Sam Raimi's _HERCULES_

KC

Jan 16, 1994, 6:56:22 PM1/16/94

Welp, I hear that Sam Raimi's TV movie, HERCULES, will be airing with
the ACTION PACK TV of William Shatner's TEKWAR. So, that means, both
will be syndicated this coming Monday, January 19, 1994, in the USA and
CANADA as well. Check your local listing and what nots.

Thank you.

This has been a message brought to you by:

(a Bruce Campbell fan)
KC

victoria mercer

Jan 17, 1994, 1:25:08 PM1/17/94
Actually 'Hercules' is NOT being aired this week. 'Action Pack' is a
series of 5 films including 'TekWar' and 'Hercules'. So keep your
eyes peeled on those local listings!

Tory

Jason John Seaver

Jan 17, 1994, 4:41:45 PM1/17/94
In article <1994Jan17.1...@scott.skidmore.edu>,

Hmmmm... Since an article about Action Pack I read somewhere
mentioned that the series would be very sequel-oriented ("Another Midnight
Run", for example), might this be where the long-rumored direct-to-video
"Darkman II" will show up (and would the Bruce-man star?)?

-Jay

Charles P. Samenow

Jan 17, 1994, 11:24:38 PM1/17/94

Last week I posted a question about how it is decided what movies will be
"filmed in" DTS, THX etc... Unfortunately, all I got were flames criticizing
my use of filmed in. Not one person bothered to answere the actual question.

Hence, now that I understand that films are not "filmed in" THX etc...
does anyone know how a film is chosen to be recorded (after filming)
in THX or DTS?

What are the differences between: DTS, Digital Dolby, Dolby, Dolby SR and THX?

Is DTS just a gimmick of Universal Pictures?

Please answer these questions ONLY! :)

-Charles
sa...@midway.uchicago.edu

Also, if you decide to mail me please cc: at...@midway.uchicago.edu

Tamas Kovacs,H3-253

Jan 17, 1994, 5:42:47 PM1/17/94
Which major cable channels (ie. WGN, WOR, TBS, or even FOX - affiliates)
might carry these movies? I saw some ads for ACTION-PACK, but for the life of me,
I can't remember which channel it was on.

Thanks for the info!

--TK

KC

Jan 17, 1994, 8:54:54 PM1/17/94
In article <1994Jan17.1...@scott.skidmore.edu>,
victoria mercer <vme...@scott.skidmore.edu> wrote:

Sorry, my mistake, I think, from the looks of it that it will be aired, two
weeks after TEK WAR, so do keep your eyes peeled for it! :)

(a Bruce Campbell fan)
KC

kch...@orion.oac.uci.edu

as...@aurora.alaska.edu

Jan 18, 1994, 5:58:43 AM1/18/94
In article <1994Jan18.0...@midway.uchicago.edu>, sa...@ellis.uchicago.edu (Charles P. Samenow) writes:
> What are the differences between: DTS, Digital Dolby, Dolby, Dolby SR and THX?
> -Charles
> sa...@midway.uchicago.edu

Well, I'm no expert, but here's what I've gathered...

Dolby - uses the same techniques as your Dolby cassettes...noise reduction,
basically.
DolbySR - the noise reduction, plus better placement of where the noises
appear to be coming from in the theatre. Stands for Dolby Spectral
Recording.
Digital Dolby - in addition to the normal sound track, a digital track is
printed between the sockets of the film. When a theatre is
equipped to read and reproduce this track, it results in near
cd quality sound (no background hiss and pops), and also uses
six tracks to place the sounds...one center, two front (left
and right), two rear (left and right), and one subwoofer
channel. End result-some of the best quality sound I've ever
heard in a movie theater. When it's used effectively, it can
be really mind-blowing.
DTS - a similar technique to Digital Dolby, only developed by Sony (if I
remember correctly) and Lucasfilm...which can cause some licensing
conflicts in theatres already set up with Digital Dolby. Competing
systems and all. Major difference...instead of using the space between
the sprocket holes, the digital track is printed in a small strip on the
edge of the film, which means the actual print can't be quite as wide.
I recently saw Schindler's list in DTS, though, and didn't see any
noticeable difference in the width of the image.
THX - developed by Lucasfilm. Not so much an improvement in the sound itself,
THX uses special placing of speakers and translation of the audio tracks
to make sure no matter where in the theatre you sit, you get the true
stereo effect...something which can suffer greatly towards the edges of
a theatre in a non-THX environment.

Where'd I get all the info? Lots of reading, and working in the only theatre
in Alaska to have Dolby Digital installed. Anchorage's Fireweed theatre was
(this may have changed by now) at the time the biggest Dolby Digital
installation on the West Coast...the auditorium sits over 900. Digital
installations has been done before, just not in an auditorium that large. Was
a more than $10,000 upgrade to the existing system. Plus, though I don't work
there anymore, the licensing agreements have been settled to the point that it
now has DTS also.

Incidentally, except for the DTS (because it's from a different company), all
of the systems are compatable. Using digital negates the need for normal Dolby
(noise reduction for digital sound?), however it's perfectly possible (and has
been done) to have a movie recorded in both Dolby Digital and THX, and I
suppose in both DTS and THX. Sounds incredible, too...

Woody

victoria mercer

Jan 18, 1994, 11:35:17 AM1/18/94
I believe all the "Action Pack" films are being shown in syndication,
so you'd have to check your local listings for dates and times. (I
found out about it in TV guide.) It seems that if the first 5 films
do well, they'll order more with the possibility of the films spinning
off into their own series'.

Tory

Lazlo Nibble

Jan 18, 1994, 5:57:57 PM1/18/94
Charles P. Samenow <sa...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Last week I posted a question about how it is decided what movies will
> be "filmed in" DTS, THX etc... Unfortunately, all I got were flames
> criticizing my use of filmed in. Not one person bothered to answere the
> actual question.
>
> Hence, now that I understand that films are not "filmed in" THX etc...
> does anyone know how a film is chosen to be recorded (after filming) in
> THX or DTS?

There's no set answer. Presumably the sound is rerecorded in a THX suite
if the producers think the improved quality is worth the extra time and
expense. Universal is making DTS soundtracks of most (if not all) of their
movies available in an attempt to force the selection of DTS as the de facto
standard for digital theatre audio.

> What are the differences between: DTS, Digital Dolby, Dolby, Dolby SR and
> THX?

DTS and Digital Dolby are digital methods for storing a film's audio tracks.
DTS stores the soundtrack on CD-ROM discs, Digital Dolby puts it in digital
form on the film itself.

In a theatrical context, Dolby usually means Dolby Surround, a method of
encoding multiple channels of sound into a normal stereo pair.

Dolby SR (Spectral Recording) is an analog noise-reduction system.

THX is a program that certifies that theatres meet Lucasfilm's standards
for sound reproduction and isolation, screen illumination, etc.

--
Lazlo (la...@unm.edu)
the walls are white and in the night the room is lit with electric light

Philip Stephens

Jan 18, 1994, 6:09:25 PM1/18/94
Charles P. Samenow writes:

>What are the differences between: DTS, Digital Dolby, Dolby, Dolby SR and THX?

Okay, first things first:

DTS, Digital Dolby, Dolby and Dolby SR can theoretically be played back in
a theatre equipped with THX. In other words, THX should be thought of as a high
quality _sound reproduction system_ as far as what the audience is exposed to.
(Strictly speaking, THX is a set of specs for high quality recording/playback
of sound).

Now for the formats:

DTS is a new digital playback system whereby the soundtrack is recorded
onto CD; the CD player is sychronised with the picture by detecting sync-marks
on the film strip. DTS was designed to be a low-cost upgrade for standard
projection equipment and sound systems. Apart from being digital, one of it's
features is that it offers discrete left and right surround channels for a more
3D-like sound.

Digital Dolby is the competing playback system: it also provides discrete left
and right surround channels. The soundtrack is recorded on the film strip as
per most film formats, and hence requires a more expensive upgrade of equipment.
I don't know whether it's meant to be "better" or "worse" than DTS in terms of
sound quality.

Dolby and Dolby SR are the current standards. They are not digital. They only
provide a single surround channel. I'm not entirely sure of the differences
between the two, except that presumably Dolby SR provides better quality sound reproduction. The soundtrack is on the film strip as per usual.

>Is DTS just a gimmick of Universal Pictures?

Not at all: it's just one of the two new digital systems vying for a share of
the market place. But I gather that Universal Pictures have decided to throw
their weight behind the process in an effort to get it accepted over Dolby
Digital.

=========== Philip Stephens, Systems Programmer, Labtam Australia ============
==== Mo: DS (B+S)t Y 2 X L W C+++ I T++ A E H++ S V+ F Q+ P++ B+ PA+ PL++ ====
"Many views yield the truth. Therefore, be not alone." -- Viggies' Prime Song

Roger Kamben

Jan 18, 1994, 6:46:54 PM1/18/94
In article <1994Jan18...@aurora.alaska.edu>, as...@aurora.alaska.edu writes:
|> In article <1994Jan18.0...@midway.uchicago.edu>, sa...@ellis.uchicago.edu (Charles P. Samenow) writes:
|> > What are the differences between: DTS, Digital Dolby, Dolby, Dolby SR and THX?
|> > -Charles
|> > sa...@midway.uchicago.edu
|>
|> Well, I'm no expert, but here's what I've gathered...

I can see that, but I'll spear you for the usual flaming.

|> Dolby - uses the same techniques as your Dolby cassettes...noise reduction,
|> basically.

No. Dolby stereo is the surround sound system we have had since the 70's.
It does however have dolby B noise reduction on it's surround channel.

|> DolbySR - the noise reduction, plus better placement of where the noises
|> appear to be coming from in the theatre. Stands for Dolby Spectral
|> Recording.

Same here. Improvement of Dolby stereo surround sound system. Improves the
systems ability to place the sounds, not the noise.

|> Digital Dolby - in addition to the normal sound track, a digital track is
|> printed between the sockets of the film. When a theatre is
|> equipped to read and reproduce this track, it results in near
|> cd quality sound (no background hiss and pops), and also uses
|> six tracks to place the sounds...one center, two front (left
|> and right), two rear (left and right), and one subwoofer
|> channel. End result-some of the best quality sound I've ever
|> heard in a movie theater. When it's used effectively, it can
|> be really mind-blowing.

|> DTS - a similar technique to Digital Dolby, only developed by Sony (if I
|> remember correctly) and Lucasfilm...which can cause some licensing
|> conflicts in theatres already set up with Digital Dolby. Competing
|> systems and all. Major difference...instead of using the space between
|> the sprocket holes, the digital track is printed in a small strip on the
|> edge of the film, which means the actual print can't be quite as wide.
|> I recently saw Schindler's list in DTS, though, and didn't see any
|> noticeable difference in the width of the image.

To my knowledge your right.

|> THX - developed by Lucasfilm. Not so much an improvement in the sound itself,
|> THX uses special placing of speakers and translation of the audio tracks
|> to make sure no matter where in the theatre you sit, you get the true
|> stereo effect...something which can suffer greatly towards the edges of
|> a theatre in a non-THX environment.

THX is just a certification of equipment. You can have speakers with or without
the THX certification. It just garantees you certain level of quality on the
equipment and installation.

|> Where'd I get all the info? Lots of reading, and working in the only theatre
|> in Alaska to have Dolby Digital installed. Anchorage's Fireweed theatre was
|> (this may have changed by now) at the time the biggest Dolby Digital
|> installation on the West Coast...the auditorium sits over 900. Digital
|> installations has been done before, just not in an auditorium that large. Was
|> a more than $10,000 upgrade to the existing system. Plus, though I don't work
|> there anymore, the licensing agreements have been settled to the point that it
|> now has DTS also.

Lucky you. Here in Norway there don't exist cinemas with digital sound, and we
have just one THX certified theatre. And that only one is located far from
where I live ( sniff ! ).

|> Incidentally, except for the DTS (because it's from a different company), all
|> of the systems are compatable. Using digital negates the need for normal Dolby
|> (noise reduction for digital sound?), however it's perfectly possible (and has
|> been done) to have a movie recorded in both Dolby Digital and THX, and I
|> suppose in both DTS and THX. Sounds incredible, too...

Of course, if they use THX certified digital equipment.
We don't get the 6 channel digital sound on our HiFi tapes though.

/ Roger

Jason John Seaver

Jan 18, 1994, 2:01:11 PM1/18/94
In article <1994Jan18.0...@midway.uchicago.edu>,

Charles P. Samenow <sa...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>Last week I posted a question about how it is decided what movies will be
>"filmed in" DTS, THX etc... Unfortunately, all I got were flames criticizing
>my use of filmed in. Not one person bothered to answere the actual question.
>
>Hence, now that I understand that films are not "filmed in" THX etc...
>does anyone know how a film is chosen to be recorded (after filming)
>in THX or DTS?
>
>What are the differences between: DTS, Digital Dolby, Dolby, Dolby SR and
>THX?

From what I gather, the Dolbys are different ways of encoding sound on
the film, all of which are backward-compatible. THX is a certification that
sound has a certain level of quality. DTS is a different way of having the
sound, in that it's on CDs that are seperate from the film and retain their
high quality etc, etc, with synch marks on the film.

>Is DTS just a gimmick of Universal Pictures?

No. Although every picture Universal's released since Jurassic Park
has had DTS, movies released by New Line *on it's own* (NOT via Columbia or
TriStar) are distributed in DTS. Gettysburg, for example, was in DTS, and I
think I remember seeing that Man's Best Friend was too. Gettysburg didn't
have the "the digital experience" trailer in front of it, though.

-Jay

KC

Jan 19, 1994, 12:39:41 AM1/19/94
In article <CJspr...@oakhill.sps.mot.com>,

No major cable is carrying it. It is under syndication so you will have to
check your tv listing to see which channel it falls under.
I know here in Los Angeles area, it is on channel 5, KTLA station.
So, better check your tv listing!

KC
kch...@orion.oac.uci.edu

KC

Jan 19, 1994, 12:40:44 AM1/19/94
In article <1994Jan18.1...@scott.skidmore.edu>,

Yeppers :) And this is true too. But I don't know about Raimi's movie
going into its seperate series, but I know a few will.

KC

Jan 19, 1994, 12:52:31 AM1/19/94
In article <2hf0mp$5...@bigboote.wpi.edu>,

Jason John Seaver <jse...@bigwpi.WPI.EDU> wrote:

> Hmmmm... Since an article about Action Pack I read somewhere
>mentioned that the series would be very sequel-oriented ("Another Midnight
>Run", for example), might this be where the long-rumored direct-to-video
>"Darkman II" will show up (and would the Bruce-man star?)?

No, this won't be where Darkman movies will appear. The Darkman movies will
be in two movie-to-home-video features. So, basically, the movies will be come
in 2 videos, and hopefully hit the shelf by this year.
And no, Bruce won't star in any one of these, but he will star in an upcoming
movie called _THE CLUMSY IDIOT_ with the Renaissance gang, whenever they start
shooting this.

Anyway, as I will repeat again, Bruce Campbell will be doing his movie after
finishing off Brisco County Jr. for this season, which should be by the
end of January of beginning of February. And he should be shooting
his movie called THE MAN WITH THE SCREAMING BRAIN soon afterwards, which
Bruce will get to direct. And no, this movie is not going thru Renaissance
because someone said that it sucked and wasn't good enough to produce (or
something to that effect). And so he is going through IRS Media to do his
movie. The movie will be filmed in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
The movie -- the basic storyline so far from what I have gathered is:
"It's a story of an uptown banker (played by Bruce Campbell, who else?) who
winds up getting a portion of his brain replaced with a Latino street hustler's
and they have to go back into the bowels of the city to look for the women
who killed them both."
As Bruce described it, "It's a modern day Frankenstein".
So, anyway, watch out for this, too.
Oh, the budget is about $5 mil for this film, so don't expect anything big
and luxurious.
And yes, Joseph Lo Duca will also being scoring this movie because Bruce asked
him. And they agreed to make the score as 'insane salsa music with a horror
bent'. :)

> -Jay

KC

Jan 19, 1994, 1:41:05 AM1/19/94

Oh forgot one more thing about Bruce Campbell, he will be appearing in the
movie, THE HUDSUCKER PROXY, which is a Coen Brothers's movie. He will be
the Newspaper man to Jennifer Jason Leigh's character. Anyway, this movie
stars Paul Newman and Tim Robbins, and the others that I already said. :)
This movie should be coming out by February of this year.

Jeremy W Perkins

Jan 19, 1994, 6:57:30 AM1/19/94
In article <1994Jan18.2...@labtam.labtam.oz.au> phi...@labtam.oz.au writes:

> Digital Dolby is the competing playback system: it also provides discrete left
>and right surround channels. The soundtrack is recorded on the film strip as
>per most film formats.

Not quite. The analogue optical soundtrack is printed in the usual position
for compatability in non-digital cinemas (and for fallback if digital fails in
a digital cinema). The digital information is placed in blocks between the
sprocket holes.
J.

David Thiel

Jan 19, 1994, 9:08:22 AM1/19/94
In article <2hih2t$l...@news.service.uci.edu> kch...@orion.oac.uci.edu (KC) writes:

>Tamas Kovacs,H3-253 <tam...@oakhill.sps.mot.com> wrote:
>>Which major cable channels (ie. WGN, WOR, TBS, or even FOX - affiliates)
>>might carry these movies? I saw some ads for ACTION-PACK, but for the life of me,
>>I can't remember which channel it was on.
>

>No major cable is carrying it. It is under syndication so you will have to
>check your tv listing to see which channel it falls under.

Check next week's TV GUIDE. WGN is carrying it Tuesday, January 25th at 7pm
(Central Time). Check your local listings for accurate airtime.

David Thiel / Traffic Manager
WILL-TV / University of Illinois / Urbana
Internet: d-t...@uiuc.edu

"You see? You see? Your stupid minds! STUPID! STUPID!"
Eros, PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE

Alan Jay

Jan 19, 1994, 9:20:10 AM1/19/94

Firstly one of the earlier articles taked about films of the 50s that appeared
to have sound dialogue that followed the actors around. In early 70mm
(6 discrete tracks) there were 5 screen based speakers and one for effects.
So you has left left-centre centre right-centre right. The effects
required in the 60's meant that the two extra chanels were lost to the
left/right surround and sub channels. Also remeber that with the standard
Dolby Stereo system you place almost 100% of the dialogue in the centre channel.

<as...@aurora.alaska.edu> wrote:
>Well, I'm no expert, but here's what I've gathered...

Not too bad but a couple of points.

>Dolby - uses the same techniques as your Dolby cassettes...noise reduction,
> basically.

Dolby Stereo - the 4 track encoded into 2 (left center right surround)
Plus noise reduction.

>DolbySR - the noise reduction, plus better placement of where the noises
> appear to be coming from in the theatre. Stands for Dolby Spectral
> Recording.

I was told that this uses a different noise reduction system that is compatible
with normal decoding but is enhanced with the Dolby SR decoding matrix (I
don't know this for a fact).

>Digital Dolby - in addition to the normal sound track, a digital track is
> printed between the sockets of the film. When a theatre is
> equipped to read and reproduce this track, it results in near
> cd quality sound (no background hiss and pops), and also uses
> six tracks to place the sounds...one center, two front (left
> and right), two rear (left and right), and one subwoofer
> channel. End result-some of the best quality sound I've ever
> heard in a movie theater. When it's used effectively, it can
> be really mind-blowing.

Correct except that it uses lossy compression and only has 5.1 tracks
encoded (left centre right surroud-left surround-right sub-woofer[the.1])

I would add that I have heard some down right awful SR-D presentations.

>DTS - a similar technique to Digital Dolby, only developed by Sony (if I

not sony see below for their system.

> remember correctly) and Lucasfilm...which can cause some licensing

Not LucasFilm either.

> conflicts in theatres already set up with Digital Dolby. Competing

System is owned by Universal.

> systems and all. Major difference...instead of using the space between
> the sprocket holes, the digital track is printed in a small strip on the
> edge of the film, which means the actual print can't be quite as wide.

NO there is only a track with SMTP time code which is liked to a PC with either
one or two CD-ROM drives that contain either the 4 or 6 track digital recording.

(the 4 track is dolby stereo compatible ie 2 track with 4 encoded DTS-S)
(the 6 track has 6 discrete channels left centre right left-surround
right-surround sub-woofer).

> I recently saw Schindler's list in DTS, though, and didn't see any
> noticeable difference in the width of the image.
>THX - developed by Lucasfilm. Not so much an improvement in the sound itself,
> THX uses special placing of speakers and translation of the audio tracks
> to make sure no matter where in the theatre you sit, you get the true
> stereo effect...something which can suffer greatly towards the edges of
> a theatre in a non-THX environment.

THX is a certification process - other have talked about so I won't say more.

The one system that you have left out is the SONY systems SSDS so far only
seen on a few films and only available in a handful of cinemas.
SSDS is an 8 track compressed (lossy) digital systed (probably bears a
resemblance to the compression used in mini-disk). The channels are
left left-centre centre right-centre right left-surround right-surround
sub-woofer. The system places the digital tracks on the outside of the
sproket holes (both sides) and is claimed to have 100% redundancy to
enable it to cope with scratches etc. The system is designed to offer
output in 4, 6 or 8 channels that is selectable at instalation time from
the standard kit depending on what the cinema has available. If the film
was only recored in 4 or 6 track then the system will fill in the extra
chanels using technology similar to Pro-Logic.

The presentation I saw of "In the Line of Fire" was very impressive.
Sony's problem is that they are third in the race.

ALan

--
ALan Jay
al...@ibmpcug.co.uk, PC User Group, PO Box 360, HARROW HA1 4LQ, ENGLAND

Cal Lott

Jan 19, 1994, 4:10:47 PM1/19/94
pjh...@rigel.tamu.edu (Pascal Hua) writes:

>Where does UltraStereo fit in? We have a new 16 screen movie house with 4
>THX approved screens, of which one or two have DTS. The rest are advertised
>as Ultrastereo. Would Lucas allow Ultroastereo decoding to be certified as
>meeting THX standards, or are the 4 THX screens Dolby?

Interesting question. I know jack about Ultra Stereo, but my
wild-assed guess is that it is probably a method of decoding or
decoding standard Dolby-compatible matrix surround from an optical/
analog stereo soundtrack. It may be intended as a compatible
"improvement" over standard theatrical Dolby encoding/decoding.

The THX Theater Alignment Program certification standards are,
to my knowledge, independent of any particular encoding/decoding
scheme. I have seen DTS and Dolby Digital films in THX-approved
houses, and the results were very good. I am pretty sure that I
remember seeing the "Deep Note" trailer before the DTS-6 screening of
JURASSIC PARK that I saw at McClurg Court this summer.

Regards,

-Cal
"From all us Slackers to all you Boomers ... HAHAHAHAHAHA! WE HAVE
SATELLITE MOUNTED RAIL-GUNS! HEH HEH. Who's laughing now?"-- S. Lang

Pascal Hua

Jan 19, 1994, 12:44:33 PM1/19/94
Where does UltraStereo fit in? We have a new 16 screen movie house with 4
THX approved screens, of which one or two have DTS. The rest are advertised
as Ultrastereo. Would Lucas allow Ultroastereo decoding to be certified as
meeting THX standards, or are the 4 THX screens Dolby?

Tim Kalafut
tsk...@rigel.tamu.edu
Gig 'em Ags

Jeffry L. Johnson

Jan 20, 1994, 2:07:43 AM1/20/94
<1994Jan18.2...@labtam.labtam.oz.au> <1994Jan19.1...@aber.ac.uk>
<pjh3142-19...@sewild1.tamu.edu>

In a previous article, pjh...@rigel.tamu.edu (Pascal Hua) says:

>Where does UltraStereo fit in? We have a new 16 screen movie house with 4
>THX approved screens, of which one or two have DTS. The rest are advertised
>as Ultrastereo. Would Lucas allow Ultroastereo decoding to be certified as
>meeting THX standards, or are the 4 THX screens Dolby?

Ultra*Stereo is a less expensive "clone" of the standard Dolby processor. I
think the Ultra*Stereo processors are better than the other "clone" systems I
have heard.

Some of the Ultra*Stereo processors are THX approved.
--
Jeffry L. Johnson CWRU Film Society Alumnus
Technologist, HLA Lab, Institute of Pathology, CWRU/Univ. Hosp. of Cleveland

Gihan Karunaratne

Jan 20, 1994, 1:06:53 PM1/20/94
In article <2hjfiq$2...@natalie.ibmpcug.co.uk>, al...@ibmpcug.co.uk (Alan Jay) writes:
|> In article <1994Jan18...@aurora.alaska.edu>,
|> <as...@aurora.alaska.edu> wrote:
|> >
|> The one system that you have left out is the SONY systems SSDS so far only
|> seen on a few films and only available in a handful of cinemas.

I believe the Sony system is SDDS (Sony Dynamic Digital Sound)

Gihan R. Karunaratne
Bell-Northern Research, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 4H7
e-mail: gi...@bnr.ca (INTERNET)

Adam Bernardi

Jan 21, 1994, 3:27:01 AM1/21/94
To: pjh...@rigel.tamu.edu,Internet

p> Where does UltraStereo fit in?

UltraStereo is essentially the same as Dolby A. It's cheaper because the
quality control is not as extensive, but if mantained, is fine and will decode
Dolby A. You can also mix a film in UltraStereo and decode it in a Dolby A
theatre.
Adam

- BulkRate 1.7 - it keeps going, and going, and going...

--
DigitalPopcorn <in...@pop.com>

Lazlo Nibble

Jan 21, 1994, 1:48:07 PM1/21/94
Pascal Hua <pjh...@rigel.tamu.edu> wrote:

> Where does UltraStereo fit in?

Ultra-Stereo is an off-name (and therefore less expensive) Dolby Surround
clone. I don't know if there's any THX-certified Ultra-Stereo decoding
equipment, but I suspect there isn't.

--
Lazlo (la...@unm.edu)

Kenneth Almquist

Jan 22, 1994, 12:41:33 AM1/22/94
Dolby stereo is four tracks (screen left, screen center, screen right,
and surrounds). I'm pretty sure that UltraStereo is one of the systems
that drops screen left and screen right, providing only screen center
and surrounds.

> Would Lucas allow Ultrastereo decoding to be certified as

> meeting THX standards, or are the 4 THX screens Dolby?

I certainly hope that a theater can't be THX certified if it doesn't
reproduce all the channels!

How can you tell if a theater has screen left and screen right channels?
Typically trailers are played in mono. If you listen for it, you can
usually hear the improvement in sound quality when the stereo decoder
cuts in and the screen left and screen right speakers come on line.
Otherwise, you can walk down to the front of the theater during the
closing credits. Typically films have music with a good stereo mix at
this point, and if you stand beside the screen you can tell whether
there is a speaker there.
Kenneth Almquist

Michel Hafner

Jan 28, 1994, 7:05:37 AM1/28/94
In article <1994Jan27....@amylnd.stgt.sub.org> ag...@amylnd.stgt.sub.org (Matthias Zepf) writes:
>Roger Kamben (kam...@alkymi.unit.no) schrieb:

>> No. Dolby stereo is the surround sound system we have had since the 70's.
>> It does however have dolby B noise reduction on it's surround channel.
>
>Wasn't it invented for Star Wars (1977/78)??

>> Lucky you. Here in Norway there don't exist cinemas with digital
>> sound, and we have just one THX certified theatre. And that only
>> one is located far from where I live ( sniff ! ).
>
>Now, we have four THX cinemas in Stuttgart (South Germany), two of
>them are new. But believe me, THX is not the world. I visited one
>of that new THX cinemas and all I heart was the noise of the film
>projector ... :(

Where were you sitting? In the last row next to the screening room?
Is leakage of the projection noises into the auditorium not a violation of
THX standards?
And what movie did you see? It was a dubbed movie anyway, I guess. And dubbing
interferes with the original sound mix.
Anyway, your experience is in no way representative for a good THX epxerience
that is awesome, given a suitable movie.
MH

--
Michel Hafner |\ /||\ /|| Email: haf...@ifi.unizh.ch
Dept. of Computer Science | \/ || \/ || Tel.: +41 1 257 4317

Matthias Zepf

Jan 27, 1994, 8:56:21 AM1/27/94
Roger Kamben (kam...@alkymi.unit.no) schrieb:

> No. Dolby stereo is the surround sound system we have had since the 70's.
> It does however have dolby B noise reduction on it's surround channel.

Wasn't it invented for Star Wars (1977/78)??

> Lucky you. Here in Norway there don't exist cinemas with digital

> sound, and we have just one THX certified theatre. And that only
> one is located far from where I live ( sniff ! ).

Now, we have four THX cinemas in Stuttgart (South Germany), two of

them are new. But believe me, THX is not the world. I visited one
of that new THX cinemas and all I heart was the noise of the film
projector ... :(

Matthias
--
** Matthias Zepf, Riegelaeckerstrasse 27, 71 229 Leonberg, Germany **
** +49 7152 41917 Email: ag...@amylnd.stgt.sub.org (use NeXTmail!) **

Anthony Horan

Jan 30, 1994, 8:13:35 AM1/30/94
In article <CK0nt...@cbfsb.cb.att.com>, Kenneth Almquist writes:

> Dolby stereo is four tracks (screen left, screen center, screen right,
> and surrounds). I'm pretty sure that UltraStereo is one of the systems
> that drops screen left and screen right, providing only screen center
> and surrounds.

Nope. Ultra-Stereo is a 4 channel Dolby-compatible matrix, with a smaller
licensing fee than asked by Dolby.

Anthony Horan, Melbourne Australia - ant...@xymox.apana.org.au
"I kind of feel like I'm Metallica..."
- Tori Amos on the perils of long tours, November 1992