Non-puzzle gameplay in IF

Christopher Armstrong

Oct 5, 2008, 2:48:49 PM10/5/08
Hi all.

Can anyone recommend some titles which explore types of gameplay
outside of the usual adventure game puzzle, but still maintains
unambiguous "IF-ness"? That is, I'm not interested in "IF Abuses", but
games which actually have a PC controlled by a player moving around in
a mostly usual world with the typical interactions. One-on-one combat
is an example of this that I've seen a number of times, so I'm looking
for other types still: strategic or tactical warfare (involving
numbers of troops), card game-like play, something more arcade-like,
or whatever. I'm really interested in seeing anything that's
"gameplay" but not a typical adventure-game puzzle.

I'm exploring the mechanisms for advancement in games that don't
employ puzzles: how to best advance the plot, or the PC's abilities,
and so on. I am a dreadful puzzle-solver, so I'm interested in writing
games that have alternative types of gameplay. I've got pretty well-
laid mechanics of gameplay in a WIP, but I want to see how other
authors have integrated their mechanics into the rest of the story.

Thanks,

-- Christopher Armstrong

Christopher Armstrong

Oct 5, 2008, 5:07:15 PM10/5/08
Hi all.

This is a repost from memory; google groups seems to have eaten my
last attempt at a post (at least, it hasn't appeared for me after a
couple of hours).

Can anyone recommend some IF that makes use of non-puzzle gameplay? I
don't mean IF Abuses, but rather IF using mostly normal idioms where
instead of figuring out puzzles as the primary advancement mechanic,
there's some other type of skill or luck-based gameplay. For example:
strategic or tactical warfare involving multiple troops, some sort of
card game-based system, or other more arcade-like gameplay (this is
purposefully vague). I've seen one-on-one combat, so I'm not quite as
interested in more examples of that, but if there are some good
recommendations I'd still like to hear them.

I am rather dreadful at solving puzzles, and I'd like to make games
that involve a more repeatable, skill-based gameplay. I have some well-
laid mechanics for a WIP, but now I'm particularly interested in how
other authors have integrated non-puzzle gameplay into the advancement
of story and character. How do you make a repeatable gameplay mechanic
not feel repetitive? How do you prevent players from rushing past
whatever obstacles you've placed for them? I have some idea of how I'd
like to answer these, but I'd like to see other examples.

Thanks.

-- Christopher Armstrong

Peter Pears

Oct 5, 2008, 7:17:52 PM10/5/08
On Oct 5, 10:07 pm, Christopher Armstrong <ra...@twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, but "Lock and Key" and
"Varicella" spring to mind. I may have completely misunderstood you,
mind.

Daphne Brinkerhoff

Oct 5, 2008, 7:42:42 PM10/5/08
On Oct 5, 6:17 pm, Peter Pears <peter_pe...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 5, 10:07 pm, Christopher Armstrong <ra...@twistedmatrix.com>
> wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend some IF that makes use of non-puzzle gameplay? I
> > don't mean IF Abuses, but rather IF using mostly normal idioms where
> > instead of figuring out puzzles as the primary advancement mechanic,
> > there's some other type of skill or luck-based gameplay. For example:
> > strategic or tactical warfare involving multiple troops, some sort of
> > card game-based system, or other more arcade-like gameplay (this is
> > purposefully vague). I've seen one-on-one combat, so I'm not quite as
> > interested in more examples of that, but if there are some good
> > recommendations I'd still like to hear them.

> I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, but "Lock and Key" and

> "Varicella" spring to mind. I may have completely misunderstood you,
> mind.

My computer just ate my reply post, so I'm just going to say:
Varicella -- not what the OP had in mind, Lock and Key -- maybe what
the OP had in mind. Other possibilities include Slap that Fish! and
Sylenius Mysterium.

--
Daphne

Christopher Armstrong

Oct 5, 2008, 8:36:26 PM10/5/08

Slap That Fish! definitely applies. I haven't yet played Varicella or
Sylenius Mysterium; I'll check them out.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS, or at least discussion on the nature of LOCK & KEY,
below

.

.

.

.

.

Lock & Key's puzzle is pretty close, except that it's just one puzzle
and then the game is over.

If the game:

* had you design multiple dungeons, perhaps in different shapes and
with different requirements,
* gave the PC access to different tools over time,
* required the player to deal with different types of prisoners, and
* allowed the player to use his experiential knowledge to deal with
certain situations (without *necessarily* losing first, as L&K does,
if I'm not missing anything)

then it would definitely be an example of the type of thing I'm trying
to do. Those points are just examples; I'm sure there are other things
you could do with that core game mechanic to turn it into a
repeatable, skill-based activity. Although, the last point seems to be
less of a possible way to change how L&K works and more of a general
design tenet. I'll have to think about that some more.

I think L&K's core mechanic is a pretty good one that could definitely
be extended in this direction.