GOAN DRUG DEALER'S ASSETS WORTH RS 2 CRORE FROZEN

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Apr 21, 2010, 9:43:50 AM4/21/10
Goan drug dealer's assets worth Rs 2 crore frozen

IANS
The Times of India
Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Panaji - Goa police has frozen all the assets, including cash,
properties and investments, of a notorious drug peddler, a senior
police officer said. It is the first time that such action has been
taken against a drug peddler.

Cash, several properties and assets worth Rs.2 crore belonging to
Sadanand Chimulkar were frozen under the Smugglers and Foreign
Exchange Manipulators (Forfeiture of Property) Act (SAFEMA) because
they were bought from proceeds of narcotics sale, Superintendent of
Police Veenu Bansal said on Tuesday.

"The assets were obtained as proceeds from the narcotics trade. This
is the first time ever that we have taken steps to freeze assets of
drug peddlers," Bansal said, adding that the move would serve as a
deterrent to drug peddlers at large in the state.

"The aim is to send a message to anyone linked to the drugs trade
that on arrest, money amassed from the drug trade over the years can
be frozen. On conviction, the frozen assets are automatically seized
by the government," Bansal said.

Sadanand Chimulkar alias Bhui, a notorious drug dealer from Anjuna,
was arrested in January this year with drugs worth Rs.4 lakh.

According to police records Bhui had more than 21 known bank
accounts, over a dozen life insurance policies and properties in
several parts of Goa and Maharashtra.

Bhui and his wife also owned more than a kilogram of gold, all of
which has been frozen under SAFEMA, a finance ministry legislation.

"Bhui's wife had withdrawn Rs.20 lakh after her husband's arrest.
That has been frozen too," Bansal said.

Goa, infamously known as a narcotics haven, has of late seen the
arrest of two other foreign drug dealers named David Driham alias
Dudu and Yaniv Benaim alias Atala. The arrests by the Goa Police
followed categorical statements by home minister Ravi Naik that there
were no drugs being sold in Goa.

More at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/goa/Goan-drug-dealers-assets-worth-Rs-2-crore-frozen-/articleshow/5839289.cms

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

cogitoergosum

Apr 21, 2010, 1:04:32 PM4/21/10
> Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> this post may be reposted several times.

brhamastyajagatmithyaa: Sid Harth
http://thetruthwholetruthandnothingbuttruth.blogspot.com/p/brahmasatyajagatmithyaa-sid-harth.html

Adi Shankaracharya (1983)

MOVIEmeter: Down 15% in popularity this week.

Director:G.V. Iyer
Writers:Benanjaya Godvincharya (dialogue) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0324234/
G.V. Iyer (screenplay)

Genre:Biography |
Plot:The first and only Indian movie to be made in Sanskrit. The movie
follows the life and times of Sankara...

Cast (Credited cast)

Sarvadaman D. Banerjee ... Shankara (Adi Shankaracharya)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0051850/
M.V. Narayana Rao http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0710575/
Manjunath Bhatt http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0080318/
Leela Narayana Rao http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0710572/
L.V. Sharada Rao http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0788687/
Bharat Bhushan http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0080445/
T.S. Nagabharana http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0619056/
Srinivasa Prabhu http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0694898/
Gopal http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0329699/
V.R.K. Prasad http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0695275/
Gopalakrishnan http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1128222/
Gayathri Balu http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0051270/
Balasubramanyam http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0049479/
Balu Barghava http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0054561/

Country:India
Language:Sanskrit
Color:Color
Certification:India:U
Company:National Film Development Corporation

IMDb user reviews for
Adi Shankaracharya (1983)

Index 4 reviews in total

6 out of 6 people found the following review useful:
Amazingly blissful movie, 12 December 2005

Author: m-o-k-s-h-a from Bangalore, India

Its a very well shot movie with the scenes mostly speaking for
themselves, although the dialogues are great in Sanskrit. Shri GV Iyer
definitely must've understood the advaita philosophy well to do such a
fantabulous job. Moreover, the director has kept the events that had
varied opinions (that is, where not everyone agrees on what exactly
happened then) left to interpretation in most cases.

The acting of each individual is praiseworthy. The Vedic recitation
has been captured well, and in these modern years, one of the most
difficult jobs of bringing in age-old authenticity to the geography
has been achieved without doubt.

The movie brings an amazing calm with it and takes you at a different
level with each scene, also making you want to see more of GV Iyer's
works. Sadly, he passed away before finishing his work on Ramayana.

4 out of 4 people found the following review useful:
Absolute Bliss - A Gem among the movies, 19 March 2007

Author: madhavsr from United States

DON'T MISS THIS MOVIE AT ANY COST. If you like classics, this would be
at the top your list.

No words can describe the bliss you'd enjoy after watching this movie.
This movie about Advaita and Sankara comes with a screenplay and
characterization that is completely different from the run-of-the-mill
movies and easy-to-swallow story lines. Interpretation is left to the
viewer and whichever way viewer interprets, he/she ends up in
understanding Advaita!

G V Iyer's idea of personifying Wisdom and Death as Sankara's friends,
to me, is the best part of the film. It takes the viewer into a
sublime world. The abstract Advaita explained the best way! Vedic
Hyms, music is excellent (Balamuralikrishna has done a good job).

A special mention for the locations. Amazing locales. Be it Narmada in
full flow or the ascetic caves, G V Iyer has done a terrific
groundwork to identify and use the perfect locales.

All actors lived with their characters. It is a music to ears while
listening to dialogues in Samskrit.

Only sore point of the movie was the production quality. I wish this
movie is remade with better cinematography, cameraman. Pity and shame
that there was no big financial support in 1983 for this first ever
Samskrit movie. And you don't get the DVD for this movie in India. It
is only available in US market. Why?

2 out of 2 people found the following review useful:
A truly devotional, classical and amazing film on life of Adi
Shankaracharya, 24 May 2006

Author: amith_sripad from India

Adi Shankaracharya is well known not only in India but the rest of the
world. He lived around 1100 years ago and has worked greatly for the
benefit of Hindu society. His life is pure and beyond question. He is
an inspiration to all human beings.

G.V.Iyer has captured the mood of the times of Adi Shankara so well
that we feel that we are leaving in a bygone era while watching the
movie. It is taken as an art movie more than a commercial movie and is
a treat to watch. Selection of actors is also good, also the locations
and the narration. The language and the scenes in the movie depict the
times and is not influenced by the present condition. Also there is no
exaggeration which is attempted in the movie. G.V.Iyer has also taken
movies like Madhvacharya, Ramanujacharya, Bhagavad Gita, Shantala,
Swami Vivekananda, Hamsa Geethe to name a few. All the movies are
simple, but the message and mood is definitely out of the world
experience. Hope our new trend of directors will imbibe from the likes
of G.V.Iyer which I feel is a real tribute to the master.

3 out of 4 people found the following review useful:
Important movie, 28 July 2006

Author: mlredr from United States

I am thankful to the director for making this movie. The idea of
depicting Death as a young companion of Adi Shankara is just
brilliant. It also gives us a glimpse of times past and the glory and
heroism of Adi Shankara's mission. The only complaint I have is the
low-budget nature of the project. The reason must be that the movie
was not commercially funded and lacked the financial resources of a
big-budget production, but that may be for the better since the
director did not have to bow to commercial compulsions in making the
movie. A grander production of the same movie in regional languages is
long overdue given Adi Shankara's instrumental role in reconciling
Buddhist philosophy with Vedic Philosophy and singlehandedly
revitalizing Dharma in India.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085138/usercomments

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085138/

G.V. Iyer

Date of Birth:1918, Tamil Nadu, British India [now India]

Filmography

Director: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0412676/#director

Vivekananda (1994) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454314/
Bhagwat Geeta (1993) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106407/
... aka "Bhagvad Gita: Song of the Lord" - USA

Ramanujacharya (1989) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230683/
Wall Poster (1989) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230964/
Madhavacharya (1986) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230483/
Adi Shankaracharya (1983) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085138/
... aka "The Philosopher" - International (English title) (informal
literal title)

Kudre Motte (1977) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230430/
Nalegannu Maduvavara (1976) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230564/
Aakhri Geet (1975) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0229947/
Hamse Geethe (1975) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230271/

Chowkada Deepa (1969) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230085/
Vichitra Samsara (1969) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230946/
Mysore Tonga (1968) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230553/
... aka "Horse Carriage from Mysore" - India (English title)
Nane Bhagyavathi (1968) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230568/
Rajasekara (1967) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230681/
Kiladi Ranga (1966) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230415/
Postmaster (1964) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230647/
Bangari (1963) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230023/
Layaru Magalu (1963) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230450/
Bhoodana (1962) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230036/
... aka "The Gift of Land" - India (English title)

Thai Karulu (1962) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230869/
Thayin Karunai (1962) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230871/

Actor: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0412676/#actor

Hemavathi (1977) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1389491/
Vamsha Vriksha (1971) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067925/
... aka "The Family Tree" - India (English title)

Kantheredu Nodu (1961) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408018/
Ranadheera Kanteerava (1960) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323766/

Sadarame (1956) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1111403/
Bhakta Mallikarjuna (1955) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366230/
Bedara Kannapa (1954) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0273458/

Writer: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0412676/#writer

Vivekananda (1994) (screenplay) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454314/
Bhagwat Geeta (1993) (writer) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106407/
... aka "Bhagvad Gita: Song of the Lord" - USA

Adi Shankaracharya (1983) (screenplay)
... aka "The Philosopher" - International (English title) (informal
literal title)

Gange Gowri (1967) (writer) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250400/
Ranadheera Kanteerava (1960) (writer) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323766/
Bedara Kannapa (1954) (play) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0273458/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0412676/

Sa for Sanskrit Pop: Sid Harth
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/9127ba7999de6446/7189bfb2446d30d8?lnk=gst&q=Sa+for+Sanskrit#7189bfb2446d30d8
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/9f6d369c7793990f/86617d9d57fd858c?lnk=gst&q=Sa+for+Sanskrit#86617d9d57fd858c
Sudharma, Sanskrit Newspaper: Sid Harth
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/51f22c78acbc72b1/e95594ade6cc2436?lnk=gst&q=Sudharma+Sanskrit+Newspaper#e95594ade6cc2436
Indian Philosophy: Sid Harth
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/466f52a33644d3b9#
Of Aryas and Anaryas: Sid Harth
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/8e6d6939dc32487b#
Hindu Superstition: Sid Harth
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/0bbe50a323c05335#
Indian Black Magic: Sid Harth
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/828814021a2992cf#
dhammam saranam gassami: Sid Harth
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/15a620861e2c1ac2#
Of God, Godmen and Good men: Sid Harth
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/beee6405766fa364#
Caste, Cast in Stone: Sid Harth
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/648adb1bde47c21e#
Saraswati's Disappearance-ActI: Sid Harth
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/c1deefda4c12c9c5#
Hindu Worldview: Sid Harth
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/c8a515cc34f18a5a/c875a3b43ba8486a?lnk=gst&q=Hindu+Worldview%3A+Sid+Harth#c875a3b43ba8486a
I Write, Therefore I am: Sid Harth
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.indian.marathi/browse_thread/thread/4cb1ce65c9d8f4c5/eaa8e30223283b75?lnk=gst&q=Hindu+Worldview%3A+Sid+Harth#eaa8e30223283b75

...and I am Sid Harth

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Apr 21, 2010, 9:25:58 PM4/21/10

More at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/goa/Goan-drug-dealers-assets-worth-Rs-2-crore-frozen-/articleshow/5839289.cms

Since newsgroup posts are being removed

cogitoergosum

Apr 22, 2010, 2:07:30 AM4/22/10
> Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> this post may be reposted several times.

Religion, What's Your Poison?: Sid Harth
http://navanavonmilita.wordpress.com/religion-whats-your-poison-sid-harth/

Topics

Home .http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm
World Religions.http://www.sacred-texts.com/world.htm
Traditions.http://www.sacred-texts.com/trad.htm
Mysteries.http://www.sacred-texts.com/myst.htm
What's New?.http://www.sacred-texts.com/new.htm
About.http://www.sacred-texts.com/about.htm
Abuse.http://www.sacred-texts.com/abuse.htm
Books.http://www.sacred-texts.com/books.htm
Bibliography.http://www.sacred-texts.com/stbib.htm
Contact.http://www.sacred-texts.com/contact.htm
Credits.http://www.sacred-texts.com/credits.htm
Copyrights.http://www.sacred-texts.com/cnote.htm
Donate.http://www.sacred-texts.com/donate.htm
Downloads.http://www.sacred-texts.com/download.htm
FAQ.http://www.sacred-texts.com/faq.htm
Links.http://www.sacred-texts.com/links.htm
Map.http://www.sacred-texts.com/map.htm
Press.http://www.sacred-texts.com/press.htm
Privacy.http://www.sacred-texts.com/privacy.htm
Search.http://www.sacred-texts.com/search.htm
Top Level.http://www.sacred-texts.com/top.htm
Terms of Service.http://www.sacred-texts.com/tos.htm
Translate.http://www.sacred-texts.com/xlat.htm
Standards.http://www.sacred-texts.com/stand.htm
Unicode.http://www.sacred-texts.com/unicode.htm
Volunteer.http://www.sacred-texts.com/volun.htm
Wishlist.http://www.sacred-texts.com/wishlist.htm
Catalog.http://www.sacred-texts.com/cat/index.htm
African.http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/index.htm
Age of Reason.http://www.sacred-texts.com/aor/index.htm
Alchemy.http://www.sacred-texts.com/alc/index.htm
Americana.http://www.sacred-texts.com/ame/index.htm
Ancient Near East.http://www.sacred-texts.com/ane/index.htm
Astrology.http://www.sacred-texts.com/astro/index.htm
Asia.http://www.sacred-texts.com/asia/index.htm
Atlantis.http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/index.htm
Australia.http://www.sacred-texts.com/aus/index.htm
Basque.http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/basque/index.htm
Baha'i.http://www.sacred-texts.com/bhi/index.htm
Bible.http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/index.htm
Book of Shadows.http://www.sacred-texts.com/bos/index.htm
Buddhism.http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/index.htm
Celtic.http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/index.htm
Christianity.http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/index.htm
Classics.http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/index.htm
Comparative.http://www.sacred-texts.com/comp/index.htm
Confucianism.http://www.sacred-texts.com/cfu/index.htm
DNA.http://www.sacred-texts.com/dna/index.htm
Earth Mysteries.http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/index.htm
Egyptian.http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/index.htm
England.http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/index.htm
Esoteric/Occult.http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/index.htm
Evil.http://www.sacred-texts.com/evil/index.htm
Fortean.http://www.sacred-texts.com/fort/index.htm
Freemasonry.http://www.sacred-texts.com/mas/index.htm
Gothic.http://www.sacred-texts.com/goth/index.htm
Gnosticism.http://www.sacred-texts.com/gno/index.htm
Grimoires.http://www.sacred-texts.com/grim/index.htm
Hinduism.http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/index.htm
I Ching.http://www.sacred-texts.com/ich/index.htm
Islam.http://www.sacred-texts.com/isl/index.htm
Icelandic.http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ice/index.htm
Jainism.http://www.sacred-texts.com/jai/index.htm
Journals.http://www.sacred-texts.com/journals/index.htm
Judaism.http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/index.htm
Legends/Sagas.http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/index.htm
Legendary Creatures.http://www.sacred-texts.com/lcr/index.htm
LGBT.http://www.sacred-texts.com/lgbt/index.htm
Miscellaneous.http://www.sacred-texts.com/etc/index.htm
Mormonism.http://www.sacred-texts.com/mor/index.htm
Mysticism.http://www.sacred-texts.com/myst/index.htm
Native American.http://www.sacred-texts.com/nam/index.htm
Necronomicon.http://www.sacred-texts.com/nec/index.htm
New Thought.http://www.sacred-texts.com/nth/index.htm
Neopaganism/Wicca.http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/index.htm
Nostradamus.http://www.sacred-texts.com/nos/index.htm
Oahspe.http://www.sacred-texts.com/oah/index.htm
Pacific.http://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/index.htm
Paleolithic.http://www.sacred-texts.com/nel/index.htm
Parapsychology.http://www.sacred-texts.com/psi/index.htm
Philosophy.http://www.sacred-texts.com/phi/index.htm
Piri Re'is Map.http://www.sacred-texts.com/piri/index.htm
Prophecy.http://www.sacred-texts.com/pro/index.htm
Roma.http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/roma/index.htm
Sacred Books of the East.http://www.sacred-texts.com/sbe/index.htm
Sacred Sexuality.http://www.sacred-texts.com/sex/index.htm
Shakespeare.http://www.sacred-texts.com/sks/index.htm
Shamanism.http://www.sacred-texts.com/sha/index.htm
Shinto.http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/index.htm
Symbolism.http://www.sacred-texts.com/sym/index.htm
Sikhism.http://www.sacred-texts.com/skh/index.htm
Sub Rosa.http://www.sacred-texts.com/sro/index.htm
Swedenborg.http://www.sacred-texts.com/swd/index.htm
Tantra.http://www.sacred-texts.com/tantra/index.htm
Taoism.http://www.sacred-texts.com/tao/index.htm
Tarot.http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/index.htm
Thelema.http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/index.htm
Theosophy.http://www.sacred-texts.com/the/index.htm
Time.http://www.sacred-texts.com/time/index.htm
Tolkien.http://www.sacred-texts.com/ring/index.htm
UFOs.http://www.sacred-texts.com/ufo/index.htm
Utopia.http://www.sacred-texts.com/utopia/index.htm
Women.http://www.sacred-texts.com/wmn/index.htm
Wisdom of the East.http://www.sacred-texts.com/woe/index.htm
Zoroastrianism .http://www.sacred-texts.com/zor/index.htm

http://www.sacred-texts.com/zor/index.htm

The Rig Veda
Ralph T.H. Griffith, Translator
[1896]

This is the Ralph T.H. Griffith English translation of the Rig Veda.
This was one of the first etexts developed for this site. Each page of
this is cross-linked with the Sanskrit text of the Rig Veda. Both this
and the Sanskrit Rig Veda require browser support for Unicode. If you
have trouble seeing non-Latin characters in this text, refer to the
Sacred-texts Unicode page.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/unicode.htm

Rig-Veda, Book 1 .http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rvi01.htm
Rig-Veda, Book 2 .http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rvi02.htm
Rig-Veda, Book 3 .http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rvi03.htm
Rig-Veda, Book 4 .http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rvi04.htm
Rig-Veda, Book 5 .http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rvi05.htm
Rig-Veda, Book 6 .http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rvi06.htm
Rig-Veda, Book 7 .http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rvi07.htm
Rig-Veda, Book 8 .http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rvi08.htm
Rig-Veda, Book 9 .http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rvi09.htm

Rig-Veda, Book 10 .http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rvi10.htm

The Rig Veda
Ralph T.H. Griffith, Translator
Book 10

Some excerpts:

HYMN CLXXXVII. Agni.

1. To Agni send I forth my song, to him the Bull of all the folk:
So may he bear us past our foes.
2 Who from the distance far away shines brilliantly across the wastes:
So may he bear us past our foes.
3 The Bull with brightly-gleaming flame who utterly consumes the
fiends
So may he bear us past our foes.
4 Who looks on all existing things and comprehends them with his view:
So may he bear us past our foes.
5 Resplendent Agni, who was born in farthest region of the air:
So may he bear us past our foes.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv10187.htm

HYMN CLXXXVIII. Agni.

1. Now send ye Jātavedas forth, send hitherward the vigorous Steed
To seat him on our sacred grass.
2. I raise the lofty eulogy of Jātavedas, raining boons,
With sages for his hero band.
3 With flames of Jātavedas which carry oblation to the Gods,
May he promote our sacrifice.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv10188.htm

HYMN CLXXXIX. Sūrya.

1. THIS spotted Bull hath come, and sat before the Mother in the east,
Advancing to his Father heaven.
2 Expiring when he draws his breath, she moves along the lucid
spheres:
The Bull shines out through all the sky.
3 Song is bestowed upon the Bird: it rules supreme through thirty
realms
Throughout the days at break of morn.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv10189.htm

HYMN CXC. Creation.

1. FROM Fervour kindled to its height Eternal Law and Truth were born:
Thence was the Night produced, and thence the billowy flood of sea
arose.
2 From that same billowy flood of sea the Year was afterwards
produced,
Ordainer of the days nights, Lord over all who close the eye.
3 Dhātar, the great Creator, then formed in due order Sun and Moon.
He formed in order Heaven and Earth, the regions of the air, and
light.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv10190.htm

HYMN CXCI. Agni.

1. THOU, mighty Agni, gatherest up all that is precious for thy
friend.
Bring us all treasures as thou art enkindled in libation's place
2 Assemble, speak together: let your minds be all of one accord,
As ancient Gods unanimous sit down to their appointed share.
3 The place is common, common the assembly, common the mind, so be
their thought united.
A common purpose do I lay before you, and worship with your general
oblation.
4 One and the same be your resolve, and be your minds of one accord.
United be the thoughts of all that all may happily agree.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv10191.htm

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rvsan/index.htm

Unicode

Many files posted at sacred texts since the spring of 2002 have
embedded Unicode. Unicode is a multi-byte alphabet which can represent
all major world scripts, and many obscure ones as well. This solves a
major problem for creators of etexts, as it is now possible to fully
transcribe texts in multiple languages without requiring ASCII
transliterations, special fonts or browsing software. Unicode enabling
also takes care of right-to-left scripts more-or-less automatically.

All modern web browsers support Unicode if you have a decent Unicode
font installed, provided you designate that font as your default font.

That said, this is definitely still on the cutting edge, and you may
need to tweak your browser settings to get the full character set. And
there are some features which are buggy in particular browsers,
although support seems to be getting better in newer versions; having
an up-to-date version of your operating system also helps.

For instance, some browsers have a few problems displaying some
subscript and superscript characters such as Hebrew vowel points (they
get displayed to the left of where they should be, with a space above
them). Some older versions of Internet Explorer do not display medial
and final forms when displaying Arabic (which makes it unusable for
this purpose). Firefox 3, on Windows XP, with Code2000 doesn't display
the entire Quran character set, particularly some more obscure ones.
IE8 on Windows XP, with Code2000 renders all but three of the archaic
Quranic characters correctly. We haven't tested every browser/OS/font
combination. For this reason, we have also posted a version of the
Quran which uses gif images to display Arabic. But this is an
exception. And this may have been fixed in more recent versions of the
browser.

It appears that Firefox does not render Devanagari 'i' correctly: it
places it after the associated consonant, not before.

IE and Safari do not display the correct presentation forms for
Unicode Cyrillic italics: Safari does not even allow Cyrillic to be
italicized, whereas IE shows italicized forms of the base graphemes,
which is incorrect. Opera and Firefox display these presentation forms
correctly. Strangely enough, the italic Cyrillic presentation forms
are displayed correctly in MS Word 2003.

Some problems viewing some polytonic Greek files on the 5.0 CD-ROM
under Mac OS-X have been reported. These have been fixed on the
website and the 6.0 DVD-ROM, but not on the 5.0 CD-ROM.

We welcome any comments or questions about the visibility of Unicode
on this site in various browsers, and we will add advisories on this
page. Extensive Unicode resources can be found at unicode.org
[External Site].

Recommended Unicode Fonts

If you need a Unicode font, we recommend the Code 2000 shareware font
[External Site]. This is a very extensive Windows font, and the one
which we use to test the site with.

We also recommend the site http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html,
which lists dozens of Unicode fonts for a variety of platforms.

A Unicode font, Arial Unicode MS, comes with Windows XP. It has some
good points: it seems to have better coverage of some of the more
obscure Arabic characters than Code2000. That said, Arial Unicode MS
is not pretty, and if reading everything in a sans serif font isn't
your cup of tea, you may want to look elsewhere. Note that this font
may not be installed on your XP system by default. If you have XP and
don't see Arial Unicode MS as one of your available fonts, you may
need to dig out your Windows disk. You also can buy it from Microsoft,
but they charge an exorbitant $99 for it. With so many free and
inexpensive Unicode fonts, there is no reason to pay that much!

There is also a page about font issues regarding the Unicode Hebrew
Bible at sacred-texts which includes a specialized redistributable
font.

Enabling Unicode in Your Browser

The most common complaint is 'I downloaded and installed Code2000 but
I still see little boxes in your files'. This is because you also have
to tell your browser that you want to view Unicode content using that
font.

First of all, we recommend that if you have an older browser, you
should obtain the most recent version. If you are using AOL or another
ISP which has a bundled browser, you may wish to get the most recent
version of Internet Explorer or Netscape and use it for browsing
Unicode content; the bundled browsers are notoriously buggy,
particularly when it comes to cutting-edge features such as Unicode.

Here's how to get Unicode working in Internet Explorer using Code2000.
The procedure is very similar for other browsers.

1. Download and Install the Unicode Font

First of all you need to download the font and install it. For
instance, if you are using Windows XP, you start the Control Panel
'Fonts' program, and then select 'Install New Font' from the 'File'
menu.

2. Make the Unicode Font Your Default Web Page Font

Let's assume you have downloaded and installed the 'Code2000' font.
Start Internet Explorer and go into 'Tools | Internet Options' and
select the 'Fonts' dialog.

On the 'Web Page Font', Code2000 should show up in the scrolling
listbox, if you downloaded it and installed it correctly. Select it.

Unless you do this, some Unicode characters (such as the accented
Greek characters and some Hebrew characters) may not show up.

I'm still seeing little boxes! What to do?

The most common problem is skipping step two in the previous section.
If you don't designate a full Unicode font as your default 'Web Page
Font', you will still only have whatever minimal Unicode support is
built into your operating system.

Typically this will include some of the simplest extended Latin
accented characters, as well as basic Greek and Hebrew characters.
However, you won't be able to view specialized accented Latin
characters, polytonic Greek, or pointed Hebrew. You won't be able to
see any Arabic or Devanagari characters, astrological symbols, and so
on. These will show up as the dreaded 'boxes' (or question marks in
some browsers).

The web pages with heavy Unicode dependencies at this site don't have
embedded font information because that would greatly inflate their
size; and in the case of sections such as the Hebrew Bible and
Sanskrit/Transliterated Rig Veda, that adds up to some serious extra
baggage. Therefore I leave it up to you to tell your browser which
font to use. You can always switch it back easily if you aren't
reading specialized Unicode content.

Manually Selecting Unicode Encoding

You may need to also manually select 'Unicode (UTF-8)' in certain
browsers. For instance, under Internet Explorer, you can select 'View
| Encoding', and 'Unicode (UTF-8)'. Under Netscape, this is 'View |
Character Coding'.

Technically, some of these pages don't use the UTF-8 encoding scheme.
However this seems to be the only way to specify that you are viewing
Unicode content for some browsers. I've started to add UTF-8 META tags
to all files which have any amount of Unicode. This seems to have
helped.

Unicode Implementation

Technically speaking, the Unicode characters are embedded in 8 bit
HTML using 'character entities', for instance:

ॐ = ॐ
א = א‎
Ω = Ω

If your browser is Unicode-enabled, you should see the Sanskrit letter
for 'Aum' (see this image); the Hebrew letter Aleph, and a Greek
capital Omega above.

For disk space and bandwidth reasons, I've also started to use the
UTF-8 encoding scheme in the files which are predominantly Unicode,
such as the Greek and Hebrew portions of the Bible and the Rig Veda.
This is a variable-length binary compression scheme which encodes
Unicode efficiently. Instead of the 6 bytes per character that the
HTML entity requires, UTF-8 requires one to three bytes to represent
the 16 bit Unicode character set. Most modern browsers handle UTF-8
automatically, assuming you have installed a complete Unicode font.

In some cases Unicode has been used to transcribe Latin characters
with accents outside the ISO-8859-1 HTML character set. In other cases
complete texts or extensive portions of the text are in Unicode. Among
the Unicode character sets in use currently are Arabic, Chinese,
Extended Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Tibetan, Runic and Sanskrit.

Some of the Unicode-enabled files at sacred-texts include:

The Hebrew Bible (Tanakh) [Hebrew] http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/tan/index.htm
The Septuagint [Greek] http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/sep/index.htm
The Greek New Testament http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/gnt/index.htm
The Qur'an [Arabic] http://www.sacred-texts.com/isl/uq/index.htm
The Rig Veda [Sanskrit] http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rvsan/index.htm
The Poems of Sappho [Greek] http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/usappho/index.htm
The Confucian Classics in Chinese and English [Chinese]
http://www.sacred-texts.com/cfu/cfu.htm
The Gnostic John the Baptizer [Greek, Extended Latin]
http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/gno/gjb/index.htm
She-rab Dong-bu [Tibetan] http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/srdb/index.htm
The Kebra Nagast [Ethiopian, Extended Latin] http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/kn/index.htm
The Rune Poem [Runic] http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ascp/a12.htm
Introduction to Astrology [Astrological Signs] http://www.sacred-texts.com/astro/aia/aia17.htm
The Tale of the Armament of Igor [Cyrillic, Extended Latin]
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/tai/index.htm

Books are selected by Amazon.com and are not necessarily endorsed by
this site

This is a quiet place in cyberspace
devoted to religious tolerance and scholarship

Non-public domain contents of this site

not otherwise copyrighted are © copyright 2010, John Bruno Hare, All
Rights Reserved.
See Site copyrights, Terms of Service for more information.

Open Source for the Human Soul

http://www.sacred-texts.com/unicode.htm