Will Someone PLEASE pick up Dr Who?

1 view

Michael Hopcroft

Jul 5, 2005, 4:42:12 AM7/5/05
Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.

Howard S Shubs

Jul 5, 2005, 7:52:46 AM7/5/05
"Michael Hopcroft" <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:

Maybe SciFi?

--
Though I've tried, I've fallen... / I have sunk so low
I have messed up / Better I should know

Sea Wasp

Jul 5, 2005, 8:21:28 AM7/5/05
Howard S Shubs wrote:
> In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> "Michael Hopcroft" <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
>

>>Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
>>new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
>>we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
>

> Maybe SciFi?

I dunno. Given the overall "taste" I've seen on SciFi of late, I'd
suspect Dr. Who would be wayyyyy too upscale for them now.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Kevrob

Jul 5, 2005, 1:09:14 PM7/5/05
Sea Wasp wrote:
> Howard S Shubs wrote:
> > In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > "Michael Hopcroft" <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
> >>new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
> >>we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
> >

> > Maybe SciFi?
> >

> I dunno. Given the overall "taste" I've seen on SciFi of late, I'd
> suspect Dr. Who would be wayyyyy too upscale for them now.

BBC America won't show it? I'd have thought that would be
a way to get more cable systems to carry it.

Kevin

The Doctor

Jul 5, 2005, 1:24:19 PM7/5/05

Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.
--
Member - Liberal International
This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca

Peter Meilinger

Jul 5, 2005, 2:19:42 PM7/5/05
Sea Wasp <seawasp...@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
>Howard S Shubs wrote:

>> Maybe SciFi?

> I dunno. Given the overall "taste" I've seen on SciFi of late, I'd
>suspect Dr. Who would be wayyyyy too upscale for them now.

Does Dr. Who fight giant snakes? Or giant sharks? Or giant eels?
Or giant dinocrocs? If not, he has no place on the Sci-Fi channel!

Unless he trades in his Tardis for a Stargate, of course.

Pete

Elvis Gump

Jul 5, 2005, 2:42:49 PM7/5/05
in article daefo3$gmn$1...@gallifrey.nk.ca, The Doctor at
doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca wrote on 7/5/05 12:24 PM:

> In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
>> Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
>> new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
>> we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.

> Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.

Maybe while they're at it they could overthrow our government and annex us?
--
"I'm not fat. I'm Clintonesque!"
-- Drew Carey

Bateau

Jul 5, 2005, 2:43:07 PM7/5/05
Sea Wasp <seawasp...@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
>Howard S Shubs wrote:
>> In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> "Michael Hopcroft" <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
>>>new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
>>>we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
>>

>> Maybe SciFi?
>>

> I dunno. Given the overall "taste" I've seen on SciFi of late, I'd
>suspect Dr. Who would be wayyyyy too upscale for them now.

Nah it's just their level of crap.

Bateau

Jul 5, 2005, 2:42:50 PM7/5/05

Forget it it's a fucking pile of shit.

Michael Kube-McDowell

Jul 5, 2005, 2:53:44 PM7/5/05
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 17:24:19 +0000 (UTC), doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
carefully left the following thoughtprints where they could be seen:

>In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
>>Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
>>new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
>>we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
>>

>Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.

Here in Michigan, it is. We've watched the whole season run without having to
resort to any methods with dubious ethical foundations.

Love CBC. Wish the US had something comparable.

--
Michael P. Kube-McDowell, author and packrat
SF and other bad habits: http://www.kube-mcdowell.com

The Doctor

Jul 5, 2005, 4:21:04 PM7/5/05
In article <ELGdnTnPMag...@comcast.com>,

Michael Kube-McDowell <K-...@sff.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 17:24:19 +0000 (UTC), doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
>carefully left the following thoughtprints where they could be seen:
>
>>In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>>Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
>>>Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
>>>new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
>>>we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
>>>

>>Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.
>
>Here in Michigan, it is. We've watched the whole season run without having to
>resort to any methods with dubious ethical foundations.
>
>Love CBC. Wish the US had something comparable.

I thought PBS was comparable.

The Doctor

Jul 5, 2005, 4:20:30 PM7/5/05
In article <BEF03ED9.75E92%elvisg...@SPAM.fastmail.us>,

Does the CIA/FBI know where you live?

Elvis Gump

Jul 5, 2005, 4:36:23 PM7/5/05
in article daeq2e$p0q$3...@gallifrey.nk.ca, The Doctor at
doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca wrote on 7/5/05 3:20 PM:

> In article <BEF03ED9.75E92%elvisg...@SPAM.fastmail.us>,
> Elvis Gump <elvisg...@SPAM.fastmail.us> wrote:
>> in article daefo3$gmn$1...@gallifrey.nk.ca, The Doctor at
>> doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca wrote on 7/5/05 12:24 PM:

>>> Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.

>> Maybe while they're at it they could overthrow our government and annex us?

> Does the CIA/FBI know where you live?

Prolly.
--
"Modesty is a vastly overrated virtue."
-- J.K. Galbraith

Framester

Jul 5, 2005, 5:05:38 PM7/5/05
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:53:44 -0400, Michael Kube-McDowell
<roadw...@k-mac.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 17:24:19 +0000 (UTC), doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
>carefully left the following thoughtprints where they could be seen:
>
>>In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>>Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
>>>Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
>>>new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
>>>we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
>>>

>>Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.
>
>Here in Michigan, it is. We've watched the whole season run without having to
>resort to any methods with dubious ethical foundations.
>
>Love CBC. Wish the US had something comparable.

CBC is available for American cable and satelite companies to pick up,
and I did ask Direct TV to do so.

But I had to settle for having a friend download each episode (other
than Rose which I nabbed) and stream it to his TV through his XBox. I
had no ethical qualms with it at all.

Kip Williams

Jul 5, 2005, 5:57:12 PM7/5/05
The Doctor wrote:

> In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
>
>>Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
>>new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
>>we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
>
> Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.

No doubt this is old hat to Whovians, but the ones in Houston -- when we
lived there, 20 years back -- mobilized to keep the show on their public
station for years. They would, as a group, work the pledge drives, and
in return they got their show. Admirable. If there was a show that got
that kind of agreement nowadays, I'd see if anybody would go for that.
(That wouldn't be Dr. Who, though; I'm just not into it.)

Kip W

Sea Wasp

Jul 5, 2005, 6:14:25 PM7/5/05

You are, of course, wrong. In case you have an impulse to argue with
me, note that you would automatically be wrong for so doing. HTH. HAND.

Howard S Shubs

Jul 5, 2005, 7:25:32 PM7/5/05
In article <42CA7B4C...@obvioussgeinc.com>,
Sea Wasp <seawasp...@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:

> I dunno. Given the overall "taste" I've seen on SciFi of late, I'd
> suspect Dr. Who would be wayyyyy too upscale for them now.

I wouldn't know. When the cancelled Farscape, they cancelled the only
show I was watching on them. Time for a real SF channel, maybe.

Major ChrisB

Jul 5, 2005, 7:46:17 PM7/5/05

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

> In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
>>Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
>>new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
>>we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
>>

> Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.

You cna leagally buy the boxset. It's not against the law to import a dvd
from the UK...I import from the Us all the time. You'll have to pay tax on
it if it's over a certain value but it shouldn't be much
.

Michael Hopcroft

Jul 5, 2005, 7:49:34 PM7/5/05
PBS is not comperable in the least. Canadians, like Britons, pay a
license fee for TVs that goes towards the operations of the Canadian
Broadcasting Corproation. Unlike the BBC, though, this is only enough
for them to produce news and a few series, so most of the content is
imported from the US and the UK.

The Doctor

Jul 5, 2005, 7:56:46 PM7/5/05
In article <hdtlc19jf3o1ocp47...@4ax.com>,

US Stations loses money. They look for it!

The Doctor

Jul 5, 2005, 7:57:13 PM7/5/05
In article <a4beb$42cb1bcb$5217bea2$25428@UNS>,

Provided you can play back Region 2.

The Doctor

Jul 5, 2005, 7:57:58 PM7/5/05
In article <1120607374....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

Canada does NOT pay a license fee.

We just pay income tax and let the government allocate the money for the
CBC.

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 5, 2005, 8:09:32 PM7/5/05
doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:daeq3g$p0q$4...@gallifrey.nk.ca:

> In article <ELGdnTnPMag...@comcast.com>,
> Michael Kube-McDowell <K-...@sff.net> wrote:
>>On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 17:24:19 +0000 (UTC), doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The
>>Doctor) carefully left the following thoughtprints where they could be
>>seen:

>>>Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.
>>
>>Here in Michigan, it is. We've watched the whole season run without
>>having to resort to any methods with dubious ethical foundations.
>>
>>Love CBC. Wish the US had something comparable.
>
> I thought PBS was comparable.

They used to be.

Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 5, 2005, 8:09:32 PM7/5/05
doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:daf6op$5ii$5...@gallifrey.nk.ca:

> In article <a4beb$42cb1bcb$5217bea2$25428@UNS>,
> Major ChrisB <cgbrannig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> You cna leagally buy the boxset. It's not against the law to import a
>> dvd from the UK...I import from the Us all the time. You'll have to pay
>> tax on it if it's over a certain value but it shouldn't be much.
>
> Provided you can play back Region 2.

Trivial to buy a player that will do so.

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 5, 2005, 8:09:31 PM7/5/05
Elvis Gump <elvisg...@SPAM.fastmail.us> appears to have caused the

following letters to be typed in

They do now.

Gary

Jul 5, 2005, 8:22:29 PM7/5/05
In article <BEF03ED9.75E92%elvisg...@SPAM.fastmail.us>,
elvisg...@SPAM.fastmail.us says...
we wouldn't notice; we're way too busy watching the middle east to
notice a few Cannuks coming across the border.

Gary

Jul 5, 2005, 8:23:30 PM7/5/05
In article <daeq2e$p0q$3...@gallifrey.nk.ca>, doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
says...

> In article <BEF03ED9.75E92%elvisg...@SPAM.fastmail.us>,
> Elvis Gump <elvisg...@SPAM.fastmail.us> wrote:
> >in article daefo3$gmn$1...@gallifrey.nk.ca, The Doctor at
> >doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca wrote on 7/5/05 12:24 PM:

> >> Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.
> >
> >Maybe while they're at it they could overthrow our government and annex us?
>
> Does the CIA/FBI know where you live?

what a silly question: obviously not. they never seem to know where
anyone who threatens the country is.

Gary

Jul 5, 2005, 8:21:29 PM7/5/05
In article <daefo3$gmn$1...@gallifrey.nk.ca>, doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
says...

> In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
> >Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
> >new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
> >we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
> >

> Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.

Will Someone PLEASE pick up Dr Who?

depends upon the actor; CE might be a little too hefty for us to lift,
but I think we could manage DT (and I'd be willing to attempt to hoist
BP anytime).

Gary

Jul 5, 2005, 8:27:10 PM7/5/05
In article <daf6op$5ii$5...@gallifrey.nk.ca>, doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
says...

> In article <a4beb$42cb1bcb$5217bea2$25428@UNS>,
> Major ChrisB <cgbrannig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> >"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
> >>>

> >> Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.
> >
> >You cna leagally buy the boxset. It's not against the law to import a dvd
> >from the UK...I import from the Us all the time. You'll have to pay tax on
> >it if it's over a certain value but it shouldn't be much
> >.
> >

> Provided you can play back Region 2.

region-free dvd players are quite commonly available now (CircuitCity
and Best Buy usually carry one or two models) and extremely affordable
(<$50 USD). I'm waiting for a combo region-free and divx compatible
model to show up under $100.

The Doctor

Jul 5, 2005, 8:29:49 PM7/5/05
In article <Xns968AAE7BED8...@207.217.125.201>,

Matthew B. Tepper <oy兀earthlink.net> wrote:
>doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) appears to have caused the following
>letters to be typed in news:daf6op$5ii$5...@gallifrey.nk.ca:
>
>> In article <a4beb$42cb1bcb$5217bea2$25428@UNS>,
>> Major ChrisB <cgbrannig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> You cna leagally buy the boxset. It's not against the law to import a
>>> dvd from the UK...I import from the Us all the time. You'll have to pay
>>> tax on it if it's over a certain value but it shouldn't be much.
>>
>> Provided you can play back Region 2.
>
>Trivial to buy a player that will do so.

All a matter of demand and supply.

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 5, 2005, 8:30:15 PM7/5/05
Gary <m...@here.com> appears to have caused the following letters to be typed
in news:MPG.1d34ee18b...@news.giganews.com:

Can we lift him up by the ears?

The Doctor

Jul 5, 2005, 8:30:26 PM7/5/05
In article <MPG.1d34ee18b...@news.giganews.com>,

Write every station.

The Doctor

Jul 5, 2005, 8:32:00 PM7/5/05
In article <MPG.1d34ee533...@news.giganews.com>,

No go. There has to be internal strife.

Joel Polowin

Jul 5, 2005, 8:24:51 PM7/5/05
Major ChrisB wrote:
> You cna leagally buy the boxset. It's not against the law to import a dvd
> from the UK...I import from the Us all the time. You'll have to pay tax on
> it if it's over a certain value but it shouldn't be much

That requires having a device able to play the DVDs. I'd expect
the UK DVDs to be encoded for region 2 and/or 4, and PAL format.
Most DVD players available in North America can't play such DVDs,
nor can most of the standard computer DVD software. It's not
that hard to find hardware/software to play the discs with, but most
people don't have them.

--
Joel Polowin jpolow...@sympatico.ca but delete "XYZZy" from address
You don't understand! I'm Prisoner Number Six! I'm the guy they

Michael Hopcroft

Jul 5, 2005, 8:42:58 PM7/5/05

Bateau wrote:
> "Michael Hopcroft" <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
> >Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
> >new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
> >we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
>

> Forget it it's a fucking pile of shit.

What's wrong with it? I quite liked the episodes I got to see
(particularly "Dalek").

Kevin J. Maroney

Jul 5, 2005, 9:57:00 PM7/5/05
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:14:25 GMT, Sea Wasp <sea...@sgeinc.com> wrote:
>Bateau wrote:
[Something]

> You are, of course, wrong. In case you have an impulse to argue with
>me, note that you would automatically be wrong for so doing. HTH. HAND.

Note that he won the discussion directly you decided to respond to
him. PDFTT.

--
Kevin J. Maroney | k...@panix.com
Games are my entire waking life.

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 6, 2005, 12:39:00 AM7/6/05
doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:daf8n2$74k$2...@gallifrey.nk.ca:

> Write every station.

Ford ev'ry stream.

Nate Edel

Jul 6, 2005, 12:48:29 AM7/6/05
Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
> Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
> new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
> we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.

Nothing illegal about getting them via Amazon.co.uk now, is there? (Just
rather expensive, shipping-wise.)

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/

"This is not a humorous signature."

Nate Edel

Jul 6, 2005, 12:54:51 AM7/6/05
In rec.arts.sf.fandom Gary <m...@here.com> wrote:
> region-free dvd players are quite commonly available now (CircuitCity
> and Best Buy usually carry one or two models) and extremely affordable
> (<$50 USD). I'm waiting for a combo region-free and divx compatible
> model to show up under $100.

Under $40 at Target and Wal-Mart, for that matter, if such a store is
nearer.

For those deathly concerned about the DMCA, you could also order a UK model
DVD player and TV for your region 2 disks... (or see if you could find a
NTSC-capable Region-2 DVD player)

Jim Battista

Jul 6, 2005, 1:39:53 AM7/6/05
Sea Wasp <seawasp...@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote in

> Howard S Shubs wrote:
>> In article
>> <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

>> "Michael Hopcroft" <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick
>>>up the new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable
>>>here the sooner we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
>>

>> Maybe SciFi?

> I dunno. Given the overall "taste" I've seen on SciFi of
> late, I'd
> suspect Dr. Who would be wayyyyy too upscale for them now.

Their movies of the week certainly suck, but SciFi also brought out
the new Galactica, which is Good. The various Stargates don't suck
any worse than most tv shows, too.

--
Jim Battista
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Jim Battista

Jul 6, 2005, 1:44:16 AM7/6/05
Gary <m...@here.com> wrote in

> region-free dvd players are quite commonly available now
> (CircuitCity and Best Buy usually carry one or two models) and
> extremely affordable (<$50 USD). I'm waiting for a combo
> region-free and divx compatible model to show up under $100.

Philips 642. $50--75. Plays every format under the sun, *AND* you can
change regions with the remote, *AND* it converts PAL-->NTSC (good, but
not great).

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 6, 2005, 1:46:44 AM7/6/05
arch...@sfchat.org (Nate Edel) appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:td4sp2x...@mail.sfchat.org:

> Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
>> Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
>> new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
>> we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
>
> Nothing illegal about getting them via Amazon.co.uk now, is there? (Just
> rather expensive, shipping-wise.)

It wasn't so bad when I ordered the various seasons of "The Fall and Rise
of Reginald Perrin."

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 6, 2005, 1:46:51 AM7/6/05

Did he fall down?

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com

rom...@kokoski.com

Jul 6, 2005, 2:36:59 AM7/6/05

Jim Battista wrote:

> Philips 642. $50--75. Plays every format under the sun, *AND* you can
> change regions with the remote, *AND* it converts PAL-->NTSC (good, but
> not great).

Another vote for this player. I picked it on on a recommendation in
early May. It's the best investment I ever made.

So far plays every digital format I can throw at it, and it does great
on the Region 2 DW vanilla DVDs I've gotten (Disc 1 and 2).

Cost was $67 at Amazon, cheaper than my previous DVD players.

Bateau

Jul 6, 2005, 3:30:56 AM7/6/05

They never act in a logical way, the concepts and stories are lame, they
have no imagination.

Bateau

Jul 6, 2005, 3:31:25 AM7/6/05
Kevin J. Maroney <k...@panix.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:14:25 GMT, Sea Wasp <sea...@sgeinc.com> wrote:
>>Bateau wrote:
>[Something]
>
>> You are, of course, wrong. In case you have an impulse to argue with
>>me, note that you would automatically be wrong for so doing. HTH. HAND.
>
>Note that he won the discussion directly you decided to respond to
>him. PDFTT.

So it's trolling when you criticize something now?
FANBOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Wickstrom

Jul 6, 2005, 3:41:30 AM7/6/05
On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 05:46:51 GMT, in message
<IJ6yq...@kithrup.com>
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) caused electrons to dance
and photons to travel coherently in saying:

>Did he fall down?

Did Who fall down?

--
Doug Wickstrom <nims...@comcast.net>

"[R]ooting for truffles with our fangs in the air...." Julie Stampnitzky

Now filtering out all cross-posted messages and everything posted
through Google News.

808

Jul 6, 2005, 5:43:34 AM7/6/05
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:05:38 -0700, Framester <chris...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:53:44 -0400, Michael Kube-McDowell
><roadw...@k-mac.org> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 17:24:19 +0000 (UTC), doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
>>carefully left the following thoughtprints where they could be seen:

>>>Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.
>>

>>Here in Michigan, it is. We've watched the whole season run without having to
>>resort to any methods with dubious ethical foundations.
>>
>>Love CBC. Wish the US had something comparable.
>

>CBC is available for American cable and satelite companies to pick up,
>and I did ask Direct TV to do so.
>
>But I had to settle for having a friend download each episode (other
>than Rose which I nabbed) and stream it to his TV through his XBox. I
>had no ethical qualms with it at all.

Why stop at just freeloading off the UK TV licence fee payers? Why
not wire up your TV to the neighbour's electricity supply as well?

Kip Williams

Jul 6, 2005, 6:13:47 AM7/6/05
Doug Wickstrom wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 05:46:51 GMT, in message
> <IJ6yq...@kithrup.com>
> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) caused electrons to dance
> and photons to travel coherently in saying:
>
>>Did he fall down?
>
> Did Who fall down?

Third Base!

Kip W

solar....@tiscali.co.uk

Jul 6, 2005, 6:21:10 AM7/6/05
--- Yads said...

> US Stations loses money. They look for it!

Have they tried looking under the cushions on the sofa?
That's where my lost money usually turns up.

Message has been deleted

Sea Wasp

Jul 6, 2005, 8:30:28 AM7/6/05
Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) appears to have caused the following
> letters to be typed in news:daf8n2$74k$2...@gallifrey.nk.ca:
>

>>Write every station.
>

> Ford ev'ry stream.

Take off every 'Zig'!

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Sea Wasp

Jul 6, 2005, 8:29:48 AM7/6/05
Kevin J. Maroney wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:14:25 GMT, Sea Wasp <sea...@sgeinc.com> wrote:
>
>>Bateau wrote:
>
> [Something]
>

>> You are, of course, wrong. In case you have an impulse to argue with
>>me, note that you would automatically be wrong for so doing. HTH. HAND.
>

> Note that he won the discussion directly you decided to respond to
> him. PDFTT.

He is not Terry yet. He needs to go quite a ways before he can
aspire to such a rank.

Ignis Fatuus

Jul 6, 2005, 8:46:42 AM7/6/05
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 04:39:00 GMT, "Matthew B. Tepper"
<oy兀earthlink.net> wrote:

>doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) appears to have caused the following
>letters to be typed in news:daf8n2$74k$2...@gallifrey.nk.ca:
>
>> Write every station.
>
>Ford ev'ry stream.

Follow ev'ry wavelength.

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 8:56:50 AM7/6/05
In article <42CB24D...@sympatico.ca>,

Joel Polowin <jpolow...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Major ChrisB wrote:
>> You cna leagally buy the boxset. It's not against the law to import a dvd
>> from the UK...I import from the Us all the time. You'll have to pay tax on
>> it if it's over a certain value but it shouldn't be much
>
>That requires having a device able to play the DVDs. I'd expect
>the UK DVDs to be encoded for region 2 and/or 4, and PAL format.
>Most DVD players available in North America can't play such DVDs,
>nor can most of the standard computer DVD software. It's not
>that hard to find hardware/software to play the discs with, but most
>people don't have them.

So we have to wait for the Region 1 edition to come out.
Maybe via the CBC ?-)

Nick

Jul 6, 2005, 8:57:53 AM7/6/05
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

> Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
> new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
> we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.

It is currently illegal to pick up the DVD boxes?

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 8:57:32 AM7/6/05
In article <Xns968ADC173EC...@207.217.125.201>,

Matthew B. Tepper <oy兀earthlink.net> wrote:
>doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) appears to have caused the following
>letters to be typed in news:daf8n2$74k$2...@gallifrey.nk.ca:
>
>> Write every station.
>
>Ford ev'ry stream.

IS this a HAL?

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 8:59:36 AM7/6/05
In article <1120631819....@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

Sounds like BYE! BYE! Toshiba. Does it play mp3?

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 8:59:04 AM7/6/05
In article <Xns968B7281B51...@69.28.186.121>,

Jim Battista <batt...@unt.edu> wrote:
>Gary <m...@here.com> wrote in
>
>> region-free dvd players are quite commonly available now
>> (CircuitCity and Best Buy usually carry one or two models) and
>> extremely affordable (<$50 USD). I'm waiting for a combo
>> region-free and divx compatible model to show up under $100.
>
>Philips 642. $50--75. Plays every format under the sun, *AND* you can
>change regions with the remote, *AND* it converts PAL-->NTSC (good, but
>not great).

GRAND!! DOes it have VHS capabilities?

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 9:00:14 AM7/6/05
In article <1120645270.0...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,

Audited banking statements usually does the trick.

Rob Wynne

Jul 6, 2005, 10:25:23 AM7/6/05

Though I live in the US, I'd happily pay a UK TV license fee in order to
receive BBC programming. Where do I send the cheque, and when can I
expect to start receiving the signal?

-R

Johan Larson

Jul 6, 2005, 10:33:10 AM7/6/05

"Matthew B. Tepper" <oy兀earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Gary <m...@here.com> appears to have caused the following letters to be
> typed
> in news:MPG.1d34ee18b...@news.giganews.com:
>
>> In article <daefo3$gmn$1...@gallifrey.nk.ca>, doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
>> says...

>>> Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.
>>>
>> Will Someone PLEASE pick up Dr Who?
>>
>> depends upon the actor; CE might be a little too hefty for us to lift,
>> but I think we could manage DT (and I'd be willing to attempt to hoist
>> BP anytime).
>
> Can we lift him up by the ears?

Risky. He might laugh, or he might delete from all time-streams all
occurences of all people who even vaguely resemble Matthew B. Tepper. It's
hard to tell in advance.

Johan Larson

Johan Larson

Jul 6, 2005, 10:37:07 AM7/6/05

"Framester" <chris...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:53:44 -0400, Michael Kube-McDowell
> <roadw...@k-mac.org> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 17:24:19 +0000 (UTC), doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The
>>Doctor)
>>carefully left the following thoughtprints where they could be seen:

>>>Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.
>>
>>Here in Michigan, it is. We've watched the whole season run without having
>>resort to any methods with dubious ethical foundations.
>>
>>Love CBC. Wish the US had something comparable.
>
> CBC is available for American cable and satelite companies to pick up,
> and I did ask Direct TV to do so.

If CBC programming becomes available in significant portions of the US,
isn't that going to play hell with the content-licencing contracts? Right
now I would guess the CBC only has Canadian broadcast rights to the stuff
they show.

Johan Larson

Framester

Jul 6, 2005, 10:42:51 AM7/6/05

Sign me up too.

Framester

Jul 6, 2005, 10:46:43 AM7/6/05
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:43:34 GMT, 808 <non...@nospam.com> wrote:

>>>Here in Michigan, it is. We've watched the whole season run without having to
>>>resort to any methods with dubious ethical foundations.
>>>
>>>Love CBC. Wish the US had something comparable.
>>
>>CBC is available for American cable and satelite companies to pick up,
>>and I did ask Direct TV to do so.
>>
>>But I had to settle for having a friend download each episode (other
>>than Rose which I nabbed) and stream it to his TV through his XBox. I
>>had no ethical qualms with it at all.
>
>Why stop at just freeloading off the UK TV licence fee payers? Why
>not wire up your TV to the neighbour's electricity supply as well?

You're not going to cry now, are you?

It's a show I wanted to see and I was going to see it whatever it
took. Sorry you don't (yaaawwn) approve......zzzzzzz.......zzzzzzz...

(PS, your example is shite because I can get electricity easily
without having to 'pirate' it, which wasn't the case with new Who,
plus in your example, my consumption actually added to my neighbors
bill, not the case with you. Wow, talk about the dumbest thing ever
said...)

Michael Hopcroft

Jul 6, 2005, 11:05:29 AM7/6/05

Reverse the polarity of every neutron flow!

Mask every tuxedo!

Michael Hopcroft

Jul 6, 2005, 11:03:02 AM7/6/05

Major ChrisB wrote:
> "The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
> > In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

> > Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
> >>Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
> >>new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
> >>we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
> >>

> > Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.
>

> You cna leagally buy the boxset. It's not against the law to import a dvd
> from the UK...I import from the Us all the time. You'll have to pay tax on
> it if it's over a certain value but it shouldn't be much

Are you sure? I thought that that was the INTENT of region coding in
the first place -- to prevent countries that are not lciensed to
recieve a certain film or video program from watching it.

Mind you, as an anime fan i have circumvented these sorts of things all
the time (and felt guilty about it). I think this was actually the idea
of the Japanese, because Japanese fans were finding it cheaper to buy
American VHS tapes than japanese ones -- and in addition were able to
import "unceosored" versions of hentai tapes they couldn't legally
posess in that bform in japan EVEN THOUGH THE SHOWS WERE, IN THEORY,
PRODUCED ORIGINALLY FOR THE JAPANESE MARKET.

Then again, there are a lot of things fans in many genres do on a
routine basis that are, at least under the letter of the law 9and a few
US Supreme Court decisions) prosecutable offenses that could land them
in jail. There are pieces of software on my hard drive that would
probably land me in the penitentiary if the FBi were to do a sweep of
my drive.

Michael Hopcroft

Jul 6, 2005, 11:16:15 AM7/6/05

Gary wrote:
> In article <daefo3$gmn$1...@gallifrey.nk.ca>, doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
> says...

> > In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
> > >Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
> > >new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
> > >we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
> > >

> > Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.
> >

> Will Someone PLEASE pick up Dr Who?
>
> depends upon the actor; CE might be a little too hefty for us to lift,
> but I think we could manage DT (and I'd be willing to attempt to hoist
> BP anytime).

If BP doesn't have a significnat other by now I would be extremely
surprised.

Anyone notice that Rose is the first companion in memory would could be
difnintiely stated to be non-virginal when she met the Doctor? She left
behind a boyfriend on Earth with whom she clearly had a physical
relationship. This would have been unheard of even in 1984. (on Dr who
earth there are probably still Missing Person posters for Perpugilliam
Brown with "last seen with" images of a composite sketch of the Peter
Davison Doctor).

And lots of people would want to pick up Christopher Eccleston judging
by the responses I've heard. Part of it may be the script editing of
russell Davies (creator of "wueer as Folk"), but the eccleston Doctor
seems to radiate a sort of raw sexual energy not seen in British SF
since the days of Gareth Thomas and Paul Darrow in Blakes 7. (I would
mention Jaqueline Pearce, who as of 12004 was still hot has hell even
with graying hair, but sexuality on the fast boil was always INTENDED
to be a huge part of Servalan's appeal and of her career persona).

And although I haven't seen him yet, the new series does have Captain
jack Hawkins, a pseduo-companion who is openly bisexual (hit hits on
both Rose AND the Doctor at various points in the story in which he is
intorudced -- of course the Doctor is hit on by PLANT LIFE in this
incarnation....)

Nick

Jul 6, 2005, 11:17:14 AM7/6/05
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

"Motion picture studios want to control the home release of movies in
different countries because theater releases aren't simultaneous (a movie
may come out on video in the U.S. when it's just hitting screens in
Europe).

Also, studios sell distribution rights to different foreign distributors
and would like to guarantee an exclusive market. Therefore they required
that the DVD standard include codes that can be used to prevent playback
of certain discs in certain geographical regions. Each player is given a
code for the region in which it's sold. The player will refuse to play
discs that are not coded for its region. This means that discs bought in
one country may not play on players bought in another country.

Some people believe that region codes are an illegal restraint of trade,
but there have been no legal cases to establish this. Regional codes are
entirely optional for the maker of a disc. Discs without region locks will
play on any player in any country. It's not an encryption system, it's
just one byte of information on the disc that the player checks."

You can see the rest here:
http://www.warnerbros.co.nz/main/FAQ/regions.asp

Ryan P.

Jul 6, 2005, 11:25:14 AM7/6/05
Gary wrote:

> In article <BEF03ED9.75E92%elvisg...@SPAM.fastmail.us>,
> elvisg...@SPAM.fastmail.us says...
>
>>in article daefo3$gmn$1...@gallifrey.nk.ca, The Doctor at
>>doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca wrote on 7/5/05 12:24 PM:

>>>Whenever. Maybe the CBC should be picked up in the USA.
>>

>>Maybe while they're at it they could overthrow our government and annex us?
>>

> we wouldn't notice; we're way too busy watching the middle east to
> notice a few Cannuks coming across the border.

Suddenly I'm reminded of the movie "Canadian Bacon."

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 6, 2005, 11:37:42 AM7/6/05
Kip Williams <ki...@cox.net> appears to have caused the following letters to
be typed in news:s9Oye.25030$FP2.10386@lakeread03:

Niagara Falls!

Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 6, 2005, 11:37:43 AM7/6/05
Nick <nickSP...@snurcker.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:Xns968B510...@204.153.244.170:

By the ears?

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 6, 2005, 11:37:43 AM7/6/05
Ignis Fatuus <Ig...@fatuusisland.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:3kknc1tssvni7ec3u...@4ax.com:

'Til you find your beam.

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 6, 2005, 11:37:42 AM7/6/05
Nick <nickSP...@snurcker.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:Xns968B68A...@204.153.244.170:

> "Some people believe that region codes are an illegal restraint of trade,
> but there have been no legal cases to establish this."

Nope, just logic and truth.

David G. Bell

Jul 6, 2005, 11:08:56 AM7/6/05
On Wednesday, in article
<re2dnTSNu5k...@comcast.com>
johan0larson8comcast0net "Johan Larson" wrote:

This certainly seems to be the usual sticking point.

But if CBC was doing significant business in the USA, I'm sure it would
be reflected in the price they would have to pay.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."

Philip Chee

Jul 6, 2005, 12:18:38 PM7/6/05
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 05:44:16 GMT, Jim Battista wrote:
> Gary <m...@here.com> wrote in

>> region-free dvd players are quite commonly available now
>> (CircuitCity and Best Buy usually carry one or two models) and
>> extremely affordable (<$50 USD). I'm waiting for a combo
>> region-free and divx compatible model to show up under $100.

> Philips 642. $50--75. Plays every format under the sun, *AND* you can
> change regions with the remote, *AND* it converts PAL-->NTSC (good, but
> not great).

Um, my Philips 642 is multiregion/region free out of the box without having
to change regions with the remote. All Japanese/Korean/Chinese DVD players
are region-free out of the box. Only the expensive european Hi-Fi models are
region locked.

Phil
-==-
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>
http://fashblock.mozdev.org/
[ ]I'm practicing assertiveness. Do you think that's okay?
* TagZilla 0.059

Patty Winter

Jul 6, 2005, 12:56:32 PM7/6/05

Johan Larson <johan0larson8comcast0net> wrote:

>If CBC programming becomes available in significant portions of the US,
>isn't that going to play hell with the content-licencing contracts? Right
>now I would guess the CBC only has Canadian broadcast rights to the stuff
>they show.

Except that they show almost no U.S. programs. The only two that come
to mind from what I've seen on their listings are "Wonderful World of
Disney" (the two-hour Sunday night Disney family movie program) and
reruns (not first-run episodes) of "The Simpsons." Lots of stations
have syndication rights to "The Simpsons" already, and maybe WWoD
could be blacked out or covered over with the U.S. feed, just the
reverse of the simsub that happens over U.S. networks in Canada.
What happens now in the border areas where cable systems carry CBC?

NBC would probably not be happy about the competition for Olympics
viewers, given the preponderance of CBC-positive, NBC-negative postings
that always show up on Usenet during the games. Dunno how much they could
do about stopping it, though.

So I've long thought that it would be pretty easy for the U.S. satellite
TV companies to carry CBC. They just don't seem to care.

Patty

Cally Soukup

Jul 6, 2005, 12:11:47 PM7/6/05
Matthew B. Tepper <oy?@earthlink.net> wrote in article <Xns968B578B11A...@207.217.125.201>:

> Kip Williams <ki...@cox.net> appears to have caused the following letters to
> be typed in news:s9Oye.25030$FP2.10386@lakeread03:

> > Doug Wickstrom wrote:
> >> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 05:46:51 GMT, in message
> >> <IJ6yq...@kithrup.com>
> >> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) caused electrons to dance
> >> and photons to travel coherently in saying:

> >> Did Who fall down?
> >
> > Third Base!

> Niagara Falls!

Slowly I turned....

--
"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death
your right to say it." -- Beatrice Hall

Cally Soukup sou...@pobox.com

Paul Dormer

Jul 6, 2005, 1:11:00 PM7/6/05
(Johan Larson) wrote:

> If CBC programming becomes available in significant portions of the US,
> isn't that going to play hell with the content-licencing contracts?
> Right now I would guess the CBC only has Canadian broadcast rights to
> the stuff they show.

The BBC send all their stuff out over digital satellite as well as
terrestrial analogue. When this started, they used the same encryption as
Sky television, who own the satellite. A couple of years ago, the BBC
decided to save money rather than pay Sky for the encryption. The trouble
was that the footprint for the satellite was so large, people in western
Europe could then see the BBC programmes free of charge, including the
ones the BBC had bought from abroad and had only UK rights to.

So the BBC moved to another satellite in close proximity to the Sky
satellite. This had a smaller footprint. Problem was, if your satellite
receiver wasn't set up correctly, the BBC programmes had a habit of
breaking up.

Paul Dormer

Jul 6, 2005, 1:11:00 PM7/6/05
mic...@mphpress.com (Michael Hopcroft) wrote:

> (I would
> mention Jaqueline Pearce, who as of 12004 was still hot has hell

Still looking good as she enters her second millennium.

Anna Feruglio Dal Dan

Jul 6, 2005, 2:10:11 PM7/6/05
Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:

> Are you sure? I thought that that was the INTENT of region coding in
> the first place -- to prevent countries that are not lciensed to
> recieve a certain film or video program from watching it.

Wether it's legal and wether it's something the producer approves of are
two different things. It's perfectly _legal _of you to buy a DVD from
another region; it's just that the producers are unhappy about it.
--
Anna Feruglio Dal Dan - ada...@spamcop.net - this is a valid address
homepage: http://www.fantascienza.net/sfpeople/elethiomel

Anna Feruglio Dal Dan

Jul 6, 2005, 2:10:12 PM7/6/05
Joel Polowin <jpolow...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Major ChrisB wrote:
> > You cna leagally buy the boxset. It's not against the law to import a dvd

> > from the UK...I import from the Us all the time. You'll have to pay tax on
> > it if it's over a certain value but it shouldn't be much
>

> That requires having a device able to play the DVDs. I'd expect
> the UK DVDs to be encoded for region 2 and/or 4, and PAL format.
> Most DVD players available in North America can't play such DVDs,
> nor can most of the standard computer DVD software. It's not
> that hard to find hardware/software to play the discs with, but most
> people don't have them.

The UK is chock-full of region-free players, although some DVDs are made
so that they can't be played on them.

Region-free DVD readers are not for sale here in Italy, but there are
ways to hack most DVD readers to make them region-free: this is
deprecated by the DVD makers but, at least in Italy, it's not illegal.
In most cases, you can do it yourself.

Murphoid

Jul 6, 2005, 2:14:14 PM7/6/05

Sea Wasp wrote:
> Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> > doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) appears to have caused the following

> > letters to be typed in news:daf8n2$74k$2...@gallifrey.nk.ca:
> >

> >>Write every station.
> >

> > Ford ev'ry stream.
> >

> Take off every 'Zig'!

For great justice take off every zig.
Move Zig. Move Zig. Move Zig. Move Zig.
You know what you do take off every zig.

Iain Odlin

Jul 6, 2005, 2:29:10 PM7/6/05
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:43:34 GMT, 808 <non...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Why stop at just freeloading off the UK TV licence fee payers? Why
>not wire up your TV to the neighbour's electricity supply as well?

Big words for someone too scared to sign even a made up name to his
post.

So, are those of us in the US who watched it legally on cable networks
that carry the CBC also "freeloading" off the 'UK licence fee payers'?

For that matter, how about all the Canadians who watched it on the CBC?
CBC is an OTA (over the air) channel in Canada, so many Canadians watched
it without paying a single penny! At least the freeloading Americans
had to pay their cable company to watch it, right? But the filthy theiving
Canadians got Doctor Who, the fruit of _your_ license fees, absolutely
free!

Makes your blood boil, doesn't it?

-Iain

Martin

Jul 6, 2005, 2:31:19 PM7/6/05
It's not as simple as just paying the 'licence' fee, there's also a pledge
of allegiance to the Queen, and at least pretending to like soccer.

Still.... send me the cheque & I'll see what I can do.

Ryan P.

Jul 6, 2005, 3:21:35 PM7/6/05
Martin wrote:

> It's not as simple as just paying the 'licence' fee, there's also a pledge
> of allegiance to the Queen, and at least pretending to like soccer.

See, you had me considering it until you mentioned soccer. Shot your
proposal to hell. :)

Dave O'Neill

Jul 6, 2005, 3:34:01 PM7/6/05

The Doctor wrote:
> In article <Xns968AAE7BED8...@207.217.125.201>,

> Matthew B. Tepper <oyþ@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) appears to have caused the following

> >letters to be typed in news:daf6op$5ii$5...@gallifrey.nk.ca:

> >> Provided you can play back Region 2.
> >
> >Trivial to buy a player that will do so.
> >

> All a matter of demand and supply.

I picked up a $30 DVD player at my local supermarket - it was pretty
easy to find a region hack for it on Google.

Dave

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 4:44:53 PM7/6/05
In article <fd2dnYYAMvc...@comcast.com>,
Johan Larson <johan0larson8comcast0net> wrote:

>"Matthew B. Tepper" <oy兀earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Gary <m...@here.com> appears to have caused the following letters to be
>> typed
>> in news:MPG.1d34ee18b...@news.giganews.com:

>>> In article <daefo3$gmn$1...@gallifrey.nk.ca>, doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
>>> says...

>>> Will Someone PLEASE pick up Dr Who?
>>>
>>> depends upon the actor; CE might be a little too hefty for us to lift,
>>> but I think we could manage DT (and I'd be willing to attempt to hoist
>>> BP anytime).
>>
>> Can we lift him up by the ears?
>
>Risky. He might laugh, or he might delete from all time-streams all
>occurences of all people who even vaguely resemble Matthew B. Tepper. It's
>hard to tell in advance.
>
>Johan Larson

He might capercaillie you down.
--
Member - Liberal International
This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca
God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
Canada Day 1 July, USA Day 4 July - PARTY ON!

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 4:45:31 PM7/6/05
In article <42CBE9D3...@america.net>, Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:
>808 wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:05:38 -0700, Framester <chris...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>(The Doctor)

>>>CBC is available for American cable and satelite companies to pick up,
>>>and I did ask Direct TV to do so.
>>>
>>>But I had to settle for having a friend download each episode (other
>>>than Rose which I nabbed) and stream it to his TV through his XBox. I
>>>had no ethical qualms with it at all.
>>
>> Why stop at just freeloading off the UK TV licence fee payers? Why
>> not wire up your TV to the neighbour's electricity supply as well?
>
>Though I live in the US, I'd happily pay a UK TV license fee in order to
>receive BBC programming. Where do I send the cheque, and when can I
>expect to start receiving the signal?
>
>-R

Jsut get PBS to order new DW.

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 4:50:44 PM7/6/05
In article <re2dnTSNu5k...@comcast.com>,

Johan Larson <johan0larson8comcast0net> wrote:

>"Framester" <chris...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:53:44 -0400, Michael Kube-McDowell
>> <roadw...@k-mac.org> wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 17:24:19 +0000 (UTC), doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The
>>>Doctor)
>>>carefully left the following thoughtprints where they could be seen:

>>>Here in Michigan, it is. We've watched the whole season run without having
>>>resort to any methods with dubious ethical foundations.
>>>
>>>Love CBC. Wish the US had something comparable.
>>
>> CBC is available for American cable and satelite companies to pick up,
>> and I did ask Direct TV to do so.
>
>If CBC programming becomes available in significant portions of the US,
>isn't that going to play hell with the content-licencing contracts? Right
>now I would guess the CBC only has Canadian broadcast rights to the stuff
>they show.
>
>Johan Larson

Corect, but they are limited to broadcasting in Canada. They
can broadcast in the USA IIRC. I am certain that CRTC in Canada
would permit that.

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 4:53:58 PM7/6/05
In article <3frnc1pf65uu1a3v0...@4ax.com>,
Framester <chris...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:25:23 -0400, Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:
>
>>808 wrote:

>(The Doctor)

>having to

>>> Why stop at just freeloading off the UK TV licence fee payers? Why
>>> not wire up your TV to the neighbour's electricity supply as well?
>>
>>Though I live in the US, I'd happily pay a UK TV license fee in order to
>>receive BBC programming. Where do I send the cheque, and when can I
>>expect to start receiving the signal?
>>
>>-R
>
>Sign me up too.

IF you want BBC entertainment in North America then we hope
they would listen.

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 4:55:48 PM7/6/05
In article <1120662182....@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

As long as you purchase legally, who cares?? Still Philips ROCK!!

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 4:56:19 PM7/6/05
In article <1120662329.5...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Michael Hopcroft <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:

>Ignis Fatuus wrote:

>> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 04:39:00 GMT, "Matthew B. Tepper"
>> <oy兀earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> >doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) appears to have caused the following
>> >letters to be typed in news:daf8n2$74k$2...@gallifrey.nk.ca:

>> >Ford ev'ry stream.
>>
>> Follow ev'ry wavelength.
>
>Reverse the polarity of every neutron flow!
>
>Mask every tuxedo!

Careful or the nuke will go off!

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 4:56:57 PM7/6/05
In article <uJSye.6582$Dv3....@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>,

Tell us more.

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 4:57:26 PM7/6/05
In article <Xns968B578B5B8...@207.217.125.201>,

Matthew B. Tepper <oyş@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Ignis Fatuus <Ig...@fatuusisland.com> appears to have caused the following
>letters to be typed in news:3kknc1tssvni7ec3u...@4ax.com:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 04:39:00 GMT, "Matthew B. Tepper"
>><oyş@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>>doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) appears to have caused the
>following
>>>letters to be typed in news:daf8n2$74k$2...@gallifrey.nk.ca:

>>>Ford ev'ry stream.
>>
>> Follow ev'ry wavelength.
>
>'Til you find your beam.

Sounds like WWII.

Michel Boucher

Jul 6, 2005, 5:04:51 PM7/6/05
"Johan Larson" <johan0larson8comcast0net> wrote in

>> CBC is available for American cable and satelite companies to
>> pick up, and I did ask Direct TV to do so.
>

> If CBC programming becomes available in significant portions of
> the US, isn't that going to play hell with the content-licencing
> contracts? Right now I would guess the CBC only has Canadian
> broadcast rights to the stuff they show.

I suspect the same could be true of US networks which are available in
Canada through cable or satellite.

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot

The Doctor

Jul 6, 2005, 5:04:07 PM7/6/05
In article <1120678441.6...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

Dave O'Neill <dav...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <Xns968AAE7BED8...@207.217.125.201>,
>> Matthew B. Tepper <oy兀earthlink.net> wrote:
>> >doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) appears to have caused the following
>> >letters to be typed in news:daf6op$5ii$5...@gallifrey.nk.ca:

>> >Trivial to buy a player that will do so.
>> >

>> All a matter of demand and supply.
>
>I picked up a $30 DVD player at my local supermarket - it was pretty
>easy to find a region hack for it on Google.
>
>Dave

ANd then there is:
http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/philips642.htm

Laura Burchard

Jul 6, 2005, 5:28:06 PM7/6/05
In article <howard-02DBDE....@news.supernews.com>,

Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:
>In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> "Michael Hopcroft" <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
>> Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
>> new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
>> we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.

>Maybe SciFi?

SciFi apparently already took a look at it, and passed on the grounds it
was 'too British'.

Laura

--
Laura Burchard -- l...@radix.net -- http://www.radix.net/~lhb

"Good design is clear thinking made visible." -- Edward Tufte

rom...@kokoski.com

Jul 6, 2005, 5:59:17 PM7/6/05
Yes, the Philips plays MP3, along with DIVX/XVID, MPEG, SVCD, VCD, DVD,
PAL, NTSC, multi-region, JPEG. Haven't tried WMA yet though.

It's a standalone DVD player. No VCR/VHS deck. Is that what you mean by
VHS?

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 6, 2005, 7:06:06 PM7/6/05
l...@radix.net (Laura Burchard) appears to have caused the following letters
to be typed in news:11coj76...@corp.supernews.com:

> In article <howard-02DBDE....@news.supernews.com>,
> Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:
>>In article <1120552932.6...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> "Michael Hopcroft" <mic...@mphpress.com> wrote:
>>> Will HBO or Showtime or SOMEBODY please get the message and pick up the
>>> new series of Doctor Who? The sooner it shows on cable here the sooner
>>> we Yanks can legally pick up the DVD boxes.
>
>>Maybe SciFi?
>
> SciFi apparently already took a look at it, and passed on the grounds it
> was 'too British'.

Presumably if it had been a series with Canadian production teams, shot on
Canadian sets with Canadian writers and British actors, it would have
appealed to them more.

Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!

It is loading more messages.