Piano movies?

Mark Cory Davis

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Looking for recommendations for movies having a theme/plot
relating to the piano...

Thanks.

--Mark

Mark C. Davis University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
mda...@engin.umich.edu Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Office: (313) 764-0686 http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~mdavis

Donna Suarez

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

The Piano
--
Donna Suarez
E-mail: dsu...@cts.com

Mark Cory Davis <mda...@stirling.engin.umich.edu> wrote in article
<5edisp$3k9$2...@news.eecs.umich.edu>...

Becky Wurm Clark

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Mark Cory Davis (mda...@stirling.engin.umich.edu) wrote:
: Looking for recommendations for movies having a theme/plot
: relating to the piano...

The Competition, with Richard Dreyfus and Amy Irving.

--
+-- -- -- -- --- -- -- -- --+
| Becky Wurm Clark "'If we bring a little joy |

Axrd

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Mark Cory Davis writes:

>Looking for recommendations for
>movies having a theme/plot
>relating to the piano...

Check out "Five Thousand Fingers of Dr. T."

Alex

Cyndi Christensen

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Donna Suarez wrote:

> The Piano
> --
> Donna Suarez
> E-mail: dsu...@cts.com
> Webpage: http://www.users.cts.com/sd/d/dsuarez
>
> Mark Cory Davis <mda...@stirling.engin.umich.edu> wrote in article
> <5edisp$3k9$2...@news.eecs.umich.edu>...
> Looking for recommendations for movies having a theme/plot
> relating to the piano...
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Mark
>
> --
> --
> Mark C. Davis University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
> mda...@engin.umich.edu Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
> Office: (313) 764-0686 http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~mdavis

The Piano
A Song to Remember
Song Without End
The Eddie Duchin Story

Bob Kuzyk

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

BWC>>Mark Cory Davis (mda...@stirling.engin.umich.edu) wrote:
BWC>>: Looking for recommendations for movies having a theme/plot
BWC>>: relating to the piano...

Don't forget Laurel and Hardy's most famous comedy short THE MUSIC BOX.

SUBTEECHUR

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

The Music Box, His Musical Career, Good Housewrecking, The Competition,
Sincerely Yours (yuck), Rhapsody in Blue, The Piano, and as an honorable
mention - Casablanca

Jim

Axrd

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

Mark Cory Davis writes:

>Looking for recommendations for
>movies having a theme/plot

Pat

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

The Music Box, starring Laurel and Hardy, is my favorite piano movie.

Pat

anna...@syslink.mcs.com

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

> Mark Cory Davis <mda...@stirling.engin.umich.edu> wrote in article
> <5edisp$3k9$2...@news.eecs.umich.edu>...

> Looking for recommendations for movies having a theme/plot
> relating to the piano...

In addition to "The Piano", how about "32 Short Films about Glenn Gould",
"Fingers" (Harvey Keitel plays a pianist -- really!), "Immortal Beloved"
(Beethoven bio, there's a great scene in which the deaf B. plays and "listens"
by feeling the vibrations), "Shine" (I think, anyway, I haven't seen it
yet)...there's also a film with Amy Irving and Richard Dreyfuss, in which she
plays a pianist, I can't recall the title. And I'm sure there are plenty more!

-- Anna Sado (anna...@syslink.mcs.com)
"Did I ever tell you, you take my breath away?" - Gabe to Lorna,
"Another World" 2/7/97. Long live Gabe and Lorna McNamara!!!

Kent Parks

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

: Looking for recommendations for movies having a theme/plot
: relating to the piano...

I'm sure you're aware of the current "Shine"...also, there are "Madame
Souzatska", "Amadeus", and that Gary Oldman movie about Beethoven that I'm
getting a mental block about the name of...

Kent

Daryl Mok

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

Mark Cory Davis wrote:

> Looking for recommendations for movies having a theme/plot
> relating to the piano...
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Mark

Madame Sousatzka (sp?) - with Shirley Maclaine
The Fabulous Baker Boys (ok, I'm stretching here...)

Daryl

Kaisers

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned one that's both funnier and
better musically than any that have been mentioned: Impromptu, with Hugh
Grant as Chopin, some one I cant' recall as Liszt, and Judy Davis as
Georges Sand. Highly recommended, great fun.

David Kaiser

Osmo Ronkanen

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

In article <01bc1e1e$d1af25a0$5692...@dsuarez.cts.com>,
Donna Suarez <dsu...@cts.com> wrote:
>The Piano

Heh heh.

How about The Fabulous Baker Boys, Shoot the Piano Player, A Piano for
Mrs. Cimino (TV-movie), Great Balls of Fire, Impromptu, A room with a
view. (The last does not so much center around piano, but Piano plays
its part in a scene that reveals much about the character played by
Daniel Day-Lewis)

Osmo

Kent Parks

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

"Immortal Beloved"! Tha'ts the Beethoven movie I couldn't remember the
name of!

Ilsa

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

On 20 Feb 1997 19:47:28 GMT, pa...@news.unc.edu (Kent Parks) wrote:

>: Looking for recommendations for movies having a theme/plot
>: relating to the piano...
>

>I'm sure you're aware of the current "Shine"...also, there are "Madame
>Souzatska", "Amadeus", and that Gary Oldman movie about Beethoven that I'm
>getting a mental block about the name of...
>
>Kent

I believe it was called "Immortal Beloved"? Oldman played
Beethoven and it was about how everyone was trying to
figure who his "immortal beloved" was. Isabel Rossellini (sp?)
co-starred and I now believe they are a real life couple.
--Ilsa

Lf Jg

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

In a message dated 02-20-97, KENT PARKS wrote:
> From: pa...@news.unc.edu (Kent Parks) Subject: Re: Piano movies?

> : Looking for recommendations for movies having a theme/plot : relating
> to the piano...

Hello,

"The Competition" also withRichard Dryfuss, "Impromptu" with Hugh Grant as
Chopin, "The Seventh Veil" from the 40's with some good footage of the Grieg
Concerto and the Rachmaninoff 2nd.

Joe
-> Alice4Mac 2.4.2 E QWK Eval:17Feb97
Origin: Alice strikes back @

Caroline Pruett

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

Kaisers <toa...@mail.idt.net> wrote:

>I'm amazed that no one has mentioned one that's both funnier and
>better musically than any that have been mentioned: Impromptu, with
Hugh

>Grant as Chopin, some one I cant' recall as Liszt, and Judy Davis as
>Georges Sand. Highly recommended, great fun.
>
> David Kaiser

Julian Sands is Liszt. Don't forget Mandy Patinkin, Bernadette Peters,
Emma Thompson and some wonderful child actors in the movie's funniest
scenes.

I agree; it's marvelous.

Carrie

Fathom

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

I guess you could count the French film _The Accompanist_ (_L'accompanitrice_)

--
Fathom >8-)>
I want a world where I can keep my dreams open at night.

A. Taylor

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

mda...@stirling.engin.umich.edu (Mark Cory Davis) wrote:

>Looking for recommendations for movies having a theme/plot
>relating to the piano...

It's probably been mentioned by now but how about:

Shoot The Piano Player

Ted Wolf

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

Kent Parks wrote:

> : Looking for recommendations for movies having a theme/plot
> : relating to the piano...
>
> I'm sure you're aware of the current "Shine"...also, there are "Madame
> Souzatska", "Amadeus", and that Gary Oldman movie about Beethoven that I'm
> getting a mental block about the name of...
>
> Kent
How about Don't Shoot The Piano Player, The Piano, The Fabulous Baker
Boys, The Competition....on and on
--
Ted Wolf
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin

Kent Parks

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

Mark Cory Davis (mda...@stirling.engin.umich.edu) wrote:
: Looking for recommendations for movies having a theme/plot
: relating to the piano...

Another one I thought of--"Fame" has some piano parts...

burke

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

Five Easy Pieces w/ Jack Nicholson

Roy Gordon

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97

Letter from an Unkown Woman, directed by Max Ophuls.

The writer in the Stefan Zweig novella has become a pianist in the movie.

Also, didn't wasn't the daughter in the film version of Mildred Pierce
a successful pianist. In the novel she's a horrible pianist but becomes
a great soprano. Wonderful scene in the book when the mom hears the
the music teacher's opinions on the daughter, both as a singer and person.

Fathom

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97

In article <5f5njq$guo$1...@news.aimnet.com>, ro...@aimnet.com (Roy Gordon) wrote:

> Also, didn't wasn't the daughter in the film version of Mildred Pierce
> a successful pianist.

As I recall, she was a dancer--had to take ballet lessons, then ended up
working in a burlesque club.

Matt Beckwith

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

I'll Always Love You is one of my favorites, about a woman concert
pianist who falls in love with her teacher. The teacher is a
world-famous concert pianist and conductor who feels threatened by her
skill. He keeps asserting that "There's no woman in music". The film
is dominated by Rachmaninoff's second, which is one of my favorite
pieces.

Fingers is a movie starring Harvey Keitel about an emotionally
disturbed man who feels he can play a particular Bach piece better
than anyone alive, but who is so disturbed that he can't perform it
when there's an audience. I didn't understand this film at all.
Perhaps I would now. Can anyone explain it to me? For one thing,
what was all that about going to see the doctor to discuss his sexual
function? And what were those guys in the bar laughing at him about?

The Competition is a fun film about a piano competition. The various
contestants have practiced all their lives to reach this point, and
each would give anything to win.

Impromptu is a fabulous film about Frederic Chopin and Georges Sand.
I enjoyed it thoroughly, even though I usually avoid those PBS type
movies. This one's a cut above.

There's one starring Cornel Wilde about Chopin, as well. That one's
excellent, though you wouldn't know they were portraying the same
figure. Wilde's Chopin is the guy who wrote the Revolutionary Etude,
and in Impromptu we see the sensitive guy with a health problem.

Nastassia Kinski made a film about Clara Schumann, I believe.
Brooding, depressing film. I don't recommend it.

jrjoh...@aol.com

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

No one has mentioned my favorite, Oscar-winning short, THE MUSIC BOX, starring Laurel & Hardy. Check it out!! It's brilliant.....and hilarious.

John-Ryan

George W. Harris

Mar 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/23/97

This thread went all the way to completion with
no one mentioning "The Hands of Orlac"?

--
They say that there's air in your lungs that's been there for years.

George W. Harris For my actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'