Dear rasfc

Patricia C. Wrede

Jul 20, 2006, 3:46:32 PM7/20/06
I have just returned from lunch with Beth Friedman, who handed me a letter
on the stationary of the brand-spanky-new Minneapolis Central Library. The
letter begins as follows:

"Dear Patricia C. Wrede:

I am pleased to inform you that your friends in the Usenet community
rec.arts.sf.composition have made a gift to honor you as part of our
Minnesota Author campaign to benefit the New Minneapolis Central Library.
In recognition of this gift, we will be pleased to dedicate an auditorium
chair in your name.

The New Central Library will house Pohlad Hall, a beautiful
state-of-the-art, 235-seat auditorium, which will be one of the premier
locations for author readings and other cultural events in downtown
Minneapolis. Each of the chairs in the auditorium will feature the name of
a Minnesota author and will stand as a tribute to the strong literary
community that has given so much to the library and our collection."

I am floored. Totally scunnered. I knew about the campaign, of course, but
I certainly never expected anyone to want my name on one of the chairs!
Thank you all -- you know who you are.

(Beth even got my sister there, with her digital camera, so there will
eventually be photos of some sort, somewhere.)

Thank you all, again.

Patricia C. Wrede

Jacey Bedford

Jul 20, 2006, 5:29:16 PM7/20/06
In message <12bvnc4...@corp.supernews.com>, Patricia C. Wrede
<pwred...@aol.com> writes

You deserve it! It's little enough in recognition of what you do for
_this_ community.
:-)
I look forward to the pictures. Floored _and_ scunnered - that should be
interesting.

Jacey
--
Jacey Bedford
jacey at artisan hyphen harmony dot com

Julia Jones

Jul 20, 2006, 6:25:23 PM7/20/06
In message <12bvnc4...@corp.supernews.com>, Patricia C. Wrede
<pwred...@aol.com> writes
>I am floored. Totally scunnered. I knew about the campaign, of course, but
>I certainly never expected anyone to want my name on one of the chairs!
>Thank you all -- you know who you are.

And thank you for all the help and advice you've given us over the years
- it is very much appreciated, and this was a good way to show it. :-)

(And thanks to Marilee for organising it.)
--
Julia Jones
"We are English of Borg. Your language will be assimilated."

Sea Wasp

Jul 20, 2006, 6:34:00 PM7/20/06
Patricia C. Wrede wrote:
> I have just returned from lunch with Beth Friedman, who handed me a letter
> on the stationary of the brand-spanky-new Minneapolis Central Library. The
> letter begins as follows:
>
> "Dear Patricia C. Wrede:
>
> I am pleased to inform you that your friends in the Usenet community
> rec.arts.sf.composition have made a gift to honor you as part of our
> Minnesota Author campaign to benefit the New Minneapolis Central Library.
> In recognition of this gift, we will be pleased to dedicate an auditorium
> chair in your name.
>
> The New Central Library will house Pohlad Hall, a beautiful
> state-of-the-art, 235-seat auditorium, which will be one of the premier
> locations for author readings and other cultural events in downtown
> Minneapolis. Each of the chairs in the auditorium will feature the name of
> a Minnesota author and will stand as a tribute to the strong literary
> community that has given so much to the library and our collection."
>
> I am floored. Totally scunnered. I knew about the campaign, of course, but
> I certainly never expected anyone to want my name on one of the chairs!
> Thank you all -- you know who you are.

Marilee, take your bow.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Rich Weyand

Jul 20, 2006, 7:11:41 PM7/20/06
In article <12bvnc4...@corp.supernews.com>, "Patricia C. Wrede" <pwred...@aol.com> wrote:

>I am floored. Totally scunnered.

hehehe. We gotcha.

--
Rich Weyand
Working title "Message Received" complete

Patricia C. Wrede

Jul 20, 2006, 7:20:13 PM7/20/06

"Rich Weyand" <wey...@rcn.com> wrote in message

> In article <12bvnc4...@corp.supernews.com>, "Patricia C. Wrede"
> <pwred...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>I am floored. Totally scunnered.
>
> hehehe. We gotcha.

You surely did. You folks are just...just...just something else.

And thank you again.

Patricia C. Wrede

Marilee J. Layman

Jul 20, 2006, 9:12:07 PM7/20/06
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:34:00 GMT, Sea Wasp
<seawasp...@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:

>Marilee, take your bow.

Hey, you guys gave lots of money. Organizing things like this is just
something I do well.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com/

Sea Wasp

Jul 20, 2006, 10:18:33 PM7/20/06
Marilee J. Layman wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:34:00 GMT, Sea Wasp
> <seawasp...@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
>

>>Marilee, take your bow.
>

> Hey, you guys gave lots of money. Organizing things like this is just
> something I do well.

Well, organizing is something I do really poorly, so I appreciate
people who CAN.

Elizabeth

Jul 20, 2006, 11:31:41 PM7/20/06
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:12:07 -0400, Marilee J. Layman wrote:

> Hey, you guys gave lots of money. Organizing things like this is just
> something I do well.

And we appreciate it. Good job.

--
Elizabeth. elizabeth hyphen writing at smallinfinity net
http://scriniary.smallinfinity.net

Elizabeth

Jul 20, 2006, 11:32:18 PM7/20/06
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:46:32 -0500, Patricia C. Wrede wrote:

> Thank you all, again.

Thank you for the oodles of advice!

Logan Kearsley

Jul 21, 2006, 1:11:46 AM7/21/06
"Patricia C. Wrede" <pwred...@aol.com> wrote in message

> "Rich Weyand" <wey...@rcn.com> wrote in message
> > In article <12bvnc4...@corp.supernews.com>, "Patricia C. Wrede"
> > <pwred...@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I am floored. Totally scunnered.
> >
> > hehehe. We gotcha.
>
> You surely did. You folks are just...just...just something else.

I should certainly hope so. Being the same thing all over again is for
mainstream 'non-genre' writers. :)

-l.
------------------------------------
My inbox is a sacred shrine, none shall enter that are not worthy.

Brian M. Scott

Jul 21, 2006, 1:16:23 AM7/21/06
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:46:32 -0500, "Patricia C. Wrede"
<pwred...@aol.com> wrote in
<news:12bvnc4...@corp.supernews.com> in
rec.arts.sf.composition:

[...]

> I am floored. Totally scunnered.

That *was* the idea. <g>

[...]

Brian

barnacle

Jul 21, 2006, 1:33:11 AM7/21/06
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:46:32 -0500, Patricia C. Wrede wrote:

> Thank you all, again.
>
> Patricia C. Wrede

You are most welcome; something to mark also the help and advice given by
you here.

And you thought we were vacuuming cats... :)

Neil

David Friedman

Jul 21, 2006, 1:48:11 AM7/21/06
In article <uvhjrx5gwg4c$.1hlcygbbw7kma$.d...@40tude.net>,
Elizabeth <elizabet...@smallinfinity.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:46:32 -0500, Patricia C. Wrede wrote:
>
> > Thank you all, again.
>
> Thank you for the oodles of advice!

On net, we're still in your debt,
And will be for a while yet.
I bet.

--
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/ http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/
Author of _Harald_, a fantasy without magic.

Kat R

Jul 21, 2006, 2:48:39 AM7/21/06
Patricia C. Wrede wrote:

> I am floored. Totally scunnered.

Yay! I can't wait for the pics!

--
Kat Richardson
Greywalker, coming from Roc, October 3, 2006
http://www.katrichardson.com/

Kat R

Jul 21, 2006, 2:50:09 AM7/21/06
Marilee J. Layman wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:34:00 GMT, Sea Wasp
> <seawasp...@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
>
>> Marilee, take your bow.
>
> Hey, you guys gave lots of money. Organizing things like this is just
> something I do well.

Very well, indeed. Thanks for helping us say "thanks."

Dirk van den Boom

Jul 21, 2006, 2:59:06 AM7/21/06
Patricia C. Wrede schrieb:

> I am floored. Totally scunnered. I knew about the campaign, of course, but
> I certainly never expected anyone to want my name on one of the chairs!
> Thank you all -- you know who you are.

I'm not among, but the idea is great. Unfortunately, you can't do
something like that in Germany. Libraries are all state-run and while
they take donations, they have not yet found out how to make
fund-raising attractice. Much to learn.

Gruff

Jul 21, 2006, 5:08:17 AM7/21/06
<pwred...@aol.com> wrote:

>I have just returned from lunch with Beth Friedman, who handed me a letter
>on the stationary of the brand-spanky-new Minneapolis Central Library. The
>letter begins as follows:
>
>"Dear Patricia C. Wrede:

/snip chair letter/

>I am floored. Totally scunnered. I knew about the campaign, of course, but
>I certainly never expected anyone to want my name on one of the chairs!
>Thank you all -- you know who you are.
>
>(Beth even got my sister there, with her digital camera, so there will
>eventually be photos of some sort, somewhere.)
>
>Thank you all, again.

You're a pillar in this community, you deserve it!

Charlie Allery

Jul 21, 2006, 9:46:01 AM7/21/06

"Patricia C. Wrede" <pwred...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I am floored. Totally scunnered. I knew about the campaign, of course,
> but I certainly never expected anyone to want my name on one of the
> chairs! Thank you all -- you know who you are.

Welcome, and much deserved.

Charlie

Rich Weyand

Jul 21, 2006, 12:24:11 PM7/21/06

Indeed.

Now Pat is the official "chairperson" of RASFC!

hehehe. Sorry. Couldn't help myself. :-)

Catja

Jul 21, 2006, 12:50:28 PM7/21/06

> I am floored. Totally scunnered. I knew about the campaign, of course, but
> I certainly never expected anyone to want my name on one of the chairs!
> Thank you all -- you know who you are.

Double thanks to Marilee for organising it. You're too modest.

Catja

Joann Zimmerman

Jul 21, 2006, 2:47:09 PM7/21/06
In article <uvudnd5Kz-k7Yl3Z...@wideopenwest.com>,
wey...@rcn.com says...

> Now Pat is the official "chairperson" of RASFC!

Well, of course! Don't forget, her motto is "butt in chair, fingers on
keyboard".

--
"I never understood people who don't have bookshelves."
--George Plimpton

Joann Zimmerman jz...@bellereti.com

ShellyS

Jul 21, 2006, 2:50:43 PM7/21/06
Marilee J. Layman wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:34:00 GMT, Sea Wasp
> <seawasp...@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
>
> >Marilee, take your bow.
>
> Hey, you guys gave lots of money. Organizing things like this is just
> something I do well.

Wow, that's very cool. I wish I'd known about it.

Patricia, you've been a great help to me over the last decade, here and
on AOL. You certainly deserve the honor.

--Shelly

Rich Weyand

Jul 21, 2006, 3:53:51 PM7/21/06

>Wow, that's very cool. I wish I'd known about it.

Just a thought....

Marilee had a round fifty of the most active posters from rasfc on the email
list for this. It would be impossible to contact "everyone on RASFC", as it
isn't a club with a membership list.

As someone pointed out, it's amazing that that many people could keep a
secret for so long.

The minimum contribution to name a seat in the auditorium is $500, which we
handily exceeded due to extremely high participation, even though the amount
requested per individual was not large.

But there's nothing that says that we cannot _add_ to that amount. If you
wish to participate, and add to the contribution in Patricia's name to the
library, I think Marilee can still do that.

Marilee, can people still do that? Are you willing and able to handle the
processing of extra contributions? If so, please post the go-ahead so that
people can get in touch with you re: amounts and such.

The additional funds go directly to book acquisition, so it is in a very good
cause.

Suzanne Blom

Jul 21, 2006, 4:29:27 PM7/21/06

"Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote in message
Exactly.

Patricia C. Wrede

Jul 21, 2006, 5:22:19 PM7/21/06

"Suzanne Blom" <sue...@execpc.com> wrote in message

Well, you got your money's worth. I'm still going around the house today,
occasionally remarking to the cats, "They bought me a *chair*!!"

Patricia C. Wrede

Rich Weyand

Jul 21, 2006, 6:06:11 PM7/21/06
In article <12c2hcb...@corp.supernews.com>, "Patricia C. Wrede" <pwred...@aol.com> wrote:

>Well, you got your money's worth. I'm still going around the house today,
>occasionally remarking to the cats, "They bought me a *chair*!!"

Oh, and we went back and forth in email about how we could arrange it so that
we could get pictures. We didn't want to just _hear_ about the look on your
face. We wanted to _see_ the look on your face.

The caption for that one pic should just be "Scunnered Patricia".

hehehe. Was worth it, just for the pic. Truly, truly it was. That it's for
a good cause and well deserved into the bargain are all icing on the cake.

Rich Weyand

Jul 21, 2006, 6:07:17 PM7/21/06
In article <Ju-dnZ7dVtVXrVzZ...@wideopenwest.com>, wey...@rcn.com (Rich Weyand) wrote:

>Marilee had a round fifty of the most active posters from rasfc on the email
>list for this. It would be impossible to contact "everyone on RASFC", as it
>isn't a club with a membership list.

Correction. The list was actually seventy-five of the most active posters.

Shana Rosenfeld

Jul 21, 2006, 7:28:54 PM7/21/06
Patricia C. Wrede <pwred...@aol.com> wrote:
:
: "Suzanne Blom" <sue...@execpc.com> wrote in message
:
I picture the cats looking around for the chair.

If it's not _their_ chair, why should they be impressed?

--
Shana L. Rosenfeld sh...@westnet.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/slrose/

Patricia C. Wrede

Jul 21, 2006, 10:12:59 PM7/21/06

"Shana Rosenfeld" <sh...@westnet.com> wrote in message

That *does* seem to be the attitude they're taking. I half expect them to
demand that I take them down to the library to inspect it, or better yet,
bring it *here* so they can inspect it (as they both hate car travel).

Patricia C. Wrede

lclough

Jul 21, 2006, 10:47:11 PM7/21/06
Patricia C. Wrede wrote:

Would they accept a jpeg, do you think?

Brenda

--
---------
Brenda W. Clough

Recent short fiction:
FUTURE WASHINGTON (WSFA Press, October '05)
http://www.futurewashington.com

FIRST HEROES (TOR, May '04)
http://members.aol.com/wenamun/firstheroes.html

Cally Soukup

Jul 21, 2006, 11:02:15 PM7/21/06

Very much so, to both Patricia and Marilee. Rasc wouldn't be at all the
same without Patricia, and organizing such things is very much not a
skill I have; I'm glad that Marilee has it!

--
"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death
your right to say it." -- Beatrice Hall

Cally Soukup sou...@two14.net

Carl Dershem

Jul 22, 2006, 12:07:23 AM7/22/06
"Patricia C. Wrede" <pwred...@aol.com> wrote in

> I have just returned from lunch with Beth Friedman, who handed me a
> letter on the stationary of the brand-spanky-new Minneapolis Central
> Library. The letter begins as follows:
>
> "Dear Patricia C. Wrede:
>

> I am pleased to inform you that your friends in the Usenet community
> rec.arts.sf.composition have made a gift to honor you as part of our
> Minnesota Author campaign to benefit the New Minneapolis Central
> Library. In recognition of this gift, we will be pleased to dedicate
> an auditorium chair in your name.
>
> The New Central Library will house Pohlad Hall, a beautiful
> state-of-the-art, 235-seat auditorium, which will be one of the
> premier locations for author readings and other cultural events in
> downtown Minneapolis. Each of the chairs in the auditorium will
> feature the name of a Minnesota author and will stand as a tribute to
> the strong literary community that has given so much to the library
> and our collection."

> I am floored. Totally scunnered. I knew about the campaign, of
> course, but I certainly never expected anyone to want my name on one
> of the chairs! Thank you all -- you know who you are.
>

> (Beth even got my sister there, with her digital camera, so there will
> eventually be photos of some sort, somewhere.)
>
> Thank you all, again.
>

> Patricia C. Wrede

The pictures told a great story. Glad you are!

cd
--
The difference between immorality and immortality is "T". I like Earl
Grey.

Carl Dershem

Jul 22, 2006, 12:08:26 AM7/22/06
Gruff <gruffstar_remove...@googlemail.com> wrote in

> You're a pillar in this community, you deserve it!

OK - we have a chair and a pillar. What architectural deature do we get
next?
:D

Carl Dershem

Jul 22, 2006, 12:11:40 AM7/22/06
lclough <clo...@erols.com> wrote in news:Pkgwg.177$fL3.114@trnddc07:

> Patricia C. Wrede wrote:
>
>> "Shana Rosenfeld" <sh...@westnet.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Patricia C. Wrede <pwred...@aol.com> wrote:
>>

>>>: Well, you got your money's worth. I'm still going around the house
>>>today,
>>>: occasionally remarking to the cats, "They bought me a *chair*!!"
>>>:
>>>I picture the cats looking around for the chair.
>>>
>>>If it's not _their_ chair, why should they be impressed?
>>

>> That *does* seem to be the attitude they're taking. I half expect
>> them to demand that I take them down to the library to inspect it, or
>> better yet, bring it *here* so they can inspect it (as they both hate
>> car travel).
>>
>> Patricia C. Wrede
>
> Would they accept a jpeg, do you think?

Ummm... it being difficult to take a jpeg and sit in it, making it
impossible for its owner ... err "larger tenant" to use it, I have doubts
it's be as enjoyable to them.

Cally Soukup

Jul 21, 2006, 11:21:28 PM7/21/06
Rich Weyand <wey...@rcn.com> wrote in article <KoKdndnuct5T0lzZ...@wideopenwest.com>:

> In article <12c2hcb...@corp.supernews.com>, "Patricia C. Wrede" <pwred...@aol.com> wrote:

> >Well, you got your money's worth. I'm still going around the house today,
> >occasionally remarking to the cats, "They bought me a *chair*!!"

> Oh, and we went back and forth in email about how we could arrange it so that
> we could get pictures. We didn't want to just _hear_ about the look on your
> face. We wanted to _see_ the look on your face.

> The caption for that one pic should just be "Scunnered Patricia".

> hehehe. Was worth it, just for the pic. Truly, truly it was. That it's for
> a good cause and well deserved into the bargain are all icing on the cake.

I worked a 18 hour day on Monday, a 32 hour day on Tuesday, an 11 hour
day on Thursday, and a four hour day today, and am thus extremely
behind on reading rasc. Where do I find the pictures? There aren't any
URLs in this thread that I see....

Cyli

Jul 22, 2006, 1:09:35 AM7/22/06
<mar...@mjlayman.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:34:00 GMT, Sea Wasp
><seawasp...@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
>
>>Marilee, take your bow.
>
>Hey, you guys gave lots of money. Organizing things like this is just
>something I do well.

But you also thought of it. Not that I could organize it, either, but
I'd not have realized what a great idea it was until it was presented
full blown.
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Brian M. Scott

Jul 22, 2006, 1:15:35 AM7/22/06
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 03:21:28 +0000 (UTC), Cally Soukup
<sou...@pobox.com> wrote in
<news:e9s5jo$icp$2...@wheel2.two14.net> in
rec.arts.sf.composition:

[...]

> I worked a 18 hour day on Monday, a 32 hour day on
> Tuesday, an 11 hour day on Thursday, and a four hour day
> today, and am thus extremely behind on reading rasc.
> Where do I find the pictures? There aren't any URLs in
> this thread that I see....

No, it's in the 'Pat's chair' thread:

<http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=64drvfdo.2my0cvdo&Uy=-m86eyn>

Brian

ShellyS

Jul 22, 2006, 1:28:07 AM7/22/06
Rich Weyand wrote:
> In article <1153507843.7...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, "ShellyS" <shel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Wow, that's very cool. I wish I'd known about it.
>
> Just a thought....
>
> Marilee had a round fifty of the most active posters from rasfc on the email
> list for this. It would be impossible to contact "everyone on RASFC", as it
> isn't a club with a membership list.

Nor did I think it was. I merely was expressing my wish to have been
able to have contributed, given that I've been conversing with Patricia
(she even conducted mini-clinics for me on AOL's writers boards and I
cherish those printouts, among others) for 10 years plus, albeit only
the last 2 or 3 years here.

> As someone pointed out, it's amazing that that many people could keep a
> secret for so long.

I can imagine. :)

> The minimum contribution to name a seat in the auditorium is $500, which we
> handily exceeded due to extremely high participation, even though the amount
> requested per individual was not large.
>
> But there's nothing that says that we cannot _add_ to that amount. If you
> wish to participate, and add to the contribution in Patricia's name to the
> library, I think Marilee can still do that.
>
> Marilee, can people still do that? Are you willing and able to handle the
> processing of extra contributions? If so, please post the go-ahead so that
> people can get in touch with you re: amounts and such.
>
> The additional funds go directly to book acquisition, so it is in a very good
> cause.

That would certainly be cool. As a librarian, I can very much
appreciate the cause. :)

--Shelly

barnacle

Jul 22, 2006, 1:44:58 AM7/22/06
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:22:19 -0500, Patricia C. Wrede wrote:

> Well, you got your money's worth. I'm still going around the house today,
> occasionally remarking to the cats, "They bought me a *chair*!!"

"And I have to stop typing to go and sit in it..."

Evil, we are, evil...

Neil :)

David Friedman

Jul 22, 2006, 2:54:02 AM7/22/06
In article <Xns9807D79DCC3...@70.169.32.36>,
Carl Dershem <der...@cox.net> wrote:

Perhaps we could start with a jpeg and construct from that a cat sized
copy for them?

--
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/ http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/
Author of _Harald_, a fantasy without magic.
Published by Baen, in bookstores now

Lucy Kemnitzer

Jul 22, 2006, 12:07:00 PM7/22/06

Our libraries are public, too, but they're generally underfunded, and
the clever ones always have some kind of fundraising going on.

Lucy Kemnitzer, still
--The Donor:
the harm reduction vampire story, now complete:
http://www.baymoon.com/~ritaxis/donor/donorweb/donorindex

Helen Hall

Jul 22, 2006, 9:41:58 AM7/22/06
In message <cmc3c2trjh6n6masq...@4ax.com>, Cyli
<cyl...@com.invalid> writes

>On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:12:07 -0400, Marilee J. Layman
><mar...@mjlayman.com> wrote:
>>
>>Hey, you guys gave lots of money. Organizing things like this is just
>>something I do well.
>
>But you also thought of it. Not that I could organize it, either, but
>I'd not have realized what a great idea it was until it was presented
>full blown.

Exactly! Marilee saw the opportunity, realised that it could be done
*and* set about making a plan and carrying it through to successful
completion.

And it was such a good idea. We get to thank Patricia; the people who
use the library get more books, all in one fell swoop!

Helen
--
Helen, Gwynedd, Wales *** http://www.baradel.demon.co.uk

Kat R

Jul 22, 2006, 8:11:40 PM7/22/06
Carl Dershem wrote:
> Gruff <gruffstar_remove...@googlemail.com> wrote in
>
>> You're a pillar in this community, you deserve it!
>
> OK - we have a chair and a pillar. What architectural deature do we get
> next?
> :D
>
> cd

A finial and a capital. (It's possible that this thread may run from
pillar to post.)

--
Kat Richardson
Greywalker, coming from Roc, October 3, 2006
http://www.katrichardson.com/

Alma Hromic Deckert

Jul 22, 2006, 8:40:35 PM7/22/06
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:11:40 -0700, Kat R <null....@lycos.com>
wrote:

>Carl Dershem wrote:
>> Gruff <gruffstar_remove...@googlemail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> You're a pillar in this community, you deserve it!
>>
>> OK - we have a chair and a pillar. What architectural deature do we get
>> next?
>> :D
>>
>> cd
>
>A finial and a capital. (It's possible that this thread may run from
>pillar to post.)

Well, we can take steps for that. Apparently stuff like this HAS been
known to drive people up the wall, although I'm not sure if the
foundation of that argument is all it's cracked up to be, or how much
of it is to be belieaved...

A. (if this gets out of hand, as usual, can we call it an escalator
thread...?)

Patricia C. Wrede

Jul 23, 2006, 4:26:32 PM7/23/06

"barnacle" <barnacle@nailed_barnacle.com> wrote in message

That's what laptops are for. :)

Patricia C. Wrede

Marilee J. Layman

Jul 24, 2006, 9:08:30 PM7/24/06
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:50:09 -0700, Kat R <null....@lycos.com>
wrote:

>Marilee J. Layman wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:34:00 GMT, Sea Wasp
>> <seawasp...@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Marilee, take your bow.
>>

>> Hey, you guys gave lots of money. Organizing things like this is just
>> something I do well.
>

>Very well, indeed. Thanks for helping us say "thanks."

I'd been noticing how much so many of you really appreciated what Pat
wrote about writing and how much of her advice was useful (I admit,
when her posts get long, I usually just click Next, I don't want to
write), so when I saw the notice of the chair on a mnstf list, I knew
it would be the perfect way for you guys to thank her.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com/
"a lengthy 'signature' consisting of the contributor's
name, net address, workplace, some tacky pseudo-graphics
made up from keyboard characters, extended quotations
from prose or verse the writer happens to like, etc."
-- Dave Langford, 1994

Marilee J. Layman

Jul 24, 2006, 9:11:22 PM7/24/06
On 21 Jul 2006 11:50:43 -0700, "ShellyS" <shel...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Marilee J. Layman wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:34:00 GMT, Sea Wasp
>> <seawasp...@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Marilee, take your bow.
>>
>> Hey, you guys gave lots of money. Organizing things like this is just
>> something I do well.
>
>Wow, that's very cool. I wish I'd known about it.

I spent parts of four days pulling names from the group (via Agent)
and then wrote to all those folk. Those that answered back went on a
list for discussion. It was some days into discussion that I saw more
people post -- you, Ric, Shana, etc. -- and I unilaterally decided
that it would be too confusing to add more people in because I
expected us to be finished sooner than we were.

>Patricia, you've been a great help to me over the last decade, here and
>on AOL. You certainly deserve the honor.
>
>--Shelly

Marilee J. Layman

Jul 24, 2006, 9:13:01 PM7/24/06
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:53:51 GMT, wey...@rcn.com (Rich Weyand) wrote:

>In article <1153507843.7...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, "ShellyS" <shel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Wow, that's very cool. I wish I'd known about it.
>
>Just a thought....
>
>Marilee had a round fifty of the most active posters from rasfc on the email
>list for this. It would be impossible to contact "everyone on RASFC", as it
>isn't a club with a membership list.

The original list when I proposed it to the group was about 150.

>As someone pointed out, it's amazing that that many people could keep a
>secret for so long.
>
>The minimum contribution to name a seat in the auditorium is $500, which we
>handily exceeded due to extremely high participation, even though the amount
>requested per individual was not large.
>
>But there's nothing that says that we cannot _add_ to that amount. If you
>wish to participate, and add to the contribution in Patricia's name to the
>library, I think Marilee can still do that.
>
>Marilee, can people still do that? Are you willing and able to handle the
>processing of extra contributions? If so, please post the go-ahead so that
>people can get in touch with you re: amounts and such.

I dunno, I'll email the person in charge and ask.

Mauro

Jul 24, 2006, 11:44:20 PM7/24/06

"Jacey Bedford" <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In message <12bvnc4...@corp.supernews.com>, Patricia C. Wrede
> <pwred...@aol.com> writes

> >I have just returned from lunch with Beth Friedman, who handed me a
letter
> >on the stationary of the brand-spanky-new Minneapolis Central Library.
The
> >letter begins as follows:
> >
> >"Dear Patricia C. Wrede:
> >
> >I am pleased to inform you that your friends in the Usenet community
> >rec.arts.sf.composition have made a gift to honor you as part of our
> >Minnesota Author campaign to benefit the New Minneapolis Central Library.
> >In recognition of this gift, we will be pleased to dedicate an auditorium
> >chair in your name.
> >
> >The New Central Library will house Pohlad Hall, a beautiful
> >state-of-the-art, 235-seat auditorium, which will be one of the premier
> >locations for author readings and other cultural events in downtown
> >Minneapolis. Each of the chairs in the auditorium will feature the name
of
> >a Minnesota author and will stand as a tribute to the strong literary
> >community that has given so much to the library and our collection."
> >
> >I am floored. Totally scunnered. I knew about the campaign, of course,
but
> >I certainly never expected anyone to want my name on one of the chairs!
> >Thank you all -- you know who you are.
> >
> >(Beth even got my sister there, with her digital camera, so there will
> >eventually be photos of some sort, somewhere.)
> >
> >Thank you all, again.
>
> You deserve it! It's little enough in recognition of what you do for
> _this_ community.
> :-)

As a person who mostly lurks, I didn't get the opportunity to participate in
this. However, I strongly second Jacey. You deserve the recognition. I
want to take this opportunity to personally thank you for the suggestions
and ideas I've picked up from your responses to others. You have helped my
writing more than you will probably ever know.

David Goldfarb

Jul 25, 2006, 5:31:53 AM7/25/06
In article <hlrac2he2v1thh21o...@4ax.com>,

Marilee J. Layman <mar...@mjlayman.com> wrote:
>I'd been noticing how much so many of you really appreciated what Pat
>wrote about writing and how much of her advice was useful (I admit,
>when her posts get long, I usually just click Next, I don't want to
>write)

For my part, I have little or no desire to write either(*) but I find
Pat's long posts fascinating. There's a quotation on Making Light:

"I see now that keen interest can illuminate anything, and that
anything, moreover, has something worth illuminating in it, and that
without that interest gates carved by Benvenuto Cellini from two
diamonds would merely look chilly." -- Lord Dunsany

Pat has keen interest in the mechanics of writing, and she illuminates
them beautifully.

(*) I occasionally toy with the idea of trying to do NaNoWriMo, just
to see if I could. Then I divide the number of words involved by
the number of days and my typing speed, see how many hours a day
I'd have to commit, and give up.
--
David Goldfarb |"Special agents have been employed to slow the
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | film down and grind it to a screeching halt."
| "Rocket Attack USA"

Patricia C. Wrede

Jul 25, 2006, 11:47:22 AM7/25/06

"Mauro" <Spam...@spamblock.com> wrote in message

> As a person who mostly lurks, I didn't get the opportunity to participate
> in
> this. However, I strongly second Jacey. You deserve the recognition. I
> want to take this opportunity to personally thank you for the suggestions
> and ideas I've picked up from your responses to others. You have helped
> my
> writing more than you will probably ever know.

Thank you.

All.

Again.

Patricia C. Wrede

Marilee J. Layman

Jul 28, 2006, 6:12:39 PM7/28/06
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:13:01 -0400, Marilee J. Layman
<mar...@mjlayman.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:53:51 GMT, wey...@rcn.com (Rich Weyand) wrote:

>>Marilee, can people still do that? Are you willing and able to handle the
>>processing of extra contributions? If so, please post the go-ahead so that
>>people can get in touch with you re: amounts and such.
>
>I dunno, I'll email the person in charge and ask.

And the answer came today:

------------
Good morning,
Thank you for sending this. Of course we can accept additional
donations for Patricia. A single check is not necessary. As long as
the author's name is on the check I'll know where to attribute it. You
can also pass along this form for donors to include with their payment
or to pay by credit card. Thank you!
-------------

They don't take PayPal, so if you can't use a credit card or check,
let me know and we'll work something out.

The form she referenced is a .doc and I've uploaded it here:

http://www.mjlayman.com/Author Gift Form.doc

There really are spaces between those words, highlight to the end.
When I put all of that in my browser, I get the "what do you want to
open it with" form. People who have MS Word probably go directly
there.

I don't know why a single page with a little art is 5M.

VeeJay

Jul 28, 2006, 8:55:15 PM7/28/06

Patricia C. Wrede wrote:
> I have just returned from lunch with Beth Friedman, who handed me a letter
> on the stationary of the brand-spanky-new Minneapolis Central Library.
..[..]..

> I am floored. Totally scunnered. I knew about the campaign, of course, but
> I certainly never expected anyone to want my name on one of the chairs!
> Thank you all -- you know who you are.
>
> (Beth even got my sister there, with her digital camera, so there will
> eventually be photos of some sort, somewhere.)
>
> Thank you all, again.
>
> Patricia C. Wrede

PCW:
You certainly had it coming. You've helped me out very greatly, at
least, and I've only been mucking about here for a scant month or
so..(haven't been haunting here too much of late, due to RL stuffums
and work on WIP)...It comes very well deserved. And I had a gander or
two at the pics as well...now I can place a face with the spirit and
the *arrghs* (LOL)

Van Swaney

ShellyS

Jul 29, 2006, 2:51:51 PM7/29/06
Marilee J. Layman wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:13:01 -0400, Marilee J. Layman
> <mar...@mjlayman.com> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:53:51 GMT, wey...@rcn.com (Rich Weyand) wrote:
>
> >>Marilee, can people still do that? Are you willing and able to handle the
> >>processing of extra contributions? If so, please post the go-ahead so that
> >>people can get in touch with you re: amounts and such.
> >
> >I dunno, I'll email the person in charge and ask.
> >
> And the answer came today:
>
> ------------
> Good morning,
> Thank you for sending this. Of course we can accept additional
> donations for Patricia. A single check is not necessary. As long as
> the author's name is on the check I'll know where to attribute it. You
> can also pass along this form for donors to include with their payment
> or to pay by credit card. Thank you!
>
> They don't take PayPal, so if you can't use a credit card or check,
> let me know and we'll work something out.
>
> The form she referenced is a .doc and I've uploaded it here:
>
> http://www.mjlayman.com/Author Gift Form.doc

(snip)

Thanks for the info. :)

--Shelly