[RAME] [MOD] The Passing of Peter van Aarle

Internet Adult Film Database

Sep 20, 2005, 2:32:56 PM9/20/05
It is with great sadness that I post this.

Peter van Aarle, curator of the Internet Adult Film Database (IAFD) and
co-founder of rec.arts.movies erotica (RAME), passed away on Sunday,
September 18, 2005, after suffering a heart attack at his home in The
Hague, Holland. He was 42. Details of a memorial service are not yet
known. Details will be posted at http://www.iafd.com as they become
known.

Peter started the IAFD "back in 1981/82 when I started watching porn
movies (back then my hometown still had a cinema which showed porn
movies, and only porn movies by the way, and that's where I went)."

The site came on-line in its present incarnation and its present address
in 1999, and he explained his goal for the site in an e-mail: "I
basically want the IAFD to be the definitive porn movie database on the
web. I've spent the past 18 years compiling this data, and I want all of
the credit :-)"

The credit is all his.

The IAFD will continue, in his memory. Volunteers have begun assembling
updates. It will take us a little time to ramp up and try to fill the
void left by Peter, but we promise to do our best.

--
Internet Adult Film Database Staff
ia...@rame.net

Spaceman J

Sep 20, 2005, 5:37:56 PM9/20/05

"Internet Adult Film Database" <ia...@rame.net> wrote in message

> It is with great sadness that I post this.

{snip}

And it is with great sadness that we read this.

I only met Peter a few times at ECVS, but each time I saw him he was very warm
to Spacewoman and me.

At least now Jeebus won't have to poke around the Heavenly Porn Store for two
hours looking for just the right flick...he'll have a great resource with him.

RIP, Peter.

Spaceman J

Nas...@rame.net

Sep 20, 2005, 5:30:01 PM9/20/05
On 20 Sep 2005 17:40:02 GMT, Internet Adult Film Database
<ia...@rame.net> wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Despite our past differences and my hatred of moderation aka
censorship, I am truly sorry about the death of your friend. I knew
Peter was the founder of the IAFD , but I thought you were the guy who
did the majority of the work in updating and maintaining the database.
I don't care much about the new movies , but hopefully the Golden Age
movie information will remain .

I saw Peter's web page in the 90's. He was a big fan of Golden Age
porn. Perhaps , you can put up some sort of a link to his old web page
in honor of him. I don't know what the URL was , but the page is
probably in the web archives.

Jim Gunn

Sep 20, 2005, 6:20:01 PM9/20/05
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:32:56 CST, Internet Adult Film Database
<ia...@rame.net> wrote:

>It is with great sadness that I post this.
>
>Peter van Aarle, curator of the Internet Adult Film Database (IAFD) and
>co-founder of rec.arts.movies erotica (RAME), passed away on Sunday,
>September 18, 2005, after suffering a heart attack at his home in The
>Hague, Holland. He was 42. Details of a memorial service are not yet
>known. Details will be posted at http://www.iafd.com as they become
>known.

Wow, a heart attack at only 42 years of age? That is really sad. I
wonder if he had health problems previously, because he wasn't
overweight or into bad habits other than smoking cigarettes perhaps as
far as I know. Peter was a nice guy, he will be missed.

Nomen Nescio

Sep 20, 2005, 7:50:18 PM9/20/05

> It is with great sadness that I post this.

I never knew much about Peter van Aarle but had several friendly e-mails before there was spam, back when RAME was ASM and anon.penet.fi still existed. He was always friendly and helpful and knew the answer to almost every obscure question I had, usually about the Golden Age.

I had no idea that he was such a young guy. What a shame.

I also had no idea -- and still have no idea -- if he was just a major Fan or was connected to the business somehow. In one of my e-mails, I asked him 'How do you know all this stuff? Do you work in a porn shop or something?' but he only replied with a smiley :-) .

I extend my sympathy to his family and friends.

Desktop

Sep 20, 2005, 11:00:01 PM9/20/05
R.I.P. Peter and thanks.

AA456

Sep 21, 2005, 12:06:21 AM9/21/05

Good evening,

I've been away from my computer for the last few weeks while on
work related travel and this news is a real shock. I've been
regularly corresponding with Peter trading information to help him
update the IAFD. Like a lot of older-timers, a lot of my viewing
goes back to the days when most cities and towns had theaters (and
peep shows) where you could go and watch the latest X-rated film.

Goodbye Old Friend - may we meet again soon....

AA456

Internet Adult Film Database Staff

Sep 21, 2005, 12:20:35 AM9/21/05
Nas...@rame.net wrote in news:f3t0j157qpuegak6m...@4ax.com:

> Despite our past differences and my hatred of moderation aka
> censorship, I am truly sorry about the death of your friend.

Thanks.

> I knew
> Peter was the founder of the IAFD , but I thought you were the guy who
> did the majority of the work in updating and maintaining the database.

I do the web programming, some updates and corrections and physcial
maintenance of the SQL Server, but Peter did all the monthly updates. When
we'd suddenly add 500+ movies, it's because Peter sat there that month and
keypunched them all in.

So not only did we lose a great guy and a great resource, we lost a helluva
data entry department...

> I don't care much about the new movies , but hopefully the Golden Age
> movie information will remain .

The site's not going away. We're going to keep updating it, hopefully
we'll get to place before long where we're on as much of a schedule we were
on when Peter was running the data end.

> I saw Peter's web page in the 90's. He was a big fan of Golden Age
> porn. Perhaps , you can put up some sort of a link to his old web page
> in honor of him. I don't know what the URL was , but the page is
> probably in the web archives.

It's still up (and not going anywhere either) at http://www.rame.net/aarle

Bests,

Internet Adult Film Database Staff

Sep 21, 2005, 1:26:29 AM9/21/05
Jim Gunn <Jim_...@Yahoo.com> wrote in

> Wow, a heart attack at only 42 years of age? That is really sad. I
> wonder if he had health problems previously, because he wasn't
> overweight or into bad habits other than smoking cigarettes perhaps as
> far as I know. Peter was a nice guy, he will be missed.

I wasn't aware of any ailments beyond his carpal-tunnel which would flare
up from time to time, tho he had it under control recently.

He never smoked, and he would rarely drink -- he'd pnly grudingly accept
one of our crummy American beers. :)

Internet Adult Film Database Staff

Sep 21, 2005, 1:24:50 AM9/21/05
Nomen Nescio <nob...@dizum.com> wrote in

> I also had no idea -- and still have no idea -- if he was just a major
> Fan or was connected to the business somehow. In one of my e-mails, I
> asked him 'How do you know all this stuff? Do you work in a porn shop
> or something?' but he only replied with a smiley :-) .

Well, now the truth can be told. :-)

Peter was the industry's biggest fan, he wasn't involved in it in any real
way beyond being really really knowledgable about its history and its
participants.

He would travel from Europe twice a year to visit ECVS and CES/AEE and snap
more photos than you could imagine. He was as low key a guy as you'd ever
meet, with a really dry sense of humor.

It'll be odd walking around Vegas this year without him.

Internet Adult Film Database Staff

Sep 21, 2005, 1:20:55 AM9/21/05
AA456 <aa...@hay-net.net> wrote in news:4330CE1F...@hay-net.net:

> I've been away from my computer for the last few weeks while on
> work related travel and this news is a real shock. I've been
> regularly corresponding with Peter trading information to help him
> update the IAFD.

We invite you to keep sending updates to ia...@rame.net; we'll queue them up
and get to them, we promise! :-)

CD Man

Sep 21, 2005, 6:28:25 AM9/21/05

"Internet Adult Film Database" <ia...@rame.net> wrote in message

> It is with great sadness that I post this.
>
> Peter van Aarle, curator of the Internet Adult Film Database (IAFD) and
> co-founder of rec.arts.movies erotica (RAME), passed away on Sunday,
> September 18, 2005, after suffering a heart attack at his home in The
> Hague, Holland. He was 42. Details of a memorial service are not yet
> known. Details will be posted at http://www.iafd.com as they become
> known.

Bloody Hell, I didn't realise he was so young. I didn't know him personally,
but his posts were always well thought out and contructive. Definitely one
of the good guys.

> The site came on-line in its present incarnation and its present address
> in 1999, and he explained his goal for the site in an e-mail: "I
> basically want the IAFD to be the definitive porn movie database on the
> web. I've spent the past 18 years compiling this data, and I want all of
> the credit :-)"

The IAFD is a brilliant independant resource. Long may it continue....

RIP

You can find Peter's classic mini reviews here-
http://www.rame.net/aarle/golden_age.html

-Si

paul c

Sep 21, 2005, 7:56:41 PM9/21/05

Cant say I knew Peter but as a part of rame in it's glory days
he was a major contributor and seemed like a real nice guy. Too bad.
Forty two is way too young to go. My heartfelt sympathies to his
family.

arch