New series of Sherlock

1 view
Skip to the first unread message

Rik Shepherd

8 Jan 2012, 06:31:2508/01/2012
I'm mildly surprised no-one has commented on the start of the new series of
Sherlock last Sunday... and then I remembered I hadn't either :)

Overall, I reckon it was pretty much fun, but not totally satisfactory.

It's still stuffed with little snippets that fly past without mention and
are obviously only there for long term fans (Watson blogs about The Speckled
Blonde and The Geek Interpreter, and his hit counter appears to be stuck
permanently at 1895 - took me the best part of the week to catch that one,
even with Watson pointing out "it's forever 1895") which is good.

Irene Adler has been re-jigged for the 21st century as a highly paid
dominatrix who combines beating men with reading their emails or engaging in
lesbian romps (again on film) with minor royals. This may be a realistic
portrayal of a modern dominatrix; I wouldn't know. She seems a lot more
active and smart than Doyle's Adler, whose most notable skill, imho, might
be the ability to change clothes and arrive at someone's house before them,
which is okay. It's mildly unfortunate that she seems to have the same
relationship to Moriarty as she does in the Downey films, as that makes it
look as if someone is suffering from a lack of imagination.

Sherlock and Watson now appear to be living in a pretty exact replica of the
sitting room of the Holmes Museum on Baker Street, which I don't remember
from the first series.

But... A Scandal in Belgravia felt too long; admittedly because Holmes is
supposed to be moping and had to been seen to be moping. I'm not sure how
long he moped, but it felt like several years to me. That soured me for
what might have been a reasonable joke - summoned to a meeting, Watson
complains about Mycroft's power trips, at which point the camera pulls out
to show Watson entering the shell of Battersea Power Station (we saw what
they did there).

A minor problem was that the one element I disliked most about the last
series was Jim Moriarty, and, given the end of the last series, it was
pretty much inevitable that the second series was going to begin by being
irritating. And it did.

The main problem, for both me and Carol, was that after Sherlock has done
something stupid that's impacted badly on one of Mycroft's schemes - and
this has been the whole point of the episode - Mycroft explains the cunning
scheme, which makes almost no sense, especially if you think about
afterwards (seriously; two days later Carol and I were looking Googling
something and both, simultaneously, said "That plan of Mycroft's? It would
work, would it?").

Judith Brenan

8 Jan 2012, 15:43:0208/01/2012

"Rik Shepherd" <RikSh...@houseoftheSCAMPERINGorangemonkey.co.uk> wrote in
message news:4f097e8d$1...@news.bnb-lp.com...
But Rik, for the legion of Cumberbitches out there, the sight of Sherlock in
his sheet makes up for any plot inconsistencies!

:)

Judith in NZ

Rik Shepherd

8 Jan 2012, 17:32:4708/01/2012
Judith Brenan wrote

> But Rik, for the legion of Cumberbitches out there, the sight of Sherlock
> in his sheet makes up for any plot inconsistencies!
>
> :)

Ah, then they should have kept Sherlock in his diversionary sheet for the
whole episode... maybe switching to a hand towel for when the plot is
revealed... ;o)

On t'other hand, the episode which just finished was absolutely terrific.

Judith Brenan

8 Jan 2012, 17:58:1708/01/2012
message news:4f0a1993$1...@news.bnb-lp.com...
ooh! Was that the Baskerville hound one?

Cheers
Judith

family

8 Jan 2012, 18:08:1708/01/2012
We can only hope that they never-ever try to do a contemporary version of
the *Hound of the Baskervilles*

Rik Shepherd

8 Jan 2012, 18:31:3908/01/2012
Judith Brenan wrote

> ooh! Was that the Baskerville hound one?

It was, and very good it was too...

Rik Shepherd

8 Jan 2012, 18:40:1808/01/2012
family wrote

> We can only hope that they never-ever try to do a contemporary version of
> the *Hound of the Baskervilles*

Sorry, that was on tonight. Possibly the best of the two series so far.

Annie C

9 Jan 2012, 13:18:2609/01/2012
message news:4f0a275b$1...@news.bnb-lp.com...
> Judith Brenan wrote
>>
>> ooh! Was that the Baskerville hound one?
>
> It was, and very good it was too...

My favorite Holmes is the Hound of the B'villes.
I'm anxious to see this one, but we culturally deprived
Americanos have wait til summer :(

Annie

John Briggs

9 Jan 2012, 16:55:3809/01/2012
Unless you have a Region 2 DVD player (and a PAL television) and buy the
DVD at the end of the month...
--
John Briggs

Annie C

9 Jan 2012, 20:56:1109/01/2012

"John Briggs" <john.b...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
I do have a universal DVD player..and play UK discs all the time.
And I gifted us with every episode of Insp. Morse... <grin> I love watching
John Thaw again...

Thanks for the tip!

Annie

John Briggs

10 Jan 2012, 09:52:5110/01/2012
On 10/01/2012 01:56, Annie C wrote:
> "John Briggs"<john.b...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> On 09/01/2012 18:18, Annie C wrote:
>>> "Rik Shepherd"<RikSh...@houseoftheSCAMPERINGorangemonkey.co.uk> wrote
>>> in
>>> message news:4f0a275b$1...@news.bnb-lp.com...

>>> My favorite Holmes is the Hound of the B'villes.
>>> I'm anxious to see this one, but we culturally deprived
>>> Americanos have wait til summer :(
>>
>> Unless you have a Region 2 DVD player (and a PAL television) and buy the
>> DVD at the end of the month...
>
> I do have a universal DVD player..and play UK discs all the time.
> And I gifted us with every episode of Insp. Morse...<grin> I love watching
> John Thaw again...
>
> Thanks for the tip!

The "Sherlock" S2 disc is available from Amazon UK from about 23 Jan.
The "Endeavour" disc is available now - it dropped through my letterbox
this morning.
--
John Briggs

Bev Vincent

10 Jan 2012, 11:39:5010/01/2012

"Judith Brenan" <judith...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I liked the Irene Adler episode more than the Baskerville one. The latter
reminded me more of an episode of Fringe than a Holmes piece. There were
some interesting character moments for Holmes, but no nearly as many as in
Belgravia.
--

Bev Vincent
www.BevVincent.com

Bud

10 Jan 2012, 16:49:2610/01/2012
John Briggs wrote:

> The "Sherlock" S2 disc is available from Amazon UK from about 23 Jan.
> The "Endeavour" disc is available now - it dropped through my letterbox
> this morning.

Fall to the ground did it?
--
Bud

JayJay

11 Jan 2012, 11:13:0111/01/2012
I thought it was great, I watched it twice to pick up on the little things I
missed the first time. I am really looking forward to the next one.

JayJay
message news:4f097e8d$1...@news.bnb-lp.com...

Annie C

11 Jan 2012, 12:35:1611/01/2012
FYI Just read in a Mystery Scene Magazine email that Series 2 of
"Sherlock" (with Benedict Cumberpatch as Sherlock and Martin Freeman as Dr
Watson) will air on PBS Masterpiece Mystery in May 2012. We don't have to
wait for summer after all! Check your local listings for dates/times..

Also, Series 1 Sherlock episodes will be repeated January 15, 22 & 29.

Repeats:
February 26, The Old Curiosity Shop (Derek Jacobi)
April 1 & 8, Great Expectations (David Suchet & Gillian Anderson)
April 15, The Mystery of Edwin Drood (Matthew Rhys & Julia MacKenzie)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/schedule/index.html

Annie