Einblatt sf-related events & news, Twin Cities, MN

1 view

Dan Goodman

Sep 10, 2005, 6:42:06 PM9/10/05
Einblatt! August 2005
Calendar

* Sat, Sept 3, 2PM. Minn-StF Meeting. Dreampark, Sharon Kahn & Richard
Tatge's, 4002 Pillsbury Ave S, Mpls. No smoking. FFI: 612-827-3228

* Tues, Sept 6, 7PM. North Country Gaylaxians book discussion - Mind
and Body, ed. Cecelia Tan. Betsy's Back Porch, 5447 Nicollet Ave S,
Mpls. FFI: Andrew Bertke, 612-387-8265, dre...@drewan.net

* Thurs, Sept 8, 7:00PM. Robin Hobb reads & signs. Dreamhaven Books,
912 W Lake St, Mpls. FFI: dr...@dreamhavenbooks.com, 612-823-6161

* Fri, Sept 9, 6:30PM. Adam Stemple reads & signs. Dreamhaven Books,
912 W Lake St, Mpls. FFI: 612-823-6161, dr...@dreamhavenbooks.com

* Sun, Sept 11, 2-5PM. Ladies Sewing Circle. Irene Raun's, 3928 11th
Ave S, Mpls. Dogs, smoking outside. FFI:
realityc...@fireopal.org, 612-822-0451

* Sat, Sept 17. Laurel Krahn and Kevin Austin get married.

* Sat, Sept 17, 3PM. Minn-StF Pool Party. Sheraton Bloomington. Please
bring a beverage. Carol Kennedy is coordinating, contact her to
volunteer. FFI: 612-823-2784, adamsk...@visi.com

* Thurs, Sept 22, 11:59PM. Einblatt! Deadline!

* Tues, Sept 27, 6:30-8:00PM. Speculations Reading Series: Catherine
Lundoff. Dreamhaven Books, 912 W Lake St, Mpls. FFI: Eric Heideman,
612-721-5959, ehei...@qwest.net

Advance Warning

Minn-StF meetings, October 1 (Irene & Scott Raun's) & 15

Birthdays:

3: Craig Jewell; 4: Michael Schneider, Kevin Austin; 5: Susan Champeny,
Sharon Kahn, Dan Kolby; 6: Greg Foss; 7: Michael A. Zalar; 8: Louie
Spooner Bucklin; 11: Ed McGlaughlin; 12: Jean Mornard; 16: Jane
Hausfeld, Kris Jensen; 17: Barbara Geraud, Kathy Routliffe; 19: Laramie
Sasseville; 20: David Schroth; 21: David Dyer-Bennet; 22: Dave Wixon;
23: Matthew B. Tepper; 26: Michael Flowers, Lon Levy, Denny Lien, Mark
Richards; 27: Jeanne Mealy; 29: Eileen Lufkin, Anne Miller, Kurt
Griesemer; 30: Jon Singer

Publishing News

John M. Ford's Heat Of Fusion and Other Stories is a World Fantasy
Award nominee for Best Collection

Past Rhysling Award-winning poems, including those by Ruth Berman, John
M. Ford, Terry Garey, Rebecca Marjesdatter, John Calvin Rezmerski, and
Laurel Winter (two), have been collected and reprinted in The Alchemy
Of Stars (ed. Dutcher and Allen), a 2005 tp from SFPA/Prime Books

Honorable Mentions list in the Year's Best Fantasy And Horror: 18th
Annual (ed Datlow, Link, and Grant) include Neil Gaiman's "Forbidden
Brides..." and Kij Johnson's "The Empress Jingu Fishes." Also listed,
from Tales Of The Unanticipated #25, are one poem ("Flounder" by
Christine Butterworth) and four stories ("Father Muerte and the Theft"
by Lee Battersby; "The Correct Response" by Manfred Gabriel; "Dark
Drug" by S.c. Lofton; and "The Job" by Whitt Pond); and from Rabid
Transit: Petting Zoo (published by Velocity Press of St. Paul) the
stories "How to Write an Epic Fantasy Novel" by David Lomax; "Five
Irrational Histories" by David Moles; "Art is Not a Violent Subject" by
M. Rickert; and "Storyville" by Amber van Dyk. (There are also two
pieces listed from Minnesota Review, but in spite of the title, that's
no longer edited or published in Minnesota....)

Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman et al is a nominee for the Quills Award in
the Graphic Novel category

Giovanni Fregni has an article, "Sacred Travel & Far Out Vacations," in
the first issue (Summer 2005) of Center Circle (published by Magus
Books)

Ruth Berman's story, "The Buried Sword," is listed among the Honorable
Mentions in Gardner Dozois' 2005 Best SF of the Year.

pb=mass market paperback. hc=hardcover. tp=trade paperback
nf=nonfiction. coll=collection. anth=anthology. r=reissue

Conventions

Oct. 7-9, Arcana 35. Holiday Inn Express, Bandana Square, St. Paul, MN,
GoH: Stephen Jones. $25 through Labor Day, $35 ATD. Eric-612-721-5959,
http://pages.prodigy.net/rekal <http://pages.prodigy.net/rekal> ,
ehei...@dhzone.com

Oct. 14-16, Consume/Relaxacon 2005. Holiday Inn Select, Airport-Mall of
America, Bloomington, MN. PGoHs: Frank Kelly Freas & Andre Norton. $35
till Oct. 7th, $45 ATD, Teens (11-16) $15. http://relaxacon.tripod.com
<http://relaxacon.tripod.com> , con...@visi.com, Rick-651-483-6290

Nov. 11-13, Windycon 32. GoH's include Nate & Louie Bucklin.
http://www.windycon.org/ <http://www.windycon.org/>

Apr 14-16, 2006, Minicon 41, Mpls, MN. GoH: Harlan Ellison.
http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/ <http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/>

Ongoing Information

Board of Directors: Kevin Austin Lisa Freitag, Dean Gahlon, Carol
Kennedy, and Scott Raun. Email bo...@mnstf.org. Mn-STF meetings are
held the 1st and 3rd Saturday every month, Board meetings are typically
the 1st Thursday of the month.

Minn-STF web site at: www.mnstf.org/ <www.mnstf.org/> . Minicon web
site at: www.mnstf.org/minicon/ <www.mnstf.org/minicon/> .

Gamesday Players: Board & card gaming almost every Friday evening. FFI:
Richard Tatge at 612-827-3228.

Filk Circle: open to all who like to participate in music with f/sf
lyrics. 4th Saturday at 5pm: 3236 Cedar Ave South; FFI: 612-721-6076.
Cats.

Artists and Writers: Get your art and thoughts in print in Stipple-Apa,
small-and-cozy general-interest publication. FFI: Jeanne Mealy
651-771-7226

Einblatt is posted on Usenet groups rec.arts.sf.fandom,
rec.arts.sf.announce and mn.sf // Einblatt from July 95 to date is on
the web at www.mnstf.org/einblatt/ <www.mnstf.org/einblatt/> . Einblatt
is distributed via e-mailing-list - send e-mail to
einblatt-li...@mnstf.org.

This Einblatt was edited by Scott Raun with the assistance of Denny
Lien (publishing news) and Mike Pins (conventions).

Einblatt is a monthly publication of the Minnesota Science Fiction
Society, devoted to news of the local SF community. E-mail same to
einb...@mnstf.org, or send to Scott Raun, 3928 11th Ave. S.,
Minneapolis, MN 55407; or call him at 612-822-0451. Email submissions
most preferred, no phone calls after 10pm. // Next Einblatt! Deadline:
11:59PM September 22nd, 2005 sharp!

-- Scott Raun sr...@fireopal.org

Cally Soukup

Sep 10, 2005, 7:15:24 PM9/10/05
Dan Goodman <dsg...@iphouse.com> wrote in article <4323613c$0$63624$8046...@newsreader.iphouse.net>:
> Einblatt! August 2005
> Calendar

> * Sat, Sept 17. Laurel Krahn and Kevin Austin get married.

Please pass along my congratulations.

--
"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death
your right to say it." -- Beatrice Hall

Cally Soukup sou...@two14.net

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 11, 2005, 2:57:20 AM9/11/05
Cally Soukup <sou...@pobox.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:dfvpec$4is$1...@wheel2.two14.net:

> Dan Goodman <dsg...@iphouse.com> wrote in article
> <4323613c$0$63624$8046...@newsreader.iphouse.net>:
>> Einblatt! August 2005
>> Calendar
>
>> * Sat, Sept 17. Laurel Krahn and Kevin Austin get married.
>
> Please pass along my congratulations.

And nothing for me?

> 23: Matthew B. Tepper;

Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!

Michael J. Lowrey

Sep 11, 2005, 12:30:44 PM9/11/05
Cally Soukup <sou...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > Einblatt! August 2005

> > * Sat, Sept 17. Laurel Krahn and Kevin Austin get married.
>

> Please pass along my congratulations.

And mine!

--
Michael J. "Orange Mike" Lowrey

Joel Rosenberg

Sep 11, 2005, 12:35:00 PM9/11/05
Michael J. Lowrey wrote:
> Cally Soukup <sou...@pobox.com> wrote:
>

>>>Einblatt! August 2005
>>>* Sat, Sept 17. Laurel Krahn and Kevin Austin get married.
>>

>>Please pass along my congratulations.
>

> And mine!

I'd say, "me, too," but I'm expecting to be doing that in person. (For
those who don't know either of them, they are two terrific, smart, nice
people, will give every indication of being a terrific match for each
other.)

Cally Soukup

Sep 11, 2005, 12:23:19 PM9/11/05
Matthew B. Tepper <oy?@earthlink.net> wrote in article <Xns96CDF3AF572...@207.217.125.201>:

> Cally Soukup <sou...@pobox.com> appears to have caused the following
> letters to be typed in news:dfvpec$4is$1...@wheel2.two14.net:

> > Dan Goodman <dsg...@iphouse.com> wrote in article
> > <4323613c$0$63624$8046...@newsreader.iphouse.net>:
> >> Einblatt! August 2005
> >> Calendar
> >
> >> * Sat, Sept 17. Laurel Krahn and Kevin Austin get married.
> >
> > Please pass along my congratulations.

> And nothing for me?

> > 23: Matthew B. Tepper;

I hardly ever read that part. Happy birthday in a week or so!

Dan Goodman

Sep 11, 2005, 1:29:36 PM9/11/05
Cally Soukup wrote:

> Dan Goodman <dsg...@iphouse.com> wrote in article
> <4323613c$0$63624$8046...@newsreader.iphouse.net>:
> > Einblatt! August 2005
> > Calendar
>

> > * Sat, Sept 17. Laurel Krahn and Kevin Austin get married.
>

> Please pass along my congratulations.

Done.

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/

Dan Goodman

Sep 11, 2005, 1:29:49 PM9/11/05
Michael J. Lowrey wrote:

> Cally Soukup <sou...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > > Einblatt! August 2005
> > > * Sat, Sept 17. Laurel Krahn and Kevin Austin get married.
> >

> > Please pass along my congratulations.
>
> And mine!

Done.

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 11, 2005, 1:53:58 PM9/11/05
Cally Soukup <sou...@pobox.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:dg1lln$ckg$1...@wheel2.two14.net:

> Matthew B. Tepper <oy?@earthlink.net> wrote in article
> <Xns96CDF3AF572...@207.217.125.201>:
>> Cally Soukup <sou...@pobox.com> appears to have caused the following
>> letters to be typed in news:dfvpec$4is$1...@wheel2.two14.net:
>
>> > Dan Goodman <dsg...@iphouse.com> wrote in article

>> > Please pass along my congratulations.
>
>> And nothing for me?
>
>> > 23: Matthew B. Tepper;
>
> I hardly ever read that part. Happy birthday in a week or so!

Possibly because one might not expect me to be listed in a calendar of
Minneapolis-based events, but I did live there, decades ago. Thanks!

David Dyer-Bennet

Sep 11, 2005, 7:37:12 PM9/11/05
"Michael J. Lowrey" <ora...@execpc.com> writes:

> Cally Soukup <sou...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > > Einblatt! August 2005
> > > * Sat, Sept 17. Laurel Krahn and Kevin Austin get married.
> >

> > Please pass along my congratulations.
>
> And mine!

Hey, you're both within driving distince, and Minn-StF is having a
pool party in the Sheraton (old Radisson) that day which just happens
to be on the other floor from where Laurel and Kevin are having their
party.

But if I don't see either of you, I'll try to remember to pass on your
congratulations.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd...@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Michael J. Lowrey

Sep 12, 2005, 9:28:50 AM9/12/05
David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net> wrote:

> "Michael J. Lowrey" <ora...@execpc.com> writes:
> > And mine!
>
> Hey, you're both within driving distince, and Minn-StF is having a
> pool party in the Sheraton (old Radisson) that day which just happens
> to be on the other floor from where Laurel and Kevin are having their
> party.

Good thinking! But, alas, I'm working (for sufficiently low-wage
values of "working").