Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Ty Ford

ungelesen,
30.10.2006, 17:40:0130.10.06
an
Hey,

Is this thing hooey or what and if it is, then what isn't?

http://www.psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp

Regards,

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

martin griffith

ungelesen,
30.10.2006, 18:40:4630.10.06
an
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:40:01 -0500, in
rec.arts.movies.production.sound Ty Ford <tyre...@comcast.net>
wrote:

well, first glance at the graphs ( had a bottle of wine) and was
wondering what harmonics at -40 and -50 mean in real life, that is
actually quite small, less than 1%

Then what do you do with this really nice sine power, you convert it
back to DC with a bridge rectifier doobry, which will provide loadsa
harmonicons (TM), then stuff it into some 7815/7915 regulators which
will give 50dBs crap rejection at up to 10K
http://www.national.com/opf/LM/LM7815C.html#Datasheet
page 5

Think it failed the bottle of wine test, just trying to confuse the
user with stats, or maybe lack of them.
Probably a descent common mode RF filter would be just as good

Hic, g'night

martin

Soundhaspriority

ungelesen,
30.10.2006, 21:10:2930.10.06
an

"Ty Ford" <tyre...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Hey,
>
> Is this thing hooey or what and if it is, then what isn't?
>
> http://www.psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp
>
> Regards,
>
> Ty

The article is correct in one respect: it exposes the fact that mass market
line conditioners are virtually empty boxes that serve as proxies for
insurance policies. You buy it; you're covered. The box is almost no more
than a software dongle, entitling the user to collect on the policy.

The device is bullshit, and the article is bullshit. But it is possible to
clean power very effectively, using a ferroresonant device. Such devices
require large inductance, and hence, large mass, and limit current flow
according to the gauge with which the inductor is wound. It is feasible to
build a "tank circuit" that resonates a line frequency, and use the
electrical inertia of the circuit to serve as a reference for a "wave
tracking" surge protector, which clips the difference between the expected
value of the sine, and the deviation. ZeroSurge http://www.zerosurge.com/,
Control Concepts, and some companies licensed by ZeroSurge, use similar
technologies. The filtering characteristic of a 60 Hz tank circuit is very
effective against sine deviations.

However, noise is complex. There is common mode, normal mode, wide band, as
well as hum problems. If hum bothers you, balanced power is the solution. In
reality, it could take several devices to treat the combination of problems
at a location. More commonly, it takes none.

Bob Morein
Dresher, PA
(215) 646-4894

rsm...@bsstudios.com

ungelesen,
30.10.2006, 21:51:0730.10.06
an

Hooey!

This is the way to take care of the whole problem:

http://www.baldor.com/products/generators/glc.asp

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Jeff C

ungelesen,
31.10.2006, 08:46:0131.10.06
an
Anyone ever hear of or use products from this company?
http://www.equitech.com/index.html

Eric Toline

ungelesen,
31.10.2006, 09:06:5431.10.06
an

Re: A Power Conditioner Question

Group: rec.arts.movies.production.sound Date: Tue, Oct 31, 2006, 5:46am
(EST-3) From: soundm...@gmail.com (Jeff C)

Anyone ever hear of or use products from this company?
http://www.equitech.com/index.html
J<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

There's been lots of discussion about balanced power over on
rec.audio.pro. A search of the archives there should bring up lots of
opinions both pro and con.

Eric

Larry Fisher

ungelesen,
31.10.2006, 10:53:5931.10.06
an
Hooey.
Two points:
One, no where in the "discussion" is any evidence shown that clipped
sine waves generate some problems in a particular piece of gear that
beautiful sine waves don't. Most equipment is perfectly happy with a
flattened sine wave input. In fact, the peak input currents in the
usual power supply will be lower and spread put over time. You could
make a good argument that clipped sine waves are in fact beneficial to
the power supply.

Two, the first thing that happens to that input sine wave is that it
is converted to some very ugly spikes of current in a regular supply
and chopped up into really, really ugly fragments by a switching power
supply (depending on the design). Also, if you looked at the current
being drawn from the AC line by any audio equipment, it wouldn't be
recognizable as having started out as a sine wave. Ground loop
problems are primarily current loop problems and the voltage drops
associated with that current flow.

As I started out asking, where is the illustration of some problem
being solved by beautiful power. Or as a infamous person once said,
"Snake Oil. It bites."

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:40:01 -0500, Ty Ford <tyre...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Richard Crowley

ungelesen,
02.11.2006, 12:17:2102.11.06
an
"Jeff C" wrote ...

> Anyone ever hear of or use products from this company?
> http://www.equitech.com/index.html

While the concept of balanced power appears to be legitimate,
it is troubling to note this kind of snake-oil marketingspeak...

"Oxygen-free copper wiring is used throughout the wall system
assembly. Hand-made oxygen-free copper wiring jumpers and
wiring harnesses are used in the assembly process that help to
minimize high frequency current distortion. This method of wiring
effectively increases the bandwidth of noise attenuation, especially
compared to ordinary copper wire."
http://www.equitech.com/products/industrial/wall.html

Perhaps they are forced to use such balderdash in order to
market to their customers who have such quaint beliefs?
It rather reduces their credibility in my book.

Charles Tomaras

ungelesen,
02.11.2006, 22:42:3702.11.06
an

"Richard Crowley" <rcro...@xp7rt.net> wrote in message

Next thing you know it, Lectrosonics will be advertising they are lead free!
Can't trust any of them. :)

Richard Crowley

ungelesen,
03.11.2006, 09:07:0303.11.06
an
"Charles Tomaras" wrote...

> Next thing you know it, Lectrosonics will be advertising
> they are lead free! Can't trust any of them. :)

At least they can use the excuse that ROHS is required
by the EU, irrespective of its dubious benefits.

sanmig...@gmail.com

ungelesen,
03.11.2006, 12:00:5903.11.06
an
Here's a link to some "audiophile" power conditioners...
http://store.acousticsounds.com/category.cfm?section=equipment&id=49
It's just amazing how much money some of these cost.
~
Sergio

G. John Garrett, C.A.S

ungelesen,
03.11.2006, 12:05:3403.11.06
an
sanmig...@gmail.com wrote:

Balanced power is a good thing, especially in electronic music generation. You
can do it with a single transformer. The problem is when you plug something into
the outlet strip that has an electrical ground elsewhere, then it unbalances the
power again.

John

0 neue Nachrichten