OT: Living In NYC

Geoff Jones

Nov 25, 2002, 9:34:40 PM11/25/02
I thought I would ask my fellow RAMD'ers who live in NYC, or in the
surrounding areas.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a general idea on the cost of living
in NYC. For example, apartment/house rentals and how they vary from burrough
to burrough, gas prices, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Geoff

BSteinhilb

Nov 25, 2002, 10:32:42 PM11/25/02
>I was wondering if anyone could give me a general idea on the cost of living
>in NYC. For example, apartment/house rentals and how they vary from burrough
>to burrough, gas prices, etc...

Apts in NYC are in the $2300 to $3000 range and thats the studio price.
Queens has more affordable sections Astoria, Rego Park, Forrest hills ,
Kew Gardens are all good areas and are about half the price of Manhatten.
Brooklyn also has a similar situation; Brooklyn Height's, Caroll Gardens,
Cobble Hill and Bay Ridge are all great neighborhoods and are in the $1100 to
$2000 range. Also if you listen very carefully you can hear the ghosts of St
Rocco's Cadets and the OLPH Ridgemen or even the OLC Rambler's eminating from
the waterfront.

stein

PS: You may also want to check out Hoboken and Jersey City around the same
as Queens and Bklyn $ wise...... they have their Ghosts too. Gas prices are as
of this date $1.40 reg. to $1.75 High approx.

Kyle J. Bennett

Nov 25, 2002, 10:35:30 PM11/25/02
An arm and a leg a month, so make sure you have lots of kids, lol.
[/sarcasm]
All i know is its better to get a place in north jersey along the Hudson.

--
Kyle J. Bennett
Benn...@tcnj.edu
"Geoff Jones" <ge...@oh-my-heck.com> wrote in message

JJAYBOYD

Nov 25, 2002, 11:14:42 PM11/25/02
Astoria is nice.. and a short 2 stop train ride into NYC...

Gas prices are rather high... regular unleaded near the city can go near the
$1.50 mark... But if you live in the surrounding areas, you can use the trains
and not use that much gasoline...

but overall.. its probably one of THE most expensive places to live..

If youre looking? Look in, of all places, HARLEM. Above like 115th street..
the entire area is going through a MAJOR renovation..... really nice.

Jason

Jeff Ream

Nov 25, 2002, 11:23:44 PM11/25/02
oh God don't tell me you are moving closer to us :)~
Jeff Ream
"I'm the drummer your guard captain warned you about"

GraphRackr

Nov 25, 2002, 11:47:46 PM11/25/02
>For example, apartment/house rentals and how they vary from burrough
>to burrough, gas prices, etc...

Two years ago when my brother was going to dental school at NYU, he had a
studio single in Midtown Manhattan and was paying $1400 a month. Nobody I know
in New York owns a car, it's much easier to ride the train.

Kevin

Glen Hazelwood

Nov 26, 2002, 1:18:23 AM11/26/02
What's wrong, you didn't believe me ya freakin' Canadianese geek?!?!?

Glen Hazelwood

Jeff Ream

Nov 26, 2002, 7:47:35 AM11/26/02
hey he just needed to find oot for himself....you know how he is, he isn't
aboot to go on just one persons word alone eh

TrishDish1002

Nov 26, 2002, 8:36:45 AM11/26/02

Geoff's becoming a Rangers fan, what??? LOL

Jeff Ream

Nov 26, 2002, 8:41:50 AM11/26/02
don't get crazy. he'll still go oot of his way to root for Domi and the gang

>Subject: Re: OT: Living In NYC
>From: trishd...@aol.com (TrishDish1002)
>Date: 11/26/2002 8:36 AM Eastern Standard Time

>Geoff's becoming a Rangers fan, what??? LOL

Liz Duguay

Nov 26, 2002, 10:01:08 AM11/26/02
aawwwww cripes - don't tell me you and i might be neighbors come spring??!!!??

Tom & Karen Peashey

Nov 26, 2002, 10:09:57 AM11/26/02
thanks for the humor Jay... regular unleaded $1.50 in NYC???? really???

in Rochester it's $1.56 to 1.58... what's up with that???

"JJAYBOYD" <jjay...@aol.com> wrote in message

JJAYBOYD

Nov 26, 2002, 10:44:19 AM11/26/02
>in Rochester it's $1.56 to 1.58... what's up with that???

I wish I knew! I just got back from Colorado and New Mexico.. in that area?
Unleaded regular is like $1.20! I would figure that since NY/NJ is RIGHT NEAR
the water where this shit is sailed into our country it would cost more to get
it to the midwest no? and the prices would be the other way around no??

ugh.

Jason

JHuf810870

Nov 26, 2002, 11:11:36 AM11/26/02
heh. this is funny........

jan
lived in kew gardens, and liked it.........

Irish Mom

Nov 26, 2002, 11:12:34 AM11/26/02
It just this week dropped to $1.45 +/- in the Dallas suburbs... and we were
thrilled.
It's been running $1.50 +.
I'll bet you money it's higher in Midland and Houston though... which has
always amazed me considering those two areas are major centers of petroleum
& gasoline production.

"Tom & Karen Peashey" <tpea...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message

Shadow_7

Nov 26, 2002, 11:24:32 AM11/26/02
> It just this week dropped to $1.45 +/- in the Dallas suburbs...
> and we were thrilled. It's been running $1.50 +. I'll bet you
> money it's higher in Midland and Houston though... which
> has always amazed me considering those two areas are
> major centers of petroleum & gasoline production.

It must be an election year.

Chris Mignemi

Nov 26, 2002, 11:34:38 AM11/26/02
Your best bet is Staten Island, Geoff...very inexpensive - a one bedroom
could cost you as low as $750 a month, utilities included. Studios are
cheaper! Short ferry ride to NYC, buses everywhere, and Staten Island has an
above ground train, spanning the borough. Not the most exciting place to live,
but it is affordable, and since the dump closed, it smells alot nicer too!
There's 4 bridges also that take you off the island - 3 to NJ, one to Brooklyn.
Don't move to Jersey - really high car insurance rates - highest in the US -
property taxes are killer too in NJ. I lived on SI for 20 years, and I don't
regret a minute of it. Living there got me into drum corps in the first place,
so it can't be all that bad. Something to check out...

Chris Mignemi
Sunrisers 1994 - 1999
Hawthorne Caballeros 2000, 2001
Sunrisers Mini Corps 2002
2002 Winner, DCA Loudest Baritone Contest...123 Decibels baby!!!!
Hawthorne Caballeros 2003 - Forever

Irish Mom

Nov 26, 2002, 11:36:26 AM11/26/02
Actually, there was a CNN story just this week about the price drops:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/West/11/24/gas.prices/index.html

Kay Eltman

Nov 26, 2002, 12:00:56 PM11/26/02
>thanks for the humor Jay... regular unleaded $1.50 in NYC???? really???
>
>in Rochester it's $1.56 to 1.58... what's up with that???

I don't know what part of NYC Jay gets gas. In Rockland County its almost
$1.70 for regular.

SeupermanBleu

Nov 26, 2002, 12:53:52 PM11/26/02
hell yeah!! gas price in ohio is 1.22!!!!!!!!!!!

fsj6310

Nov 26, 2002, 12:48:57 PM11/26/02
HA! Living on an Island, we pay $1.58 a gallon. 12 miles and a ferry
ride away, I recently paid $1.18. We're held hostage to a dern boat!

jake

Justin H.

Nov 26, 2002, 1:40:51 PM11/26/02
On the calendar, in the box marked 11/26/2002 9:48 AM ^ fsj6310 scratched:

> HA! Living on an Island, we pay $1.58 a gallon. 12 miles and a ferry
> ride away, I recently paid $1.18. We're held hostage to a dern boat!

Where'd you pay that?!? Even on the mainland I pay 1.39 to 1.69
depending on grade.

Justin H.
--
Nyarlathotep casts a spell.

Geoff Jones

Nov 26, 2002, 2:31:50 PM11/26/02
Shut it. I believed you, but thought I would get other opinions! Sheesh!

"Glen Hazelwood" <jth1...@aol.comoutnplay> wrote in message

Geoff Jones

Nov 26, 2002, 2:32:17 PM11/26/02
That's it. Ballet trip is cancelled for you.

"Jeff Ream" <jeffs...@aol.comspamthis> wrote in message

Geoff Jones

Nov 26, 2002, 2:34:19 PM11/26/02
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! That's a good one. I'll stick to supporting a winning team.

"TrishDish1002" <trishd...@aol.com> wrote in message

Geoff Jones

Nov 26, 2002, 2:34:48 PM11/26/02
Now, you know what happens when you assume... :)

"Liz Duguay" <legalea...@aol.com> wrote in message

Geoff Jones

Nov 26, 2002, 2:35:11 PM11/26/02
Thanks, Chris!

And thanks to everyone else for their advice!

Geoff

"Chris Mignemi" <rumpspl...@aol.com> wrote in message

fsj6310

Nov 26, 2002, 3:00:50 PM11/26/02
Arco at Mukilteo Speedway and Harbor Point Road, just south of QFC and
the Burger King. Kind of across from the new Mills Music and just about
at the south end of the Boeing 10,000 runway.

I found it for $1.15 at 526 and Highway 99! Hey....some female horn
player has been missing rehearsals!!! What are you doing...tying her
up?

jake

Justin H.

Nov 26, 2002, 6:00:03 PM11/26/02
On the calendar, in the box marked 11/26/2002 12:00 PM ^ fsj6310 scratched:

> Arco at Mukilteo Speedway and Harbor Point Road, just south of QFC and
> the Burger King. Kind of across from the new Mills Music and just about
> at the south end of the Boeing 10,000 runway.

No wonder. I almost never go that far south. :-)

> I found it for $1.15 at 526 and Highway 99! Hey....some female horn
> player has been missing rehearsals!!! What are you doing...tying her
> up?

No. We finally had a chance to go shopping and get errands done, plus
family stuff was going on. Then we get home around 6 and she checked
her email. "There was a full corps rehearsal today!"

Doh!

JJAYBOYD

Nov 26, 2002, 6:02:23 PM11/26/02
Just bought unleaded gas at the Mobil Station just east of La Guardia on the
Grand Central.... for regular unleaded..

$1.59 a gallon...

Jason

Ed Boxer

Nov 26, 2002, 6:36:50 PM11/26/02
I'll second Staten Island. I've lived here for 20 years, and don't own a car.
I live two blocks from the ferry terminal. The views are incredibile (the
harbor is outside my windows), the apartments are spacious, the rents are great
(most buildings in the neighborhood are under rent control). After 20 years my
rent still hasn't broken a grand and I have 1200 sq. ft.
Ed Boxer

Check out my home page: http://www.geocities.com/~edboxer
My LEGO Creations; A Guide to Opera on CD; Boxing; Drum and Bugle Corps; Key
West

BSteinhilb

Nov 26, 2002, 6:59:59 PM11/26/02
YES! How could I forget Staten Island? The North Shore; St George,
Tomkinsville,and Stapleton. Very affordable and easy access to the city via the
FREE ferry. Chris and Ed are right on here. Also I must add there are many drum
corps ghosts here as well. You will actually see some of them in Danny Blaine's
tavern on Bay St. in Rosebank SINY.

stein

JHuf810870

Nov 26, 2002, 7:41:27 PM11/26/02
jason wrote:

i remember that place! one of the pilots based at jfk and i had flown in from
chicago, to find out that we were flying the same trip out that evening to sfo.
(long story...flew that trip for about 2 years with the same cast of
characters, we became known at jfk at the "a team"). we catch a cab, have just
enough time to get to jfk when our cabbie decides to make a stop to fill his
tank.

i've never heard a pilot swear that much before in my life! we made it in time
for our trip, and the cabbie went down in flames, in the war of words.

wow. the prices at that place used to be waaaaaay out of line.......hmmm, how
times have changed.

thanks for the funny jaunt down memory lane, jason!

jan

Smitty & Kandi Lancaster

Nov 26, 2002, 8:23:27 PM11/26/02
Jan,
I thought it was "crew gardens" for all the airline folks who shared places
there. Daughter shared a four bedroom with 20 other flight attendants when
she first graduated. Note to those that don't get it--all 20 aren't there
at the same time--just fly in/out.
Kandi

"JHuf810870" <jhuf8...@aol.com> wrote in message

JHuf810870

Nov 26, 2002, 9:33:21 PM11/26/02
kandi wrote:

>Jan,
>I thought it was "crew gardens" for all the airline folks who shared places
>there. Daughter shared a four bedroom with 20 other flight attendants when
>she first graduated. Note to those that don't get it--all 20 aren't there
>at the same time--just fly in/out.

that's exactly right! i lived with a family, and was fortunate to only share
the house with 4 other flight attendants. made for some wonderful holidays.
chanukah was a highlight....so was living over the deli!

kew gardens has a few nicknames, not all of them are nice. but crew gardens is
definitely how i remember it!

jan

KZ2

Nov 26, 2002, 11:10:35 PM11/26/02
The entire New York metro Area is a very tough place to live from an expence
point of view...

I have lived all over the country and can say, that this is the most expesive
place I have ever lived, and that includes LA.....

things to think about...
do you need to live in NYC....or would a suburb work?
...what type of work, your hours, family?....life style..have you ever lived in
a city.... what is your comfort level regarding private space....

since moving here I have lived in a number of places...

not to knock Staten Island, but depending on one's life style, and where you
would work etc... comuting from there is like coming from Rockland County.....
it can take froever!!! (Rockland County is way north) and Staten Island is the
Rodney Dangerfield of the NYC metro area...it gets no respect.......

comuting is a MAJOR issue in this neck of the woods...how you get from point a
to b can mean the difference between a good quality of life and HELL

another issue for you to consider...how important is having an automobile to
you?...if you live in the city and you have a car add on another rent for
parking.($1,000 isn't unthinkable and it could be even more...)..on the street
parking is at best an adventure at worst a toture made up by Kafka.......

you do tend to get larger places for better rent the further out you go....the
person who suguested Harlem is right, there are still some wonderful deals
(large prewar buildings!!!) to be found above 121st street... but don't be
fooled... some neighborhoods are still difficult regarding crime...and crime is
up.....another thing to consider...Schools....if you have kids, or are thinking
about kids where you live could mean adding on payments for private
schools...because you wouldn't want your kids going to some (I said SOME) of
the NYC public schools.....

there are some areas in Queens, that you can get some decent rents....once
again we are talking $1,200- $3,000...

Myself I now live on Long Island....rent here is high...but because of where I
live it is a very simple comute into the city....

not all of Long island is a cultural wasteland...(large parts are....!!!) yet
even here there is monthly parking for the comuter lot, a monthly train pass,
and some of the highest taxes in the country.(and a retrun of the vomuter tax
is back on the adgenda...I never thought I would say this...I miss
Rudy...)...but damm I live in a lovely new england type town that is only about
35-45 minutes to peen station door to door...

NJ also has some rent bargins but you have to look at the total quality of life
picture on anywhere you go....
I would suguest you visit, and try it out...each day take a different
"comute"...watch the AM/PM traffic reports...on LI we have one cable channel
that is nothing but traffic reports......
well I worte alot........I hope it isn't too much.....
good luck

Karen

Jeff Ream

Nov 26, 2002, 11:32:39 PM11/26/02
Shermansdale Pa approx 8:45 pm tonight

1.29 a gallon.

Jeff Ream

Nov 26, 2002, 11:33:25 PM11/26/02
he's still a jackass and cheap shot artist.

>Subject: Re: OT: Living In NYC
>From: NanciD nan...@dreamscape.com
>Date: 11/26/2002 11:25 AM Eastern Standard Time
>
>Let's not forget, Tie was also a Binghamton and a NY Ranger!!!!
>
>www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/players/data01/00001391.html
>
>On 26 Nov 2002 13:41:50 GMT, jeffs...@aol.comspamthis (Jeff Ream)
>wrote:
>
>>don't get crazy. he'll still go oot of his way to root for Domi and the gang
>>
>>>Subject: Re: OT: Living In NYC
>>>From: trishd...@aol.com (TrishDish1002)
>>>Date: 11/26/2002 8:36 AM Eastern Standard Time

>>>Geoff's becoming a Rangers fan, what??? LOL

Jeff Ream

Nov 26, 2002, 11:33:59 PM11/26/02
will you get a raise for cost of living going sky high?

>Subject: Re: OT: Living In NYC

>From: "Geoff Jones" ge...@oh-my-heck.com
>Date: 11/26/2002 2:35 PM Eastern Standard Time

Jeff Ream

Nov 26, 2002, 11:34:33 PM11/26/02
no bachelor party invite for you :)

>Subject: Re: OT: Living In NYC
>From: "Geoff Jones" ge...@oh-my-heck.com

>Date: 11/26/2002 2:32 PM Eastern Standard Time

JHuf810870

Nov 26, 2002, 11:42:10 PM11/26/02
>The entire New York metro Area is a very tough place to live from an expence
>point of view...
>
>I have lived all over the country and can say, that this is the most expesive
>place I have ever lived, and that includes LA.....

worst i've experienced (and i've lived all over, too!) has been san francisco.
that was 10 years ago, and there were 4 of us in a two bedroom apartment. i
was still paying $400/mo in foster city.

but then again, it doesn't do justice to the expense of living in london......

jan

Liz Duguay

Nov 26, 2002, 11:59:29 PM11/26/02
jan wrote~

>heh. this is funny........
>

>jan
>lived in kew gardens, and liked it.........

i'm SO sorry.

JHuf810870

Nov 27, 2002, 12:06:07 AM11/27/02
liz wrote:

no, don't be. i had a great time. i had wonderful roommates, i had a great
family to live with (including a dalmation named dolly) and the neighbors were
always looking out for us, too.

all in all, a pretty cool experience.

jan

Glen Hazelwood

Nov 27, 2002, 1:28:52 AM11/27/02
>From: bstei...@aol.com

>Also I must add there are many drum
>corps ghosts here as well. You will actually see some of them in Danny
>Blaine's
>tavern on Bay St. in Rosebank SINY.

You'd also be pretty close to Bobby BellaRosa's "Drum Corps Hall of Fame" in
Red Hook, Brooklyn.
Call me when you get here, bro.

Glen Hazelwood

Siglow

Nov 27, 2002, 1:43:32 AM11/27/02
bstei...@aol.com (BSteinhilb) wrote in message news:<20021126185959...@mb-fe.aol.com>...

Oh, I don't know. Before moving out here to Beaver, Pa. I was living
in Teaneck, N.J. in a 3 1/2 room apartment. Rent controlled,
$650/month which included a parking space in the private parking area
AND a garage. Car insurance wasn't that bad (provided you have a clean
driving record and as for property taxes, yes they are high,
especially in Bergen county but that is determined by township you
live in and whether you own your own home. If you're renting and
living in a rent controlled complex it's not that bad. Express bus to
the City was $2.55 each way (that was 3 years ago, probably higher
now) and the commute was about 30 minutes).

As for Drum Corps, if you're a YEA robot, Cadets of Bergen County have
their headquarters 1 town heading north on Teaneck Road which becomes
Washington Ave in Bergenfield. They are in the Bergenfield Municipal
Building on the 3rd floor, just above the Police station.

Do the names Bergenfield Ravens, Dumont Police Cadets, Dumont
Sundowners, Doremus of Hackensack, Paramus Mountettes strike any
familiar notes with any of you fossils out there?

Siglow

Geoff Jones

Nov 27, 2002, 2:24:01 PM11/27/02
Says the guy with Donald Brashear on his team??

Although, it was quite funny to see him turtle away from Domi on Saturday.
Coward.

Geoff

"Jeff Ream" <jeffs...@aol.comspamthis> wrote in message

Geoff Jones

Nov 27, 2002, 2:26:09 PM11/27/02

"Glen Hazelwood" <jth1...@aol.comoutnplay> wrote in message

You know you will be my first local call in NYC. Well, maybe second after a
pizza delivery joint. Ok, maybe third after I call Scores to get the
schedule. :)

Geoff

Mike D.

Nov 27, 2002, 3:38:48 PM11/27/02
newyork...@attbi.com (Siglow) wrote in message news:<d83892e7.02112...@posting.google.com>...

> Do the names Bergenfield Ravens, Dumont Police Cadets, Dumont
> Sundowners, Doremus of Hackensack, Paramus Mountettes strike any
> familiar notes with any of you fossils out there?
>
> Siglow

How about the Valley Grenadiers and the CW Townsmen?

or the spinoff from the Garfield Plebes, the Epochs.

..or just south of Hackensack the Meadowlarks from Secaucus and then
later the Royal Brigade.

I think I have the Mountettes on record, a Steston D. Richmond
recording of the GSC champs in 68 or 69. They are the flip side of my
corps, the Imperial Guardsmen.

Although, I guess if you are a Mountette alum, the Guardsmen are the
flip side. :-)

Mike

Mike

Glen Hazelwood

Nov 27, 2002, 7:44:45 PM11/27/02
>Ok, maybe third after I call Scores to get the
>schedule. :)

Forget that, bro. Too expensive. We'd drop a months rent there in one night.
We'll talk! ;)

Glen Hazelwood

Jeff Ream

Nov 28, 2002, 12:30:28 AM11/28/02
true...go to the new Scores 2

>Subject: Re: OT: Living In NYC

>From: jth1...@aol.comoutnplay (Glen Hazelwood)
>Date: 11/27/2002 7:44 PM Eastern Standard Time

Jeff Ream

Nov 28, 2002, 12:29:55 AM11/28/02
actually, running from Domi is good...he gets mad and gets himself suspended.

Brashear doesnt hack for heads.

>Subject: Re: OT: Living In NYC

>From: "Geoff Jones" ge...@oh-my-heck.com
>Date: 11/27/2002 2:24 PM Eastern Standard Time

Siglow

Nov 28, 2002, 12:42:44 AM11/28/02
jeffs...@aol.comspamthis (Jeff Ream) wrote in message news:<20021126233239...@mb-ca.aol.com>...

Same in Springdale, Pa. coming home from Steel City's rehearsal at the
Sheetz on Freeport Road.

Siglow

VKGARRY73

Nov 28, 2002, 1:28:31 AM11/28/02
Living in NYC = oxymoron

:>)

VKG

Indecision may or may not be my problem

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

VKGARRY73

Nov 28, 2002, 1:31:05 AM11/28/02
Jake wrote:

>12 miles and a ferry
>ride away, I recently paid $1.18.

Port Townshend? Bremerton?

Siglow

Nov 28, 2002, 6:52:37 AM11/28/02
mda...@ets.org (Mike D.) wrote in message news:<52b29b90.02112...@posting.google.com>...

I guess I missed the C-W Townsmen and the the Plebes when mentioning
Drum Corps with roots in Bergen County, N.J., but the Meadowlarks were
a Hudson County Corps and the Valley Grenadiers were from Passaic
County. I also failed to mention my Junior Corps, the Madonna Fife,
Drum and Bugle Corps from Fort Lee, N.J.

> Mike

Siglow

James R Dockery

Nov 28, 2002, 10:43:03 AM11/28/02
Oakland Rangers, Lakeland Goldenaires (Pompton Lakes), Stardusters (Pompton
Lakes), Monarchs (Wayne), St. Anne's Cadets (Fair Lawn), Our Lady of
Lourdes, Paterson Cadets, Lamplighters, Sterlings (West Milford), etc.,
etc., etc.

"Mike D." <mda...@ets.org> wrote in message
> [...]

Nancy Holgate

Nov 28, 2002, 12:26:06 PM11/28/02
In article <20021126113438...@mb-fe.aol.com>,
rumpspl...@aol.com (Chris Mignemi) wrote:

Hmmmm.
Maybe Bill and I should consider this...
Evan has told us (multiple times) that he wants to live on an "icy
island"...says he's tired of all the sun and sweating.
Any other island suggestions out there?

Nancy

joe exley

Nov 28, 2002, 1:19:15 PM11/28/02
NYC is great place to live!

If you are into the Arts, great food, interesting and diverse people,
great history, being able to do stuff 24/7, NYC is a wonderful place
and has a vibe that is like no other place in the world. It is great
if you love to be in the center of it all.

I live in Harlem (no, not morningside heights, actual Harlem) and it
is wonderful. There are some good rents (relatively speaking) still
available. The trick is to avoid brokers, network and meet people,
and find a place through personal connections. It takes much time,
but can save you thousands upon thousands. Go for non-yuppie
neighborhoods and don't always believe what folks outside say about
this or that neighborhood etc. The best way to tell is to spend some
time there and judge for yourself. Let go of stereotypes.

Expect to pay $1300 - $1500 even for a small studio or 1 bdrm (if you
get lucky), and can easily go over $3K a month for yuppier hoods
(still for a 1 bdrm) BUT, factor in that transportation within the
city will cost you a mere $63 a month (minus cabs etc). You DON'T
have to spend hundreds upon hundreds for car payment, insurance (VERY
HI anywhere in the NE), gas, parking etc – so it balances out.
Only 20% of people in Manhattan own a car.

I take the subway everywhere I go (yes with my tuba in tow), and where
I live has great subway access (most of Manhattan does).

Food is expensive (but good – wonderful markets and restaurants are
everywhere) but not that much more than any of the adjacent suburban
areas. The entire northeast part of the USA is expensive (compared to
the midwest etc), as is the northwest – I believe you get what you pay
for!

As far as outer boroughs go, there are great places in ALL of them
(much good advice in previous posts from folks who know better than
I), but if you get too far out, you will have to have a car and
commuting times/costs can really add up. What you save in rent, you
may have to spend on car issues etc.

If you choose to go the suburban route, get a COMFY car, as your butt
will be in it for a large part of your life! Also, daily train
commutes from Jersey to the city can cost more than $250 a month!
Many folks make Jersey work and love it (great drum corps history
there of course), but if you have to go into the city often, and at
rush hour times, the frustration can get extreme. Same goes for Long
Island.

City life is very different from suburban life (both have pluses and
minues), and takes some getting used to if you have not done it
before, but personally I really dig the city and have done it in both
Chicago and NYC. I guess it depends on what is your thing and what
the "quality" means to you in "quality of life".

Peace,
joe exley

"Geoff Jones" <ge...@oh-my-heck.com> wrote in message news:<y2BE9.1318$cx4.4...@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> I thought I would ask my fellow RAMD'ers who live in NYC, or in the
> surrounding areas.
>
> I was wondering if anyone could give me a general idea on the cost of living
> in NYC. For example, apartment/house rentals and how they vary from burrough
> to burrough, gas prices, etc...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Geoff

Frank Jacobson

Nov 28, 2002, 5:41:33 PM11/28/02
Mukilteo

Mike

Nov 30, 2002, 1:48:21 AM11/30/02

"Siglow" <newyork...@attbi.com> wrote in message

> mda...@ets.org (Mike D.) wrote in message
>
> I guess I missed the C-W Townsmen and the the Plebes when mentioning
> Drum Corps with roots in Bergen County, N.J., but the Meadowlarks were
> a Hudson County Corps ...

true.

> and the Valley Grenadiers were from Passaic
> County.

Oh. I always thought that they were from the Pascack Valley area....and that
it was part of Bergen. My bad.

Mike