'Legendary Mukesh Chand Mathur' - by Vijay Kumar Dubey

Dr. Jai Maharaj

Mar 21, 2015, 2:37:40 PM3/21/15
Forwarded post:

LEGENDARY MUKESH CHAND MATHUR

Those Who Live In The Hearts Of Men Never Die

By Vijay Kumar Dubey

I remember Mukesh in a high school in Delhi were both of
us were studying. I remember him leaving for Bombay in
1940 and remember many boys from our school going to see
his first film "Nirdosh" in which he started opposite
Nalini Jaywant.

I remember meeting him Bombay in 1942 where I had come to
live. We become inseparables. I remember Mukesh's painful
process of growth and self-discovery, the call of music,
the visit to various studios to meet music directors,
hours of waiting, being rejected as a "bad singers" or
"no singer", year after year I remember seeing no
bitterness in him.

When a sudden family tragedy left me, a young boy,
homeless and penniless in Bombay, I remember Mukesh
taking me to his one room flat at Walkeshwar and saying -
"From now on this is your home and all in it is yours."

I remember a night at Chowpatty when we sat hungry, with
pockets empty, and nowhere to go. The rent was not paid
and the landlord would not let us enter the flat.

I remember us sharing a few rupees we would earn and
remember him showing me a letter from Mazhar Art
Productions offering him 250/- per song to sing for
"Pehli Nazar".

I remember Kardar studios, the musicians poised to start,
maestro Anil Biswas getting ready to give the signal and
sound recordist P.N. Arora starting the recording machine
"Dil Jalta Hai" was recorded. A hush pervaded.

Mukesh skyrocketed to fame. I remember the arduous climb,
even then, step by painful step.

I remember seeing a golden haired, blue-eyed
irrepressible young man named Raj Kapoor entering the
film industry, dazzling all with his brilliance and
setting the industry on fire with his "Aag" I remember
him meeting Mukesh.

I remember attending his 30th wedding anniversary on July
22nd, 1976 and I remember being with him in a taxi to
whisk away his bride-to-be for the wedding where Motilal,
Tara Harish, R.D.Mathur and so many who loved him,
waited.

I remember Mukesh recording "Tulsi Ramayan" for H.M.V.
and seeing him spend hours every day perfecting his
pronunciations of Avadhi. I remember his heart attack in
Calcutta and seeing a copy of the Ramayan under his
pillow in the hospital.

I remember promising to take him to Badrinath Temple, on
his return from U.S.A., as the morning in that holy
temple begins with the playing of his records of "Tulsi
Ramayan". But it was not to be.

I remember him start concerts in foreign land with the
song "Hum Us Desh Ke Waasi Hain, Jis Desh Main Ganga
Bahti Hai". I remember him being proud of his country
and the values it represented.

I remember a plaque which he brought from America a few
years ago, which still hangs in his music room at home. I
remember the inscription:

That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often
and loved much;

who has gained the respect, of intelligent men and the
love of children;

who has filled his niche and accomplished his task;

who leaves the world better that he found it, whether by
an improved poppy;

a perfect poem or a rescued soul;

who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or filled
to express it;

who looked for the best in others and gave the best he
had.

- Vijay Kumar Dubey

End of forwarded post.

What, no mention of K. L. Sehgal?