Lincoln Films, Historical (old)

cmashiel...@hotmail.com

Feb 13, 2006, 4:17:41 PM2/13/06
Among others, I am interested in obtaining copies of the following
films:

The Higher Mercy (1912)

The Dramatic Life of Abraham Lincoln (1924)

Abraham Lincoln (1930)

Lincoln in the White House (1939)

Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)

Does anyone know:

--How to ascertain whether a copy of an old film even exists?

--Whether it was ever released on video? (If not so listed in the
Online Catalog of the Library of Congress) and

--If it hasn't been released on VHS or DVD, find sources, for instance,
some collector stockpiling prints of obscure old films and making DVD
copies available, or the like? Thanks for any ideas!

Cori

cmashiel...@hotmail.com

Feb 14, 2006, 3:28:36 PM2/14/06
> Abraham Lincoln (1930)

AHA! This one IS in the public domain and this place has it free for
download: http://www.avgeeks.com/

Cori

IAIN MCLACHLAN

Feb 14, 2006, 8:21:42 PM2/14/06
Hi there.

Apologies for the late response to your posting. You've probably already
been informed of this, but there is a Usenet newsgroup devoted to silent
movies at:

alt.movies.silent

I think some trading goes on there as well as general information about the
subject area.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Iain

Hair in the Gate - Reviews of artefacts from the world of B-picture,
exploitation and DTV entertainment: www.geocities.com/hairinthegate2005

Chroma-Noize - Detailed reviews of cult sci-fi and horror movies:
www.geocities.com/bigfatpav2000
<cmashiel...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

cmashiel...@hotmail.com

Feb 15, 2006, 1:42:17 AM2/15/06
IAIN MCLACHLAN wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Apologies for the late response to your posting. You've probably already
> been informed of this, but there is a Usenet newsgroup devoted to silent
> movies at:
>
> alt.movies.silent
>
> I think some trading goes on there as well as general information about the
> subject area.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Iain

I knew about it but didn't go there because I still believe the one
silent picture I most want to be no longer extant. I could be
pleasantly surprised, though. Is there a place one can put one's name
on a list to be notified if a "lost" film ever does turn up?

Cori

bigsil...@aol.com

Feb 15, 2006, 4:12:17 PM2/15/06
You've listed "Lincoln in the White House" (1939), but Young Mr.
Lincoln (1939) has just been released on DVD and can be had at Netflix.
Below is the discription:

"Sure-handed direction, powerful performances and strong writing (the
film received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay)
characterize this highly fictionalized biopic from John Ford. Starring
Henry Fonda in the title role, the film follows the future president
through his early law career -- with the drama focusing on his defense
of two brothers unjustly accused of murder -- and traces Honest Abe's
budding political consciousness."

My favorite Lincoln film to date, "Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940) is on
TCM's schedule for this Friday, 2/17/06 at 3:45 PM (EST). Raymond
Massey is perfectly cast as Abe and it is filled with Abe's well known
humor.

I have already copied the above to DVD as well as D. W. Griffith's
loving tribute to Lincoln, "Abraham Lincoln" (1930).

As for the two silents, I have never seen either.

Rich Wagner

bigsil...@aol.com

Feb 15, 2006, 4:53:47 PM2/15/06
Here's a couple of comments concerning "Abe Lincoln in Illinois":

Rich Wagner

Not to be overlooked, April 20, 2001
Reviewer: Paul Sayles (Japan) - See all my reviews

This film is the perfect film recreation of Abraham Lincoln. Raymond
Massey is brilliantly cast as young Mr. Lincoln. Whenever I think of
Lincoln films, I think of Raymond Massey as the one and only Lincoln.
The overall casting is superb and the story is exceptional and is well
presented. There are a number of memorable points in the film.
Lincoln's first introduction to politics is amusing. I tend to think
that Ruth Gordon's portrayal of Mary Todd Lincoln is right on. Lincoln
rarely stands up to her in her critiscm of thier lifestyle, his
clothes, etc., but when he does, it is extremely powerful.

Massey doesn't do this on his own. The ensemble cast is exceptional,
from the teacher who helps him improve his education, to the local
judge, to his law partner and Stephen A. Douglas. All these people help
make this film the exceptional story that it is.

If there is one film about Lincoln to recommend, this would be my first
pick.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:

a masterful portrait of our 16th president, January 13, 2005
Reviewer: Alejandra Vernon "artist & illustrator" (Long Beach,
California) - See all my reviews

Beautifully written, directed and acted, this film is a treasure as a
piece of Americana, and though it may be an interpretation of history
in parts, has enough truth in it to be relevant, and shows such things
as the famous Lincoln-Douglas debate.
Robert E. Sherwood wrote the screenplay based on his Pulitzer Prize
winning play, and Raymond Massey, Howard Da Silva (Jack Armstrong), and
Herbert Rudley (Seth Gale) re-create their stage roles.
The direction by John Cromwell is superb, and James Wong Howe's
cinematography (which was nominated for an Oscar but lost to "Rebecca")
makes one forget that we are looking at a sixty-five year old film.
Massey was also nominated, but lost to James Stewart in "The
Philadelphia Story"...1940 was certainly a good year for films.

Raymond Massey (who was 34 at the time this film was made) has somehow
been made to resemble Lincoln from youth to maturity, and the depth he
brings to the part is very moving; I love the way his eyes slowly fill
up with tears in his final speech as he leaves Illinois for the White
House.
Though the film presents a harsh portrait of Mary Todd Lincoln
(brilliantly playedby Ruth Gordon) who acknowledges she is seen as
"bitter and nagging", there is no doubt that Mary was a huge part of
Lincoln becoming who he was meant to be, and like every "woman behind
the man" must have been a tough character in a petite form, the flint
to start Lincoln's flame.
Not to be missed by history buffs, and for Massey's marvelous
performance, which he felt was his finest. Total running time is 110
minutes.

For more information about "Abe Lincoln in Illinois," visit the
Internet Movie Database (IMDb)

cmashiel...@hotmail.com

Feb 16, 2006, 5:42:45 AM2/16/06
Well, of course I knew "Young Mr. Lincoln" was extremely well-known and
is certainly available. I'm also pretty sure I saw part of "Abe
Lincoln in Illinois" once, but I wasn't sure if "Lincoln in the White
House" was even still around at all. It's actually the one in which I
am most interested as it features Little Rascals actor Dickie Moore as
Tad Lincoln.

Cori