Rechargeable Lithium/Polymer 9 volts (First Report)

Chris Coughlin

Sep 9, 2006, 2:43:26 AM9/9/06
Hello Vast Rampness,

All right, so I gave in to the "temptation" of rechargeable 9 volt
batteries and here is what I experienced on my first day of production.
I bought eight I-Power Lithium/Polymer 500ma (Li-Po) rechargeable batts
from Trew. I was working on a corporate doc-style shoot with 2 Lectro
UM-400's matched with Countryman B-6 lavs and a wireless boom system
consisting of a Lectro UH-400a transmitter powering a Schoeps CMC-6 w/
MK-41 HyperCapsule. (FYI: I already use Lithium NP batteries to power
my mixer and RF receivers in my Porta-brace bag). After replacing the
existing 9 Volt alkalines in my transmitters with the Li-Po batts I
noticed that the battery status indicators on the UCR-411a receivers
showed the battery charge condition as two bars down (this on fully
charged Li-Po 9 volts). Then I remembered that the 411's have software
adjustments to deal with different battery chemistry, (man I love the
current state of RF technology). So I reset to the Lithium Battery
setting and lo and behold the Battery Status indicator showed a fully
charged battery.

We began the day with 4 hours of sit down interviews. I usually
use my wireless instead of wired mics to speed up production and keep
wires to a minimum. Plus the digital hybrids sound so good and stay in
phase without the delay of mixing wires and RF's. Normally I would
consider switching out the transmitter 9 volts before the afternoon
shots to assure that I don't lose a link, but seeing as the battery
indication showed only one bar down, I decided to continue with the
same batts and see if they would last throughout the day. Sure enough
after another 6 hours of use they still had a considerable charge left
in them. They still didn't run out before the end of the day, so I
don't know how much longer they will go. I'm sure that I will get an
opportunity to give them the 16 hour day test soon enough, but I
thought that I would report my first day of use and see what others
have experienced.

If they work well I will make many fewer trip to the recycle bins
with my half-dead 9 volts. The charger system with the I-Power batts is
small and little "consumery" but hey I figure that spending about $90.
on four 9-volts will save me about $800. over the expected life of the
batteries. I will of course still carry traditional alkaline batts as
back up. My only fear is that some "helpful/clueless" person will
change the Li-Po batteries out at the end of the day and throw them
out, aaaaaaa!

Thanks for Listening to my "current affairs"

Chris Coughlin
SF Bay Area

Quote: "An open mic is much more dangerous that an open lens"

peter...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2006, 5:14:51 AM9/9/06
Hi there

I've been using the newer 500mah Ipower's for a few weeks now too. So
far they've been superb - much longer run time than alkalines, and the
smaller size means they fit in IFB's. (I had the original 400'a but
they were a fraction too big and proved unreliable - they've obviously
sorted something out becuase these new ones are much better).

Regards

Peter Kraan

Larry Fisher

Sep 9, 2006, 8:37:22 AM9/9/06
Hi Chris,
You should be getting 5 hours plus with a 500 mAh iPower in a UM400 and
about the same with a UH400 depending on what phantom power drain you
have. So I'm a little curious about your numbers. (??)
Thanks for the report and any follow up.
LarryF
Lectro

Oleg Kaizerman

Sep 9, 2006, 8:49:26 AM9/9/06
Hanukah miracle :-)

--
Oleg Kaizerman (gebe) Hollyland
"Larry Fisher" <fishe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Oleg Kaizerman

Sep 9, 2006, 8:52:09 AM9/9/06
Larry do something changed in the battery status on 411 , don't remember
there are bars for capacity or any 9v lithium battery indication

--
Oleg Kaizerman (gebe) Hollyland

Chris Coughlin

Sep 9, 2006, 11:57:41 PM9/9/06
Hi Larry,

I will be the first to say that my experiment was not in any way
scientific or a bench test the likes of which you gave this battery.
All I am relating is my first experience with the system. I do turn off
my transmiters when the schedule allows. But I was amazed that these
batts got me through an average length day with some to spare and my
alkalines have not as of late. I will report back with any additional
notes. I must say that your test and reports on the battery encouraged
me to give them a try. Thanks very much for a thorough evaluation.

Best, Chris

Lectro...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2006, 8:56:46 AM9/10/06
Hi Chris,
That makes sense now. We found 20% more life over the best standard
alkaline (Eveready) so your experience is right in line. I only hope
that the manufacturing quality (consistency) of the batteries holds up
over time. The recent 500 mA have been great. Again, thanks for the
real world input.
LarryF
Lectro

Oleg Kaizerman

Sep 10, 2006, 9:39:03 AM9/10/06
10 hours working time ?

<Lectro...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Fernando

Sep 10, 2006, 2:44:22 PM9/10/06
Hi all. I was curious too... my Ultralife lithium run the UM400 for 9h
/ 9h 30min without switching off.
If iPower are giving 10h is great... so wich are the good numbers
finally?

Fernando

Altman

Sep 10, 2006, 3:50:11 PM9/10/06
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a set of these batteries as well. I
have only used them on a couple jobs so far, but the results have been
similar to Larry's tests. Without timing them, they just seem to last
longer than my normal alkalines. I have been very happy so far; I am
expecting to save a lot of money!

Just one question Larry, does switching the tx on and off (as in
between setups) waste the battery? I had a very run and gun shoot with
many locations where I would turn off the talents tx's when we would
all get in our cars for the next loc. The actually shooting time that
day was definitely less than five hours, but I had one battery change
towards the end of the day. Thanks!

Larry Fisher

Sep 10, 2006, 4:58:00 PM9/10/06
Hi Fernando, Oleg and Altman,
Chris was turning the transmitter on and off and that's how he was able
to work a full day. He cleared that up on a second post. Altman,
turning the transmitter on and off does not waste the battery. On
alkalines, it will actually increase the total run time. That is not as
true on the iPower but it will help a little, if anything. The
important thing to remember, is that under any conditions, a newish
iPower 500 mAh will outlast an alkaline battery, particularly at high
drains or when cold. My guess is that after 50 full charge-discharges,
it will be equal to an alkaline as far as capacity. That's based on our
tests, iPower's website and a wet finger in the wind.
Best Regards,
LarryF
Lectro