SUBHASH CHANDRA BOSE - A HERO FORGOTTEN BY THE NATION *** Jai Maharaj posts

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 21, 2010, 10:06:44 PM1/21/10
Subhash Chandra Bose: A hero forgotten by the nation

Netaji and his INA played a crucial role in the British decision to
quit India, says Sujit Sankar Chattopadhyay

Op-Ed
The Pioneer
Friday, January 22, 2010

It is well known that Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose did not get a good
Press till recently from any of the important political parties in
his time. The Congress naturally disapproved of his open defiance of
MK Gandhi in the Tripuri election; the Communists were hardly
expected to praise anyone who sought the aid of Axis powers for
attaining India's freedom through military operations. (They have
since revised their opinion, though.) There was a tendency even among
the general readers of history to brush aside his military adventure
as a romantic exercise in futility.

The only piece of documentary evidence which seems to highlight the
importance of Bose's military operation with the help of the Japanese
Army comes from a letter written by PB Chuckraborty, the then Chief
Justice of the Calcutta High Court, who had met Clement Attlee at a
tea party in 1956 in Kolkata when the latter had visited India and
asked him about the role of Bose and his INA in the transfer of
power.

The following is an extract from his letter to a friend dated March
30, 1976 (as reported in a blog, Friends of India, on August 13,
2007):

"When I was acting as Governor of West Bengal in 1956, Lord Clement
Attlee who as the British Prime Minister in post-War years was
responsible for India's freedom, visited India and stayed in Raj
Bhavan, Calcutta, for two days and I put it straight to him like
this: 'The Quit India Movement of Gandhi practically died out long
before 1947 and there was nothing in the Indian situation at that
time, which made it necessary for the British to leave India in a
hurry. Why then did they do so?'

"In reply, Attlee cited several reasons, the most important of which
were the INA activities of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, which
weakened the very foundation of the British Empire in India, and the
RIN mutiny which made the British realise that the Indian armed
forces could no longer be trusted to prop up the British. When asked
about the extent to which the British decision to quit India was
influenced by Mahatma Gandhi's 1942 movement, Attlee's lips widened
in a smile of disdain and he uttered, slowly, 'Minimal'."

For a long time this was the sole evidence of the most important
decision-maker in the transfer of power about the important role
played by Bose. I want to draw the attention of the readers of The
Pioneer to circumstantial evidence in support of this document which
was furnished by the eminent historian, Prof Barun De, in an article
published in The Telegraph, Kolkata. I met Prof De on January 18 and
again he confirmed the incident, although he could not recount the
exact date. The incident is as follows:

One morning, while studying at Oxford University, Prof De and his
friend Kamal Hasan had gone for breakfast at Nuffield Hall where they
chanced upon old Earl Attlee. Prof De and his friend went up to him,
introduced themselves and put the question raised in the letter of PB
Chuckraborty, about the crucial role of Bose and his INA in hastening
the independence of India by completely shaking the confidence of the
British Government in the loyalty of Indian troops. Attlee confirmed
the statement he had purportedly made earlier and also his assessment
of the relatively unimportant role of Gandhi's movement on the
transfer of power.

Prof De's brief article in The Telegraph is very important because
this is a confirmation in writing by a leading historian of the Left
about the assessment of the then British Prime Minister on the role
of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, the forgotten national hero whose
birth anniversary is observed on January 23, in hastening India's
independence.

- The writer is a former Secretary to the Government of India.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/151721/Subhash-Chandra-Bose-A-hero-forgotten-by-the-nation.htmlPRINT

More at:
http://www.dailypioneer.com

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

Mirza Ghalib

Jan 21, 2010, 11:53:41 PM1/21/10
On Jan 21, 7:06 pm, use...@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr.

Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> Subhash Chandra Bose: A hero forgotten by the nation
>
> Netaji and his INA played a crucial role in the British decision to
> quit India, says Sujit Sankar Chattopadhyay
>
> Op-Ed
> The Pioneer
> Friday, January 22, 2010
>
> It is well known that Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose did not get a good
> Press till recently from any of the important political parties in
> his time. The Congress naturally disapproved of his open defiance of
> MK Gandhi in the Tripuri election; the Communists were hardly
> expected to praise anyone who sought the aid of Axis powers for
> attaining India's freedom through military operations. (They have
> since revised their opinion, though.) There was a tendency even among
> the general readers of history to brush aside his military adventure
> as a romantic exercise in futility.

I totally agree. Bose was a dynamic man and if he
had been in charge of rebuilding India, results
would have been very different. Moreover, good
chance partition would not happened.

Of course you know that your friend Gandhi was
instrumental in ousting Bose from congress. But not
many know in what devious manner Gandhi did it.
There an entire chapter on Bose's ouster in H.N. Pandit's
"Fragments of History". It illustrates Gandhi's skill
at manipulation, though outwardly he feigned total
innocence.

Bose was heartbroken after his ouster. The direction
of his thinking changed, some say.

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 22, 2010, 12:22:08 AM1/22/10
In article <65c03339-dc5a-4411...@q4g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Mirza Ghalib <mgha...@yahoo.com> posted:

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
>
> > Subhash Chandra Bose: A hero forgotten by the nation
> >
> > Netaji and his INA played a crucial role in the British decision to
> > quit India, says Sujit Sankar Chattopadhyay
> >
> > Op-Ed
> > The Pioneer
> > Friday, January 22, 2010
> >
> > It is well known that Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose did not get a good
> > Press till recently from any of the important political parties in
> > his time. The Congress naturally disapproved of his open defiance of
> > MK Gandhi in the Tripuri election; the Communists were hardly
> > expected to praise anyone who sought the aid of Axis powers for
> > attaining India's freedom through military operations. (They have
> > since revised their opinion, though.) There was a tendency even among
> > the general readers of history to brush aside his military adventure
> > as a romantic exercise in futility. . . .

> I totally agree. Bose was a dynamic man and if he
> had been in charge of rebuilding India, results
> would have been very different. Moreover, good
> chance partition would not happened.
>
> Of course you know that your friend Gandhi was
> instrumental in ousting Bose from congress. But not
> many know in what devious manner Gandhi did it.
> There an entire chapter on Bose's ouster in H.N. Pandit's
> "Fragments of History". It illustrates Gandhi's skill
> at manipulation, though outwardly he feigned total
> innocence.
>
> Bose was heartbroken after his ouster. The direction
> of his thinking changed, some say.

Please read the following written by Dr. Savita Singh:

"Mahatma Gandhiji is revered in India as the Father of the Nation.
Much before the Constitution of Free India conferred the title of the
Father of the Nation upon the Mahatma, it was Netaji Subhash Chandra
Bose who first addressed him as such in his condolence message to the
Mahatma on the demise of Kasturba.

"Ba and Bapu had been interned at Aga Khan Palace, Pune in the wake
of the Quit India Movement. It was while serving the prison term
Kasturba passed away on 22 February, 1944.

"Concerned about Gandhiji, Netaji sent the following message to the
Mahatma on Azad Hind Radio, Rangoon on 4th June, 1944.

"'...........Nobody would be more happy than ourselves if by any
chance our countrymen at home should succeed in liberating themselves
through their own efforts or by any chance, the British Government
accepts your "Quit India" resolution and gives effect to it. We are,
however proceeding on the assumption that neither of the above is
possible and that a struggle is inevitable. Father of our Nation in
this holy war for India's liberation, we ask for your blessings and
good wishes.'

"The above message also proves beyond any doubt Netaji's reverence
and warm feelings towards Gandhiji whom he had addressed as 'The
Father of the Nation'

"There have been many queries as to how could Gandhi be called the
Father of an ancient civilization like ours. No one is questioning
the antiquity of this ancient land. But India, that is Bharat as we
know today that has emerged out of an old civilization is a recent
phenomenon. This multicultural multi-ethnic country became a Nation-
State owing allegiance to one Constitution, one flag and one
Government only on 15 August, 1947. Mahatma Gandhi crystallized about
him the living forces of the soil. So it seemed to a vast millions of
Indians, and who saw a Father figure in him and whose 'Bapu' he was."

- Dr. Savita Singh

http://www.mkgandhi.org/faq/faq.htm

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

"A king, though endowed with little prowess,
starting on an expedition at the proper time, in
view of the good positions of the planets, achieves
greatness that is eulogised in the scriptures."
- Brhat Samhita, 104.60

harmony

Jan 25, 2010, 2:22:53 PM1/25/10

<use...@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote in
message news:20100121CrCgQLxVI2j50B7k21y9a54@FPmBF...

> In article
> <65c03339-dc5a-4411...@q4g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
> Mirza Ghalib <mgha...@yahoo.com> posted:
>
>> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

"There have been many queries as to how could Gandhi be called the

Father of an ancient civilization like ours. No one is questioning
the antiquity of this ancient land. But India, that is Bharat as we
know today that has emerged out of an old civilization is a recent
phenomenon. This multicultural multi-ethnic country became a Nation-
State owing allegiance to one Constitution, one flag and one
Government only on 15 August, 1947. Mahatma Gandhi crystallized about
him the living forces of the soil. So it seemed to a vast millions of
Indians, and who saw a Father figure in him and whose 'Bapu' he was."

- Dr. Savita Singh

---------------------------------
the above wonderfully summarizes mahatma gandhi. critics like mirza & co can
never understand what an earth shattering thing this is.

Mirza Ghalib

Jan 25, 2010, 11:51:20 PM1/25/10
On Jan 25, 11:22 am, "harmony" <a...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> <use...@mantra.com and/orwww.mantra.com/jai(Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote in
> messagenews:20100121CrCgQLxVI2j50B7k21y9a54@FPmBF...
>
> > In article

>  - Dr. Savita Singh
>
> ---------------------------------
> the above wonderfully summarizes mahatma gandhi. critics like mirza & co can
> never understand what an earth shattering thing this is.

Who is this Savita Singh?

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Mar 4, 2010, 7:31:57 PM3/4/10
In article <4b5def90$0$12437$bbae...@news.suddenlink.net>,
"harmony" <a...@hotmail.com> posted:

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> > In article
> > <65c03339-dc5a-4411...@q4g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
> > Mirza Ghalib <mgha...@yahoo.com> posted:

> >> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
>
> "There have been many queries as to how could Gandhi be called the
> Father of an ancient civilization like ours. No one is questioning
> the antiquity of this ancient land. But India, that is Bharat as we
> know today that has emerged out of an old civilization is a recent
> phenomenon. This multicultural multi-ethnic country became a Nation-
> State owing allegiance to one Constitution, one flag and one
> Government only on 15 August, 1947. Mahatma Gandhi crystallized about
> him the living forces of the soil. So it seemed to a vast millions of
> Indians, and who saw a Father figure in him and whose 'Bapu' he was."
>
> - Dr. Savita Singh

> ---------------------------------
> the above wonderfully summarizes mahatma gandhi. critics like mirza & co can
> never understand what an earth shattering thing this is.

The need of the day then was to unite *everyone* against the Brits. He and
many other patriots accomplished that.

harmony

Mar 5, 2010, 12:29:43 PM3/5/10

<use...@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote in
message news:20100304LnFO2PhuTliQ5OAbe69tv82@F74f5...

yes, under the undisputed leadership of mahatma.
but they did not do one thing that mahatma wanted: abolition of the
political organization of congress after independence.