Romance at conventions

neils

Oct 23, 2005, 5:52:57 AM10/23/05
Hi guys, just wondering how common it is for guests and organisers to hook
up? No I dont mean just the roll in the hay but more long term

Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing

Oct 23, 2005, 7:23:47 AM10/23/05
In article <435b5d81$0$8655$5a62...@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>, "neils" <one...@iinet.net.au> writes:
>Hi guys, just wondering how common it is for guests and organisers to hook
>up? No I dont mean just the roll in the hay but more long term

I think we're the wrong people to ask.

That is, I suspect that the convention you're thinking of is the kind of thing
were guests are paid and wouldn't be there if they weren't. In the kind of
thing that Kevin Standlee, Seth Breidbart, etc, run, most of the guests
(authors, editors, publishers, artists, musicians, even scientists) are
community members who might go to conventions even if they weren't on the
program. They might even be, or have been, organizers of other conventions.

When they're community members who live their lives as part of this kind of
fandom, it's not remotely uncommon for them to find their long-term partners
in fandom. (Not guaranteed, but not remotely uncommon.)

-- Alan

Robert Sneddon

Oct 23, 2005, 8:03:48 AM10/23/05
In message <00A4BB12...@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>, Alan Winston -
SSRL Central Computing <win...@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> writes

>When they're community members who live their lives as part of this kind of
>fandom, it's not remotely uncommon for them to find their long-term partners
>in fandom. (Not guaranteed, but not remotely uncommon.)

Harlan Ellison met his wife, Susan at a convention in Glasgow when he
was GoH.
--
My gmail account is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

Keith Stokes

Oct 23, 2005, 9:04:48 AM10/23/05
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 19:52:57 +1000, "neils" <one...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:

>Hi guys, just wondering how common it is for guests and organisers to hook
>up? No I dont mean just the roll in the hay but more long term

That questionseems odd. Why would you single out guests and
organizers?

There are romances between any comination of people attending
conventions.

Kieth

Kevin Standlee

Oct 23, 2005, 9:06:49 PM10/23/05

If you mean "how many people met their future life partner at an SF/F
convention," the answer is "a lot," including me. (I met Lisa Hayes in
the halls of the 1990 Westercon in Portland while I was putting up
flyers for a San Francisco in 1993 Worldcon bid party.)

If you'd define "guests" and "organisers," it would be easier to answer
that question. I, like others in this thread, am puzzled by the precise
way you put it.

Heck, there are lots of conventions where I am both a guest (if you mean
that to be "program participant" _and_ an organizer (if you mean
"volunteered to work on the convention in some respect"). For example,
at CascadiaCon, I was Fan Guest of Honor, and was also on the committee
(North American definition) as an advisor to the Chair for WSFS matters.
There isn't really a dichotomy between "guest" and "organiser" in my
opinion -- they're two overlapping sets.

--
---
Kevin Standlee

neils

Oct 23, 2005, 10:00:01 PM10/23/05

"Kevin Standlee" <in...@sfsfc.org> wrote in message

Okay obviously way to specific.

Finding life partners at events

Kip Williams

Oct 24, 2005, 12:27:54 AM10/24/05
neils wrote:

I met Cathy at a DASFA Dead Dog 27 years and two days ago. I still
remember that night, and driving back to Fort Collins (from Denver) in
my sister's car at 6:30 am. Almost dozed right off the road a couple of
times. I survived. Last Monday was our 25th anniversary.

Kip W

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 24, 2005, 1:04:04 AM10/24/05
In article <JsW6f.6718$7h7....@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,

Kevin Standlee <in...@sfsfc.org> wrote:
>neils wrote:
>> Hi guys, just wondering how common it is for guests and
> > organisers to hook up? No I dont mean just the roll
> > in the hay but more long term
>
>If you mean "how many people met their future life partner at an SF/F
>convention," the answer is "a lot," including me. (I met Lisa Hayes in
>the halls of the 1990 Westercon in Portland while I was putting up
>flyers for a San Francisco in 1993 Worldcon bid party.)
>
>If you'd define "guests" and "organisers," it would be easier to answer
>that question. I, like others in this thread, am puzzled by the precise
>way you put it.

I'm going to make a guess, based on my hypothesis that the OP is
talking about the other kind of convention, the kind where a huge
hall is hired and lots of people pay an admission fee in order to
look at TV stars.

And my guess is that the OP, talking about this kind of
convention, is asking, "If I work on a convention having famous
TV stars as guests, will I have a chance to get into bed with any
of them?"

If that is NOT what the OP was asking, I apologize.

But if that is what he's asking, I suspect the answer is an
overwhelming NO.

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 24, 2005, 1:07:38 AM10/24/05
In article <435c4029$0$8653$5a62...@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,

neils <one...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>Okay obviously way to specific.
>
>Finding life partners at events

OK, so you were not asking what I thought you were asking, and I
apologize.

In that case, yes, it's possible. My husband's sister met this
nice young man at a convention, and they're still married <counts
on fingers> 32 years later. (I can figure this 'cause I was
pregnant with my 31-year-old at their wedding.)

neils

Oct 24, 2005, 2:29:36 AM10/24/05

"Kip Williams" <ki...@comcast.net> wrote in message

25 yrs. Congratulations

Kip Williams

Oct 24, 2005, 8:14:53 AM10/24/05
neils wrote:

> "Kip Williams" <ki...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>

>>I met Cathy at a DASFA Dead Dog 27 years and two days ago. I still
>>remember that night, and driving back to Fort Collins (from Denver) in my
>>sister's car at 6:30 am. Almost dozed right off the road a couple of
>>times. I survived. Last Monday was our 25th anniversary.
>
> 25 yrs. Congratulations

Thanks! Looking back, I'm particularly glad I survived the drive home.
It was, however, the start of being happy more than otherwise for me.

Kip W

Kip Williams

Oct 24, 2005, 8:15:35 AM10/24/05
Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> In that case, yes, it's possible. My husband's sister met this
> nice young man at a convention, and they're still married <counts
> on fingers> 32 years later. (I can figure this 'cause I was
> pregnant with my 31-year-old at their wedding.)

There's one for the Guinness book!

Kip W
ouch

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 24, 2005, 9:05:40 AM10/24/05
In article <nrGdneZtNJj...@comcast.com>,

Oh, I doubt it. Hal and I have been married 34 years, but there
are marriages older than that too.

Hal and I did not meet at a con. We met at an SCA event.

Kip Williams

Oct 24, 2005, 11:05:25 AM10/24/05
Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> In article <nrGdneZtNJj...@comcast.com>,
> Kip Williams <ki...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>>
>>>In that case, yes, it's possible. My husband's sister met this
>>>nice young man at a convention, and they're still married <counts
>>>on fingers> 32 years later. (I can figure this 'cause I was
>>>pregnant with my 31-year-old at their wedding.)
>>
>>There's one for the Guinness book!
>
> Oh, I doubt it. Hal and I have been married 34 years, but there
> are marriages older than that too.

I was referring to being pregnant with a 31-year-old, actually.

Kip W

Karl Johanson

Oct 24, 2005, 12:30:34 PM10/24/05
"Kip Williams" <ki...@comcast.net> wrote in message

: )

Karl Johanson

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 24, 2005, 1:36:28 PM10/24/05
In article <nNWdncOVyfm...@comcast.com>,

Oh. I seem to have expressed myself badly. He's 31 NOW.

Bill Higgins

Oct 24, 2005, 2:23:50 PM10/24/05
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, neils wrote:

> "Kevin Standlee" <in...@sfsfc.org> wrote in message
>> neils wrote:
>>> Hi guys, just wondering how common it is for guests and
>>> organisers to hook up? No I dont mean just the roll
>>> in the hay but more long term
>>
>> If you mean "how many people met their future life partner at an SF/F
>> convention," the answer is "a lot," including me.

[...]

> Okay obviously way to specific.
>
> Finding life partners at events

I had been attending cons for 17 years when Anita Eisenstein and Steve King
brought Kelley Mathews to her first con. They had recognized that Kelley
belonged among SF fandom, though she didn't know about fandom before she
met them.

Anita also had the firm intention of introducing Kelley to me, thinking we
might get along well.

She is very smug about being right about this.

Anita was maid of honor at our wedding five years later, which also featured
two pipers and an aircar.

--
Bill Higgins | Transcript from tape recorder aboard Apollo 8
Fermilab | December 24, 1968 -- Day 4:
| Lovell: "Well, did you guys ever think that
| one Christmas you'd be orbiting the Moon? I say,
Internet: | one Christmas eve you'd be orbiting the Moon?"
hig...@fnal.gov | Anders: "Just hope we're not doing it on New Year's."

Marilee J. Layman

Oct 24, 2005, 4:30:01 PM10/24/05
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 01:06:49 GMT, Kevin Standlee <in...@sfsfc.org>
wrote:

The only one I know that specifically meets her question is that Jane
Lindskold was the conchair when Roger Zelazny was the guest and they
had a fairly long-term relationship (ended when Zelazny died, so hard
to say how long it would have been).

--
Marilee J. Layman

Paul Ciszek

Oct 24, 2005, 7:25:18 PM10/24/05

In article <Pine.SOL.4.60L.05...@fsui02.fnal.gov>,

Bill Higgins <hig...@fnal.gov> wrote:

>Anita was maid of honor at our wedding five years later, which also featured
>two pipers and an aircar.
^^^^^^

Details, please?

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."

Matthew B. Tepper

Oct 24, 2005, 9:14:59 PM10/24/05
nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:djjqgu$o94$1...@reader2.panix.com:

> In article <Pine.SOL.4.60L.05...@fsui02.fnal.gov>,
> Bill Higgins <hig...@fnal.gov> wrote:
>>
>>Anita was maid of honor at our wedding five years later, which also
>>featured two pipers and an aircar.
> ^^^^^^
>
> Details, please?

Was it full of eels?

Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!

Bill Higgins

Oct 25, 2005, 2:35:49 PM10/25/05
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Paul Ciszek wrote:

> Bill Higgins <hig...@fnal.gov> wrote:
>>
>> Anita was maid of honor at our wedding five years later, which also featured
>> two pipers and an aircar.
>

> Details, please?

It was known that Kelley and I have a great deal of interest in flying cars,
roadable aircraft, aircars, rocket belts, etc.

Rolf Wilson put the word out that he had an idea. Other friends sent him
financial contributions.

During the wedding reception, we were summoned to the alley behind the
American Legion Hall. Kelley's car, transformed, rolled to a stop before
us.

A curved tailfin sprouted from the trunk. On the roof sat a revolving set
of rotor blades, fashioned from an inverted ceiling fan and powerful
magnets. A complicated ray gun with helical chaser lights was mounted on
the hood.

It was exactly the sort of vehicle I used to doodle in my notebooks when I
was nine. Needless to say, I loved it. So did Kelley.

She climbed aboard, gathering her lacy white dress. Barry Gehm handed me
the 1950s jet-pilot helmet and oxygen mask that he and I used to wear while
playing Spacewar at Pinball Pete's. I put it on.

Gabe Helou, majestic in his kilt, played crew chief, waving two flashlights
to signal our taxiway path.

Off we drove into the night.

It was *great*.

--
| | Bill Higgins Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
\ /
- - Internet: hig...@fnal.gov
~ New! Improved! Now with THREE great neutrino flavors!