Return of the Killer Toast

David Langford

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

John D. Berry is visiting the Langford household just now. As we made toast
this morning he chuckled heartily at the tale of Gary Farber's encounter
with Toast in that same kitchen. Such problems would not arise in John's
case, he conveyed over his shoulder as he groped speculatively in the
Pickles & Preserves cupboard.

Crash, splat.

Tableau of well-known fan and typographer standing barefoot in the Langford
kitchen, surrounded by home-made pear chutney and sharp glass shards....

The Toast Is Not Mocked. Who will be next to defy the curse?

Dave
--
David Langford
ans...@cix.co.uk | http://www.ansible.demon.co.uk/

Janice Gelb

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

In article 2133...@news.demon.co.uk, ans...@cix.co.uk (David Langford) writes:

>John D. Berry is visiting the Langford household just now. As we made toast
>this morning he chuckled heartily at the tale of Gary Farber's encounter
>with Toast in that same kitchen. Such problems would not arise in John's
>case, he conveyed over his shoulder as he groped speculatively in the
>Pickles & Preserves cupboard.
>
>Crash, splat.
>
>Tableau of well-known fan and typographer standing barefoot in the Langford
>kitchen, surrounded by home-made pear chutney and sharp glass shards....
>
>The Toast Is Not Mocked. Who will be next to defy the curse?

This sounds like a great idea for a new fan fund...

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janic...@eng.sun.com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"The Web is the world's greatest library with all the books on the floor"
-- Patrick Casey, AP (Oklahoma)

Gary Farber

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

In <5vbq88$r...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM> Janice Gelb
<jan...@eng.sun.com.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS> wrote:
: In article 2133...@news.demon.co.uk, ans...@cix.co.uk
: (David Langford) writes:
: >
: >John D. Berry is visiting the Langford household just now. As we made toast
: >this morning he chuckled heartily at the tale of Gary Farber's encounter
: >with Toast in that same kitchen. Such problems would not arise in John's
: >case, he conveyed over his shoulder as he groped speculatively in the
: >Pickles & Preserves cupboard.
: >
: >Crash, splat.
: >
: >Tableau of well-known fan and typographer standing barefoot in the Langford
: >kitchen, surrounded by home-made pear chutney and sharp glass shards....
: >
: >The Toast Is Not Mocked. Who will be next to defy the curse?

: This sounds like a great idea for a new fan fund...

We send toast back and forth across the Atlantic?
Copyright 1997 by Gary Farber; Experienced Web Researcher; Nonfiction
Writer, Fiction and Nonfiction Editor; gfa...@panix.com; B'klyn, NYC

Jim Trash

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

>: This sounds like a great idea for a new fan fund...
>
>We send toast back and forth across the Atlantic?

No, we send all our old unwanted toast to Dave Langford and he builds a
tower to the moon. He then carves a trip report into the carbon on a
particularly burnt piece of toast and drops it back down the gravity
well.

Or something like that ...

http://www.scream.demon.co.uk Jim Trash

Ray Radlein

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Gary Farber wrote:

> Janice Gelb <jan...@eng.sun.com.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS> wrote:

> : ans...@cix.co.uk (David Langford) writes:
> : >
> : >John D. Berry is visiting the Langford household just now. As we
> : >made toast this morning he chuckled heartily at the tale of Gary
> : >Farber's encounter with Toast in that same kitchen. Such problems
> : >would not arise in John's case, he conveyed over his shoulder as
> : >he groped speculatively in the Pickles & Preserves cupboard.
> : >
> : >Crash, splat.
> : >
> : >Tableau of well-known fan and typographer standing barefoot in
> : >the Langford kitchen, surrounded by home-made pear chutney and
> : >sharp glass shards....
> : >
> : >The Toast Is Not Mocked. Who will be next to defy the curse?
>
> : This sounds like a great idea for a new fan fund...
>
> We send toast back and forth across the Atlantic?

How will it stay lit?

- Ray R.

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to RULE THE SEVAGRAM!"

Ray Radlein - r...@learnlink.emory.edu
homepage coming soon! wooo, wooo.

Pam Wells

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

In article <341B86...@toad-hall.com>
g...@toad-hall.com "Geri Sullivan" writes:

> Geri [wondering how to enjoy toast without the use of knives
> or butter, just in case]

I enjoyed some incident-free toast (with the use of knives and butter,
and indeed some very nice quince jam) chez Langford on Sunday morning.
I speculated whether the Curse of the Toast only applied to men, or
possibly even only to American men. But apparently keeping well away
from the business end of the kitchen is the best way of avoiding the
Toast Curse....

--
Pam Wells Vacuou...@bitch.demon.co.uk http://www.bitch.demon.co.uk

Geri Sullivan

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Janice Gelb wrote:

> In article 2133...@news.demon.co.uk, ans...@cix.co.uk (David Langford) writes:
> >
> >John D. Berry is visiting the Langford household just now. As we made toast
> >this morning he chuckled heartily at the tale of Gary Farber's encounter
> >with Toast in that same kitchen. Such problems would not arise in John's
> >case, he conveyed over his shoulder as he groped speculatively in the
> >Pickles & Preserves cupboard.
> >
> >Crash, splat.
> >
> >Tableau of well-known fan and typographer standing barefoot in the Langford
> >kitchen, surrounded by home-made pear chutney and sharp glass shards....
> >
> >The Toast Is Not Mocked. Who will be next to defy the curse?
> >

> This sounds like a great idea for a new fan fund...

That may be, but I'm getting worried. You see, I'm due to
visit next March.....

Hmmm. Farber in November, the Seattle Berry in September...

Hey, maybe I'm safe. Maybe the curse only rears its charred
toast against Americans every 10 months. If so, I'll be safe
so as long as I leave before July. (And I will, Dave & Hazel
-- promise! Heck, there's this little thing called Minicon
in early April. I can hardly send FanGoH Langford over to it
whilst Hazel and I laze about over the breakfast table in
Reading.)

Geri [wondering how to enjoy toast without the use of knives
or butter, just in case]

--
Geri Sullivan g...@toad-hall.com
===================================

Merlin Haas

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

writes:

>John D. Berry is visiting the Langford household just now. As we made toast
>this morning he chuckled heartily at the tale of Gary Farber's encounter
>with Toast in that same kitchen. Such problems would not arise in John's
>case, he conveyed over his shoulder as he groped speculatively in the
>Pickles & Preserves cupboard.
>
>Crash, splat.
>
>Tableau of well-known fan and typographer standing barefoot in the Langford
>kitchen, surrounded by home-made pear chutney and sharp glass shards....
>
>The Toast Is Not Mocked. Who will be next to defy the curse?

If this keeps up, "Langford's Toast" will be more famous than
"Courtney's Boat"....

best -- Merlin Haas

Dr Gafia

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <5vdgqh$7...@panix2.panix.com>, gfa...@panix.com
(Gary Farber) writes:

>In <5vbq88$r...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM> Janice Gelb
><jan...@eng.sun.com.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS> wrote:

>: In article 2133...@news.demon.co.uk, ans...@cix.co.uk
>: (David Langford) writes:

>>[big snip]<<

>: >The Toast Is Not Mocked. Who will be next to defy the
>: >curse?
>

>: This sounds like a great idea for a new fan fund...
>
>We send toast back and forth across the Atlantic?

No. We would _try_ to send toast back and forth across the
Atlantic. The toast, however, being incapable of any voluntary
movement in the sense of "voluntary movement" as it is applied
to human beings, would go nowhere. The cost to the fund would
be nothing. The money in the fund would continue to grow as
subsequent races were held. It would take a while, even when
it reached the point where the funds had to be invested in a
variety of instruments, to grow from $10,000 to $50,000, but
it wouldn't take quite as long to go from $50,000 to $500,000.

By which time, I'm sure, a great deal of debate over What To Do
About Getting That Money Back Into Fandom will have taken
place, without any one notion predominating. I will then step
forward and explain why it should all be given to me, and me
alone. The money would be turned over to me because my
reasoning would be unassailable -- absolutely _no one_ could
dispute the truth of it. Anyone who had ever put a penny into
the Fund would certainly realize and be forced to acknowledge
that the Fund had been set up to send, from one side of the
Atlantic to the other, something which was rightfully _and_
ideally _intended to be_ rich brown. There being no question
about that, I would invest the funds and live off the proceeds
until I could start living off the royalties of my book, _How
To Be An SF Fan For Fun And Profit_.

--rich brown

Dr Gafia

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <341A56...@learnlink.emory.edu>, Ray Radlein
<r...@learnlink.emory.edu> writes:

>> : >The Toast Is Not Mocked. Who will be next to defy the curse?
>>
>> : This sounds like a great idea for a new fan fund...
>>
>> We send toast back and forth across the Atlantic?
>

>How will it stay lit?

The same way fans do -- by drinking and smoking at a steady pace.

--rich brown

Al von Ruff

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Ray Radlein (r...@learnlink.emory.edu) wrote:

: Gary Farber wrote:
: >
: > Janice Gelb <jan...@eng.sun.com.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS> wrote:
: > : ans...@cix.co.uk (David Langford) writes:
: > : >
[...]

:
: How will it stay lit?

Think: Olympic Torch.

Al von Ruff avon...@prairienet.org
Internet Speculative Fiction Database: http://cu-online.com/~avonruff

Kate Schaefer

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In a previous article, g...@toad-hall.com (Geri Sullivan) says:
[referring to the proliferation of dangerous breakfast incidents in the
Langford household]

>That may be, but I'm getting worried. You see, I'm due to
>visit next March.....
>
>Hmmm. Farber in November, the Seattle Berry in September...
>
>Hey, maybe I'm safe. Maybe the curse only rears its charred
>toast against Americans every 10 months. If so, I'll be safe
>so as long as I leave before July. (And I will, Dave & Hazel
>-- promise! Heck, there's this little thing called Minicon
>in early April. I can hardly send FanGoH Langford over to it
>whilst Hazel and I laze about over the breakfast table in
>Reading.)
>
>Geri [wondering how to enjoy toast without the use of knives
>or butter, just in case]

Dave and Hazel are simply fostering the idea that it's dangerous for
Americans to be in their kitchen, so that when great armies of us (okay,
a good twenty or forty, but that's a fair army for a kitchen) come over
for Corflu, we won't all want to have breakfast chez Langford.

Works for me.

--
Kate Schaefer
ka...@scn.org

Charlie Stross

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Jim Trash<j...@scream.demon.co.uk> wrote
(in article <02ZgdHAF...@scream.demon.co.uk>):

>No, we send all our old unwanted toast to Dave Langford and he builds a
>tower to the moon. He then carves a trip report into the carbon on a
>particularly burnt piece of toast and drops it back down the gravity
>well.

NoNoNo. The Toast is sold to NASA's shuttle operations contractors as
a new, improved, cheap heat-resistant tile.

-- Charlie

"Many computer scientists have fallen into the trap of trying to define
languages like George Orwell's Newspeak, in which it is impossible to
think bad thoughts. What they end up doing is killing the creativity
of programming." -- Larry Wall

>> To reply: remove NOSPAM and anagrams, or see http://www.antipope.org/ <<

Barnaby

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Gary Farber wrote in article <5vdgqh$7...@panix2.panix.com>...

>In <5vbq88$r...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM> Janice Gelb
><jan...@eng.sun.com.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS> wrote:

>: In article 2133...@news.demon.co.uk, ans...@cix.co.uk

>: (David Langford) writes:
>: >
>: >John D. Berry is visiting the Langford household just now. As we made
toast
>: >this morning he chuckled heartily at the tale of Gary Farber's
encounter
>: >with Toast in that same kitchen. Such problems would not arise in
John's
>: >case, he conveyed over his shoulder as he groped speculatively in the
>: >Pickles & Preserves cupboard.
>: >
>: >Crash, splat.
>: >
>: >Tableau of well-known fan and typographer standing barefoot in the
Langford
>: >kitchen, surrounded by home-made pear chutney and sharp glass
shards....
>: >
>: >The Toast Is Not Mocked. Who will be next to defy the curse?
>
>: This sounds like a great idea for a new fan fund...
>
>We send toast back and forth across the Atlantic?

It'll be the toast of fandom.

Barnaby Rapoport

Ulrika

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

In article <slrn61t3nf.2ic.charlie@SPAMBLOCKED>,
cha...@nospam.antipope.mapson.org (Charlie Stross) writes:

>NoNoNo. The Toast is sold to NASA's shuttle operations
>contractors as a new, improved, cheap heat-resistant tile.

Thus creating the world's most useless wormhole: shuttles
will be found to transit spontaneously from space out the
Langford kitchen window whenever the tiles start smoking
on atmosphere re-entry.

Ulrika O'Brien, Philosopher Without Portfolio

***ulr...@aol.com***

Vicki Rosenzweig

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

The next TAFF delegate should bring suitable local breads
with her/him. If I win, I'll bring bagels or bialys--any
preference? Ulrika, I think some sourdough would be in
order if you win. I'm not sure what would be appropriate
for either Victor or Tom.
--
Vicki Rosenzweig
v...@interport.net | http://www.users.interport.net/~vr/

Janice Gelb

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

In article 54...@interport.net, Vicki Rosenzweig <v...@interport.net> writes:

>The next TAFF delegate should bring suitable local breads
>with her/him. If I win, I'll bring bagels or bialys--any
>preference? Ulrika, I think some sourdough would be in
>order if you win. I'm not sure what would be appropriate
>for either Victor or Tom.

Ulrika is in southern California; sourdough would only be appropriate
if she were from northern California. She could, however, bring a local
variant of your offering - I think you can only get jalapeno bagels
(*ptui ptui*) in LA (at least, I hope so).

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this

jan...@marvin.eng.sun.com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"These are my opinions. If they were the Biblical truth, your bushes
would be burning"
-- Randy Lander

Marilee J. Layman

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

In <5vri6g$q...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM>,
jan...@eng.sun.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS.com (Janice Gelb) wrote:

>I think you can only get jalapeno bagels
>(*ptui ptui*) in LA (at least, I hope so).

Nope, they're big sellers here in the Metro DC area, along with Banana
Nut.

--
Marilee J. Layman Co-Leader, The Other*Worlds*Cafe
RELM Mu...@aol.com A Science Fiction Discussion Group

Emshandar

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

From: mjla...@erols.com (Marilee J. Layman)

>In <5vri6g$q...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM>,
>jan...@eng.sun.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS.com (Janice Gelb) wrote:
>
>>I think you can only get jalapeno bagels
>>(*ptui ptui*) in LA (at least, I hope so).
>
>Nope, they're big sellers here in the Metro DC area, along with Banana
>Nut.

Encore (*PTUI PTUI*)

Morgan Gallagher

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

In article <874125...@bitch.demon.co.uk>, Pam Wells <Vacuous_Tart@bit
ch.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <341B86...@toad-hall.com>
> g...@toad-hall.com "Geri Sullivan" writes:
>
>> Geri [wondering how to enjoy toast without the use of knives
>> or butter, just in case]
>
>I enjoyed some incident-free toast (with the use of knives and butter,
>and indeed some very nice quince jam) chez Langford on Sunday morning.
>I speculated whether the Curse of the Toast only applied to men, or
>possibly even only to American men. But apparently keeping well away
>from the business end of the kitchen is the best way of avoiding the
>Toast Curse....

And you dind't tell me you were in town!

Sulk.

--
Morgan

"Nunc demum intellego," dixit Winnie ille Pu. "Stultus et
delusus fui," dixit "et ursus sine ullo cerebro sum."

Allen J. Baum

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

In article <5vri6g$q...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM>,
jan...@eng.sun.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS.com wrote:

> In article 54...@interport.net, Vicki Rosenzweig <v...@interport.net> writes:
> >
> >The next TAFF delegate should bring suitable local breads

> >with her/him.....

> Ulrika is in southern California; sourdough would only be appropriate

>...- I think you can only get jalapeno bagels in LA (at least, I hope so).

nah, I can get them here - probably even in Noahs.
What I miss is the pesto bagels I've only seen in Seattle...

* Allen J. Baum *
* Digital Semiconductor *
* 181 Lytton Ave. *
* Palo Alto, CA 94306 *

Janice Gelb

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

In article 22099713...@terrapin.pa.dec.com, ab...@pa.dec.com (Allen J. Baum) writes:
>In article <5vri6g$q...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM>,
>jan...@eng.sun.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS.com wrote:
>
>> In article 54...@interport.net, Vicki Rosenzweig <v...@interport.net> writes:
>> >
>> >The next TAFF delegate should bring suitable local breads
>> >with her/him.....
>>
>> Ulrika is in southern California; sourdough would only be appropriate
>>...- I think you can only get jalapeno bagels in LA (at least, I hope so).
>
>nah, I can get them here - probably even in Noahs.
>What I miss is the pesto bagels I've only seen in Seattle...

EEEWWWWW!!!!

Canonical bagel flavors are plain, egg, salt, garlic, onion, sesame,
and poppy. Anything else is an Abomination.

[note my .sig]

-- Janice

P Nielsen Hayden

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

In article <608ub8$m...@news1.panix.com>, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:

>whether or not someone considers it legitamately a "bagel."

Does anyone else find that their own spelling has gone down the tubes since
the great orthography discussion begin? "Legitimately," of course.

-----
Patrick Nielsen Hayden : p...@panix.com : http://www.panix.com/~pnh

P Nielsen Hayden

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

>>What I miss is the pesto bagels I've only seen in Seattle...
>
>EEEWWWWW!!!!
>
>Canonical bagel flavors are plain, egg, salt, garlic, onion, sesame,
>and poppy. Anything else is an Abomination.

Yeah, yeah. I'm pretty purist about bagels, too, but I had a "pesto bagel" in
North Carolina that was a darned good food object, whether or not someone

considers it legitamately a "bagel."

Inedible food is an abomination. Everything else is mere taxonomical
disputes.

Loren MacGregor

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

In rec.arts.sf.fandom on 22 Sep 1997 22:12:04 GMT,
jan...@eng.sun.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS.com (Janice Gelb) said:

>In article 22099713...@terrapin.pa.dec.com, ab...@pa.dec.com (Allen J. Baum) writes:

>>In article <5vri6g$q...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM>,

>>jan...@eng.sun.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS.com wrote:

>>> Ulrika is in southern California; sourdough would only be appropriate
>>>...- I think you can only get jalapeno bagels in LA (at least, I hope so).
>>
>>nah, I can get them here - probably even in Noahs.

>>What I miss is the pesto bagels I've only seen in Seattle...
>>

>EEEWWWWW!!!!
>
>Canonical bagel flavors are plain, egg, salt, garlic, onion, sesame,
>and poppy. Anything else is an Abomination.

I suppose this means that you don't want the pumpernickel bagels, also
available (so far as I know) only in Seattle?

*sigh* I want a crumpet from the Victorian Crumpet Bakery. Right
*now*.

-- LJM

Loren MacGregor
lmac...@efn.org

P Nielsen Hayden

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

>I suppose this means that you don't want the pumpernickel bagels, also
>available (so far as I know) only in Seattle?

I've seen pumpernickel bagels in the South, in Minneapolis, in Arizona, and,
yes, in New York.

Morris M. Keesan

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

(Janice Gelb) wrote:
>Canonical bagel flavors are plain, egg, salt, garlic, onion, sesame,
>and poppy. Anything else is an Abomination.
What? Even marble?
--
Morris M. Keesan -- kee...@world.std.com

Kevin J. Maroney

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:

>I've seen pumpernickel bagels in the South, in Minneapolis, in Arizona, and,
>yes, in New York.

If it's not available in New York, can it legitimately be called a
bagel? Isn't that a trademark violation?

--
Kevin J. Maroney | Crossover Technologies | kmar...@crossover.com
Games are my entire waking life.

Brenda Daverin

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

In article <60a0is$a...@news1.panix.com>, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:

> In article <34287a35...@news.efn.org>, lmac...@efn.org wrote:
>
> >I suppose this means that you don't want the pumpernickel bagels, also
> >available (so far as I know) only in Seattle?
>

> I've seen pumpernickel bagels in the South, in Minneapolis, in Arizona, and,
> yes, in New York.

You can add the San Francisco Bay area to the habitat range of the
pumpernickel bagel.

BTW, what's pumpernickel supposed to taste like? It's one of those foods
I've been aware of for years but haven't gotten the courage up to try.

-Brenda

--
I don't speak for Apple Computer, Inc.
The preceding message is a test of my spam filtering system. If this had been a real Usenet post, it would have been filled with senseless trivia and excess flamage. This is a recording.

Loren MacGregor

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

In article <60c46n$13o...@mrw.panix.com>, awnb...@panix.com says...

>In article <60bgni$p...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM>,
> jan...@eng.sun.com wrote:
>>
>>Oh, oops! Pumpernickel bagels are definitely in the canon.

Or, given another thread, "In the cannon."

> Yes, yes, but now the important question: Is "pumpernickel"
>*really* German for "devil's fart"?

Shall we revisit the thread about German words for fart, then?

-- LJM

Emshandar

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

From: kee...@world.std.com (Morris M. Keesan)

>On 22 Sep 1997 22:12:04 GMT, jan...@eng.sun.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS.com
>(Janice Gelb) wrote:
>>Canonical bagel flavors are plain, egg, salt, garlic, onion, sesame,
>>and poppy. Anything else is an Abomination.
>What? Even marble?

And what about raisin?

--

mike weber <emsh...@aol.com>

Lydia Nickerson

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) writes:

>>I suppose this means that you don't want the pumpernickel bagels, also
>>available (so far as I know) only in Seattle?

>I've seen pumpernickel bagels in the South, in Minneapolis, in Arizona, and,
>yes, in New York.

And in Pittsburgh in the late '70's, from Bagel Land. (In Squirrel
Hill?) No idea if they
are still in business. They also did a marble bagel, with white and
pumpernickel dough swirled together.

Loren MacGregor

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

In article <daverin-2409...@davebr.apple.com>, dav...@apple.com
says...

>BTW, what's pumpernickel supposed to taste like? It's one of those foods
>I've been aware of for years but haven't gotten the courage up to try.

Rye on steroids.

-- LJM

Vicki Rosenzweig

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

Brenda Daverin wrote:

> In article <60a0is$a...@news1.panix.com>, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:
>
> > In article <34287a35...@news.efn.org>, lmac...@efn.org wrote:
> >
> > >I suppose this means that you don't want the pumpernickel bagels, also
> > >available (so far as I know) only in Seattle?
> >
> > I've seen pumpernickel bagels in the South, in Minneapolis, in Arizona, and,
> > yes, in New York.
>
> You can add the San Francisco Bay area to the habitat range of the
> pumpernickel bagel.
>
> BTW, what's pumpernickel supposed to taste like? It's one of those foods
> I've been aware of for years but haven't gotten the courage up to try.
>
> -Brenda

Pumpernickel bagels are indeed readily available in
New York City, and are one of the things that make life
worth living. (I really don't know how people can bear
to live in places where there's no good bread. Do they
all bake their own?) As for what it tastes like, the
closest I can come (we don't really have a good vocabulary
for this sort of thing) is that it's a strong whole-grain
flavor, the sort that is sometimes called "nutty" even
though I've never had nuts that taste like this. (I think
pumpernickel is made, at least in part,
from whole-grain rye, but that's a hunch, not a fact; can
anyone confirm or refute this?) There are people who
dislike pumpernickel, but I don't think there's anyone who
finds it repulsive. If it were me, I'd spend the 50 or 75
cents and buy one: if you like it, great. If not, well,
spit out that bite, throw it away, and eat something else.
Or go with a friend who likes pumpernickel, and if you
decide you don't like it, give it to your friend."Everybody's got a right to be happy" --Stephen Sondheim

Emshandar

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

From: kmar...@crossover.com (Kevin J. Maroney)

>If it's not available in New York, can it legitimately be called a
>bagel? Isn't that a trademark violation?

I dunno -- i used to see ads for Carvel Ice Cream on WOR that said
"Available in all five boroughs and Miami"...

Also, i seem to recall that Janice refers (or used to at least) to Miami
as "the Sixth Borough of New York"...

--

mike weber <emsh...@aol.com>

Janice Gelb

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

In article 2477...@news.efn.org, lmac...@efn.org (Loren MacGregor) writes:
>In rec.arts.sf.fandom on 22 Sep 1997 22:12:04 GMT,

>jan...@eng.sun.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS.com (Janice Gelb) said:
>

>>Canonical bagel flavors are plain, egg, salt, garlic, onion, sesame,
>>and poppy. Anything else is an Abomination.
>
>I suppose this means that you don't want the pumpernickel bagels, also
>available (so far as I know) only in Seattle?

Oh, oops! Pumpernickel bagels are definitely in the canon.

T Nielsen Hayden

Sep 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/25/97

Janice Gelb <jan...@eng.sun.com> wrote:
> In article 2477...@news.efn.org, lmac...@efn.org (Loren MacGregor) writes:
> >In rec.arts.sf.fandom on 22 Sep 1997 22:12:04 GMT,
> >jan...@eng.sun.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS.com (Janice Gelb) said:
> >>
> >>Canonical bagel flavors are plain, egg, salt, garlic, onion, sesame,
> >>and poppy. Anything else is an Abomination.
> >
> >I suppose this means that you don't want the pumpernickel bagels, also
> >available (so far as I know) only in Seattle?

> Oh, oops! Pumpernickel bagels are definitely in the canon.

But not cinnamon-raisin? (I suspect not, since you can't jumble them into a
mixed bagful without they taste funny from the garlic and onion.)

::tnh::fwa

Janice Gelb

Sep 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/25/97

Cinnamon-raisin was the first insidious infiltrator into True
Bagel Flavors, opening the doors to such atrocities as whole wheat,
blueberry, and, the ultimate apostate, chocolate chip.

Allen J. Baum

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

To return this thread to the subject of toast (from Bagels):

I note that there was a high-tech soapbox derby [an oxymoron waiting to
happen] run last weekend on the road that runs by all the venture capital
places in Palo Alto. The winner gets a trophy which is a 2 foot stack of
toast.

Cast in nickel.
Weighing 40 pounds.
Not your typical toast (nearly the density of a bagel, though) :
Harder to catch fire, easy to toss through a (closed) window.

David E Romm

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

In article <60e5hd$5...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM>, jan...@eng.sun.com wrote:

> Cinnamon-raisin was the first insidious infiltrator into True
> Bagel Flavors, opening the doors to such atrocities as whole wheat,
> blueberry, and, the ultimate apostate, chocolate chip.

I like Cinnamon-raisin because it doesn't have little bits of foodstuff
falling off as you eat it. Gotta keep my apt. poppy-free.

The variable one around here (Mpls) is sun-dried tomato. Great in one
place I had it (an off-brand chain in a mall) and not so good at the more
ubiquitous Brueggers. A good idea that doesn't quite work.

I have mixed feelings about a 'bagel canon'. There's only one real test
of a bagel: Does it taste good surrounding lox, cream cheese, onions and
tomato?
--
Shockwave radio: Science Fiction/Science Fact/Weirdness Unbound
http://www.visi.com/~romm

Vicki Rosenzweig

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

Janice Gelb wrote:

> Cinnamon-raisin was the first insidious infiltrator into True
> Bagel Flavors, opening the doors to such atrocities as whole wheat,
> blueberry, and, the ultimate apostate, chocolate chip.

There are worse things. I have seen, with my own eyes,
sun-dried tomato bagels, and I have seen large posters
advertising apple-walnut strudel bagels. (I was too
flabbergasted to even go into the shop--I walked by
quickly, for the sake of my immortal soul.)

Cally Soukup

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

: In article i...@news1.panix.com, T Nielsen Hayden <t...@panix.com> writes:
: >Janice Gelb <jan...@eng.sun.com> wrote:
: >> In article 2477...@news.efn.org, lmac...@efn.org (Loren MacGregor) writes:
: >> >In rec.arts.sf.fandom on 22 Sep 1997 22:12:04 GMT,
: >> >jan...@eng.sun.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS.com (Janice Gelb) said:
: >> >>
: >> >>Canonical bagel flavors are plain, egg, salt, garlic, onion, sesame,
: >> >>and poppy. Anything else is an Abomination.
: >> >
: >> >I suppose this means that you don't want the pumpernickel bagels, also
: >
: >> Oh, oops! Pumpernickel bagels are definitely in the canon.

: >
: >But not cinnamon-raisin? (I suspect not, since you can't jumble them into a

: Cinnamon-raisin was the first insidious infiltrator into True

: Bagel Flavors, opening the doors to such atrocities as whole wheat,
: blueberry, and, the ultimate apostate, chocolate chip.

Oh, surely not. I would think the ultimate apostate would be the
bacon-and-cheese bagel I saw once.

Janice Gelb

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

In article 606...@news.std.com, kee...@world.std.com (Morris M. Keesan) writes:
>On 22 Sep 1997 22:12:04 GMT, jan...@eng.sun.ANTISPAM-REMOVE-THIS.com

>(Janice Gelb) wrote:
>>Canonical bagel flavors are plain, egg, salt, garlic, onion, sesame,
>>and poppy. Anything else is an Abomination.
>What? Even marble?

Marble combines two canonical flavors, egg and pumpernickel
(inadvertently left off the original list but since corrected),
so it's ok.

Alan Winston - SSRL Admin Cmptg Mgr

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

In article <abaum-26099...@terrapin.pa.dec.com>, ab...@pa.dec.com
(Allen J. Baum) writes:

>To return this thread to the subject of toast (from Bagels):
>
>I note that there was a high-tech soapbox derby [an oxymoron waiting to
> happen] run last weekend on the road that runs by all the venture capital
>places in Palo Alto. The winner gets a trophy which is a 2 foot stack of
> toast.
>
>Cast in nickel.
>Weighing 40 pounds.
>Not your typical toast (nearly the density of a bagel, though) :
>Harder to catch fire, easy to toss through a (closed) window.

More relevant to me, the road (Sand Hill) runs directly past my workplace,
the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, which I carefully avoided last
weekend.

However, with gravity in place, Sand Hill Road itself functions as a linear
accelerator (at least on the straight parts).

-- Alan

Alan Winston --- WIN...@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
Disclaimer: I speak only for myself, not SLAC or SSRL Phone: 415/926-3056
Physical mail to: SSRL -- SLAC BIN 69, PO BOX 4349, STANFORD, CA 94309-0210

Emshandar

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

From: ma...@mcs.com (Cally Soukup)

> I would think the ultimate apostate would be the
>bacon-and-cheese bagel I saw once.

Nah. Local sandwich shop -- Janice _may_ recall it; DBKaplan's at Lenox,
sadly gone, used to offer an open-faced bagel sandwich called "The
Chutzpah", which had, on each half of the split bagel: Cream cheese, onion,
lox, tomato.....

And one-and-a-half slices of Canadian bacon.

--

mike weber <emsh...@aol.com>

Sandra Bond

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

In article <19970927034...@ladder01.news.aol.com>
emsh...@aol.com "Emshandar" writes:

There's a 24-hour bageleteria in Hackney (east London) which does bacon and
cream cheese bagels. Very nice they are too, especially when you're starving
at 3a.m. and had long since given up hope of finding anywhere to buy food
to sustain you on a forthcoming 75-mile drive home to Portsmouth.

Sandra
--
# "He never ever learned to read or write so well, but he could #
# play a guitar just like ringing a bell..." -- Chuck Berry #

Barnaby

Sep 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/28/97

Loren MacGregor wrote in article <60c2gp$a...@drn.zippo.com>...

>>BTW, what's pumpernickel supposed to taste like? It's one of those foods
>>I've been aware of for years but haven't gotten the courage up to try.
>

>Rye on steroids.

Right. I tend to think of it as beer/dark beer = rye/pumpernickel

Barnaby Rapoport

Barnaby

Sep 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/28/97

Janice Gelb wrote in article <60e5hd$5...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM>...

writes:

also

>>> Oh, oops! Pumpernickel bagels are definitely in the canon.
>>
>>But not cinnamon-raisin? (I suspect not, since you can't jumble them into

>>mixed bagful without they taste funny from the garlic and onion.)
>>

>Cinnamon-raisin was the first insidious infiltrator into True
>Bagel Flavors, opening the doors to such atrocities as whole wheat,
>blueberry, and, the ultimate apostate, chocolate chip.

I imagine what happened is that the resemblance of bagels to donuts
triggered certain unfortunate associations in the minds of certain bakers.

Barnaby Rapoport

Seth Breidbart

Sep 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/28/97

In article <60bvs1$vs7$1...@gw.ddb.com>, Lydia Nickerson <ly...@gw.ddb.com> wrote:

> They also did a marble bagel, with white and
>pumpernickel dough swirled together.

Those are also available in New York City, as are blueberry bagels
(from H&H no less).

Seth

Janice Gelb

Sep 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/29/97

In article 6...@root.two14.lan, ma...@mcs.com (Cally Soukup) writes:
>Janice Gelb (jan...@eng.sun.com) wrote:
>
>: Cinnamon-raisin was the first insidious infiltrator into True
>: Bagel Flavors, opening the doors to such atrocities as whole wheat,
>: blueberry, and, the ultimate apostate, chocolate chip.
>
>Oh, surely not. I would think the ultimate apostate would be the

>bacon-and-cheese bagel I saw once.

If the bacon-and-cheese were baked in with the bagel, you win. But
you can't blame a poor innocent canonical-flavor bagel for what
heretics put *on* it...

FitchDonS

Sep 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/29/97

Vicki Rosenzweig (<v...@interport.net>), in
<3429AB...@interport.net>
<606qfk$9...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM> <34287a35...@news.efn.org>
<60a0is$a...@news1.panix.com> <daverin-
24099711...@davebr.apple.com>), Posted:

<snip>

>Pumpernickel bagels are indeed readily available in
>New York City, and are one of the things that make life
>worth living. (I really don't know how people can bear
>to live in places where there's no good bread. Do they
>all bake their own?) As for what it tastes like, the
>closest I can come (we don't really have a good vocabulary
>for this sort of thing) is that it's a strong whole-grain
>flavor, the sort that is sometimes called "nutty" even
>though I've never had nuts that taste like this. (I think
>pumpernickel is made, at least in part,
>from whole-grain rye, but that's a hunch, not a fact; can
>anyone confirm or refute this?) There are people who
>dislike pumpernickel, but I don't think there's anyone who
>finds it repulsive. If it were me, I'd spend the 50 or 75
>cents and buy one: if you like it, great. If not, well,
>spit out that bite, throw it away, and eat something else.
>Or go with a friend who likes pumpernickel, and if you
>decide you don't like it, give it to your friend.

Acto my (Swiss-born) baker grandfather, _True_ Pumpernickle is
made with a combination of (mostly) whole and cracked rye, soaked
overnight in water, a little flour, & ground crusts of older
pumpernickle (which makes it darker and stronger-tasting), and is
baked very slowly (overnight, maybe, in a slow oven); it's very
heavy and solid, rather like a meat-loaf made from grain. I
suspect that "pumpernickle bagels" are most often (like the 3 or 4
I've had) just bagels made with a fair percentage of rye flour & a
little carmel coloring. A bit strong-tasting for use with good
lox, to my taste, but excellent with lots of cream cheese (no-
cholesterol cream cheese, even).

--
Don Fitch
<fitc...@aol.com>

Marilee J. Layman

Sep 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/29/97

In <342f0...@news1.ibm.net>, "Barnaby" <hra...@ibm.net> wrote:

> Janice Gelb wrote in article <60e5hd$5...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM>...

>>Cinnamon-raisin was the first insidious infiltrator into True
>>Bagel Flavors, opening the doors to such atrocities as whole wheat,
>>blueberry, and, the ultimate apostate, chocolate chip.
>

>I imagine what happened is that the resemblance of bagels to donuts
>triggered certain unfortunate associations in the minds of certain bakers.

No, I think people just wanted sweeter bagels. In the Chesapeake
Bagel stores here, they make "bagel knots" -- strips of regular bagel
dough knotted, baked, and covered with a cream-cheese icing. I tried
one once, it was pretty weird -- you don't expect a bagel to have
sweet icing.

--
Marilee J. Layman Co-Leader, The Other*Worlds*Cafe
RELM Mu...@aol.com A Science Fiction Discussion Group
**New** Web site: http://home.virtual-pc.com/outland/owc/index.html
AOL keyword: FR > Science Fiction > The Other*Worlds*Cafe (listbox)

aRJay

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

In article <19970929184...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, FitchDonS
<fitc...@aol.com> wrote
I've been reading this thread for a while and I'm puzzled by why people
keep wanting to put liquid oxygen (lox) on their bagels. Do they taste
better when they are 100 or more degrees below zero centigrade, or is it
that its easier to break them when they are that brittle?

--
aRJay

Francis A. Ney, Jr.

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

> There's a 24-hour bageleteria in Hackney (east London) which does bacon and
> cream cheese bagels. Very nice they are too, especially when you're starving
> at 3a.m. and had long since given up hope of finding anywhere to buy food
> to sustain you on a forthcoming 75-mile drive home to Portsmouth.

Geez, you Limeys are a bunch of wimps. B-)=

75 miles is my one-way commute to work!

---
Frank Ney WV/EMT-B VA/EMT-A N4ZHG LPWV NRA(L) GOA CCRKBA JPFO
Sponsor, BATF Abuse page http://www.access.digex.net/~croaker/batfabus.html
West Virginia Coordinator, Libertarian Second Amendment Caucus
NOTICE: Flaming email received will be posted to the appropriate newsgroups
- --
"Whether the authorities be invaders or merely local tyrants, the
effect of such [gun] laws is to place the individual at the mercy of
the state, unable to resist."
- Robert Heinlein, in a 1949 letter concerning _Red Planet_

John Richards

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

Francis A. Ney, Jr. wrote:

> In article <875384...@ho-street.demon.co.uk> San...@ho-street.demon.co.uk writes:
>
> > There's a 24-hour bageleteria in Hackney (east London) which does bacon and
> > cream cheese bagels. Very nice they are too, especially when you're starving
> > at 3a.m. and had long since given up hope of finding anywhere to buy food
> > to sustain you on a forthcoming 75-mile drive home to Portsmouth.
>
> Geez, you Limeys are a bunch of wimps. B-)=
>
> 75 miles is my one-way commute to work!

And I'm not the only one on the commuter train to London each day.

--
JFW Richards South Hants Science Fiction Group
Portsmouth, Hants 2nd and 4th Tuesdays

Morgan Gallagher

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

In article <znr875644810k@Digex>, "Francis A. Ney, Jr."
<cro...@access.digex.net> writes

>In article <875384...@ho-street.demon.co.uk> San...@ho-street.demon.co.uk
>writes:
>
>> There's a 24-hour bageleteria in Hackney (east London) which does bacon and
>> cream cheese bagels. Very nice they are too, especially when you're starving
>> at 3a.m. and had long since given up hope of finding anywhere to buy food
>> to sustain you on a forthcoming 75-mile drive home to Portsmouth.
>
>Geez, you Limeys are a bunch of wimps. B-)=
>
>75 miles is my one-way commute to work!

Up till last summer, my one way was 95. So there! :-P

One thing you have got to understand about British differences, however,
is that distance and time are not the same equation as in most of The
States.

People buy higher priced housing on the basis of 'timed' sales pitches
('26 minutes from Waterloo', '5 mins from M4') the actual distance
isn't part of the equation, for the same distance in this country can
take between four and fives times longer to commutte (by car) in one
area, than another.

The road network in the UK, which grewed like Topsy, does not have long
lines of straight roads to pelt down. And we don't have enuogh of them
- so spending time in traffic going nowhere is pretty standard in the
South. My 90 odd mile commute from Reading to Coventry, was mostly
motorway, which made it viable - under two hours mostdays (long country
stretch to get to motorway spun it out). A 90 mile commute in the
opposite direction, would have take at least two hours more, and make it
out of the question.

People who commute into London, by train and tube, can easily spend two
hours doing a journey that's probably drivable in ten minutes if they
rest of the world wasn't in the way. No different from big USA cities,
no doubt. What's difficult for people from Large Countries (tm) to
appreciate is that driving in this country *per se*, is the same. The
roads just don't go where you want them to! And they hardly ever go in
straight lines. You spend a lot of time *aiming* in the general
direction you want to go in, and dropping down, dropping up,
backtracking and overshooting to actually get there.

--
Morgan

"Nunc demum intellego," dixit Winnie ille Pu. "Stultus et
delusus fui," dixit "et ursus sine ullo cerebro sum."

Barnaby

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

Marilee J. Layman wrote in article <343118d9...@news.erols.com>...

>In <342f0...@news1.ibm.net>, "Barnaby" <hra...@ibm.net> wrote:

>> Janice Gelb wrote in article <60e5hd$5...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM>...
>>>Cinnamon-raisin was the first insidious infiltrator into True
>>>Bagel Flavors, opening the doors to such atrocities as whole wheat,
>>>blueberry, and, the ultimate apostate, chocolate chip.
>>
>>I imagine what happened is that the resemblance of bagels to donuts
>>triggered certain unfortunate associations in the minds of certain
bakers.

>No, I think people just wanted sweeter bagels. In the Chesapeake
>Bagel stores here, they make "bagel knots" -- strips of regular bagel
>dough knotted, baked, and covered with a cream-cheese icing. I tried
>one once, it was pretty weird -- you don't expect a bagel to have
>sweet icing.

Then I guess what happened is that the resemblance of bagels to donuts
triggered certain unfortunate associations in the minds of the public. Or
have I been missing blueberry and cinnamon pizza? (I admit pineapple on
pizza comes close....)

Barnaby Rapoport

Karen E Cooper

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

cro...@access.digex.net (Francis A. Ney, Jr.) writes:

>> There's a 24-hour bageleteria in Hackney (east London) which does bacon and
>> cream cheese bagels. Very nice they are too, especially when you're starving
>> at 3a.m. and had long since given up hope of finding anywhere to buy food
>> to sustain you on a forthcoming 75-mile drive home to Portsmouth.

>Geez, you Limeys are a bunch of wimps. B-)=

>75 miles is my one-way commute to work!

I don't recall who told me, this one of my most favourite jokes:

Q: What's the difference between an American and a European?

Ans: An American thinks 100 years is a long time, and a European thinks
100 miles is a long way.

Karen. [come to think, it must have been in Minneapa. Marty Helgesen,
perhaps?]

David G. Bell

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

In article <XQ6fuGA5...@escore.demon.co.uk>
ro...@escore.demon.co.uk "aRJay" writes:

> I've been reading this thread for a while and I'm puzzled by why people
> keep wanting to put liquid oxygen (lox) on their bagels. Do they taste
> better when they are 100 or more degrees below zero centigrade, or is it
> that its easier to break them when they are that brittle?

It makes it more interesting to toast them over the camp-fire.

--
David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, Furry, and Punslinger..

Sandra Bond

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

In article <znr875644810k@Digex>

cro...@access.digex.net "Francis A. Ney, Jr." writes:

> In article <875384...@ho-street.demon.co.uk> San...@ho-street.demon.co.uk
> writes:
>
> > There's a 24-hour bageleteria in Hackney (east London) which does bacon and
> > cream cheese bagels. Very nice they are too, especially when you're starving
> > at 3a.m. and had long since given up hope of finding anywhere to buy food
> > to sustain you on a forthcoming 75-mile drive home to Portsmouth.
>
> Geez, you Limeys are a bunch of wimps. B-)=
>
> 75 miles is my one-way commute to work!

Geez, you Yanks are nutcases. 150 miles commuted every day? I feel ill.

Hoosier Red

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

In article <pQ5u1BAt...@sidhen.demon.co.uk>,
Morgan Gallagher <Mor...@sidhen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>The road network in the UK, which grewed like Topsy, does not have long
>lines of straight roads to pelt down. And we don't have enuogh of them
>- so spending time in traffic going nowhere is pretty standard in the
>South. My 90 odd mile commute from Reading to Coventry, was mostly
>motorway, which made it viable - under two hours mostdays (long country
>stretch to get to motorway spun it out). A 90 mile commute in the
>opposite direction, would have take at least two hours more, and make it
>out of the question.
>
>People who commute into London, by train and tube, can easily spend two
>hours doing a journey that's probably drivable in ten minutes if they
>rest of the world wasn't in the way. No different from big USA cities,
>no doubt. What's difficult for people from Large Countries (tm) to
>appreciate is that driving in this country *per se*, is the same. The
>roads just don't go where you want them to! And they hardly ever go in
>straight lines. You spend a lot of time *aiming* in the general
>direction you want to go in, and dropping down, dropping up,
>backtracking and overshooting to actually get there.

*nodding enthusiastically*

When I moved to England and got married, the honey and I used to trek up to
the North to visit his family. From where we lived, Creswell was maybe
about 240 klicks (149 miles) as the crow flies. Now, if you're near a
decent highway in the States, you'll make it there in maybe 2.5 hours,
right?

However, we were living in this tiny town called Tongham, right next to
Aldershot and fifteen minutes away from Guildford (i.e. the county seat of
Surrey). All three towns were beneath London if viewed on a map, which
meant that we couldn't just head due north because of this dirty great city
in the way (drive across it? You must be mad -- I drove across London
once, on a Sunday afternoon, and I swore to myself never again). There
simply was no direct route from the South to the North.

So, if we wanted to take the motorway up to Mum's, we had to
1) drive SOUTH to Guildford
2) get on the A3 there and head north to the M25
3) take the M25 clockwise (west, then north, then east) until we reached
the M1.

Oh, how simple that sentence appears. *sigh*

4) take the M1 north to exit 30 and work our way east to Creswell.

Four hours, all told, and that's on a good day, after rush hour, when the
government hadn't been implementing its "Dig Up the Road" Scheme (see,
there isn't really enough tarmac in England to cover all the roads, so they
have to keep shuttling it around from motorway to motorway, which is why
you will always run into road construction no matter where you go). You
don't want to know how long it took on a bad day.

We finally figured out that it was *faster* to take this complicated route
of A and B roads around Oxford, and that saved us about an hour. When we
came back to the States for a visit, I was never so happy to see a nice,
long, straight stretch of highway in my life.

MMF

Melanie Miller Fletcher xan...@ibm.net http://www.io.com/~hoosier
Expatriate Chicagoan * Babe Feminist * SFLAaE/BS

Acting is for people who need to have people pay close attention to them.
I write, which means I have a large ego best viewed from a distance.

Marilee J. Layman

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

In <34330...@news1.ibm.net>, "Barnaby" <hra...@ibm.net> wrote:

>Then I guess what happened is that the resemblance of bagels to donuts
>triggered certain unfortunate associations in the minds of the public. Or
>have I been missing blueberry and cinnamon pizza? (I admit pineapple on
>pizza comes close....)

Um, yes. As it happens, I went to Pizza Hut for breakfast today (they
have a lunch buffet that starts at 11:30am) and they always have
"dessert pizza" on the buffet -- half apple & cinnamon, half something
red (cherry, I think) with white icing drizzled on it. I've never
tried it, but lots of people have a slice after they eat the regular
pizza (which includes ham & pineapple pizza).

Barnaby

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Marilee J. Layman wrote in article <3434e7fa...@news.erols.com>...

>In <34330...@news1.ibm.net>, "Barnaby" <hra...@ibm.net> wrote:
>
>>Then I guess what happened is that the resemblance of bagels to donuts
>>triggered certain unfortunate associations in the minds of the public.
Or
>>have I been missing blueberry and cinnamon pizza? (I admit pineapple on
>>pizza comes close....)
>
>Um, yes. As it happens, I went to Pizza Hut for breakfast today (they
>have a lunch buffet that starts at 11:30am) and they always have
>"dessert pizza" on the buffet -- half apple & cinnamon, half something
>red (cherry, I think) with white icing drizzled on it. I've never
>tried it, but lots of people have a slice after they eat the regular
>pizza (which includes ham & pineapple pizza).

*gag* *spew*

I think I'll go somewhere less nauseating, like the dental atrocities
thread.

Barnaby Rapoport

Jo Walton

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

In article <B058AA2B9...@slip139-92-44-81.zo.nl.ibm.net>
xan...@ibm.net "Hoosier Red" writes:

> Four hours, all told, and that's on a good day, after rush hour, when the
> government hadn't been implementing its "Dig Up the Road" Scheme (see,
> there isn't really enough tarmac in England to cover all the roads, so they
> have to keep shuttling it around from motorway to motorway, which is why
> you will always run into road construction no matter where you go). You
> don't want to know how long it took on a bad day.

Ah.

Thank you.

I've often wondered about that, and now it is revealed. It's
obvious when you think about it, don't know why I'd never worked
that out for myself.

> We finally figured out that it was *faster* to take this complicated route
> of A and B roads around Oxford, and that saved us about an hour. When we
> came back to the States for a visit, I was never so happy to see a nice,
> long, straight stretch of highway in my life.

In NorAm, not only are the roads straight (like Roman roads, I understood
that concept before I went there) they have cross-roads at straight
angles. The entire continent is on a grid - like graph paper. Boggling.

This means if you want to go somewhere and there's a road that
looks as if it goes the right way, it _will_. It will never lead you into
a maze of twisty streets all alike, half of them one way in the wrong
direction and the rest dead ends. It will never find you a neat short
cut past a graveyard that saves you ages either, but people can wander
off in completely strange cities, confident they will be able to find
their way back, _without_ a map.

People who have lived in London all their lives own an A-Z, and _need_
it sometimes.

--
Jo - - I kissed a kif at Kefk - - J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Marcus L. Rowland

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

In article <875774...@bluejo.demon.co.uk>, Jo Walton
<J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> writes

>People who have lived in London all their lives own an A-Z, and _need_
>it sometimes.
~~~~~~~~~
Several times a month in my case. I'm convinced that London's roads were
designed using chaos theory, which was a neat trick considering when
most of them were laid out. Even in Bikerspace it can take me ten
minutes to get a couple of miles on a bad day.

Bikerspace - "Oh my God, it's full of cars..."

(Apologies if I've made this joke here before.)
--
Marcus L. Rowland
http://www.ffutures.demon.co.uk/

Vicki Rosenzweig

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Jo Walton wrote:

> In NorAm, not only are the roads straight (like Roman roads, I understood
> that concept before I went there) they have cross-roads at straight
> angles. The entire continent is on a grid - like graph paper. Boggling.
>
> This means if you want to go somewhere and there's a road that
> looks as if it goes the right way, it _will_. It will never lead you into
> a maze of twisty streets all alike, half of them one way in the wrong
> direction and the rest dead ends. It will never find you a neat short
> cut past a graveyard that saves you ages either, but people can wander
> off in completely strange cities, confident they will be able to find
> their way back, _without_ a map.
>

> People who have lived in London all their lives own an A-Z, and _need_
> it sometimes.

I think this is true for some values of North America.
I'm told the Midwest is like that (I haven't spent enough
time there to know). On the other hand, in much of New
England and New York, the roads wind around mountains
and run through river valleys--there are exactly two good
ways through the Appalachians between the Canadian border
and Georgia, for example. And large parts of Manhattan have
less-than-linear street systems; if you ever come to New
York and want to visit Greenwich Village, Chinatown, or
Washington Heights, I recommend a map. It'll be handy when
you find yourself at the corner of Waverly Place and
Waverly Place, or wondering where Great Jones Street is.

Cally Soukup

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Jo Walton (J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: In NorAm, not only are the roads straight (like Roman roads, I understood
: that concept before I went there) they have cross-roads at straight
: angles. The entire continent is on a grid - like graph paper. Boggling.

: This means if you want to go somewhere and there's a road that
: looks as if it goes the right way, it _will_. It will never lead you into
: a maze of twisty streets all alike, half of them one way in the wrong
: direction and the rest dead ends. It will never find you a neat short
: cut past a graveyard that saves you ages either, but people can wander
: off in completely strange cities, confident they will be able to find
: their way back, _without_ a map.

Well, much of the time, yes. Unfortunately, lots of urban planners nowadays
seem to like subdivisions filled with little twisty roads and cul-de-sacs.
I work for a little civil engineering company, and I argue against this
every chance I get, but have yet to convince anyone that Straight Lines Are
Good. *sigh*. I understand that in Boston delivery truck drivers
regularly hire taxicabs to lead them to their destinations....

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

On Thu, 02 Oct 1997 19:23:56 -0400, Vicki Rosenzweig
<v...@interport.net> wrote:

>On the other hand, in much of New
>England and New York, the roads wind around mountains
>and run through river valleys--there are exactly two good
>ways through the Appalachians between the Canadian border
>and Georgia, for example.

This is no longer true. I can name four just off the top of my head.

--
TOUCHED BY THE GODS: Hardcover, Tor Books, November 1997, $24.95
The Misenchanted Page: http://www.sff.net/people/LWE/ Updated 8/5/97

Morgan Gallagher

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

In article <34342...@news1.ibm.net>, Barnaby <hra...@ibm.net> writes

it occurred to me that you lot think baked potatoes and pizza was
strange....

David E Romm

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

In article <343433b9...@news.clark.net>, lawr...@clark.net
(Lawrence Watt-Evans) wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Oct 1997 19:23:56 -0400, Vicki Rosenzweig
> <v...@interport.net> wrote:
>
> >On the other hand, in much of New
> >England and New York, the roads wind around mountains
> >and run through river valleys--there are exactly two good
> >ways through the Appalachians between the Canadian border
> >and Georgia, for example.
>
> This is no longer true. I can name four just off the top of my head.

Doesn't the noise bother you?
--
Shockwave radio: Science Fiction/Science Fact/Weirdness Unbound
http://www.visi.com/~romm
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

Craig Macbride

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton) writes:

>This means if you want to go somewhere and there's a road that
>looks as if it goes the right way, it _will_.

Where's your sense of adventure?

>People who have lived in London all their lives own an A-Z, and _need_
>it sometimes.

Driving around London is a challenging, yet quite enjoyable, experience.
... Okay, except for the one-way streets that happen to go the opposite way
to the way you want them to.

Those who think London is bad should try Canberra.

--
Craig Macbride <cr...@rmit.edu.au> URL: http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~craigm

"It's a sense of humour like mine, Carla, that makes me proud
to be ashamed of myself." - Captain Kremmen

Bernard Peek

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

In rec.arts.sf.fandom, article <875774...@bluejo.demon.co.uk>, Jo
Walton <J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> writes

>People who have lived in London all their lives own an A-Z, and _need_
>it sometimes.

People who live in London tend to assume that everyone has one. So I
strongly recommend that anyone that intends to do anything more than
that usual tourist thang should get one *before* they need to ask
directions. It makes things simpler for everyone.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@intersec.demon.co.uk

James Nicoll

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

In article <875774...@bluejo.demon.co.uk>,
Jo Walton <J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <B058AA2B9...@slip139-92-44-81.zo.nl.ibm.net>

>This means if you want to go somewhere and there's a road that

>looks as if it goes the right way, it _will_. It will never lead you into
>a maze of twisty streets all alike, half of them one way in the wrong
>direction and the rest dead ends. It will never find you a neat short

>cut past a graveyard that saves you ages either (...)

An annoying bit of progress in Kitchener (which is not a grid:
we have parallel street which cross two or three times and cresents
which are straight) is the renaming of a road which runs through a grave-
yard from Charon Street to something vanilla.

James Nicoll
--
"Your pitiful weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Uh, this isn't Mars, this is Earth." "Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons

Robert Sneddon

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

In article <HebF7OAG...@intersec.demon.co.uk>
b...@intersec.demon.co.uk "Bernard Peek" writes:

They also make a nice piece of memorabilia for the tourist to take
home with them (and of course, if they ever come back...)

I know of an American Sherlock Holmes fan who has never been to London
(but who will, sometime - it's a lifelong ambition of his) who has a
well-thumbed A-Z, which he uses to follow a Holmes story as it twists
and turns down near the docks (I should point out this is an *old*
A-Z...) or elsewhere in the capital.

If you are ever lost in Central London, look for a young man (very rarely
a woman) bundled up, driving a scooter with a large red "L" on the front
and a clipboard mounted on the handlebars. If you can catch them to ask
them directions, they will be extremely pleased to share their Knowledge
with you.

--
To reply via email, remove the string "_nospam_" from my address.

Robert (nojay) Sneddon

Marcus L. Rowland

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

In article <875954312snz@ibfs._nospam_demon.co.uk>, Robert Sneddon
<nojay@ibfs._nospam_demon.co.uk> writes

> I know of an American Sherlock Holmes fan who has never been to London
>(but who will, sometime - it's a lifelong ambition of his) who has a
>well-thumbed A-Z, which he uses to follow a Holmes story as it twists
>and turns down near the docks (I should point out this is an *old*
>A-Z...) or elsewhere in the capital.

He might want to consider buying some of the large-scale Victorian
Ordnance Survey map reprints (the Godfrey edition) which cover an area
of a mile or so by a mile and a half at 15 inches to the mile; they are
1:2500 scale maps reduced to approximately 1:4340 scale, with some
larger scale maps available for things like the Tower of London. Their
maps now cover most of London and some other areas, and most of them
have details of local history and entries from trade directories on the
back. Sold for about ukp 1.65 the last time I looked, with reductions
for quantity. Unfortunately London alone needs 100+ maps at this scale.

I don't think they have a web site, but the postal address is
57-58 Spoor St., Dunston, Gateshead, NE11 9BD, UK

I particularly recommend map 63 (Whitechapel 1894) covering the area of
most (possibly all, I'm not sure) of the Jack the Ripper murders; it's
considerably clearer than the "official Ripper map" and about a sixth of
the price. There are also nice maps of the Crystal Palace, large scale
plans of various stations, etc. etc.

Vicki Rosenzweig

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

Ulrika wrote:

> In article <60e5hd$5...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM>, jan...@eng.sun.com (Janice

> Gelb) writes:
>
> >Cinnamon-raisin was the first insidious infiltrator into True
> >Bagel Flavors, opening the doors to such atrocities as whole wheat,
> >blueberry, and, the ultimate apostate, chocolate chip.
>
> By the way, do 'everything' bagels count in the canon --
> the ones with salt, garlic, onion, poppyseed, and sesame
> seed? I like those.
>
> Ulrika O'Brien, Philosopher Without Portfolio
>
> ***ulr...@aol.com***

Everything bagels count because they consist entirely of
canonical ingredients.

Typos are Coyote padding through the language, grinning.
--Susanna Sturgis

Ulrika

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

Ulrika

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

fitc...@aol.com (FitchDonS) writes:

>suspect that "pumpernickle bagels" are most often (like the 3 or 4
>I've had) just bagels made with a fair percentage of rye flour & a
>little carmel coloring. A bit strong-tasting for use with good
>lox, to my taste, but excellent with lots of cream cheese (no-
>cholesterol cream cheese, even).

I bet you mean 'nova' not 'lox'. At least if you think that true
pumpernickle would be too 'strong-tasting' for use with it.

P Nielsen Hayden

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

In article <EHHo7...@novice.uwaterloo.ca>, jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca (James Nicoll) wrote:

> An annoying bit of progress in Kitchener (which is not a grid:
>we have parallel street which cross two or three times and cresents
>which are straight) is the renaming of a road which runs through a grave-
>yard from Charon Street to something vanilla.

Well, for that matter, didn't Kitchener itself used to be named Berlin? (In a
province which also contains a London and a Paris.)

-----
Patrick Nielsen Hayden : p...@panix.com : http://www.panix.com/~pnh

Emshandar

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

From: Vicki Rosenzweig <v...@interport.net>

>And large parts of Manhattan have
>less-than-linear street systems; if you ever come to New
>York and want to visit Greenwich Village, Chinatown, or
>Washington Heights, I recommend a map. It'll be handy when
>you find yourself at the corner of Waverly Place and
>Waverly Place, or wondering where Great Jones Street is.

Yah. Atlanta is the result od the accretion of several farming communities
into a big city...

Every damned one had _its_ _own_ street "grid" (ridgelines and cattle
paths...), and when they grew together the result was disaster
--

mike weber <emsh...@aol.com>

Craig Macbride

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

"Barnaby" <hra...@ibm.net> writes:

> Marilee J. Layman wrote in article <3434e7fa...@news.erols.com>...

>>but lots of people have a slice after they eat the regular

>>pizza (which includes ham & pineapple pizza).
>
>*gag* *spew*

Can anyone explain to me why it is that so many Americans find mixtures
like peanut butter and jelly okay, yet seem to have a thorough horror of
pineapple as a pizza topping or burger ingredient?

The poor ol' pineapple!

Kevin J. Maroney

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

emsh...@aol.com (Emshandar) wrote:

>Somewhere in Miss., US278 rejoins 78, and they share about ten -- twenty miles
> of two-lane blacktop. But, if you read the signs, you become aware that
> _here_ you are on West 78 and _East_ 278...

Similar effect in western Virginia with North I-77 and South I-81.

--
Kevin J. Maroney | Crossover Technologies | kmar...@crossover.com
Games are my entire waking life.

Morgan Gallagher

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

In article <343d06df...@news.crossover.com>, "Kevin J. Maroney"
<kmar...@crossover.com> writes
>Of course, I love atypical food combos. For instance, it should
>surprise no one that french fries dipped in chocolate are wonderful;
>you can actually *feel* your arteries hardening.

Obviouslly a Scottish gene lurking in your background somewhere.

Allen J. Baum

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

> From: J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton) said

> >In NorAm, not only are the roads straight (like Roman roads, I understood
> >that concept before I went there) they have cross-roads at straight
> >angles. The entire continent is on a grid - like graph paper. Boggling.
> >
> >This means if you want to go somewhere and there's a road that
> >looks as if it goes the right way, it _will_.

Cambridge (England) was described to me (accurately) as non-Euclidean:
You could turn left at 3 right-angle intersection, or 5,
and end up back where you started. I'm not sure what would happen
if you did that to the right, or if you transplanted it south of
the equator, or if you translated it to someplace similar where they
drove on the right (like, say, Boston)

Boston's roads are at least equal to London. Why, I know someone who parked
on a one way street in Boston, and returned to her car to find that it was
now one way in the other direction.
There is an area which is gridded (Back Bay) - 5 blocks wide.
The 5 streets are all one way.
Four of them are one way in the same direction, as I recall.
Our friend was going to drive us to the airport from Back Bay,
and every time she turned in the direction of the airport,
we'd end up going in exacly the opposite direction - you really, really,
couldn't get there from, uh, there. It would have been vastly amusing if
our
flight was not starting to board...

* Allen J. Baum *
* Digital Semiconductor *
* 181 Lytton Ave. *
* Palo Alto, CA 94306 *

Bernard Peek

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

In rec.arts.sf.fandom, article <343d06df...@news.crossover.com>,

"Kevin J. Maroney" <kmar...@crossover.com> writes
>cr...@rmit.edu.au (Craig Macbride) wrote:
>
>>Can anyone explain to me why it is that so many Americans find mixtures
>>like peanut butter and jelly okay, yet seem to have a thorough horror of
>>pineapple as a pizza topping or burger ingredient?
>
>It is an odd aversion. Most Americans look slightly sideways at
>combinations of fruit and "real" food, as nearly as I can tell,
>although turkey+cranberries is a classic combo.

Strange. The British aversion to sweet and savoury foods together is
probably recent. Certainly 14th century recipes used combinations like
meat with raisins and sugar. Sugar was one of the "spices" supposedly
used to mask the flavour of tainted meat.

At LSC2 I still couldn't face the idea of waffles, maple syrup, whipped
cream and strawberry sauce on the same breakfast plate as my jalapeno
omelette and sausages.

I had the waffles on a separate plate.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@intersec.demon.co.uk

P Nielsen Hayden

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

In article <61ak33$a...@panix2.panix.com>, awnb...@panix.com wrote:

>Canadian Bacon & Pineapple is my favorite pizza ever and for all
>time. I believe that, in the end, it will defeat Marmite in a
>battle for control of the universe.

Yes, but can Canadian Bacon & Pineapple Pizza defeat the Death Star?

Brenda Daverin

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

In article <61a8t2$601$1...@aggedor.rmit.edu.au>, cr...@rmit.edu.au (Craig
Macbride) wrote:

> "Barnaby" <hra...@ibm.net> writes:
>
> > Marilee J. Layman wrote in article <3434e7fa...@news.erols.com>...
>
> >>but lots of people have a slice after they eat the regular
> >>pizza (which includes ham & pineapple pizza).
> >
> >*gag* *spew*
>

> Can anyone explain to me why it is that so many Americans find mixtures
> like peanut butter and jelly okay, yet seem to have a thorough horror of
> pineapple as a pizza topping or burger ingredient?
>

> The poor ol' pineapple!

I'm an American, and I can't figure it out. Ham (or better, "Canadian"
[back?] bacon) and pineapple makes a damn fine pizza. A teriyaki burger
with a pineapple ring on it is also quite tasty. Of course, I discovered
after trying it that, were marmite just a touch less salty, it'd make
being a vegetarian much nicer if I chose that route. Of course, I'd have
to justify calling myself a vegetarian while eating yeast extract (or
should I say bacteria puree), but that's a different argument.

-Brenda

--
I don't speak for Apple Computer, Inc.
The preceding message is a test of my mail filtering system. If this had been a real Usenet post, it would have been filled with senseless trivia and excess flamage. This is a recording.

James Nicoll

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

In article <6182ku$2...@news1.panix.com>,

P Nielsen Hayden <p...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <EHHo7...@novice.uwaterloo.ca>, jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
>> An annoying bit of progress in Kitchener (which is not a grid:
>>we have parallel street which cross two or three times and cresents
>>which are straight) is the renaming of a road which runs through a grave-
>>yard from Charon Street to something vanilla.
>
>Well, for that matter, didn't Kitchener itself used to be named Berlin? (In a
>province which also contains a London and a Paris.)

Yeah. Got renamed during The War to End All Wars. Took two
referendi, as the local army boys were a bit too blatent in "urging"
the local German-Canadian population to either vote correctly or
stay home. Adanac and Berlin split the vote, letting the city be
named after a man whose primary acheivements were pioneering
concentration camps and, IMS, recruiting methods that let entire
cohorts from villages be blown to smithereens by the same shell.

Avram Grumer

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

In article <19971006040...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
emsh...@aol.com (Emshandar) wrote:

> Yah. Atlanta is the result od the accretion of several
> farming communities into a big city...
> Every damned one had _its_ _own_ street "grid" (ridgelines
> and cattle paths...), and when they grew together the result
> was disaster

We've got one of those in New York, too. We call ours "Queens."

--
Avram Grumer Home: av...@interport.net
http://www.crossover.com/agrumer/ Work: agr...@crossover.com

In the future, everyone's web server will be down for fifteen minutes.

Ulrika

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

Macbride) writes:

>Can anyone explain to me why it is that so many Americans find >mixtures
like peanut butter and jelly okay, yet seem to have a
>thorough horror of pineapple as a pizza topping or burger
> ingredient?

But, we don't. 'Sweet Pig' or Canadian Bacon & pineapple
pizza enjoys a perfectly respectable level of popularity, as
do various teriyaki burgers and so forth that include pineapple.
I admit, I might not be that enthralled with, say, a Brit pizza or burger
with pineapple, but that's because I really don't care for cheddar
as a pizza cheese, and find that non-Americans don't quite get
the true spirit of hamburgers. Maybe Australia's different.

Jonathan J. Baker

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

In <> emsh...@aol.com (Emshandar) writes:
>From: Vicki Rosenzweig <v...@interport.net>

>>And large parts of Manhattan have
>>less-than-linear street systems; if you ever come to New

>Yah. Atlanta is the result od the accretion of several farming communities

> into a big city...
>Every damned one had _its_ _own_ street "grid" (ridgelines and cattle
> paths...), and when they grew together the result was disaster

And so is New York City, which is celebrating the centennial of its
incorporation as five boroughs this year. Brooklyn has two or three
major grids and well over a dozen minor grids, some with numbering
systems, some with names. Queens is even worse, as some of their
major grid systems curve around wholesale, or get applied to the
uneven streets of single-unit housing developments. On the Independent
Subway System (one of the three old systems that got mushed into one in
1940) there are 3 stops called Seventh Avenue, two of them on one route
(the D train) in different boroughs. Cities like Chicago & Seattle
which seem to have been laid out according to the Land Ordinance are
much simpler, although even in Seattle the street numbering scheme leads
to some strange things, like a South 459th Street several miles outside
the city.

Jonathan Baker
jjb...@panix.com

Dave Locke

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

On 6 Oct 1997 08:03:47 -0400 Michael R Weholt phosphorized:

> Craig Macbride <cr...@rmit.edu.au> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone explain to me why it is that so many Americans find mixtures
>>like peanut butter and jelly okay, yet seem to have a thorough horror of
>>pineapple as a pizza topping or burger ingredient?
>>

>>The poor ol' pineapple!

>Canadian Bacon & Pineapple is my favorite pizza ever and for all
>time.

It's one of my favorites, too, and is often referred to as a Hawaiian
pizza. And I know at least half a dozen fans who like it, also.

There are some pizzas I like better. One is a Ranch pizza, or a
Hawaiian Ranch, both of which have ranch dressing instead of tomato
paste. Another is a Focaccia-style pizza, which is a
crunchy-on-the-outside, fluffy-inside baked crust with garlic sauce,
Italian herbs, four cheeses, and a choice of four-from-eight toppings
(mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, green olives, sausage, ground beef,
pepperoni, capocolla ham).

My favorite, though, is Artichoke pizza, made with ranch dressing.
This I've never seen sold anywhere, but came across a recipe for it,
and it's a heavenly thing to build and eat. I'll dig out the recipe
if anyone is interested.
---
Dave | dave...@bigfoot.com | http://www.angelfire.com/oh/slowdjin

Kevin J. Maroney

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

cr...@rmit.edu.au (Craig Macbride) wrote:

>Can anyone explain to me why it is that so many Americans find mixtures
>like peanut butter and jelly okay, yet seem to have a thorough horror of
>pineapple as a pizza topping or burger ingredient?

It is an odd aversion. Most Americans look slightly sideways at

combinations of fruit and "real" food, as nearly as I can tell,
although turkey+cranberries is a classic combo.

(I mention this because I was recently treated to a "thanksgiving on a
roll" sandwich at a local restaurant--turkey, stuffing, and
cranberries on some crusty bread--and I realized how *odd* it felt to
have both meat and fruit in the same sandwich.)

Of course, I love atypical food combos. For instance, it should
surprise no one that french fries dipped in chocolate are wonderful;
you can actually *feel* your arteries hardening.

Morgan Gallagher

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

In article <5czq7QAq...@intersec.demon.co.uk>, Bernard Peek
<b...@intersec.demon.co.uk> writes

>Strange. The British aversion to sweet and savoury foods together is
>probably recent. Certainly 14th century recipes used combinations like
>meat with raisins and sugar. Sugar was one of the "spices" supposedly
>used to mask the flavour of tainted meat.

Actually, I use sugar in meat dishes sometimes. This may be a kick back
to my mediaeval cooking days with the Barony, however. But a little
sugar makes a huge difference to many meat dishes - chicken with lemon
for instance. Not to mention that many people use honey and soy sauce
as a basic barbeque sauce.

One of my favourite indian dishes is chicken with bananas, cream and
mango.

And the best possible way to make carrots (im my humble opinions) it to
thinly slice them lengthwise, fry them in butter, and glaze them with
sugar and lemon juice. Perfect with freshly poached salmon, hollendaise
and new potatoes.

Yum.

XNimshubur

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

In article <343d06df...@news.crossover.com>, kmar...@crossover.com
(Kevin J. Maroney) writes:

>It is an odd aversion. Most Americans look slightly sideways at
>combinations of fruit and "real" food, as nearly as I can tell,
>although turkey+cranberries is a classic combo.

Pork chops or pork roast and applesauce?
--
Doug Wickstrom
To reply by E-mail, remove the "X" from the addy. If you forget,

Craig Macbride

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

kmar...@crossover.com (Kevin J. Maroney) writes:

>It is an odd aversion. Most Americans look slightly sideways at
>combinations of fruit and "real" food, as nearly as I can tell,
>although turkey+cranberries is a classic combo.

Mmmmm. Turkey. It's so very expensive (about 3 times the cost of chicken)
here that I hardly ever have it.

One of the good things about the USA is the cheap and plentiful existence
of turkeys.

>Of course, I love atypical food combos. For instance, it should
>surprise no one that french fries dipped in chocolate are wonderful;
>you can actually *feel* your arteries hardening.

Oh, that is gross! Even worse than dipping them in tomato sauce!
I've found that soy sauce is nice on chips, and makes them look so
awful that other folks won't pinch them. from you :-)

Seth Breidbart

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

Emshandar <emsh...@aol.com> wrote:

>Yah. Atlanta is the result od the accretion of several farming communities
> into a big city...
>Every damned one had _its_ _own_ street "grid" (ridgelines and cattle
> paths...), and when they grew together the result was disaster

There's a road near Boston where the two towns have different
numbering schemes. The problem is, the road runs roughly parallel to
the border between them, so which numbering scheme applies to a house
depends on just how far back from the road it's set.

Seth

Aahz

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

In article <KsBm6TAF...@sidhen.demon.co.uk>,

Morgan Gallagher <Mor...@sidhen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>And the best possible way to make carrots (im my humble opinions) it to
>thinly slice them lengthwise, fry them in butter, and glaze them with
>sugar and lemon juice.

Close, but no cigar. Slice 'em thick, and butter-steam 'em with basil
until they turn just a tiny bit soft.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 <*> http://www.bayarea.net/~aahz
Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been
searching for evidence which could support this." -- Bertrand Russell

Morris M. Keesan

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

On Wed, 01 Oct 97 21:37:18 GMT, San...@ho-street.demon.co.uk (Sandra Bond)
wrote:
>In article <znr875644810k@Digex>
> cro...@access.digex.net "Francis A. Ney, Jr." writes:
>> Geez, you Limeys are a bunch of wimps. B-)=
>>
>> 75 miles is my one-way commute to work!
>>
>Geez, you Yanks are nutcases. 150 miles commuted every day? I feel ill.
>
>Sandra

Not all of us. I refuse to work more than 10 miles from my home. I made
the mistake of taking a job last year which required a 20-mile one-way
commute, and left after 6 months because it was too much travelling for me.

--
Morris M. Keesan -- kee...@world.std.com
--
Ύοο ύωφο ϋZ .overview<. d< ..<+ .

Morris M. Keesan

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

On Sat, 04 Oct 1997 18:15:43 -0400, Vicki Rosenzweig <v...@interport.net>
wrote:

>Ulrika wrote:
>>
>> In article <60e5hd$5...@engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM>, jan...@eng.sun.com (Janice
>> Gelb) writes:
>>
>> >Cinnamon-raisin was the first insidious infiltrator into True
>> >Bagel Flavors, opening the doors to such atrocities as whole wheat,
>> >blueberry, and, the ultimate apostate, chocolate chip.
>>
>> By the way, do 'everything' bagels count in the canon --
>> the ones with salt, garlic, onion, poppyseed, and sesame
>> seed? I like those.
>>
>> Ulrika O'Brien, Philosopher Without Portfolio
>>
>> ***ulr...@aol.com***
>
>Everything bagels count because they consist entirely of
>canonical ingredients.

But what about shatnez?

It is loading more messages.