Who uses 'semolina'?

Tina Hall

Oct 26, 2006, 7:47:00 AM10/26/06
My characters need some mash/pulp food, and I thought (German) "Griess"
would be nice. (Actually I also wondered that I should buy some and try to
cook it; I remember it from when I was a kid and at least the memory says
it's nice. But never mind.)

The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard that
word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word that is
used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter, please tell
me.)

(I also wonder whether it's something that lasts long, as long as kept
dry, and can be cooked by simply adding water and perhaps sugar and a
little salt. As you might guess - see above - I never made any.)

Thanks.

Tina
--
WIP: Some Fantasy thing, untitled so far.
WISuspension: Seasons & Elements trilogy, a serial in three parts.

John W. Kennedy

Oct 26, 2006, 7:53:49 PM10/26/06
Tina Hall wrote:
> My characters need some mash/pulp food, and I thought (German) "Griess"
> would be nice. (Actually I also wondered that I should buy some and try to
> cook it; I remember it from when I was a kid and at least the memory says
> it's nice. But never mind.)
>
> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard that
> word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word that is
> used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter, please tell
> me.)

It's a kind of wheat, and a kind of "pudding" (in the British sense of
the word). I remember a children's story about a country called
"Semolina" that ended something like this (quoting from a nearly
50-year-old memory):

"And they all lived happily ever after, and nothing exciting ever
happened in the Land of Semolina again, so much so that, many years
later, when someone invented the most flavorless, dull, boring pudding
ever, he decided to call it 'Semolina Pudding'".

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

Will in New Haven

Oct 26, 2006, 8:01:29 PM10/26/06

John W. Kennedy wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:
> > My characters need some mash/pulp food, and I thought (German) "Griess"
> > would be nice. (Actually I also wondered that I should buy some and try to
> > cook it; I remember it from when I was a kid and at least the memory says
> > it's nice. But never mind.)
> >
> > The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard that
> > word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word that is
> > used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter, please tell
> > me.)
>
> It's a kind of wheat, and a kind of "pudding" (in the British sense of
> the word). I remember a children's story about a country called
> "Semolina" that ended something like this (quoting from a nearly
> 50-year-old memory):
>
> "And they all lived happily ever after, and nothing exciting ever
> happened in the Land of Semolina again, so much so that, many years
> later, when someone invented the most flavorless, dull, boring pudding
> ever, he decided to call it 'Semolina Pudding'".

There is another product called Semolina. "Hard" Semolina flour is
commonly used to make a variety of pastas. A small amount added to the
dough gives bread a nice crust. From what Tina said, I am sure that she
was asking about the pudding though.

Will in New Haven

--

"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you
give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in

Brian M. Scott

Oct 26, 2006, 8:12:48 PM10/26/06
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:53:49 -0400, "John W. Kennedy"
<jwk...@attglobal.net> wrote in
<news:hUb0h.92$F62...@newsfe09.lga> in
rec.arts.sf.composition:

> Tina Hall wrote:

>> My characters need some mash/pulp food, and I thought

>> (German) "Griess" would be nice. [...]

>> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. [...]

> It's a kind of wheat, and a kind of "pudding" (in the
> British sense of the word). I remember a children's
> story about a country called "Semolina" that ended
> something like this (quoting from a nearly 50-year-old
> memory):

<Reisgriess> is ground rice, and <Griess> also means
'gravel; grit' (and is cognate with that last), so I suspect
that this is 'semolina' in the sense 'coarsely ground grain,
usually wheat, with particles mostly between 0.25 and 0.75
mm in diameter'.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semolina>

[...]

Brian

S. Palmer

Oct 26, 2006, 9:38:49 PM10/26/06
Tina Hall wrote:
> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard that
> word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word that is
> used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter, please tell
> me.)

I had a turkey sandwich on semolina bread this very afternoon, at a
chain restaurant (Panera) where it is a standard menu choice. It's
certainly a common term here where I am (New England). I've pretty much
only seen it applied to bread, and flour out of which bread is made.
Though I'm sure there are other things that could be made from it, I am
not aware of them.

HTH,

-Suzanne

--
http://www.zanzjan.net/
See my story "Spheres" out now in Interzone 207

Jacey Bedford

Oct 26, 2006, 9:49:46 PM10/26/06
In message <45416329...@speakeasy.net>, S. Palmer
<cic...@speakeasy.net> writes

>Tina Hall wrote:
>> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard that
>> word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word that is
>> used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter, please tell
>> me.)
>
>I had a turkey sandwich on semolina bread this very afternoon, at a
>chain restaurant (Panera) where it is a standard menu choice. It's
>certainly a common term here where I am (New England). I've pretty much
>only seen it applied to bread, and flour out of which bread is made.
>Though I'm sure there are other things that could be made from it, I am
>not aware of them.

We used to have semolina at school as a milk pudding roughly equivalent
to rice pudding and tapioca pudding. I could never remember which way
round they were but I think it was the semolina which was like
sweetended warm wallpaper paste and the tapioca that was like sweetened
milky frogspawn.

Ah, happy days.

Jacey
--
Jacey Bedford
jacey at artisan hyphen harmony dot com

Elf M. Sternberg

Oct 26, 2006, 11:55:18 PM10/26/06
Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard that
> word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word that is
> used? Or is there a more common alternative?

Semolina is just coarsely ground wheat. It's a reasonably
common word in the United States, at least among people who cook: it
is one of the principle ingredient in home-made pasta, is often used
on cooking stones to keep the pizza dough from sticking, and is the
only ingredient in the popular breakfast food "Cream of Wheat." I've
also used durum semolina as a thickener for stews and chilis.

Elf

Tina Hall

Oct 27, 2006, 1:45:00 AM10/27/06
S. Palmer <cic...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:

>> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard
>> that word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word
>> that is used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter,
>> please tell me.)

> I had a turkey sandwich on semolina bread this very afternoon, at a
> chain restaurant (Panera) where it is a standard menu choice. It's
> certainly a common term here where I am (New England). I've pretty much
> only seen it applied to bread, and flour out of which bread is made.
> Though I'm sure there are other things that could be made from it, I am
> not aware of them.

Here I only know it as grains (don't even know what plant it comes from,
if any, or how it gets to be grains), that are somehow cooked to produce
something akin to porridge, just finer. If you fill it in a bowl and let
it cool, the exposed surface hardens (still well eatable), but the stuff
below remains pulpy. Bread seems a completely strange idea.

> HTH,

Yes, thanks. Now I know that the word is actually in use somewhere.

Kat R

Oct 27, 2006, 2:02:05 AM10/27/06
Tina Hall wrote:
> My characters need some mash/pulp food, and I thought (German) "Griess"
> would be nice. (Actually I also wondered that I should buy some and try to
> cook it; I remember it from when I was a kid and at least the memory says
> it's nice. But never mind.)
>
> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard that
> word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word that is
> used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter, please tell
> me.)
>
> (I also wonder whether it's something that lasts long, as long as kept
> dry, and can be cooked by simply adding water and perhaps sugar and a
> little salt. As you might guess - see above - I never made any.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tina

I think what most people are familiar with in my area is
"farina"--common trade name is Cream of Wheat. (Raw wheat paste, at
heart, but food grade.)

As long as it's kept dry it lasts a long time and you can cook it
quickly with just hot water. You may add butter or milk or sugar as you
prefer, either while cooking or after. It's extremely bland.

--
Kat Richardson
Greywalker (Roc, 2006)

Cyli

Oct 27, 2006, 2:30:49 AM10/27/06
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:49:46 +0100, Jacey Bedford
<look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>I could never remember which way
>round they were but I think it was the semolina which was like
>sweetended warm wallpaper paste and the tapioca that was like sweetened
>milky frogspawn.

You've remembered them properly. I love the frog spawn. Just can't
think too much about how it looks.
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Cyli

Oct 27, 2006, 2:33:41 AM10/27/06

I just had a thought and looked at my seldom used big jar of couscous.
It's semolina wheat. Used the same way rice or potatoes would be if
being served as part of a mail meal.

Tina Hall

Oct 27, 2006, 4:57:00 AM10/27/06
Kat R <null....@lycos.comPOST> wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:

>> My characters need some mash/pulp food, and I thought (German)

>> "Griess" would be nice. [...]

>> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard
>> that word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word
>> that is used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter,
>> please tell me.)
>>
>> (I also wonder whether it's something that lasts long, as long as kept
>> dry, and can be cooked by simply adding water and perhaps sugar and a
>> little salt. As you might guess - see above - I never made any.)

> I think what most people are familiar with in my area is

> "farina"--common trade name is Cream of Wheat. (Raw wheat paste, at
> heart, but food grade.)

About that my dictionary only has:

"farinaceous" - containing or resembling starch (origin: Latin "farina"
'flour').

The problem with words for something I only know in German is finding the
right one in English. With things like this, the ones in the dictionary
are suspect because they're completely unfamiliar.

Do you think using 'farina' would be better than 'semolina' for something
that's somehow boiled with water? (And whatever else - as soon as I've got
some money I'll by some "Griess" to make pulp with; it might say what to
do on the box.)

> As long as it's kept dry it lasts a long time and you can cook it
> quickly with just hot water.

Thanks. That's ideal for my characters.

> You may add butter or milk or sugar as you prefer, either while cooking
> or after. It's extremely bland.

Except for the bland it sounds just like the stuff my grandmother made.

For comparison, would you say that porridge is bland, too?

--
Tina - Any missing 'a's are held prisoner by my keybord.

WIP: Some Fantasy thing, untitled so far.

WISuspension: Seasons & Elements trilogy | Magic Earth series

Tux Wonder-Dog

Oct 27, 2006, 6:52:49 AM10/27/06
Tina Hall wrote:

> S. Palmer <cic...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Tina Hall wrote:
>
>>> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard
>>> that word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word
>>> that is used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter,
>>> please tell me.)
>
>> I had a turkey sandwich on semolina bread this very afternoon, at a
>> chain restaurant (Panera) where it is a standard menu choice. It's
>> certainly a common term here where I am (New England). I've pretty much
>> only seen it applied to bread, and flour out of which bread is made.
>> Though I'm sure there are other things that could be made from it, I am
>> not aware of them.
>
> Here I only know it as grains (don't even know what plant it comes from,
> if any, or how it gets to be grains), that are somehow cooked to produce
> something akin to porridge, just finer. If you fill it in a bowl and let
> it cool, the exposed surface hardens (still well eatable), but the stuff
> below remains pulpy. Bread seems a completely strange idea.

As far as I know - which isn't that far - it's a form of processed wheat. A
grinding that takes it half-way to flour, so it's not as processed as
flour, but not as unprocessed as kibbled wheat or cracked wheat.

Any further infomration would be gratefully accepted.

Wesley Parish

--
"Good, late in to more rewarding well."  "Well, you tonight.  And I was
lookintelligent woman of Ming home.  I trust you with a tender silence."  I

Tux Wonder-Dog

Oct 27, 2006, 7:29:01 AM10/27/06
Tina Hall wrote:

> Kat R <null....@lycos.comPOST> wrote:
>> Tina Hall wrote:

<snip>

>> As long as it's kept dry it lasts a long time and you can cook it
>> quickly with just hot water.
>
> Thanks. That's ideal for my characters.
>
>> You may add butter or milk or sugar as you prefer, either while cooking
>> or after. It's extremely bland.
>
> Except for the bland it sounds just like the stuff my grandmother made.
>
> For comparison, would you say that porridge is bland, too?

Semolina's got a different sort of blandness to oatmeal porridge - I assume
that's what you're referring to when you use the word "porridge". (By
"bland" I mean no strong flavours, but you can't mistake the flavour or the
texture of semolina for oatmeal or vice versa. Semolina's got a starchy
sweetness to it that's pleasant, while oatmeal is nowhere near as starchy,
or as sweet.)

Wesley Parish

Tux Wonder-Dog

Oct 27, 2006, 7:31:17 AM10/27/06
Cyli wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:55:18 -0700, "Elf M. Sternberg"
> <e...@drizzle.com> wrote:
>
>>Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:
>>
>>> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard that
>>> word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word that is
>>> used? Or is there a more common alternative?
>>
>> Semolina is just coarsely ground wheat. It's a reasonably
>>common word in the United States, at least among people who cook: it
>>is one of the principle ingredient in home-made pasta, is often used
>>on cooking stones to keep the pizza dough from sticking, and is the
>>only ingredient in the popular breakfast food "Cream of Wheat." I've
>>also used durum semolina as a thickener for stews and chilis.
>>

> I just had a thought and looked at my seldom used big jar of couscous.
> It's semolina wheat. Used the same way rice or potatoes would be if
> being served as part of a mail meal.

"mail meal" for cast iron stomachs, I presume? ;)

nyra

Oct 27, 2006, 8:45:20 AM10/27/06
Cyli schrieb:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:55:18 -0700, "Elf M. Sternberg"
> <e...@drizzle.com> wrote:
>
> >Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:
> >
> >> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard that
> >> word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word that is
> >> used? Or is there a more common alternative?
> >
> > Semolina is just coarsely ground wheat. It's a reasonably
> >common word in the United States, at least among people who cook: it
> >is one of the principle ingredient in home-made pasta, is often used
> >on cooking stones to keep the pizza dough from sticking, and is the
> >only ingredient in the popular breakfast food "Cream of Wheat." I've
> >also used durum semolina as a thickener for stews and chilis.
> >

> I just had a thought and looked at my seldom used big jar of couscous.
> It's semolina wheat.

In the use i'm aware of, 'semolina' is a degree to which grain
(usually wheat) is ground; 'semolina of wheat' or 'wheat semolina'
might be more accurate.

German 'Grieß' is semolina-degree soft or hard wheat (proper pasta is
made of durum semolina) or maize - the latter is also called
'polenta'. It has the same root as english 'grit', just as 'Grütze',
which is used for an even more roughly ground grain - sometimes wheat,
but more commonly barley, rye, oats or (not strictly a grain)
buckwheat.

--
Se on Jumalan sana, sanoi mies,
kun akkansa raamatulla löi.

Denni

Oct 27, 2006, 10:59:00 AM10/27/06

> The problem with words for something I only know in German is finding the
> right one in English. With things like this, the ones in the dictionary
> are suspect because they're completely unfamiliar.
>
> Do you think using 'farina' would be better than 'semolina' for something
> that's somehow boiled with water? (And whatever else - as soon as I've got
> some money I'll by some "Griess" to make pulp with; it might say what to
> do on the box.)

Semolina is the correct translation for Grießpudding, usually cooked
with milk and sugar. I have eaten both, in Germany and the UK. The
above is regarded as the correct spelling, but most people write
'Griess' (double s) ;)

Some recipes use water instead of milk and add lemon juice and -zest

As an ingredient, semolina is only bland when not used right. It is the
base for a very delicious and easy lemon cake, Indian halva and I have
been known to pep up the pudding with rose water and a touch of green
cardamom (like firni, but made with semolina instead of ground rice).

My mother used Grieß to line her baking trays: butter and powder with
semolina. It works better than flour for making cakes and it tastes
better, too.

D Marshall

Oct 27, 2006, 11:40:26 AM10/27/06
In article <fYmYHN+6...@artifact.demon.co.uk>,
look...@nospam.invalid says...

> In message <45416329...@speakeasy.net>, S. Palmer
> <cic...@speakeasy.net> writes
> >Tina Hall wrote:
> >> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard that
> >> word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word that is
> >> used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter, please tell
> >> me.)
> >
> >I had a turkey sandwich on semolina bread this very afternoon, at a
> >chain restaurant (Panera) where it is a standard menu choice. It's
> >certainly a common term here where I am (New England). I've pretty much
> >only seen it applied to bread, and flour out of which bread is made.
> >Though I'm sure there are other things that could be made from it, I am
> >not aware of them.
>
> We used to have semolina at school as a milk pudding roughly equivalent
> to rice pudding and tapioca pudding. I could never remember which way
> round they were but I think it was the semolina which was like
> sweetended warm wallpaper paste and the tapioca that was like sweetened
> milky frogspawn.
>
> Ah, happy days.
>
> Jacey

Yup that's it. Mind you, I like milk puddings but mine taste nicer than
school ones.

You can also use semolina in the pastry case of a tart (I use it in
apple) to help soak up the liquid and stop the pastry going soggy.

--
Diem Marshall

Kat R

Oct 27, 2006, 1:27:38 PM10/27/06
Tina Hall wrote:
> Kat R <null....@lycos.comPOST> wrote:
>> Tina Hall wrote:
>
>>> My characters need some mash/pulp food, and I thought (German)
>>> "Griess" would be nice. [...]
>>>
>>> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard
>>> that word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word
>>> that is used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter,
>>> please tell me.)

Semolina is a variety of wheat that makes a very fine and sticky paste
when ground--it's really common for use in good quality pasta/noodles.
I suppose you could use semolina wheat for the same purpose but I think
the term "farina" is more common to the US, since it basically means
"wheat paste" or very finely ground wheat powder and no one cares which
variety of wheat is used to make it.

>>> (I also wonder whether it's something that lasts long, as long as kept
>>> dry, and can be cooked by simply adding water and perhaps sugar and a
>>> little salt. As you might guess - see above - I never made any.)
>
>> I think what most people are familiar with in my area is
>> "farina"--common trade name is Cream of Wheat. (Raw wheat paste, at
>> heart, but food grade.)
>
> About that my dictionary only has:
>
> "farinaceous" - containing or resembling starch (origin: Latin "farina"
> 'flour').

That makes sense. The American term must have evolved from the idea of
wheat flour of a certain grade. It's not as fine as bread flour, more
chunky, like you'd get from grinding by hand or with a very course mill.

> The problem with words for something I only know in German is finding the
> right one in English. With things like this, the ones in the dictionary
> are suspect because they're completely unfamiliar.
>
> Do you think using 'farina' would be better than 'semolina' for something
> that's somehow boiled with water? (And whatever else - as soon as I've got
> some money I'll by some "Griess" to make pulp with; it might say what to
> do on the box.)

I think if your audience is mostly US "farina" will make perfect sense
to them. I'm not sure about the UK audience, though.

>> As long as it's kept dry it lasts a long time and you can cook it
>> quickly with just hot water.
>
> Thanks. That's ideal for my characters.
>
>> You may add butter or milk or sugar as you prefer, either while cooking
>> or after. It's extremely bland.
>
> Except for the bland it sounds just like the stuff my grandmother made.
>
> For comparison, would you say that porridge is bland, too?

"Cream of Wheat" is a little more bland than porridge made from oats and
a little more paste-like in consistency. Less chunky, very pale in
color, and tastes a bit like wet matzoh/saltines until you put some kind
of flavoring in it. You really can use anything from salty/savory to
sweet because the flavor of the farina is very neutral.

Hope that helps.

Joann Zimmerman

Oct 27, 2006, 2:08:54 PM10/27/06
In article <AeedndZCup0W3N_Y...@comcast.com>,
null....@lycos.com says...

> "Cream of Wheat" is a little more bland than porridge made from oats and
> a little more paste-like in consistency. Less chunky, very pale in
> color, and tastes a bit like wet matzoh/saltines until you put some kind
> of flavoring in it. You really can use anything from salty/savory to
> sweet because the flavor of the farina is very neutral.

If there is anything closer in taste *and* texture to wet library paste
than cream of wheat, I never want to meet it.

Kat, your use of the word "little" was sadly misjudged. IMHO.

--
"I never understood people who don't have bookshelves."
--George Plimpton

Joann Zimmerman jz...@bellereti.com

Ed Schoenfeld

Oct 27, 2006, 5:31:44 PM10/27/06

Joann Zimmerman wrote:
> In article <AeedndZCup0W3N_Y...@comcast.com>,
> null....@lycos.com says...
>
> > "Cream of Wheat" is a little more bland than porridge made from oats and
> > a little more paste-like in consistency. Less chunky, very pale in
> > color, and tastes a bit like wet matzoh/saltines until you put some kind
> > of flavoring in it. You really can use anything from salty/savory to
> > sweet because the flavor of the farina is very neutral.
>
> If there is anything closer in taste *and* texture to wet library paste
> than cream of wheat, I never want to meet it.
>
> Kat, your use of the word "little" was sadly misjudged. IMHO.

I have always wondered if the difference in opinion on the taste of
what my family calls Griessbrei (sorry, no 'esszet' on this keyboard)
has to do with whether it was cooked in milk or in water. We used to
cook it with whole milk and flavor with vanilla or sugared cinnamon.
Eating it is one of my fondest childhood memories. I (later) tasted a
version cooked in water and spat it out as inedible.

Cream of Wheat may be a brand name for a type of farina, but its not
what my family cooked -- we bought farina as a generic product, you can
still get boxes from Pillsbury or some other large grain producer in
reasonably well stocked grocery stores. We also used it to make
dumplings for soup (Griessknoedel, where 'oe' is an umlaut).

I'm not surprised that the version cooked with water tastes like
library paste. Water+flour **IS** library paste. I'm reminded of a
local comedienne I heard in Minneapolis:

"You add water to flour and make glue. Then you add sugar and bake a
cake.
. . .

Where did the glue go?"

Ed

Marilee J. Layman

Oct 27, 2006, 5:48:05 PM10/27/06
On 26 Oct 2006 17:01:29 -0700, "Will in New Haven"
<bill....@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:

>John W. Kennedy wrote:
>> Tina Hall wrote:
>> > My characters need some mash/pulp food, and I thought (German) "Griess"
>> > would be nice. (Actually I also wondered that I should buy some and try to
>> > cook it; I remember it from when I was a kid and at least the memory says
>> > it's nice. But never mind.)
>> >
>> > The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard that
>> > word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word that is
>> > used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter, please tell
>> > me.)
>>
>> It's a kind of wheat, and a kind of "pudding" (in the British sense of
>> the word). I remember a children's story about a country called
>> "Semolina" that ended something like this (quoting from a nearly
>> 50-year-old memory):
>>
>> "And they all lived happily ever after, and nothing exciting ever
>> happened in the Land of Semolina again, so much so that, many years
>> later, when someone invented the most flavorless, dull, boring pudding
>> ever, he decided to call it 'Semolina Pudding'".
>
>There is another product called Semolina. "Hard" Semolina flour is
>commonly used to make a variety of pastas. A small amount added to the
>dough gives bread a nice crust. From what Tina said, I am sure that she
>was asking about the pudding though.

It gives the bread a slightly richer taste, too.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com/

Marilee J. Layman

Oct 27, 2006, 5:49:04 PM10/27/06
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 21:38:49 -0400, "S. Palmer" <cic...@speakeasy.net>
wrote:

>Tina Hall wrote:
>> The dictionary suggests 'semolina' as translation. I've never heard that
>> word, or read it as far as I remember. Is that actually a word that is
>> used? Or is there a more common alternative? (If the latter, please tell
>> me.)
>
>I had a turkey sandwich on semolina bread this very afternoon, at a
>chain restaurant (Panera) where it is a standard menu choice. It's
>certainly a common term here where I am (New England). I've pretty much
>only seen it applied to bread, and flour out of which bread is made.
>Though I'm sure there are other things that could be made from it, I am
>not aware of them.

Some pastas are made of semolina.

Kat R

Oct 27, 2006, 7:14:21 PM10/27/06
Joann Zimmerman wrote:
> In article <AeedndZCup0W3N_Y...@comcast.com>,
> null....@lycos.com says...
>
>> "Cream of Wheat" is a little more bland than porridge made from oats and
>> a little more paste-like in consistency. Less chunky, very pale in
>> color, and tastes a bit like wet matzoh/saltines until you put some kind
>> of flavoring in it. You really can use anything from salty/savory to
>> sweet because the flavor of the farina is very neutral.
>
> If there is anything closer in taste *and* texture to wet library paste
> than cream of wheat, I never want to meet it.
>
> Kat, your use of the word "little" was sadly misjudged. IMHO.

Hey, some people like it--though I'm not one of them. I cannot get out
of my mind the experience of using farina and white glue to create jesso
for stiffening muslin "flats" for stage sets--fake walls made of muslin
stretched over a lightweight wooden frame and then made stiff and opaque
by applying said jesso to the out-facing surface. Once dried, the
surface could be textured and painted as needed, but it smells like
Cream of Wheat gone bad the whole time it's drying and the consistency
is very much like library paste, since it's the same product that's sold
as "wheat-based wallpaper paste." Only we made it in 10-gallon buckets.
And I've never eaten Cream of Wheat since.

Kat R

Oct 27, 2006, 7:16:02 PM10/27/06
Ed Schoenfeld wrote:

> I'm not surprised that the version cooked with water tastes like
> library paste. Water+flour **IS** library paste. I'm reminded of a
> local comedienne I heard in Minneapolis:
>
> "You add water to flour and make glue. Then you add sugar and bake a
> cake.
> . . .
>
> Where did the glue go?"

Straight to the hips.

Aqua

Oct 27, 2006, 9:11:35 PM10/27/06
Ed Schoenfeld wrote:

> I'm not surprised that the version cooked with water tastes like
> library paste. Water+flour **IS** library paste. I'm reminded of a
> local comedienne I heard in Minneapolis:
>
> "You add water to flour and make glue. Then you add sugar and bake a
> cake.

> .. . .

> Where did the glue go?"

I can't think of any cake recipes that use water. They tend to use milk
if they use any liquid.

Aqua

Aqua

Oct 27, 2006, 9:26:52 PM10/27/06
Kat R wrote:

> Hey, some people like it--though I'm not one of them. I cannot get out
> of my mind the experience of using farina and white glue to create jesso
> for stiffening muslin "flats" for stage sets--fake walls made of muslin
> stretched over a lightweight wooden frame and then made stiff and opaque
> by applying said jesso to the out-facing surface. Once dried, the
> surface could be textured and painted as needed, but it smells like
> Cream of Wheat gone bad the whole time it's drying and the consistency
> is very much like library paste, since it's the same product that's sold
> as "wheat-based wallpaper paste." Only we made it in 10-gallon buckets.
> And I've never eaten Cream of Wheat since.

Jesso is sort of like gesso?

Aqua

Zeborah

Oct 27, 2006, 10:03:45 PM10/27/06
Aqua <aq...@internode.on.net> wrote:

When I was in New Caledonia with a sprained ankle and the nearest shops
over half an hour away on foot (and still easier than catching a bus) I
made all sorts of things with flour and fewer other ingredients than one
would have thought possible. At one stage I considered writing a book
called "101 Uses for Flour and Water" -- starting with glue and working
up with more and more ingredients via damper through to actual food --
but eventually my ankle healed.

I don't think I made a cake during that period, but I know I made
pseudo-pancakes.

Zeborah
--
Gravity is no joke.
http://www.geocities.com/zeborahnz/

Tina Hall

Oct 27, 2006, 10:17:00 AM10/27/06
Tux Wonder <wes.p...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:

[farina]

>>> As long as it's kept dry it lasts a long time and you can cook it

>>> quickly with just hot water. You may add butter or milk or sugar as

>>> you prefer, either while cooking or after. It's extremely bland.
>>
>> Except for the bland it sounds just like the stuff my grandmother
>> made.
>>
>> For comparison, would you say that porridge is bland, too?
>>
> Semolina's got a different sort of blandness to oatmeal porridge - I
> assume that's what you're referring to when you use the word
> "porridge".

Yep. It's the only kind of porridge I know.

> (By "bland" I mean no strong flavours,

For me, 'bland' is close to 'tastes of nothing' (much like vanilla).

> but you can't mistake the flavour or the texture of semolina for
> oatmeal or vice versa.

Wasn't suggesting that, just trying to find out what Kat would call bland.
Calibrating. :)

Hm. There's a shop in the city that imports food from England. Guess I
could go there and ask for both, semolina and farina, then compare to the
German "Griess".

> Semolina's got a starchy sweetness to it that's pleasant, while
> oatmeal is nowhere near as starchy, or as sweet.)

Sweet, yes (but I suppose in both it's the sugar's fault), which for me
moves it straight out of the 'bland' range, though the texture of porridge
can break the urge to eat more. Don't know what 'starchy' would taste
like.

> "Good, late in to more rewarding well."?(?("Well,?(you?(tonight.?(?(And
> ?(I?(was lookintelligent woman of Ming
> home.?(?(I?(trust?(you?(with?(a?(tender?(silence."?(?(I get a word into

> my hands, a different and unbelike, probably - 'she fortunate fat

> woman', wrong word.?(?(I?(think?(to?(me,?(I?(justupid. Let not emacs

> meta-X dissociate-press write your romantic dialogs...!!!
> -------------------------------- notcatweazle.wordpress.com - Some
> unmagical musings

That looks funny, and is a bit long...

Carl Dershem

Oct 27, 2006, 11:25:22 PM10/27/06
Zeborah wrote:

> When I was in New Caledonia with a sprained ankle and the nearest shops
> over half an hour away on foot (and still easier than catching a bus) I
> made all sorts of things with flour and fewer other ingredients than one
> would have thought possible. At one stage I considered writing a book
> called "101 Uses for Flour and Water" -- starting with glue and working
> up with more and more ingredients via damper through to actual food --
> but eventually my ankle healed.
>
> I don't think I made a cake during that period, but I know I made
> pseudo-pancakes.

Do you cook those on a pseudo-pan? :)

cd

Tina Hall

Oct 28, 2006, 2:27:00 AM10/28/06
Kat R <null....@lycos.comPOST> wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:
>> Kat R <null....@lycos.comPOST> wrote:

> Semolina is a variety of wheat that makes a very fine and sticky paste
> when ground--it's really common for use in good quality pasta/noodles.

Noodles from "Griess", that's a surprise. Interesting!

> I suppose you could use semolina wheat for the same purpose but I think
> the term "farina" is more common to the US, since it basically means
> "wheat paste" or very finely ground wheat powder and no one cares which
> variety of wheat is used to make it.

Thanks. I think I'll settle on using 'farina', then. (In the story.)

>>> I think what most people are familiar with in my area is
>>> "farina"--common trade name is Cream of Wheat. (Raw wheat paste, at
>>> heart, but food grade.)
>>
>> About that my dictionary only has:
>>
>> "farinaceous" - containing or resembling starch (origin: Latin
>> "farina" 'flour').

> That makes sense. The American term must have evolved from the idea of
> wheat flour of a certain grade. It's not as fine as bread flour, more
> chunky, like you'd get from grinding by hand or with a very course
> mill.

Perfect for my purposes. (I don't have anything as fine as flour in mind,
anyway.)

>>> You may add butter or milk or sugar as you prefer, either while
>>> cooking or after. It's extremely bland.
>>
>> Except for the bland it sounds just like the stuff my grandmother
>> made.
>>
>> For comparison, would you say that porridge is bland, too?

> "Cream of Wheat" is a little more bland than porridge made from oats
> and a little more paste-like in consistency. Less chunky, very pale in
> color, and tastes a bit like wet matzoh/saltines until you put some
> kind of flavoring in it.

Unfortunately, I don't know what matzoh/saltines are. (My dictionary
doesn't either.)

> You really can use anything from salty/savory to sweet because the
> flavor of the farina is very neutral.

Ah. That's useful. :)

> Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks.

Tina Hall

Oct 28, 2006, 2:26:00 AM10/28/06
Denni <denni_...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
<Tina Hall wrote>:

Please put in attributions, so people know who wrote what.

>> The problem with words for something I only know in German is finding
>> the right one in English. With things like this, the ones in the
>> dictionary are suspect because they're completely unfamiliar.
>>
>> Do you think using 'farina' would be better than 'semolina' for
>> something that's somehow boiled with water? (And whatever else - as
>> soon as I've got some money I'll by some "Griess" to make pulp with;
>> it might say what to do on the box.)

> Semolina is the correct translation for Grießpudding, usually cooked
> with milk and sugar.

Ok, what I had in mind was Griessbrei. (Pudding being much smoother, like
chocolate pudding. In Brei - pulp - there's still the grain to be felt. Do
you make that distinction, too?)

> I have eaten both, in Germany and the UK. The above is regarded as the
> correct spelling, but most people write 'Griess' (double s) ;)

I don't write ß, ä, ö, and ü, normally. Originated way back when with
Fidonet, where they were not used (nettiquette equivalent rules, though
more enforced afair) due to them coming across weird on other systems. By
now I don't even write them with pen and paper, and think they should be
abolished. :)

> Some recipes use water instead of milk and add lemon juice and -zest

Interesting.

> As an ingredient, semolina is only bland when not used right. It is the
> base for a very delicious and easy lemon cake, Indian halva and I have
> been known to pep up the pudding with rose water and a touch of green
> cardamom (like firni, but made with semolina instead of ground rice).

Thanks! Not what my characters have available (and I doubt either of them
could cook with finery), but it gives me a better idea of the range of
uses (like many other comments in this thread).

> My mother used Grieß to line her baking trays: butter and powder with
> semolina. It works better than flour for making cakes and it tastes
> better, too.

What powder?

Zeborah

Oct 28, 2006, 1:54:40 AM10/28/06
Carl Dershem <der...@cox.net> wrote:

> Zeborah wrote:
>
> > When I was in New Caledonia with a sprained ankle

[...]

> > I don't think I made a cake during that period, but I know I made
> > pseudo-pancakes.
>
> Do you cook those on a pseudo-pan? :)

Well, since I was lodged in a studio on school grounds, and (from what I
understood) they had no fire insurance, so we were not allowed to cook
at all, presumably being expected to eat at the school cafeteria
surrounded by boarding school boys, even in holidays when, oops, the
cafeteria was of course closed for weeks at a time...

...it naturally follows that I, a law-abiding creature, could not
*possibly* have been using a *real* electric frying pan (which it turns
out to be possible to also use as an oven in which to bake
milk-carton-sized banana cakes).

David Friedman

Oct 28, 2006, 2:02:45 AM10/28/06
In article <1hnxlhk.5jrjbd125kjqvN%zeb...@gmail.com>,
zeb...@gmail.com (Zeborah) wrote:

> ...it naturally follows that I, a law-abiding creature, could not
> *possibly* have been using a *real* electric frying pan (which it turns
> out to be possible to also use as an oven in which to bake
> milk-carton-sized banana cakes).

It's possible to make a "cake" with a frying pan used as a frying pan.

Start with a sticky pancake batter. Fry a pancake. Turn it over. Smear
the cooked side with some of the sticky batter. Turn it over. Smear the
cooked side with some of the sticky batter. Turn it over. Repeat until
you run out of batter. Turn the cake up on its edge and roll it around
the pan to make sure all the batter at the edge is cooked.

Punch holes in the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon and pour in
honey and melted butter.

You have a thick cake cooked all the way through--because all of it was,
at some point, near the surface that was being fried.

(13th c. Andalusian and very good).

--
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/ http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/
Author of _Harald_, a fantasy without magic.

Cyli

Oct 28, 2006, 2:19:20 AM10/28/06
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 00:31:17 +1300, Tux Wonder-Dog
<wes.p...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>"mail meal" for cast iron stomachs, I presume? ;)

Typo. Mail for main.

--
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus
ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Julian Flood

Oct 28, 2006, 5:00:51 AM10/28/06
Cyli wrote:

>> "mail meal" for cast iron stomachs, I presume? ;)
>
> Typo. Mail for main.

Shame. I thought 'ready-cooked meals by post'. The ultimate in laziness.

JF

Zeborah

Oct 28, 2006, 5:19:17 AM10/28/06
Julian Flood <jul...@ooopsfloodsclimbers.co.uk> wrote:

You can get heat-and-eat meals delivered to your door here by the
Sallies. Only on Mondays, so I presume they're freezable.

Julian Flood

Oct 28, 2006, 5:27:23 AM10/28/06
Zeborah wrote:

>>> Typo. Mail for main.
>> Shame. I thought 'ready-cooked meals by post'. The ultimate in laziness.
>
> You can get heat-and-eat meals delivered to your door here by the
> Sallies. Only on Mondays, so I presume they're freezable.

The Management used to do Meals on Wheels for the local
pensioners/invalids. She claims to have seen a house on Ixworth main
street which still had a beaten earth floor in the late 70s.

JF
(Thinking of floors because he's just laid a lot of engineered planks
after the plasterers had been and gone. 25 years ago, maybe 28, I looked
at the walls, floor and ceilings and said 'when we've got some money,
we'll do it properly'. In the end it just involved getting up earlier
and working harder. Clay lies still but blood's a rover....)

Tux Wonder-Dog

Oct 28, 2006, 5:51:41 AM10/28/06
David Friedman wrote:

> In article <1hnxlhk.5jrjbd125kjqvN%zeb...@gmail.com>,
> zeb...@gmail.com (Zeborah) wrote:
>
>> ...it naturally follows that I, a law-abiding creature, could not
>> *possibly* have been using a *real* electric frying pan (which it turns
>> out to be possible to also use as an oven in which to bake
>> milk-carton-sized banana cakes).
>>

> It's possible to make a "cake" with a frying pan used as a frying pan.
>
> Start with a sticky pancake batter. Fry a pancake. Turn it over. Smear
> the cooked side with some of the sticky batter. Turn it over. Smear the
> cooked side with some of the sticky batter. Turn it over. Repeat until
> you run out of batter. Turn the cake up on its edge and roll it around
> the pan to make sure all the batter at the edge is cooked.
>
> Punch holes in the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon and pour in
> honey and melted butter.
>
> You have a thick cake cooked all the way through--because all of it was,
> at some point, near the surface that was being fried.
>
> (13th c. Andalusian and very good).

That sounds very interesting. I think I'll have to adapt it for the
Rakhebuityan recipe book - only they're using something other than flour.
Maybe I'll gift them with something like the sago palm.

Wesley Parish

--
"Good, late in to more rewarding well."  "Well, you tonight.  And I was
lookintelligent woman of Ming home.  I trust you with a tender silence."  I

get a word into my hands, a different and unbelike, probably - 'she

fortunate fat woman', wrong word.  I think to me, I justupid.

Nicholas Waller

Oct 28, 2006, 6:30:10 AM10/28/06

Jacey Bedford wrote:

> We used to have semolina at school as a milk pudding roughly equivalent
> to rice pudding and tapioca pudding. I could never remember which way
> round they were but I think it was the semolina which was like
> sweetended warm wallpaper paste and the tapioca that was like sweetened
> milky frogspawn.

Breaking News: Semolina explosion in Great Yarmouth!
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2426101.html

"The semolina flour, which had accidentally blasted out of a silo,
turned into a gooey mess when council workers tried to clear it up with
water. As teams of men struggled against the tide of what must be every
schoolchild's most hated dessert, it was feared that the town's
sewage works would be clogged. The semolina had to be flushed down
drains and into the River Yare."

The paper version even mentions frogspawn in a side bar, which also
says that banana custard is in the same hate-category as tapioca and
semolina, but I can't be having that.

--
Nick

Joann Zimmerman

Oct 28, 2006, 10:48:09 AM10/28/06
In article <1162031410.2...@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
test...@aol.com says...

Right after all these disgusting details, they give a recipe for
gnocchi. What could they have been thinking?

Carl Dershem

Oct 28, 2006, 11:01:31 AM10/28/06
Zeborah wrote:

> Carl Dershem <der...@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>Zeborah wrote:
>>

>>>When I was in New Caledonia with a sprained ankle
>
> [...]
>
>>>I don't think I made a cake during that period, but I know I made
>>>pseudo-pancakes.
>>
>>Do you cook those on a pseudo-pan? :)
>

> Well, since I was lodged in a studio on school grounds, and (from what I
> understood) they had no fire insurance, so we were not allowed to cook
> at all, presumably being expected to eat at the school cafeteria
> surrounded by boarding school boys, even in holidays when, oops, the
> cafeteria was of course closed for weeks at a time...
>
> ...it naturally follows that I, a law-abiding creature, could not
> *possibly* have been using a *real* electric frying pan (which it turns
> out to be possible to also use as an oven in which to bake
> milk-carton-sized banana cakes).
>
> Zeborah

That sounds suspiciously like some of my experiences in navy barracks. :)

cd

Brian M. Scott

Oct 28, 2006, 2:07:47 PM10/28/06
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:49:46 +0100, Jacey Bedford
<look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in
<news:fYmYHN+6...@artifact.demon.co.uk> in
rec.arts.sf.composition:

[...]

> We used to have semolina at school as a milk pudding
> roughly equivalent to rice pudding and tapioca pudding.
> I could never remember which way round they were but I
> think it was the semolina which was like sweetended warm
> wallpaper paste and the tapioca that was like sweetened
> milky frogspawn.

That would be my guess, though I was always rather fond of
tapioca pudding. It's especially nice with crushed
pineapple or with strong chocolate sauce.

Brian

Joel Polowin

Oct 28, 2006, 11:19:17 AM10/28/06
Nicholas Waller wrote:
> Breaking News: Semolina explosion in Great Yarmouth!
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2426101.html
>
> "The semolina flour, which had accidentally blasted out of a silo,
> turned into a gooey mess when council workers tried to clear it up with
> water. As teams of men struggled against the tide of what must be every
> schoolchild's most hated dessert, it was feared that the town's
> sewage works would be clogged. The semolina had to be flushed down
> drains and into the River Yare."

Huh. Sounds *remarkably* like the Oobleck Incident:
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.arts.sf.fandom/msg/8c09d9e705cbbc9b

Joel

David Friedman

Oct 28, 2006, 1:45:41 PM10/28/06
In article <4543...@clear.net.nz>,
Tux Wonder-Dog <wes.p...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> David Friedman wrote:
>
> > In article <1hnxlhk.5jrjbd125kjqvN%zeb...@gmail.com>,
> > zeb...@gmail.com (Zeborah) wrote:
> >
> >> ...it naturally follows that I, a law-abiding creature, could not
> >> *possibly* have been using a *real* electric frying pan (which it turns
> >> out to be possible to also use as an oven in which to bake
> >> milk-carton-sized banana cakes).
> >>

> > It's possible to make a "cake" with a frying pan used as a frying pan.
> >
> > Start with a sticky pancake batter. Fry a pancake. Turn it over. Smear
> > the cooked side with some of the sticky batter. Turn it over. Smear the
> > cooked side with some of the sticky batter. Turn it over. Repeat until
> > you run out of batter. Turn the cake up on its edge and roll it around
> > the pan to make sure all the batter at the edge is cooked.
> >
> > Punch holes in the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon and pour in
> > honey and melted butter.
> >
> > You have a thick cake cooked all the way through--because all of it was,
> > at some point, near the surface that was being fried.
> >
> > (13th c. Andalusian and very good).
> >
> That sounds very interesting. I think I'll have to adapt it for the
> Rakhebuityan recipe book - only they're using something other than flour.
> Maybe I'll gift them with something like the sago palm.
>
> Wesley Parish

If you want the actual recipe, it's at:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Misc9recipes.pdf

The title is:

Recipe for Murakkaba, a Dish which is Made in the Region of Constantine
and is Called Kutâmiyya

David Friedman

Oct 28, 2006, 1:46:53 PM10/28/06
In article <45432161$0$137$7b0f...@reader.news.newnet.co.uk>,
Julian Flood <jul...@ooopsfloodsclimbers.co.uk> wrote:

Breath's a ware that will not keep.

Suzanne Blom

Oct 28, 2006, 1:51:01 PM10/28/06

"Zeborah" <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> When I was in New Caledonia with a sprained ankle and the nearest shops
> over half an hour away on foot (and still easier than catching a bus) I
> made all sorts of things with flour and fewer other ingredients than one
> would have thought possible. At one stage I considered writing a book
> called "101 Uses for Flour and Water" -- starting with glue and working
> up with more and more ingredients via damper through to actual food --
> but eventually my ankle healed.
>
> I don't think I made a cake during that period, but I know I made
> pseudo-pancakes.

A friend of mine and I were mutually surprised when I found out she made
pancakes by mixing flour & water & cooking it hot so it would bubble up like
a cake; & she found out I made a thin batter with baking soda & so on &
cooked it any which way in the fry pan. Both came out pancakes--as long as
one knew which raw stuff was which.

Kat R

Oct 28, 2006, 1:54:06 PM10/28/06

Blahrgh. yeah, spelling disfuntion here--bain on autopilot

Julian Flood

Oct 28, 2006, 1:56:26 PM10/28/06
David Friedman wrote:

>> and working harder. Clay lies still but blood's a rover....)
>
> Breath's a ware that will not keep.

If you like the poems I recommend /A Shropshire Lad/ by Joan Mills and
Michael Raven. Old tunes to the words, some breathtakingly beautiful.

JF

S. Palmer

Oct 28, 2006, 2:10:35 PM10/28/06
Jacey Bedford wrote:
> We used to have semolina at school as a milk pudding roughly equivalent
> to rice pudding and tapioca pudding. I could never remember which way
> round they were but I think it was the semolina which was like
> sweetended warm wallpaper paste and the tapioca that was like sweetened
> milky frogspawn.

'round here there's been this latest fad called "bubble tea". I'm not
sure exactly what it is, but it's some sort of drink with little balls
of tapioca in it. I tried it once. It tasted like half-tea half-milk
with frog eggs in it. I shudder at the memory, but then I am one of
those weird people who is texture-sensitive with foods.

-Suzanne

--
http://www.zanzjan.net/
See my story "Spheres" out now in Interzone 207

Kat R

Oct 28, 2006, 2:02:22 PM10/28/06
Tina Hall wrote:

> Unfortunately, I don't know what matzoh/saltines are. (My dictionary
> doesn't either.)

Soda crackers, ship's biscuit--thin, unleavened white-flour crackers
(not an American cookie or a British noise-maker). I've run out of
names for them.... Not much more to them than wheat flour, baking soda,
salt and water made into a paste, spread on a baking sheet and baked
until crispy.

Irina Rempt

Oct 28, 2006, 3:33:20 PM10/28/06
Cyli wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:49:46 +0100, Jacey Bedford

> <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I could never remember which way
>>round they were but I think it was the semolina which was like
>>sweetended warm wallpaper paste and the tapioca that was like sweetened
>>milky frogspawn.
>

> You've remembered them properly. I love the frog spawn. Just can't
> think too much about how it looks.

My best friend's mother used to put tapioca in tomato soup, and yes, we
did call it frog spawn but we loved it anyway.

Irina

--
Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin. http://www.valdyas.org/irina/
http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi Latest: 08-Sep-2006

Irina Rempt

Oct 28, 2006, 3:34:46 PM10/28/06
Tina Hall wrote:

> For me, 'bland' is close to 'tastes of nothing' (much like vanilla).

If you think vanilla tastes of nothing, you have a very different
conception of nothing from mine!

Tina Hall

Oct 28, 2006, 4:51:00 PM10/28/06
Kat R <null....@lycos.comPOST> wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:

>> Unfortunately, I don't know what matzoh/saltines are. (My dictionary
>> doesn't either.)
>>
> Soda crackers, ship's biscuit--thin, unleavened white-flour crackers
> (not an American cookie or a British noise-maker). I've run out of
> names for them.... Not much more to them than wheat flour, baking
> soda, salt and water made into a paste, spread on a baking sheet and
> baked until crispy.

Thanks. I've got an image, but can't put a (German) name to it. I'm sure I
should know the word, but it's just outside reach.

Tina Hall

Oct 28, 2006, 4:57:00 PM10/28/06
David Friedman <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote:

> If you want the actual recipe, it's at:

> http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Misc9recipes.pdf

I wanted to save that to look for other receipes, but then saw 'pdf'. Are
there any normal text files on your site, too?

Brian M. Scott

Oct 28, 2006, 7:44:59 PM10/28/06
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:51:00 GMT+1, Tina Hall
<Tina...@kruemel.org> wrote in
in rec.arts.sf.composition:

> Kat R <null....@lycos.comPOST> wrote:

>> Tina Hall wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, I don't know what matzoh/saltines are. (My dictionary
>>> doesn't either.)

>> Soda crackers, ship's biscuit--thin, unleavened white-flour crackers
>> (not an American cookie or a British noise-maker). I've run out of
>> names for them.... Not much more to them than wheat flour, baking
>> soda, salt and water made into a paste, spread on a baking sheet and
>> baked until crispy.

> Thanks. I've got an image, but can't put a (German) name to it. I'm sure I
> should know the word, but it's just outside reach.

Judging by the description and the picture, the TUC Cracker
from Griesson - de Beukelaer may be fairly similar.

<http://www.griesson-debeukelaer.de/index.php3>

Brian

Zeborah

Oct 28, 2006, 5:14:01 PM10/28/06
Irina Rempt <ir...@valdyas.org> wrote:

> My best friend's mother used to put tapioca in tomato soup, and yes, we
> did call it frog spawn but we loved it anyway.

That reminds me (through random associations) of the story that my
grandmother, when preparing whitebait, would always trim off the eyes
and tails...

Tina Hall

Oct 28, 2006, 6:07:00 PM10/28/06
Irina Rempt <ir...@valdyas.org> wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:

>> For me, 'bland' is close to 'tastes of nothing' (much like vanilla).

> If you think vanilla tastes of nothing, you have a very different
> conception of nothing from mine!

Heh. Likely. It's the reason I don't like vanilla icecream, too, because
that is just, well, bland.

David Friedman

Oct 28, 2006, 8:17:51 PM10/28/06
In article <454398b1$0$141$7b0f...@reader.news.newnet.co.uk>,
Julian Flood <jul...@ooopsfloodsclimbers.co.uk> wrote:

Thanks. I do.

Pat Bowne

Oct 28, 2006, 9:34:35 PM10/28/06

"S. Palmer" <cic...@speakeasy.net> wrote

> 'round here there's been this latest fad called "bubble tea". I'm not
> sure exactly what it is, but it's some sort of drink with little balls
> of tapioca in it. I tried it once. It tasted like half-tea half-milk
> with frog eggs in it. I shudder at the memory, but then I am one of
> those weird people who is texture-sensitive with foods.

I'm very fond of bubble tea, mainly because it comes in lovely flavors like
lychee.

Pat

Pat Bowne

Oct 28, 2006, 9:35:39 PM10/28/06

> Irina Rempt <ir...@valdyas.org> wrote:
>
>> My best friend's mother used to put tapioca in tomato soup, and yes, we
>> did call it frog spawn but we loved it anyway.
>
> That reminds me (through random associations) of the story that my
> grandmother, when preparing whitebait, would always trim off the eyes
> and tails...

Good for her! It gave me a start when I saw whitebait in the refrigerator
case, looking at me through the side of their plastic bin.

Pat

Marilee J. Layman

Oct 28, 2006, 9:42:27 PM10/28/06
On 28 Oct 2006 03:30:10 -0700, "Nicholas Waller" <test...@aol.com>
wrote:

>Jacey Bedford wrote:
>>
>> We used to have semolina at school as a milk pudding roughly equivalent
>> to rice pudding and tapioca pudding. I could never remember which way
>> round they were but I think it was the semolina which was like
>> sweetended warm wallpaper paste and the tapioca that was like sweetened
>> milky frogspawn.
>
>Breaking News: Semolina explosion in Great Yarmouth!
>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2426101.html
>
>"The semolina flour, which had accidentally blasted out of a silo,
>turned into a gooey mess when council workers tried to clear it up with
>water. As teams of men struggled against the tide of what must be every
>schoolchild's most hated dessert, it was feared that the town's
>sewage works would be clogged. The semolina had to be flushed down
>drains and into the River Yare."

I can't imagine it did the river any good, either. Here, stuff like
that gets snowblown, bulldozed, or swept up.

>The paper version even mentions frogspawn in a side bar, which also
>says that banana custard is in the same hate-category as tapioca and
>semolina, but I can't be having that.
--

Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com/

David M. Palmer

Oct 28, 2006, 10:06:48 PM10/28/06
In article <4543b0d6$0$323$e4fe...@news.xs4all.nl>, Irina Rempt
<ir...@valdyas.org> wrote:

> Tina Hall wrote:
>
> > For me, 'bland' is close to 'tastes of nothing' (much like vanilla).
>
> If you think vanilla tastes of nothing, you have a very different
> conception of nothing from mine!

More likely a very different conception of vanilla--probably based on
low-quality ice cream in which you can't taste the vanilla.

--
David M. Palmer dmpa...@email.com (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)

David Friedman

Oct 28, 2006, 10:21:39 PM10/28/06
In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet...@fidonet.org>,
Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:

> David Friedman <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote:
>
> > If you want the actual recipe, it's at:
>
> > http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Misc9recipes.pdf
>
> I wanted to save that to look for other receipes, but then saw 'pdf'. Are
> there any normal text files on your site, too?

Most of what is on my site is in html. The Miscellany is in pdf because
it includes pictures--not in the recipe section but elsewhere--and it
was easier to just do a pdf of the printed version than to lay it all
out in html.

Zeborah

Oct 28, 2006, 11:23:32 PM10/28/06
Pat Bowne <pbo...@execpc.com> wrote:

> "Zeborah" <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > That reminds me (through random associations) of the story that my
> > grandmother, when preparing whitebait, would always trim off the eyes
> > and tails...
>
> Good for her! It gave me a start when I saw whitebait in the refrigerator
> case, looking at me through the side of their plastic bin.

I believe that was pretty much the reason she did it. But it's like
getting, say, a packetful of M&Ms, laboriously trimming all the candy
off the chocolate, and throwing it away: unnecessary, timeconsuming,
and a waste of good sugar.

Tina Hall

Oct 29, 2006, 4:34:00 AM10/29/06
David Friedman <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote:
> Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
>> David Friedman <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote:

>>> If you want the actual recipe, it's at:
>>
>>> http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Misc9recipes.pd
>>
>> I wanted to save that to look for other receipes, but then saw 'pdf'.
>> Are there any normal text files on your site, too?

> Most of what is on my site is in html. The Miscellany is in pdf because
> it includes pictures--not in the recipe section but elsewhere--and it
> was easier to just do a pdf of the printed version than to lay it all
> out in html.

Ok, thanks.

I hope I might find some inspiration about pre-technological food there.
Wouldn't want to copy stuff straight, but get a better idea. You've talked
about it here at times, and I get the impression you've got a good idea on
the subject.

David Friedman

Oct 29, 2006, 3:26:00 AM10/29/06
In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet...@fidonet.org>,
Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:

> David Friedman <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote:
> > Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:

> >> I wanted to save that to look for other receipes, but then saw 'pdf'.
> >> Are there any normal text files on your site, too?
>
> > Most of what is on my site is in html. The Miscellany is in pdf because
> > it includes pictures--not in the recipe section but elsewhere--and it
> > was easier to just do a pdf of the printed version than to lay it all
> > out in html.
>
> Ok, thanks.
>
> I hope I might find some inspiration about pre-technological food there.
> Wouldn't want to copy stuff straight, but get a better idea. You've talked
> about it here at times, and I get the impression you've got a good idea on
> the subject.

I have a bunch of medieval cookbooks webbed at:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html

in html.

You might find them of interest. Unlike the Miscellany, they only give
the original recipes, not a worked out version with quantities and
temperatures and times.

Tina Hall

Oct 29, 2006, 6:23:00 AM10/29/06
David Friedman <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote:
> Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:

>> I hope I might find some inspiration about pre-technological food
>> there. Wouldn't want to copy stuff straight, but get a better idea.
>> You've talked about it here at times, and I get the impression you've
>> got a good idea on the subject.

> I have a bunch of medieval cookbooks webbed at:

> http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html

> in html.

Thanks. Will definitely look at that next time I'm online.

(My experience with web pages, though, is, that there's a page linking to
various sub-categories, and they have more links. Never a method to grab a
bunch of pages on the same subject - the page and the sub-links or
whatever they're called. Do you have anything that can be conveniently
downloaded to read offline?)

> You might find them of interest. Unlike the Miscellany, they only give
> the original recipes, not a worked out version with quantities and
> temperatures and times.

Yep, sounds good. (Quantities, temperatures, and times might be
interesting, but I might be able to make some guesses if I need to.)

Joann Zimmerman

Oct 29, 2006, 10:31:54 AM10/29/06
In article <12k8197...@corp.supernews.com>, pbo...@execpc.com
says...

> "S. Palmer" <cic...@speakeasy.net> wrote
> >
> > 'round here there's been this latest fad called "bubble tea". I'm not
> > sure exactly what it is, but it's some sort of drink with little balls
> > of tapioca in it. I tried it once. It tasted like half-tea half-milk
> > with frog eggs in it. I shudder at the memory, but then I am one of
> > those weird people who is texture-sensitive with foods.

[Piggybacking]

Not weird at all. Gummy foods such as jellybeans and gummi bears give me
the creeps. Tapioca is appalling. I can just handle really stiff jams
and marmalades, and breakfast was a problem when I was a kid because
overcooked eggs could set off the same reaction.

--
"I never understood people who don't have bookshelves."
--George Plimpton

Joann Zimmerman jz...@bellereti.com

David Friedman

Oct 29, 2006, 12:15:49 PM10/29/06
In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet...@fidonet.org>,
Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:

> (My experience with web pages, though, is, that there's a page linking to
> various sub-categories, and they have more links. Never a method to grab a
> bunch of pages on the same subject - the page and the sub-links or
> whatever they're called. Do you have anything that can be conveniently
> downloaded to read offline?)

Some of the translated cookbooks, such as Le Menagier, are webbed as a
single html document. In that one there is a second document serving as
a table of contents with links to places in the main document.

barnacle

Oct 29, 2006, 12:50:12 PM10/29/06
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 01:26:00 -0700, David Friedman wrote:

> I have a bunch of medieval cookbooks webbed at:
>
> http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html
>
> in html.
>
> You might find them of interest. Unlike the Miscellany, they only give
> the original recipes, not a worked out version with quantities and
> temperatures and times.

Oddly enough, I came across a reference to you on a sausage making site;
praising your ancient sausage recipes. The internet is a small place :)

Neil

--
"I hate a Barnacle as no man ever did before" - Charles Darwin 24/10/1852

Tina Hall

Oct 29, 2006, 4:17:00 PM10/29/06
David Friedman <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote:
> Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:

>> (My experience with web pages, though, is, that there's a page linking
>> to various sub-categories, and they have more links. Never a method to
>> grab a bunch of pages on the same subject - the page and the sub-links
>> or whatever they're called. Do you have anything that can be
>> conveniently downloaded to read offline?)

> Some of the translated cookbooks, such as Le Menagier, are webbed as a
> single html document. In that one there is a second document serving as
> a table of contents with links to places in the main document.

Ah. Thanks.

Chris Dollin

Oct 30, 2006, 1:38:21 AM10/30/06
Tina Hall wrote:

> (My experience with web pages, though, is, that there's a page linking to
> various sub-categories, and they have more links. Never a method to grab a
> bunch of pages on the same subject - the page and the sub-links or
> whatever they're called. Do you have anything that can be conveniently
> downloaded to read offline?)

can you use wget?

(If you don't know, then the answer is likely "no".)

--
Command-Line Hedgehog
Notmuchhere: http://www.electric-hedgehog.net/

Denni

Oct 30, 2006, 6:36:11 AM10/30/06

Tina Hall wrote:

> Ok, what I had in mind was Griessbrei. (Pudding being much smoother, like
> chocolate pudding. In Brei - pulp - there's still the grain to be felt. Do
> you make that distinction, too?)

Yes we do, but I've heard both terms used.

> I don't write ß, ä, ö, and ü, normally. Originated way back when with
> Fidonet, where they were not used (nettiquette equivalent rules, though
> more enforced afair) due to them coming across weird on other systems. By
> now I don't even write them with pen and paper, and think they should be
> abolished. :)

I don't think so! They are part of the German language. Other languages
would have to abolish their accents as well, and try telling that to
the French! ;)

> > My mother used Grieß to line her baking trays: butter and powder with
> > semolina. It works better than flour for making cakes and it tastes
> > better, too.
>
> What powder?

I should have said 'sprinkle' as in 'brush the tray with butter and
sprinkle with flour to prevent the cake from sticking'.

E. Liddell

Oct 30, 2006, 7:17:32 AM10/30/06
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 06:38:21 +0000, Chris Dollin wrote:

> Tina Hall wrote:
>
>> (My experience with web pages, though, is, that there's a page linking to
>> various sub-categories, and they have more links. Never a method to grab a
>> bunch of pages on the same subject - the page and the sub-links or
>> whatever they're called. Do you have anything that can be conveniently
>> downloaded to read offline?)
>
> can you use wget?
>
> (If you don't know, then the answer is likely "no".)

I believe she specified that she was using Windows to access the Web, so
no built-in wget, but there are Windows-compiled versions available from
places like http://pages.interlog.com/~tcharron/wgetwin.html . Tina might
prefer something more graphical, though--I don't know.

Tina Hall

Oct 30, 2006, 10:46:00 AM10/30/06
E. Liddell <elid...@no.patience.for.spam> wrote:
>> Tina Hall wrote:

>>> (My experience with web pages, though, is, that there's a page
>>> linking to various sub-categories, and they have more links. Never a
>>> method to grab a bunch of pages on the same subject - the page and
>>> the sub-links or whatever they're called. Do you have anything that
>>> can be conveniently downloaded to read offline?)

> I believe she specified that she was using Windows to access the Web,

> so no built-in wget, but there are Windows-compiled versions available
> from places like http://pages.interlog.com/~tcharron/wgetwin.html .

Thanks. Will have a look at that. (I even vaguely remember reading the
term 'wget' somewhere in that context.)

> Tina might prefer something more graphical, though--I don't know.

Whatever makes you think that!? Really, graphic firlefanz[*] just gets on
my nerves. :)

Besides, Windoze is incapable of looking how I want it anyway. I only use
it for internet and writing job applications (don't have a printer, so I
need something compatible with wherever I do get to print it).

[*] There's no translation as far as I know. Kind of "useless nonsense",
applicable to objects (ornate dust-gatherers) and behaviour (being
unneccessary worked up/silly/difficult about something). With a less harsh
undertone than "useless nonsense".

Tina Hall

Oct 30, 2006, 10:43:00 AM10/30/06
Denni <denni_...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:

>> I don't write ß, ä, ö, and ü, normally. Originated way back when with
>> Fidonet, where they were not used (nettiquette equivalent rules,
>> though more enforced afair) due to them coming across weird on other
>> systems. By now I don't even write them with pen and paper, and think
>> they should be abolished. :)

> I don't think so! They are part of the German language.

So what? They're ugly.

> Other languages would have to abolish their accents as well,

Why?

> and try telling that to the French! ;)

I wouldn't. :) I think the sound of the French language is repelling, and
don't really care how they spell things.

>>> My mother used Grieß to line her baking trays: butter and powder with
>>> semolina. It works better than flour for making cakes and it tastes
>>> better, too.
>>
>> What powder?

> I should have said 'sprinkle' as in 'brush the tray with butter and
> sprinkle with flour to prevent the cake from sticking'.

Ah. Ok.

E. Liddell

Oct 30, 2006, 1:03:37 PM10/30/06
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:46:00 +0000, Tina Hall wrote:

> E. Liddell <elid...@no.patience.for.spam> wrote:

>> I believe she specified that she was using Windows to access the Web,
>> so no built-in wget, but there are Windows-compiled versions available
>> from places like http://pages.interlog.com/~tcharron/wgetwin.html .
>
> Thanks. Will have a look at that. (I even vaguely remember reading the
> term 'wget' somewhere in that context.)

Once you get it installed, the specific command you want is probably
going to be something along the lines of "wget -r -p [page]" or maybe
"wget -r -k -p [page]"--that'll pull in [page], all the images, styles,
etc., required to display [page], and, in the second case, everything
linked to [page], linked to pages that [page] links to, etc., for
five levels (if you want to pull in more or less than that, you want
the -l option--"wget -r -k -p -l 2 [page]" should get you two levels).
That's from a quick skim of the man page--others who've used the program
directly may wish to correct it.

>> Tina might prefer something more graphical, though--I don't know.
>
> Whatever makes you think that!? Really, graphic firlefanz[*] just gets on
> my nerves. :)
>
> Besides, Windoze is incapable of looking how I want it anyway. I only use
> it for internet and writing job applications (don't have a printer, so I
> need something compatible with wherever I do get to print it).
>
> [*] There's no translation as far as I know. Kind of "useless nonsense",
> applicable to objects (ornate dust-gatherers) and behaviour (being
> unneccessary worked up/silly/difficult about something). With a less harsh
> undertone than "useless nonsense".

"Useless bells and whistles" is probably close.

Tina Hall

Oct 30, 2006, 4:46:00 PM10/30/06
E. Liddell <elid...@no.patience.for.spam> wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:

>>> I believe she specified that she was using Windows to access the Web,
>>> so no built-in wget, but there are Windows-compiled versions
>>> available from places like http://pages.interlog.com/~tcharron/wgetwi
>>> n.html .
>>
>> Thanks. Will have a look at that. (I even vaguely remember reading the
>> term 'wget' somewhere in that context.)

> Once you get it installed, the specific command you want is probably
> going to be something along the lines of "wget -r -p [page]" or maybe
> "wget -r -k -p [page]"--that'll pull in [page], all the images, styles,
> etc.,

? Styles?

Which of the parameters stands for what? (I don't want images. And if
styles is font, I don't want that either. Manually I just copy and paste
the text.)

[page] is the complete url?

If this runs with parameters, where do I type the command? In a DOS
window?

> required to display [page],

Hm. Just displaying the page would be just as awkward as seeing it online,
only cheaper. I'd still have to manually save each linked-to page as a
plain text file.

> and, in the second case, everything linked to [page], linked to pages
> that [page] links to, etc., for five levels (if you want to pull in more
> or less than that, you want the -l option--"wget -r -k -p -l 2 [page]"
> should get you two levels).

Ok. Thanks.

> That's from a quick skim of the man page--others who've used the
> program directly may wish to correct it.

If there's a list of parameters with explanation, I'll have no trouble,
unless I don't understand the explanation. :)

>>> Tina might prefer something more graphical, though--I don't know.
>>
>> Whatever makes you think that!? Really, graphic firlefanz[*] just gets
>> on my nerves. :)
>>
>> Besides, Windoze is incapable of looking how I want it anyway. I only
>> use it for internet and writing job applications (don't have a
>> printer, so I need something compatible with wherever I do get to
>> print it).
>>
>> [*] There's no translation as far as I know. Kind of "useless
>> nonsense", applicable to objects (ornate dust-gatherers) and behaviour
>> (being unneccessary worked up/silly/difficult about something). With a
>> less harsh undertone than "useless nonsense".

> "Useless bells and whistles" is probably close.

Sounds close, but not quite. It sounds more like refering to the
adornments without taking into account the object that is adorned (or the
behaviour only, without the situation). <shrug> It's hard to explain.
English could do well to just eat this word, too. :)

E. Liddell

Oct 30, 2006, 4:48:59 PM10/30/06
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:46:00 +0000, Tina Hall wrote:

> E. Liddell <elid...@no.patience.for.spam> wrote:
>> Tina Hall wrote:

>>> Thanks. Will have a look at that. (I even vaguely remember reading the
>>> term 'wget' somewhere in that context.)
>
>> Once you get it installed, the specific command you want is probably
>> going to be something along the lines of "wget -r -p [page]" or maybe
>> "wget -r -k -p [page]"--that'll pull in [page], all the images, styles,
>> etc.,
>
> ? Styles?

CSS style sheets. They can include a whole bunch of various stuff--
positioning, font styles, a whole bunch of junk like that.

> Which of the parameters stands for what? (I don't want images. And if
> styles is font, I don't want that either. Manually I just copy and paste
> the text.)

-k changes as many of the links in the page as possible to local links.
-p is the one that collects images, stylesheets, etc. If you're going to
be looking at them not just offline but without benefit of a browser
(your main system is . . . OS2? Now that I think about it, I seem to
remember you saying that . . .), they might not be especially useful
options. I was mostly going with what *I* would want if I were pulling
down a page for offline viewing.

> [page] is the complete url?

Yes.

> If this runs with parameters, where do I type the command? In a DOS
> window?

Yes, that should work.

>> required to display [page],
>
> Hm. Just displaying the page would be just as awkward as seeing it online,
> only cheaper. I'd still have to manually save each linked-to page as a
> plain text file.
>
>> and, in the second case, everything linked to [page], linked to pages
>> that [page] links to, etc., for five levels (if you want to pull in more
>> or less than that, you want the -l option--"wget -r -k -p -l 2 [page]"
>> should get you two levels).
>
> Ok. Thanks.
>
>> That's from a quick skim of the man page--others who've used the
>> program directly may wish to correct it.
>
> If there's a list of parameters with explanation, I'll have no trouble,
> unless I don't understand the explanation. :)

There are a *lot* more possible parameters than the ones I mentioned.
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/wget.1.html has the full man
page--the part you mostly want to read is under "Recursive Retrieval
Options", a little more than halfway down the page. There are some
usage examples toward the end, if it starts to confuse you.

Brian M. Scott

Oct 30, 2006, 8:31:16 PM10/30/06
On 30 Oct 2006 03:36:11 -0800, Denni
<denni_...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
in rec.arts.sf.composition:

> Tina Hall wrote:

[...]

>> I don't write ß, ä, ö, and ü, normally. Originated way
>> back when with Fidonet, where they were not used
>> (nettiquette equivalent rules, though more enforced
>> afair) due to them coming across weird on other systems.
>> By now I don't even write them with pen and paper, and
>> think they should be abolished. :)

> I don't think so! They are part of the German language.

The Swiss manage nicely without Scharfes-s, but I certainly
agree with you about the other three.

[...]

Brian M. Scott

Oct 30, 2006, 8:41:53 PM10/30/06
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:17:32 -0500, "E. Liddell"
<elid...@no.patience.for.spam> wrote in
in rec.arts.sf.composition:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 06:38:21 +0000, Chris Dollin wrote:

[...]

>> can you use wget?

>> (If you don't know, then the answer is likely "no".)

> I believe she specified that she was using Windows to
> access the Web, so no built-in wget, but there are
> Windows-compiled versions available from places like

> http://pages.interlog.com/~tcharron/wgetwin.html . [...]

<http://users.ugent.be/~bpuype/wget/> has the most current
version that I found quickly.

Brian

Tina Hall

Oct 30, 2006, 8:58:00 PM10/30/06

[wget for windoze from <http://pages.interlog.com/~tcharron/wgetwin.html>]

>>> Once you get it installed, the specific command you want is probably
>>> going to be something along the lines of "wget -r -p [page]" or maybe
>>> "wget -r -k -p [page]"--that'll pull in [page], all the images,
>>> styles, etc.,
>>
>> ? Styles?

> CSS style sheets. They can include a whole bunch of various stuff--
> positioning, font styles, a whole bunch of junk like that.

Ah. I've looked at one to figure out how they work, but couldn't. (IIRC, I
asked somewhere about where to find help files for that, but got no answer
to that.)

>> Which of the parameters stands for what? (I don't want images. And if
>> styles is font, I don't want that either. Manually I just copy and
>> paste the text.)

> -k changes as many of the links in the page as possible to local links.

That means it converts the actual info in the link to include some path
(or whatever) to where it's on my harddrive?

> -p is the one that collects images, stylesheets, etc. If you're going
> to be looking at them not just offline but without benefit of a browser
> (your main system is . . . OS2? Now that I think about it, I seem to
> remember you saying that . . .), they might not be especially useful
> options.

Yep. Mainly I'm wondering whether it would work that way; just downloading
all the text as textfiles, including the sub-links, without getting all
the website-related stuff. If yes, that would be great. (Unless it's too
big to download. A thought that just occured to me.)

(And yes, I'm using OS/2, but just to have different DOS stuff running at
the same time - not much idea about OS/2 itself - and I really like the
'systemeditor'; a plain ASCII text editor that came with the OS.)

> I was mostly going with what *I* would want if I were pulling
> down a page for offline viewing.

:)

>> If this runs with parameters, where do I type the command? In a DOS
>> window?

> Yes, that should work.

Ok. Thanks.

("That should work" sounds as if there was an alternative. Is there?)

>>> That's from a quick skim of the man page--others who've used the
>>> program directly may wish to correct it.
>>
>> If there's a list of parameters with explanation, I'll have no
>> trouble, unless I don't understand the explanation. :)

> There are a *lot* more possible parameters than the ones I mentioned.
> http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/wget.1.html has the full man
> page--the part you mostly want to read is under "Recursive Retrieval
> Options", a little more than halfway down the page. There are some
> usage examples toward the end, if it starts to confuse you.

:) Thanks again. Will look at that, too.

Monique Y. Mudama

Oct 30, 2006, 10:01:23 PM10/30/06
On 2006-10-27, Kat R penned:
> I think if your audience is mostly US "farina" will make perfect
> sense to them. I'm not sure about the UK audience, though.

I'm from the US and have never heard of farina. I've heard of Cream
of Wheat, though.

--
monique

Cyli

Oct 31, 2006, 12:47:08 AM10/31/06

However, it must have been well known at one time in the US because a
comedy series of movies (Our Gang?) had a character names or called
Farina.

--
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus
ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Monique Y. Mudama

Oct 31, 2006, 12:30:17 PM10/31/06
On 2006-10-31, Cyli penned:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:01:23 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"
><sp...@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:
>
>>On 2006-10-27, Kat R penned:
>>> I think if your audience is mostly US "farina" will make perfect
>>> sense to them. I'm not sure about the UK audience, though.
>>
>>I'm from the US and have never heard of farina. I've heard of Cream
>>of Wheat, though.
>

> However, it must have been well known at one time in the US because
> a comedy series of movies (Our Gang?) had a character names or
> called Farina.

Sure.

I think there are a lot of words that would be clear to people in one
area or generation of the US, but not to people in another. All I was
trying to convey is that, as someone who has a fairly broad vocabulary
in US English, it wasn't familiar to me. But I'd probably get it from
context.

Based on the thread so far, I would be tempted to instead use the
words "gruel" (negative, bland connotation), "grits" (depends on the
region whether this sounds tasty or awful), or "hominy." That's if
we're talking about a bland breakfast meal, which it seems like we
might be. If it's about baking, I'd use "flour" and leave it at that
=)

--
monique

Tina Hall

Oct 31, 2006, 4:07:00 PM10/31/06
Monique Y. Mudama <sp...@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:

> Based on the thread so far, I would be tempted to instead use the
> words "gruel" (negative, bland connotation), "grits" (depends on the
> region whether this sounds tasty or awful), or "hominy."

An alternative word, one I actually know, would indeed be preferable for
me. (Of your list, I don't know 'homini', though. I like 'grits' best.)

> That's if we're talking about a bland breakfast meal, which it seems
> like we might be. If it's about baking, I'd use "flour" and leave it at
> that =)

If 'if we're talking about' is refering to the original post; not as
breakfast, or baking, but insted of rice or potatoe mash, or any other
cheap main pulp that might even have nothing else added to it. Some pap to
boil with water and little else, on a cross-country trip on foot.

'Tasty' isn't a necessary component of the meal, though I could supply
them with sugar on top of the farina/semolina grits. For the first days
they could even have some finery (I thought dried meat and dried fruits
would be nice, but am wondering how long that would last). It's all stolen
from some rich food storage, so the main issue is what can be carried by
two people, each with a rucksack. (The rucksack and individual food
wrapping is also stolen, and expensive. So basically everything that
'keeps in a sealed container at varying temperatures' is possible.)

The thread about... Well the one where fantasy story meals were discussed,
mainly that stew is or isn't what we (or I) think of it, possibly with
much less ingredients, or additions beyond 'water & one vegetable', and
everyone in the stories always eating meat and cheese might not be
realistic and/or enough variance for readers.

Anyway, that thing got me to thinking to do something different. Even
today there are people that only have a dish of rice with nothing else. I
don't want rice or - what's the African thing from potatoes, fufu,
couscous?. I want what my dictionary calls 'semolina'. :) (Or more clearly
in German: Griessbrei.)

As a side-note. The recipes on the box I bought today aren't helpful. One
is for baking, and one is for broth, neither matches my memory. Though I
got to wonder whether it was this stuff (and not flour as I used to think)
that my grandmother made dumplings from for her milk-soup, and the soup
with those icky mixed dried fruits, most of which I didn't like.

Monique Y. Mudama

Oct 31, 2006, 3:21:53 PM10/31/06
On 2006-10-31, Tina Hall penned:

> E. Liddell <elid...@no.patience.for.spam> wrote:
>
>> CSS style sheets. They can include a whole bunch of various
>> stuff-- positioning, font styles, a whole bunch of junk like that.
>
> Ah. I've looked at one to figure out how they work, but couldn't.
> (IIRC, I asked somewhere about where to find help files for that,
> but got no answer to that.)

It's easy to find oodles of documentation on CSS. Here's an example:

http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/topics/stylefaq.htm

--
monique

Irina Rempt

Oct 31, 2006, 4:11:13 PM10/31/06
Tina Hall wrote:

> I don't want rice or - what's the African thing from potatoes, fufu,
> couscous?. I want what my dictionary calls 'semolina'. :) (Or more
> clearly in German: Griessbrei.)

You want bulghur. From Wikipedia:

The key attributes of traditional bulgur production are that the grain is
parboiled, dried (usually by spreading in the sun) and then de-branned.
Bulgur is often confused with cracked wheat, which is made from crushed
wheat grains which have not been parboiled. Although traditionally
de-branned, bulgur and cracked wheat products available in shops may or
may not have had their bran removed. Thus there are whole-grain,
high-fiber versions of each. Bulgur is most often found in Middle
Eastern, Indian and Mediterranean dishes. It has a light and nutty
flavor.

(I have some; it's actually very nice when eaten instead of rice with some
kind of sauce made from meat and/or vegetables. I get it from the Turkish
grocery.)

Irina

--
Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin. http://www.valdyas.org/irina/
http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi Latest: 08-Sep-2006

Monique Y. Mudama

Oct 31, 2006, 5:42:36 PM10/31/06
On 2006-10-30, Denni penned:

> Tina Hall wrote:
>
>> I don't write ß, ä, ö, and ü, normally. Originated way back when
>> with Fidonet, where they were not used (nettiquette equivalent
>> rules, though more enforced afair) due to them coming across weird
>> on other systems. By now I don't even write them with pen and
>> paper, and think they should be abolished. :)
>
> I don't think so! They are part of the German language. Other
> languages would have to abolish their accents as well, and try
> telling that to the French! ;)

To my eye, oe just doesn't look like the sound of o with an umlaut,
but since I'm lazy that's what I usually type.

--
monique

Tina Hall

Oct 31, 2006, 7:47:00 PM10/31/06
Irina Rempt <ir...@valdyas.org> wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:

>> I don't want rice or - what's the African thing from potatoes, fufu,
>> couscous?. I want what my dictionary calls 'semolina'. :) (Or more
>> clearly in German: Griessbrei.)

> You want bulghur.

That's the stuff "Griessbrei" is made from?

> From Wikipedia:

Anyone can edit that, I have no way of telling whether what it says is
true or not. As that, whatever it says about bulghur can not change me not
knowing what "bulghur" is. (And anyway, it doesn't sound like the stuff
"Griessbrei" is made from.[*])

(I wish people would stop quoting wikipedia as if it were a source of
information. For me it doesn't have any credibility, thus whatever it says
tells me no more than that someone wrote whatever it says, maybe even in
good faith, but without any authority on the subject.)

[*] I bought some "Griess" today. The box says it's "... high-quality
wheat, fine-grained and shell/peel-free ground. It'll get soft during
boiling and is ideal fitted for soups, pudding and pulp.".

I guess actually boiling it will take some experiementing on my side. :)

Both recipes, for souffle and for dumplings, use eggs. Think I need some
for plain pulp, too? (But in both recipes the eggs are stirred in after
boiling, before further processing.) I guess I'll try up to just before
the point the eggs are added; up to then the recipes look pretty similar.
(Heat milk, butter, salt, add "Griess".)

David Friedman

Oct 31, 2006, 6:33:30 PM10/31/06
In article <4547bbf1$0$335$e4fe...@news.xs4all.nl>,
Irina Rempt <ir...@valdyas.org> wrote:

> Tina Hall wrote:
>
> > I don't want rice or - what's the African thing from potatoes, fufu,
> > couscous?

Couscous is normally made from wheat.

Marilee J. Layman

Oct 31, 2006, 6:49:45 PM10/31/06
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:30:17 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"
<sp...@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:

>Based on the thread so far, I would be tempted to instead use the
>words "gruel" (negative, bland connotation), "grits" (depends on the
>region whether this sounds tasty or awful), or "hominy." That's if
>we're talking about a bland breakfast meal, which it seems like we
>might be.

And if it's soup, it's posole. There's a Mexican place close to here
that doesn't even have English on the menu (fortunately, I can read
that kind of Spanish) and they make a fabulous posole with hominy. I
have to bring a bottle of water, though, they only have the really
sweet Hispanic drinks.

> If it's about baking, I'd use "flour" and leave it at that
>=)

Semolina, farina, hominy, grits, and usually gruel are made of larger
bits of wheat than flour is.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com/

Marilee J. Layman

Oct 31, 2006, 6:51:37 PM10/31/06
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 22:11:13 +0100, Irina Rempt <ir...@valdyas.org>
wrote:

>Tina Hall wrote:
>
>> I don't want rice or - what's the African thing from potatoes, fufu,
>> couscous?. I want what my dictionary calls 'semolina'. :) (Or more
>> clearly in German: Griessbrei.)
>
>You want bulghur. From Wikipedia:
>
>The key attributes of traditional bulgur production are that the grain is
>parboiled, dried (usually by spreading in the sun) and then de-branned.
>Bulgur is often confused with cracked wheat, which is made from crushed
>wheat grains which have not been parboiled. Although traditionally
>de-branned, bulgur and cracked wheat products available in shops may or
>may not have had their bran removed. Thus there are whole-grain,
>high-fiber versions of each. Bulgur is most often found in Middle
>Eastern, Indian and Mediterranean dishes. It has a light and nutty
>flavor.
>
>(I have some; it's actually very nice when eaten instead of rice with some
>kind of sauce made from meat and/or vegetables. I get it from the Turkish
>grocery.)

When the Giant stopped carrying barley, I started getting all my
grains like that, including bulghur, from here:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/

(Cute Google logo!)

Carl Dershem

Oct 31, 2006, 8:54:39 PM10/31/06
Marilee J. Layman <mar...@mjlayman.com> wrote in

> (Cute Google logo!)

Say that three times, fast. I dare ya! :)

cd
--
The difference between immorality and immortality is "T". I like Earl
Grey.

Monique Y. Mudama

Oct 31, 2006, 9:49:54 PM10/31/06
On 2006-11-01, Tina Hall penned:

> (I wish people would stop quoting wikipedia as if it were a source
> of information. For me it doesn't have any credibility, thus
> whatever it says tells me no more than that someone wrote whatever
> it says, maybe even in good faith, but without any authority on the
> subject.)

Wikipedia is at least as reliable as any single internet source, so
you might as well say, "I wish people would stop providing links and
start giving me ISBN numbers with page numbers!"

In other words, good luck with that. It's easy enough to use
Wikipedia as a starting point and then branch out to see if other
sites agree or disagree. You seem to ask a lot of questions here
that can easily be answered with a few web searches and a bullsh*t
filter set to "medium." Or, if for some reason you think that the
printed word is more correct than the virtual word, you could also
visit your local library. On topics in which I consider myself
knowledgeable, I typically find more accurate data online than in
printed material, where books tend to be outdated and periodicals tend
to be flat-out wrong. YMMV.

I do find it slightly amusing and/or disturbing that you find wikipedia
entries suspect, but seem to accept as correct and factual all sorts of
usenet postings. The people on this group can lie or be wrong, too.

--
monique

Zeborah

Nov 1, 2006, 1:05:30 AM11/1/06
Monique Y. Mudama <sp...@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:

> Wikipedia is at least as reliable as any single internet source, so
> you might as well say, "I wish people would stop providing links and
> start giving me ISBN numbers with page numbers!"

I read something today about "Citizendium" which plans to seed itself
with Wikipedia pages but have much higher control over who edits it.
http://www.citizendium.org/ It'll be interesting to see how that works
out.

In the meantime, what I like about Wikipedia is that if I discover a
mistake on J. Random Website, I can't do a thing about it except perhaps
email the owner (if their email address is anywhere and still works and
the person is still editing their site). On Wikipedia, if I discover a
mistake I can fix it; and I can keep an eye on the page to learn new
stuff as people add it (and as a side-effect to fix any vandalism no-one
else notices before I do. Such vandalism is, fwiw, generally of the
sort that would be bleeding obvious to even the most uncritical of
readers: a random "You suck" in the middle of an encyclopaedia article
is not likely to misinform anyone.)

Zeborah
--
Gravity is no joke.
http://www.geocities.com/zeborahnz/
rasfc FAQ: http://www.lshelby.com/rasfcFAQ.html

Julian Flood

Nov 1, 2006, 2:02:06 AM11/1/06
Marilee J. Layman wrote:

> . I
> have to bring a bottle of water, though, they only have the really
> sweet Hispanic drinks.

No cold water tap?

JF

Zeborah

Nov 1, 2006, 2:18:26 AM11/1/06
Julian Flood <jul...@ooopsfloodsclimbers.co.uk> wrote:

There are places where tap water is not considered potable for one
reason or another. Startled me rather when I first encountered the
phenomenon; in Christchurch in particular we take tap water for granted,
like electricity except you never get a water cut.

Julian Flood

Nov 1, 2006, 2:14:46 AM11/1/06
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

> I do find it slightly amusing and/or disturbing that you find wikipedia
> entries suspect, but seem to accept as correct and factual all sorts of
> usenet postings. The people on this group can lie or be wrong, too.

There's a curiously skewed personality type which delights in providing
wrong information. It's OK once in a while as a joke, of course, but to
present someone who's a clueless newbie with faulty advice every time
with a deliberate is a sign of some character defect -- overcompensation
for inferiority, hugging the secret power of untruth to 'herself',
needing each time a bigger lie.

That's for person to person communication. When we fabulate a really big
lie we get to place it between hard covers and become respectable again.
See the true cause of global warming at my website*.

JF
*I push it on the comment sections of the Beeb, the Grauniad, the
Telegraph. It can only be a few months before the Nobel committee sees
it.... And I saw one cstross only the other day.

It is loading more messages.