Announce: RoFLComp (and five others)

David Fisher

Oct 31, 2008, 4:59:51 AM10/31/08
RoFLComp is a minicomp for games that involve some kind of physical
simulation. Some classic "tricky" objects to simulate are rope, fire and
liquid (thus RoFL), but these are not required to be present in the game.

The aim is not to produce a technical demo, but rather to create a complete
game that involves physical simulation (ie. the simulation should fit with
the rest of the story).

Emily Short's Metamorphoses would qualify, since it focuses on physical
properties of objects, even though that game is based on magic.

Submit games by February 1st, 2009.

The full rules for this minicomp are available on the IFWiki:

http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/RoFLComp

... as well as the other five:

http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/EnvComp
http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/AbilityComp
http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/NPCComp
http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/SenseComp
http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/GameplayComp

Amazingly, there have been enough volunteers to allow each competition to
have a panel of ten judges or more.

Judges include:

Aaron Reed, Adam Thornton, Christopher Huang, D. J. Hastings,
Dan Shiovitz, David Jones, Duncan Stevens, Emily Boegheim,
Eric Eve, Greg Boettcher, J. Robinson Wheeler, Jacqueline Lott,
Jason Dyer, Jim Aikin, Jimmy Maher, Jon Ingold, Lucian Smith,
Lucian Smith, Magnus Olsson, Mark Musante, Michael Coyne,
Mike Snyder, Mike Sousa, Robb Sherwin, Ross Presser,
Stephen Bond, Stephen Granade, Victor Gijsbers, Yoon Ha Lee

... and possibly others.

Good luck to all potential authors!

David Fisher

Sean Huxter

Oct 31, 2008, 8:35:46 AM10/31/08
Wait. Shouldn't RoFLComp be the humor competition?

Sean.

"David Fisher" <david...@australiaonline.net.au> wrote in message

markm

Oct 31, 2008, 10:18:26 AM10/31/08
On Oct 31, 4:59 am, "David Fisher"
<davidfis...@australiaonline.net.au> wrote:

> Aaron Reed, Adam Thornton, Christopher Huang, D. J. Hastings,
> Dan Shiovitz, David Jones, Duncan Stevens, Emily Boegheim,
> Eric Eve, Greg Boettcher, J. Robinson Wheeler, Jacqueline Lott,
> Jason Dyer, Jim Aikin, Jimmy Maher, Jon Ingold, Lucian Smith,
> Lucian Smith, Magnus Olsson, Mark Musante, Michael Coyne,

Mr Smith gets two votes? I call shenanigans!

David Fisher

Oct 31, 2008, 4:18:54 PM10/31/08
"David Fisher" <david...@australiaonline.net.au> wrote in message

> http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/AbilityComp

Someone asked some good questions about AbilityComp (Feb - Apr 2009),
so the description of that competition has been expanded a little:

The ability should be something abnormal rather than a "natural ability"
(eg. not a bird's ability to fly), but an exceptional skill would be
acceptable (such as a beautiful singing voice). The focus of the game should
be on a single ability rather than several; the ability to "do magic" might
be too broad for this competition, unless the PC's repertoire is fairly
limited.

David Fisher

David Fisher

Oct 31, 2008, 3:38:59 PM10/31/08
"Sean Huxter" <sean....@SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message

> Wait. Shouldn't RoFLComp be the humor competition?

One reflection, it should probably have been SimComp ... please mentally
search and replace as necessary.

David Fisher

Mike Snyder

Oct 31, 2008, 6:53:27 PM10/31/08
"David Fisher" <david...@australiaonline.net.au> wrote in message

Is it too late to change?

--- Mike.

David Fisher

Oct 31, 2008, 8:37:33 PM10/31/08
"Mike Snyder" <wy...@prowler-pro.com> wrote in message

Probably ...

Though if it ends up with a large number of hilarious entries that don't
involve any simulation, I'll know why. :-)

David Fisher

dott.Piergiorgio

Nov 1, 2008, 12:18:24 AM11/1/08
David Fisher ha scritto:

Il'' second that motion. RoFLComp is really a misnomer, not by the
acronym per se, but for the meaning now associated to everyone to said
acrony,...

I'm totally for a change of the Comp name; and simulating IF will be
more than welcome; AFAICT the only IF in this genre is Infocom's
good'ol' Suspended.....

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

David Fisher

Nov 1, 2008, 8:55:03 AM11/1/08
"markm" <mark.m...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Oct 31, 4:59 am, "David Fisher"
> <davidfis...@australiaonline.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Aaron Reed, Adam Thornton, Christopher Huang, D. J. Hastings,
>> Dan Shiovitz, David Jones, Duncan Stevens, Emily Boegheim,
>> Eric Eve, Greg Boettcher, J. Robinson Wheeler, Jacqueline Lott,
>> Jason Dyer, Jim Aikin, Jimmy Maher, Jon Ingold, Lucian Smith,
>> Lucian Smith, Magnus Olsson, Mark Musante, Michael Coyne,
>
> Mr Smith gets two votes? I call shenanigans!

It's actually his non-evil twin; only their mother can tell
them apart. Author of the highly acclaimed The Ecifed,
about a monkey who climbs a tower while learning sign
language and spear throwing.

(Not to imply that the other Lucian is the evil twin. Both
of them are pretty nice, actually).

David Fisher

David Fisher

Nov 3, 2008, 3:22:01 AM11/3/08
Various people wrote:

>>> Is it too late to change?
>>
>> Probably ...
>>
>> Though if it ends up with a large number of hilarious entries that don't
>> involve any simulation, I'll know why. :-)
>

> Il'' second that motion. RoFLComp is really a misnomer, not by the acronym
> per se, but for the meaning now associated to everyone to said acrony,...
>
> I'm totally for a change of the Comp name

The scales are almost tipped ... if anyone else strongly feels that RoFLComp
needs to be renamed to SimComp (or something else?), I'll do that then.

David Fisher

S. John Ross

Nov 3, 2008, 3:44:58 AM11/3/08

> The scales are almost tipped ... if anyone else strongly feels that RoFLComp
> needs to be renamed to SimComp (or something else?), I'll do that then.
>
> David Fisher

SimComp's easier to say aloud, in addition to everything else :)

David Fisher

Nov 3, 2008, 5:35:02 AM11/3/08
"S. John Ross" <sj...@io.com> wrote in message

>> The scales are almost tipped ... if anyone else strongly feels that
>> RoFLComp
>> needs to be renamed to SimComp (or something else?), I'll do that then.
>>

> SimComp's easier to say aloud, in addition to everything else :)

... and the balance tips. OK, it's officially SimComp now, and has been
renamed on the IFWiki.

David Fisher

Paul J. Furio

Nov 3, 2008, 8:00:29 PM11/3/08
On Oct 31, 4:37 pm, "David Fisher"

<davidfis...@australiaonline.net.au> wrote:
> Though if it ends up with a large number of hilarious entries that don't
> involve any simulation, I'll know why. :-)

I would argue that good simulation is easier to do than good humor.
At least the former can be proved to be good, whereas the latter is in
the eye of the beholder.

-paul