Re: Modi gives good snub to the Italian on food price rises

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 29, 2010, 3:57:58 PM1/29/10
Does Sonia Maino Gandhi even have any knowledge of what's going
on? She is being used as a vote magnet, that's about it. More
Hindutv leaders need to be as candid and courageous as Modi ji.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

In article <9edd035a-7ee4-4144...@v20g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
Mirza Ghalib <mgha...@yahoo.com> posted:

> Well done Narendra Modi ji !
>
> And there is not the slightest bit of hyperbole here. When I last
> knew, Madam used to
> read Hindi from a transcription in the Roman script, done in advance
> by her Indian
> Hindi speaking slaves.
>
> =================================
>
> CONG FUMES AS MODI SAYS WILL WRITE TO SONIA ON PRICE RISE IN ITALIAN
> PTI, 29 January 2010, 06:31pm IST
>
> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Cong-fumes-as-Modi-says-will-write-to-Sonia-on-price-rise-in-Italian/articleshow/5513939.cms
>
> AHMEDABAD/NEW DELHI: Whipping up Sonia Gandhi's foreign origin to flag
> the price rise issue, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi made a
> veiled attack on the Congress chief saying he would now write a letter
> to the Centre in 'Italian' to make it act to rein in food prices.
> ( Watch Video )
>
> The Congress hit back at the BJP leader's personal attack suggesting
> he has become mad. "He has lost his mind. From an uncivilised person,
> you can only expect such a presposterous rhetoric. I would not even
> want to dignify such comments by speaking from this podium," Congress
> spokesman Manish Tiwari said in New Delhi today.
>
> Speaking at a Garib Kalyan Mela at Patan, about 130 km from here, last
> night, Modi said, "I have written a number of letters to Central
> Government on the issue of price rise. I have written letters in the
> language they can understand urging them to take steps to do something
> about the rising prices of food items.
>
> "But, I think that they have no sympathy for the poor people and it
> seems that they are not willing to take steps to control rising
> prices. Now, I need to write a letter in Italian," he said.
>
> Modi and Sonia have had a few run-ins during the Gujarat Assembly
> election campaign towards the end of 2008.
>
> "They (Centre) had organised a meeting on the issue of price rise. But
> have now postponed it saying that they have some other work. I don't
> understand what work is more important than addressing the issue of
> price rise," Modi said.
>
> "Keeping poor people hungry in this manner will lead to nemesis of the
> Central government," Modi said.
>
> 'Garib Kalyan Mela' is brainchild of Modi to provide the direct
> benefit of schemes meant for poor without involving middlemen.
>
> "Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi had said that if Central
> government release one rupee for poor, only 10 paise reaches them. By
> organising such melas I have tried to solve this problem," Modi said.
> Follow us on Twitter for TOI top stories

P. Rajah

Jan 29, 2010, 5:49:23 PM1/29/10
The Link Between Astrology and Prejudice
January 11, 2010

some of them from psychics and astrologers.

I thought a brief examination of the underlying principles of astrology
deserve some consideration. Unlike astrologers, I don�t think that
people should be stereotyped and subjected to prejudice. (I use
prejudice in its original meaning: forming an opinion about a person or
group on the basis of generalizations, assumptions, or stereotypes.)

Yet if you think about it, that�s the basis of astrology. For example,
astrologer Sasha Fenton, author of Astrology for Wimps , writes that
astrology is for �people who want to understand themselves, their
friends, and their loved ones� With no more than a date of birth to go
on, we can see where people are coming from, and how they are likely to
impact our lives� You can apply [astrology] to others who share the same
signs� (p. 9-10).

The basic premise of astrology is that people who were born at certain
times and places share distinguishing personality characteristics.
Libras, for example, are said to be diplomatic, refined, idealistic, and
sociable; Capricorns are responsible, disciplined, hard-working,
demanding, and so on. Tens of millions of people know something about
their sun signs and read their daily horoscopes.

There are some interesting parallels between racism and astrology. For
one thing, in both cases a person is being judged by factors beyond
their control. Just as a person has no control over his or her race or
skin color, they also have no control over when and where they were
born. In both cases, there is a framework of belief that says, �Without
even meeting or knowing you, I believe something about you: I can
expect this particular sort of behavior or traits (sneakiness, laziness,
arrogance, etc.) from members of this particular group of people (Jews,
blacks, Aries, etc.)�

When an astrologer meets a person and finds out that person�s
astrological sign, she will bring to that experience a pre-existing list
of assumptions (prejudices) about that person�s behavior, personality,
and character. In both cases, the prejudices will cause people to seek
out and confirm their expectations. Racists will look for examples of
anti-social behaviors in the groups they dislike, and astrologers will
look for the personality traits that they believe the person will
exhibit. Since people have complex personalities (all of us are lazy
some of the time, caring at other times, etc.), both racists and
astrologers will find evidence to confirm their beliefs.

Of course there are differences, and astrologers are not racists. But
the belief systems underlying both viewpoints are very similar:
prejudging individuals based on beliefs about a group. Some might ask
what the harm is, if the stereotypes are harmless. Not all stereotypes
are negative; some are positive. Chinese and Japanese, for example, are
often assumed to be good at math; Latin men are said to be good lovers,
black women are strong and sassy; attractive people are seen as more
honest. These prejudices can be just as harmful in creating
expectations. In fact, astrologers cannot explain how a person�s
personality or future could possibly be influenced by the position of
planets and stars at birth. Why would a person be especially creative
and generous just because she happened to come out of her mother�s womb
between July 23 and August 22?

I don�t assume that Blacks are lazy, Arabs are terrorists, Asians are
scholastic geniuses, or Geminis are optimistic non-conformists. I judge
people individually, on who they are as a person, not on what arbitrary
group they belong to. To paraphrase Martin Luther King, Jr., I believe a
person should be judged not by the color of their skin�nor the date and
time of their birth�but by the content of their character. Then again,
I�m a Libra.
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/entry/the_link_between_astrology_and_prejudice/

and/or www.mantra.com/jai

Jan 29, 2010, 8:01:46 PM1/29/10
It follows that the Congress party considers Sonia Maino Gandhi to be uncivilized.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

In article <4b637ca5$0$12434$bbae...@news.suddenlink.net>,
"harmony" <a...@hotmail.com> posted:

> congress calls him uncivilized for writing in italian.
> isn't that racial slur on the italians who write in italian all the time?

Mirza Ghalib

Jan 30, 2010, 12:10:09 AM1/30/10
On Jan 29, 2:49 pm, "P. Rajah" <u...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> The Link Between Astrology and Prejudice
> January 11, 2010
>
> some of them from psychics and astrologers.

(crap deleted)

We hear your verbal diarrhea on astrology and astrologers. But
the subject matter was price rise in India and Sonia Gandhi's
indifference to it. What you got to say on that?

P. Rajah

Jan 30, 2010, 12:14:30 PM1/30/10
Mirza Ghalib wrote:

Do you ever have anything to say about the verbal diarrhea on
Christians, Muslims, etc. that Jay and pradipshit crap out, even when
replying altogether out of context to some post? They both, for example,
put out a huge number of anti-Christian posts yesterday. Do I read a
single reprimand? Occasionally, Mo does ask Jay to reduce the number of
such posts, but other than that, I usually see people fawning to the
xenophobic sentiment nurtured by that fatherless asstrolloger.

That said, I can see that you carry a torch for the BJP, but you seem to
have forgotten 1998, when there was an enormous rise in the price of
food staples, driven by the BJP's repeal of the Essential Commodities
Act, which gave rise to market speculation in staple commodities. This
repeal, almost _immediately_ after the BJP came into power, was payback
to its financial backers, who made enormous profits trading essential
commodities within mere months of the BJP's ascent to power. Profits on
the backs of impoverished Indians, who had to make do with even less
than they could afford before. I see that Mo is expressing his empathy
by suggesting that price rices are an effective way of controlling the
poorest of the population by starving them to death.

The BJP was forced to re-activate the ECA amidst widespread protests at
the 20% food inflation rate. And in 2005, when the UPA government mooted
more stringent controls through the ECA, it was the BJP that opposed it.
Yeah, Modi can talk shit now, but no party has clean hands, no matter
how much their supporters try to scrub them in the public eye.

http://www.patrika.com/news.aspx?id=300797

The Essential Commodities Act was there for a reason, because the poor
lack the ability to weather market speculation on their basic needs.
Toor dal, which is now selling for over Rs. 100 a kilo in most markets,
only fetches the farmer around Rs. 35. Usually, the spread between
farmer prices and retail prices is around 50%. So clearly the farmers
are not the major beneficiaries here- the large traders and speculators are.

Here's an article that puts it all in perspective:
http://www.indiatogether.org/2010/jan/agr-inflation.htm