wrote:
> > My last Worldcon may have been 1998,
>
> I thought you had said 1988.  Which city was it in?  1988 was New
> Orleans, 1998 was in Baltimore.

It was indeed the 1988 Worldcon in New Orleans. Work schedules, money
problems, and other priorities have prevented me from going to many
conventions since 1988.

David V. Loewe, Jr

May 1, 2009, 11:38:02 PM5/1/09
On 1 May 2009 19:44:54 -0400, "Keith F. Lynch" <k...@KeithLynch.net>
wrote:

>Three days ago, in a side branch of the Thread From Hell, I said

>to Jette:
>
>> Thanks. I think I've tracked down every SF con ever held in the DC
>> area. But not media cons.
>
>I'm wondering if this is in fact true. In a desperate attempt to
>wrench this newsgroup back on topic, let me try to make a complete
>list of SF (and fantasy) cons in the Washington, DC area:

Would these be the Long Con or the Short Con?

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around
for a coffin."
- H. L. Mencken

Tim McDaniel

May 4, 2009, 11:09:04 AM5/4/09
In article <gtg1hm$in0$1...@panix3.panix.com>,

Keith F. Lynch <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>Datclave, 1980. (All other WSFA February/March relaxacons were held
>outside the DC area.)

For those unaware, Datclave is a weekend relaxicon starting on every
fifth Friday of February. Ergo, it is held only once every 28 years.
Last year was Datclave II. <http://file770.com/?tag=datclave>

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com

Kevin G. Austin

Jul 23, 2009, 3:09:20 PM7/23/09
On 2009-05-02, Keith F. Lynch <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
> Corflu is still around. As I said, it's only been in the DC area
> twice, in 1986 and 1994. I don't know if Ditto is still around.
> I can find no evidence of one being held since 2005. Ditto has
> never been held in the DC area.

It appears there was a Ditto held in 2007.

An announcement:

<http://community.livejournal.com/sfinsf/20646.html>

A Fancyclopedia mention:

<http://fancyclopedia.editme.com/DITTOCONVENTION>

Some pictures from the event:

<http://www.mikeandkaren.org/mikespix/2007/10-26-ArtCon/Saturday/>

I can't find anything about a 2008 or 2009 Ditto. It's a shame if
it really has died because I'd think that next year would be the
ideal year to have a Ditto considering the fact that Corflu will be
in the UK.

--
Kevin G. Austin || kau...@sffan.net || <http://sffan.net/kaustin/>
This post supports Minneapolis in 73 <http://www.mnstf.org/mpls73/>

GeekGirl

Jul 23, 2009, 4:26:06 PM7/23/09
On Jul 23, 3:09 pm, "Kevin G. Austin" <kaus...@sffan.net> wrote:
> On 2009-05-02, Keith F. Lynch <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>
> > Corflu is still around.  As I said, it's only been in the DC area
> > twice, in 1986 and 1994.  I don't know if Ditto is still around.
> > I can find no evidence of one being held since 2005.  Ditto has
> > never been held in the DC area.
>
> It appears there was a Ditto held in 2007.

But not in DC.

GeekGirl

Keith F. Lynch

Jul 23, 2009, 8:07:49 PM7/23/09
Kevin G. Austin <kau...@sffan.net> wrote:
> Keith F. Lynch <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>> Corflu is still around. As I said, it's only been in the DC area
>> twice, in 1986 and 1994. I don't know if Ditto is still around.
>> I can find no evidence of one being held since 2005. Ditto has
>> never been held in the DC area.

> It appears there was a Ditto held in 2007.

Thanks.