An editor offers deep insight into my failures as a writer

Bev Vincent

Jul 17, 2009, 3:30:29 PM7/17/09

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 17, 2009, 4:00:56 PM7/17/09
In article <h3qjgl$imu$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Bev Vincent <MaxD...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/apparently-i-write-like-a-girl

Bummer.

Still, I suppose that one day, like Aeneas, you'll look back
on it all and laugh.

It reminds me of a letter from Edna St. Vincent Millay
(female), early in her career, who submitted a poem to a
magazine and had it published, but with comments by the
editor to the effect of "This poem obviously couldn't have
been written by a woman; it's too strong. Some burly male is
hiding behind a female pseudonym." She wrote back, insisting
that she was indeed female, and barely adult, and about five
feet tall, and ending "The brawny male includes his
photograph. I have to laugh."

Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at hotmail dot com
Should you wish to email me, you'd better use the hotmail edress.
Kithrup is getting too damn much spam, even with the sysop's filters.

Pogonip

Jul 17, 2009, 4:59:03 PM7/17/09
Bev Vincent wrote:
> http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/apparently-i-write-like-a-girl

Thank you for sticking by your guns and withdrawing your story. My only
request is that when this collection is published, you let us know the
title, etc., because I certainly don't want to waste my book money on
it. An editor can make or break such a volume, and this one is
undoubtedly broken.

What if all writers eschewed names and used only initials?
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com

Bev Vincent

Jul 17, 2009, 5:10:21 PM7/17/09

"Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote in message

> Bev Vincent wrote:
>> http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/apparently-i-write-like-a-girl
>>

> Thank you for sticking by your guns and withdrawing your story. My only
> request is that when this collection is published, you let us know the
> title, etc., because I certainly don't want to waste my book money on it.
> An editor can make or break such a volume, and this one is undoubtedly
> broken.
>
> What if all writers eschewed names and used only initials?

Will do. I'm hoping this unidentified secondary editor will be credited in
the acknowledgements so I can find out who s/he is at last!

--

Bev Vincent
www.BevVincent.com

Message has been deleted

Jim Gysin

Jul 17, 2009, 6:36:23 PM7/17/09

Bev Vincent sent the following on 7/17/2009 2:30 PM:
> http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/apparently-i-write-like-a-girl

Now, now. Don't go getting your panties in a bunch.

Okay, now that I got that no-brainer smart-aleck line out of the way, I
can only say that I hope that this particular editor finds himself
looking for a new career soon. The publishing biz has enough problems
without another moron making editing decisions.

And just out of curiosity, are there any examples that can be tossed out
there of this particular editor accepting stories written by a man about
a *female* protagonist? I'm thinking that someone could have a lot of
fun with this at this editor's expense...

--
Jim Gysin
Waukesha, WI

Dave in Toronto

Jul 17, 2009, 6:47:18 PM7/17/09
On Jul 17, 6:24 pm, Mike Burke <mbu...@pcug.org.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:59:03 -0700, Pogonip <nobo...@nowhere.org>
> wrote:
>
> >Bev Vincent wrote:
> >>http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/apparently-i-write-like-a-girl
>
> >Thank you for sticking by your guns and withdrawing your story.  My only
> >request is that when this collection is published, you let us know the
> >title, etc.,  because I certainly don't want to waste my book money on
> >it.  An editor can make or break such a volume, and this one is
> >undoubtedly broken.
>
> >What if all writers eschewed names and used only initials?
>
> What Joanne said.  We don't need no stinkin' books from such an
> editor.
>
> Mique

Reminds me of a story about Edna Ferber and Noel Coward, they sat
next to each other at some literary banquet and had never met before.
"You" snapped Noel "Almost look like a man" "And so" replied Edna
calmly "do you".

Dave in Toronto

Lauradog

Jul 17, 2009, 7:39:02 PM7/17/09
Mike Burke wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:59:03 -0700, Pogonip <nob...@nowhere.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Bev Vincent wrote:
>>> http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/apparently-i-write-like-a-girl
>>>
>> Thank you for sticking by your guns and withdrawing your story. My only
>> request is that when this collection is published, you let us know the
>> title, etc., because I certainly don't want to waste my book money on
>> it. An editor can make or break such a volume, and this one is
>> undoubtedly broken.
>>
>> What if all writers eschewed names and used only initials?
>
> What Joanne said. We don't need no stinkin' books from such an
> editor.
>
> Mique
Exactly! I hope that someone has told her that you are a man. I think
the humiliation would be good for her.
Sue D.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 17, 2009, 7:53:15 PM7/17/09
In article <7ccgciF...@mid.individual.net>,

Lauradog <laur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Mike Burke wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:59:03 -0700, Pogonip <nob...@nowhere.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Thank you for sticking by your guns and withdrawing your story. My only
>>> request is that when this collection is published, you let us know the
>>> title, etc., because I certainly don't want to waste my book money on
>>> it. An editor can make or break such a volume, and this one is
>>> undoubtedly broken.
>>>
>>> What if all writers eschewed names and used only initials?
>>
>> What Joanne said. We don't need no stinkin' books from such an
>> editor.
>>

>Exactly! I hope that someone has told her that you are a man. I think

>the humiliation would be good for her.

Or, maybe, him. Who is more likely to make the mistake of
assuming that a given author is female and therefore cannot
write convincingly about a male character: a male editor, or
a female one? (This is after having specified that the
editor, of whatever sex, is a dingbat.)

ia...@notcox.net

Jul 17, 2009, 9:07:55 PM7/17/09

Thats somebody whose deep gender bias was revealed by his misperception
of your gender. I would imagine that no actual female writer gets decent
reviews from him either. Your publisher could test that by randomizing
the gender labels of the pieces he sands to the guy - if he was
motivated by getting the best feedback possible.

Ian

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 17, 2009, 9:18:48 PM7/17/09
In article <Ff98m.13247$8B7....@newsfe20.iad>,

Or just using initials, as suggested above.

There's a longish tradition in science fiction of female
authors using initials, the best-known being C. L. Moore, who
did so not so much because she thought (or Campbell thought)
the mostly-male readership wouldn't read anything by a woman,
but because she was working for a bank and didn't want her
boss to find out.

Not to mention women writing under deliberately male
pseudonyms, the most notorious being Alice Sheldon, who wrote
as "Japes Tiptree, Jr.," and provoked a lot of reviews about
how strong and masculine "his" work was. Again, not because
she didn't think she could sell under her own name, but
because she had worked for the CIA and didn't want her own
name coming before the public eye.

If I had tried writing SF under my initials and maiden name,
I would've had a problem. That would have been D. F. Jones,
and there already was one.

barbara fister

Jul 17, 2009, 10:59:24 PM7/17/09
Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> Or just using initials, as suggested above.
>
> There's a longish tradition in science fiction of female
> authors using initials, the best-known being C. L. Moore, who
> did so not so much because she thought (or Campbell thought)
> the mostly-male readership wouldn't read anything by a woman,
> but because she was working for a bank and didn't want her
> boss to find out.

I sent out my first queries to agents with just initials - my first book
had a male pov. Got an agent and he said "nah, women buy more books
than men; use your name."

barfly

Bev Vincent

Jul 18, 2009, 7:45:19 AM7/18/09

"Dorothy J Heydt" <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote in message

> In article <7ccgciF...@mid.individual.net>,
> Lauradog <laur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Mike Burke wrote:

>>> What Joanne said. We don't need no stinkin' books from such an
>>> editor.
>>>

>>Exactly! I hope that someone has told her that you are a man. I think
>>the humiliation would be good for her.
>
> Or, maybe, him. Who is more likely to make the mistake of
> assuming that a given author is female and therefore cannot
> write convincingly about a male character: a male editor, or
> a female one? (This is after having specified that the
> editor, of whatever sex, is a dingbat.)

Yeah, I've gone back and forth on this myself about whether I think this is
a man or a woman editor and, given the theme of my essay, I think it's
better if I don't make any assumptions! I don't know if the editor has been
informed of his or her error, but I would LOVE to be the person to do it. In
person. Face to face!
--
Bev Vincent
www.BevVincent.com

Wes Struebing

Jul 18, 2009, 11:05:21 AM7/18/09

Indeed! The idiot! Then, perhaps, you can spend your time more
productively - like thinking up an appropriate penance for him/her! Or
using said person in your next story.

Wes Struebing

Jul 18, 2009, 11:07:00 AM7/18/09

(grumbling - probably would think you had a ghost writer who is
female...)

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 18, 2009, 11:38:45 AM7/18/09
In article <d2p365hp72mhj9e6g...@4ax.com>,

Wes Struebing <str...@carpedementem.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 16:10:21 -0500, "Bev Vincent"
><MaxD...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> Thank you for sticking by your guns and withdrawing your story. My only
>>> request is that when this collection is published, you let us know the
>>> title, etc., because I certainly don't want to waste my book
>money on it.
>>> An editor can make or break such a volume, and this one is undoubtedly
>>> broken.
>>>
>>Will do. I'm hoping this unidentified secondary editor will be credited in
>>the acknowledgements so I can find out who s/he is at last!
>
>Indeed! The idiot! Then, perhaps, you can spend your time more
>productively - like thinking up an appropriate penance for him/her! Or
>using said person in your next story.

Ohhhh yes. You could start writing it now, for that matter;
just craft the character in such a way that the sex doesn't
matter. (An easier task nowadays than if you had been
writing, for instance, in the nineteenth century.) Then when
you find out, you can plug in the sex and change the pronouns
appropriately. (Get a few friends to proofread, so you can
make sure you get them all.)

I was musing a day or so ago that there are two easy ways of
putting mystery into a mystery. One is to have the victim so
nice that NObody would want to kill him/her, and you have to
find out who, unlikely as it seems at first glance, wanted to
do the deed anyway. The other is to have the victim so nasty
that EVERYbody would want to kill him/her, and you have to
run all the permutations of means and opportunity to find out
which one actually did.

In this case, your choice is obvious.

(There's also the minor case in which the victim appears to
have been so nice as to be murder-proof until you investigate
further and discover that it was all window-dressing and
everybody really hated him/her.)

If you have to pick a sex to start with, I'd suggest the
victim be male. Consider that the phrase "Nobody who isn't
X can understand how an X feels" is usually pronounced by
somebody who is X himself. If the unknown editor is male,
you can see him getting no further than the title, author's
name, and protagonist's name before deciding "Huh. A WUMMAN
wrote this thing. No mere WUMMAN can possibly understand a
MAN," and his mind is made up before he gets to the second
paragraph.

Annie C

Jul 18, 2009, 12:35:25 PM7/18/09

"Bev Vincent" <MaxD...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

You really should fictionalize that face to face encounter.. and, um, one
thing could lead to another... and then sell that story. Bet you'd feel
better afterwards too.. ;-)

Annie

Joan in GB-W

Jul 18, 2009, 1:37:36 PM7/18/09

> In article <7ccgciF...@mid.individual.net>,
> Lauradog <laur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Mike Burke wrote:

>>> What Joanne said. We don't need no stinkin' books from such an
>>> editor.
>>>

>>Exactly! I hope that someone has told her that you are a man. I think
>>the humiliation would be good for her.
>
> Or, maybe, him. Who is more likely to make the mistake of
> assuming that a given author is female and therefore cannot
> write convincingly about a male character: a male editor, or
> a female one? (This is after having specified that the
> editor, of whatever sex, is a dingbat.)
>
> Dorothy J. Heydt

Hummm Does Jane write convincingly about Gregor?

Joan

Pogonip

Jul 18, 2009, 2:08:48 PM7/18/09

I would bet you that this is a man, and when finally informed that you
are too will insist that you are gay.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 18, 2009, 2:03:05 PM7/18/09
In article <7cefjsF...@mid.individual.net>,

Joan in GB-W <jjk...@aol.com> wrote:

>"Dorothy J Heydt" <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Or, maybe, him. Who is more likely to make the mistake of
>> assuming that a given author is female and therefore cannot
>> write convincingly about a male character: a male editor, or
>> a female one? (This is after having specified that the
>> editor, of whatever sex, is a dingbat.)
>
>Hummm Does Jane write convincingly about Gregor?

Up to a point.

In my totally biased opinion, the Demarkian stories lose
something after _Baptism in Blood_, at the end of which
Gregor and Bennis finally decide to get into bed.

It's not just that the dynamics of their relationship
changes: everybody else's personalities change too. The only
one after _BiB_ that I've read *and kept* is _Somebody Else's
Music,_ not because I think it's realistic but because the
townspeople, the ones whose lives peaked when they were
popular in high school and have been going downhill ever
since, are so over-the-top that they're amusing.

Maybe it's just me.

Certainly I never thought that a male couldn't write
convincing female characters or vice versa. Perhaps a
quotation from Sayers is apropos here:

"A man once asked me--it is true that it was at the end of a
very good dinner, and the compliment conveyed may have been due to
that circumstance--how I managed in my books to write such natural
conversation between men when they were by themselves. Was I, by
any chance, a member of a larged, mixed family with a lot of male
friends? I replied that, on the contrary, I was an only child and
had practically never seen or spoken to any men of my own age till
I was about twenty-five. 'Well,' said the man, 'I shouldn't have
expected a woman [meaning me] to have been able to make it so
convincing.' I replied that I had coped with this difficult problem
by making my men talk, as far as possible, like ordinary human
beings. This aspect of the matter seemed to surprise the other
speaker; he said no more, but took it away to chew it over. One
of these days it may quite likely occur to him that women, as well
as men, when left to themselves, talk very much like human beings
also."

From "Are Women Human?" 1938.

Though, on the other hand, no less a woman than Jane Austen
never wrote any scenes in which only males were present,
because she didn't know how men talked when they were alone.
So it's said.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 18, 2009, 2:52:57 PM7/18/09

Beverly (which I assume is what Bev is short for) was
originally a man's name. It started being a woman's name
only after the community of Beverly Hills was founded and
became famous as an abode of movie stars and like that. I
knew a man named Beverly Hodghead (his father had had that
name too, and was the first mayor of Berkeley, California).
He had been born, I suppose, in the 1920s and died in the
1990s. Though he came of a fairly influential family, he
declined to be a banker or a politician or a lawyer, and
became a master machinist. He smelled strongly of cigar
smoke and his hands were always deeply ingrained with oily
dirt. A great guy.

But, yeah, most Beverlies are female these days.

Janet

Jul 18, 2009, 8:16:56 PM7/18/09

Great story.

I have to admit that there is one female mystery author who used to write
books with a male protagonist, and I've been known to opine that the
protagonist in question was really female.

Some authors are good at writing across gender lines, some aren't. Part of
it has to do with whether the character is convincing and individual...the
kind of person who writes cardboard stock characters usually hews very
closely to stereotypical gender roles.

Message has been deleted

Wes Struebing

Jul 18, 2009, 8:43:59 PM7/18/09
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 12:37:36 -0500, "Joan in GB-W" <jjk...@aol.com>
wrote:

Actually, yes. (imho, of course)

Dave in Toronto

Jul 18, 2009, 8:57:38 PM7/18/09

Many people (myself included) thought Craig Rice and Leigh Brackett
were men because of their names and subject manner. Strangely enough
Cornell Woolrich - whose relationships with women (apart from his
mother) were practicall non-existant could write very convincingly
from a woman's POV.

Dave in Toronto

Stanley Moore

Jul 18, 2009, 8:52:18 PM7/18/09

"Mike Burke" <mbu...@pcug.org.au> wrote in message

> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 12:37:36 -0500, "Joan in GB-W" <jjk...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>

> Hmmmmm, indeed. All I can say is that, if not, she's been fooling me
> for a long, long time.
>
> But then I guess I'm easily fooled, because I thought that Dorothy L.
> Sayers wrote convincingly about Lord Peter.
>
> Mique

But you gotta admit the Lord Peter is pretty rare for a man of his time,
definitely feminist oriented. Not what you would expect of a British upper
class man born in 1890. His brother the Duke is portrayed as more typical
while LP is shown as atypical. Tale care
--
Stanley L. Moore
"The belief in a supernatural

Catherine Thompson

Jul 19, 2009, 11:44:49 AM7/19/09

Same with Shirley, Allison, and several other names. My uncle's father's
name is Shirley, though he's commonly referred to as Shirl, and he's a
farmer. Mind, he's the only man I know with that name.

Catherine

Joan in GB-W

Jul 19, 2009, 1:01:06 PM7/19/09

"Catherine Thompson" <cat...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Add Marion to the list. We had a Dr. Marion Warpinski in this area . . .
and his wife was named Marian.

Joan

Dave in Toronto

Jul 19, 2009, 1:46:49 PM7/19/09
On Jul 19, 1:01 pm, "Joan in GB-W" <jjkr...@aol.com> wrote:
> "Catherine Thompson" <cat...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> > Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> Joan- Hide quoted text -

...and of course there's John Wayne birth name Marion Morrison.

Dave in Toronto

Janet

Jul 19, 2009, 2:34:04 PM7/19/09
Joan in GB-W wrote:
> Add Marion to the list. We had a Dr. Marion Warpinski in this area .
> . . and his wife was named Marian.
>
> Joan

I believe that Marion was John Wayne's real first name.

And of course there's Evelyn Waugh.

Annie C

Jul 19, 2009, 3:04:29 PM7/19/09

"Janet" <box...@maine.rr.com> wrote in message

And off top of my head..
What were once men's names, now frequently or solely women's:
Ashley (the character Wilkes), Leslie (like the actor Howard), Joyce (poet
Kilmer), Adrian, Shannon, Kelly, Riley, and others..

Annie

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 19, 2009, 3:45:05 PM7/19/09
In article <7ch1rhF...@mid.individual.net>,

Joan in GB-W <jjk...@aol.com> wrote:

To say nothing of that well-known macho man, Marion Morrison,
aka John Wayne.

Lynn Allen

Jul 19, 2009, 5:02:39 PM7/19/09
On 2009-07-19 12:04:29 -0700, "Annie C" <cher...@LOSINGMYmindspring.com> said:

> What were once men's names, now frequently or solely women's:
> Ashley (the character Wilkes), Leslie (like the actor Howard), Joyce (poet
> Kilmer), Adrian, Shannon, Kelly, Riley, and others..

and mine. Lynn used to be a man's name almost exclusively. I even have
a male cousin Lynn somewhere in Australia.
Lymaree

Message has been deleted

Lauradog

Jul 19, 2009, 7:22:58 PM7/19/09
Mike Burke wrote:
> And let's not forget that Boy Named Sue. :-)
>
> Mique
Oh, lets do. That song is the bane of my existence.
Sue D.

Lauradog

Jul 19, 2009, 7:23:48 PM7/19/09

Has anyone mentioned Kelly? I have two friends of opposite sexes who
are both named Kelly.
Sue D.

kat >^.^<

Jul 19, 2009, 8:10:58 PM7/19/09

"Catherine Thompson" <cat...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

And Ashley and Carroll and Shelby. My eye doctor was Shirley, named after
the Shirley Plantation people in Virginia. He was well respected and other
men called him Shirley.
kat >^.^<

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 19, 2009, 8:07:20 PM7/19/09
In article <7cho7uF...@mid.individual.net>,

There's a squib on the web ... let's see if I can find it....

Yeah.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/31994977/ns/today-today_people/?GT1=43001

A young woman named Kelly Hildebrandt found a young man named
Kelly Hildebrandt on Facebook. She messaged "Hi, we have the
same names, isn't that weird?"; he answered; they arranged to
meet; now eight months later they're getting married.

Pogonip

Jul 19, 2009, 8:27:24 PM7/19/09
Mike Burke wrote:

>> Add Marion to the list. We had a Dr. Marion Warpinski in this area . . .
>> and his wife was named Marian.
>>
> And let's not forget that Boy Named Sue. :-)
>
> Mique

And Moon Unit. Never forget Moon Unit.

Pogonip

Jul 19, 2009, 8:28:11 PM7/19/09

Surely he never said, "Please don't call me Shirley"?

kat >^.^<

Jul 19, 2009, 8:32:06 PM7/19/09

"Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote in message

Oh, I totally forgot that line! I wonder if he ever saw the movie. He
might have been quite elderly by then.
kat >^.^<
in Rhinelander

Annie C

Jul 19, 2009, 9:16:55 PM7/19/09

"Lauradog" <laur...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Aw, I love that song.. makes me smile every time.
and the Johnny Cash live 1969 performance at San Quentin.
Wow - now that's what we call a captive audience. ;-)

Annie
(sorry if that went personal email first time, Sue.. hit wrong button)

Pogonip

Jul 19, 2009, 9:31:40 PM7/19/09

One of Shel Silverstein's classics. He made the earth a better place.

Annie C

Jul 19, 2009, 9:45:42 PM7/19/09

"Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote in message

I adored Shel Silverstein... and, unfortunately, was not able to make it to
the special "SHELabration" tribute to him held last week in Grant Pk in
Chicago. He's from here!. http://tinyurl.com/kkht5m

Annie

Lauradog

Jul 19, 2009, 9:50:22 PM7/19/09
Annie C wrote:

>>> And let's not forget that Boy Named Sue. :-)
>>>
>>> Mique
>> Oh, lets do. That song is the bane of my existence.
>> Sue D.
>
> Aw, I love that song.. makes me smile every time.
> and the Johnny Cash live 1969 performance at San Quentin.
> Wow - now that's what we call a captive audience. ;-)
>
> Annie
> (sorry if that went personal email first time, Sue.. hit wrong button)

It's only that I can't count the many times when I've been introduced as
Sue, only to hear "How DO you do?" Have none of the rest of you Sues
not experienced this?
Sue D.

Lauradog

Jul 19, 2009, 9:54:47 PM7/19/09
Pogonip wrote:
> Annie C wrote:
>> "Lauradog" <laur...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Oh, lets do. That song is the bane of my existence.
>>> Sue D.
>>
>> Aw, I love that song.. makes me smile every time.
>> and the Johnny Cash live 1969 performance at San Quentin.
>> Wow - now that's what we call a captive audience. ;-)
>>
>> Annie
>> (sorry if that went personal email first time, Sue.. hit wrong button)
>>

> One of Shel Silverstein's classics. He made the earth a better place.

Yes, he did. I love Shell Silverstein and Johnny Cash. Saw Johnny live
back in the early 60's. It was a free concert at Springlake Amusement
Park in Oklahoma City. Have all of Shell's LPs and most of Johnny's.
It's just that one song . . .
Sue D.

Dave in Toronto

Jul 19, 2009, 10:32:40 PM7/19/09
> Sue D.- Hide quoted text -

I bet no-one else here has seen the movie "How Doooo You Do?"
featuring Bert Gordon (The Mad Russian). That's probably where the
phrase, with that inflection, originated.

Dave in Toronto

Pogonip

Jul 19, 2009, 11:34:33 PM7/19/09

My ex-brother-in-law collaborated with Shel on some songs. They were
good friends and had fun together.

Annie C

Jul 19, 2009, 11:54:54 PM7/19/09

How cool!!

Annie

Message has been deleted

Pogonip

Jul 20, 2009, 2:20:11 AM7/20/09

Yes, cool and special. Jeff has had an interesting life - he's got a
couple of songs in Midnight Cowboy and now has a couple of children's
books that were published. He also wrote the England Dan and John Ford
Coley hit "We'll Never Have To Say Goodbye Again," and the "B" side to
all of the Fifth Dimension's hits. He had a collection of gold records,
because it's the disk that sells, not the side.

Lauradog

Jul 20, 2009, 8:49:43 AM7/20/09
Mike Burke wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 18:22:58 -0500, Lauradog <laur...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> And let's not forget that Boy Named Sue. :-)
>>>
>> Oh, lets do. That song is the bane of my existence.
>> Sue D.
>
> Whoops! Sorry, Sue.
>
> Mique

No need for sorry, Mique, the song was just a minor blip of irritation
in my life years ago. :-)
Sue

Sudee

Jul 20, 2009, 2:49:21 PM7/20/09

Ditto Sioux City Sue, Run Around Sue, Wake Up Little Susie...
I used to work with a guy who'd recite one of those song titles when I'd
pass by his desk. Annoying after the first few times. Ack!

--

Sue R.

erilar

Jul 20, 2009, 3:09:01 PM7/20/09
In article <h40cmk$nbn$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"kat >^.^<" <kat...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Same with Shirley, Allison, and several other names. My uncle's father's
> > name is Shirley, though he's commonly referred to as Shirl, and he's a
> > farmer. Mind, he's the only man I know with that name.

My ex-husband's family had both a Shirley and a Joyce in the older
generation.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo

erilar

Jul 20, 2009, 3:11:05 PM7/20/09
In article <7cho7uF...@mid.individual.net>,
Lauradog <laur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone mentioned Kelly? I have two friends of opposite sexes who
> are both named Kelly.

I have a nephew with that first name. When he discovered in grade school
that there were GIRLS named Kelly, he refused to answer to anything but
his middle name from then on. He must be closing in on 40 by now 8-)

Annie C

Jul 20, 2009, 3:51:54 PM7/20/09

"Sudee" <he...@olympus.net> wrote in message

> Sue R.

Truth is, I'm just jealous! hah.
Not many Annie songs out there.
There was John Denver's beautiful "Annie's Song." and a Gordon Lightfoot
song ( I can't recall at the moment) with a lyric with an Annie.mention ;o)
See, I'd love more songs with my name...

Annie

Annie C

Jul 20, 2009, 3:57:08 PM7/20/09

"Annie C" <cher...@LOSINGMYmindspring.com> wrote in message
Lightfoot's "Carefree Highway" is the one I couldn't recall..

Annie

kat >^.^<

Jul 20, 2009, 8:34:18 PM7/20/09

"Annie C" <cher...@LOSINGMYmindspring.com> wrote in message

All I can think of is Cathy's Clown, which, if any boyfriend (back in the
day) considered "our song" would have been dropped like a stone for being a
dumba$$. Oh, yes, the Irish song, "I'll take you home again, Kathleen."
Which one of the Star Trek TV series made popular for about a minute.
I tried to get my teachers to call me by my middle name, Allen. Didn't fly.
To bad; I'd be happy to say that you can call me Al.
kat >^.^<
or Al, I'm good
in Rhinelander

Lauradog

Jul 20, 2009, 8:34:48 PM7/20/09
And there's "The Weight" or "Take a Load Off Annie", but I can't
remember who sang that.
Sue D.

Lauradog

Jul 20, 2009, 8:38:33 PM7/20/09
Ah, validation! And yes, it is one of those "it's funny the first time"
things.
Sue D.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 20, 2009, 10:49:42 PM7/20/09
In article <h432ea$d0c$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

kat >^.^ <" <kat...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Oh, yes, the Irish song, "I'll take you home again, Kathleen."
>Which one of the Star Trek TV series made popular for about a minute.

Heh. Longer than that. The actor who played the guy who
sang "Kathleen" (who also appeared in one other episode) won
a place in the hearts of the fans, and was a regular at Star
Trek cons for decades thereafter.

<searches>

Bryce Hyde, playing Kevin Riley.

Annie C

Jul 21, 2009, 12:56:39 AM7/21/09

"Lauradog" <laur...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You know, I always heard that as "Fanny" not Annie.
Checked The Band's website, it is Fanny.
http://theband.hiof.no/lyrics/the_weight.html

Annie

Annie C

Jul 21, 2009, 1:06:29 AM7/21/09

"kat >^.^<" <kat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Thought of another for you:

"Kathy," I said,
As we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh,
"Michigan seems like a dream to me now,....
It took me four days
To hitch-hike from Saginaw.
I've come to look for America."

Paul Simon's "America"

Annie

Dave in Toronto

Jul 21, 2009, 1:28:17 AM7/21/09

Annie Doesn't Live here Anymore.
Dreamboat Annie
Annie Laurie

With all the movies and TV series about _Tugboat Annie_ I'm pretty
sure at least one of them had a song over the
credits

Dave in Toronto

Pogonip

Jul 21, 2009, 1:41:37 AM7/21/09

OMG, yes, I remember the Annie songs I heard when I was in high school
and sneaked listening to the "race" station in Pittsburgh. Probably our
Annie would rather not hear about those.

kat >^.^<

Jul 21, 2009, 9:49:02 AM7/21/09

> "kat >^.^<" <kat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I tried to get my teachers to call me by my middle name, Allen. Didn't
>> fly. To bad; I'd be happy to say that you can call me Al.
>> kat >^.^<
>> or Al, I'm good
>> in Rhinelander
> Thought of another for you:
>
> "Kathy," I said,
> As we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh,
> "Michigan seems like a dream to me now,....
> It took me four days
> To hitch-hike from Saginaw.
> I've come to look for America."
>
> Paul Simon's "America"
>
> Annie

Now, that was a heck of a segue.
kat >^.^<
in Rhinelander

kat >^.^<

Jul 21, 2009, 9:50:34 AM7/21/09

"Dorothy J Heydt" <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote in message

Wow. That's milking a role. Smart man!
kat >^.^<
in Rhinelander

Annie C

Jul 21, 2009, 10:12:23 AM7/21/09

"Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote in message

Heart's Dreamboat Annie , didn't think of it.
The other songs I've never heard of...and Tugbat Annie, dunno except for the
old movie.

What's a "race" station, Joanne?

Annie

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 21, 2009, 10:15:59 AM7/21/09
In article <h44hfg$61c$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

kat >^.^ <" <kat...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Dorothy J Heydt" <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote in message
>> In article <h432ea$d0c$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
>> kat >^.^ <" <kat...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Oh, yes, the Irish song, "I'll take you home again, Kathleen."
>>>Which one of the Star Trek TV series made popular for about a minute.
>>
>> Heh. Longer than that. The actor who played the guy who
>> sang "Kathleen" (who also appeared in one other episode) won
>> a place in the hearts of the fans, and was a regular at Star
>> Trek cons for decades thereafter.
>>
>> <searches>
>>
>> Bryce Hyde, playing Kevin Riley.
>>

>Wow. That's milking a role. Smart man!

Not only that ... he went back to school later, got a PhD,
and is now the chairman of the Theatre Arts department in I
forget what smallish university in the midwest.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 21, 2009, 10:19:50 AM7/21/09
In article <4a65...@news.bnb-lp.com>,

One that plays music for black people. I'm a little
surprised to see the term still in use, but "race labels"
used to be record companies that recorded music by and for
black people. They were of relatively poor quality because
good recording tech was expensive. But that was back in the
first half of the twentieth century. I don't follow pop
music (in fact, I tend to walk away from it), but I was under
the impression that black music sort of invaded the
mainstream in the 1950s, settled in, and became a largish
part of the scene. Perhaps I'm mistaken. Or perhaps Joanne
is at least as old as I am or even older.

Janet

Jul 21, 2009, 10:58:22 AM7/21/09
As far as I know, the only song that features my name is Tam Lin.

Great song, though.

Dave in Toronto

Jul 21, 2009, 12:53:46 PM7/21/09
On Jul 21, 10:12 am, "Annie C" <chern...@LOSINGMYmindspring.com>
wrote:
> "Pogonip" <nobo...@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> Annie- Hide quoted text -

Annie Laurie is a Scottish folk song.

Annie doesn't live here anymore is a melancholy song about a woman who
commited suicide:

Annie doesn't live here any more
Might have been your picture that she tore
She said I'm recognize you by the blue in your eye....

Marlene Dietrich and Eartha Kitt have recorded versions of it.

I think there have been three feature movies about Tugboat Annie made
in the thirties and forties and a TV series made in the fifties. I
haven't seen any of them but it was the fashion in the fifties to have
a theme song about the series' protagonist over the credits - ("Robin
Hood, Robin Hood riding through the glen" - that's just an example -
not from Tugboat Annie.)

Dave in Toronto

Dave in Toronto

Jul 21, 2009, 1:01:29 PM7/21/09
On Jul 21, 10:58 am, "Janet" <boxh...@maine.rr.com> wrote:
> As far as I know, the only song that features my name is Tam Lin.
>
> Great song, though.

Made into a movie with Ava Gardner and Ian McShane - directed by Roddy
McDowall!! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067822/

Dave in Toronto

Dave in Toronto

Jul 21, 2009, 1:43:29 PM7/21/09
On Jul 21, 10:19 am, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> In article <4a65c...@news.bnb-lp.com>,
>

> Annie C <chern...@LOSINGMYmindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >"Pogonip" <nobo...@nowhere.org> wrote in message

I picked up a few DVD's at a dollar store recently - they were movies
made in the forties by blacks for black audiences. The funny thing is
they don'r really differ too much from main stream movies. None of
them touch on social issues, they are all mysteries, comedies and
musicals. The leads tend to be played by lighter skinned blacks with
Caucasion features who could pass for hispanics or southern Europeans
- one of them looks like George Raft (but isn't). Those in the cast
with obvious African American features are relegated to minor parts as
servants police etc. and are usually there just for comic relief.
Stepin Fetchitt is in one of them.

Dave in Toronto

Pogonip

Jul 21, 2009, 2:02:47 PM7/21/09

Yes, this was in the early 1950s, and the radio station was for blacks
and played music by blacks when it wasn't played on the other stations.
The technical quality wasn't so good, but the sounds were fantastic --
as was soon discovered by the mainstream. White entertainers listened
to the black entertainers, then sometimes watered down the language and
emotion, and recorded and performed the songs as if they were their own.

Dorothy, I was 71 the other day. A strange number......

Annie C

Jul 21, 2009, 2:11:17 PM7/21/09

"Dave in Toronto" <dmatt...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Dave in Toronto
___________________________________
I only know about the old Marie Dressler series because one of my
grandmother's sisters was MD's clothing and costume maker/designer for many
years..

Never cared much for the 'bickering couple' type of
show/film/program...Don't watch those. Heard enough growing up in a
household like that. Cannot abide constant arguing, even if it's supposedly
for fun.

Annie

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 21, 2009, 2:15:46 PM7/21/09

You have me beat by a few. I recently turned 67. So you
would have been a teenager in the early 1950s, when I was
still a pre-teen and not allowed to wander about downtown
much. (Not to mention that I spent 1953-55 in the middle of
the San Joaquin Valley where there *was* no downtown closer
than about ten miles.)

Do you have any clear memories from World War II? I have
only a few fragments.

Pogonip

Jul 21, 2009, 3:05:15 PM7/21/09
Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> You have me beat by a few. I recently turned 67. So you
> would have been a teenager in the early 1950s, when I was
> still a pre-teen and not allowed to wander about downtown
> much. (Not to mention that I spent 1953-55 in the middle of
> the San Joaquin Valley where there *was* no downtown closer
> than about ten miles.)
>
> Do you have any clear memories from World War II? I have
> only a few fragments.

Yes, I was a teenager, and graduated high school in 1955, at 16. Young,
naive. Some things have not changed much.

I do have some memories of the war. I clearly remember blackout
curtains and air raid warnings. Those were scary. We lived in western
Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh, which I guess was a target. I remember
rationing. My father was a doctor and got extra gasoline rations
because doctors did most of their work by house calls then. He was
often paid in produce or meat, so we were fortunate there. There were
many farms around the town, and while cash was scarce, bushels of
vegetables for my mother to can were not. Plus we had a Victory Garden.
I remember that clearly, too.

One of my worst memories was of shoes. Shoes were very scarce, so when
the war ended and a local shoestore got children's oxfords, my father
took me in and bought a pair that fit. Then he bought a pair of each
succeeding size. I wore brown oxfords for so long that I swore I'd
never wear another pair. I hated those shoes.

Another memory I mentioned here recently was of standing in line at the
A & P to buy a roll of toilet paper, because it was "one to a customer"
with paper being so scarce. I also knew "one sheet, sometimes two, but
never, never three."

Other memories include the silver and gold stars in people's windows.
My uncle Red was on a ship in the South Pacific, and survived the war,
though he was deaf in one ear from an attack.

Francis A. Miniter

Jul 21, 2009, 3:20:32 PM7/21/09
Pogonip wrote:

> Another memory I mentioned here recently was of standing in line at the
> A & P to buy a roll of toilet paper, because it was "one to a customer"
> with paper being so scarce. I also knew "one sheet, sometimes two, but
> never, never three."

I first encountered that in Margaret Atwood's book *Cat's
Eye* . I was shocked. By the way, for those who have not
yet read it, it is a superb novel.

--
Francis A. Miniter

Oscuramente
libros, laminas, llaves
siguen mi suerte.

Jorge Luis Borges, La Cifra Haiku, 6

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 21, 2009, 4:04:52 PM7/21/09
In article <4a661168$1...@news.bnb-lp.com>, Pogonip <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote:
>Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>>
>> You have me beat by a few. I recently turned 67. So you
>> would have been a teenager in the early 1950s, when I was
>> still a pre-teen and not allowed to wander about downtown
>> much. (Not to mention that I spent 1953-55 in the middle of
>> the San Joaquin Valley where there *was* no downtown closer
>> than about ten miles.)
>>
>> Do you have any clear memories from World War II? I have
>> only a few fragments.
>
>Yes, I was a teenager, and graduated high school in 1955, at 16. Young,
>naive. Some things have not changed much.

I *entered* high school in 1955, at 13.

>I do have some memories of the war. I clearly remember blackout
>curtains and air raid warnings. Those were scary. We lived in western
>Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh, which I guess was a target. I remember
>rationing. My father was a doctor and got extra gasoline rations
>because doctors did most of their work by house calls then. He was
>often paid in produce or meat, so we were fortunate there. There were
>many farms around the town, and while cash was scarce, bushels of
>vegetables for my mother to can were not. Plus we had a Victory Garden.
> I remember that clearly, too.
>
>One of my worst memories was of shoes. Shoes were very scarce, so when
>the war ended and a local shoestore got children's oxfords, my father
>took me in and bought a pair that fit. Then he bought a pair of each
>succeeding size. I wore brown oxfords for so long that I swore I'd
>never wear another pair. I hated those shoes.
>
>Another memory I mentioned here recently was of standing in line at the
>A & P to buy a roll of toilet paper, because it was "one to a customer"
>with paper being so scarce. I also knew "one sheet, sometimes two, but
>never, never three."
>
>Other memories include the silver and gold stars in people's windows.
>My uncle Red was on a ship in the South Pacific, and survived the war,
>though he was deaf in one ear from an attack.

I can remember (1) climbing a long flight of exterior stairs,
holding somebody's hand, I think my father's. I know that's
from the war years because the stairs led to our flat, a
converted hayloft in a converted barn, in Texas. (2) Waiting
in a crowded train station with a lot of other women and
children -- I assume we were all waiting for our menfolk to
come home, having been discharged -- and a little boy who'd
climbed up to the top of the rental lockers, saying, "I can
stay up here all morning."

That's all.

I've read whole bunches about the war since, but it's not the
same as having been there.

My father was in the US Army Air Corps, but he was thirty
when the US got into the war, so they didn't send him
anywhere overseas, only to various camps where he taught
young pilots how to recognize aircraft -- ours or theirs and
what kind -- in so many fractions of a second.

Dave in Toronto

Jul 21, 2009, 5:26:36 PM7/21/09
On Jul 21, 4:04 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

I will be 77 tomorrow and have very distinctive memories of the war.
I was seven years old when it started and thirteen when it ended. We
lived thirty miles north of London and were close to an aerodrome so
were a constant target for German bombers. We would watch the 'dog-
fights' in the sky and cheer as the good guys won. My father was a
carpenter and during the blitz commuted to London daily to patch up
the damage done during the night.

The most vivid memory was of the V1's (the doodlebugs) used in the
later years of the war. They had the most sinister throbbing sound.
Novelist Graham Greene described it in his novel THE MINISTRY OF FEAR_
as like someone repeating "Where are you? Where are you? Where are
you?". They often came at night and you would hear the sound getting
louder and louder as they neared - when the sound stopped that is when
you dived under the bed. The V2s - the rocket bombs were different -
if you heard the explosion you knew at least that you were alive for
they travelled faster than sound.

A movie that mirrors my experiences is John Boorman's semi-
autobiographical _ HOPE AND GLORY_. Boorman is about the same age as
me and seems to have come from the same kind of background.

Dave in Toronto

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 21, 2009, 5:45:39 PM7/21/09
In article <2766f38c-0c25-4a54...@p9g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,

Dave in Toronto <dmatt...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I will be 77 tomorrow and have very distinctive memories of the war.
>I was seven years old when it started and thirteen when it ended. We
>lived thirty miles north of London and were close to an aerodrome so
>were a constant target for German bombers. We would watch the 'dog-
>fights' in the sky and cheer as the good guys won.

Oh, wow. Do you remember the cartoon (which I, of course,
have seen only in histories) of the farmer trying to plow his
field while watching the dogfights overhead, so that his
field looks like a cat's cradle?

My father was a
>carpenter and during the blitz commuted to London daily to patch up
>the damage done during the night.
>
>The most vivid memory was of the V1's (the doodlebugs) used in the
>later years of the war. They had the most sinister throbbing sound.
>Novelist Graham Greene described it in his novel THE MINISTRY OF FEAR_
>as like someone repeating "Where are you? Where are you? Where are
>you?". They often came at night and you would hear the sound getting
>louder and louder as they neared - when the sound stopped that is when
>you dived under the bed.

I'm told that it was in order to avoid doodlebugs that
Dorothy L. Sayers dove into the shelter with the first book
that had come to hand -- which happened to be Dante's
_Commedia_. And the rest, as they say, is history.

The V2s - the rocket bombs were different -
>if you heard the explosion you knew at least that you were alive for
>they travelled faster than sound.
>
>A movie that mirrors my experiences is John Boorman's semi-
>autobiographical _ HOPE AND GLORY_. Boorman is about the same age as
>me and seems to have come from the same kind of background.

I'm going to have to look those up.

And happy birthday.

John Oliver

Jul 21, 2009, 6:24:39 PM7/21/09
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:45:39 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <2766f38c-0c25-4a54...@p9g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
>Dave in Toronto <dmatt...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>>I will be 77 tomorrow and have very distinctive memories of the war.
>>I was seven years old when it started and thirteen when it ended. We
>>lived thirty miles north of London and were close to an aerodrome so
>>were a constant target for German bombers. We would watch the 'dog-
>>fights' in the sky and cheer as the good guys won.

I must have missed the original so I'm piggy backing on the reply.

What a difference 4 years makes. I am 73 and have only a few vague
memories of the war. Of course, I was in the US and didn't get bombed.
That would make a big difference.

I remember the Iwo Jima flag raising poster and the big celebrations
on VJ day but that is about all.
--
John Oliver
jdol...@westnet.com.au

kat >^.^<

Jul 21, 2009, 6:25:50 PM7/21/09

> Yes, this was in the early 1950s, and the radio station was for blacks and
> played music by blacks when it wasn't played on the other stations. The
> technical quality wasn't so good, but the sounds were fantastic --
> as was soon discovered by the mainstream. White entertainers listened to
> the black entertainers, then sometimes watered down the language and
> emotion, and recorded and performed the songs as if they were their own.
>
> Dorothy, I was 71 the other day. A strange number......
> --
> Joanne
> stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
> http://members.tripod.com/~bernardschopen/

71 is a prime number. Need I say more ?
>^.^<

Rik Shepherd

Jul 21, 2009, 7:59:28 PM7/21/09
Dave wrote

> The most vivid memory was of the V1's (the doodlebugs) used in the
> later years of the war. They had the most sinister throbbing sound.
> Novelist Graham Greene described it in his novel THE MINISTRY OF FEAR_
> as like someone repeating "Where are you? Where are you? Where are
> you?". They often came at night and you would hear the sound getting
> louder and louder as they neared - when the sound stopped that is when
> you dived under the bed.

My mum had a doodlebug cut out within earshot halfway through an exam (in
Wembley, supposedly safe apart from the night someone else's chimney came
through her bedroom ceiling and one of the French windows was found leant
against the shed at the end of the garden). As a room full of schoolgirls
attempted to hide beneath their desks, the teacher overseeing the exam was
shouting "No girl is to look at another girl's exam paper!"

Earlier in the war my dad was evacuated from the dangers of Wimbledon, to a
house a few hundred yards from a Fighter Command base - suited my dad
because he liked planespotting, but as a way of keeping kiddies safe lacks a
certain something (or relies on the assumption that because the Luftwaffe
bombed civilians in Spain, civilians were all it could bomb anywhere...)

Wes Struebing

Jul 21, 2009, 8:46:49 PM7/21/09
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 19:34:18 -0500, "kat >^.^<" <kat...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"Annie C" <cher...@LOSINGMYmindspring.com> wrote in message

>> "Sudee" <he...@olympus.net> wrote in message

>>> Ditto Sioux City Sue, Run Around Sue, Wake Up Little Susie...
>>> I used to work with a guy who'd recite one of those song titles when I'd
>>> pass by his desk. Annoying after the first few times. Ack!
>>>
>>> Sue R.
>>
>> Truth is, I'm just jealous! hah.
>> Not many Annie songs out there.
>> There was John Denver's beautiful "Annie's Song." and a Gordon Lightfoot
>> song ( I can't recall at the moment) with a lyric with an Annie.mention
>> ;o)
>> See, I'd love more songs with my name...
>>
>> Annie
>>

>All I can think of is Cathy's Clown, which, if any boyfriend (back in the
>day) considered "our song" would have been dropped like a stone for being a

>dumba$$. Oh, yes, the Irish song, "I'll take you home again, Kathleen."

>Which one of the Star Trek TV series made popular for about a minute.

>I tried to get my teachers to call me by my middle name, Allen. Didn't fly.
>To bad; I'd be happy to say that you can call me Al.
>kat >^.^<
>or Al, I'm good
>in Rhinelander

"...you called me Al. It was Al all of the time.
Say don't you remember, I was your pal...
Brother can you spare a dime?"

(sorry kat; I just couldn't resist that...)

I tried to go by my middle name, too (Alan), but it didn't fly for me,
either. So I got used to my first name.

Joan in GB-W

Jul 21, 2009, 9:35:06 PM7/21/09

"kat >^.^<" <kat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> All I can think of is Cathy's Clown, which, if any boyfriend (back in the
> day) considered "our song" would have been dropped like a stone for being
> a dumba$$. Oh, yes, the Irish song, "I'll take you home again, Kathleen."
> Which one of the Star Trek TV series made popular for about a minute.
> I tried to get my teachers to call me by my middle name, Allen. Didn't
> fly. To bad; I'd be happy to say that you can call me Al.
> kat >^.^<
> or Al, I'm good
> in Rhinelander

And then there's this:

Ka-ka-ka-Katy, beautiful Katy,
You're the only gir-gir-gir-girl that I adore.
When the moo-moo-moon shines over the cow shed,
I'll be waitin' at the ki-ki-ki-kitchen door.

Joan

Pogonip

Jul 21, 2009, 11:13:11 PM7/21/09
kat >^.^< wrote:
> "Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>> Dorothy, I was 71 the other day. A strange number......
>> --
>> Joanne
>> stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
>> http://members.tripod.com/~bernardschopen/
>
> 71 is a prime number. Need I say more ?
>> ^.^<

Does that mean that I'm in my prime? I like that!!!

Janet

Jul 21, 2009, 11:16:58 PM7/21/09

Hope and Glory is an excellent movie.

kat >^.^<

Jul 21, 2009, 11:20:28 PM7/21/09

"Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote in message

Absolutely.
>^.^<

erilar

Jul 22, 2009, 1:03:39 PM7/22/09
In article <Kn59E...@kithrup.com>,

djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

> You have me beat by a few. I recently turned 67. So you
> would have been a teenager in the early 1950s, when I was
> still a pre-teen and not allowed to wander about downtown
> much. (Not to mention that I spent 1953-55 in the middle of
> the San Joaquin Valley where there *was* no downtown closer
> than about ten miles.)
>
> Do you have any clear memories from World War II? I have
> only a few fragments.

75 may not be "prime", but it's old enough that I actually have memories
going back even a bit before WWII. I lived in a pretty small town, too,
but it was big enough to have a decent library(Hooray!) and a movie
theater where my brother and I saw quite a few " gung ho our team" war
movies.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 22, 2009, 1:21:15 PM7/22/09
In article <drache-31E38E....@news.airstreamcomm.net>,

erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>In article <Kn59E...@kithrup.com>,
> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
>
>> You have me beat by a few. I recently turned 67. So you
>> would have been a teenager in the early 1950s, when I was
>> still a pre-teen and not allowed to wander about downtown
>> much. (Not to mention that I spent 1953-55 in the middle of
>> the San Joaquin Valley where there *was* no downtown closer
>> than about ten miles.)
>>
>> Do you have any clear memories from World War II? I have
>> only a few fragments.
>
>75 may not be "prime", but it's old enough that I actually have memories
>going back even a bit before WWII. I lived in a pretty small town, too,
>but it was big enough to have a decent library(Hooray!) and a movie
>theater where my brother and I saw quite a few " gung ho our team" war
>movies.

Cool. The place I lived in in the Valley had about fifty
houses, a school, a tiny library, and a miniscule general
store/post office. If it hadn't had a post office I don't
think it would even have had a name.

Pogonip

Jul 22, 2009, 2:20:15 PM7/22/09
erilar wrote:
> In article <Kn59E...@kithrup.com>,
> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

>> Do you have any clear memories from World War II? I have
>> only a few fragments.
>
> 75 may not be "prime", but it's old enough that I actually have memories
> going back even a bit before WWII. I lived in a pretty small town, too,
> but it was big enough to have a decent library(Hooray!) and a movie
> theater where my brother and I saw quite a few " gung ho our team" war
> movies.

Remember the propaganda movies? There was one about Nazi medical
experiments on children that has really stuck with me. It just showed
children sitting in chairs lined up along the wall, then being dragged
one by one into another room where you could hear them scream. When my
older son was born, the pediatrician who treated him at birth had an
office with a waiting room that had chairs lined up around the
perimeter. It triggered such a memory of that movie that I found
another pediatrician with a more welcoming waiting room!

Dave in Toronto

Jul 22, 2009, 4:28:50 PM7/22/09
On Jul 21, 5:45 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> In article <2766f38c-0c25-4a54-88d3-983104071...@p9g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,

Thankyou.

An excellent movie about the V1s and the V2s is _OPERATION CROSSBOW_
it shifts facts around sometimes for dramatic effect but they are
there.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059549/

It pays tribute to Hanna Reitsch a supremely intelligent and
courageous woman even though she was on the wrong side. She actually
flew one of the V1s to find out why the test models were crashing!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna_Reitsch

Dave in Toronto

Dave in Toronto

Jul 22, 2009, 5:27:01 PM7/22/09
On Jul 22, 2:20 pm, Pogonip <nobo...@nowhere.org> wrote:
> erilar wrote:
> > In article <Kn59EA.1...@kithrup.com>,

> >  djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
>
> >> Do you have any clear memories from World War II?  I have
> >> only a few fragments.
>
> > 75 may not be "prime", but it's old enough that I actually have memories
> > going back even a bit before WWII.  I lived in a pretty small town, too,
> > but it was big enough to have a decent library(Hooray!) and a movie
> > theater where my brother and I saw quite a few " gung ho our team" war
> > movies.
>
> Remember the propaganda movies?  There was one about Nazi medical
> experiments on children that has really stuck with me.  It just showed
> children sitting in chairs lined up along the wall, then being dragged
> one by one into another room where you could hear them scream.  When my
> older son was born, the pediatrician who treated him at birth had an
> office with a waiting room that had chairs lined up around the
> perimeter.  It triggered such a memory of that movie that I found
> another pediatrician with a more welcoming waiting room!
> --
> Joanne

In the UK we used to listen to the German propaganda broadcasts in
English on short wave radio. They were very clever as there was no
reliance on heavy Nazi rhetoric. The broadcasts consisted of news
items-with special emphasis on items where the British press had got
the facts wrong (which they often did)- breaks for music and comedy -
all very well done. They would make satiric comments about the
internal conflicts between the British and Commonwealth (Empire)
forces and the broadcast would usually end by a talk by the infamous
Lord Haw Haw with his excruciating upperclass twit British accent.

Dave in Toronto

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 22, 2009, 5:39:14 PM7/22/09
In article <2bc3d6ad-b453-441a...@26g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,

Dave in Toronto <dmatt...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>On Jul 21, 5:45�ソスpm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
>> In article
><2766f38c-0c25-4a54-88d3-983104071...@p9g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
>> Dave in Toronto �ソス<dmatthew...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>

>> >I will be 77 tomorrow and have very distinctive memories of the war.
>> >I was seven years old when it started and thirteen when it ended. �ソスWe

>> >lived thirty miles north of London and were close to an aerodrome so
>> >were a constant target for German bombers. �ソスWe would watch the 'dog-

>> >fights' in the sky and cheer as the good guys won.
>>
>> Oh, wow. �ソスDo you remember the cartoon (which I, of course,

>> have seen only in histories) of the farmer trying to plow his
>> field while watching the dogfights overhead, so that his
>> field looks like a cat's cradle?
>>
>> �ソス My father was a

>> >carpenter and during the blitz commuted to London daily to patch up
>> >the damage done during the night.
>>
>> >The most vivid memory was of the V1's (the doodlebugs) used in the
>> >later years of the war. �ソスThey had the most sinister throbbing sound.

>> >Novelist Graham Greene described it in his novel THE MINISTRY OF FEAR_
>> >as like someone repeating "Where are you? Where are you? Where are
>> >you?". �ソスThey often came at night and you would hear the sound getting

>> >louder and louder as they neared - when the sound stopped that is when
>> >you dived under the bed.
>>
>> I'm told that it was in order to avoid doodlebugs that
>> Dorothy L. Sayers dove into the shelter with the first book
>> that had come to hand -- which happened to be Dante's
>> _Commedia_. �ソスAnd the rest, as they say, is history.
>>
>> �ソス The V2s - the rocket bombs were different -

>> >if you heard the explosion you knew at least that you were alive for
>> >they travelled faster than sound.
>>
>> >A movie that mirrors my experiences is John Boorman's semi-
>> >autobiographical _ HOPE AND GLORY_. �ソス Boorman is about the same age as

>> >me and seems to have come from the same kind of background.
>>
>> I'm going to have to look those up.
>>
>> And happy birthday.
>>
>> Dorothy J. Heydt
>

>Thankyou.
>
>An excellent movie about the V1s and the V2s is _OPERATION CROSSBOW_
>it shifts facts around sometimes for dramatic effect but they are
>there.
>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059549/
>
>It pays tribute to Hanna Reitsch a supremely intelligent and
>courageous woman even though she was on the wrong side. She actually
>flew one of the V1s to find out why the test models were crashing!!
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna_Reitsch

Ohhh yes, I know about Hanna Reitsch. My husband and I are
kind of WWII junkies, even though (or perhaps, because) we
didn't go through it. (He was born in 1949.)

Dave in Toronto

Jul 22, 2009, 6:54:36 PM7/22/09

Dave in Toronto

Jul 22, 2009, 7:18:20 PM7/22/09

> Another memory I mentioned here recently was of standing in line at the
> A & P to buy a roll of toilet paper, because it was "one to a customer"
> with paper being so scarce.  I also knew "one sheet, sometimes two, but
> never, never three."
>
> Joanne

A few years after the war when rationing was still in effect I was
fifteen years old and working in a hardware store that sold liquid
paraffin (Kerosene) - not sure whether
it was rationed or not but we had to ask the customers the reason for
it's purchase. When I asked one lady what it was going to be used
for she replied "Well I'm certainly glad you don't sell toilet paper".

Dave in Toronto

Pogonip

Jul 22, 2009, 8:57:47 PM7/22/09

Ha!

Joan in GB-W

Jul 23, 2009, 11:42:12 AM7/23/09

"Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote in message

What I remember (and I was just an infant and toddler in WWII--was 5-6 when
the war ended) is peeling labels off cans and squashing them and saving them
for the war effort. We were recycling then! I remember the tokens and
stamps that my mother used to buy groceries. And I remember the end of the
war . . . it is a vague memory. I can remember standing on a rather busy
intersection not too far from our home (that was when children could play
outside without an adult hovering over them) and the cars going buy honking
their horns and the hollering that the war was over.

Joan (whose memories could be skewered by age)

It is loading more messages.