Slap Stick //Rik

Rik

Dec 28, 2007, 7:26:21 AM12/28/07
*Slap* *Stick*

Imagine a copse of clown-trees,
she says, with revolving bow ties
for leaves and bright red nose buds.

Do the flowers squirt brass bees
with nectar, I ask. Oh yes,
she agrees: it is a necessary prank;

how else can the shoe seeds form?
They dangle in long pairs from the boughs,
you know, and drop with the first frost

to the hard ground, slapping down
among puff balls and stinkhorns:
who painted your face so sad?

(revised, Dec 07)

Rik, knee deep.

Dennis M. Hammes

Dec 29, 2007, 8:06:25 AM12/29/07
Rik wrote:

Something in the voice or articulation of the first worked better at
what it did. This works better overall, but has become a news item,
almost an obit of itself.
You can't let the experts talk you outta the good stuff!

--
-------(m+
~/:o)_|

George Dance

Dec 29, 2007, 1:24:33 PM12/29/07

It seems, on second look
that you're preparing a new book;
If so, don't ignore
"Untitled #4."

Rik

Dec 29, 2007, 1:45:52 PM12/29/07
Dennis M. Hammes wrote:

> Something in the voice or articulation of the first worked better at
> what it did. This works better overall, but has become a news item,
> almost an obit of itself.

I think this version works better - fewer words and no theft of someone
else's first line. The previous version seemed a bit too /earnest/ for
my taste. This version could do with a touch more work - perhaps more
circus allusions, or something ...

> You can't let the experts talk you outta the good stuff!

The only person talking me into these revision decisions is the voice in
my head. It probably suggested the changes as a retaliation for the
hangover I inflicted on it over the crimbo festivities.

Rik, knee deep.

Rik

Dec 29, 2007, 1:47:17 PM12/29/07
George Dance wrote:

> It seems, on second look
> that you're preparing a new book;
> If so, don't ignore
> "Untitled #4."

Thank you for reading and commenting, George.

I've no plans for another chapbook of poems at this stage.

Rik, knee deep.

Dennis M. Hammes

Dec 30, 2007, 2:37:17 AM12/30/07
Rik wrote:

Well, there's your trouble. The voices in your head are not talking
to you.
They're talking to me.
ME! ME! ME!