OT: Gore, Hungry for Power (Wash Post)

1 view

kwaj...@my-deja.com

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
Gore, Hungry for Power

By George F. Will
Sunday, November 12, 2000; Page B07

So the Clinton-Gore era culminates with an election as stained as the
blue dress, a Democratic chorus complaining that the Constitution
should not be the controlling legal authority, and Clinton's understudy
dispatching lawyers to litigate this: "It depends on what the meaning
of 'vote' is."

The mendacity of Al Gore's preelection campaign is pertinent to the
postelection chaos. He ran with gale-force economic winds at his back
and with a powerful media bias pulling him along. (Even on Election
Night: by calling Florida for Gore before all Floridians had voted, the
networks almost certainly hurt Republican turnout in Florida and out
west.) Yet Gore probably lost. Why? Consider his political ethics,
which flow from his corrupting hunger for power.

He staggered Bill Bradley in an Iowa debate by asking why Bradley voted
against flood relief for Iowa. Bradley voted for $4.8 billion of
relief, and opposed--as did the Clinton-Gore administration--only an
amendment to add $900 million. When Gore made a false claim about
traveling to Texas to inspect disaster damage with the head of federal
emergency services, his heap of fabrications reached critical mass,
triggering ridicule and draining credibility. He is, strictly speaking,
unbelievable.

His serial mendacity should be remembered during his seamless
postelection transition to desperately seeking lawyering strategies and
a friendly court to hand him the presidential election. Gore is the
distilled essence of contemporary liberalism, which enjoys imposing its
will--about abortion, racial preferences, capital punishment, tobacco,
firearms, etc.--through litigation rather than legislation.
Liberalism's fondness for judicial fiat rather than democratic decision-
making explains the entwinement of the Democratic Party and trial
lawyers.

Election Day saw Democrats briefly succeed in changing the rules during
the game in Missouri: Their lawyers found a friendly court to order St.
Louis polls to stay open three hours past the lawful 7 p.m. closing
time. Fortunately, a higher court soon reimposed legality on the
Democrats and ordered the polls closed at 7:45. Now in Florida,
Democrats want to change the rules after the game.

The Democratic Party dotes on victims, but what, exactly, victimized
those 19,000 Palm Beach County voters who, as almost 15,000 in the
county did in 1996, botched their ballots by punching two candidates
for president? It is absurd to say it is "unfair" to do what the law
requires--disallow improperly marked ballots. And it is sinister when
Democratic voters, after leaving polling places where they could have
asked for guidance or fresh ballots, suddenly "remember" that they
might have misread their "butterfly" ballots.

Those ballots have the punch holes down the center and the candidates'
names on the "wings." Gore campaign chairman William Daley, of the
famously fastidious Cook County Daleys, says such ballots are
indefensible--at least he said that until chief Bush strategist Karl
Rove displayed a Cook County butterfly ballot. The Palm Beach ballots
were designed by a Democrat and approved by a process that included
Democrats, and sample ballots were published in newspapers and mailed
to voters--all without eliciting pre-election complaints.

Will instances, real or claimed, of incompetent voting with these
ballots (Gore's hired semanticists call this "disenfranchisement")
invalidate a presidential election? Not likely. The leading Florida
case on confusing ballots holds: Confusion about a ballot will not void
an election if the voter, taking "the degree of care commensurate with
the solemnity of the occasion," can find the right name. The vast
majority of Palm Beach voters could. Unless Florida's Supreme Court,
which has approvingly cited this case in other rulings, overturns it,
the "confused voter" claims are baseless.

By Nov. 17, Florida's absentee ballots--with a large military, hence
Republican, component--will have been counted, probably sealing Bush's
win there. By then, millions of as yet uncounted absentee ballots in
California and elsewhere may have made Bush the popular vote winner
nationally. Even so, Gore operatives probably will still toil to
delegitimize the election. Their actions demolish the presidential
pretensions of the dangerous man for whom they do their reckless work.

Jesse Jackson, the Democrats' rented ranter, would not have taken his
magical mischief tour to Florida, there to excite a sense of
victimization, if his party opposed that. All that remains to complete
the squalor of Gore's attempted coup d'etat is some improvisation by
Janet Reno, whose last Florida intervention involved a lawless SWAT
team seizing a 6-year-old. She says there is no federal role, but watch
for a "civil rights" claim on behalf of some protected minority or some
other conjured pretext. Remember, Reno is, strictly speaking,
unbelievable, and these things will continue until these people are
gone.

© 2000 The Washington Post Company

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Idontwantoknow

Nov 12, 2000, 10:51:49 PM11/12/00
Wow...George Will not liking Al Gore.

Shocking.

I love people who post editorials...it's a joke. An editorial is one person's
opinion...we're all supposed to go, "Oh, George Will thinks Al Gore's a dick.
He's a pretty smart guy. He must be right."

I just don't understand what the point is. Maybe it's just people who can't
express their own opinions, and have to find somebody who can. George Will is a
smart guy, and I respect him...so do a lot of other people. But bottom line,
it's his opinion, and nothing more.

Alan

THun528570

Nov 12, 2000, 11:07:19 PM11/12/00
To quote a great American Philosopher:
"You can't handle the truth" Alan.

Tom

Sharcast2

Nov 12, 2000, 11:13:55 PM11/12/00
>From: idontwantoknow

Not only that.. but I was alway under the impression that the Washington Post
was on the conservative side..

That post explains alot!

Sharon

Chuck Meyette

Nov 12, 2000, 11:27:07 PM11/12/00

"Idontwantoknow" <idontwa...@gateway.net> wrote in message

He IS smart, and he IS right.

Al Gore is SUCH a dick, they had to tone it down on the cover of Rolling
Stone.

Just MY opinion...nothing more.

Chuck

Dan Scerpella

Nov 12, 2000, 11:43:22 PM11/12/00
>Not only that.. but I was alway under the impression that the Washington Post
>was on the conservative side..
>
>That post explains alot!
>
>Sharon

Err is that the Washington Post of Woodward and Bernstein thats conservative?

What's the point of having an opinion if you're not going to
cram it down Sharon's throat?

Sharcast2

Nov 12, 2000, 11:48:26 PM11/12/00
>From: dans...@aol.com (Dan Scerpella)

Err.. Do they still work there? I didn't think I was talking about the 70's..
Are they still there?

And thanks but no thanks for cramming.. not interested.

Sharon

PS: You can try with Stuart again though!

The Central Scrutinizer

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
In article <20001112234322...@ng-mh1.aol.com>,

dans...@aol.com (Dan Scerpella) wrote:

> Err is that the Washington Post of Woodward and Bernstein thats
conservative?

Compared to the Nation and Mother Jones, yes.

Maybe she was thinking of the Washingtom Times.

--
James A. Chappell http://www.amon-hen.com/jac

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it,
doesn't go away."
-- Philip K. Dick

THun528570

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
Not making a mistake, just using that for effect. Fact is, you can't argue with
anything in that article as false. Fact is, it is all true.

Tom

sbur...@hotmail.com

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
In article <20001113072132...@ng-fk1.aol.com>,

The whole Democratic party has been Clintonized. Meaning that they will
change the meaning of anything to let them win.

--
- Steve Burstall

Junius, Aprilis, Septémq; Nouemq; tricenos,
Vnum plus reliqui, Februs tenet octo vicenos,
At si bissextus fuerit superadditur vnus.
William Harrison: Description of
Britain (prefixed to Holinshed's "Chronicle," 1577).

Idontwantoknow

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
>Not making a mistake, just using that for effect. Fact is, you can't argue
>with
>anything in that article as false. Fact is, it is all true.

It's not an article. It's an EDITORIAL. Learn the difference. An article
expresses facts and information, while an editorial gives one person's
interpretation and opinion on those facts. Truth does not enter the equation.

Alan

>Tom

Idontwantoknow

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
>He IS smart, and he IS right.
>
>Al Gore is SUCH a dick, they had to tone it down on the cover of Rolling
>Stone.
>
>Just MY opinion...nothing more.

It's funny how polarizing this issue really is. Lately George Will has become
almost moderate...but this election is a political civil war. No matter how
moderate someone is, they lean to one side or the other, and sometimes an issue
like this one is the only way to find out which it is. Bottom line, the two
guys are standing on opposing hilltops waving their flags and issuing the
rallying cry. Meanwhile the valley in the middle is rapidly becoming deserted
;)

Alan

Kristian Mark Twombly

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
THun528570 <thun5...@aol.com> wrote:
: Not making a mistake, just using that for effect. Fact is, you can't

: argue with anything in that article as false. Fact is, it is all true.

If you have been reading Will's "articles" recently, you would see a lot
of inconsistancies, even when compared to less biased reporting *in the
same paper/magazine*.

Actually, I understood that the 15,000 votes in 1996 were thrown out for a
variety of reasons, including double punching, no vote, "hanging chads",
etc. The 19,000 votes thrown out in 2000 were only in one category. CNN
reported on Saturday that the actual total in 1996 was much lower than
15,000 in 1996, comparitively.

Truth? Call it spin. Just like Baker's claim that there were no
standards in determining "intent." Not one hour later CNN reported that
Palm Beach County had put the "1990 standards" into effect. Who is
telling the truth here?

The Republicans claim that the Dems have sent this into the courts with
all of the laywers. First lawsuit brought by either party? Today's
attempt at blocking the hand recount, a lawfully requested and enacted
count. The Republicans missed the 72 hour deadline for requesting a
recount and chose the only method available to them to cling to their
lead. Why contest a LAWFUL action unless you are afraid to lose?

IMHO,
KT

Spectra

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00

In article <8upke4$gc3$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Spectra <spect...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> They call Gore the most powerfull vice president, but I had no idea
> how powerful that Gore had already become until I witnessed the
> fiasco that the Americans call a Democratic election. One of the most
> glaring things, what should have been obvious to anyone in America,
> was that Al Gore was the big media candidate. Time after time, big
> media, including the major magazines, newspapers, Hollywood and the
> three major television networks bent over backwards to coddle and
> cooperate with Gore in all of his dirty tricks. In one incidence, the
> major networks were caught in a synchronized act that turned the
popular
> vote on the West coast for Gore. Many Bush supporters were just so
> fed up by the stupidity of the American population, dumbed down by
> Big Media to please big corp and big gov, that they would at all vote
> for someone who was so obviously and so visibly corrupted by his
> own power even before he gets in office, they were so discouraged by
> this that they went home in disgust and depression after the media
> falsely announced that Gore had won prior to the closing of the
booths.

> Analysis based on mathematics shows that Gores current tactics, of
> increasing the accuracy of the Florida votes if and only if Bush has
> won the last tally, is infact statisticly and mathematically invalid
> on several levels. Yet the media has somehow managed to censor out
> the flood of statistics experts, or social scientists, or
mathematicians
> that will gladly lead the American ignorant to understand the
> basics of math and probability to explain this. Reason, or logic
> has been conveniently censored out of media, which is obviously a
> deliberate act, based on the given number of experts in America that
> are being excluded from voicing the reality as it stands in the world
> of solid rigor. Once again, Al Gore shows his control, as the
democrats
> enlist media to focus on a group of voters who claim to be so inept
> that they can't read a ballot clear to the average eight year old.
>
> Why did Americans allow this Gore to gain the power that he has.
> Obviously, since media has continued to cooperate with Gore as he
> takes very effective means of slanting the election results in his
> favor, then Gore is going to win the election, based of course on
> the power of Gore, and the endless dirty corruption of his campaign.
> Any body can see that if you let Gore the chosen one effectivelty
> slant the election, if the elite are going to coddle Gore in his
> every method of misinformation, propaganda lies and spin, then Gore
> barring a miricle, by the laws of probability, win the election.
>
> But what is there to say for America now, if their system has now
> yielded to corruption? And Gore thinks that since he has such near
> limitless power as vice president, that he will have far more as
> president. But the campaign of Gore has been an attrocity. All the
> world has watched and they have seen what Gore has done, at the
> expense of the US democracy, and even at risk of the US and world
> economy. Gore will continue the ways of legendary liar Clinton,
> the Clinton who spins polls and spins media to make it sound like
> he is so popular, while he never allows the big media to reveal the
> fact that some polls world wide cite Clinton as one of the most hated
> men on the planet. Gore will steal the presidency, thru power and
> corruption, but he will not understand why he will be followed by
> this Karma, his just desserts, as the reputation of his actions make
> him quickly hated, and quickly erode his stand to nothing but sheer
> impotance. And, given the evil that Gore is in office, an impotent
> Gore will be the very best thing for the world and the country.

THun528570

Nov 13, 2000, 8:04:20 PM11/13/00
As is the case with most things liberal.

Tom

Idontwantoknow

Nov 13, 2000, 8:10:43 PM11/13/00
>As is the case with most things liberal.

If you were an absolute fool, that wouldn't hurt.

Oh wait, you are...

Nevermind ;)

Alan

>Tom

dn...@racc2000.com

Nov 13, 2000, 9:02:06 PM11/13/00
Wow! I can't believe this!!!!!!!!!! Gore hungry for power?????!!!!!!!

He isn't the one arrogant enough to set up a transition team already.
Florida Election results are not official yet....with or without the
hand recounts. There are still the overseas ballots to count and with
3000 of them and only a 388 vote lead...NO ONE Can Declare themselves
the winner yet!!!!!!!

Hand recounts happen all of the time and they are allowed. It is just
this one counts so much. Bush's team is upset as they missed the 72
hour deadline.

Bush's team counted on the election to go the other way with Bush
winning the popular vote and Gore leading in the Electoral College.
They already had planned to challenge the Electoral College Vote as
antiquated. That was 3-4 weeks ago folks.

They both want to win so badly.

I say patience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Levi Boldt

Nov 14, 2000, 12:42:28 AM11/14/00
THun528570 wrote:

> To quote a great American Philosopher:
> "You can't handle the truth"

Jonathan Edwards was a great American philosopher.
Roderick Chisholm is a great American philosopher.
G.E. Moore was a great American philosopher.
William Alston is a great American philosopher.
Bertrand Russell was a great American philosopher.
William James was a great American philosopher.
James Royce was a great American philosopher.
George Santayana was a great American philosopher.
Edmund Gettier was a great American philosopher.
Alvin Plantinga is a great American philosopher.

Jack Nicholson is NOT a great American philosopher.

--
Levi Boldt

"The distinction between the optimist and
the pessimist: an optimist is someone who
says, 'This is the best of all possible
worlds,' and a pessimist is a person who
says, 'You're right.'"
- Joseph Weizenbaum

DRUMAJOR

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
dn...@racc2000.com wrote:

> <snip>

really makes ya wonder...

> He [gore] isn't the one arrogant enough

> to set up a transition team already.

HellooOOoo!

He's the VICE PRESIDENT!

He already HAS a transition team!

Why do you think this weeks vice-pres persona
is a cross between Max Headroom and Bugs Bunny?

The Central Scrutinizer

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
In article <3A10D0C4...@pilot.msu.edu>,

Levi Boldt <bold...@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:
> THun528570 wrote:
>
> > To quote a great American Philosopher:
> > "You can't handle the truth"
>
> Bertrand Russell was a great American philosopher.

Bertrand Russell was British.

Aaron Sorkin probably wrote that line :)

--
James A. Chappell http://www.amon-hen.com/jac

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it,
doesn't go away."
-- Philip K. Dick

THun528570

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
Just think you had to look up all of those Philosophers, to prove a point,
which, proves my point. There are people on here with abbolutely NO sense of
humor.

Tom

THun528570

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
Don't you think it would be a good idea for both to set up cabinets as if they
one the election? There is only two months and a little change before the
transition. Every minute counts in setting up a cabinet.

Tom

THun528570

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
Alan wrote:

It's not an article. It's an EDITORIAL. Learn the difference. An article
expresses facts and information, while an editorial gives one person's
interpretation and opinion on those facts. Truth does not enter the equation.

Face it, your trying to redefine the work instead about talking about the
content of the work. As for the name calling, fine. Keep it up, makes my
arguement I've made about the Libs already.

Tom

Terri Dittrich

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
I don't think he had to look them up. I'm pretty sure Levi is a philosophy
major.

-Terri

"THun528570" <thun5...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Just think you had to look up all of those Philosophers, to prove a point,
> which, proves my point. There are people on here with abbolutely NO sense
of
> humor.
>
> Tom

Idontwantoknow

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
>Face it, your trying to redefine the work instead about talking about the
>content of the work.

Redefine? It wasn't an editorial? Please. You have no idea what the hell you
are talking about.

>As for the name calling, fine. Keep it up, makes my
>arguement I've made about the Libs already.

Oh? So me calling you a fool proves some mysterious point about Liberals? What
about you calling people morons? What does that prove? Hypocrite.

You know, I've been bugged by a faint feeling that you remind me of something,
and now I know what it is. Occasionally when I drive home from work, when
there's nothing good on the music stations, I'll turn on Phil Henry every once
in a while. You remind me of one of the wack jobs who regularly calls in to
scream about Chinese military secrets and is so stupid that he doesn't even
realize the "guest" is Phil, in one of the worst fake voices I've ever heard.

Alan

TAScheck

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
You may be right about Nicholson, but you can't deny that Clint Eastwood is a
great American philosopher -- "A man's got to know his limitations".

Dan Scerpella

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
>I don't think he had to look them up. I'm pretty sure Levi is a philosophy
>major.
>
>-Terri

Hmm, thats why he seems so smart!! Philosophy Majors are brilliant!!

Dan Scerpella
B. A. Philosophy
University of Wisconsin Madison 1979

What's the point of having an opinion if you're not going to

cram it down someone's throat?

IrishMomTX

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00

"DRUMAJOR" wrote in message ...
> > <snip>

> HellooOOoo!
> He's the VICE PRESIDENT!
> He already HAS a transition team!

What???????????????????????????

Just because he's currently Vice President doesn't mean he has a transition
team already in place. Explain why you even think he would????????

B.

Kevin Gamin

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
DRUMAJOR <www.JeffreyCJohnson.c-o-m-@> wrote:

> dn...@racc2000.com wrote:
>
> > <snip>
>
> really makes ya wonder...
>

> > He [gore] isn't the one arrogant enough

> > to set up a transition team already.
>

> HellooOOoo!
>
> He's the VICE PRESIDENT!
>
> He already HAS a transition team!

Why should EITHER candidate wait to set up a transition team right now?
Normally, the victor has already kicked into full gear preparing to
assume the presidency in two months. For a job that important, it's
better to be ready.

--
Kevin "Gadget" Gamin
Toledo Glassmen 1992-1996

kwaj...@my-deja.com

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
In article <20001112225149...@ng-cs1.news.gateway.net>,

idontwa...@gateway.net (Idontwantoknow) wrote:
> Wow...George Will not liking Al Gore.
>
> Shocking.
>
> I love people who post editorials...it's a joke. An editorial is one
person's
> opinion...we're all supposed to go, "Oh, George Will thinks Al Gore's
a dick.
> He's a pretty smart guy. He must be right."
>
> I just don't understand what the point is. Maybe it's just people who
can't
> express their own opinions, and have to find somebody who can. George
Will is a
> smart guy, and I respect him...so do a lot of other people. But
bottom line,
> it's his opinion, and nothing more.
>
> Alan

The nightly news nothing except 30 minutes of left-wing opinion.

John

kwaj...@my-deja.com

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
In article <20001112231355...@ng-fa1.aol.com>,
shar...@aol.comnojunk (Sharcast2) wrote:
> >From: idontwantoknow

> >Wow...George Will not liking Al Gore.
> >
> >Shocking.
> >
> >I love people who post editorials...it's a joke. An editorial is one
person's
> >opinion...we're all supposed to go, "Oh, George Will thinks Al
Gore's a dick.
> >He's a pretty smart guy. He must be right."
> >
> >I just don't understand what the point is. Maybe it's just people
who can't
> >express their own opinions, and have to find somebody who can.
George Will is
> >smart guy, and I respect him...so do a lot of other people. But
bottom line,
> >it's his opinion, and nothing more.
> >
> >Alan
>
> Not only that.. but I was alway under the impression that the
Washington Post
> was on the conservative side..
>
> That post explains alot!
>
> Sharon

The Wash. TIMES is a conservative. The main reason I posted the
article was due to the fact that the Post is a liberal paper. You can
find logic and common sense like that in the DC Times,
worldnetdaily.com, newsmax.com etc.

kwaj...@my-deja.com

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
In article <20001113090946...@ng-cg1.news.gateway.net>,

idontwa...@gateway.net (Idontwantoknow) wrote:
> >Not making a mistake, just using that for effect. Fact is, you can't
argue
> >with
> >anything in that article as false. Fact is, it is all true.
>
> It's not an article. It's an EDITORIAL. Learn the difference. An
article
> expresses facts and information, while an editorial gives one person's
> interpretation and opinion on those facts. Truth does not enter the
equation.

> Alan
>
> >Tom

THERE IS NOTHING FALSE IN THAT ARTICLE!!!

John

kwaj...@my-deja.com

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
In article <20001114082028...@ng-md1.news.gateway.net>,

I'd rather listen to stories about Chinese spies, than listen to a
bleeding heart like you whine about the ozone layer. OHHHH NOOOO!! lol

DRUMAJOR

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
IrishMomTX wrote:

> "DRUMAJOR" wrote in message ...
> > > <snip>

> > HellooOOoo!
> > He's the VICE PRESIDENT!
> > He already HAS a transition team!
>

> What???????????????????????????
>
> Just because he's currently Vice President doesn't
> mean he has a transition team already in place.
> Explain why you even think he would????????

He's already "inside" and "up to speed". The turnover
of personnel won't be nearly as wide spread when the VP
moves up vs a new administration.

Rick Clever

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
>THERE IS NOTHING FALSE IN THAT ARTICLE!!!

THERE IS NOTHING TRUE IN THAT ARTICLE:
IT IS (AND I'LL SAY IT SLOWLY SO MAYBE YOU'LL UNDERSTAND) AN
O.....PIN.....ION.
I f you don't understand the word , they have these things called dictionaries,
use it once in a while.

Levi Boldt

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
THun528570 wrote:

> Just think you had to look up all of those
> Philosophers, to prove a point, which, proves my

> point. There are people on here with absolutely NO
> sense of humor.

No, I didn't have to look them up. I'm a Philosophy/History of Science
major (which also explains the predominance of epistemologists on my
list). I have read or am currently reading books and/or journal articles
by every philosopher I mentioned. I made the list by just quickly
glancing at my bookshelf and articles lying around my desk.

My memory is of course fallible: Russell taught at Cambridge. I also
said Roderick Chisholm "is" a great American philosopher. He died last
year. Had I had bothered to look up all those names, I wouldn't have
made these mistakes.

Anyway, you're probably right about my lack of any discernible sense of
humor. I tend to be pretty anal when people talk about philosophy and
have no idea what they're talking about. It's similar to the reaction
when someone calls drum corps "bands".

Michael Cahill

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00

kwaj...@my-deja.com wrote:

> The nightly news nothing except 30 minutes of left-wing opinion.

Most of which are owned and operated by conservative businessmen.

Nutty paradox, that.

MC

Levi Boldt

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
Sharcast2 wrote:

> Do you think that your journey into philosophy has
> anything to do with your faith?

It has everything to do with it. Given that we are even more off-topic
than normal, I suggest we continue this conversation via email.

THun528570

Nov 14, 2000, 8:46:54 PM11/14/00
That will come in handy when trying to get a mortgage.:)

Tom

Chuck Meyette

Nov 14, 2000, 8:56:36 PM11/14/00

Okay, now that we've covered whether it is an article or an editorial...

What are George Will's opinions based on?

Would George Will have gotten to his position in the news community, if he
blathered about, like ...oh..let's say... a James Carville?

Chuck

Skywnch320970

Nov 14, 2000, 8:57:29 PM11/14/00
>That will come in handy when trying to get a mortgage.:)
>
>Tom

well, i'm sure levi will out earn you some day tom. he has definitely grasped
the concept of individual thinking. you might want to try it sometime, it goes
hand in hand with adulthood.

jan

Idontwantoknow

Nov 14, 2000, 10:08:02 PM11/14/00
>I'd rather listen to stories about Chinese spies, than listen to a
>bleeding heart like you whine about the ozone layer. OHHHH NOOOO!! lol

Have you ever heard me say a damned word about the hole in the ozone layer? I
think not.

And you missed the point anyway...those guys talking about selling secrets to
the Chinese on the Phil Henry show are idiots because they respond to made up
"guests" who are so obviously trolling for responses like theirs.

Alan

Sharcast2

Nov 14, 2000, 10:09:30 PM11/14/00
>From: Levi Boldt

>Anyway, you're probably right about my lack of any discernible sense of
>humor. I tend to be pretty anal when people talk about philosophy and
>have no idea what they're talking about. It's similar to the reaction
>when someone calls drum corps "bands".

Levi,

I think you have a great sense of humor!

Sharon

PS: Even further OT.. And I hate to bring up this subject (as you know) but I
am just really curious..

Idontwantoknow

Nov 14, 2000, 10:12:12 PM11/14/00
>Would George Will have gotten to his position in the news community, if he
>blathered about, like ...oh..let's say... a James Carville?

Well no, as I sincerely doubt George Will could pull it off. George is a very
intelligent person, but it's not like there aren't plenty of intelligent
people who think differently.

All that aside, James Carville is much more entertaining than George Will. His
candor and blatant partisanship are rather amusing, in my opinion. "I'd like to
bury the hatchet *in* Ken Starr, not with him."

heh

Alan

Idontwantoknow

Nov 14, 2000, 10:13:17 PM11/14/00
>The nightly news nothing except 30 minutes of left-wing opinion.

Riiiiight.

And Pat Roberston is the harbinger of truth, right?

Alan

The Central Scrutinizer

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
In article <3A11FC9C...@mindspring.com>,
mca...@mindspring.com wrote:

> kwaj...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > The nightly news nothing except 30 minutes of left-wing opinion.
>
> Most of which are owned and operated by conservative businessmen.
>
> Nutty paradox, that.

It's only a paradox if you buy into the initial premise.

--
James A. Chappell http://www.amon-hen.com/jac

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it,
doesn't go away."
-- Philip K. Dick

W Souder

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
>>The nightly news nothing except 30 minutes of left-wing opinion.
>>

>Riiiiight.
>

>And Pat Roberston is the harbinger of truth, right?

See, the way it works is:
Liberal = Wrong
Conservitive= Right
Anybody who can't see that is obviously an un-American bleeding-heart
commie pinko. ;o)

Pax, Bill Souder l_P

kwaj...@my-deja.com

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
> > The nightly news nothing except 30 minutes of left-wing opinion.
>
> Most of which are owned and operated by conservative businessmen.
>
> Nutty paradox, that.
>
> MC

Kinda like Hollywood? Mike, your statement makes no sense. Your under
the impression that all CEO's all rich, white and conservative. I
believe ABC is owned by Disney. Eisner is a liberal. CNN/Ted
Turner=liberal. Need I go on?

John

kwaj...@my-deja.com

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
In article <20001114221317...@ng-cs1.news.gateway.net>,

I'd believe him before I listen to Bernie Shaw.

kwaj...@my-deja.com

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
In article <20001115160131...@ng-cu1.aol.com>,
> See, the way it works is:
> Liberal = Wrong
> Conservitive= Right
> Anybody who can't see that is obviously an un-American bleeding-
heart
> commie pinko. ;o)
>
> Pax, Bill Souder l_P

Bill, you're catching on. Wow, your going on my Xmas card list.

kwaj...@my-deja.com

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
In article <20001114220802...@ng-cs1.news.gateway.net>,

It's so hot.....O Z ON e iS GO N e LOL!
My dog's medication costs less than mine.
I think I'll join P.E.T.A.
Big Oil is the reason for the high prices, not OPEC.
I have no morals.
I am above the law.
Only white men are racist.
The Constitution is for losers.
God is for losers.
No man can tell me I can't kill my child.
Good evening. This is Peter Jennings reporting from Palm Beach.
Holding your hand out is easier than holding a shovel.
I'm 30 years late for Vietnam, did I miss anything?

You forgot some Alan.

kwaj...@my-deja.com

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
In article <20001114181520...@ng-me1.aol.com>,

Hey Beaver, if we switched names in that article, you'd have a change
of mind.

THun528570

Nov 16, 2000, 8:07:40 PM11/16/00
kwajalein wrote:

It's so hot.....O Z ON e iS GO N e LOL!
My dog's medication costs less than mine.
I think I'll join P.E.T.A.

P.E.T.A. Would that be "People Eating Tasty Animals"?

Tom

W Souder

Nov 16, 2000, 8:52:01 PM11/16/00
>Bill, you're catching on. Wow, your going on my Xmas card list.

ummmm...sarcasm, anyone? By the way, I'm sure you mean "you're".

Pax, Bill Souder l_P

Michael Cahill

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00

kwaj...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Kinda like Hollywood?

Who's talking about Hollywood? You said, and I quote:

==============
:: The nightly news nothing except 30 minutes of left-wing opinion.
===============

All figures from the Federal Election Commission.

--------------------------------
TV/Radio Stations:
2000 Election Cycle donations
http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.asp?Ind=C2100

Total Contributions $4,877,194
Democrats $1,702,678 35%
Republicans $3,160,602 65%

Top Recipients

Candidate Office

1 Bush, George W (R) President $273,152
2 McCain, John (R) - AZ Senate $79,595
3 Gore, Al (D) President $78,325
---------------------------------

---------------------------------
Cable TV
2000 Election Cycle donations
http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.asp?Ind=C2200

Total Contributions: $6,109,726
Democrats: $2,970,572 49%
Republicans: $3,134,386 51%

Top Recipients

Candidate Office

Gore, Al (D) President
$156,075
Bush, George W (R) President $148,340
Clinton, Hillary Rodham (D) - NY Senate $113,350
McCain, John (R) - AZ Senate $100,250

---------------------------------

Question.

Why would an industry which you claim offers

"nothing except 30 minutes of left-wing opinion."

donate 65% and 51% of their money to conservative
Republican candidates?

> Mike, your statement makes no sense.

I'm sure it doesn't to someone who hasn't bothered
to find out for themselves where money goes in elections.

Long story short, you need to spend less time listening
to Rush and more time using your own ears and eyes.

> Your under the impression that all CEO's all rich,
> white and conservative.

I am under the reality that they are all rich, and
largely conservative. I didn't inject race, you did.

> I believe ABC is owned by Disney. Eisner is a liberal.

www.tray.com

-----------------
Michael Eisner: CEO of Disney

McCain: $1000 from Eisner on Feb 16, 2000
Bush: $1000 from Eisner on June 29, 1999
Gore: $1000 from Eisner on Sept. 13, 1999
Hatch: $1000 from Eisner on Feb. 14, 2000
Lazio $1000 from Eisner on Sept 12, 2000
Lieberman: $500 from Eisner in 1993
-----------------

Eisner gave pretty liberally to the Republicans, no?

-----------------
Walt Disney Co. PAC 2000 Election cycle

Total to House Democrats:$82,500
Total to House Republicans:$70,830

Total to Senate Democrats:$18,500
Total to Senate Republicans:$44,241
------------------

Whoops. That must be a mistake.

SURELY the liberal Walt Disney Co. wouldn't have
given 53% of their money to the conservatives
they supposedly bash on ABC News.

> CNN/Ted Turner=liberal. Need I go on?

Yes you do.

Ted is no longer in control of any Turner Network.
Turner sold the farm to Time Warner which was
then bought by AOL.

Please keep up.

---------------------
Time/Warner PAC
[Political Action Committee/ AKA Soft money]

Democrats $172,000
Republicans $138,500
-----------------------

How can they give money to conservatives?
Everyone KNOWS the media is COMPLETELY
biased toward LIBERAL AGENDAS!

Write back when you have something other
than spoon-fed Rushisms to offer.

Regards,

Michael Cahill

Vince Lamb

Nov 18, 2000, 2:20:24 AM11/18/00
to shar...@aol.com
In article <20001112231355...@ng-fa1.aol.com>,
shar...@aol.comnojunk (Sharcast2) wrote:
> Not only that.. but I was alway under the impression that the
Washington Post
> was on the conservative side..

<snip>

That reminds me of this list I heard on the Tom Mundt Show on
NPR/Michigan Radio.

The Wall Street Journal is read by the people who run the country.

The Washington Post is read by the people who think they run the
country.

The New York Times is read by the people who want to run the country.

USA Today is read by the people who want to run the country but don't
understand the New York Times.

The Los Angeles Times is read by people who wouldn't mind running the
country if they could find the time.

The Boston Globe is read by people whose fathers ran the country.

The New York Post is read by people who don't care who runs the
country, so long as they produce scandalous stories to read.

The Miami Herald is read by people who run other countries.

> Sharon

Vince

Rick Clever

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00
>Hey Beaver, if we switched names in that article, you'd have a change
>of mind.
>
>John

Beaver ha,ha, ha I haven't heard that one since junior high, let me know when
you graduate.
Next time you change your mind get one that works. And put down that potato. I
know it's cold and lonely in Idaho but that's just not natural.

kwaj...@my-deja.com

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00
In article <20001118145232...@ng-ca1.aol.com>,

I'm in Idaho...Ohhhh, you got me. You must have been tormented at the
playground. I'm sorry to have conjured up such bad memories. You
didn't, however, respond to the heart of my reply. I guess that makes
me correct again. BTW, I haven't heard a perverted attempt at a joke
like that since jr. high.

John

Rick Clever

Nov 18, 2000, 8:51:14 PM11/18/00
>You
>didn't, however, respond to the heart of my reply. I guess that makes
>me correct again.

The heart of your reply was that were the shoe on the other foot, things would
be different. Maybe, maybe not. I'm pretty sure I can seperate fact from
opinion, not so sure about you though.

All Hail King George II May He Never Reign

Sharcast2

Nov 19, 2000, 12:00:04 AM11/19/00
>From: maestro196

>The heart of your reply was that were the shoe on the other foot, things
>would
>be different. Maybe, maybe not. I'm pretty sure I can seperate fact from
>opinion, not so sure about you though.
>
> All Hail King George II May He Never Reign

Don't worry Rick.. If you reply enough.. he'll get bored and go away.. It
works!

Sharon

Kevin Gamin

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
Over N' Out <over_...@nym.alias.net> wrote:

> The Orange County (CA) Register is read by people who have parakeets.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer is read by people who like polkas.

--
Kevin "Gadget" Gamin
Toledo Glassmen 1992-1996
Empire Statesmen 2000
"Give me all that you've got then crescendo!"

ronho...@my-deja.com

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In article <1ekcdvx.znkbxnu1a0tiN%states...@worldnet.att.net>,

The San Francisco Chronicle is read by people elsewhere in NoCal
because nobody can afford to live anywhere near there!

RON HOUSLEY
Living Elsewhere With
My Brass Monkey