If Star had stayed after 1994...

MaureenGreene

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Except for the too true commets on undergraduate spelling, this is the
funniest thing I've seen on RAMD!!!

Nikk Pilato

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98

Call me bored. I've been sitting here grading these reviews,
trying to explain to myself why college kids can't tell the difference
between "its" and "it's," and why they feel the need to use simile when
they really don't know how to use it. It started to really bug me, so I
figured I'll take a break, and with the help of my friend, Oliver Wendell
Jones, I programmed by Banana 2000 PC and ran a program to find out what
would have happened had Star remained a drum corps instead of fleeing, er,
leaving to do Brass Theatre. The results were startling:

In 1994, the Blue Devils would still have won Finals, but only after
coming back from 3rd place at Quarters. The Star of Indiana would have
come in 2nd by one tenth (again), prompting an infuriated Jim Mason to
throttle Wayne Downey on the fifty yard line. A wild melee ensued
involving the members of both Star and Devs, and calm was only re-asserted
by the bad-ass, big-ass drum major from Troopers (man that boy was big!),
who started flinging Dev and Star members left and right.

In 1995, Star performed the music of Frank Zappa, in an effort to tone
down their too-serious image over the last few years. Coming into
Quarterfinals, Star was undefeated, having scored a 98.5 at the show
before Finals Week. However, the Cavaliers roared back to take the title,
edging out Star by one tenth yet again. Corps founder Bill Cook and
Cavalier director Jeff Fiedler were observed throwing yard markers at each
other, finally resorting to an all-out pissing contest that saw the death
of many of the weeds around Rich Stadium in Buffalo. In an effort to
out-do Star's show, Phantom changed their unis from black to white in the
middle of the show, but it still wasn't enough as their program enititled
"Freedom," consisting of Leos Janacek's "Sinfonietta" and Husa's "Music
for Prague 1968" only managed to wrest the high brass title from Star by a
whopping 9.9 to 9.2 margin. Star had been undefeated all season, and had
not cored below a 9.5 the entire summer.

In 1996, Star decided to go another route, performing John Cage's "Four
Minutes Thirty-Three Seconds of Silence," with a drum solo consisting of
Terry Riley's "In C." In the off-season, Star had been one of the most
vociferous proponents of a new judging system that included 10 points for
the guard. In an ironic twist, Phantom and Blue Devils both pass Star on
Finals Night on the strength of their colorguard. Finals scores:

Phantom..........98.4
Blue Devils......98.4
Star of Indiana..98.3

In 1997 Star opted to try something new: Marching naked. Using Star's
considerable bank-roll, they were able to hire the most nubile and
beautiful young ladies, most of them former Playboy and Penthouse models.
Finally, Star's persistence paid off, as they scored an astounding 99.6 on
the strength of their show entitled "Live Nude Girls," consisting of the
music of Phillip Glass and David Bowie. The second place finisher, Velvet
Knights (whose show was entitled "A Night at OJ's") included a guest star
on the sidelines, NFL Denver Bronco QB John ELway participated on the
OJ-themed show by playing a white, slow-moving Bronco.

In 1998, Star found itself unable to top itself after their
whirlwind 1997 campaign, and decided to quit the DCI arena and go into
business making music for pornos.

After the 1998 seaosn, things geta bit hazy, and the computer
program cannot track down exactly what happens, except for one event that
seems to lead to the eventual downfall of the DCI system. The words
"Hopkins" and "woodwinds" are seen briefly, but that is all....

Well, I better get back to grading those papers. Sheesh, if only
these kids could spell, y'all wouldn't have to put up with this... ;)

+++++++++++
Nikk Pilato
Phantom Regiment 1991-1994
Conductor 1994

Cell1jeff

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Then someone would get more hate posts than Empire does.
Jeff

Pandypb

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!! That was awesome! Way to go Nikk for making me laugh the
hardest I have since finals night.

Pete

krus...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Funny Nikk. At least it was more amusing than your self-congratulatory "gee I
saw myself on video" post.

However, as someone who jumps quickly to the defense of any perceived anti-
Phantom post, you might choose to poke fun at your own corps.

Of course maybe I'm just a bit sensitive, but since I had the priviledge of
leading two terrific corps onto the field only to see them leave the activity,
I think I have the right to defend my corps at least as vociferously as you
do. Frankly I'm tired of all the Star "what if" threads, even the ones
intending to be humorous. If you had to read half the negative crap about
Phantom that every Star alum reads here daily, you'd have a full-time job
countering every derogatory post.

You spoke about being passiontate about your corps recently, and I think we
all respect that. But remember, Star didn't exist simply as an entity.
There were hundreds of people attached to the success of the corps, and most
of us busted our asses to create and sustain a wonderful organization. To
watch Star leave DCI because of the decision of a few people was painful to
most of us.

In my particular case, after the Bridgemen clearly were not going to survive,
I had the opportunity to go to any number of established corps. But I chose
Star, because I believed in Bill Cook's vision. After years of spending more
time raising funds than practicing, not eating on tour, and working with
terrible equipment, I knew corporate sponsorship was a step in the right
direction. I wanted the opportunity to work with an individual who wanted to
extend this terrific activity to an area rich in musical talent that didn't
have a corps of their own. But I didn't take this risk to see the corps
disbanded and re-established as Brass Theater just a few years later. I'm so
proud of the level of excellence Star acheived on the field, as you are
undoubtedly proud of Phantom's success. The only difference is that I no
longer get to see my corps, root for my corps, agonize when my corps does
badly. My corps no longer exists.

So type away, Nikk. Entertain us with your creative writing efforts. Just
select a target a little closer to home.

I wish you and Phantom much success in 1999,

Karen Ruschman
Bridgemen DM 83-84
Star DM 85

Jason Lowe

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
On 27 Aug 1998 00:53:53 GMT, R...@Dicemen.com (Ron Allard) wrote:

>Nikk Pilato <pila...@cmr.fsu.edu> wrote:
>

>> Well, I better get back to grading those papers. Sheesh, if only
>> these kids could spell, y'all wouldn't have to put up with this... ;)
>

>You were doin' good, kid... right up until - according to Jason - you
>spelled "ya'll" wrong...
>Heh...

Heh... I was going to reply to that, but you did already. Thanks. :-)

Some day, non-southerners will learn how to spell YA'LL right.

>--
>Ron in Vegas
>mailto:ron.a...@att.net
>
>"Because there was always something about the Skyliners....and that
>music..."
>- Donnie Solinger
>
>Corpsreps.com - The Drum Corps Repertoire Database
>http://www.corpsreps.com

Jason Lowe

Michael E. New

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Jason Lowe wrote:

> On 27 Aug 1998 00:53:53 GMT, R...@Dicemen.com (Ron Allard) wrote:
>
> >Nikk Pilato <pila...@cmr.fsu.edu> wrote:
> >

> >> Well, I better get back to grading those papers. Sheesh, if only
> >> these kids could spell, y'all wouldn't have to put up with this... ;)
> >
> >You were doin' good, kid... right up until - according to Jason - you
> >spelled "ya'll" wrong...
> >Heh...
>
> Heh... I was going to reply to that, but you did already. Thanks. :-)
>
> Some day, non-southerners will learn how to spell YA'LL right.

Maybe Texans do it different- I thought it was y'all. Then again, we're
disowned by most Southerners anyways...

Mike New
Proud to be a Texan and a State Employee. Where else would you get such
great holidays such as today for LBJ's birthday?

Brian Tingley

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
to Nikk Pilato

Nikk Pilato wrote:

> Call me bored. <really big snip>

Now that I've got the tears wiped away... give yourself a gold star, Nikk. This is
the funniest thing I've read in a loooong time.Brian Tingley
MelloDad

Nikk Pilato

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
krus...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> Funny Nikk. At least it was more amusing than your self-congratulatory "gee I
> saw myself on video" post.

Sheesh...remind me to never say a word about myself again, so that
the RAMD Ego Police never beat down my cyber-door.

> However, as someone who jumps quickly to the defense of any perceived anti-
> Phantom post, you might choose to poke fun at your own corps.

How long have you been on this newsgroup, Karen? I have written
many articles poking fun at my own corps, they are not off-limits to me
just because I marched there. I have also been quick to criticize them
when I feel they are in need of criticism. Of course, I am no one to
criticize, but I thought I'd let you know that I *do* make fun of my own
corps from time to time. Sorry to offend you...

> So type away, Nikk. Entertain us with your creative writing efforts. Just
> select a target a little closer to home.
> I wish you and Phantom much success in 1999,

I have. And I will gain in the future. And Star will see more
from me as well. It's time to let that go, Karen. It is far better that
people still bring them up, even if it is in a humorous fashion, than is
no one talked about them at all.

+++++++++++
Nikk Pilato
Florida State University

krus...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <6s438l$cr1$1...@news.fsu.edu>,

Nikk Pilato <pila...@cmr.fsu.edu> wrote:
> krus...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > Funny Nikk. At least it was more amusing than your self-congratulatory
"gee I
> > saw myself on video" post.
>
> Sheesh...remind me to never say a word about myself again, so that
> the RAMD Ego Police never beat down my cyber-door.

Okay. Consider yourself reminded.

> > However, as someone who jumps quickly to the defense of any perceived anti-
> > Phantom post, you might choose to poke fun at your own corps.
>
> How long have you been on this newsgroup, Karen? I have written
> many articles poking fun at my own corps, they are not off-limits to me
> just because I marched there. I have also been quick to criticize them
> when I feel they are in need of criticism. Of course, I am no one to
> criticize, but I thought I'd let you know that I *do* make fun of my own
> corps from time to time. Sorry to offend you...

On and off for years. Don't seem to have the time to post endlessly as some
do here. And while you may have poked some fun at your corps, you also seem
quite sensitive to any criticism from the outside. And truly, you did not
offend. Let's just say annoy, and leave it at that. I found your topic and
tone a bit mean spirited, and since we can no longer settle this on the
field...

> > So type away, Nikk. Entertain us with your creative writing efforts. Just
> > select a target a little closer to home.
> > I wish you and Phantom much success in 1999,
>
> I have. And I will gain in the future. And Star will see more
> from me as well. It's time to let that go, Karen. It is far better that
> people still bring them up, even if it is in a humorous fashion, than is
> no one talked about them at all.

Please don't lecture anyone to "let it go" until you've experienced what they
have. I certainly don't need that kind of trite advice from you, nor does
anyone else in this group. Or should I respond with trite advice in kind and
tell you to get the chip off your shoulder. I wrote you a response to a
posting that I thought was not in great taste, but I kept my response quite
civil and truly do wish you and your corps well. If you can't respond in the
same manner, but instead choose to continue to post things that an alum of
another corps (albeit inactive) have told you they don't appreciate, that, of
course, is your choice.

There have and will be plenty of wonderful anecdotes about Star, plenty of
petty bullshit, and lots of crazy rumors. I don't think we have to worry
about people not talking about the corps.

Cavie95

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
>In 1997 Star opted to try something new: Marching naked. Using Star's
>considerable bank-roll, they were able to hire the most nubile and
>beautiful young ladies, most of them former Playboy and Penthouse models.
>Finally, Star's persistence paid off, as they scored an astounding 99.6 on
>the strength of their show entitled "Live Nude Girls," consisting of the
>music of Phillip Glass and David Bowie. The second place finisher, Velvet
>Knights (whose show was entitled "A Night at OJ's") included a guest star
>on the sidelines, NFL Denver Bronco QB John ELway participated on the
>OJ-themed show by playing a white, slow-moving Bronco.

Oh damn Nikk, that's the freakin funniest thing I've read in a long time! Too
bad it didn't come true right? I would have liked to see them do that show
hehe :)

ECS
Aloha HS vis instructor 97-98
FMM Rosemont Cavaliers 1994-95 DCI World Champion
FMM Longview Marauders 1990-93
U Of Oregon 1992-94
Sunset HS 1989-92
{These views are mine alone, and do not represent the views of these or any
other organizations}

Jolson6060

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
LOL. Thats be sum funy shiz.

On a more serious side:

If Star was still here, it would be yet another bitch, gripe and moan on RAMD.

John

Jason Lowe

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:47:03 -0500, "Michael E. New" <me...@bga.com> wrote:

>Maybe Texans do it different- I thought it was y'all. Then again, we're
>disowned by most Southerners anyways...

Cause ya'll are mean as snakes down there. :-) Just kidding. I haven't disowned
ya'll.. yet. :-)

>Mike New
>Proud to be a Texan and a State Employee. Where else would you get such
>great holidays such as today for LBJ's birthday?

Well...well... we get uh... I guess Jimmy Carter's. I dunno. :-)

Ed Boxer

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
>From: Nikk Pilato <pila...@cmr.fsu.edu>
>Date: Wed, Aug 26, 1998 20:10 EDT

> In 1997 Star opted to try something new: Marching naked. Using Star's
>considerable bank-roll, they were able to hire the most nubile and
>beautiful young ladies, most of them former Playboy and Penthouse models.
>Finally, Star's persistence paid off, as they scored an astounding 99.6 on
>the strength of their show entitled "Live Nude Girls," consisting of the
>music of Phillip Glass and David Bowie. The second place finisher, Velvet
>Knights (whose show was entitled "A Night at OJ's") included a guest star
>on the sidelines, NFL Denver Bronco QB John ELway participated on the
>OJ-themed show by playing a white, slow-moving Bronco.

Hmmm, surprised there were no phasing problems, or injured instruments!!!! :')

Ed "Boxer" Jones

Check out my home page: http://www.GeoCities.com/WestHollywood/9172
A Guide to Opera on CD; Boxing; my Lego creations; Drum and Bugle Corps; Key
West

Brian Tingley

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98

krus...@my-dejanews.com went on and on and on and on....

> Funny Nikk. At least it was more amusing than your self-congratulatory "gee I
> saw myself on video" post.
>

> However, as someone who jumps quickly to the defense of any perceived anti-
> Phantom post, you might choose to poke fun at your own corps.
>

> Of course maybe I'm just a bit sensitive,

Here on RAMD, we like to say that we are holding our "pooh" in our "wootchie".

> Frankly I'm tired of all the Star "what if" threads, even the ones
> intending to be humorous.

It's really because people miss Star, Bill Cook and the class they brought to the
big show. If Michalangelo did paint by numbers, no one would ever mention his
name.

> <big snip>

> I'm so proud of the level of excellence Star acheived on the field, <little
> snip>

And rightfully so... but if Nikk substituted Phantom for Star, it wouldn't have
been funny. In fact, it wouldn't have made much sense. It's humor. Laugh. Your
President is making his staff roll his cigars in their crotch before he smokes
them, for crying out loud. Ya gotta laugh.

> So type away, Nikk. Entertain us with your creative writing efforts. Just
> select a target a little closer to home.
>
> I wish you and Phantom much success in 1999,
>

> Karen Ruschman
> Bridgemen DM 83-84
> Star DM 85
>
> -

Editorial comment fromBrian Tingley
MelloDad

ScribeToo

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
>Please don't lecture anyone to "let it go" until you've experienced what they
>have. I certainly don't need that kind of trite advice from you, nor does
>anyone else in this group. Or should I respond with trite advice in kind and
>tell you to get the chip off your shoulder. I wrote you a response to a
>posting that I thought was not in great taste, but I kept my response quite
>civil and truly do wish you and your corps well. If you can't respond in the
>same manner, but instead choose to continue to post things that an alum of
>another corps (albeit inactive) have told you they don't appreciate, that, of
>course, is your choice.

Whoa, hey now.. I am not presuming to speak for Nikk or anyone else.. but I
didn't find anything mean spirited in what he said.. it was a lampoon.. it just
HAPPENED to mention Star in the title..and if anything it was a post that was
saying "my how we've changed without Star aound" -- I don't think he was being
contrite.. and I think you are taking it a little bit hard.. when you first
responded.. civil is a word I would use loosely for your post.. and the same
goes for this one.. if it bugs you, don't read it. What else can we tell
you?

I thought it was funny as anything.. he also made fun of another "inactive"
corps, the Velvet Knights.. but I guess that's okay since they were "used to
it" while they were around?? Come on..

Your corps is not dead by any means.. just not participating in DCI.. it
still exists and still holds to a lot of it's own tradition.. don't treat it
like it's dead... don't you think that kind of thinking gives the memory of the
years you spent on the field less respect than they deserve? I do.

Stefanie Kressaty
Staff Writer, Drum Corps World 1993 - present
Volunteer, West Coast Sound 1996 - present

"even the longest standing tradition was once a radical idea."

Nikk Pilato

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
krus...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> Please don't lecture anyone to "let it go" until you've experienced what they
> have. I certainly don't need that kind of trite advice from you, nor does
> anyone else in this group. Or should I respond with trite advice in kind and
> tell you to get the chip off your shoulder. I wrote you a response to a
> posting that I thought was not in great taste, but I kept my response quite
> civil and truly do wish you and your corps well. If you can't respond in the
> same manner, but instead choose to continue to post things that an alum of
> another corps (albeit inactive) have told you they don't appreciate, that, of
> course, is your choice.

Speaking of chips on shoulders, your shoulder seems to be sporting
quite a large one. If I am going to have to start apologizing for
everything I write because people are too sensitive, let me do it on a
large-scale blanket form: I am sorry that I have given offense with
words. But remember, there is no offense where there is none taken. Gee,
but I guess you might just call that trite advice, eh? Well, then let me
apologize to you directly, and explain something. If you were to look
though the, admittedly, thousands of posts I have put up on RAMD since
1994 or so, you will never find a single word putting Star down, insulting
or belittling them, or anything of the sort. There have been times that I
have taken certain members to task for being, well, for being cocky
sons-of-bitches, but those people never seem to last very long on this
newsgroup. I am curious: What part of my post did you find mean or in
bad taste? Having been a fan of Star's throughout their DCI years, I
thought the post was in good fun and I hoped it would bring a smile to
former members, I am sorry that it has not done so to you. If anything at
all, I would say that your response to me was more "catty" and offensive
than my post, since you took it to a personal level. But I won't respond
in kind, instead I will offer you an apology and forget about it. In the
future, you may want to drop me in a kill file, or simply ignore my posts,
since I will not stop picking on *all* corps simply on your account.

Nikk Pilato

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
krus...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> Funny Nikk. At least it was more amusing than your self-congratulatory "gee I
> saw myself on video" post.

> Of course maybe I'm just a bit sensitive, but since I had the priviledge of

> leading two terrific corps onto the field only to see them leave the activity,

How is what you wrote here any less self-congratulatory than my
earlier post that you so snidely make a reference to? Pride is a funny
thing, and makes itself felt in the most unsuspecting ways, doesn't it? ;)

+++++++++++
Nikk Pilato
Florida State University

------------------------
RSFC's Official Website:
http://otto.cmr.fsu.edu/~pilato_n/rsfc.htm
Insults, flames, slams, and song parodies.

Omidman123

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98

>You were doin' good, kid... right up until - according to Jason - you
>spelled "ya'll" wrong...
>Heh...

actually, y'all is a combination of you and all... the ' represents where they
combine, and seeing as there is no letter A in "you", the proper combination
would be "y'all".

Good god.. I need a life

Phil Earnhardt

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:00:14 GMT, krus...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>[...]

>In my particular case, after the Bridgemen clearly were not going to survive,
>I had the opportunity to go to any number of established corps. But I chose
>Star, because I believed in Bill Cook's vision. After years of spending more
>time raising funds than practicing, not eating on tour, and working with
>terrible equipment, I knew corporate sponsorship was a step in the right
>direction. I wanted the opportunity to work with an individual who wanted to
>extend this terrific activity to an area rich in musical talent that didn't
>have a corps of their own. But I didn't take this risk to see the corps
>disbanded and re-established as Brass Theater just a few years later. I'm so
>proud of the level of excellence Star acheived on the field, as you are
>undoubtedly proud of Phantom's success. The only difference is that I no
>longer get to see my corps, root for my corps, agonize when my corps does
>badly. My corps no longer exists.

Karen: Thanks for posting this. Like many others, I felt a strong sense of loss
and dissapointment when Star left the world of Drum Corps. Strangely -- until
you posted this -- I had never realized that many Star alumni (founders!) would
feel that same sense of loss.

>Karen Ruschman
>Bridgemen DM 83-84
>Star DM 85

While I haven't seen the video in over a decade, I still clearly remember that
Salute from 1985. Thanks, Karen.

--phil
(Fan-at-large)

Terri Dittrich

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98

The school kids and state workers get Casimir Pulaski day off here in
Chitown!

-Terri

Terri Dittrich

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
Ron Allard wrote:

> Terri Dittrich <gmen...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

> > The school kids and state workers get Casimir Pulaski day off here in
> > Chitown!
> >
> > -Terri
>
> Wow... flashback....
>
> Polaski Day parades in Upstate New York in the 60s...
> (October, wasn't it?)

> --
> Ron in Vegas
> mailto:ron.a...@att.net
>
> "Because there was always something about the Skyliners....and that
> music..."
> - Donnie Solinger
>
> Corpsreps.com - The Drum Corps Repertoire Database
> http://www.corpsreps.com
Yes, it's in October. Why they even bother to open the school that
month is beyond me with Columbus Day in Oct also.

-Terri

krus...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
In article <6s4ums$bpe$2...@news.fsu.edu>,

Nikk Pilato <pila...@cmr.fsu.edu> wrote:
> krus...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > Funny Nikk. At least it was more amusing than your self-congratulatory
"gee I
> > saw myself on video" post.
>
> > Of course maybe I'm just a bit sensitive, but since I had the priviledge of
> > leading two terrific corps onto the field only to see them leave the
activity,

> How is what you wrote here any less self-congratulatory than my
> earlier post that you so snidely make a reference to? Pride is a funny
> thing, and makes itself felt in the most unsuspecting ways, doesn't it? ;)

It's not. That's the point. It's also a point of reference for my posting,
but honestly it was just a snarky swipe after reading your post of a few days
(weeks?) ago. Honestly, Nikk, how many people on RAMD have had that same
experience of seeing themselves march their final steps on video? Tons. Your
"gee whiz, look at me" tone in your post just seemed so silly that a bunch of
us had a chuckle about it off line.

But you're right, I was snide, and for that I apologize.

Karen
Currently frustrated by buggy software at work

> +++++++++++
> Nikk Pilato
> Florida State University

krus...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
In article <35e5f480...@news.newsguy.com>,

p...@dim.com (Phil Earnhardt) wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:00:14 GMT, krus...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
> >[...]
> >In my particular case, after the Bridgemen clearly were not going to survive,
> >I had the opportunity to go to any number of established corps. But I chose
> >Star, because I believed in Bill Cook's vision. After years of spending more
> >time raising funds than practicing, not eating on tour, and working with
> >terrible equipment, I knew corporate sponsorship was a step in the right
> >direction. I wanted the opportunity to work with an individual who wanted to
> >extend this terrific activity to an area rich in musical talent that didn't
> >have a corps of their own. But I didn't take this risk to see the corps
> >disbanded and re-established as Brass Theater just a few years later. I'm so
> >proud of the level of excellence Star acheived on the field, as you are
> >undoubtedly proud of Phantom's success. The only difference is that I no
> >longer get to see my corps, root for my corps, agonize when my corps does
> >badly. My corps no longer exists.
>
> Karen: Thanks for posting this. Like many others, I felt a strong sense of
loss
> and dissapointment when Star left the world of Drum Corps. Strangely -- until
> you posted this -- I had never realized that many Star alumni (founders!)
would
> feel that same sense of loss.

Phil,

Thanks for your kind words. Unfortunatey, this was the point I was trying to
get across in my original posting; that there are faces and individuals
attached to Star and its legacy and, by God, we're just tired of being
everyone's whipping boy or the butt of the joke. Hell, we're still smarting
from the fact that the corps isn't on the field kicking butt.

Frankly, it's the reason so many Star alums have stopped posting and even more
have stopped reading.

> >Karen Ruschman
> >Bridgemen DM 83-84
> >Star DM 85
>
> While I haven't seen the video in over a decade, I still clearly remember that
> Salute from 1985. Thanks, Karen.
>
> --phil
> (Fan-at-large)

Peace and be well, Phil.

Cheers,

Karen

krus...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
<major snippage>

Nikk, Nikk, Nikk. In my original post I was simply trying to make the point
that many of the Star alum are just tired of the corps constantly being the
butt of the joke. People and their feelings are involved, and certainly no
other group would tolerate the treatment this particular group of alum have
endured on this newsgoup. (Although some of that DCA stuff is getting really
ugly.) However, to show that I have no bad feelings toward you, your corps,
or the activity, and to show the three interested posters/readers that I can
embrace this new spirit of "parordy anyone" that seems to exist, I offer my
version of what would have happened if Star had stayed after 1994. Please
note this is fiction and not meant to offend anyone, since I now understand
that anyone and everyone is fair game...absolutely myself and my corps
included.

There is much discussion in the judging community following the 1993 DCI
Championships. "Clearly we cannot keep denying the title to the corps that
has the best brass, drum, and marching performance simply because no one
likes them," is the most often heard refrain. Star's show for 1994 consists
of music no one has ever heard of, and, in a pissy mood, Jim Mason decides
they should play the show backwards and march at over 500 beats a
minute...just because they can. No one understands the show, the crowd hates
it, but it's so hard and so clean the judging community shrugs and awards
them the title. Score: 99.4 and all captions.

The reaction among the other corps is swift; they must find a way to stop this
runaway train. For the 1995 season, Madison boldly decides they can no longer
compete for the title, but wish to continue being the crowd favorite. They
decide the drumline has been holding them back and opt to march a 95 man
hornline, 37 of which are screaming leads. They eliminate their marching
program and play the whole show leaning back and wailing. The fans love it;
the judges, who can't be heard on their tapes over the screams of the crowd,
put the corps in 4th place.

Blue Devils decide the only way they can compete is by being as clean as
humanly possible, and they design the show so that no hornline member is ever
marching and playing at the same time. Their staff, however, forgot to
consult the updated rules, and the corps gets killed on the new 30 point
difficulty caption. Immaculate horn and drum show, but only good enough for
third.

Phantom, eager to shed its title of the last of the "big boys" who have not
won finals has embarked on a most ambitious path. Desperate for a ring, they
have formed a staff led by former directors Bob "The Burly One" Lendman, Dr.
(I forget what he's a doctor of) Dan, Dave "The Mad Gesturer" St. Angell, and
Dougie Rutherford. After months of meetings, the directing staff has decided
to resurrect the entire 1978 show, marching members and all, since this show
is the closest the corps has ever come to attaining its coveted rings. When
asked by intrepid DCW reporter Stefanie K. if they're concerned about the use
of so many overage members, the directors reply "Nah." Bob Lendman clarifies
by saying, "With the Bridgemen and Muchachos gone, and Hoppy busy with his
YEA projects, I don't think anyone from the East will turn us in. And the
Cavies, Star, and Madison folks are so tired of hearing how often we've been
screwed that they're willing to let us march whoever they want. The West
Coast corps? Too mellow. They don't care." So the plans for the Phantom
super corps continues.

Miraculously, all the former members or one of their progeny are located, and
the corps is coming together nicely. One rifle remains missing, and when the
lady in questioned is identified as the individual who dropped her rifle in
finals in 1978, the other directors look suspiciously at Lendman.

**For those of you too young to remember, a tick (or a drop) under the old
system of judging was penalized by a tenth of a point. When Phantom lost the
1978 finals by .1, a rumor ran rampant through the drum corps community the
young lady who had dropped her rifle went home and offed herself. Certainly a
loss cannot be blamed on one individual, but this story had legs and continued
for years.**

Needing another strong, tough, talented rifle, a team was dispatched by the
directors to Revere, MA. 147 suitable replacements were found; one was
accepted.

The corps was almost complete, but they still needed a Drum Major
(conductor). Since they wanted to re-enact the famous "Pass through the rifle
line while they toss their weapons to each other and when you reach the end
drop a sharp salute" routine, they needed to find the best, toughest, Drum
Major (conductor) ever. A search went out to retrieve Marcia Hanson. The
Kristy Spears fan club, which now numbered in the tens of thousands, sent up
a cry of dismay, but when it was pointed out to them that a single mishap
with the rifle line might kill or maim the diminutive Ms. Spears, they
decided to drop their complaint.

The corps was now complete. The corps performed their show flawlessly, but
alas is was only good enough for a tie for second with the Cadets, who were
performing "West Side Story" backwards and marching at 600 beats a minute.

First place, again, to Star of Indiana, with a musical show that actually
caused spectators' ears to bleed. (However, it was clean and brutally hard.
:))

The Winter before the 1996 season was a bleak one for drum corps. Last year's
show had only 450 fans in attendance. In a move that suprised no one, Finals
was quickly relocated to Madison and the percussion caption was removed from
the judging sheets.

The Blue Devils decide to dust off their Tommy show. Determined to continue
to be brutally clean, they don't actually play the show. They simply walk on
the field, take their opening positions, and stand there for 10 minutes.
Just the threat that they might play and the fact that they look so damn cool
earns them a return trip to 3rd place.

Phantom has worked long and hard all Winter, determined to win their coveted
ring. They've retained their 1978 show, but have replaced Marcia Hanson with
Kristy Spears. The corps performs flawlessly, despite the fact that Ms.
Spears is rendered unconscious by a pre-show rifle accident. The corps
performs bravely with a slightly woozy Ms. Spears at the helm, but is once
again tied for second, this time with Star, performing their innaugural
Disney show - backwards and marching 750 beat per minute, natch.

First place goes to the Scouts, performing in front of 60,000 rabid fans.
Deciding that the color guard was holding them back, the Scouts are now 128
horns strong, 79 of them lead sopranos. The ear bleeding incidents reported
the year before during Star's performance returns, but nobody complains. Two
judges are hospitalized for sound induced trauma. But nobody complains.

**Note the Cadets are inactive because they are investigating a revolutionary
new Brass Theater concept and are performing all over the country with
Englebert Humperdink.**

DCI names 1997 the Year of the Fan and urges all the corps to perform fun and
accessible shows.

The Blue Devils roll the dice with an all Righteous Brothers show, but once
again decline to actually march. Still, their horn playing is good enough to
vault the corps into 3rd place and the fans love them.

Madison, now convinced the size limits imposed by DCI is holding them back,
shows up with 243 horns, 145 of them lead sopranos, and plays Malaguena and
Malaga for 20 minutes straight. 28 people in the front row actually are
killed during their performance, but no one complains. This show is good
enough for a second place tie with...

...I know, I know. Phantom Regiment. Who thought this tragedy could strike
again? But alas, even the resurrected Spartacus show with Kirk Douglas as
Drum Major (conductor) is not good enough to bring the corps their coveted
ring. The corps does, however, win a Pulitzer prize for its 562 page, leather
bound libretto, available for $36.95 at the souvie stand.

First place, Star of Indiana, and at this point even the staff isn't sure what
they're playing. But, damn, it's clean. In a DCI first, the corps scores 101
points.

1998 DCI Finals, Madison (now officially the permanent site of finals)

The Cadets are back, this time with Tom Jones and woodwinds! There's a lot of
pelvic thrusting in this show, and a Z-pull or two, for good measure. The
crowd loves them, and they settle happily back into finals with a 3rd place
finish.

Madison is unable to perform as security cannot get them safely from their
busses through the throngs of adoring fans to the field. The judges, wisely,
award them second place anyway...in fear of their lives from same fans. This
puts them in a tie with...

...Star of Indiana, who, as a part of an experimental year as a member of YEA,
is performing Malaguena, while marching at 990 beat per minute.

The winner: The Glassmen, with one of the truly complete and wonderful shows
anyone has ever seen. Who the heck are these guys and where did they come
from?

Unfortunately, this is the incident the pushes Phantom over the edge. To have
gone so long without a ring is cruel; to see some other upstart corps from the
midwest win before they do is more than they can take. Led by their staff of
directors and an initial backing of capital from Bill Cook, the entire
organization embarks on the franchising of a chain of stores called
"Bridesmaids 'R Us". Anchored by the enormous success of their "SUTA" line of
dresses, the stores are wildly popular and everyone involved becomes a
millionaire many times over. The Kristy Spears fan club, with now over 42
million members, is happy. And, in a move that warms the hearts of all the
RAMDidians, Nikk Pilato is able to purchase his beloved Florida State football
team and have them scrimmage all day long in the backyard of his mansion.
Texas A&M, the Miami Hurricanes, and even the Dallas Cowboys come to challenge
mighty FSU at Nikk's and none of them are successful.

DCI 1999, Madison

A beautiful day, 65 degrees in the evening. It's the 15th anniversary of the
first time Star ever performed in finals. The corps performs an encore of the
1993 Medea show and wins. And nobody complains. All is right with the world.

Peace,

Karen Ruschman
Marched a few places; learned a few things

Nikk Pilato

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
krus...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > How is what you wrote here any less self-congratulatory than my
> > earlier post that you so snidely make a reference to? Pride is a funny
> > thing, and makes itself felt in the most unsuspecting ways, doesn't it? ;)

> It's not. That's the point. It's also a point of reference for my posting,
> but honestly it was just a snarky swipe after reading your post of a few days
> (weeks?) ago. Honestly, Nikk, how many people on RAMD have had that same
> experience of seeing themselves march their final steps on video? Tons. Your
> "gee whiz, look at me" tone in your post just seemed so silly that a bunch of
> us had a chuckle about it off line.
> But you're right, I was snide, and for that I apologize.

Apology accepted.
And once again, my apologies for making you fell uncomfortable with my
"Star" post.

krus...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
In article <199808280043...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

scri...@aol.com (ScribeToo) wrote:
> >Please don't lecture anyone to "let it go" until you've experienced what they
> >have. I certainly don't need that kind of trite advice from you, nor does
> >anyone else in this group. Or should I respond with trite advice in kind and
> >tell you to get the chip off your shoulder. I wrote you a response to a
> >posting that I thought was not in great taste, but I kept my response quite
> >civil and truly do wish you and your corps well. If you can't respond in the
> >same manner, but instead choose to continue to post things that an alum of
> >another corps (albeit inactive) have told you they don't appreciate, that, of
> >course, is your choice.
>
> Whoa, hey now.. I am not presuming to speak for Nikk or anyone else.. but I
> didn't find anything mean spirited in what he said.. it was a lampoon.. it
just
> HAPPENED to mention Star in the title..and if anything it was a post that was
> saying "my how we've changed without Star aound" -- I don't think he was being
> contrite.. and I think you are taking it a little bit hard.. when you first
> responded.. civil is a word I would use loosely for your post.. and the same
> goes for this one.. if it bugs you, don't read it. What else can we tell
> you?

> I thought it was funny as anything.. he also made fun of another "inactive"
> corps, the Velvet Knights.. but I guess that's okay since they were "used to
> it" while they were around?? Come on..

No actually back "in my day" we found it in bad taste to publicly say anything
a member of another corps might find offensive.

And maybe that's why I find it a bit distasteful to get advice like "get over
it" or "don't read it" by folks who have been "involved" in drum corps for
such a few years. I'm very sensitive to the fact that since I began marching
in 1978 I am still quite a newbie to the activity. There are people on this
group who put my experience and knowledge of the activity to shame. If they
wish to gently offer advice, I'll try to take it gracefully. But since RAMD
seems so full of people glibbly butting in to subjects that either don't
concern them or which they know painfully little about, I'm afraid civility
sometimes fails me.

> Your corps is not dead by any means.. just not participating in DCI.. it
> still exists and still holds to a lot of it's own tradition.. don't treat it
> like it's dead... don't you think that kind of thinking gives the memory of
the
> years you spent on the field less respect than they deserve? I do.
>
> Stefanie Kressaty
> Staff Writer, Drum Corps World 1993 - present
> Volunteer, West Coast Sound 1996 - present
>
> "even the longest standing tradition was once a radical idea."

Stefanie, my corps no longer exists. It's as dead as the Bridgemen, the
Muchachos, and a million other wonderful corps before them. I don't think
that accepting that truth diminishes my memory of the years I spent on the
field one iota. And in the spirit of creating fiction while using actual
drum corps, I hope you see my latest response to Nikk. Please note this is
not at all the way I was brought up to show respect and consideration for
other corps and their members, but I'd hate to think that you or any other
reader would go away thinking that I don't have a sense of humor, fun , and
fair play. BTW, I give you a mention as the "intrepid DCW reporter" and I'm
currently considering actresses to play you in the movie version of my story.
Since I don't know you, do you have any suggestions? Somehow I picture you
as any one of the actresses on "Friends", but feel free to choose another,
more appropriate actress at your convenience. :)

Be well,

Karen
Amateur Golfer Extroadinaire

BratDawg

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98

Brian Tingley wrote:
<snip>

> ...Your President is making his staff roll his cigars in their crotch before

he smokes >them, for crying out loud. Ya gotta laugh.

adds new meaning to the term "hand rolled".....:-)

Nikk Pilato

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
krus...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> ...I know, I know. Phantom Regiment. Who thought this tragedy could strike
> again? But alas, even the resurrected Spartacus show with Kirk Douglas as
> Drum Major (conductor) is not good enough to bring the corps their coveted
> ring. The corps does, however, win a Pulitzer prize for its 562 page, leather
> bound libretto, available for $36.95 at the souvie stand.

Kirk Douglas would be the most bad-ass director, aside from Jack
Palance and Clint Eastwood.

> million members, is happy. And, in a move that warms the hearts of all the
> RAMDidians, Nikk Pilato is able to purchase his beloved Florida State football
> team and have them scrimmage all day long in the backyard of his mansion.
> Texas A&M, the Miami Hurricanes, and even the Dallas Cowboys come to challenge
> mighty FSU at Nikk's and none of them are successful.

Yes!!!!! I would *love* to see them play in my backyard, but
hell...if I could afford a mansion, I'm sure I could afford a club seat in
Doak Campbell Stadium, where I would still watch the Seminoles destroy
most of the college football world. Nice job, Karen. Now we're cooking.

Jason Lowe

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98

No no NO! We say "ya" instead of "you" down here. THAT'S why it's "YA'LL".

Sheesh. :-)

>Good god.. I need a life

Jason

NOLA Kent

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
Jason wrote:

>No no NO! We say "ya" instead of "you" down here. THAT'S why it's "YA'LL".

><BR>
><BR>
>Sheesh. :-)<BR>
><BR>

I hate to burst your bubble or give anyone the impression that a Southerner can
actually be intelligent and ennunciate well, but I've been "down here" in the
Deep South all my 36 years, and we say "you" for 2nd-person singular, and "you"
or "y'all" for 2nd-person plural. Word play is fine, but let's not blaspheme
the South!!!

Kent, sipping a Mint Julep on the veranda

NOLA Kent

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
Ok, it looks like someone is taking Nikk's post (and several defenses of it)
WAY too seriously. The tone of Nikk's article was, IMO, and in the opinion of
scores of others on this newsgroup, completely light and harmless (and
extremely clever). After reading mountains of praise for Star on this
newsgroup, the only negative impression I've gotten of the former corps is that
associated with the bitter response of the former member who has been posting
here. Ok, you miss your corps, all of us who have marched can relate to that
(and yes, many of us have marched in a corps that no longer exists in ANY form,
on stage or on the field). But, please stop spewing venom long enough to
realize that the vast majority of posters on RAMD continue to say great things
about a corps that hasn't competed in DCI in over 5 years. That's a much
better legacy than fading into obscurity.

Kent

krus...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
In article <199808281817...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
nola...@aol.com (NOLA Kent) wrote:
> Ok, it looks like someone (that would be me, Karen) is taking Nikk's post

(and several defenses of it)
> WAY too seriously. The tone of Nikk's article was, IMO, and in the opinion of
> scores of others on this newsgroup, completely light and harmless (and
> extremely clever). After reading mountains of praise for Star on this
> newsgroup, the only negative impression I've gotten of the former corps is
that
> associated with the bitter response of the former member (again, that's me,
Karen) who has been posting
> here.

Bitter that Star is no longer a corps? You betcha. Bitter and with malice
towards anyone in this group? No way. But I'll tweak someone occasionally
when I think it's warranted, but promise never to direct my annoyance at
someone who can't take it.

Ok, you miss your corps, all of us who have marched can relate to that
> (and yes, many of us have marched in a corps that no longer exists in ANY
form,
> on stage or on the field). But, please stop spewing venom long enough to
> realize that the vast majority of posters on RAMD continue to say great things
> about a corps that hasn't competed in DCI in over 5 years.

Spewing venom? You couldn't possibly have read all the posts. But you don't
like me or my opinion, and that's just fine.

Still, I find all these posters rushing to Nikk's defense amusing. Nikk's a
big boy and can more than handle himself, and I've enjoyed our dialog
immensely. That loyalty exists among posters is admirable. However, what I
ask you to realize is that while you find my point of view disagreable, many
others have responded to me privately that they concur with my point of view
and feel discouraged by some of the posts here, particulary regarding Star.
You found the original lighthearted and harmless; to others, it was another in
a line of postings whose point seemed to be to slam an organization they cared
for.

Understand we all read and interpret these articles based on our own previous
experiences, and humor and sarcasm are the most difficult things to translate
in this typewritten forum.

That's a much
> better legacy than fading into obscurity.
>
> Kent

Please take a few moments to read all the associated postings, including my
work of fiction (soon to be a major motion picture). Nikk liked it. You
might, too.

Have a groovy weekend,

Karen
Who will be at Fenway tomorrow night and is damned happy about it

krus...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
In article <199808281800...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

Try "youse guys" anytime you're North of the Mason Dixon. Guaranteed to be
understood by the fine folks in Newark, Bayonne, Jersey City, and other New
Jersey vacation spots.

Karen, jealous of Kent's Mint Julep, so I'm going out for Chinese and a Mai
Tai

NOLA Kent

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
Karen wrote:

>.Karen, jealous of Kent's Mint Julep, so I'm going out for Chinese and a
>MaiTai>-----=

Hey, I'm open-minded....Chinese and a Mai Tai sounds pretty good to me, too!
<G>

Kent...."Viva La Variety!!!"

ScribeToo

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
> BTW, I give you a mention as the "intrepid DCW reporter" and I'm
>currently considering actresses to play you in the movie version of my story.
> Since I don't know you, do you have any suggestions? Somehow I picture you
>as any one of the actresses on "Friends", but feel free to choose another,
>more appropriate actress at your convenience. :)

LOL!! very well done!! My hat is off to you!!!

I hope you stay around!!!

krus...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
In article <199808290000...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
Kent,

They were! Sorry I didn't save any to share!

Karen
Heading for the treadmill at lunch after her indulgent weekend

Daniel O'Neal

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
> Heh... I was going to reply to that, but you did already.
> Thanks. :-)
>
> Some day, non-southerners will learn how to spell YA'LL right.

Maybe so. Too bad it's spelled "y'all."

VK Alumni

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
No, it's Y'All.....Y'All
A contraction of You and All, remove the "ou" replace with a ' and you have
Y'ALL
Grammer made fun (sigh)

Vote republican

Ron Allard <R...@Dicemen.com> wrote in article
<6t9rsl$7...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

> (Sigh)
>
> No, it's spelled "ya'll"....
> Sheesh
> (Grin)

> --
> Ron in Vegas
> mailto:ron.a...@att.net
>
> "Because there was always something about the Skyliners...

Mark Inchaustegui

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98

Actually, if you're talking about "everyone" or "everybody" in Southern
slang it's "All Y'all".

Jeff Pastor
Mellophone
CorpsVets, Atlanta, GA