Vowels / Arthur Rimbaud

1 view

George Dance

Feb 9, 2010, 10:24:59 PM2/9/10
Vowels

Black A, white E, red I, green U, blue O: you vowels,
Some day I'll tell the tale of where your mystery lies:
Black A, a jacket sewn from hairy, shiny flies
Which buzz among harsh stinks in the abyss's bowels;

White E, the white of kings, of moon-washed fogs and tents,
of fields of shivering chervil, glaciers' gleaming tips;
Red I, the shade of spat-up blood, the curl of lips
In laughter, anger, or besotted penitence;

Green U, vibrating waves in viridescent seas
Or verdant pastures flecked with beasts -- furrows of peace
Imprinted on our brows as if by alchemies;

Blue O, great Trumpet blaring strange and piercing cries
Through Silences where Worlds and Angels pass crosswise;
Omega, O, the violet brilliance of Her Eyes!

---
Arthur Rimbaud
translated by George Dance

George Dance

Feb 11, 2010, 9:32:04 PM2/11/10
Vowels

Black A, white E, red I, green U, blue O: you vowels,
Some day I'll tell the tale of where your mystery lies:

Black A, a jacket formed of hairy, shiny flies
That buzz among harsh stinks in the abyss's bowels;

White E, the white of kings, of moon-washed fogs and tents,
of fields of shivering chervil, glaciers' gleaming tips;
Red I, the shade of spat-up blood, the curl of lips
In laughter, anger, or besotted penitence;

Green U, vibrating waves in viridescent seas

Or peaceful pastures flecked with beasts -- furrows of peace

Imprinted on our brows as if by alchemies;

Blue O, great Trumpet blaring strange and piercing cries
Through Silences where Worlds and Angels pass crosswise;

Omega, O, the violet brilliance of Their Eyes!