First I7 Damusix powered game: "El Anillo III", by Mel Hython.

Eliuk Blau

Apr 28, 2009, 12:38:46 AM4/28/09
Hello. I am Eliuk Blau. I am pleased to present to the Anglophone
community an important new adventure in our Hispanic community. After
20 years of waiting, was finally published "El Anillo III" (The Ring
III), created by Mel Hython.

I notice this because this is the first adventure written in Inform7
which is powered by Damusix. This is not a demo, as in the previous
examples I have posted. This is a real adventure, and demostrates the
"practical use" of Damusix.

The adventure is in Spanish, of course. Anyway, those who are braver
(or those who understand Spanish), may play with it and see some
interesting things that are done with the audio.

The adventure uses fade-in and fade-out effects (but not in real-
time). The reason for this is that it has also created an "environment-
er of random sounds" (I do not know how to translate the Spanish word
"ambientador" to English equivalent). And certain sounds plays
"randomly" every certain amount of time (in real-time) to the delight
of the players. The "environment-er" is written using the utilities
provided by Damusix and the mechanism of the fabulous extension "Glulx
Entry Points" by Emily Short. Ah, and the adventure also uses multiple
soundchannels.

A note for players who do not understand Spanish: moving around the
rooms may begin to hear the random sounds if an NPC is near (perhaps
quite separate from one sound to another ... "decision of the
author" :-P If you don't hear anything, and a NPC is near, you wait a
moment in the same room... [literally, I am not referring to the WAIT
command, remember that is in real-time]); to toggle the music, use the
command MUSICA; to toggle sounds, use the command EFECTOS (and this
will result in an elegant fade-in or fade-out music, as
appropriate. :-)

Ah, this adventure uses the Glulx Veneer Aceleration... a warning,
just in case... hehehe! :-P

URL for Downloading:
http://www.caad.es/modulos.php?modulo=descarga&id=1625

Thank you for your attention. :-)

Saludos!
Eliuk Blau.

Eliuk Blau

Apr 28, 2009, 2:59:23 AM4/28/09
Oh, I recommend playing the adventure with Windows Glulxe v0.4.4,
Windows Git v1.2.4, Gargoyle-Glulxe v0.4.4 or Gargoyle-Git v1.2.4 (Git
versions prior to 1.2.3 do not work properly with Damusix). I have
read that Damusix works well on Spatterlight for MacOSX, so the
adventure should be work fine in that interpreter... except in the
case that it uses a very old version of Glulxe (one that does not
support the latest versions of Glulx-VM [by acceleration things, not
Damusix things :-P]), but I do not know.

Eliuk.

Isxek

Apr 28, 2009, 2:42:29 PM4/28/09

Any chance of an English translation sometime in the future? I'd like
to see how Damusix works too.

Eliuk Blau

Apr 28, 2009, 3:06:26 PM4/28/09
On 28 abr, 14:42, Isxek <jalespr...@excite.com> wrote:
> Any chance of an English translation sometime in the future? I'd like
> to see how Damusix works too.- Ocultar texto de la cita -

Damusix provides natural language phrases in English. Only the game is
in Spanish, but the extension is usable in English for better
compatibility.

I am considering releasing a public beta of Damusix during the time
that I take to create the documentation and this is subsequently
translated.

The closed Beta is now in the hands of testers. But I wish to make
public for the rest of the community can "play" with it.

Saludos!
Eliuk Blau.

Eliuk Blau

Apr 29, 2009, 6:52:24 PM4/29/09
Mel Hython has published a new version of "Anillo III", the v1.2. I do
not know exactly what this new version brings improvements, but I
leave the link to those interested in downloading it. Indeed, the
package includes the source code of the game, so it may look a little
using this gives Damusix.

http://www.caad.es/modulos.php?modulo=descarga&id=1625

Saludos!
Eliuk Blau.

Uto

Apr 29, 2009, 8:44:46 AM4/29/09
I have tested Anillo 3, and I can say that Damusix makes a great job
on the feeling of the game. I mean, being examining something and
hearing an grunt orc close to you is just fantastic. The game starts
with you in a swamp and that music+effects, together with the feeling
of being lost and unable to get out makes the atmosphear of the game
just incredible. If making that with Damusix is easy, then the library
it's a must be for any Inform music capable game.

In fact, Eliuk already gave me some ideas that I will probably also
apply to Superglus (that at the moment can use just two channels).

> I am considering releasing a public beta of Damusix during the time
> that I take to create the documentation and this is subsequently
> translated.

What are you waiting for? Go for it slacker! ;)

mel.h...@gmail.com

May 6, 2009, 7:08:28 AM5/6/09
On 28 abr, 20:42, Isxek <jalespr...@excite.com> wrote:

> Any chance of an English translation sometime in the future? I'd like

> to see how Damusix works too.- Ocultar texto de la cita -
>

> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

No chance at all, at least by me. But you can 'hear' the fictión
without understanding nothing at all (I am not very sure if anyone is
understanding anything in this fiction anyway, so, it does not
matter).

See your all in another life or so!

(http://mel-hython.blogspot.com/2009/04/si-no-lo-he-dicho-20-
veces.html)