please acknowledge : HAUNT, LORD, LUGI, FISK

Raymond E. Carhart

Mar 8, 1993, 10:54:01 PM3/8/93

I used to play several vintage text games on a terminal connected to a corporate
mainframe at my dad's company. Since the years have gone by, I've never been
able to find a trace of:

LUGI
This was a weird game with bizarre room descriptions. You would go around rooms
of a house-- the map would be different every time, and try to get as much
stuff as you could before the guards came tromping after you. Weird, kind of
underground-y.

FISK
A really big, ZORK-like game, that started at an innocuous house like ZORK, and
led to a big complex of rooms with treasures and bad guys..

LORD
A lord-of-the-rings related textgame. It was huge-- I never even scratched the
surface of it.

HAUNT
The idea was to stay inside a sort of ancestral estate for a night. Some sort
of ancestors had been trampled by a moose, many years earlier. This game was
highly comical-- there was a sugar cube with LSD on it, a frankenstein-like
monster being made on a slab upstairs (who reacts to being given candy),
secret panels in walls activated by flushing the toilet,.. I'm really sorry
to have lost track of this thing.

So if ANYONE has any memory of these things, or knows of any resources for
tracking them down-- I think they might be the peers of Colossal Cave,
or a few years beyond-- please let me know.

Kevin
uk...@mcl.ucsb.edu

Randolph M. Jones

Mar 9, 1993, 10:58:07 AM3/9/93
In article <1993Mar9.0...@netcom.com>, car...@netcom.com (Raymond E. Carhart) writes:
|> HAUNT
|> The idea was to stay inside a sort of ancestral estate for a night. Some sort
|> of ancestors had been trampled by a moose, many years earlier. This game was
|> highly comical-- there was a sugar cube with LSD on it, a frankenstein-like
|> monster being made on a slab upstairs (who reacts to being given candy),
|> secret panels in walls activated by flushing the toilet,.. I'm really sorry
|> to have lost track of this thing.

I'd love it if someone could find this one and send me a copy. I work with
the guy who wrote it (John Laird) and even he doesn't have a copy any more.
It was written in (I believe) OPS5 and only ran on DEC 20's...at the time it
was purported to be "the largest production system in the world".