TADS 3: Audio discrepancies in .t3 and .exe compiled versions

Greg Boettcher

Jun 21, 2010, 10:01:59 PM6/21/10
I just compiled a .t3 project for release, with graphics audio
resources embedded within the .t3 file. No problems; the graphics and
audio worked fine.

Then, less than 60 seconds later, I compiled an .exe version of the
file, attempting to embed the resources inside as before. When I ran
it, the graphics appeared fine, but there was no audio.

Anybody have any idea why this might be?

Greg

Emily Boegheim

Jun 21, 2010, 10:19:52 PM6/21/10
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:01:59 -0700, Greg Boettcher wrote:

> I just compiled a .t3 project for release, with graphics audio resources
> embedded within the .t3 file. No problems; the graphics and audio worked
> fine.
>
> Then, less than 60 seconds later, I compiled an .exe version of the
> file, attempting to embed the resources inside as before. When I ran it,
> the graphics appeared fine, but there was no audio.

There was a bug in recent versions of HTML TADS for Windows which caused
sounds embedded in a .t3/.gam file not to play. Mike Roberts updated the
stand-alone interpreter to fix that bug, but he didn't bother to release
a patch for the compiler, since he didn't think many people used the
"release as .exe" function. But it'll be fixed in the next version of the
compiler.

It'll probably be a while before the next version of TADS 3 is out,
though, and you're not the first person to spot this bug. So maybe Mike
will change his mind and patch the compiler in the mean time. It can't
hurt to ask, anyway.

Emily

Greg Boettcher

Jun 22, 2010, 7:16:31 AM6/22/10
On Jun 21, 9:19 pm, Emily Boegheim <emily.boegh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was a bug in recent versions of HTML TADS for Windows which caused
> sounds embedded in a .t3/.gam file not to play. Mike Roberts updated the
> stand-alone interpreter to fix that bug, but he didn't bother to release
> a patch for the compiler, since he didn't think many people used the
> "release as .exe" function. But it'll be fixed in the next version of the
> compiler.
>
> It'll probably be a while before the next version of TADS 3 is out,
> though, and you're not the first person to spot this bug. So maybe Mike
> will change his mind and patch the compiler in the mean time. It can't
> hurt to ask, anyway.

Many thanks. I'll write to Mike Roberts. If he won't patch the
compiler... well, I guess the next best thing is to remove the sound
resources from the executable.

Greg

Greg Boettcher

Jun 22, 2010, 8:12:39 PM6/22/10
On Jun 21, 9:19 pm, Emily Boegheim <emily.boegh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Update: When I wrote to Mike, he said that he fixed this in the audio
patch he wrote last July. So, following his advice, I downloaded and
unzipped:

http://www.tads.org/patch/htmltads-embedded-audio-fix.zip

...and I replaced the Author's Kit's version of htmlt3.exe with the
one in the .zip file. It worked!

Greg