DANG, YOU ALL WRITE A LOT!

Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
This NG is tougher to keep up with than some of the e-lists that I'm on!
A day (a day? an hour!) doesn't go by without SOMEONE posting SOMETHING
that I want to answer. I flagged a bunch of those messages in
anticipation of having some time to spend doing that, and when I wasn't
looking, most of them expired from the local server. Oh well...

Anyway, the family is heading up to a nice resort hotel on Lake Erie for
a mini-vacation of sorts (Kathleen has a three day conference there for
work that coincides with the girls' spring break). I plan to sit around
the pool while the kids swim, and read the only remaining Crais book in
my TBR pile: INDIGO SLAM. Then I've got a pile of the Harlan Coben books
that someone recommended. Crais is gonna be a tough act to follow,
though.

We're taking the laptop so I'll be able to peek in, but I don't expect
to have enough time to say much or really study the rhythm of the RAM
(and figure out how I'm ever gonna keep up!) until we get back.

Maybe I'll have time to try that Coke roast then, too! (And while we're
at it, anyone got any good, meatless suggestions for the remaining
Fridays in Lent?)

--
Regards,
Mark Luebker

Stuart Shiffman & Andi Shechter

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
I make a fabulous spinach lasagne...

--
Rosc...@home.com
http://members.home.net/roscoe10/

Mystmoush

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
>Maybe I'll have time to try that Coke roast then, too! (And while we're
>at it, anyone got any good, meatless suggestions for the remaining
>Fridays in Lent?)
>
>--
>Regards,
>Mark Luebker
>On AIM: mluebker

Order pizza with just cheese and veggies, Mark.

Or (since your kiddies are a tad more adventurous than mine ever were) try the
stuffed flounder/sole that I'm sending to the vick.

Eileeeeen from Ohio

Beth Tindall

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
MarkL wrote:

> >Maybe I'll have time to try that Coke roast then, too! (And while we're
> >at it, anyone got any good, meatless suggestions for the remaining
> >Fridays in Lent?)

try the Mexi-fried rice recipe I sent to Vicki -- it's a great meal
without meat (she has it down as a side dish, but I dish up a lot of it,
set out some Scoops (Fritos) or make a cheese quesadilla to go with.).
Sluuuuuuuuuuurp.

second fav meatless meal (tie): pasta primavera or veggie fajitas.
Recipe: Go to closest good salad bar. Buy lots of cut up veggies. Add
more green onions. Add more brocolli. Stir fry with a bit of olive oil.
Serve with tortillas or pasta. Watch husband dive for the phone to order
meat lovers pizza.

Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Stuart Shiffman & Andi Shechter wrote:

> I make a fabulous spinach lasagne...

I mix spinach with that soy-based fake sausage for vegetarian lasagna. Pretty
good, but once I went overboard and used nothing but fat free "cheeses" with
it. That was pretty horrible--the only time I ever actually threw away
leftovers.

Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Eileeeeen wrote:

> Order pizza with just cheese and veggies, Mark.

HAH! You're WAY to practical, Eileeeeen! They like MAKING their own
pizzas--usually cheese and black olive--which somehow ends up turning the entire
kitchen inside out.

> Or (since your kiddies are a tad more adventurous than mine ever were) try the
> stuffed flounder/sole that I'm sending to the vick.

I'll be looking for that one. The kids won't eat it though. Emmy (the middle one)
absolutely HATES all forms of seafood, and the oldest--although she loved broiled
fish in butter when she was younger--isn't a big fish eater, either.

BTW, our imminent mini-vacation will be up in Sandusky.

Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Beth Tindall wrote:

> try the Mexi-fried rice recipe I sent to Vicki -- it's a great meal
> without meat (she has it down as a side dish, but I dish up a lot of it,
> set out some Scoops (Fritos) or make a cheese quesadilla to go with.).
> Sluuuuuuuuuuurp.

Gotta look for that. I make a saffron rice with a sauce made from store-bought
chunky taco sauce mixed with black beans and topped with cheese, and
quesadillas are an easy sell around here. (We lived in Mexico City for nearly
four years, then Texas for two more.)

They also love molletes, which are basically big, hard rolls split open,
topped with refried beans and a thick slice of mozzarella (or Mexican farmer
cheese, if you can get it) and grilled face down until the cheese is browned
and crusty. Top that with homemade pico de gallo (tomatoes and sweet onions
with a couple of serrano chiles and a handful of fresh cilantro all chopped
together and liberally salted).

> second fav meatless meal (tie): pasta primavera...

I needed to punt for something that Kathleen and I would eat on Ash Wednesday
(the girls were having Kraft macaroni and cheese), and I made something like
that:
a box of one of those Lipton noodles and cheese mix (this one was four cheeses
with rotini noodles), to which I added a can of diced tomatoes, some sliced
fresh mushrooms and some frozen broccoli. (I used the juice from the tomatoes
to make the noodle mix.) I added a handful of shredded "Mexican blend" cheese,
stuck it all in a casserole, topped it with a dusting of bread crumbs and
Parmesan cheese, and backed it for about 20 minutes. Had that with a fresh
green salad and raspberry vinaigrette with walnut dressing.

> Recipe: Go to closest good salad bar. Buy lots of cut up veggies. Add
> more green onions. Add more brocolli. Stir fry with a bit of olive oil.
> Serve with tortillas or pasta.

This I'm gonna try. I love stir fry and use a ton of olive oil these days.
(Although I don't use it for pancakes or crepes like my mother-in-law does...)

> Watch husband dive for the phone to order meat lovers pizza.

Most days I'm willing to do that, too! But not Fridays during lent!

Judi

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
> Eileeeeen wrote:
> > Or (since your kiddies are a tad more adventurous than mine ever were) try the
> > stuffed flounder/sole that I'm sending to the vick.

Eileeeen, did you happen to get that recipe from Taste of Home magazine?
I make it using that recipe, with a few additions of my own, and it's fabulous.

Mark why don't you try my Mac&Cheese recipe on Vicki's page. I don't normally like
mac&cheese but this is really good.

judi

Greenbanks

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
>or make a cheese quesadilla to go with.).

I need help on how to successfully make a quesadilla... (I know, how hard can
it be??? but I couldn't make the edges stick together so the cheese all ooozed
out the sides. ) What's the trick? I've taken to buying them pre-made, but
that's too expensive.

Then I'll be able to share the spinach-rice casserole I made up to go with
them...
M'Lou

Greenbanks

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
>BTW, our imminent mini-vacation will be up in Sandusky.
>Regards,
>Mark Luebker

Hope you have a wonderful time... Remember -- you will be tested on all
material covered while you're gone!
M'Lou

C. W. Cale

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax wrote:
> I mix spinach with that soy-based fake sausage for vegetarian lasagna. Pretty
> good, but once I went overboard and used nothing but fat free "cheeses" with
> it. That was pretty horrible--the only time I ever actually threw away
> leftovers.
> Regards,
> Mark Luebker
> On AIM: mluebker

"Fat FREE" cheese...
That IS a mystery! Wouldn't that be like ANTI-MATTER?
-and by the way, I will never buy those odd Meat Shaped soy products
again! Yuck? I just use good old Tofu like GAWD intended (and as you
know I spoke to him recently concerning certain blasphemies)
Try using Tofu, you get a much better reslut and the dish still has a
good consistancy.
-- (my $.02)
--"Charlie!" he said.
((
http://www.flash.net/~chally/ /\ /\ ))
"...there's only one way to win, >o~o< --feed me?
don't be the mouse." (")^(")

Mary Askew

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax wrote:

> Maybe I'll have time to try that Coke roast then, too! (And while we're
> at it, anyone got any good, meatless suggestions for the remaining
> Fridays in Lent?)
>
> --

Grilled Salmon, swordfish, halibut;fried scallops; steamed mussels;
monkfish sauteed with red peppers and garlic: if you insist on penance,
codfish cakes.

Mary

Mary Askew

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax wrote:

> I'll be looking for that one. The kids won't eat it though. Emmy (the middle one)
> absolutely HATES all forms of seafood, and the oldest--although she loved broiled
> fish in butter when she was younger--isn't a big fish eater, either.

Then, you grownups get the seafood and the kids can have peanut
butter and jelly or scrambled eggs.
cheers,
Mary

Tama Filipas

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Wow. I can feel that fish-sticks-for-dinner gag reflex kicking in just
like when I was 10.

Tama

Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Greenbanks wrote:

> I need help on how to successfully make a quesadilla... (I know, how hard can
> it be??? but I couldn't make the edges stick together so the cheese all ooozed
> out the sides. ) What's the trick? I've taken to buying them pre-made, but
> that's too expensive.

Urk! You mean they AREN'T successful with the cheese oozing out?

Actually, when I make 'em, I fold them over a couple of times so I end up with a
narrower thing--almost like a flattened burrito. (And I have the cheese all
throughout, kind of like a jelly roll...)

Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Mary Askew wrote:

> Mark Luebker wrote:
> > Maybe I'll have time to try that Coke roast then, too! (And while we're
> > at it, anyone got any good, meatless suggestions for the remaining
> > Fridays in Lent?)
>

> Grilled Salmon, swordfish, halibut;fried scallops; steamed mussels;
> monkfish sauteed with red peppers and garlic: if you insist on penance,
> codfish cakes.

It all sounds WONDERFUL to me, but I have these two daughters who think
seafood is a punishment of some kind...

Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Mary Askew wrote:

> Then, you grownups get the seafood and the kids can have peanut
> butter and jelly or scrambled eggs.

...more often than you might imagine!

Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Tama Filipas wrote:

> Wow. I can feel that fish-sticks-for-dinner gag reflex kicking in just
> like when I was 10.

Am I the only person in the world who looked FORWARD to fish sticks? (And a
little cup of tartar sauce to dip 'em in!)

Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
"C. W. Cale" wrote:

> "Fat FREE" cheese...
> That IS a mystery! Wouldn't that be like ANTI-MATTER?

Well, I haven't tasted anti-matter, but fat-free cheese is close to what I'd
imagine it to taste like.

> -and by the way, I will never buy those odd Meat Shaped soy products
> again!

I have to admit to a fondness for Gardenburgers and for that fake ground beef and
sausage that works so well in my black bean chili and my lasagna. And this past
Thanksgiving my sister showed up at Mom's with a soy "turkey" for herself and my
brother. (Unfortunately, my brother was down here...)

> Yuck? I just use good old Tofu like GAWD intended (and as you
> know I spoke to him recently concerning certain blasphemies)

I thought tofu was Japanese for "God's vengeance."

> Try using Tofu, you get a much better reslut and the dish still has a
> good consistancy.

I've been tempted to use tofu in stir fry, but for stuff like chili and lasagna,
I'm really a lazy cook and appreciate that the soy products already look and taste
pretty close to the real stuff. (The kids can't even tell the difference in the
chili.)

JLS411

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00

In article <38CA97...@javanet.com>, Mary wrote:

<< Grilled Salmon, swordfish, halibut;fried scallops; steamed mussels;
monkfish sauteed with red peppers and garlic: >>

Anybody else hungry?

Jenni :-)
Never be afraid to try something new; remember, amateurs built the Ark, and
professionals built the Titanic.
--Anon.

Carol Schwaderer Dickinson

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Greenbanks wrote:

> >or make a cheese quesadilla to go with.).
>
> I need help on how to successfully make a quesadilla... (I know, how hard can
> it be??? but I couldn't make the edges stick together so the cheese all ooozed
> out the sides. )

Umm I learned what a quesadilla was from our favorite restaurant run by
real Mexicans. Their quesadilla is not sealed and the cheese oozes a
bit.

The way I make them at home is I warm the flour torilla under the
broiler for about half a minute because I buy them in bulk and they are
frozen.

As soon as the tortilla is warm but not browned, I quickly spinkle
grated four cheese mix or mexicheese mix and chopped onion. I slip it
back under the broiler for about 90 seconds or so until the cheese is
melty but not browned. Fold in half and cut into 4 wedges with a pizza
cutter. The cheese doesn't escape as much if I cut from the edge to the
fold. If you cut from the fold toward the edge a lot of the cheese
squishes out.

carol

Carol Schwaderer Dickinson

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax wrote:

> Tama Filipas wrote:
>
> > Wow. I can feel that fish-sticks-for-dinner gag reflex kicking in just
> > like when I was 10.
>
> Am I the only person in the world who looked FORWARD to fish sticks? (And a
> little cup of tartar sauce to dip 'em in!)
> --
> Regards,
> Mark Luebker
> On AIM: mluebker

No. My husband loves them, especially when I am nauseated and can't
hardly stand the smell of them. His appetite for them almost always
coincides with my flu or a sinus infection which requires I take
antibiotics which name me intolerant to fishy smells. Sigh.

Carol

Hurricane7

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
According to my resident cook (ya my husband!) he warms the quesadilla in
the frying pan, then puts cheese over the whole surface, then he puts
whatever else only on half of the quesadilla...when the cheese is melty,
fold over and voila! the cheese acts as glue....yummmmmm
Patricia
Greenbanks <green...@aol.commonsense> wrote in message

> >or make a cheese quesadilla to go with.).
>
> I need help on how to successfully make a quesadilla... (I know, how hard
can
> it be??? but I couldn't make the edges stick together so the cheese all
ooozed
> out the sides. ) What's the trick? I've taken to buying them pre-made,
but
> that's too expensive.

Lois [OH]

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
We alternated. Fish sticks one Friday. Fried potatoes
and creamed tomatoes the next.
Lois
vickij <websp...@booksnbytes.com> wrote in message
Kathleen
Fairfax <mlue...@home.com> scribbled on the wall and
said:

]Am I the only person in the world who looked FORWARD to

fish sticks? (And a
]little cup of tartar sauce to dip 'em in!)

YES!

vicki
[also a webspinner]
http://www.booksnbytes.com
ICQ #10733611

Mystmoush

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
>BTW, our imminent mini-vacation will be up in Sandusky.
>
>--
>Regards,
>Mark Luebker
>On AIM: mluebker

That's way west of me, Mark, but a nice area. Where/what are you going to be
doing there? Cedar Point is closed now, isn't it?

Eileeeeen from Ohio

Mystmoush

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
>"Fat FREE" cheese...
>That IS a mystery! Wouldn't that be like ANTI-MATTER?
>-and by the way, I will never buy those odd Meat Shaped soy products
>again! Yuck? I just use good old Tofu like GAWD intended (and as you

>know I spoke to him recently concerning certain blasphemies)
> Try using Tofu, you get a much better reslut and the dish still has a
>good consistancy.
>-- (my $.02)
>--"Charlie!" he said.
> ((
> http://www.flash.net/~chally/ /\ /\ ))
>"...there's only one way to win, >o~o< --feed me?
> don't be the mouse." (")^(")

Tofu?? TOFU??? Blech.

Is a 'reslut' when you've 'slutted' once and gone back 'to slut' once more?
Had a girl in my dorm at college that was like that. . ..

Also I once had 'dijon vu' when I knew I'd had that mustard before. . .

Eileeeeen from Ohio

Juliette

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
My favourite Friday dish is something I call pumpkin pasta (but as this
involves lots of pumpkin kids may not like it). Basically its pumpkin,
garlic, fresh chilli and pasta cooked together and tastes incredible! The
chilli is optional for those not into hot.
Juliette

C. W. Cale

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
vickij wrote:

> Fairfax <mlue...@home.com> scribbled on the wall and said:
>
> ]Am I the only person in the world who looked FORWARD to fish sticks? (And a
> ]little cup of tartar sauce to dip 'em in!)
>
> YES!
> vicki

YES!
--"Charlie!" he said.

C. W. Cale

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
Mystmoush wrote:
> Is a 'reslut' when you've 'slutted' once and gone back 'to slut' once more?
> Had a girl in my dorm at college that was like that. . ..
> Also I once had 'dijon vu' when I knew I'd had that mustard before. . .
> Eileeeeen from Ohio

Ahh HA! I nearly won big here! I HAD put Eileeeeen to win, Beth to
place and Judi to show with Carleen as wildcard as to who would catch
that tempting typo!
Shoulda bet bigger!
--

--"Charlie!" he said.
((

"...there's only one way to win, >o~o< --typost time?

C. W. Cale

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax wrote:
> BTW, our imminent mini-vacation will be up in Sandusky.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mark Luebker
> On AIM: mluebker

SANNNN-DUSKY!!!!
Slowwwly I turned...
step by step...
inch by inch...

--"Charlie!" he said.
"Had to be said," he said.

"...there's only one way to win, >o~o< --yeah?

C. W. Cale

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00

No, no no no ! Lay the recipe on us J!
I can't just fake this! (but what CAN I fake?)
This actually sounds fun!
--
--"Charlie!" he said.

"...there's only one way to win, >o~o< --no mice?

Greenbanks

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
>warms the quesadilla in
>the frying pan, then puts cheese over the whole surface, then he puts
>whatever else only on half of the quesadilla...when the cheese is melty,
>fold over and voila! the cheese acts as glue....
>Patricia

Thanks Patricia! And Mark and Carol... I think I feel confident to try again,
incorporating all the suggestions and not getting too worried about a little
oooozy cheese... yummy!
M'Lou

Greenbanks

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
>5-6 cups of cubed pumpkin. I use butternut or jap (depends what you have
>avail but basically a sweet pumpkin is better)

can anyone say for sure if this is what we Merkins call pumpkin? or winter
squash?

it sounds delicious!
M'Lou

Shirley E Nienkark

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
In article <38C99C79...@home.com>, Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax
<mlue...@home.com> wrote:
(snip)

> Maybe I'll have time to try that Coke roast then, too! (And while we're
> at it, anyone got any good, meatless suggestions for the remaining
> Fridays in Lent?)

Boil a bunch of noodles. Add a 20oz. pkg of brocolli & cauliflower (or a
10 oz. pkg of each), a can of mushroom soup, and grated cheese. Put in a
greased casserole dish, sprinkle more grated cheese on top and bake 30 to
40 minutes @ 350. Enjoy.

Mark Alan Miller

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00

Mystmoush <myst...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >"Fat FREE" cheese...
> >That IS a mystery! Wouldn't that be like ANTI-MATTER?
> >-and by the way, I will never buy those odd Meat Shaped soy
products
> >again! Yuck? I just use good old Tofu like GAWD intended (and as
you
> >know I spoke to him recently concerning certain blasphemies)
> > Try using Tofu, you get a much better reslut and the dish still
has a
> >good consistancy.
> >-- (my $.02)
> >--"Charlie!" he said.
> > ((
> > http://www.flash.net/~chally/ /\ /\ ))
> >"...there's only one way to win, >o~o< --feed me?

> > don't be the mouse." (")^(")
> >

> Tofu?? TOFU??? Blech.

> Is a 'reslut' when you've 'slutted' once and gone back 'to slut'
once more?
> Had a girl in my dorm at college that was like that. . ..
>
> Also I once had 'dijon vu' when I knew I'd had that mustard before.
. .

> Eileeeeen from Ohio

That can't be right. It's only slutting if you do it once. After
that it's a proto-relationship.

Mark Alan Miller

Mark Alan Miller

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
I liked them, too. Though we had to put our tartar sauce on the
plate. Using a little cup would have been wasteful. The ugly part
was leftover fishsticks the next day, cold from the refrigerator,
with the breading all rumpled and rubbery. That was enough to give
anyone nightmares.

Mark Alan Miller

Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax <mlue...@home.com> wrote in message

> Tama Filipas wrote:
>
> > Wow. I can feel that fish-sticks-for-dinner gag reflex kicking in
just
> > like when I was 10.
>

> Am I the only person in the world who looked FORWARD to fish
sticks? (And a
> little cup of tartar sauce to dip 'em in!)

E...@excite.co.uk

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
In article <snienkar-2...@ts22-2.homenet.ohio-state.edu>,
Shirley E Nienkark <snie...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> writes

Yummm!
--
Ev

Ed Grabau & Pam Jacoby

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
Mark Luebker & Kathleen Fairfax wrote:

> Maybe I'll have time to try that Coke roast then, too! (And while we're
> at it, anyone got any good, meatless suggestions for the remaining
> Fridays in Lent?)

Fettucine Alfredo
Minestrone
Pasta Primavera (sp?)
Enchiladas made with refried beans

NOODLES ROMANOFF
8 Servings

8 oz Wide Egg Noodles
2 Tbls Butter, Melted
12 oz Sour Cream
1/3 Cup Flour
1 1/2 Cups Cottage Cheese, Cream Style, Small Curd
4 Green Onions, w/Tops, Minced Fine
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Dash Tabasco Sauce
2 tspGarlic Salt

Cook the noodles according to package directions until just barely
tender. Rinse in cold water. Drain. Toss with the butter. Mix the
sour cream and flour in a large bowl. Stir in the cottage cheese, green
onions, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce and garlic salt. Add the
noodles. Stir thoroughly to coat. Thoroughly grease the slow cooker.
Pour the noodle mixture into the slow cooker. Cover. Cook on LOW for 4
to 6 hours. Serve hot.

CHEESE FONDUE

1/2 large garlic clove
1 1/2 c. dry white wine or beer
1/2 lb Emmenthaler, coarsely grated
1/2 lb Gruyčre, coarsely grated
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Rub inside of sauce pan with garlic. Add wine/beer and bring almost to
a boil. Dredge cheese in flour and slowly add to the wine/beer,
stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper. Serve with cubes of coarse,
crusty bread for dipping.

TARTE A L'OIGNON

For pastry dough
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
1 teaspoon salt
4 to 8 tablespoons ice water
raw rice for weighting shell

For filling
1 pound onions (about 2 large), chopped
2 tablespoons lard (need a substitute here)
1 large egg
1/2 cup heavy cream
a pinch freshly grated nutmeg

Make pastry dough:
Preheat oven to 425°F.

In a bowl with a pastry blender or with a food processor blend or pulse
together flour, butter, and salt until mixture resembles meal. Add 4
tablespoons ice water and toss or pulse until water is incorporated. If
necessary add enough remaining ice water to form a dough and form into a
disk. Lightly dust dough with flour and chill, wrapped in wax paper, 1
hour.

On a lightly floured surface roll out dough 1/8 inch thick and fit into
a 9 1/2 inch round tart pan with a removable fluted rim. Prick bottom of
shell lightly with a fork and chill 30 minutes. Line shell with foil and
fill with rice. Bake shell in lower third of oven for 10 minutes. Remove
rice and foil and bake shell until pale golden, 5 to 10 minutes more.
Let shell cool in pan on rack.

Reduce heat to 375°F.

Make filling: In a large heavy skillet cook onions in lard over
moderately high heat, stirring, until very soft and golden, about 15
minutes. Transfer onions to a bowl to cool. In a small bowl whisk
together remaining filling ingredients and salt and pepper to taste and
whisk in onions.

Pour filling into prepared shell and bake in middle of oven until
filling is set and top is lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.

Serves 6 to 8

FETTUCCINE WITH FRESH TOMATOES AND MOZZARELLA

2 pounds plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 cup mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 large garlic clove, crushed

3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 pound fettuccine

Servings: 4

Combine the tomatoes and mozzarella in a medium-size bowl. Add the oil,
garlic and seasonings and stir will. These ingredients may be prepared
in advance and refrigerated until needed. When ready to use, return to
room temperature.

In a large pot of boiling water, cook the fettuccine according to the
package directions. Drain well and place the pasta on a platter.

Adorn the fettuccine with the fresh tomato sauce and serve at once.

MONTEREY SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE

4 oz cooked spaghetti
1 beaten egg
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 10-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 2.8-oz can Durkee onions

Preheat oven to 350. In medium bowl, combine egg, sour cream, parmesan
and garlic powder. Stir in Monterey Jack cheese, spaghetti, spinach and
1/2 can Durkee onions. Pour into 8-inch square baking dish. Bake,
covered for 30 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining
onions; bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown.

Mushroom Bean Soup

3/4 pound young green beans
or 1 10 oz package frozen cut beans
6 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
8 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup pearl barley
1/2 teaspoon tarragon
6 to 8 sliced mushrooms
or 1 4 oz can, drained
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

If using fresh beans, trim the ends and line up on a cutting board a
handful at a time. Chop until beans are the size of peas. If frozen,
thaw and chop as above. In medium saucepan heat 6 tablespoons butter
until it foams, and add onion, garlic and celery. Cover and cook for 8
minutes. Add the chopped beans and continue to cook, covered, for an
additional 10 minutes over medium-low heat. Pour the chicken stock into
the saucepan with the vegetables. Add the barley and tarragon. Bring
to a gentle boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile saute the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter over medium
heat for 10 minutes. Set aside. When the soup has cooked for 30
minutes, transfer the mushrooms to the saucepan. Simmer for 15 more
minutes and then remove from heat. Whisk together the flour and sour
cream. Beat 1 cup of the hot soup gradually into the sour cream. While
stirring, slowly pour the sour cream mixture back into the saucepan.
Serve hot with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.

Pam

Mary Askew

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
Greenbanks wrote:

> >5-6 cups of cubed pumpkin. I use butternut or jap (depends what you have
> >avail but basically a sweet pumpkin is better)
>
> can anyone say for sure if this is what we Merkins call pumpkin? or winter
> squash?

That's my bet and I think we'd call the result "soup" but it does
sound good!
cheers,
Mary

Mary Askew

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
Juliette wrote:

> > That's my bet and I think we'd call the result "soup" but it does
> > sound good!
>
> that's the trick - not to make soup!
> Juliette

A question: do you cook the pasta separately before combining?

cheers,
Mary

Juliette

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
> No, no no no ! Lay the recipe on us J!
> I can't just fake this! (but what CAN I fake?)
> This actually sounds fun!
> --
> --"Charlie!" he said.

well the recipe is a bit difficult because, well basically, I don't have one
but here goes:
(I'll even try those Yankee conversions :-)
250gms (8.3oz) of curl shape dried pasta (called various names but I go by
shape)

5-6 cups of cubed pumpkin. I use butternut or jap (depends what you have
avail but basically a sweet pumpkin is better)

2 small fresh chilli chopped finely (optional) (I don't know if they have a
name - they're off my chilli tree)
1-2 teaspoons of crushed garlic (to taste)
1 dessert spoon of salt
1 tablespoon of olive oil
splash of extra virgin olive oil
sufficient water to cover pumpkin and pasta approx 2 litres (4 pints approx)

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, 5 litre (1.3 gallon approx) is ideal.
Add garlic and pumpkin and cook for 2 to 3 minutes then add the chilli.
Stir. Add enough of the water (about 1 litre) to cover the pumpkin and
allow the water to come to the boil continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
Add another litre of water to the pot, when the water is boiling rapidly add
pasta and salt. Stir to combine. Reduce the temperature so the water boils
gently. After 15 minutes of cooking the pumpkin and the pasta should be
cooking together, at this time adjust the heat to a simmer and put on the
lid, stir occasionally. After a further 15 minutes the pasta should be
done, then mash the mixture together with a splash of extra virgin and
serve.

It sounds weird but everyone I serve it to love it! If anyone tries it and
it works for you let me know.
Juliette

Juliette

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00

Joan

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
Thats like Fat Free Mayo.

>"C. W. Cale" wrote:
>
>> "Fat FREE" cheese...
>> That IS a mystery! Wouldn't that be like ANTI-MATTER?
>

>Well, I haven't tasted anti-matter, but fat-free cheese is close to what I'd
>imagine it to taste like.
>

>> -and by the way, I will never buy those odd Meat Shaped soy products
>> again!
>

>I have to admit to a fondness for Gardenburgers and for that fake ground beef
>and
>sausage that works so well in my black bean chili and my lasagna. And this
>past
>Thanksgiving my sister showed up at Mom's with a soy "turkey" for herself and
>my
>brother. (Unfortunately, my brother was down here...)
>

>> Yuck? I just use good old Tofu like GAWD intended (and as you
>> know I spoke to him recently concerning certain blasphemies)
>

>I thought tofu was Japanese for "God's vengeance."
>

>> Try using Tofu, you get a much better reslut and the dish still has a
>> good consistancy.
>

>I've been tempted to use tofu in stir fry, but for stuff like chili and
>lasagna,
>I'm really a lazy cook and appreciate that the soy products already look and
>taste
>pretty close to the real stuff. (The kids can't even tell the difference in
>the
>chili.)

>--
>Regards,
>Mark Luebker
>On AIM: mluebker

Regards!
Joan

AIM
JoanDeArk
ICQ
4662209

C. W. Cale

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
Joan wrote:
> Thats like Fat Free Mayo.
> >"C. W. Cale" wrote:
> >> "Fat FREE" cheese...
> >> That IS a mystery! Wouldn't that be like ANTI-MATTER?
> Regards!
> Joan

Yes who do these physically impossible oxymorons exist when nature
abhors a vacuum?
--
--"Charlie" he said.

http://www.flash.net/~chally/
/\ /\
No Dogma >o~o< Just Catharsis
(")^(")
"calico-city"

Juliette

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
> A question: do you cook the pasta separately before combining?
>
> cheers,
> Mary

No, the pasta cooks in with the pumpkin - similar to making a risotto
(another favourite of mine) that's why it needs so much water.
Juliette

Beth Tindall

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
"C. W. Cale" wrote:

> Mystmoush wrote:
> > Is a 'reslut' when you've 'slutted' once and gone back 'to slut' once more?
> > Had a girl in my dorm at college that was like that. . ..
> > Also I once had 'dijon vu' when I knew I'd had that mustard before. . .
> > Eileeeeen from Ohio
>
> Ahh HA! I nearly won big here! I HAD put Eileeeeen to win, Beth to
> place and Judi to show with Carleen as wildcard as to who would catch
> that tempting typo!
> Shoulda bet bigger!

not fair!! I've been offline for over 24 hours, with the tempermental
computer from hell refusing to boot up....8 days til my new lapper get
here...

Beth (counting down)

C. W. Cale

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00

What happened to the OLD lapper? Fight over the weekend?

Beth Tindall

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
"C. W. Cale" wrote:

> What happened to the OLD lapper? Fight over the weekend?

this Toshiba has been the laptop from hell. Random pieces of hardware
quit working. We can't download the drivers from the website because
Toshiba wouldn't get extra repair money that way. Two weeks ago, the
power stem on the back of the lapper (where you plug in the cord) broke,
so when I was almost out of battery power, we sent it back to T. for
repair. Came back with a short in it. Can't power on and off reliably.
Click start 37 times, you might get it to think about booting up. <sigh>
Rather than turn around and send it back in AGAIN (5th time, 6th time in
2 years??) we said F**K it and ordered a brand new Dell with more power,
baybeeeeeeee. Note, it's my job's lapper, so it's not like the hit the
lottery or sumthin and chose to get a computer rather than books. That
would just be silly.

Beth (7 days til Dell savior arrives)

Judi

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
> Mystmoush wrote:
> > Is a 'reslut' when you've 'slutted' once and gone back 'to slut' once more?
> > Had a girl in my dorm at college that was like that. . ..
> > Also I once had 'dijon vu' when I knew I'd had that mustard before. . .
> > Eileeeeen from Ohio

> "C. W. Cale" wrote:
> Ahh HA! I nearly won big here! I HAD put Eileeeeen to win, Beth to
> place and Judi to show with Carleen as wildcard as to who would catch
> that tempting typo!
> Shoulda bet bigger!

> --"Charlie!" he said.

I missed that one, to close to home maybe....

judi

Kathleen Fairfax

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
Mystmoush wrote:

> That's way west of me, Mark, but a nice area. Where/what are you going to be
> doing there? Cedar Point is closed now, isn't it?

A professional group that Kathleen belongs to is having their annual convention
here later this year, and she's on the committee that's scoping the place out. So
yeah, Cedar Point IS closed right now, but the girls are on spring break, the
hotel is nice, the pool isn't crowded, and we have a great big suite to knock
around in.

And it just occurred to me as I prepare to send this note, I have NO idea whose
name will show up on the "From" line, since it's the laptop from Kathleen's
office...

Regards,
Mark Luebker (really!)

carl wally

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
The very idea appalls.
--
carlB
INNER PASSAGES: July, 2000

C. W. Cale

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Beth Tindall wrote:

> "C. W. Cale" wrote:
> > What happened to the OLD lapper? Fight over the weekend?
>
> <snip>Note, it's my job's lapper, so it's not like the hit the

> lottery or sumthin and chose to get a computer rather than books. That
> would just be silly.
> Beth (7 days til Dell savior arrives)

Oooookay you skirted my all-too-easy double entendre, but you came up
with an INCREDIBLE protagonist name!

[ He dropped a business card next to my latte and lifted my chin til my
eyes met his gaze, "Dell Savior, CPA! I hear tell you may need someone
to help you clear up a... spot of trouble?" His smoke grey eyes locked
onto mine. "I might be just the guy. You see, I know all about...
trouble.]

It works with a lot of different job titles, you could play "Mystery
Date" with it.
"Dell Savior, Consumer Watchdog"
"Dell Savior, District Attorney"
"Dell Savior, CBS News, Belfast."
"Dell Savior, U.S. Embassador"
"Dell Savior, Choreanimator"
"Dell Savior, OB-GYN" (Eww, maybe not!)
"Dell Savior, Head Coach"
"Dell Savior, Shadowy Figure"
But I digress, how come you're all like "Ms. Tart City cyber-janitor"
alla the sudden? I never saw the job posting! I read that and I was
all like Gaww! and now I'm all like CHICK!? but if I had THAT gig I'd
be all like WHAT? and they be all like DUDE! And I'd be all like
WHAAAT-EVER!

Beth Tindall

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
"C. W. Cale" wrote:

> Oooookay you skirted my all-too-easy double entendre, but you came up
> with an INCREDIBLE protagonist name!

<snipped some VERY funny stuff>

ROTFL, great work Charlie!! ClapClapClap!!

> But I digress, how come you're all like "Ms. Tart City cyber-janitor"
> alla the sudden? I never saw the job posting! I read that and I was
> all like Gaww! and now I'm all like CHICK!? but if I had THAT gig I'd
> be all like WHAT? and they be all like DUDE! And I'd be all like
> WHAAAT-EVER!

Katy begged me, bribed me (free books, harumph, I ain't seen none yet!)
and pleaded with me to give Sparkle a break. Seems Sparkle stopped using
complete sentences about 2 weeks before the website was done, and they
feared for her writing career. Katy looked around for an innocent young
thang to lure into her web of tartness...and :poof: there I was,
nominated as a Tart-in-training. Mostly I just stay sober, and carry the
breath mints and bail money. <shrug> someone's got to do it.

Beth, Tart-in-Training

KATYMUNGER

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
<< Katy begged me, bribed me (free books, harumph, I ain't seen none yet!) >>

Ooops! I'll try and get them to you a little sooner than poor Jon had to
endure-- what was it, nine months before promise and arrival, Jon?

Katy

carl wally

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
How about
Dell Saviour, gone AND forgotten?

Ellen Conford

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Charlie, I hate to say this to such a nice guy, but you really ought to
be writing.

Ellen
(forgive me, but I just couldn't keep it bottled up any longer)

C. W. Cale

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Beth Tindall wrote:
> Katy begged me, bribed me (free books, harumph, I ain't seen none yet!)
> and pleaded with me to give Sparkle a break. Seems Sparkle stopped using
> complete sentences about 2 weeks before the website was done, and they
> feared for her writing career. Katy looked around for an innocent young
> thang to lure into her web of tartness...and :poof: there I was,
> nominated as a Tart-in-training. Mostly I just stay sober, and carry the
> breath mints and bail money. <shrug> someone's got to do it.
> Beth, Tart-in-Training

HA HA HA HA ... Ohh I sense trouble in YOUR world! Can even the
dashing Dell Savior pull our Beth out of this one unscathed!
Betty Ford reservations on standby!

Hurricane7

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
About the time Chapters.ca will be sending mine Katy *giggle*
Patricia who just couldn't bite her tongue