"AVATAR" may soon become the best known Sanskrit-Hindi word in the world *** Jai Maharaj posts

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 27, 2010, 4:23:26 PM1/27/10
"AVATAR" may soon become the best known Sanskrit-Hindi word in the world.
Of course, westerners are pronouncing it incorrectly.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

[Posted in: rec.arts.movies.local.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.language.hindi,sci.lang,
misc.writing.screenplays,soc.culture.indian,rec.arts.movies.current-films ]

Yusuf B Gursey

Jan 27, 2010, 6:49:54 PM1/27/10
On Jan 27, 4:23 pm, use...@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr.

Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> "AVATAR" may soon become the best known Sanskrit-Hindi word in the world.
> Of course, westerners are pronouncing it incorrectly.
>
> Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
> Om Shanti
>
> [Posted in: rec.arts.movies.local.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.language.hindi,sci.lan­g,
> misc.writing.screenplays,soc.culture.indian,rec.arts.movies.current-films ]

the word has already entered into the english language, and as such it
is pronounced "correctly". but out of curiousity, how would it be
pronounced in sanskrit?

benl...@ihug.co.nz

Jan 27, 2010, 7:30:21 PM1/27/10

I'm sure all parties to the discussion will be delighted to hear that
the first recorded use of the word in English (OED) is from the pen of
none other than Sir William Jones (1784). Interestingly he placed an
acute accent on the last syllable, which suggests that he would have
stressed it there. It seems to have been semantically nativized quite
quickly, with various English writers (beginning with Walter Scott in
1815) using it in senses which have nothing specifically to do with
Hinduism. The film probably picked it up through its use in the
computer world during the last couple of decades. Modern
pronunciation, in my experience, favours a more typically English
pattern of initial stress, though I note that both OED and Jones (17th
ed) offer the final-stress version first. Maybe this is more common in
the UK.

Incidentally, I think the OP, in his excitement over the film, may
have underestimated the number of Hindi and Sanskrit words that are
already in English -- some of them quite well known.

Ross Clark

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 27, 2010, 7:34:11 PM1/27/10
In article <97a388da-c6d7-4d04...@r24g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Yusuf B Gursey <y...@theworld.com> posted:

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
>
>> "AVATAR" may soon become the best known Sanskrit-Hindi word in the world.
>> Of course, westerners are pronouncing it incorrectly. - Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi

> the word has already entered into the english language, and as such it
> is pronounced "correctly".

If you were/are a native speaker of English, and if certain English words
have "entered" another language, and if you encounter English words being
mispronounced then that you would be okay with that usage?

> but out of curiousity, how would it be pronounced in sanskrit?

uvutaar (u as the u in but, aa as the a in far).
It is *not* aavataar.

hari....@indero.com

Jan 27, 2010, 8:10:55 PM1/27/10
> the word has already entered into the english language, and as such it
> is pronounced "correctly".

"If you were/are a native speaker of English, and if certain English
words have "entered" another language, and if you encounter English
words being mispronounced then that you would be okay with that usage?"

Oh come now our dear jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc., you know full well
the answer to this from your own experience as a native english speaker.

Jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. is not an indian, he is and american and a
life longe citizen and resident of that country.

He knows no other language of india but english. He refuses a call from
a real indian least his lie be instantly known.

His "dr." and indian sounding name are self given to attract real
indians to his astrology business.

> but out of curiousity, how would it be pronounced in sanskrit?

"uvutaar (u as the u in but, aa as the a in far). It is *not* aavataar."

Sanskrit like some other languages is highly phonetic as can be spoken
from dictionaries without knowing the meaning of what one is saying.

We wait still for jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. to accept a call from a
real indian. We will know instantly his claim about speaking sanskrit
in his family in a domestic context.

Don't hold your breath.

Arindam Banerjee

Jan 27, 2010, 8:34:54 PM1/27/10

I dare say that this fake Doc is rich enough to bribe some native
speaker to impersonate him for that purpose. But who would stoop that
low? Only harmony of course, but his control of language we know.
Wouldn't work!

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 27, 2010, 9:57:35 PM1/27/10
[IIT-D had an attendance requirement when Arindam attended it.
Perhaps it still does. He has confessed to violating it. He
obtained his degree fraudulently. A disciplinary committee, headed
by the director, used to meet regularly -- I was on its panel and
would have recommended action against Arindam, but I was there before
his time. By his own admission even his wife was surprised by it.
- Jai Maharaj]

Arindam Banerjee, a fraud and the Shame of IIT

Jan 27, 2010, 10:07:07 PM1/27/10
Westerners are pronouncing it as aavataar, but the correct
pronunciation is uvutaar (u as the u in "but", aa as the a in "star").

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 27, 2010, 10:17:58 PM1/27/10
In article <89adb3f0-962b-40b1...@o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
"benl...@ihug.co.nz" <benl...@ihug.co.nz> posted:

> On Jan 28, 12:49=A0pm, Yusuf B Gursey <y...@theworld.com> wrote:

> > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> > > "AVATAR" may soon become the best known Sanskrit-Hindi
> > > word in the worl d.
> > > Of course, westerners are pronouncing it incorrectly.
> > >
> > > Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
> > > Om Shanti
> >

> > > [Posted in: rec.arts.movies.local.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.langua=
> ge.hindi,sci.lan=ADg,
> > > misc.writing.screenplays,soc.culture.indian,rec.arts.movies.current-fil=
> ms ]

> > the word has already entered into the english language, and as such it
> > is pronounced "correctly". but out of curiousity, how would it be
> > pronounced in sanskrit?

> I'm sure all parties to the discussion will be delighted to hear that
> the first recorded use of the word in English (OED) is from the pen of
> none other than Sir William Jones (1784). Interestingly he placed an
> acute accent on the last syllable, which suggests that he would have
> stressed it there. It seems to have been semantically nativized quite
> quickly, with various English writers (beginning with Walter Scott in
> 1815) using it in senses which have nothing specifically to do with
> Hinduism. The film probably picked it up through its use in the
> computer world during the last couple of decades. Modern
> pronunciation, in my experience, favours a more typically English
> pattern of initial stress, though I note that both OED and Jones (17th
> ed) offer the final-stress version first. Maybe this is more common in
> the UK.
>
> Incidentally, I think the OP, in his excitement over the film, may
> have underestimated the number of Hindi and Sanskrit words that are
> already in English -- some of them quite well known.
>
> Ross Clark

Of course, a number of Hindu and Sanskrit words already exist in
English, but as the "Subject:" header states, "avatar" may soon
become the best known among them. What is it currently -- "yog"
(mispronounced as "yogaa")?

Invid Fan

Jan 27, 2010, 10:30:47 PM1/27/10
In article <20100127VKL1k2rJjAQfW1WT0N7sZNt@CraPl>, Dr. Jai Maharaj
<use...@mantra.com> wrote:

> In article
> <97a388da-c6d7-4d04...@r24g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> Yusuf B Gursey <y...@theworld.com> posted:
>
> > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
> >
> >> "AVATAR" may soon become the best known Sanskrit-Hindi word in the world.
> >> Of course, westerners are pronouncing it incorrectly. - Jai Maharaj,
> >> Jyotishi
>
> > the word has already entered into the english language, and as such it
> > is pronounced "correctly".
>
> If you were/are a native speaker of English, and if certain English words
> have "entered" another language, and if you encounter English words being
> mispronounced then that you would be okay with that usage?

Naturally. The Japanese use a number of English words, and often they
sound nothing like what they should. The whole point of adopting a
foreign word it to take it and make it your own. Do you also want us to
start pronouncing French words properly too?

> > but out of curiousity, how would it be pronounced in sanskrit?
>
> uvutaar (u as the u in but, aa as the a in far).
> It is *not* aavataar.

Between a hit US cartoon and this movie, you've lost that battle
(although maybe you still have time to influence the live action
adaptation of Avatar the Last Airbender)

--
Chris Mack "If we show any weakness, the monsters will get cocky!"
'Invid Fan' - 'Yokai Monsters Along With Ghosts'

benl...@ihug.co.nz

Jan 27, 2010, 10:46:59 PM1/27/10
On Jan 28, 1:34 pm, use...@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr.
Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> In article <97a388da-c6d7-4d04-a6fe-cce400ea6...@r24g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

>  Yusuf B Gursey <y...@theworld.com> posted:
>
> > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
>
> >> "AVATAR" may soon become the best known Sanskrit-Hindi word in the world.
> >> Of course, westerners are pronouncing it incorrectly. - Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
> > the word has already entered into the english language, and as such it
> > is pronounced "correctly".
>
> If you were/are a native speaker of English, and if certain English words
> have "entered" another language, and if you encounter English words being
> mispronounced then that you would be okay with that usage?

Of course. Would you expect me to run around lecturing them on
"correct" pronunciation? How stupid would that be? If they are
speaking Czech, or Bengali, or Samoan, they are free to do what they
like with words copied from English. Pronounce them as they see fit,
use them to mean whatever they like. This is just what languages do,
and fortunately there is no international authority to waste time and
money trying to stop it.

Ross Clark

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 27, 2010, 11:00:13 PM1/27/10
In article <270120102230473405%in...@loclanet.com>,
Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> posted:

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> > In article
> > <97a388da-c6d7-4d04...@r24g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> > Yusuf B Gursey <y...@theworld.com> posted:

> > > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> > > the word has already entered into the english language, and as such it
> > > is pronounced "correctly".

> > If you were/are a native speaker of English, and if certain English words
> > have "entered" another language, and if you encounter English words being

> > mispronounced then you would be okay with that usage? - Jai Maharaj

> Naturally. The Japanese use a number of English words, and often they
> sound nothing like what they should. The whole point of adopting a
> foreign word it to take it and make it your own. Do you also want us to
> start pronouncing French words properly too?

But people laught at them a lot when they say "gorf", "goff" or "gurufu"
instead of "golf"!

> > > but out of curiousity, how would it be pronounced in sanskrit?

> > uvutaar (u as the u in but, aa as the a in far).

> > It is *not* aavataar. - Jai Maharaj

> Between a hit US cartoon and this movie, you've lost that battle
> (although maybe you still have time to influence the live action
> adaptation of Avatar the Last Airbender)

No battle here, just posting information. And when we native Sanskrit-Hindi
speakers hear "aavataar", we laugh too. I am sure that Iranians and Iraqis
laugh at "eyeran" and "eyerack".

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 27, 2010, 11:09:33 PM1/27/10
In article <48644b6f-62a8-4fc5...@a17g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
"benl...@ihug.co.nz" <benl...@ihug.co.nz> posted:

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> > In article <97a388da-c6d7-4d04-a6fe-cce400ea6...@r24g2000yqd.googlegroups=
> > ..com>, =A0Yusuf B Gursey <y...@theworld.com> posted:

> > > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> > > the word has already entered into the english language, and as such it
> > > is pronounced "correctly".

> > If you were/are a native speaker of English, and if certain English words
> > have "entered" another language, and if you encounter English words being

> > mispronounced then you would be okay with that usage?

> Of course. Would you expect me to run around lecturing them on

> "correct" pronunciation? How stupid would that be? . . .

Are you a proxy for Yusuf B Gursey? In any case, if you wanted
to correct them, then you'd be free to do so. You haven't let
looking stupid stop you from being stupid in the past, have you?

> If they are
> speaking Czech, or Bengali, or Samoan, they are free to do what they
> like with words copied from English. Pronounce them as they see fit,
> use them to mean whatever they like. This is just what languages do,
> and fortunately there is no international authority to waste time and
> money trying to stop it. Ross Clark

This isn't about authority. This is about becoming target of
ridicule because of the way one speaks in a language, or worse, being
the victim of language- or pronunciation-based prejudice. Such
prejudice is rampant in the world, especially in the West.

benl...@ihug.co.nz

Jan 27, 2010, 11:36:18 PM1/27/10
On Jan 28, 4:17 pm, use...@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr.
Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> In article <89adb3f0-962b-40b1-9d91-8590bc9a6...@o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
>  "benli...@ihug.co.nz" <benli...@ihug.co.nz> posted:

Yes, yoga is pretty well known along with a number of other words
relating to Indian religion: swami, mantra, mandala, nirvana, om...
But there are quite a few whose Indian origin is not generally known,
like mandarin, pundit, chintz, cowry, dinghy, dungaree, juggernaut,
jungle, loot, myna, shampoo, thug -- some of which are quite common.
Guru and ganja are relatively recent arrivals which may still have
Indian associations for some people, but not all. Based on the word-
frequency sites I looked at, "jungle" would probably be the overall
winner. I suppose "avatar" will experience a jump in popularity on
account of the movie, but I doubt it will overtake "jungle".

Ross Clark

Peter T. Daniels

Jan 28, 2010, 12:17:57 AM1/28/10
On Jan 27, 7:30 pm, "benli...@ihug.co.nz" <benli...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 12:49 pm, Yusuf B Gursey <y...@theworld.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 27, 4:23 pm, use...@mantra.com and/orwww.mantra.com/jai(Dr.
>
> > Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> > > "AVATAR" may soon become the best known Sanskrit-Hindi word in the world.
> > > Of course, westerners are pronouncing it incorrectly.
>
> > > Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
> > > Om Shanti
>
> > > [Posted in: rec.arts.movies.local.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.language.hindi,sci.lan­­g,
> > > misc.writing.screenplays,soc.culture.indian,rec.arts.movies.current-films ]
>
> > the word has already entered into the english language, and as such it
> > is pronounced "correctly". but out of curiousity, how would it be
> > pronounced in sanskrit?
>
> I'm sure all parties to the discussion will be delighted to hear that
> the first recorded use of the word in English (OED) is from the pen of
> none other than Sir William Jones (1784). Interestingly he placed an
> acute accent on the last syllable, which suggests that he would have
> stressed it there.

Acute accent marked vowel length rather than stress.

benl...@ihug.co.nz

Jan 28, 2010, 12:48:48 AM1/28/10
On Jan 28, 6:17 pm, "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Jan 27, 7:30 pm, "benli...@ihug.co.nz" <benli...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 28, 12:49 pm, Yusuf B Gursey <y...@theworld.com> wrote:

> > > the word has already entered into the english language, and as such it
> > > is pronounced "correctly". but out of curiousity, how would it be
> > > pronounced in sanskrit?
>
> > I'm sure all parties to the discussion will be delighted to hear that
> > the first recorded use of the word in English (OED) is from the pen of
> > none other than Sir William Jones (1784). Interestingly he placed an
> > acute accent on the last syllable, which suggests that he would have
> > stressed it there.
>
> Acute accent marked vowel length rather than stress.

Apparently. But it's a reasonable guess that his awareness of this as
the one long vowel in the word would have led him to place the stress
there. Or, if he attempted a pure Skt pronunciation, that it would
have been so heard by his English speaking hearers. Whereas modern
speakers, picking it up from an unaccented written form, just apply a
common English template (Palomar, Zanzibar, Bolivar).

Ross Clark

Ross Clark

hari....@indero.com

Jan 28, 2010, 8:14:48 AM1/28/10
"No battle here, just posting information. And when we native
Sanskrit-Hindi speakers hear "aavataar", we laugh too. I am sure that
Iranians and Iraqis laugh at "eyeran" and "eyerack". "

"No battle here, just posting information. And when we native
Sanskrit-Hindi speakers hear "aavataar", we laugh too. I am sure that
Iranians and Iraqis laugh at "eyeran" and "eyerack".

Is it laugh or cry, when seeing this tragic old man struggle to find
self esteem and meaning in his life. How very sad, no doubt leading an
otherwise very mundane life he invents this fantasy life for some small
measure of self esteem.

Will you accept a call from a real indian to test your silly language
claims?

Jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. is not an indian. He is and has always
been an american.

He speaks no language of india but english. He refuses to accept a call
from a real indian least his fraud be instantly known.

His "dr." and indian sounding name are self given to attract real

indians and gullible others to his astrology business.

hari....@indero.com

Jan 28, 2010, 8:21:17 AM1/28/10
> We wait still for jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. to accept a call from a
> real indian. =A0We will know instantly his claim about speaking
sanskrit
> in his family in a domestic context.
>
> Don't hold your breath.

"I dare say that this fake Doc is rich enough to bribe some native
speaker to impersonate him for that purpose. But who would stoop that
low? Only harmony of course, but his control of language we know.
Wouldn't work!"

Rich, I very much doubt it. There are some very secure ways to test him
if he would even attempt to allow another person stand for him. I would
welcome the attempt very much.

hari....@indero.com

Jan 28, 2010, 8:35:40 AM1/28/10
> We wait still for jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. to accept a call from a
> real indian. =A0We will know instantly his claim about speaking
sanskrit
> in his family in a domestic context.
>
> Don't hold your breath.

"I dare say that this fake Doc is rich enough to bribe some native
speaker to impersonate him for that purpose. But who would stoop that
low? Only harmony of course, but his control of language we know.
Wouldn't work!"

This is the reason for jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. to make this post.

The person in the subjectline came to jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc.
seeking help for some matter in india.

Jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. almost wet his pants with joy for getting
some attention. Soon the real indian learned that jay stevens,aka dr.
jai etc. was only pretending to be indian and claims about a life in
india a complete fraud.

Jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. turned on him like a mad dog for having
discovered this. The campaigne to attack continues even to this day and
this post. It even included an attack on the real indian's wife with
slander and libel.

What did the real indian discover?

Jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. is not an indian. He is and has always

been an american and a lifelong resident and citizen of that country.

He speaks no language of india but english. He refuses a call from a
real indian least his false claims be known.

harmony

Jan 28, 2010, 12:02:29 PM1/28/10
quite right jai maharaj ji.
you are a gyata of sankrit. i figured that out when we met. your hindi is
immaculate.

however, you are trying to educate many uneducables.

bungal mein bandarji nacha, kisine na dekha

<use...@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote in
message news:20100127T901e8zni3HNWKdjZPjp19S@YY5tO...

harmony

Jan 28, 2010, 12:05:39 PM1/28/10
arindam is to physics what basu, his hero, was for bengal's development: the
more they "try" the worse it gets.

<use...@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote in

message news:20100127GDsmn5nDIv79vVt2ql3kGdb@Co1aj...

harmony

hari....@indero.com

Jan 28, 2010, 2:34:39 PM1/28/10
"you are a gyata of sankrit. i figured that out when we met. your hindi
is immaculate."

Ah, you visit ghosts then? Did that ghost have a car he called "hindi"?

"however, you are trying to educate many uneducables."

Not on these newsgroups he is not. Let me take that back, he is
providing a quite good education in that a negative form can be an
example for learning also. Lies and fraud serve to illuminate truth,
don't you see?

As anotherposter who agrees with his politics said, it doesn't matter he
is not an indian, it only matters he converted to hinduism as an adult.
Making all his false self invented image fine as long as being a fool
serves certain other ends.

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 28, 2010, 4:04:41 PM1/28/10
harmony ji, our meeting was short but dhanyavaad for your kind words.
Now, I used to teach Sanskrit and Hindi to westerners and I must
admit that I was successful with only a handful when it came to
correct pronunciation. By "correct" I mean the pronunciation I
learned from my teachers at home and in school in Uttar Pradesh and
Indraprasth (Dillee). Later, that system of pronunciation was
authenticated by other pundits in uttaree Bharat. We all know that
it is the dakshinee pronunciation that has mostly made it to the West
Anyhow, these folks are uneducable, as you put it, only if their ego
or financial grants get in their way.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

In article <4b61c327$0$12440$bbae...@news.suddenlink.net>,
"harmony" <a...@hotmail.com> posted:

> quite right jai maharaj ji.
> you are a gyata of sankrit. i figured that out when we met. your hindi is
> immaculate.
>
> however, you are trying to educate many uneducables.
>
> bungal mein bandarji nacha, kisine na dekha

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 28, 2010, 4:07:48 PM1/28/10
You've hit the nail on its head with that.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

In article <4b61c3e5$0$12429$bbae...@news.suddenlink.net>,
"harmony" <a...@hotmail.com> posted:

> arindam is to physics what basu, his hero, was for bengal's development: the
> more they "try" the worse it gets.

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

hari....@indero.com

Jan 28, 2010, 4:12:51 PM1/28/10
"Now, I used to teach Sanskrit and Hindi to westerners and I must admit
that I was successful with only a handful when it came to correct
pronunciation. By "correct" I mean the pronunciation I learned from my
teachers at home and in school in Uttar Pradesh and Indraprasth
(Dillee). Later, that system of pronunciation was authenticated by
other pundits in uttaree Bharat. We all know that it is the dakshinee
pronunciation that has mostly made it to the West Anyhow, these folks
are uneducable, as you put it, only if their ego or financial grants get
in their way."

When jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. is put on the spot about one or
another of his claims we get the kind of claim above.

It is now time to test these claims.

Will jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. accept a call from a real indian?

If he will not or does not respond, we have our answer.

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 28, 2010, 4:17:05 PM1/28/10
In article <hjsud8$43e$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Bart Mathias <mat...@hawaii.edu> posted:

> benl...@ihug.co.nz wrote:
> > [...]

> > Yes, yoga is pretty well known along with a number of other words
> > relating to Indian religion: swami, mantra, mandala, nirvana, om...
> > But there are quite a few whose Indian origin is not generally known,
> > like mandarin, pundit, chintz, cowry, dinghy, dungaree, juggernaut,
> > jungle, loot, myna, shampoo, thug -- some of which are quite common.
> > Guru and ganja are relatively recent arrivals which may still have
> > Indian associations for some people, but not all. Based on the word-
> > frequency sites I looked at, "jungle" would probably be the overall
> > winner. I suppose "avatar" will experience a jump in popularity on
> > account of the movie, but I doubt it will overtake "jungle".

> I was going to vote for "punch," but I guess it would be way down the
> list after all.

I guess "avatar" won't beat "candy" from "khand(a)".

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 28, 2010, 4:47:13 PM1/28/10
In article <hjsuj0$43e$3...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Bart Mathias <mat...@hawaii.edu> posted:

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> > In article <270120102230473405%in...@loclanet.com>,
> > Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> posted:
> >
> >> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> world.

> >> Naturally. The Japanese use a number of English words, and often they
> >> sound nothing like what they should. The whole point of adopting a
> >> foreign word it to take it and make it your own. Do you also want us to
> >> start pronouncing French words properly too?
> >
> > But people laught at them a lot when they say "gorf", "goff" or "gurufu"
> > instead of "golf"!

> They never do say any of those, but who in the world would laugh at them
> even if they did? Bart Mathias

You are using a hawaii.edu e-mail address, you are probably here; go
to the pro shop of a golf course in Honolulu that is frequented by
tourists and ask the employees about newcomer Japanese golfers. But
then, since you are somehow affiliated with UH, you probably won't
admit to anything that would go against the grain of the HVCB, now,
would you!

benl...@ihug.co.nz

Jan 28, 2010, 5:14:30 PM1/28/10
On Jan 28, 5:09 pm, use...@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr.
Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> In article <48644b6f-62a8-4fc5-b608-2734a09e2...@a17g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
>  "benli...@ihug.co.nz" <benli...@ihug.co.nz> posted:

> > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
> > > In article <97a388da-c6d7-4d04-a6fe-cce400ea6...@r24g2000yqd.googlegroups=
> > > ..com>, =A0Yusuf B Gursey <y...@theworld.com> posted:

> > > If you were/are a native speaker of English, and if certain English words
> > > have "entered" another language, and if you encounter English words being
> > > mispronounced then you would be okay with that usage?
> > Of course. Would you expect me to run around lecturing them on
> > "correct" pronunciation? How stupid would that be? . . .
>
> Are you a proxy for Yusuf B Gursey?

Since Yusuf has not seen fit to answer your "what if" question, I was
offering my views as an actual native speaker of English.

 In any case, if you wanted
> to correct them, then you'd be free to do so.

One is "free" to engage in all kinds of stupid behaviour, as you
regularly demonstrate.

 You haven't let
> looking stupid stop you from being stupid in the past, have you?

> > If they are
> > speaking Czech, or Bengali, or Samoan, they are free to do what they
> > like with words copied from English. Pronounce them as they see fit,
> > use them to mean whatever they like. This is just what languages do,
> > and fortunately there is no international authority to waste time and
> > money trying to stop it.  Ross Clark
>
> This isn't about authority.  This is about becoming target of
> ridicule because of the way one speaks in a language, or worse, being
> the victim of language- or pronunciation-based prejudice.  Such
> prejudice is rampant in the world, especially in the West.

Your comment about the golfers indicates that you are confusing two
quite different situations:
(1) Japanese people speaking English with an accent and (2) Japanese
people speaking Japanese which includes words copied from English. In
case (1) I suppose one might feel some sympathy if stupid people
laughed at the Japanese, though offering impromptu language tutorials
on the golf course would probably not be very helpful. In case (2)
(which is what I was talking about above) most of the stupid people
would not even realize what was going on. One would have to be
exceptionally, agressively stupid to ridicule them in this situation.
Are you suggesting that millions of Japanese people should change
their pronunciation of thousands of words just to avoid being laughed
at by a few idiots?

Ross Clark

hari....@indero.com

Jan 28, 2010, 6:16:39 PM1/28/10
Now why would jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. go offon a squealing and
kicking fit in a series of posts with his good old buddy in texas?
Because he has been exposed for the enlightened and much elevated person
he is. Read the post again that started this entire thread and judge
for yourself:

[...]

harmony

Jan 28, 2010, 7:13:55 PM1/28/10
i know how you feel.
we need a dharma sansad meeting between the uttare and dakshinee sankrit
scholars. as far as i know sri adi shakaracharya ji spoke closer to uttaree
istyle.

<use...@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote in

message news:20100128H3U7d0382GtAx52Cz5HQM27@XDKdy...

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 28, 2010, 7:33:42 PM1/28/10
That is an excellent suggestion, harmony ji. The sansad can be a
permanent one as an institution so that it can exists for the
generations to come. You know that I approach Sanskrit from the
sanskar-pooja perspective, Jyotish-Tantr inclusive, so the
pronunciations have to be consistent with the proper sound frequency
ranges. I am convinced that the north-south-east-west differences
fall well within these ranges, so there really isn't the major
problem that some in these newsgroups make it out to be.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

In article <4b622846$0$12454$bbae...@news.suddenlink.net>,
"harmony" <a...@hotmail.com> posted:

> i know how you feel.
> we need a dharma sansad meeting between the uttare and dakshinee sankrit
> scholars. as far as i know sri adi shakaracharya ji spoke closer to uttaree
> istyle.

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 28, 2010, 8:13:45 PM1/28/10
Arindam continues claim that Einstein was wrong, but can't prove it.
His claims are usually bogus. Just as Basu ran Bengal into the
ground, Arindam Bannerji has run his credibility into the ground.
This is why I did not send any money to his father when he begged me
to do so. If his father writes to me and convinces me that he runs
a Hindu charity, then I will reconsider.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

In article <4b61d5b5$0$12465$bbae...@news.suddenlink.net>,
"harmony" <a...@hotmail.com> posted:

> arindam is to physics what basu, his hero, was for bengal's development: the
> more they "try" the worse it gets.

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 29, 2010, 3:17:58 PM1/29/10
In article <hjtoif$qr6$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"PaulJK" <paul....@paradise.net.nz> posted:

> Bart Mathias wrote:

> > Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> >> In article <270120102230473405%in...@loclanet.com>,
> >> Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> posted:

> world.

> >> But people laugh at them a lot when they say "gorf", "goff" or "gurufu"
> >> instead of "golf"!
> >
> > They never do say any of those, but who in the world would laugh at them
> > even if they did?

> Agreed. However, I feel tempted to laugh at the person who
> writes "laught" in English text and/or mixes tenses in one
> sentence. :-)))
> pjk

They certainly do say "gorf", "goff" or "gurufu" instead of "golf", and people
do make fun of them -- just as you do at others' typos.

hari....@indero.com

Jan 29, 2010, 8:19:01 PM1/29/10
"His claims are usually bogus. Just as Basu ran Bengal into the ground,
Arindam Bannerji has run his credibility into the ground. This is why I
did not send any money to his father when he begged me to do so. If his
father writes to me and convinces me that he runs a Hindu charity, then
I will reconsider."

Our poor soul can't keep his story straight. NJay stevens,aka dr. jai
etc. was asked to help in finding sources of support in india for a
charity. He was not asked for money.

The real indian of the subject line with the discovery that jay
stevens,aka dr. jai etc. had no connections in india and was in fact a
complete fraud came to ignore jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. after this
discovery. He told jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. of what was discoverd
as to his fraud.

Jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. had to that time almost wet his pants
because someone had come to him for advice.

He turned like a mad dog on the real indian.

This was long before jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. came to know of the
writings of the real indian.

What was the discovery?

Jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. is not an indian but an a lifelong
american.

He has no connections in india because he did not live and grow up there
as he claimed.

He speaks no language of india but english.

He refuses a call from a real indian least his complete fraud be known.

His "dr." and indian sounding name were self given to attract real

Arindam Banerjee

Jan 29, 2010, 10:15:05 PM1/29/10
On Jan 29, 5:21 am, "harmony" <a...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> arindam is to physics what basu, his hero, was for bengal's development: the
> more they "try" the worse it gets.

No liar is lower than the bundree harmony, the impostor, fraud and
scoundrel for the impostor, fraud and scoundrel, the mahabundurr jai
Bundurr maharaj, the infamous (buy sedulous) bundurrJew and an
Archbundurr of PseudoHinduism. As Renfield to Dracula, so harmony to
jBm.

Those with honesty and wits, please check out:

http://adda-enterprises.com/MMInt/MMint.htm

and

http://adda-enterprises.com/HTNwebsite/home.htm

World-saving brilliance, now increasingly realised by the younger
generation! May thay all sing, with apples to Bob Dylan:

Bundurrs and Bundrees all over the land
Don't criticise what you can't understand.
Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command
Their tails they are a-dropping!
Get out of the way while they still look your way
For the times they are a-changing!

Heh-heh.

Cheers to all (including the two silly grumps harm* and jBm, for
these poor sods need cheering most),
Arindam Banerjee

Note: bundurr means monkey, and bundree means a she of same. Or sea
of shame; both apply, in this case.

Arindam Banerjee

Jan 29, 2010, 10:35:46 PM1/29/10
On Jan 29, 12:21 am, hari.ku...@indero.com wrote:
> > We wait still for jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. to accept a call from a
> > real indian. =A0We will know instantly his claim about speaking
> sanskrit
> > in his family in a domestic context.
>
> > Don't hold your breath.
>
> "I dare say that this fake Doc is rich enough to bribe some native
> speaker to impersonate him for that purpose.  But who would stoop that
> low?  Only harmony of course, but his control of language we know.
> Wouldn't work!"
>
> Rich, I very much doubt it.

It is very good to feel that crime does not pay, but in this jBm case
it may not be the case. Vice rewarded, that's him. The jBm boasted he
has a palace in Hawaii, complete with a huge natural swimming pool
that gets flushed with the tides. Rare turtles seek refuge there, and
it has been alleged that he consumes them after converting them to
turtle soup. While preaching vegetarianism, of course. Naturally, jBm
denies the charge. Many Americans are rich and gullible, and can
easily fall prey to the bullshitting and money-grubbing jBm type
impostors who fleece them mercilessly.

 There are some very secure ways to test him
> if he would even attempt to allow another person stand for him.  I would
> welcome the attempt very much.

Heh-heh, we don't know his address, or phone number, we don't know
what he looks like, he has no public visage or standing at all. He is
thus the equivalent of the most outrageous Nigerian scamster. What he
does show, is the power of the continuous and shameless lie, and that
there are so very very many fools and suckers in the world to believe
same, born every minute. This liar says he has got contacts in
Hollywood, and even claims to having some influence in IIT-D!

Anyway, back to the topic. Indeed avatar is pronounced wrongly, as I
can hear. In Bengali, you are called an o(r)b-o(h)-taar (the r and h
are silent, in orb and oh, and taar is tar but a bit longer-drawn) if
you make some bungle or stupidity. Often, servants are called that.

In Hindi or Sanskrit, it is u(h)-vuh-taar. vuh is pronounced like
'the' and the h in u(h) is silent.

Hope some get it!

Cheers,
Arindam Banerjee.