wiring t-shirt

1 view

johnco

Jul 15, 2002, 6:13:44 PM7/15/02
Can anyone give me any tips for hiding a lav mic under a t-shirt? I've
tried lots of different ways, but still get too much clothes rustle.

Thanks to all.

Mike Hall

Jul 15, 2002, 7:16:33 PM7/15/02
Try several turns of elastic bandage high up on the chest over the
depression at the breast bone. Tuck the mic. element between the layers
just peeking out. and secure the cable.

Mike Hall.

Tourtelot

Jul 15, 2002, 9:23:06 PM7/15/02
What kind of mic? I clip a white sonotrim right into the collar with a
vampire clip and run the wire around the collar and down the back. May need
a little pore-tape to secure the wire. Sounds okay (maybe a bit up under
the chin for your taste but it's okay), doesn't print through the shirt, and
no clothing noise. I find that the longer I do this, the simpler the rig,
mostly, the better all around. I used to spend hours taping and tucking and
phutzing. Now I need about 30 seconds a wire and they generally sound
better. YMMV.

D.

"johnco" <joh...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Adam D. Sperry

Jul 15, 2002, 11:46:26 PM7/15/02
Tape it inside the shirt, then tape the mic to the body. Hopefully
that will keep it immobile.

David Glasser

Jul 16, 2002, 7:36:53 AM7/16/02
My favorite method is to purchase 1½ to 2 inch wide elastic from a
notions shop, cut it to fit around the actor's chest and stitch bra
hooks onto each end.
A round mic, such as a coutryman B3 or Sanken COS-11 is fitted behind
the strap in front of the chest cavity with the tip of the mic
protruding just above the strap and secured with surgical tape. This
gives a very clean line and is unnoticeable even on a tight T-shirt.
I have used this on action shows for some time, and a correctly sized
strap will not slip from the actor's chest.

Ray Collins

Jul 16, 2002, 12:50:35 PM7/16/02
I'm with Doug T on this one, every time I have tried tape, belts etc, the
wardrobe department either have a thin weight T that you can see through, or
the cable or mic, raises the T shirt so that it reads. Moleskin on the
collar works most of the time. If the hair is long enough don't forget
about mounting in the hair.

Tourtelot

Jul 16, 2002, 4:03:43 PM7/16/02
Guys with THAT much chest hair scare me! <g>.

D.

"Ray Collins" <rc...@intergate.ca> wrote in message

johnco

Jul 16, 2002, 8:53:16 PM7/16/02
Hey, these are great ideas. I've been having some success with a 1"x3"
piece of moleskin stuck to the back of a sonotrim, and the 2 'wings'
stuck to the inside of the shirt. I bunch up the moleskin to form a
kind of 'tunnel' for the mic, so the front of the mic doesn't contact
the shirt. It's easy, sounds good with very little rustle, but tends
to twist the fabric a bit. Any solutions for this?

How else does moleskin get used?

fabian oliver

Jul 16, 2002, 10:11:36 PM7/16/02

I use most of times PSC millimics.
The "Gaurd Mount "goes perfect into the cavity of the chest ( if the
talent has one !!)

I built specials " guard mount " for mke2 with a little rubber circle,
and a good polish semicircle.
Ah !, i polish too the guard mounts from psc ( now they shine, and any
cotton fiber can be hooked by it)

But a lot of hair chest is always a problem in this set up.

Fabian.

Noah Timan

Jul 17, 2002, 11:42:39 AM7/17/02

If you're using a sonotrim, why not use a vampire clip instead of a bunched-up
piece of moleskin? You can use it in the way Doug T. explained. Thread the
"fangs" through the second layer of the double-stitched collar for
invisibility, dress the cable properly so it doesn't pull on the collar (you
can use moleskin to secure it), and the fabric will look fine. The vampire
clip will prevent any rubbing of the microphone element against the shirt, and
a cotton T-shirt will be unlikely to give you any acoustic clothing noise.

How else does moleskin get used? >>

If talent's okay with it, you can also use a similar sized-piece of moleskin
(or a band-aid, or anything soft and skin-safe) and attach the mic directly to
the skin in the chest cavity. But it's always good to ask permission first,
and skip it if the actor is sweaty as the moleskin will inevitably loosen and
fall.

Good luck!

Regards,

Noah Timan

John Garrett

Jul 17, 2002, 3:33:30 PM7/17/02
Have wardrobe buy t shirts with a pocket in them. Cut a hole in the back of the
pocket and put an axial-firing lav [Countryman B3, forinstance] in the corner of
the pocket right at the top, using double stick, or goop. Works a charm.

G. John Garrett, CAS

Mike Hall

Jul 17, 2002, 3:58:44 PM7/17/02
I have generally found any body mic mounted close to the neck and inside the jaw
line to have a 'tubby' sound. Have you not experienced this?

Mike Hall

Charles Tomaras

Jul 18, 2002, 1:30:24 AM7/18/02
B-6 deadcenter on a piece of medical tape affixed directly to the inside of the shirt. If
you are careful when pressing the tape on you won't have a dimple. The thin B-6 wire
doesn't read and the tape on the back side of the element is quiet even against the
hairiest of chests.

My two cents!

Charlie

"Noah Timan" <noah...@aol.com> wrote in message

Noah Timan

Jul 18, 2002, 3:16:32 PM7/18/02
<< I have generally found any body mic mounted close to the neck and inside the
jaw
line to have a 'tubby' sound. Have you not experienced this?

Mike Hall >>

Yeah, I have, but most T-shirt collars are low enough to clear the jawline. A
button-down shirt collar is a different story, and I certainly wouldn't
recommend this as a good spot.

NVT

BrunoSound

Jul 19, 2002, 9:21:28 PM7/19/02
I second Charlie's remark!

<< B-6 deadcenter on a piece of medical tape affixed directly to the inside of
the shirt. If
you are careful when pressing the tape on you won't have a dimple. The thin B-6
wire
doesn't read and the tape on the back side of the element is quiet even against
the
hairiest of chests.

My two cents! >>

Bruno Strapko CAS