Non-Comp Review Project

Peter Mattsson

Oct 8, 2006, 6:09:26 PM10/8/06
>put head over parapet
Nervously, you haul yourself up and wave to the heaving masses.

>make announcement
Adopting your best declamatory voice, you make the following
announcement.

"I, Peter Mattsson, being of unsound mind and body, do hereby take up
the torch of the Non-Comp Review Project from one Greg Boettcher, and do
solemnly promise to continue same in the spirit that it was originally
conceiv'd."

That's right, folks: we want your reviews, and we want them *NOW*! (Or
whenever you're ready; frankly, any time before the Last Trump would be
good...)

Greg started the project to give more exposure to games that were
released outside a major Comp, since these don't often receive the
attention they deserve. Carrying on his proud tradition, the current
goal is to review every game released in 2006 that hasn't featured in a
major Comp. Basically, you know those games you're all busily playing
and reviewing right now? Anything but those.

I wouldn't have raised this until after the Comp, but for one thing: the
upcoming SPAG deadline on October 11th. If you're so much as thinking
about planning to review a non-Comp game before then, here's a little
extra incentive: submit your review to us as well, and you'll get double
the exposure for no extra work! Good, eh?

Just to whet your appetite, here are some games that both Jimmy and I
are keen to see reviews of:

Provenance
When in Rome, parts 1 and/or 2
Bronze
The Reliques of Tolti-Aph
Escape from the Crazy Place
An Escape to Remember
IntroComp 2006 entries (any, some or all)
McDream mini-comp entries (any, some, or all)
Attack of the Yeti Robot Zombies

I'll post/bother you again when the Comp dust has settled a bit, but
until then I would be interested in hearing from anyone who wants to get
involved: if you want to review a particular game, get your name down
now! Like Greg, I'll review the ones no-one else wants; please write in
and cut that list down a bit.

Whatever the reason[1], just remove the magic word from my address to
get in touch.

Cheers,

Peter

[1] Not all reasons are created equal: purveyors of spam will be rounded
up and shot, as usual.

Aaron A. Reed

Oct 9, 2006, 1:36:20 PM10/9/06
Huzzah to Peter for taking up the mantle of what is becoming an
excellent annual tradition! I'll be contacting Peter soon to talk about
reviewing some games. Some great stuff gets released outside of the
comps each year; it's nice to see it get a little recognition.