Sound Effects Creation Question

1 view

still...@my-deja.com

Jun 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/12/00
Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone out there could educate me regarding the
creation of a particular sound effect...

I found an old "Making of DUNE" clip on a videotape recently. One
section featured the late, great Alan Splet creating a voice for the
third stage guild navigator that visits the emperor at the beginning of
the film. The clip showed him playing back the audio of the actor's
voice doing a line reading, then combining his voice with the
attributes of a squeaking hinge on a door to create the final effect.

Needless to say, I found this process absolutely fascinating,
especially it was being done without the aid of an audio workstation.
What the hell do you call what he was doing? How does it work? Are
there any bits of info you can direct me to on the 'net? Any info on
the would be most welcome.

All the Best,
Patrick
still...@my-deja.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Scott Dorsey

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
In article <8i3ojk$qdc$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, <still...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Hello all!
>
>I was wondering if anyone out there could educate me regarding the
>creation of a particular sound effect...
>
>I found an old "Making of DUNE" clip on a videotape recently. One
>section featured the late, great Alan Splet creating a voice for the
>third stage guild navigator that visits the emperor at the beginning of
>the film. The clip showed him playing back the audio of the actor's
>voice doing a line reading, then combining his voice with the
>attributes of a squeaking hinge on a door to create the final effect.
>
>Needless to say, I found this process absolutely fascinating,
>especially it was being done without the aid of an audio workstation.
>What the hell do you call what he was doing? How does it work? Are
>there any bits of info you can direct me to on the 'net? Any info on
>the would be most welcome.

He was probably using a ring modulator. You can find details in the
Craig Anderton _Electronic Projects For Musicians_ book.

Emerson Lake and Palmer wouldn't have been the same without it.

It's possible that a vocoder was being used, though less likely. Without
seeing or hearing it I can't say.
--scott

svene.c...@folkbildning.net

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
*** post for free via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

There is an article about sound in Dune
Gentry, Ric: Alan Splet and sound effects for Dune American cinematographer dec 84 (page 62 -72 )

//Sven E Carlsson
www.filmsound.org

Sent via the SoundSpeed Movie Database
http://www.soundspeedmovie.com
"The site for production sound"

**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ****

*** Newsfeeds.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***
http://www.newsfeeds.com    | http://www.newsfeeds.com

* Anonymous posting server! | * Totally Uncensored!
* SUPER Servers! | * Over 80,000 Newsgroups!
* BINARIES ONLY Servers! | * 16 seperate Newsgroup Servers!
* SPAM FILTERED Server! | * Instant access!
* ADULT ONLY Server! | * Multiple OC 3's and OC 12's!
* MP3 ONLY Server! | * 99% Article Completion!
* MULTIMEDIA ONLY Server! | * Months of Retention!
* 7 UNCENSORED Newsgroup Servers | * Lightning FAST downloads!

http://www.newsfeeds.com | http://www.newsfeeds.com
  **** Point your newsreader to post.newsfeeds.com ****

Randy Thom

James

Jun 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/17/00
This is very interesting is there other ways to combine the two different
sounds together? to create a new sound? like combining the character
of a snare drum with a door slam??
Thanks

--
"It ain't worth a thing if it ain't got the swing!"

Randy Thom <rand...@aol.com> wrote in message

Jay Rose

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00

|: This is very interesting is there other ways to combine the two different

|: sounds together? to create a new sound? like combining the character
|: of a snare drum with a door slam??

Vocoding modulates a sound effect (or music cue) with the formants from a
speaking voice.

There are plenty of programs that'll take the envelope of one sound and
apply it to a different wave.

And there are all sorts of cross modulations and level-sensitive filters
you can apply in a synth.

--
Jay Rose <<jay at dplay dotcom>>
Clio/Emmy-winning Sound Designer

Michael McInnis

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00

"Jay Rose" <noLun...@tiac.net> wrote in message

> |: This is very interesting is there other ways to combine the two
different
> |: sounds together? to create a new sound? like combining the character
> |: of a snare drum with a door slam??

Digital convolution can create hybrid sounds from two recordings. Sonic
Foundry's Direct X plugin (PC) Acoustic Mirror uses convolution to
superimpose reverbs on other sounds(a great way to match ADR to production
sound), but can be easily used to cross-mutate any two sounds.

Convolution is also available in Cool Edit Pro on the PC and I'm sure in
other packages for the Mac.

Another route for interesting hybid effects is FFT analysis and resynthesis
where the harmonic content of each sound is broken into a complex array of
sine waves which then can be added together, morphed, or manipulated in
other complex ways. Csound can do this, as well as the Kyma system from
Symbolic Sound.

Regards,

MM

Michael McInnis Productions