Mani Kaul's IDIOT (1991)

Prabha

Sep 24, 2006, 10:06:18 PM9/24/06
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone seen THE IDIOT (or AHMAQ) directed by Mani Kaul? Any ideas
from where I can get this film?

Thank you.

Champak Bhumiya

Sep 27, 2006, 12:02:23 AM9/27/06
Never heard of this movie.
maybe RK, or Anand or Arun can shed more light

asi...@my-deja.com

Sep 27, 2006, 6:04:17 PM9/27/06

I've never heard of it either.

Cheers
Arun

Vinay

Sep 29, 2006, 11:12:03 AM9/29/06

It's a 1991 film based on Dostoevsky's novel of the same name, starring
Shahrukh Khan ( when he was still a newcomer). I remember it being
talked about quite a lot during that time.

Mani Kaul is considered one of the important signatures of the parallel
and experimental Hindi cinema. Most of his films were based on
literature. One of which 'Duvidha' incidentally was based on the same
story that was made as 'Paheli' recently by Amol Palekar. I would love
to see his take on it, since he comes from the same region where the
story is set and would know the original language of the novel well.

I wanted to include one of his movies in my 100-essential-viewing list
but unfortuantely I don't remember seeing any of them and can't seem to
find them either. Which also answers Prabha's question in a way - it is
hard to find. If someone knows where to find his films, I would like to
know too. I am especially interested in Uski Roti, Ashadh Ka Ek Din,
Duvidha, and Naukar Ki Kameej.

Vinay

> Cheers
> Arun

Oct 1, 2006, 3:27:41 AM10/1/06

Vinay wrote:
> asi...@my-deja.com wrote:
> > Champak Bhumiya wrote:
> > > Never heard of this movie.
> > > maybe RK, or Anand or Arun can shed more light

> > I've never heard of it either.
> >

> It's a 1991 film based on Dostoevsky's novel of the same name, starring
> Shahrukh Khan ( when he was still a newcomer).

Must be a crap movie then.

> I remember it being
> talked about quite a lot during that time.

another example of one of the 97.85% flop SRK movies that were released
between may and september and did not have jatin lalit's music, and
were longer than 177 minutes but shorter than 183 minutes

Prabha

Oct 3, 2006, 1:32:03 AM10/3/06

> Must be a crap movie then.
>
> > I remember it being
> > talked about quite a lot during that time.
>
> another example of one of the 97.85% flop SRK movies that were released
> between may and september and did not have jatin lalit's music, and
> were longer than 177 minutes but shorter than 183 minutes

Mr V,
If you do not have any information on the movie please don't take the
pains to post. I don't want any criticism for any actor in my thread

Thank you.

asi...@my-deja.com

Oct 3, 2006, 5:56:24 PM10/3/06

Vinay wrote:

> It's a 1991 film based on Dostoevsky's novel of the same name, starring
> Shahrukh Khan ( when he was still a newcomer). I remember it being
> talked about quite a lot during that time.

Ah, that puts it in the same period of 'Madame Bouvary' (Maya Memsahib)
by Ketan Mehta. I recall that SRK was acknowledged a great deal by the
chatterati during this period for (a) not hiking his rate by
astronimical sums (b) acting in semi-parallel cinema. His Chopra-Johar
phase came much later.

Cheers
Arun

Oct 4, 2006, 10:51:22 AM10/4/06

Ms Prabha,

When you post messages on a public forum, whatever be it, you should
be ready for all sorts of responses. There is nothing like "my
thread". Its out there (ref: harry met sally) and people are going to
post responses, some of them OT. There is not much you can do about it
( or can you? )

SRK is a crap actor. But Don is going to be a superhit.

And it seems like no one except the director has even heard of Ahmaq.
That itself tells you so much.

Good night.

georah...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2014, 2:35:50 PM7/15/14
did you find a link... i am finding the same

que...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2015, 11:04:14 PM3/3/15