Karin Alvtegen in Chicago on Thursday

1 view

Annie C

Apr 18, 2009, 7:19:23 PM4/18/09
Swedish American Museum
5211 North Clark St
Chicago, IL 60640
(just North of Foster, on Clark St.)
phone: 773.728.8111
http://www.samac.org/

Thursday, April 23, 7 p.m.

Book evening with Swedish author Karin Alvtegen
(from the website)

For the first time in more than 35 years, a Swedish writer has been
nominated for the prestigious "Edgar" award for Best Novel of the Year. The
"Edgars," named after Edgar Allan Poe, are given annually by the Mystery
Writers of America, and represent, essentially, the Oscars of the mystery
world. Nearly 600 books were submitted for consideration this year, but only
6 made the final cut. Of these, Missing, by Karin Alvtegen - already the
winner of Scandinavia's Glasnyckeln or "Glass Key" award, for Best Crime
Novel of the Year - is the first Swedish novel to earn a nomination since
1971, when Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo were nominated and won for The
Laughing Policeman, the fourth in their famous series featuring "Martin
Beck."

I plan to be there, and hope some of you might attend too.

Annie

Annie C

Apr 23, 2009, 1:35:36 PM4/23/09
Just thought I'd throw out this reminder again to anyone interested in
attending the talk and signing this evening in Chicago.

Annie
"Annie C" <cher...@nevermindspring.com> wrote in message

Annie C

Apr 23, 2009, 2:46:10 PM4/23/09
Oops
Forgot to mention her Oak Park, IL signing tomorrow evening
Friday April 24th ,7:30 pm at Barbara's Bookstore,
1100 Lake Street
Oak Park, IL 60301
phone: 708.848.9140
http://www.barbarasbookstore.com/Events/#current

Annie

"Annie C" <cher...@nevermindspring.com> wrote in message

K Barrett

Apr 23, 2009, 11:38:54 PM4/23/09
Ask her why she's not on Kindle.

K Barrett

"Annie C" <cher...@nevermindspring.com> wrote in message

Annie C

Apr 24, 2009, 11:45:55 AM4/24/09
If I'd seen this post before we left the house, I would have asked her US
publisher who was with Karin -- but it's too late. The signing was last
night. And a great one it was too! Her American publisher, btw, is Felony &
Mayhem Press in NY. This is Maggie Topkis who also is a co-owner of Partners
and Crime Bookstore in NYC.

Felony & Mayhem specializes in getting out of print books back on the
shelves, as well as publishing UK and Euro. authors in the US. Their
authors include the likes of Robert Barnard, Margery Allingham, Barry
Maitland, Peter Lovesey, Reg Hill, Caroline Graham and others of our
favorites here on RAM. Wow, look at their author list
http://felonyandmayhem.com/authors/

cheers,

Annie

"K Barrett" <morm...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

K Barrett

Apr 24, 2009, 12:03:02 PM4/24/09
Yeah, I was sure I'd missed you. My post was probably 10 pm your time.
Glad the signing went well! Sounds like Karin is a hot ticket.

K Barrett

"Annie C" <cher...@nevermindspring.com> wrote in message

Mark Alan Miller

Apr 24, 2009, 2:16:06 PM4/24/09

"Annie C" <cher...@nevermindspring.com> wrote in message

> If I'd seen this post before we left the house, I would have asked her US
> publisher who was with Karin -- but it's too late. The signing was last
> night. And a great one it was too! Her American publisher, btw, is Felony
> &
> Mayhem Press in NY. This is Maggie Topkis who also is a co-owner of
> Partners
> and Crime Bookstore in NYC.
>
> Felony & Mayhem specializes in getting out of print books back on the
> shelves, as well as publishing UK and Euro. authors in the US. Their
> authors include the likes of Robert Barnard, Margery Allingham, Barry
> Maitland, Peter Lovesey, Reg Hill, Caroline Graham and others of our
> favorites here on RAM. Wow, look at their author list
> http://felonyandmayhem.com/authors/

The Felony and Mayhem gang have wonderful taste. So many of my favorites
are being reprinted by them, and I've found a few new favorites among their
authors, too. One of my local bookstores carries many of their titles and
I'm making a point of looking for them as I've come to trust their judgment.

Mark Alan Miller