[TADS] Silence Of The Lambs, just a question

Mark J Musante

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Patrick Kellum (pat...@otn.net) wrote:

> Just a question, I downloaded a TADS .GAM called Silence of the Lambs
> (lambs.gam). I loved it, but it is rather "unusual", is there some story
> behind it?

You loved it? Really? Or are you just saying that to get the (paranoid)
author to come out of the woodwork?

The story behind it:

A long time ago (last March), one of the many "Puzzle-less IF" threads started
up. At one point in the thread, Jacob Weinstien said:

> To turn this from the theoretical to the more specific: I'm arguing that
> one can do away with traditional IF puzzles and still provide a challenge
> to the reader/player. Imagine you're playing Lonesome Dove, the
> interactive version. You couldn't simply start off in Lonesome Dove,
> Texas, and type:
>
> >drive cattle to montana
> Congratulations! You've driven the cattle across country. The end.
>
> Instead, you'd have to interact with the men on the drive, and help them
> master their fears and fight the elements. These would be puzzles--but
> not traditional IF puzzles.

When Adam J. Thornton saw this, he decided he liked the idea, and posted
a bunch of one-liners from such works as "The Catcher in the Rye" ("go
nuts") and "Huckleberry Finn" ("escape with Jim").

A bloke named Ian, who goes (went?) by the pseudonym "Xiphias Gladius"
followed up with "The Grapes of Wrath" ("go California [and] starve"),
and, finally someone with the pseudonym "Tangle" (bout...@blade.wcc.govt.nz)
a one-liner from the "Silence of the Lambs".

Which I thought funny enough (and sufficiently, um, unlike the actual
book) to actually convert into a TADS game. On a whim, I posted it to
GMD and asked Volker if I could remain anonymous.

I guess I'm breaking that anonymity now, but I'd prefer (for obvious
reasons, I think) that the listing remain the way it is.

- Mark

Cyber-Babushka

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96
to Patrick Kellum

On 13 Nov 1996, Patrick Kellum wrote:

> Just a question, I downloaded a TADS .GAM called Silence of the Lambs
> (lambs.gam). I loved it, but it is rather "unusual", is there some story
> behind it?

I haven't looked at the game, but I assume it's based on the novel (and
movie) of the same name.

bonni
C++ Turbo Vision archive: http://brooks.wvn.wvnet.edu/tvhome
__ __
IC | XC | bonni mierzejewska "The Lone Quilter"
---+--- | u6...@wvnvm.wvnet.edu
NI | KA | Kelly's Creek Homestead, Maidsville, WV

Russell Wain Glasser

Nov 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/17/96

In <Pine.LNX.3.95.961116173825.343A-100000@seraphim> Cyber-Babushka

<u6...@wvnvm.wvnet.edu> writes:

>On 13 Nov 1996, Patrick Kellum wrote:
>
>> Just a question, I downloaded a TADS .GAM called Silence of the
Lambs
>> (lambs.gam). I loved it, but it is rather "unusual", is there some
story
>> behind it?
>
>I haven't looked at the game, but I assume it's based on the novel
(and
>movie) of the same name.
>
>bonni

Before you go and make an assumption like that, you'd better go
play the game first. I think you'll laugh your butt off when you
realize what it actually is.

Russell