Marx Bros. Books

st@trillian

Jan 31, 1990, 8:56:05 AM1/31/90
!st

Hello to all marxists out there !

Here is the promised list of books by or about the MARX BROTHERS.
Thanks to all who contributed.
The most often recommended were : "Harpo speaks" and
"Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and sometimes Zeppo"

Adamson, Joe
GROUCHO, HARPO, CHICO, AND SOMETIMES ZEPPO
1st Fireside ed. [1973]
New York, Simon and Schuster [1987]
Touchstone Books

Alion, Yves
LES MARX BROTHERS (french)
Paris,Edilig [1985]

Anobile, Richard J.
WHY A DUCK?
New York, Darien House [1971]

Barson, Michael (Ed.)
FLYWHEEL, SHYSTER AND FLYWHEEL, The Marx Brothers Lost Radio Show
Pantheon Books
(*)

Chandler, Charlotte
HELLO, I MUST BE GOING (Groucho and his friends)
(*)

Crichton, Kyle Samuel
THE MARX BROTHERS
Garden City, N. Y.,Doubleday, [1950]

Durgnat, Raymond
THE MARX BROTHERS (available engl/german)
Wien, Oesterreichisches Filmmuseum [1966]

Eyles, Allen
THE MARX BROTHERS
London, Zwemmer [1966]
2nd ed., New York, A. S. Barnes [1969]
3rd ed., London, Tantivy Press [1974]

Gardner, Martin A.
THE MARX BROTHERS
[1970]

Gehring, Wes D.
THE MARX BROTHERS
Popular culture bio-bibliographies, 0193-6891
New York, Greenwood Press [1987]

Grossman, Larry
MINNIE'S BOYS (Play about the Bros.)
New York, [1970]

Hoppe, Ulrich
DIE MARX BROTHERS (german)
Muenchen, Heyne, [1985]

Kaminsky, Stuart M.
YOU BET YOUR LIFE
New York, St. Martin's Press [1978]

Martini, Andrea
I MARX (italian)
Firenze, La Nuova Italia [1980]

Marx, Arthur
SON OF GROUCHO

Marx, Groucho
BEDS
GROUCHO AND ME
LETTERS FROM GROUCHO / THE GROUCHO LETTERS
MANY HAPPY RETURNS
THE MARX BROS. SCRAPBOOK
New York, Darien House [1973]
New York, Perennial Library [1989]
MEMOIRS OF A MANGY LOVER
Manor Books

Marx, Groucho & Arce, Hector
THE SECRET WORD IS GROUCHO
New York, G.P.Putnam's Sons [1976]

Marx, Harpo & Barber, Rowland
HARPO SPEAKS
New York, Bernard Geis Associates-Distributed by Random House [1961]
Limelight Editions, Distributed by Harper & Row
Coronet Books / Hodder and Stoughton

Marx, Maxine
GROWING UP WITH CHICO
Englewood Cliffs,N.J., Prentice-Hall [1980]
Limelight Editions, Distributed by Harper & Row

Tiersma, Peter Meijes.
LANGUAGE-BASED HUMOR IN THE MARX BROTHERS FILMS
Bloomington,Ind., Indiana University Linguistics Club [1985]

Wolf, William
THE MARX BROTHERS
New York, Pyramid Communications [1975]

Zimmerman, Paul D.
THE MARX BROTHERS AT THE MOVIES
[1968]
New York, Berkley Publishing, [1975]

(*) Diese Buecher gibt es auch in deutscher Uebersetzung bei :
"Heyne" oder "Fischer" oder "Rogner & Bernhard / Zweitausendeins"

Stefan st%trilli...@unido.UUCP
Timphus s...@trillian.irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
Phone: +49 231 755 4663

Mr Mojo

Feb 1, 1990, 8:01:22 PM2/1/90
st@trillian writes:

>Hello to all marxists out there !

Eight dollars for breakfast ! If I was you I wouldn't pay it.

>Here is the promised list of books by or about the MARX BROTHERS.
>Thanks to all who contributed.
>The most often recommended were : "Harpo speaks" and
>"Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and sometimes Zeppo"

My node has only just started receiving the newgroup, so I missed the
oppurtunity to contribute.

The only book I can recommend is "Groucho" by Hector Arce. It traces the Marx
brothers from their grandparents right up to Groucho's death. An excellent
book for Marxophiles.

Angst

Derek Bell

Feb 3, 1990, 5:52:39 PM2/3/90

I think there's a book of quotes of Groucho, called
The Portable Curmudgeon.
--
Derek Bell |
db...@maths.tcd.ie | Have you faith in the coming of the New Sun?

Nichael Cramer

Feb 4, 1990, 10:15:06 PM2/4/90

In article <13...@hamilton.maths.tcd.ie> db...@maths.tcd.ie (Derek Bell) writes:
> I think there's a book of quotes of Groucho, called
>The Portable Curmudgeon.

Although the _Portable Curmudgeon_ contains a section on Groucho, it's not
exclusively by or about him. Mostly, it's a collection of "quotes"
attributed to and anecdotes written about various people of alleged surly
reputation.

It's amusing enough at times, but unfortunately much of the material is
either misquoted or outright apocryphal and, annoyingly, it contains no
sources for any of the material (in this, it's very reminiscent of that
book that came out a year or so ago called something like _The End of
Everybody_ which, while probably mostly accurate, contained a fair number
of pop legends about how various historical figures died).

Furthermore, some of the choices for entries are quite strange. For
example, the book quotes Joyce from _Ulysses_: "History is a nightmare from
which I am trying to awake" (misquoted, as I recall). A real kneeslapper,
that one.

Joseph Edward Herbers

Feb 5, 1990, 4:03:43 PM2/5/90

Joseph Edward Herbers

Feb 6, 1990, 12:00:00 AM2/6/90
In article <13...@hamilton.maths.tcd.ie> db...@maths.tcd.ie (Derek Bell) writes:
> I think there's a book of quotes of Groucho, called
>The Portable Curmudgeon.

I have a copy of "The Portable Curmudgeon" which was edited and
compiled by Jon Winokur, but it is NOT all about Grouch Marx.
He is just one of the people quoted in it.

The blurb on the front reads:
"More than 1000 outrageously irreverent quotations, anecdotes,
and interviews on a vast array of subjects, from an illustrious
list of world-class grouches."

Groucho is on cover (along with two others) but he is not the subject.
Hope this helps.

Joe Herbers