SERVE THE RASHTRAM. A CALL TO THE YOUNGEST NATION ON THE GLOBE. *** Jai Maharaj posts

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 26, 2010, 5:15:42 PM1/26/10
Forwarded message from S. Kalyanaraman

Serve the rashtram. A call to the youngest nation on the globe.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The article by Shri V. Sundaram should be of great concern for the
youngest nation on the globe, Hindusthan. This should be a warning to
all the youth of India (who account for 75% of the population less
than 35 years of age) to take up the challenge posed by Sundaram as a
rousing call for action and transform the rashtram. The rashtram is
svargaadapi gareeyasi (greater than svarga) and it is our dharma to
make the rashtram vibrant and effulgent in the comity of nations.

Dhanyavaadah. S. Kalyanaraman

Shattered Splintered Deemed Damned Doomed India of Today

Monday, January 25, 2010

Magh Shuddh Dashami, Kaliyug Varsh 5111

By Mr. V Sundaram (Retd. IAS Officer)

http://www.hindujagruti.org/news/out/images/1264443247_v1.jpg

Tomorrow (26th January 2010) is the 61st year of the establishment of
our Republic. The Ship of Indian State seems to be sinking slowly,
gradually and irretrievably. In this terrible context, I cannot help
recalling a book titled "INDIA IN 1983", written by an English Civil
Servant belonging to the Indian Civil Service in 1888. The imaginary
and fictitious predictions he made in 1888 about the future of the
Independent Indian State seem to have come true in letter and spirit
today!!

When George Orwell published his book 1984 in June 1949, it instantly
became a best seller. Likewise in 1888, a book entitledINDIA IN 1983
was published. The book became very popular in India and England at
that time. During my visit to the British Museum Library in London in
1987, I had the good fortune of reading this book. I also managed to
get a photocopy of this very rare and unknown book from the museum
authorities. The author of that book intended to remain anonymous.
Written in the nature of a gripping political satire, the author
fore-told the granting of independence for India by England in 1983.

The author of that book prophesied with remarkable accuracy the
various so-called 'progressive' political reform schemes which were
going to come subsequently in the next 30 years and which were to
become the stepping stones on the road to India's freedom in 1983.
The only weak point in the book was the Englishman's optimistic
attitude towards the duration of their stay in India. He had expected
the British rule to last in India till 1983! The book depicted in a
humorous way the imaginary chaotic functioning of the Parliament (our
Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha of today!!) that was to be created in India
after independence in 1983, if the dreams of the Indian nationalistic
leaders of 1888 were to become a reality in 1983 in the fullness of
time.

Lord Ripon was the Viceroy of India in 1883. He was known for his
liberal attitude towards Indians and their aspirations. Sir Courtenay
Ilbert, the then Law Member of Viceroy Ripon's Council, introduced a
bill in the Imperial Legislative Council in 1883. In those days no
English or European or white citizen in India could be tried by any
Indian judge for his offences in India. The bill sought to do away
with that privilege of the whites. There was a great public outcry
from the British trading and commercial community in all parts of
India�and more particularly in Calcutta and Bengal--- against the
introduction of the Ilbert Bill. All the local vernacular newspapers
were vehemently in favour of the Ilbert Bill. Lot of dirty linen was
washed by many Englishmen against the so called native Indians and
vice versa. In such an atmosphere of vituperative public controversy
and high public tension, a new book entitled INDIA IN 1983 was
published. What is interesting historically is that this book
forecasting the attainment of Indian independence in 1983, was
published in 1888, three years after the founding of the Indian
National Congress in December 1885.

The new book created a great public sensation and unprecedented
consternation in official circles at Calcutta. In view of the
author's official position, the book was published anonymously, but
the gentry of that time guessed correctly who had written it. It was
T. Harte-Davies (1849- 1920), of the Indian Civil Service, a man of
versatile talents, the District Judge of Karachi at that time. He was
an accomplished pianist and a talented linguist. He knew French,
German, Italian and Russian, in addition to three Indian languages.
He was a frequent contributor to The Pioneer of Allahabad, a leading
English newspaper of that time. Upon his retirement in 1894, he
returned to England only to plunge into active politics there. He was
elected as MP for Hackney in 1895. He was also an active member of
the British Committee of the Indian National Congress. He was an
enthusiastic champion of the political aspirations of the Indians. He
was a close associate of Mr. A.O.Hume and Mr. Wedderburn, of the
Indian National Congress.

In his book INDIA IN 1983, T.Harte-Davies described the departure of
the British from India in 1983 in the following words:

"It was a still and broiling day in April 1983 when the last vessel
sailed out of Bombay harbour with the English troops on board. The
vast bay, which for a month before had been crowded with huge
transports and resounded with the rattle of shipping cargo and
stores, was now deserted, except for the picturesque native boats and
the Mail Steamer which was to convey the Viceroy, the Commander-in-
Chief, and the Governors of Madras and Bombay from the shores of
India."

T Harte-Davies caricatured the lawless and unruly Parliament that was
going to be established in India after independence in 1983.The
President of this new Parliament was Babu Joy Kissen Chunder Sen.
According to Harte-Davies, this is how he came to the Parliament and
started his proceedings in 1983: "He took his seat, and having just
finished his breakfast, proceeded to eructate violently three or four
times; he then blew his nose on the floor, holding that organ between
his fore-finger and thumb for the purpose, cleared his throat,
expectorated, and finally rose and burst into a flood of typical
oriental eloquence: 'Gentlemen, fellow-countrymen, shall I not say
fellow-members of Parliament and Romans, lend me your ears. This is
the proudest moment of my life, my vita, ars longa, vita brevis, as
the poet says, when I see before me your physiognomies and visages
all full of constitutional transformation; indeed, I am as it were in
a hurly-burly, and say to myself, I am now in a more noble position
than Washington was in USA in 1782; in a stronger position than
Cicero, when he stirred up his fellow-citizens to make war on the
Carthagians; all this I say in this princely house and more, sitting
on its own bottom, and controlling the Financial, Judicial, Revenue,
Secret, General, Political, Educational and Public Works Departments
of the Government of India' ( Thunderous applause greeted the
President).

Babu Joy Kissen Chunder Sen continued in this manner: 'For we are the
advanced thinkers, and we show things to others, and nobody shows
nothing to us. We are the heirs of the ancient wisdom of ARYAVARTA,
we are the sons of the Bengal, which has conquered India, we are the
B.A's of the Calcutta University, superior to all the gentlemen
educated at Oxford and Cambridge. Let us then go on blazes in the
course of civilization and progress, and guided by the teaching of
theology, psychology, geology, physiology, doxology and sociology and
all the other sciences that Pax Brittanica can boast of. We can now
confront the unmitigated myrmidons of despotism, and say to the
adversaries of freedom and jurisprudence, you be blowed (cries of
'Shabash', 'bohuth achha' and rapturous applause.)

http://www.hindujagruti.org/news/out/images/1264443303_v2.JPG

Chaos in Indian Parliament

I am indeed wonder struck by the prescient and detailed understanding
shown by T Harte-Davies about the unruly and chaotic functioning of
Parliament that was going to come to India after independence in
1983. He anticipated the unruly incidents, rude, crude, foolish,
indecent, barbarous and criminal behaviour of the Members of
Parliament in India 1983 in these words: 'The next instant every man
in the assembly of Parliament was on his feet and soon an unseemly
wrangling began, and such exclamations as, you shut up, you have got
no locus yatandi, chup raho, thum beff coofe ho and the like, were
heard through the din. At last they began to make uncomplimentary
remarks concerning the moral character of the female members of each
other's families and finally matters went so far that all the members
stood up shouting raucously with clenched fists with an attitude of
self-defence, which they accomplished by presenting their stomachs to
the front before the House. The President of the House tried in vain
without success to interfere and rang his bell to command silence.'

I have no doubt that Somnath Chaterjee, the Former Speaker of Lok
Sabha would be thrilled by the above words of T.Harte-Davies which
are totally relevant and applicable to more than 70% of the
disgusting members of the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha today!! All round
corruption in public administration, gay and irrepressible swindling
of public funds, jobbery and nepotism which are the hall-mark of
governance in all parts of India today and which are directly
promoted as a matter of high state policy by the Sonia-directed UPA
Government were graphically foreseen by T Harte-Davies in 1888:

"Matters at all levels of government were arranged orientally, and at
the bottom of the native character there is a profound sympathy with
oriental methods of administration. It was now perfectly certain that
the larger part of the funds would stick to the palms of the members
of the Parliamentary Committee, that their relatives and friends
would compose the entire administrative staff, that no contract would
be given unless a handsome commission was paid to the President and
Secretary of Parliament, and that any works that were constructed
would be exclusively adapted to the improvement of the private
property of the President and Members of Parliament. All this was
thoroughly understood, and the feeling it aroused was not one of
indignation, but a simple and unquenchable desire to participate in
the spoils. After all, was it not better that the public money should
go in this way than that it should be spent by An English Sahib on
his eccentric notions of protected drinking water-supply, vaccination
and the like? In a native Government, with a Native Board fully
loaded with Native Members and having unlimited control over the
funds, whose proceedings every Native could understand, there would
be a better administrative set-up in the total absence of the
unsympathetic and incorruptible Englishman whose actions had long
been acknowledged to be unbearably incalculable."

T Harte-Davies gave a hilarious description of the official and
public reaction in England to the goings-on in the India of 1983 soon
after her independence:

"Such were the pleasing features which distinguished the closing days
of the year 1983. The English newspapers congratulated the British
Government on its fore-sight in declining to interfere in the affairs
of alien races, and on having finally decided, after two hundred
years of iniquitous possession, to allow India to stew in her own
native juice."

The tragedy and comedy of post independent India is that over 90 per
cent of our legislators (MPs and MLAs) have succeeded magnificently
in giving cubic content to the above words of T Harte-Davies. It ill-
behoves us as a nation after 63 years of our independence that we
should prove the caricatured portraiture of P:arliament in
Independent India which T Harte-Davies done in 1888 bang right in
letter and spirit in the India of 2010.

Perhaps Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930) had our Members of
Parliament in his mind when he wrote 'The more featureless and
complete a crime is, the more difficult it is to bring it home....
Nothing is worse than a naked robber'. In my view, in so far as our
laughable Parliament is concerned, crime is a logical extension of
the sort of shameful behaviour that is often considered perfectly
respectable in legitimate, high and mighty Parliamentary business!!

During the last twenty five years there has been a gradual increase
in the number of MPs in the Lok Sabha with a criminal record behind
them, blurring the line between great crime and high politics. Our
former Prime Minister I K Gujral released a report in 2006 called
'Citizens Report on Governance and Development'. This report was
prepared by the NGO, National Social Watch Coalition, which is an
alliance of social groups, parliamentarians, academician, policy
makers and media practitioners with the objective of promotion of
accountability and democratisation of representative institutions.
According to this report, 518 out of 3182 candidates across parties
had criminal backgrounds while more than 120, which is about one-
fourth of the total, elected to the 14th Lok Sabha, had been charge
sheeted in criminal cases. We can see from this report that over 50
per cent of serious criminal cases registered against MPs were mostly
from the States of UP, Bihar, Jharkhand and MP. The report also
pointed out that lengthy legal procedures make conviction of these
MPs in a Court of Law even more difficult. The whole world is aware
of the fact that the Indian parliament has an overwhelmingly greater
percentage of criminals than the general population.

In the Lok Sabha which existed before May 2009, the number of MP's
charged with cases of serious crimes was 333, with several MPs having
multiple cases. If we look at violent crimes like murder, attempt to
murder, robbery, dacoity, kidnapping, theft and extortion, rape,
other violent crimes like assault using dangerous weapons or causing
grievous hurt, the Samajwadi Party (SP) lead the criminal show with
80 cases, followed by BSP 43, BJP 17, INC 16, RJD 9, CPM 5, CPI 1,
NCP 2. Regarding other crimes like cheating, fraud, forgery, giving
false oaths to public officials and so on, this was the Party-wise
position: BSP 23, RJD 22, INC 21, BJP 11, SP 11 and CPM 6.

I am presenting below two tables showing the party-wise number of MPs
with criminal charges pending against them and party-wise candidates
with a criminal record behind them. These tables have been prepared
by Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR).

http://www.hindujagruti.org/news/out/images/1264443413_v3.png

Lok Sabha 2004: MPs with criminal charges

Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) was founded in 1999 by a
group of Professors from the Indian Institute of Management (IIM),
Ahmedabad and some alumni to work towards strengthening democracy and
governance in India by focusing on fair and transparent electoral
processes. Since it's founding, it has worked with over 1000 NGO
partners around India, disseminating information on candidates and
political parties to voters. ADR has also worked closely with the
media, the Election Commission of India and eminent citizens around
the country. Its founder was elected as a Young Global Leader by the
World Economic Forum in 2008.

The best way in which I can sum up the overall character of MPs in
our Parliament is in the words of Walt Whitman (1819-1891), hailed as
the great poet of American Democracy:

"...the members who composed it were, seven-eighths of them, the
meanest kind of bawling and blowing officeholders, office-seekers,
pimps, malignant conspirators, murderers, fancy-men, custom-house
clerks, contractors, kept-editors, spaniels well-trained to carry
and fetch, jobbers, infidels, disunionists, terrorists, mail
catchers, pushers of slavery, creatures of the President , creatures
of would-be Presidents, spies, bribers, compromisers, lobbyers,
sponges, ruined sports, expelled gamblers, policy-backers, duelists,
carriers of concealed weapons, deaf men, pimpled men, scarred with
vile disease, gaudy outside with gold chains made from the people's
money and harlots' money twisted together; crawling, serpentine men,
the lousy combinings and born freedom-sellers of the earth".

The shameful cry of many Indians today seems to be this:

"Breathes there the man
With soul so dead
Who never to himself hath said
This is my own -- my very own Italian
SONIA LAND!

http://www.hindujagruti.org/news/8644.html

End of forwarded message from S. Kalyanaraman

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.