X-Files FTF -- Dallas has moved!

Louann Miller

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

Saw X-Files on Friday, and as a Dallas resident I was
surprised to see how much the city has changed since Mulder
and Scully came to town. Apparently the central business
district has been picked up in one piece, like a chunk of
cookie dough, and plopped down somewhere near Phoenix,
Arizona. There's no other way to account for:

(1) the unnamed subdivision which sits out in a tumbleweed-
strewn desert with a beautiful view of the south end of
downtown. This subdivision must be directly south of the
center of town, because Reunion Tower (the Dallas Phallus)
which is on the west end of downtown is visible at the left.
The area directly south of Dallas for at least 100 miles is
fertile farmland, much of it in the flood plain of the
Trinity River and tributaries. Low rolling hills, much of it
heavily wooded. Even the driest areas are covered with
mesquite, which is a real bitch to walk around in but which
looks nicely tree-like from a distance.

(2) the sudden disappearance of Las Colinas, the
Telecommunications Corridor, and other areas of tall
buildings outside the center of town. Dallas' central
business district is so dead it's practically buried;
they've been building skyscrapers elsewhere in town for
thirty years, and the unnamed subdivision (see 1.) should
have had a great view of those as well.

(3) the sudden appearance of a major mountain range. Mulder
and Scully drive out from Dallas across flat near-desert
plain and reach a mountain range in a single night. The
easiest way they could do this would be to head for Amarillo
or Lubbock. Call it 500 miles in a straight line, one
way, without a whimper or a bathroom break. If the "drive
the 48 contiguous states in a week" contest starts up again,
I want them on my team.

Louann "The Neanderthal features on the Paleoindians were
fun, too" Miller

--
Our ISP is cyberramp.net -- you know the routine...

For media based fan fiction check out
http://www.cyberramp.net/~millers/

John Harkness

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

Louann Miller wrote:

> Saw X-Files on Friday, and as a Dallas resident I was
> surprised to see how much the city has changed since Mulder
> and Scully came to town. Apparently the central business
> district has been picked up in one piece, like a chunk of
> cookie dough, and plopped down somewhere near Phoenix,
> Arizona. There's no other way to account for:

SNIP some geographical depredations visited on the home of "America's
Team of Predicate Felons" by the makers of The X-Files movie.

Consider yourself lucky. You don't live in Toronto, which turns up in
movies as every city BUT Toronto.

My favorite recent one was in the Jean-Claude Van Damme twin movie, the
one Ringo Lam directed, where Van Damme and Natasha Henstridge are being
chase across the rooftops of New York's Times Square area, come down
through some building and wind up on Toronto's Yonge Street. You want to
hear laughter in a theatre?

John

Brian John Wright

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

You know, if this movie is to be believed, downtown
Dallas is a dead ringer for downtown Calgary. Just a little
taller and more sparse.

We've even got our equivalent of the (ahem) Dallas
Phallus on the south edge of downtown, just a little apart
from the rest of the buildings.

--

-Brian J. Wright

"There's a fine line between clever and stupid."
-Spinal Tap

http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/3957/brian.html

Fred G. Sanford

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

Louann Miller wrote:

Saw X-Files on Friday, and as a Dallas resident I was
surprised to see how much the city has changed since Mulder
and Scully came to town. Apparently the central business
district has been picked up in one piece, like a chunk of
cookie dough, and plopped down somewhere near Phoenix,
Arizona. There's no other way to account for:

(1) the unnamed subdivision which sits out in a tumbleweed-

  Newsflash: the crew couldn't and didn't film in Dallas. Got it?

Plain and Simple Cronan

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

John Harkness wrote

>Consider yourself lucky. You don't live in Toronto, which turns up in
>movies as every city BUT Toronto.

Go to Wilmington, North Carolina sometime. It's near where I live and I
can tell you that in every other building explosion I see the same damn
buildings in the background... It freaks me out...

<snipped>

Allan Tooley

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

My favorite "moving city:"

In "Rumble in the Bronx," Jackie Chan's fighting the bad guys on top of a
building, presumably in The Bronx. It's a wide shot, in the background of
which you can see the very tall snow-capped mountains of New Jersey. Or is
it British Columbia?

--
Allan Tooley
http://www.mcn.net/~atooley/index.html

My no-spam address is atooley(at)mcn(dot)net

David Homerick

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

Louann Miller wrote:

> Saw X-Files on Friday, and as a Dallas resident I was
> surprised to see how much the city has changed since Mulder
> and Scully came to town. Apparently the central business
> district has been picked up in one piece, like a chunk of
> cookie dough, and plopped down somewhere near Phoenix,
> Arizona.

It's them damn aliens again.

-- David

Louann Miller

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

In article <35900866...@SPAM.yahoo.com>,
tra...@SPAM.yahoo.com says...

> Louann Miller wrote:

> > Saw X-Files on Friday, and as a Dallas resident I was
> > surprised to see how much the city has changed since Mulder
> > and Scully came to town. Apparently the central business
> > district has been picked up in one piece, like a chunk of
> > cookie dough, and plopped down somewhere near Phoenix,

> > Arizona. There's no other way to account for:

> Newsflash: the crew couldn't and didn't film in Dallas. Got it?

My critique was not that they didn't film in Dallas but that
they couldn't fake it better. They took a fairly well-known
city and made geographic blunders as idiotic as giving
Chicago a salt-water port. Got it?

Hamilton

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

In article <MPG.ffc24fa4...@newshost.cyberramp.net>,
mil...@spamoff.net (Louann Miller) wrote:

> In article <35900866...@SPAM.yahoo.com>,
> tra...@SPAM.yahoo.com says...
>
> > Louann Miller wrote:
>
> > > Saw X-Files on Friday, and as a Dallas resident I was
> > > surprised to see how much the city has changed since Mulder
> > > and Scully came to town. Apparently the central business
> > > district has been picked up in one piece, like a chunk of
> > > cookie dough, and plopped down somewhere near Phoenix,
> > > Arizona. There's no other way to account for:
>
> > Newsflash: the crew couldn't and didn't film in Dallas. Got it?
>
> My critique was not that they didn't film in Dallas but that
> they couldn't fake it better. They took a fairly well-known
> city and made geographic blunders as idiotic as giving
> Chicago a salt-water port. Got it?

Like who gives a rat's ass about Dallas? Got it?

Fred G. Sanford

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

Louann Miller wrote:

> In article <35900866...@SPAM.yahoo.com>,
> tra...@SPAM.yahoo.com says...
>
> > Louann Miller wrote:
>
> > > Saw X-Files on Friday, and as a Dallas resident I was
> > > surprised to see how much the city has changed since Mulder
> > > and Scully came to town. Apparently the central business
> > > district has been picked up in one piece, like a chunk of
> > > cookie dough, and plopped down somewhere near Phoenix,
> > > Arizona. There's no other way to account for:
>
> > Newsflash: the crew couldn't and didn't film in Dallas. Got it?
>
> My critique was not that they didn't film in Dallas but that
> they couldn't fake it better. They took a fairly well-known
> city and made geographic blunders as idiotic as giving
> Chicago a salt-water port. Got it?

No one gives two shits about Dallas. Deal.

Mike Sutton

Jun 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/26/98

Louann Miller <mil...@spamoff.net> wrote:

>(1) the unnamed subdivision which sits out in a tumbleweed-
>strewn desert with a beautiful view of the south end of
>downtown.

That 'subdivision' is not supposed to be part of Dallas. It's simply
somewhere in "northern Texas" according to the handy little place/date
indicators that are always at the beginning of any X-Files scene which
changes location from the previous scene.

Mike

Supermick

Jun 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/26/98
to Fred G. Sanford

Excuse me, but they did film the downtown scenes in Dallas. I was an
extra on the film.

As for the rest of the scenes, the drive to the desert and the mountains
is kind of a stretch.