Saans bahu aur sensex

habshi

Sep 24, 2008, 7:48:57 PM9/24/08
Its a movie which pretty well reflects middle class life in
India - high rise buildings , kitty parties , obsession with the stock
market, more English than Hindi being now spoken.
We have had a surfeit of Punjabi culture and its good to see
Sindhi and Parsees being given prominence and the first Sindhi dance
and song is brief but fantastic.
What is most irritating is the piano music played at sad bits
eg when the mother says her husband ran away for a younger woman.
When our Indian instruments are so good at evoking emotions , why not
use them?

ker...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2008, 11:46:37 PM9/24/08

I do not think these kind of movies reflect middle-class values. These
movies try to pack in as many dysfunctions as possible inside their
characters and story lines. They do not represent average middle class
families. Their aim is to make these dysfunctional socially acceptable
thru humanized characters - so when normal straight characters are
shown, they are dismissed as regressive.